How To Rivet A Chainsaw Chain At Home
1 How to sharpen a chainsaw chain correctly. We will tell you the tool yourself!
A chainsaw without a normal chain belt is like a machine without a motor. This proven postulate will be confirmed by any tech-savvy person. The chain should always be well sharpened if you want to always use your chainsaw. Otherwise, she will not forgive you for miscalculations. This means that you will not see accuracy, efficiency and safety of work.
Pay attention to the sharpness of the chain and escaping chips. If everything is in order with sharpness and sharpening, then the chips will be almost uniform, and the sawdust obtained at the output will be square in shape. If there is a need for sharpening, then this will be seen by the dust in the shavings and sawdust in the form of needles.
Sharpening the chain with a machine
Chainsaw device diagram.
- Manual machine
Not all chains lend themselves to good sharpening with the help of a file. For example, if the cutting edge of the chain loses its shape, sharpening it will entail the application of many forces.
For such cases, a machine is an excellent option. The machines are divided into manual machines, powered by electricity, with a grindstone or grinding wheels. This method allows you to achieve greater accuracy in work, although it is not new.
The preparation procedure is as follows.
Chainsaw chain cutter pitch.
The first step is to loosen the clamping adjusting screw. Then the chain is set so that the sharpening stone serves as a guide for the direction of its links. Then set the desired angle for sharpening.
Sharpening is possible in two ways:
- Consistently. The teeth are machined one after the other, with a change in polarity.
- Machining every 2nd cutter. Left-sided, then right-sided. You can vice versa (optional). In this version, the sharpening polarity is not changed.
Sharpening rules on manual machines:
- The optimal level of sharpening is determined by focusing on the bluest tooth.
- Do not grind the chain deeply, as this will reduce the strength of the link and the life of the tool.
- Immediately after sharpening, it is recommended to blow the chain with compressed air, and after # 8211 put it in oil for two hours.
Pros of the option: sharpening accuracy. Cons: the process is laborious and time consuming.
- Automatic machine
The main parameters of the chainsaw chain.
Automatic sharpening of chains on special machines is in great demand in practice. Machines are more often used in woodworking establishments and sawmills, often at home.
The machine is represented by a compact “box” with a whetstone inside. The saw is placed in a box, fixed and closed.
Then the maximum power is set on the chainsaw and turned on. The driven chain is sharpened against the stone inside.
Advantages of sharpening: the process is the shortest and most elementary, does not imply that the owner of the saw has special skills and efforts.
Cons: requires additional purchase of chains produced by the same manufacturer from which the device itself was purchased.
How can you sharpen a chainsaw chain with a file yourself?
- File chain sharpening
- Sharpening the chain with a machine
- Cutter sharpening angle grinder
The quality of the chainsaw is due to its competent operation, and most importantly, proper and timely maintenance of the chain. The sharpness of the latter should be at its best all the time. Good sharpening of the # 8211 chain is a guarantee of comfortable and safe use of the chainsaw. over, professionals say: a well-sharpened chainsaw chain is much more important than the performance of its engine.
Chainsaw tooth device diagram.
Points indicating the urgency of taking measures to sharpen the chainsaw chain:
- Saw rotation speed is low
- The instrument starts to drive in different directions
- The characteristics of the shavings change: dust appears in it, the sawdust begins to resemble more needles.
Chainsaw chain sharpening scheme with a file.
There is no set deadline for sharpening the saw. Professionals sharpen the tool a little every time before starting to work with it. The chain becomes dull depending on the intensity of its use. It is enough to pay attention to the characteristic signs of bluntness during work.
Sharpening a chainsaw chain is not difficult. Anyone with the skill of sharpening cutting tools can do this task. Naturally, you will have to sharpen by means of special sharpening devices.
The chain tooth is presented with a complex configuration and is equipped with two edges: on top (has a bevel at some angle) and on the side. The chain device makes its own adjustments to the operation.
How to sharpen the chainsaw chain yourself and what options are available for this, this will be discussed below.
How to sharpen a chainsaw chain at home. How to sharpen a chainsaw chain. Instructions for action
Cutter sharpening angle grinder
Someone considers this option “barbaric”, as if it harms the chainsaw. In fact, this is not the case. The method is quite popular and the most difficult to execute. There is still a chance that an inexperienced person can harm the instrument.
If sharpening by this method has never been done independently, it is better to choose a different path.
The chain is not removed from the tool. A previously used (with rounded edges) disc (2.5 mm) for metal is used.
The sharpening angle is selected by eye. It is recommended to install a wooden wedge between the side of the bar below and the chain.
Advantages: long service life of equipment after sharpening (4-7 sharpening) low cost, little time and effort is spent.
Disadvantages: Requires mandatory measures to protect hands (gloves) and face (protective mask), which will help to avoid injury during the sharpening process and make the process much more pleasant. For those who do not have sufficient experience in working with an angle grinder and cannot sharpen the teeth with the necessary accuracy, this option should not be considered.
Choose the most suitable method of sharpening # 8211 and get started. Have a good process!
How to know when it’s time to sharpen your chainsaw?
There are several ways to understand that the main element of the chainsaw is time to sharpen, namely:
- You put more effort into the saw;
- Chain slack is observed;
- There is vibration when cutting;
- The saw cut is ragged.
If in the process of performing any actions with the tool you observe at least one of these reasons, then you need to give the chainsaw for sharpening, or sharpen the chain on the chainsaw with your own hands. Those who are engaged in AL-KO forestry or actively work with wood often have to sharpen their chainsaw. In some cases, the saw needs to be sharpened several times during the day.
Possible ways to sharpen the chain
Sharpening method with a file
The most affordable, but long enough way to return the chainsaw to working condition is a file. To find a round file, you need to know the chain size.
- For links with Ø 1.3. File Ø 4 is required;
- For Ø 1.6. Ø 5.2.
To sharpen the limiter itself, they resort to using a flat file. In the event that you are going to do this process for the first time, it is better to hone your skills on cheap copies.
Sharpening is as follows:
- It is necessary to first turn on the chain brake, and then fix the saw bar in a vice;
- Attach the sharpening template so that the arrow points to the nose of the tire;
- Make a note with which of the teeth the process was started;
- Follow the directions for the process. Please note that there are factory notches on the teeth, which indicate which sharpening angle is the maximum;
- Limiters are not always sharpened, this is done as needed.
To understand whether you need to work with the limiter, focus on the height of the teeth, if it has decreased, then the limiter will have to be sharpened.
What parameters need to be taken into account for sharpening the chainsaw chain with a file:
- The pressure during the whole process should be controlled, since the force applied during this must be the same.
- The file should not extend beyond the part of the cutting edge by more than 1/5 of its working surface.
- An equal amount of movement is required for each of the chain links.
- Sharpening movements must be performed in the same direction.
- With teeth of different heights, it is necessary to focus on the one that is lower than all.
- Budgetary way;
- The ability to perform at home;
- No special skills required.
- Requires time and physical activity;
- Not always this method can be useful, when changing the shape of the cutting edge, the chain, therefore, cannot be corrected.
How to sharpen a chainsaw correctly
The cutting element of any chainsaw is a chain, but after a certain time or when working with low-quality wood, it tends to become dull. Therefore, sharpening the chainsaw chain is an integral part of the operation of the device.
Sharpening method using electric machines
It is not always possible to use a tool with a template. There are situations when it is necessary to use the machine. They are of two types:
The machines have special functions that make it possible to position the chain at the desired angle. Such a machine is simple enough to use and allows you to correctly correct all parameters of the chain. It takes 2 to 3 movements to adjust the parameters of one tooth. To work with the limiter, you need to change the file to flat.
The cost of these devices is certainly not low, but with regular use of a chainsaw, this machine will be simply irreplaceable and will pay off over time.
- Allows you to restore the shape of the teeth;
- Fast chain sharpening;
- Product cost;
- Stationary use.
Chainsaw teeth specifics
Saw teeth have their own specifics, therefore, in order to understand which part of the teeth should be sharpened, you need to know how the process of sawing wood works. In fact, this process can be compared with a plane.
The cutting link of the teeth is arranged as follows:
- Tooth scapula;
- Cutoff depth limiter;
- End face;
- Top edge.
During the manual sharpening procedure, it is necessary to control such parameters as the sharpening angle and the height level of the limiter. These parameters should remain close to those stated by the manufacturer. Correct sharpening guarantees the correct performance of the tool.
It is not recommended to grind links too much or change their order. The correct location is responsible for the correct operation of the instrument, otherwise there is a chance of increasing the load on the body and the motor of the instrument. There is a likelihood of rupture of links, as well as a guarantee of a curved cut.
The main thing to pay attention to when performing the process at home and with your own hands is the following: the higher the angle value, the more the saw performance increases. Therefore, it is necessary to carry out the process of bringing the saw into working condition at an acute angle in the range from 25 to 35 degrees. Exceptions include cases when it is necessary to perform a longitudinal cut, then the angle is 10 degrees.
Helpful Tips for Maintaining the Chain
Only with proper maintenance of the tool you can not worry about its service life. You can take the saw to the workshop in a timely manner as a preventive measure, or you can just talk with specialists to understand how to sharpen its chain yourself.
Here are some helpful tips for caring for this tool:
- It is necessary to control the sharpness of the chain so that the teeth do not grind off completely;
- Periodically, for example, before starting work, you need to lubricate the drive sprocket with machine oil;
- The tire should be rearranged from time to time so that it does not wear off on one side;
- It is necessary to regularly check the condition of the fuel, as well as the air filter, which are in the engine, in the tool for water and dirt;
- Before starting to work with the tool, you need to check the tightening of the nuts and screws so as not to injure.
Not many people use a chainsaw regularly. It is usually only needed during the pruning season. It also happens that the tool gathers dust for a long time, no one uses it. To protect it from breakdown, you need to pour the fuel mixture into the engine, start it so that it can stand for a while. It is better to inspect the tool in a timely manner than to pay for carburetor and engine repairs later.
Demonstrates the sharpening process of the tool chain.
Sharpening with a special set
Typically, such a set consists of two files, a round and a flat file, a holder, hooks for easy cleaning of the teeth, a template, gauges and several handles that can be put on files.
The holder contributes to the successful fixing of the position of the file in the working process in relation to the chain, controlling the protrusion in the chainsaw above the edge of the tooth and responding to all possible tilt angles.
The gauge allows you to adjust the exact depth of the tooth edge. It is a metal plate on which there is a limiter, which is required specifically before sharpening.
The template performs useful functions of both the gauge and the holder, as it is responsible for sharpening the cutting teeth and the stop.
When working with a sharpening kit, you must adhere to a certain sequence of actions:
- Install a tight clip for the chain, which will slow down its sliding.
- Secure the template as much as possible. It is important that the arrows embossed on the template point exactly to the nose of the tire.
- Make a mark on the first tooth, from which sharpening will begin, so as not to get confused.
- Work with sharpeners from yourself.
- Change a round file to a flat file and take a control tooth.
If the chain teeth are not dull, then you can get by with a sharpening kit. For more serious work with the tool, you will have to use the machine.
How to sharpen a chainsaw chain yourself
In order to ensure the quality of work with the chainsaw and increase its service life, it is necessary to regularly sharpen the tool chain. It is important to do this in a timely manner, since you can violate safety rules when working with a chainsaw and injure yourself. The final result of the laborious process depends on how to sharpen the chain. According to experts, the sharpening of the teeth should be done as their sharpness deteriorates.
Using an angle grinder
As a rule, it will be difficult for an inexperienced person to handle an angle grinder in such a matter. There is a risk of ruining the instrument. This is a very difficult method, and it is better to refuse it by a person who does not know how to handle this equipment.
How to get rid of a toothache, read the article.
It is necessary to take a disc for metal with a thickness of 2.5 mm and put it on an angle grinder. There is absolutely no need to remove the chain from the chainsaw. The sharpening angle is chosen exclusively by eye. Experts recommend only installing a wooden wedge between the chain and the underside of the bar.
The positive aspects of this method are that you have to spend a little time, and the service life of the equipment can be extended even at home.
The disadvantages when working with an angle grinder include the need to adhere to safety measures. It is imperative to have a protective face mask and gloves for hands.
Chainsaw chain sharpening
It is better to entrust such a difficult matter as sharpening the cutters of such a device to a specialist who at least has an idea of the tools with which to work in the process. It is not difficult to determine when to take emergency sharpening measures. As a rule, the chainsaw itself manifests itself from the bad side and this happens at the moment:
- Reducing the saw rotation speed;
- When the instrument starts twitching in different directions;
- Characteristic changes in the quality of the shavings, it seems to turn not into sawdust, but into needles.
In addition, you can understand that it is time to sharpen the teeth of the tool by dust in the chips. It simply should not be noticeable during the workflow.
Every owner wants to try to do it on his own, relying on the good result of his work. over, there are many ways and tools to help you do this. For this you will need:
- Files of various sizes and shapes;
- Angle Grinder;
- Sharpening kit;
- Quality chain sharpening machines.
By the time the tool can be sharpened, depending on the intensity of using the chainsaw. Of course, if there is no special need to turn it on, then the teeth will remain sharp. Of course, it is more difficult for lumberjacks, because they practically do not part with this tool, and summer residents constantly grind down the chain during the pruning season.
When working with round and flat files, remember to keep the spacing between the teeth in mind. It is unlikely that everything will work out the first time with an inexperienced specialist. This is a very time-consuming process that requires close attention.
First you need to sharpen the cutting teeth, to which it is better to attach a template. Without applying excessive effort, you need to carry out equivalent pressing at an angle with smooth movements, gradually approaching the saw bar. The angle of inclination can be very diverse, depending on the chain pitch.
After the sharpening of the teeth has been finished, you should start grinding the stop tooth. In this case, it is also better to use a template so as not to accidentally protrude beyond the mark. A flat file is useful when working with the limiter.
Rivet Removing Machine
For disassembly, a specialized machine is used. A punch. The machine is designed as a small mechanical press. In its lower part, a removable anvil is installed, which has grooves of different sizes. The working rod of the device also has nozzles of different diameters. This makes it possible to use the machine for chains from different manufacturers. The rivet is removed by squeezing it out of the seat.
Reasons for chain stretching
A chainsaw chain, regardless of manufacturer, can stretch for several reasons:
- Incorrect operation of the oil pump. Insufficient oil supply leads to overheating of the chain and its rapid stretching.
- Normal wear and tear. Occurs as a result of prolonged use of the tool.
- Use of poor quality lubricant.
- Violation of the rules for operating a chainsaw.
Important: If any irregularities in the operation of the oil pump are detected, it is necessary to eliminate the malfunctions, ensure normal lubrication of the saw blade. Failure to do so may result in drive sprocket failure. You should also pay attention to the quality of the oil. The presence of various types of abrasive microparticles in the oil is not allowed.
Rivet removal methods without the use of specialized devices
There are several ways to remove rivets without using specialized tools:
- Chip off ledges on emery. When using this method, it is necessary to control the degree of pressure on the rivet in order to avoid damage to the working parts.
- Cut with the cut-off wheel of an angle grinder. It should be borne in mind that in this case the metal heats up, which will affect its properties.
- Saw off heads with a file or file. With this method, the risk of link damage is minimized.
- Chop down with a chisel. Before starting work, you will need to securely fasten the chain in a vice.
After the outer protrusions are completely cut off, you will need to knock the rivet out of the seat. To do this, you need to choose a punch, the diameter of which will correspond to the diameter of the hole. The punch must be placed on the rivet and knocked out with a sharp blow with a hammer. After completing these steps, the chain will be disconnected.
Attention: To avoid damage to the links, they must be securely fastened. In addition, the punch should be installed strictly perpendicular to the rivet cut.
How to shorten a chainsaw chain with your own hands. Procedure
Often during the operation of the chainsaw, the saw chain stretches, which makes it impossible to further use the tool. Today there are specialized workshops that provide services for shortening chainsaw chains, but it is possible to shorten the chainsaw chain with your own hands at home or right at the workplace.
Tools that you need to shorten
You can properly shorten the chainsaw chain with your own hands using special tools.
Rivet setting machine
After disassembling and removing the chain element, the working links must be reconnected. For this purpose, a riveting machine is used. The assembly process takes place using a special work roller, which is driven by an electric motor.
The rivet is clamped between the stationary anvil and the work roll. The operator independently sets the pressure of the work roll using the adjusting screw. During the rotation of the roller, the edge of the rivet is gradually crushed, which makes it impossible to detach the links from each other.
Reference: the use of machines in order to shorten the chainsaw chain allows the build quality to be as close as possible to the factory sample. However, these devices are quite expensive, and their purchase for home use is unprofitable. In addition, it is not always possible to use specialized devices right at the workplace. In this regard, shortening can be performed with improvised tools.
Why stretching occurs
Among the owners of chainsaws there is such a question: “why does the chain stretch on chainsaws?” There are more than enough reasons for the chain to stretch. It should only be noted that this factor cannot be eliminated even with the use of expensive cutting products. The reasons for the stretching of the saw head are the following factors:
- Defective oil pump. If in the process of sawing wood, a reduced amount of oil is supplied to the chain, this will lead to overheating of the product, and at high temperatures the metal tends to expand. Long-term operation with a malfunctioning pump will lead not only to accelerated stretching, but also to a deterioration in the quality of the metal, so soon such an element will need to be replaced. When working, after each oil filling, be sure to check that there is sufficient oil supply to the cutting device. This is done by bringing the tool operating at working speed to a clean sheet of paper, on which traces of oil should remain.
- The use of low-quality lubricants. Many owners of chainsaws replace special oil for chainsaws with working off, which is highly discouraged, since it contains metal particles. These particles fall on the cutting element, which leads not only to increased overheating and stretching of the material, but also to dullness of the cutting teeth.
- Unfavorable working conditions. If work is carried out where there are such components as dust, dirt or earth on the working surface, then rubbing occurs at the joints of the links, which as a result leads to stretching.
In addition, experienced craftsmen know that new chains have been rubbing for some time, so stretching is simply inevitable. For such purposes, all chainsaws have adjusting screws to restore the tension of the product. No matter how high quality the chain is, the process of stretching it cannot be avoided. The question is different: how long can it last? It depends on timely diagnostics, as well as on the quality of the lubricants used.
It’s important to know! They resort to shortening the chain when the chainsaw is no longer subject to adjustment. By shortening the chain, you can continue to operate the tool for some time, until the moment you purchase a new product.
Tools for work
To remove the link of the cutting element, it is required to initially rivet the rivets. Riveting requires tools such as a hammer, anvil, fine bit, vise, and an angle grinder with an emery wheel. These devices, although they will not allow you to perform manipulations reliably, but their use will allow you to perform the procedure yourself. To do the work better, you will need to use a special type of punch.
It’s important to know! If, due to duty, you often have to shorten chains for a chainsaw or saw, then it is recommended to purchase special tools that will facilitate the work, as well as speed up the process.
Some of the tools to help make it easier and faster to remove links from a cutter include:
- Rivet punch. A specialized machine that allows you to quickly remove rivets. The simplest tool that works like a press. In the set for such tools there are accessories that allow you to accurately remove rivets.
- Riveting and rolling machine. Such a tool is equipped with a motor with a gearbox. This tool allows riveting of 0.325 and 0.404 inch links. It is not at all rational to purchase such a machine specially for home use, since it is quite expensive.
Having collected the tools and materials, you need to get to work.
We shorten the chain on the chainsaw with our own hands
Other methods are known for removing rivets in order to ultimately shorten the chain. They are presented:
- Use emery, which grinds off the rivet head. At the same time, the process is controlled so that the neighboring link is not damaged.
- Use an angle grinder. You can also remove the rivet with an angle grinder using an emery or abrasive wheel.
- Apply a chisel and hammer. To do this, the product should be clamped in a vise for the guides, and then resort to cutting rivets.
After removing two adjacent rivet heads, you will need to separate the link. To do this, you need to place the barbs between the connecting plates, and then use a hammer to hit it with jerky movements. The plate should eventually fall out of the rivets. After that, you can resort to disconnecting and removing the link, as well as riveting the chain.
It’s important to know! When buying a connecting link, you will need to consider the type of your chain, as well as the pitch and profile.
Many people use such links from unnecessary chains, but it is highly discouraged to implement this. The connecting link with the riveting element must be put on the chain, and then positioned on the anvil so that the open part looks up. The top plate is located on the rivet, after which it is lightly tapped with a hammer. As soon as the plate is firmly in place, you can immediately resort to flattening the rig. For this, a sharp impact with a hammer is carried out, placing a barb or core on the rivet. The second rivet is riveted in a similar way. The presence of a thickening of the protruding part will indicate that the procedure was carried out efficiently and reliability is ensured.
At the end of the work carried out, it will be necessary to check the movement of the connected chain links. First you need to adjust the tension, and then resort to a test with a working motor. These simple steps can extend the life of stretched or broken chains. In addition, old chains can be installed on a shortened bar, having previously adjusted the cutting product to the appropriate length.