How to Run a New Chainsaw Properly
Choose the right chainsaw for yourself. It’s not the most difficult thing; extending its service life is much more difficult. The first thing a person who bought a chainsaw, is the task. Run it in. This procedure is mandatory and is key in the life of the instrument. You can’t just start a new chain saw and start working. She needs to be fully tested and prepared before starting to perform her tasks. Protective equipment should be used, as working with a chainsaw can be dangerous. When sawing wood chips fly, so you should protect your eyes. Also, when working with tools, it is better to wear gloves so as not to injure your hands.
Why is it necessary to run a new chainsaw
This is a complex process that requires a responsible approach. Chainsaw. This is not an exception, but rather a rule. All two-stroke engine tools require break-in. Without proper break-in, the life of the tool will be much shorter, and it will work worse. Everyone who bought this tool should know how to break in a chainsaw.
Why do this? During these manipulations, lapping of the engine parts and the saw headset is carried out.
You need to understand that you need to study the instructions for the tool in detail. You must remember her and use all the recommendations. There is also a lot of information about what you can’t do or what you need to do. If you are a “layman” and have never encountered running a chainsaw, the manual for your tool should be your handbook.
How to break in a chainsaw: step by step instructions
Before running in, the chainsaw first starts up. Be sure to prepare and properly install the headset. The fuel mixture should already be waiting “in the wings”, the quality of the break-in is more dependent on it.
Here is a new, sparkling instrument. Looking at him, the question appears: “What now needs to be done?”. After reading the instructions, you find out that you need a run-in and the first start should be special. How to get a new chainsaw is not yet clear, but now everything will become clear.
The first launch we are sure to do with a headset. You should not start the engine without a tire and a chain: the tool should work with them, so it will get the proper load. Do not make high revs, this will negatively affect the further work of the saw.
After installing the headset, you need to do the following things:
- Make a fuel mixture;
- Check the lubricant and make sure that oil is coming to the bar and that the chain is constantly lubricated.
Choice of oil for a chainsaw
Particular attention should be paid to the choice of oil, the operation of the entire tool depends on it. The higher its quality. The longer and more efficient the chainsaw will be. You need to buy a special oil that is made specifically for such engines. When using an improper lubricant, frequent problems will be:
- Engine breakdowns;
- Problems with ignition;
- The chainsaw will stall, and sometimes simply refuse to start;
- Overheating of the saw.
Different parts require different lubricants. One oil is not suitable for all tasks. The selection of this material. One of the most important things when interacting with a chainsaw. The life span of the instrument depends on the decision made.
Special lubricants have been created for Foresta saws, and engine oil will do the job of protecting the “heart” of the tool. Chain lubricant is not suitable for the motor, otherwise the tool life may be reduced. Even if the oil is of high quality, but is used for other purposes, nothing good will come of it.
For saws Foresta specially made branded lubricants that make working with them easier and further protect against overheating.
First Run Fuel Mixture
Than half of the chain saws on the market use two-stroke engines. No special oil for active parts is provided for such engines. You have to make a special grease that can replace it. For the manufacture you will need good quality gasoline and motor oil recommended by the manufacturer.
The choice of components for the mixture
The basis for our mixture will be gasoline. You need to take an oil product whose octane number is more than 90. You should not save and take dubious fuel, then you will pay more for repairs. Octane boosting additives are also a dubious choice.
The owners have a choice between leaded and unleaded gasoline. For an engine without a catalyst, you need to take the first option, respectively, if the catalyst is installed, take the second type.
The choice of oil is not difficult, just take a branded lubricant from the company of the manufacturer of the chainsaw.
If there is no brand name. Use JASOFB or ISOEGB class oils.
Fuel Mixture Production
To break in the tool, the fuel mixture is made in accordance with a ratio of 1:25, where 40 ml of oil is needed per 1 liter of gasoline. Be sure to respect the proportions; non-compliance can be fatal for the device.
We take the washed vessel and do everything according to the instructions:
- Pour half of the necessary gasoline into the container;
- Pour all the oil;
- Stir the resulting substance;
- Add the remaining gasoline and mix.
The shows how to make it, just do not forget about the proportions. Depending on the chainsaw, they differ.
Check for grease
Now an important step, we need to check the lubrication. Please note that this is always done, it doesn’t matter what time you work with the saw. This will protect the tool from unexpected breakdowns and overheating. You need to check the following points:
- How much oil is left in the tank;
- The condition of the channels of the saw blade;
- The grease should be on the needle bearing of the drive sprocket;
- Is there grease on the driven sprocket?
If you see that the channels are clogged. Be sure to clean them and grease everything. Inspections have shown that Foresta chainsaws consume 40% less fuel and lubricant. This greatly facilitates the work with them.
First Chainsaw Launch: Step by Step
Upon completion of all the above actions, we proceed to launch. The motor of our saw is not heated, so a cold start is made. We put the instrument in a stable position, and then proceed according to the instructions:
- We put the chain brake in the idle position;
- Turn on the ignition;
- We set the air damper in the closed position;
- If the saw has a decompression valve. Close it;
- We put the throttle in the starting position;
- With your left hand we take the front handle of the chainsaw and pull down;
- Foot hold the protective shield of the right handle;
- With your right hand, pull the starter handle until the ratchet dogs catch on the starter drum.
- When you start to feel a little resistance, make a sharp jerk to yourself.
- In the combustion chamber you will see a flash, after that you need to return the air damper to its original place;
- We start the chainsaw again;
- The engine is started, at this moment you need to release the throttle.
Stages of running a new chainsaw
You have successfully launched the saw, now it’s time to run a new tool. It is assumed that you have already studied the instructions and know what you can’t do. The run-in itself includes 2 main stages, each stage acts on different parts and prepares them for work. Consider these steps in more detail.
Running in the saw engine
To start, we warm up the engine a bit, it needs to work 3-5 minutes idling. Next, we start working directly with wood. We take small bars or logs with a diameter of 5 to 10 cm. You need to cut them at medium speeds, use the cyclic method of work. It will consist of the following steps:
- 1 minute on light loads;
- 15. 20 minutes without load.
Please note that the size of the wood does not increase the load. Only the pressure that the operator exerts on the power tool affects.
For a full break-in of the engine, it will be necessary to develop 2 to 3 tanks. Only then does the engine begin to run at maximum. Feature of Foresta chainsaws. Accelerated break-in, they begin to issue maximum revolutions before the rest of the saws. During the period of the first tanks, the following cannot be done:
- Overheat engine;
- For a long time to keep the saw idling;
- Run the saw at too high speeds;
- Giving the saw the maximum possible load.
Running in a saw set
The tire and chain of a chainsaw require a break-in no less than the engine. Particular attention requires:
- Chain lubrication;
- Cutting blade tension.
The next step. Pull the chain. The chain must be tensioned so that it can be easily turned by hand. If so, then we run it idle for about 3-5 minutes. When this time passes, turn off the engine and check the tension. If necessary. Pull up the canvas. To check, small branches are cut without loading the saw bar. We muffle the chainsaw and tighten the chain.
After processing, you need to perform the final adjustment and debug the carburetor. If the carburetor channels are not galvanized. He needs more attention. The setting of this part itself is important, so Foresta saws come with carburetors ready for use. This deep tuning allows you to use the tool to the maximum, while adhering to security measures.
Rules for continuous use
There are a few rules that can help you extend the life of your saw after running.
- Be sure to watch the candle. It needs to be changed every 100 hours.
- Before leaving the saw for a long period, drain the fuel from it.
- After each use, clean the air filter.
Particularly noteworthy is the storage of chainsaws in the winter. There are two options for “conservation”: complete and incomplete disassembly. Often in winter you can find work for a saw, so it is inconvenient to completely disassemble it. If you will use a power tool in the winter, you need to protect the chainsaw from the effects of natural phenomena. Be sure to check the temperature of the gasoline before starting work, whether it is sufficient to ignite. Also check the viscosity of the oil. To start working in low temperature conditions, be sure to close the shutter.
- For successful subsequent work with the device, it is simply necessary to prepare the chainsaw for work. Without proper attention to this issue, the device will begin to break down quickly and will not last you long.
- The most important. First start, since it is already possible to damage the saw. The headset requires the same attention as the engine, and a common mistake. Ignore her.
- Despite the widespread belief that the life span of a saw depends only on its manufacturer and quality. This is not entirely true. In addition to a good manufacturer, you need to properly prepare it.