How To Run In A New Stihl 180 Chainsaw
Chainsaw Stihl МС 180. Specifications
In terms of operational performance, the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is in many ways superior to its counterparts in its price category. This tool, as well as its modification, the Stihl 180 C chainsaw, has the following technical characteristics:
- Power. 2 HP from.;
- The working volume of the cylinder is 31.8 cm3;
- Fuel consumption. 0.7 l / h;
- Fuel tank capacity. 250 ml;
- Tank volume for oil supply. 145 ml;
- Idling speed. 2800 rpm;
- Launch. Manual;
- Chain lubrication. Automatic;
- The length of the tires used is 30–35 cm;
- Chain pitch. 3 / 8”v
- Working weight. 4.2 kg.
The Stihl MC 180 chainsaw does not require special maintenance. The only thing that the owner will need is to use high-quality fuel and top up oil on time. The diameter of the file for sharpening the chain of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw should be 4.5-5 mm.
How to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw correctly?
The correct procedure for starting the chainsaw is as follows:
- Before starting the saw, the chain brake must be activated. To do this, the brake lever must be tilted forward;
- Next, you need to remove the protective cover;
- Next, you need to press the decompression valve. This will greatly facilitate starting the engine;
- Then press the fuel pump several times. This will reduce fuel consumption directly when starting the saw engine;
- Then move the combination throttle lever down to the cold start position. To do this, you first need to activate the gas lever;
- Pull the cable slowly until you feel resistance. After that, quickly pull the cable towards you until you hear that the engine starts and stalls;
- Then move the combination lever up one position;
- Pull the cable again until the engine starts;
- As soon as the engine starts, pull the gas trigger, and after moving the combined lever to the up position until it stops, release it;
- Release the chain brake lever by pulling it towards you until it clicks;
Features of the operation of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw
This model of the chainsaw, as well as its modification. The Stihl MS 180 C BE chainsaws, is not difficult to use. Below we will study the basic rules of operation that will save the main parts and mechanisms of the chainsaw from premature wear.
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180 stalls at idle
The most common reason for this is incorrect adjustment of the saw carburetor. If the saw does not idle, the tool assembly will need to be re-adjusted. To do this, take an adjusting key from the saw kit and insert it into the screw “” on the tool handle. While doing this, slowly turn the screw clockwise until the saw starts working normally.
How to break in a new Stihl 180 chainsaw?
Starting using the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, most tool owners do not know how to properly run in a purchased saw. To do this, you must act in this order:
- Check for the presence of oil for the chain. For this you need to put the saw on an old newspaper and start the tool. If there is oil, traces of it will appear on the paper;
- Then turn off the inertial brake;
- After that, start the chainsaw and let it idle for 20 minutes. In this case, every minute you need to do short pressing on the gas trigger;
- After 20 minutes, start sawing thin branches, gradually increasing the density and diameter of the wood.
Chainsaw does not start well. Looking for reasons
If your saw won’t cold start, the first thing to do is to inspect the tool pistons. The piston group of the Stihl MS 180 saw is highly reliable, however, due to a lack of engine oil or mechanical shock, an immediate piston replacement may be required. Before changing the piston, we advise you to study the specified algorithm:
- Remove the saw top cover and unscrew the candle;
- Remove the stoppers from the shock absorbers, the drive sprocket and the starter;
- Next, the flywheel, worm drive and victorious chain are removed;
- Then remove the ignition coil and muffler;
- At the end, the piston group of the chainsaw is dismantled.
Chainsaw Stihl-180: instruction and operation manual and technical characteristics Stihl MS-180, device and diagram
The Stihl chainsaw is a unique device designed to facilitate the complex and time-consuming process of sawing trees and their further processing. It is difficult to imagine today many necessary professions without this miracle of technology.
Take, for example, builders (wooden housing construction), lumberjacks, public utilities workers and just people who often resort to her services in the course of running their own household. All of them approved this device and today they cannot imagine life without this irreplaceable assistant.
The choice of a chainsaw should be carried out depending on what tasks it will perform. The main classification of chainsaws is divided into models of the following types:
The chainsaw can be used not only for cutting trees, but also small-diameter logs. As a rule, its work should not exceed 40 minutes. In a day. These simplified models are small in power and are used for periodic work applications. Professional chainsaws are much more advanced devices, designed to work 12-16 hours a day. Check out our ranking of the best chainsaws.
The stihl 660 chainsaw can cut huge trees and is therefore suitable for professional loggers or construction workers. Semi-professional chainsaws are almost complete analogues of professional ones, only with limited operating time. Their possibilities are also wide! Read more about how to cut trees with a chainsaw here.
Saw operation safety
The safety precautions are pretty simple.
Every worker using a Stihl chainsaw, must be aware of:
- Device and principle of its action;
- Possible types of problems, as well as options for their quick fix;
- Possibility of recoil effect and its consequences;
- Fuel filling rules;
- Chain lubrication rules;
- Mechanism health check rules.
Personnel working with the device, must be dressed in special clothing:
- Special protective trousers;
- Helmet with special earpieces;
- Safety glasses for the eyes;
- Special boots, preferably with non-slip soles.
- You must have a first aid kit with you.
Operational and technical characteristics
As for the technical and operational characteristics of this chainsaw, they largely surpass all modern market counterparts. For information on how to properly run a chainsaw, see here.
The device of the Stihl 180 chainsaw is made in such a way as to achieve maximum indicative results, while at the same time it does not cause any discomfort when working. The device is completely vibration-free and does not tire the operator’s hands.
The handle that encircles this tool tightly “sits” on 3 shock-absorbing blocks made of rubber, which is also very convenient for using a chainsaw.
The Stihl ms 180 chainsaw has the following specific characteristics:
- The maximum working volume is 31.8 cm³;
- Nominal weight is only 3900gr.;
- The power level is 1.5 kW / 2.0 HP;
- The bus is 0.35 m long;
- Characteristic chain of the Oilomatic type with a pitch of 3/8 “P (PMС3);
- Tank with a volume of 250 cm³;
- Idling speed is 2800 rpm;
- Specific weight. 2600 g / kW;
- The permissible vibration level is 6.6 to the left and 7.8 m / s2 to the right;
- The sound pressure is 97.0 dB;
- Sound power. 106.0 dB.
Easy to operate, does not require additional maintenance, in addition to timely lubrication (if you do not follow the lubrication in time, it is quite possible to “kill” both the tire and the chain itself).
It should be noted that the two-stroke engine of this unit is designed in such a way that it runs on a gasoline-oil mixture. Only use high-quality oil in STIHL chainsaw gasoline. You can read about which Stihl chainsaw oil to use here.
The quality of these operational elements will largely determine the impact for the functioning and life of the entire system.
Chainsaw Stihl 180 instructions provide for strict adherence to all the rules for its operation. This is important for warranty repairs as well as extending the service life of the chainsaw. It is very important to use good chain oil.
Product manufacturer STIHL
The history of the STIHL brand dates back to 1926, when Andreas Stihl founded A. Stihl Ingenieursbüro “. Initially, the company specialized in the creation of working boilers and the first “washing machines”, and later the first model of a chainsaw was created with the money earned. This unit, despite its huge weight (48 kg), quickly conquered the market and began to be very successfully sold to the countries of near and far abroad.
The 90s became the beginning of a family business for the company. Almost all members of the Stihl family began to take part in the company’s life.
In 1995, AG Co Holding was established, whose main base was in Waiblingen and Diesburg.
Since 2002, a complete stranger has become the chairman of the board of directors of STIHL AG. At that time, boss Hans Peter Stihl headed the supervisory board of the company and took over the chairmanship of the commission of STIHL Holding AG Co.
After another 2 years, the company’s modern development center was opened, and already in 2006 a new assembly plant was launched in China.
Today the company is successfully developing, introducing new ideas and even more practical approaches to work. STIHL inventions top chainsaw reliability rating.
Pros and cons of the Stihl chainsaw
Among the advantages of the Stihl chainsaw are:
- A special anti-vibration system of the AC class;
- Chain brake of inertial type QuickStop required for the safety of the device;
- The air filter is freely available;
- The regulating compensator guarantees stable and powerful operation of the system;
- Single-lever type of chainsaw control;
- Use of Ematic type grease, which saves on fuel consumption;
- The optimal cost of a chainsaw.
As for the last point, the question of how much a Stihl 180 chainsaw costs can be brought into both the advantages and disadvantages of products. The fact is that the price is not high for different categories of the population. Also, for the purposes of use, this option may not seem entirely cheap.
Despite the ease of handling, relatively low fuel consumption and ease of maintenance, the saw is still not widely available to everyone (the price on average fluctuates around 8,000 rubles).
How to distinguish from a fake
Stihl 660 chainsaw price china price is far from an indicator of whether the device is original, or in front of you a fake.
Here are the main criteria that you must know:
- Original STIHL products are distinguished by a personal guarantee and an individual serial number;
- The number directly under the muffler must match the main marking of the saw;
- The muffler must also bear a serial number and indicate the country of manufacture;
- Original Stihl products are equipped with Stihl tires, as well as special equipment necessary for full operation.
How to extend the life of a new headset?
Experienced sawers practice daily holding of a new saw headset in a container with hot chain oil at a temperature of no more than 60 ° C.
This procedure, known as the stabilization of the internal structure of the metal, has a positive effect on its resistance to external stress and temperature influences. Identical technology is recommended for cutting saw sets used as replacement equipment.
During the running-in process, it is necessary to periodically check the chain tension, the presence of chain oil in the reservoir and its supply to the cutting area. It is better to postpone the check of the emergency stop mechanism until the development of certain working skills.
Recommendations for the initial run-in phase
- The practice of running in a new chainsaw without a saw headset is fundamentally wrong, since all its moving elements need to be run in.
- The typical run-in time is several hours. In any case, the design of chainsaws of any quality and price level does not provide for continuous operation of the engine at idle.
- In this mode, the loaded parts of the piston group and the connecting rod-crank mechanism experience a significant lack of lubrication, which inevitably leads to overheating and forced wear of the working surfaces.
- The total running-in time at idle with periodic blow-by of 25-30 seconds should not exceed 15-20 minutes.
The operation of the engine being run in without load at high speeds is strictly excluded. over, idling running in the tool is ineffective; the best result can be obtained when exposed to moderate loads. The new chainsaw can be used for sawing medium-density wood with small diameters up to 100 mm.
A full running-in of a new chainsaw provides for the correct setting of the fuel system. The standard factory adjustment of the carburetor is based on averaged data, therefore, depending on external factors, it needs to be adjusted.
The saw with the carburetor adjusted should pick up speed quickly, equally stable at operating mode and idle speed. The brown color of the spark plug insulator also indicates the proper quality of the air / fuel mixture.
Preparing for the first launch
Before starting the chainsaw, make sure that the emergency stop mechanism of the headset is turned off. The engine is started in the sequence recommended by the instructions.
After a short warm-up, the power unit is recommended to be brought to medium speed to check the lubrication system. To do this, just hold the headset over a piece of paper. The presence of an oil strip indicates that the system is working and that the saw chain is fully lubricated.
Sprocket bearings on guide rails 16 inches or more are individually lubricated after 8-10 hours of operation.
How to properly run a chainsaw
The resource of new chainsaw equipment largely depends on the quality of its preparation for subsequent operation. How to properly run in a European or Chinese chainsaw with maximum efficiency?
The low-cost in time and material investment process of running in a new tool has a positive effect on its performance and duration of use.
Moderate loads during the first stage of running-in contribute to a full-fledged lapping of internal parts, complete and inexpensive development of the assigned overhaul and operational life.
Factory run-in benefits
It should be noted that new saws from many leading manufacturers do not need running-in. The running-in of the piston group and working equipment using a special technology is carried out directly in the process of control tests.
The chrome plating of the inner diameter of the cylinder and the application of wear-resistant coatings on the working surfaces of loaded parts helps to reduce the time of this stage. However, the sparing recommendations for the first hours of tool operation remain valid.
Do I need to run in a chainsaw?
A new or overhauled chainsaw is not ready for full load. It is necessary to operate it for some time in a softer mode, so that all moving parts properly rub against each other. This applies not only to the piston group of the engine, but also to the elements of the cutterhead and frame. Gentle mode allows you to prepare mechanisms for full load, reduce or completely eliminate the risk of pistons jamming in the cylinder, facilitate chain movement without unnecessary friction and heating.
The main problem with non-rolled chainsaws is the lack of uniform transfer of heat energy to the cylinder walls. It remains on the piston, which expands and poses a risk of wedging, which means engine failure and the need for overhaul. When all the smallest irregularities and roughness are smoothed out, good contact of the piston with the cylinder appears, which increases compression and heat transfer. This evens out the operating mode and removes unnecessary frictional loads. In addition, the noise level is reduced, which is also important for users performing large volumes of work.
Fuel-oil mixture production
The type of fuel most suitable for a given brand of tool is always indicated in the instructions. For running-in, you need a mixture of gasoline and oil, prepared in a proportion determined by the manufacturer. As a rule, gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 90 is used. For Russian fuels, A92 or AI92 brands are relevant. Higher values should not be chosen, as they are often faked.
The optimal choice of oil is synthetics, it completely burns out. Usually the oil is 2% (1:50), but for some models of Chinese chainsaws this value changes (1:25), and for Partner tools. 1:40. It is necessary to use the ready-made mixture as early as possible, ideally on the same day, but not later than several weeks. During the running-in process, you will need to develop 5-6 full tanks of the mixture.
Features of running-in tools from different manufacturers
Chainsaws from different manufacturers differ from each other in design, engine power and other parameters. Accordingly, the process of running in them also takes place taking into account the specific features of the tool. It should be noted that top manufacturers supply the market with fully prepared tools that do not need running-in. Information about operating modes, the need for running-in and other important points can be found in the instructions for this chainsaw.
Basically, running-in is required for domestic and Chinese chainsaws. It is produced in accordance with the stated rules and specific methods set out in the instructions.
Consider the nuances of performing the procedure for two popular models of chainsaws:
- STIHL MS-180 (Stihl). German chainsaws, known all over the world. The carburetor for these tools is shipped with a tool run-in setting. The fuel-oil mixture is made up in a ratio of 1:50; for a complete break-in, at least 5 full tanks will be required. It is strictly forbidden to start and leave the saw to work on canvas! It has air cooling, which practically does not function in this mode.
For normal cooling, a flywheel operation is necessary, and this is possible only under a load, even a small one. After the end of the running-in, you should contact the service center to reconfigure the carburetor to the operating mode.
- CHAMPION (Champion). Chinese tools are difficult to repair and should be handled with great care. Break-in of Champion chainsaws is carried out on a fuel-oil mixture with a ratio of 1:50. It is necessary to use oil of the same brand name. CHAMPION JASO FD, since the Chinese tool is sensitive to the quality of fuels and lubricants. The manufacturer requires a run-in until 6-8 full fuel tanks are used up. No special requirements, except for normal conditions. Soft operation without prolonged loads at full engine speed.
Figure 4. Running in the “Champion” chainsaw
How to properly run a chainsaw. Detailed instructions and recommendations.
Any gas powered tool needs competent operation to ensure maximum performance in combination with optimal loads on the engine and other tool components. The chainsaw, as a cutting tool operating in difficult and hazardous conditions, needs to be met to the greatest extent possible. One of the most important conditions for correct work is to create optimal working conditions in the first days of tool operation.
Running a chainsaw is an important and crucial stage of operation, which requires an understanding of the meaning and purpose of all procedures performed. The question is important and requires detailed coverage.
- Do I need to run in a chainsaw?
- Types of running-in
- Preparing a new product
- Fuel-oil mixture production
- Checking the lubrication
- Carburetor adjustment
- How to properly test new equipment. Step by step instructions
- Features of running-in tools from different manufacturers
- What are the threats and ways to overcome them
Preparing a new product
The saw frame and chain must be fitted to the tool. There are often tips on the net to make the first starts without load, but they are extremely harmful and will lead to the opposite result. Lack of load has a detrimental effect on the condition of the new engine:
- Fuel combustion mode changes;
- There is no possibility of uniform lubrication of all surfaces;
- The quality of heat dissipation decreases.
All these factors contribute to the formation of carbon deposits, the formation of scoring, which can lead to seizure of the piston. An overhaul of a new chainsaw will be required, which could have been avoided by properly running in.
Figure 1. Running in a chainsaw
Before starting the direct work, some preparation will be required. It is no less important for obtaining a successful result, therefore, we will consider the process in stages:
Types of running-in
There are two types of running in:
- Factory. Produced at the tool manufacturer. Many modern models of chainsaws undergo full factory training and do not need additional running-in. You can work with them at full capacity right from the moment of purchase;
- Household. Run-in by the owner of the saw. Produced in the first days after purchase or after a major overhaul.
Factory run-in is carried out by specialists in conditions close to ideal. This guarantees a positive result and high running quality. At the same time, the household running-in of the chainsaw will in any case be carried out after the engine overhaul. Therefore, it is necessary for every owner of the instrument to be able to produce it correctly.