How To Screw The Line Onto The Trimmer Spool
How to wind the line onto the Patriot trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. While changing your line is easy, you need to learn how to do it right. Changing the fishing line with proper skill will take no more than five minutes. You just need to constantly practice it. This article will look at changing line using Patriot trimmers as an example.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads can be different depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower head up and, grasping the casing, remove the special protective cover that is on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is bolted to the trimmer. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure that you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). Make sure that the line sits evenly in the reel.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is longer than the other by 0.1-0.15 m.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
- Find the notch inside the coil baffle. Gently thread the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. There should be an arrow on it.
- If the arrow-pointer could not be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. Inspect the coil head. It has a direction indicator. However, this is the direction of movement of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. Follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user winds up almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel in the head of the reel, before passing the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until a characteristic click is heard).
- It remains to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
Although winding the line is a very simple task, many beginners can wind the line incorrectly. Below are the most common mistakes.
- Many people, when measuring a thread, think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less and therefore lack line. Do not be afraid to measure out a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a rush, some people do not follow the threading grooves inside the spool and wind the thread randomly. This causes the line to come out of the reel and may even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate line. This error is the most common. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the line, but also its type. You should not use the first line that comes across for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, you do not need to use a thread on young grass if you need to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until it is fully wound and collected. Although this is obvious, some people do this in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon come out of working condition.
It is quite common for beginners to make mistakes, so you must follow the tips in this article.
See below for how to replace the line on the Patriot trimmer.
Which line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for refueling in the trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Selection by type. Round line is the most common. It will fit any coil with very few exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, juicy grass. But with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, this species may no longer cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow bushes with this thread.
In addition to the usual type, there are others, sharp-edged. Usually they are made with an asterisk or a square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference of these threads.
It is due to this feature that threads of these types are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-cut threads are not without drawbacks, the main of which can be called rapid wear and strength noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of woods, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside which stretched metal wire. This type of thread is often used in gasoline-powered tools with an engine over 1.5 horsepower.
Metal core threads are with a round section, and with sharp edges. Regardless of the type of section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming difficult-to-cut plants. Threads of this type can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
Filament with wire inside compares favorably with other types of consumables in its incredible durability. Unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of yarns with a core is significantly higher than the cost of other types of yarns.
How to wind line on a trimmer spool: winding methods and
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. A trimmer will help to defeat them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true of those tools in which the cutting element is not a knife, but a fishing line.
- Features of the use of trimmers
- Which line to choose
- Selection by thickness
Features of the use of trimmers
A trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, flower beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device like a trimmer exists in several variations:
As the names suggest, trimmer types differ markedly from one another. But regardless of the type of this instrument, it the cutting element can be a line. Of course, the line tucked into the trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use device and scale of work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the trimmer, the more active the line is used in it. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to thread the line into the trimmer spool?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But winding a fishing line on a reel plays an important role in trimmer operation. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
Selection by thickness
In addition, you should pay special attention to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it is capable of overpowering.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one “but”. It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Necessarily take a look at the user manual, which came with the tool and find information on the requirements for the cutting element.
Using the wrong thread may damage the tool. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the device motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why it is necessary to approach the choice of consumables no less responsibly than to refuel it in the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchased, you can start considering ways to wind it on a reel.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
At first glance, threading a line into the reel of a tool is not easy. But it is enough to carefully study this process. And in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
It is worth reading this guide to find out how to tuck the line into the trimmer. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the features of the coils of different types of trimmers, therefore applicable to any instrument.
So, the procedure is as follows.
- The line spool is the bottom end of the trimmer. First of all, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft threads through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage, you have to remove the bobbin from the head, on which the fishing line is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find a retainer on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It must be put aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the step of winding the line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new bobbin.
- From a previously prepared skein of new fishing line, it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. Seven) meters. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, the key stage actually begins, which this article is devoted to.
The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two sections. Upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing edge does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on the sides on both sides. The method of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the reel, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to hold the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half winds up in the upper part of the spool, and the lower half in the lower part. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the top edge of the bobbin to secure the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these recesses so that they are fixed against each other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable into the tool. The ends attached to the bobbin must be threaded into the corresponding holes in the trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the free ends of the thread be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumable one by one so that they are removed from the grooves in the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little. They should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the very last action. The head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line is tucked into a reel. The trimmer is ready for further work.
How to reel fishing line
Fishing is a really exciting and exciting business. Beginner spinningists, of course, want to quickly join it and finally get a sensible result. The reservoir where you are going to fish has been selected, all the necessary accessories have been bought. There are rods, reels with lures and lines. Too. However. Even a minor, but still tangible nuisance can wait right on the shore, which sometimes completely disrupts the whole fishing.
Her name. Winding a line on a reel. Each coil seems to be equipped with an instruction with a basic diagram. But the fact is that with such an attitude, it will not be possible to catch much for sure. If the loop is wound incorrectly, the loop may be thrown off, and instead of removing the fish from the hook, then you will have to bother with untangling a lump from the fishing line with your own hands.
They start using spinning most often with tackles that are shorter (both reels and rods). The bobbin caliber in them is two to three thousand (that is, a hundred-meter line is not more than a third of a millimeter thick in this case, the limit). The winding structures can also be very different: this is a chaotic winding in a chaotic arrangement of Chinese samples (more or less suitable for monofilament, but completely inappropriate with braided line), and such more professional formats as a straight cylinder, straight and inverted cone. And from the very beginning it is better to get used to those types of styling that are more serious, because this is not a whim, but a higher efficiency. Having saved a few hundred rubles in passing, you will then begin to curse everything in the world, when, instead of casting and biting (well, or just casting and waiting), fishing turns into a continuous struggle with “beards” and other overlaps of the line. Such fishing has never brought joy to anyone.
How to quickly wind a line on a spinning reel
The main, fundamental rule is that the equipped line must be flat, like a ruler. For cylindrical winding, a straight line is optimal, and if a cone is chosen, then an inclined one. But in any case, remember firmly, only the line without bends.
How can this leveling be ensured in practice? First of all, we attach the reel to a stationary rod-shaped object on which it should scroll easily and freely. Pencils and knitting needles, pens and screwdrivers, small metal tubes without sharp edges, and even a smooth and well-polished stick can act as a rod. As a last resort, find someone who agrees to hold.
Pull the line through every single rod ring. Tie a knot at the extended end. Now you can start threading the line to the surface of the reel. First, we fasten it on top of the bobbin in a circle, having previously lifted up the arc of the line stacker, and when another knot of the “Arbor” type is tied and tightened, the arc can be lowered.
Braided line loves to slip very much. This can be avoided by prying a piece of rubber under the attachment point (for example, cut from an unusable fingertip or worn-out glove), in extreme cases. Support it with adhesive plaster, if there is no rubber.
And now comes the turn of the line winding. Turn the handle on the spool neatly and evenly. Make sure the line is tight all the time. It is imperative to support it, but only in tight gloves.
When winding up, avoid, as much as possible, ending it at the level of the bobbin edges. If you do not follow this rule, then self-resetting of loops or their eerie entanglement becomes very likely. To avoid such an outcome, pay attention that at least a millimeter or two of the fishing line remain unwound to the side. On the other hand, exceeding the gap of five millimeters can make long-range casting impossible. Backing is a prophylaxis (in fact. Winding the main line of the auxiliary line from below, no thicker than three tenths of a millimeter, otherwise an even laying will become unattainable). Please note that almost all threads work well in backing, except for long-drying cotton and nylon.
See useful: how to wind the line to the reel correctly
Determining how much fishing line to throw on backing is possible only by experiments, there are no ready-made formulas and theoretical provisions on this score. One more bobbin is required. We wind the main forest on it, then backing (do not forget about the gap from the side). Next, we attach the main mount, to which we are already introducing the lines in the reverse order. Visit our website and read more useful tips for fishermen.
How to wind line around the trimmer head or lawn mowers
Shown in detail how wind the line on a reel trimmer or lawn mowers. Refueling with mowing line.
Removing the coil from the trimmer
On small, bottom motor electric trimmers (when operating near the ground), the reel usually has two buttons on the sides. Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When disassembling, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (there is still no way to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to wrap the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox at its end (on such trimmers, in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver crawls even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now we turn the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-hand) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with latches or twisted with a lamb. If the coil is on latches, then press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection between the two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you also need to make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
Method 2. How to properly put the line on the reel of lawn mowers with a photo description and
The second method differs from the first in that it is not a single piece of equipment that is charged into the coil, but segments from two parts. Manufacturers use this method, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two lengths of line into the mowing line is the same with the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
- There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not there, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
- The fishing line should be hooked onto the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is wound until a 10-15 cm segment remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the guide
- Manipulations with the second end of the fishing line are carried out in the same way.
- The protrusions are inserted into the holes of the head, and then, removing the equipment from the temporary fasteners in the reel, a cover with latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in the lawnmower will help not only correctly, but also quickly make the replacement procedure. Assembling the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Instructions are presented below.
Winding the line to the trimmer
Measured and accurate dismantling of the spool from the spit coil makes it possible to go directly to winding the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today there are several types of reels, depending on the number of line antennae and the methods of threading it:
- Trimmer head with one working mustache;
- A bobbin with two line antennae;
- Auto winding reel.
A Few Tips for Proper Trimming
- If the spool allows you to wind fifteen meters of thread, then you should not wind so much, ten is enough, that is, if you put it in two layers, you get five meters. With a different line capacity, you should use the same rule.
- In the case when an ordinary round thread is used, it is better that it be 3.3 mm in diameter. If this is a curly fishing line, then its thickness should be less, for example, 3 mm.
- It is better to wind both segments of the fishing line on the spool at once, and it is necessary to start from its bend. It is important not to overlap in the direction of the arrow. It is also important to be able to pull the thread perfectly. If the thread is tied, then it can overlap. If not reached, it can twist. In order not to cut your hands on the curly thread yourself, you should wind it with gloves.
- No need to leave long line ends. This can cause it to curl.
How does a line head work on a lawn mower why you need to know how it works
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without a spring, i.E. On the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- There is a coil inside the head, which is fitted on slots that prevent its free movement
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is 1 to 4 meters
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the fishing line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure, and continue the work on cutting the grass
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, then the line simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and arrangement of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer spool?
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for quite some time, it is still a novelty for some owners of private houses. That is why there are often questions about how to properly wind the line on an electric or gasoline trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly in order to achieve the desired result. over, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers provide an answer to this sore question. Explore the article and find out how the line winds around the trimmer reel.
The procedure for winding the line on the trimmer spool
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working attachments. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of the line. This point should be taken into account when purchasing consumables.
So how do you load the line into the trimmer reel? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press with your fingers on the two latches located on different sides of the entrance, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry off the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: reels with automatic line feed have a spring that can forcefully throw the cover along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove old line scraps.
- Now you need to find the middle of the line. To do this, unwind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut it off and fold it in half.
- Hook the middle of the line into the existing recess or insert into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by the arrow, which is usually marked on the trimmer reel body (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided spool: in this case, the line should be wound in different directions: one end in one direction, the other in the other, while the loop of the fishing line must be wound into the dividing slot in the middle.
- Leave loose ends of the line about 20cm each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step is to assemble the drum. Reinstall the washers and spring. On the top ring of the reel there are two notches where you need to tuck the antennae of the fishing line. Thread them through the holes and place the spool in the drum, trying to tighten the line without displacing the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a characteristic click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess line will be cut off by the trimming blade.
As you can see, winding the line on the trimmer reel is not difficult: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will come in handy when choosing a fishing line, winding it and subsequent work:
- Fishing line comes in different thicknesses and with different sections. The best option for winding is the “native” line for this model;
- Never use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. This replacement may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawnmower himself, but also those around him;
- The line is cut when the trimmer is in contact with hard objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop each time, turn off the device and rewind the line on the reel;
- Use regular line for cutting lawn grass and braid line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not constantly cut.