How to Spin a Fishing Line On a Carver Trimmer Coil
Home »lawn mowers trimmers how to choose. We understand the features of the tool
Lawn mowers trimmers how to choose. We understand the features of the tool
With the advent of the spring-summer season, all owners of suburban areas always face the same problem. Caring for lawns and lawns and combating fast-growing weeds and breaking through wild shrubbery. An ordinary scythe does not always become a good helper: firstly, to use it, you need some experience, and secondly, in close conditions of the site it is almost impossible to operate such an instrument between trees, bushes, benches, columns, borders, etc.
Lawn mowers trimmers how to choose
In order not to resort to manual, very time-consuming operations, it makes sense to purchase a trimmer, or, in other words, a motorized scythe, with an electric or gasoline drive. In the case when the lawn or lawn is located near the house, are small in size, and they are not supposed to work with more load, an electric device may well be enough. But lawnmowers have much greater capabilities trimmers how to choose which. Will be described in this publication.
Advantages of gasoline braids, their basic device
First of all, we remove the slight contradiction. In some publications on the Internet, a very controversial classification is given, according to which only power tools are referred to trimmers, completely separating this category from a lawn mowing with a gasoline engine. In others, all types of manual mechanized braids, both electric and with internal combustion engines (pos. A) are ranked as trimmers, thereby highlighting their difference from wheeled lawn mowers (pos. B), and even more so. Self-propelled raiders (pos. C).
The main types of mechanized mowers: A. Manual (braids); B. Wheeled; B. Self-propelled (raiders).
It’s hard to say how impeccably correct it really is. However, the second type of classification still seems more visual and justified. Without claiming to be absolutely true, we still adhere to the definition that a trimmer is a manual tool for mowing grass with an electric or gasoline power drive.
Despite the very wide variety of models of gas trimmers, most of them are made according to a single scheme. The internal combustion engine is used as a power drive, from which the torque is transmitted to the working cutting head. The illustration shows the main visible elements and components of a standard lawnmower trimmer:
Most gas trimmers are similar in design.
1. Gasoline engine, located at the top.
3. Manual starter for starting the engine.
4. A rod connecting the engine with the working part of the trimmer. A flexible or rigid shaft transmitting rotation is always located inside the rod. The bar may be solid or collapsible, consisting of two or more sections.
5. A handle, which can be of various types, which, by the way, predetermines the placement of the main governing bodies (pos. 6).
7. Cable connecting the control device to the engine.
8. Angular gear, transmitting the rotation of the shaft to the working spindle.
9. Cutting tool. A special knife or reel (bobbin) with a cutting cord (fishing line).
10. A protective shield that protects the operator’s legs from injury during operation
The controls of the lawn mower may vary slightly in their layout, but usually include several keys and switches with the same functionality:
Typical “set” of controls for a gas trimmer
1. Button (toggle switch, switch) of the ignition circuit. Allows you to instantly turn off the engine if necessary.
2. The main key that controls the carburetor throttle (gas button).
3. Safety key that prevents accidental pressing of the “gas”. Until it is recessed, it is impossible to use the main key.
4. A stop of a control key in the pressed state. Facilitates management with large volumes of work.
The choke position switch is used for easier starting and quick warming up of the lawn mowers.
As a rule, another control element is located on the engine itself. This is the air damper position switch. It is used to facilitate starting and quick warming up of the engine in conditions of low air temperature.
Some details about the main elements and components of the lawn mower will be described below, when considering the options for choosing a tool. In the meantime, a few words about what advantages gasoline trimmers have:
- Such a tool is completely not tied to an energy source. For working on the ground it is enough to have the necessary fuel supply with you. In addition, even when working directly at home, there is a clear advantage. There is no power cable constantly interfering underfoot.
- Unlike an electric trimmer, gasoline can be used both after the rain and in the early morning, until plentiful dew has come down. The upper position of the engine completely eliminates any dependence of the safety of using the tool on the moisture level of the mowed grass.
Gasoline trimmer is able to cope with dense hard grass thickets.
- Gasoline trimmers are always more powerful, have a higher motor resource, are capable of long-term work without pauses, and cope with hard herbs and shrubs. The probability of overheating of the drive is many times less than that of the trimmer.
There are certain disadvantages to gasoline trimmers:
- Their device is more complex than that of electrical counterparts. Their operation and especially regular maintenance require certain knowledge and skills.
- Gasoline mowers are always significantly more massive, that is, working with them will require more significant physical effort.
- Equipment of this class is very picky about the purity of the fuel and the correct composition of the fuel mixture. With low-quality fuel, tool malfunctions or malfunctions are possible.
- An internal combustion engine is always the presence of exhaust and a significant noise level.
Nevertheless, if you plan to process large areas, or work in areas where there is no way to connect to the power supply, nothing better than a gas trimmer. The advantages of such a tool significantly outweigh its disadvantages.
Gas trimmer selection options
Why do you need a lawn mower?
Before proceeding with the selection of the optimal model of gasoline trimmer, a very clear outline of the range of tasks that will be assigned to this tool. Based on this, most of the evaluation criteria for selection will be predetermined.
All gasoline braids are conventionally divided into three main groups.
- Professional or landscape gardening. This is, as a rule, a tool for workers in public utilities, landscaping and ennobling enterprises, and forestry enterprises. Such lawn mowers have an increased resource, the ability to long hours of work in daily mode. They are equipped with powerful engines and reinforced transmission mechanisms. As a rule, they are equipped with knives that are able to cope with shrubbery, and sometimes even with young trees.
A team of urban improvement service workers “armed” with professional-class lawn mowers
Naturally, such tools are quite massive, have roomy fuel tanks. To facilitate working with them, special belt systems are provided to remove the load from the operator’s hands as much as possible. In addition, special knapsack models have been developed, that is, a power drive worn by a worker in the form of a satchel is connected to the rod by a flexible transmission shaft in the casing. This arrangement to a lesser extent causes operator fatigue during prolonged use.
Knapsack lawn mowing
The use of a trimmer of this class in a personal farm seems redundant, the acquisition is unlikely to become profitable.
- Semi-professional lawn mowers are often called “farm”, which quite accurately determines their purpose. These are reliable helpers in the household, designed for regular, quite frequent use with considerable loads.
Semi-professional, “farmer” class lawn mowers. Reliable assistant to a resident of the countryside
The power of their drive, the features of torque transmission, the equipment with cutting nozzles make it possible to cope with the vegetation almost no worse than the pro models. Farm lawn mowers are used to care for the garden, and to perform specialized agricultural work.
- Finally, light lawn mowers are ideal for periodic maintenance of the adjacent territory, garden and vegetable garden.
Light petrol trimmer. A great solution for regular maintenance of the adjacent area
They are distinguished by low weight, high maneuverability, ease of use. The power of their engine, it would seem, is low (usually within 1000 W), but it is quite enough for mowing grass and small shrubs. The main cutting tool is the cord (fishing line), although some models may also include knives.
The permissible duration of non-stop operation is small, and is usually limited by the capacity of a small fuel tank.
Type of gasoline engine
Two types of engines can be installed on gas braids. Two-stroke and four-stroke. It should be noted right away that this does not directly affect the power of the tool. There are also more professional lawn mowers with a two-stroke drive and small trimmers of the “amateur” class equipped with a four-stroke ICE.
- Two-stroke engines attract with their unpretentiousness in work. They start well even in cold weather, are uncomplicated in the device, and are easier to repair. Their are relatively low, which predetermines a very wide demand among consumers.
They have many shortcomings.
For a two-stroke engine, it is necessary to prepare the fuel mixture in the proportions specified by the manufacturer
- Four-stroke engines of these three mentioned disadvantages are deprived. They have separate containers for refueling with gasoline and motor oil. During operation, they emit much less noise, and the total amount of exhaust gases is significantly reduced.
Such engines usually have a higher motor resource, are capable of continuous operation without interruptions, and fuel consumption is much more economical in them.
The disadvantages of these internal combustion engines:
- You should pay attention to the design of the fuel tank. It is very convenient if it is made of translucent plastic, as this allows you to visually monitor the amount of fuel remaining in the tank.
It is convenient when the translucent walls of the fuel tank allow you to monitor the presence of fuel in it.
- Almost all lawn mowing engines (with rare exceptions) are equipped with a manual starter. With a drum, an exhaust cable and a handle. Some models, in addition, have a modern easy-start system. Flash STARTER. By pulling the cable, the operator does not transmit the rotation directly to the crank assembly of the engine, but cockes a special spring, which, in turn, will transmit a torque impulse to start. Thus, the operator does not have to overcome compression jerks, the start-up becomes simpler and smoother, requires much less physical effort.
Flash STARTER lightweight soft start system with spring
- To facilitate starting, the lawn mowing unit must have a “primer” button. A few clicks on it before starting will ensure the release of air residues from the gas pipe and the supply of the required amount of fuel to the carburetor.
The location of the “primer” button on different models of lawn mowers may have their own characteristics
Power of gasoline drive
Engine power can range from 700 ÷ 800 to 2500 or more watts. The choice depends on the expected load on the tool. In principle, it is power that predetermines the operational classification of gasoline trimmers.
This parameter is sometimes indicated in horsepower. The ratio is simple. 1 kW = 1.36 “horses”, or, conversely, 1 horsepower = 0.74 kW.
- For household class models, as a rule, up to 1 kW is enough. Lawn mowers with such a drive will calmly cope with ordinary grass, sedge, shallow young shrubbery.
- The power of the “farm” gasoline trimmers usually lies in the range from 1.5 to 2 kW, which already allows you to perform more serious work with the use of knife nozzles.
- Powerful professional tools, over 2 kW, have a full range of capabilities, and the use of special circular saws allows you to mow not only dense shrubs, but even cut young trees with a trunk thickness of up to 20.30 mm in diameter.
Naturally, the increase in power is accompanied by an increase in the weight of the lawn mowers and its cost. So it is necessary to very clearly represent the planned scope of the tool.
Rod Type and Design
A rod with a gear shaft located inside can differ in two ways.
- Direct bar is more typical for professional or “farm” models. The shaft transmitting rotation throughout its length is a rigid rod made of high-strength alloy. It relies on several roller bearings, and is capable of transmitting significant forces to the tool head without risk of damage.
Similar models, but with different rod configurations
A curved bar makes the lawn mowing more ergonomic. It is much more convenient to handle difficult areas with such a tool, for example, near trees, flower beds, benches, etc. In addition, the operator spends much less effort to maintain the cutting nozzle at a certain height. However, this is achieved by the fact that a flexible drive is installed in the rod, which is always more vulnerable to loads, and the probability of its failure in an emergency situation is much higher. This type of boom is more characteristic of lawn mowers of small and medium power, not intended for heavy loads.
- The rod can be integral. From the engine clutch assembly to the gearbox of the working part. Advantages. Again, the integrity of the transmission shaft. The disadvantage is that during transportation or storage a gas trimmer of this type requires a lot of space.
Lawnmowing collapsible coupling assembly
The collapsible bar makes the tool more convenient in terms of transportation and storage. In addition, some models of lawn mowers require the use of specialized working nozzles. They are adapted specifically for the connecting node collapsible rod
The disadvantage is understandable. Any unnecessary drive connection is always an additional vulnerability prone to wear. In addition, the operator is obligated to monitor the condition of this unit, to prevent accidental ingress of land or sand into it, to carry out maintenance, etc.
Handle Type, Belt System
To keep a rather bulky and heavy construction in a given position, to control the movement of the cutting head parallel to the ground level is not an easy task. Therefore, it is extremely important to select a model for the convenience of its operation, and this directly depends on the configuration of the handles and the belts used.
It is difficult to give recommendations in this matter. Each potential user, when choosing a lawn mowers, must independently try on a tool for himself, assess the degree of convenience of working with him. In this case, of course, the duration of the work should be taken into account.
- For models of a professional or “farmer” class, T-shaped handles resembling a bicycle steering wheel are more characteristic. Instrument controls are usually located on the right handle. This configuration of the handles in combination with a correctly selected belt is convenient for long-term work on a large area, allows you to make wide movements, as when working in a regular oblique.
Lawn mowers with various types of handles: T-, D- and J-shaped configuration
D-type or J-type handles are usually mounted on light lawn mowers. They are more convenient to control the tool when performing more “subtle” maneuvering operations. The control unit is located on the rod, shifted towards the engine.
All handles have a fastening system that allows you to move from along the bar, rotate around its axis, and in the case of a T- or J-shaped configuration, also change the magnitude of the departure to the left or right. All this makes it possible to precisely adjust the lawn mowing to the individual characteristics of the operator, to ensure its balance and achieve maximum ergonomics.
- The choice of belt should also be taken seriously.
If you intend to work for a long time, especially with a fairly heavy lawn mowing professional or semi-professional class, then it is better not to spare money for the purchase of a backpack-type belt system. Such equipment will evenly distribute the load throughout the shoulder girdle and back of the employee, significantly reducing the level of fatigue. In addition, a special pad on the thigh of the operator will reduce the degree of transmitted vibration and protect against possible burns from the engine warming up during operation.
The belt system, knapsack or conventional shoulder, is selected depending on the scale of the upcoming work
For short-term gardening using a light petrol trimmer, an ordinary shoulder strap with a soft wide overlay on top is enough. The cost of such a belt is certainly many times less.
Work tool of gasoline braid
Working cutting tools for gasoline braids can be included in its kit or purchased separately.
- Almost all models are always equipped with a reel (bobbin) for winding a certain amount of cutting line (cord). As a rule, such a device allows you to adjust the length of the protruding ends of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode. On the lower plane there is a wide stop button. With a light hit by it on the ground, the stopper releases the inner coil, and the fishing line comes out under the action of centrifugal force. On the protective cover there is a special knife that will cut the outgoing ends of the cord along the required length.
Spool with fishing line (cord). The arrow shows the stop button.
The parameters of the lawn mowers indicate the recommended diameter of the cutting cord. Usually it is from 2 to 3 mm. Quite enough for grass and thin shrubs.
- For mowing thick grass, sedge, reeds, shrubs, metal (sometimes plastic) knives (cutters) are used. They can vary in configuration, the number of cutting blades. Some milling cutters resemble round circular saws. Installing them on powerful lawn mowers allows you to fight with young growth of trees.
Different types of knives and cutters for lawn mowing
Some cutters are designed specifically for mowing grass for harvesting purposes. They, unlike the same cord, do not crush the grass, but ensure its even cut.
Amateur action in the use of knives and cutters is unacceptable. Manufacturers of lawn mowers indicate the possibility of using one or another type of cutting tool. Neglecting the recommendations can lead to the failure of the trimmer.
- There are also special nozzles on sale that significantly expand the functionality of lawn mowers. They can be included in the kit or purchased separately, as necessary, but in any case, the possibility of their use should be agreed upon by the manufacturer.
Special nozzles significantly expand the functionality of the gasoline spit, turning it into a universal garden tool
So, on a gasoline scythe with a folding bar, instead of the usual cutting unit, a brush cutter, a small chain saw for cutting tree branches, brushes for cleaning dirt from tracks or for snow removal, and even various cultivators for surface tillage can be installed.
Which brand to prefer
A variety of models presented on sale can confuse an inexperienced buyer. What kind of lawn mowing should be preferred for equal performance?
Of course, it is necessary to focus on the reputation of the manufacturer, the warranty period it provides for the operation of the tool, as well as how developed the service network for models of one or another brand is developed in, and what specific technical support can be expected in case of unforeseen breakdowns.
Husqvarna, Makita, Stihl, Oleo-MAC, ECHO are recognized leaders in the production of such tools. Lawn mowers of these brands, although they cost a lot, are fully consistent with quality standards. Only the technicians of production “Hitachi”, “Patriot”, “Caiman”, “Huter”, “Hyundai” deserve only positive assessments. If you don’t want to spend extra money only for a brand, then it’s quite possible to purchase a low-quality and relatively inexpensive tool of Chinese brands or assemblies. “Intertool”, “Rostec”, “Sadko”. Domestic gas braids, such as Cedar or Izhmash, also earned a good reputation.
Next is a short overview of popular lawn mowers from various manufacturers: