How to start a brushcutter correctly
What you need to know before using a new lawnmower
The question of how to start the grass trimmer, if the grass trimmer does not start or starts poorly arises if the gasoline grass trimmer engine is worn out, not regulated or when due to violations of the sequence of operations during engine start-up a lot of fuel has got into the combustion chamber (when the engine is “sucked in”). To help the engine start, you can pour a little fuel into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. It is best to use a special fluid to start the machine, but you can also use regular fuel from the starting tank of a grass trimmer or lawnmower.
Checking the gearbox before starting the gasoline grass trimmer should be created on a permanent basis. Lack of lubricant or too little lubricant increases friction in the gearbox at sufficiently high RPM. That causes the gears to overheat. Gearboxes in the brushcutter fail. To prevent the appearance of such a failure in the process of use and helps to constant inspection.
In the case of detection, before starting the gasoline grass trimmer, the lack of lubrication in the gearbox or its absence, “LITOL” is put in the housing. To do this, unscrew the screw on the bend of the gear housing and fill with LITOL in an amount of 1-2 ml.
Working with a gasoline trimmer for a long time, every 8-10 hours, add grease to the boom gearbox.
Preparing the right fuel mixture
Before you start your new lawn mower engine, you also need to mix the fuel right. As is clear for two-stroke engines it is prepared of special two-stroke oil and gasoline taken in certain ratios. Find the proportions in the booklet that came with the machine, or on the label of the lubricant. You will also learn the recommended fuel type, as well as the recommended type of engine oil.
Prepare fuel in small quantities, enough for 1 mowing. Use special canisters made of plastic or a separate glass or metal bowl for the fuel. Oil is best drawn with a honey syringe.
How to Start a Lawn Trimmer. Gasoline Grass Trimmer Starting a Cold Lawn Trimmer
, petrol grass trimmer. video tutorial Starting a cool lawnmower : 1. Preparing gasoline.
How to start the brushcutter
Starting a gasoline grass trimmer to cut the grass.
Going to run in a new lawn mower
, Many people have problems with the fuel mix. And the reason for this disagreement in the tool manufacturer’s instructions and in the engine oil manufacturer’s instructions. The first recommends a ratio of 1:25. The second recommends 1:50. Who to Believe? What to do?
According to the experts, if the manufacturers write the proportion 1:25 or 1:30 in the instructions to trimmers, it’s most likely a cheap tool with poor cooling, or the manufacturer does not know what oil the consumer will add. But here it is necessary to understand that excessive lubricant does not affect the performance of the grass trimmer in the best way. Excess oil doesn’t burn out completely when the engine is running. It cokes, clogging up the cylinder and the piston.
Fuel mixture preparation and filling
For convenient preparation of the fuel mixture it is better to have a special canister. where one part contains gasoline and the other part contains 2-stroke oil. We recommend that you get one of these, it is very easy to use https://ru-sad.ru/prinadlezhnosti-dlya-sadovoy-tehniki/dlya-benzopil/kanistryi/
Next, take a measuring cup, with a scale on it, with its help you will be able to prepare a mixture as quickly and accurately as possible. Check the manual for the brands of gasoline and 2-stroke oil https://ru-sad.Recommended by the manufacturer for your lawn trimmer. Pour petrol and oil into the container for preparing the fuel mixture, according to the proportions given in the manual. Then carefully pour the ready mixture through a funnel into the fuel tank of the grass trimmer. The petrol and oil ratio must be exactly as specified in the manual. This is a very important time!
Starting a lawn mower with a cold engine
To start the lawnmower for the first time, find the choke lever and put it in the “closed” position. Turn on the ignition on the crank. If your model has a manual fuel pump, popularly called a suction pump, press it 3 to 5 times until you see fuel mixture inside the primer. Now the tool is ready to start. Place the grass trimmer on a flat surface to ensure a stable position. Gently pull out the starter cord until you feel resistance, and then pull the cord toward you 3 to 5 times in a sharp motion.
If the engine starts after 5 pulls, open the choke. If not, open the choke anyway (with the choke open and continuing to try to start the engine, the fuel will flood the spark plug and you’ll have to dry it, which is an unnecessary waste of time).
If the engine does not start, with the choke open, then close it keep pulling the cord. The first start can be tricky and take up to 15 pulls. Once the engine is running press the throttle lever once, that’s how you start the idle. Now let the engine run and warm up. After that you can stop it by pushing the stop button.
The first thing is to check the presence and quality of fuel
If you don’t understand why the lawnmower won’t start, first make sure there is fuel in the tank. Often beginners forget that it is necessary to pause periodically to fill the tool with gasoline and oil mixture. If the mower’s tank is empty, of course it won’t start, no matter how many times you try.
If you have fuel in the tank but you can’t start the engine with the tool, don’t rush to disassemble the carburetor. Make sure to start the grass trimmer’s engine correctly, as specified in the manual. If the start-up is done according to the instructions, then it is important to consider the following points:
- Not only use high-quality gasoline with the highest octane number, but exactly the brand recommended by the manufacturer. And not always this brand is gasoline AI-95. If you do not know what gasoline to use for the lawnmower, then choose AI-92
- Oil should be special. for two-stroke engines. If the lawnmower has a four-stroke engine, it must be filled with pure gasoline without mixing with oil. On the quality of engine oil for grass trimmer should not save, as well as on gasoline. After all, the operational life of the motor depends on the quality of the fuel used
- Proper preparation of the fuel mixture in a gasoline trimmer. Observations show that most mowers only initially control the process of making oil with gasoline for grass trimmer. The more experience the mower has, the less attention is paid to the process of mixing gasoline and oil for a two-stroke engine. The ratio of gasoline to oil should be as recommended by the manufacturer. Normally the ratio is 25:1, i.e. you need 40 ml of two-stroke oil per 1 liter of petrol (car engine oil and especially waste oil must not be used)
- Correct storage of the fuel mixture. It often happens that after the preparation of the fuel mixture, it stands for a long time more than 2 weeks. Do not keep the ready mix of petrol and oil for a long time, because it causes the oil to precipitate, and thereby the properties of both oil products are lost. Even after a long period of storage, stirring the mixture thoroughly is not a sufficient reason for continuing to use it. That is why it is not recommended to mix more than 2 liters of oil at a time
Check that all the above items have been implemented, and only then proceed to check the condition of the spark plug. grass trimmer does not start for a variety of reasons, and most of them can be identified by yourself. It is simply not practical to resort to disassembling the carburetor if the engine cannot be started. The next step in troubleshooting is to check the condition of the spark plug.
Why the lawn mower doesn’t start well?
There can be many reasons why a grass trimmer won’t start.
The most common causes of difficult starting are:
- problems with the quality of the fuel;
- faulty spark plugs;
- contamination of air and fuel filters;
- Problems with pressure equalization in the gas tank;
- exhaust manifold malfunction.
Most often these faults are not critical and you can fix them yourself. Let’s take a closer look at how to do it.
The spark plugs and the spark plug conduit
If you suspect spark plug failure, you should immediately unscrew the old spark plug and replace it with a new one. If there is no possibility to install a new spark plug at once. thoroughly clean and dry the old one. Drain the excess fuel through the spark plug conduit and dry it thoroughly. After that screw the spark plug back in, set the gap of 1 mm and try to start the engine again.
If the suggested manipulation didn’t yield the desirable result. check the spark plug contact. Another reason for the lack of spark may be a faulty ignition unit, which you are unlikely to be able to repair by yourself.
Air and fuel filter
If these parts of the lawnmower get dirty, they must either be completely replaced or thoroughly cleaned. When replacing the fuel filter, do not leave the intake manifold unprotected. it may provoke a breakdown in the engine piston system.
Problems with pressure equalization in the gas tank
This fault is caused by contamination of the breather plug. If it gets blocked there is a vacuum in the tank that prevents the flow of fuel. The breather plug can be cleaned with a standard needle.
If after checking these systems of the grass trimmer it did not start, most likely the cause is a problem with the carburetor (clogged jets, breached tightness) or the engine (wear of piston rings, chips on the cylinder). Repair of this type can also be done independently, but it is better to trust the specialists of the service center.
Lawnmowers have air-cooled engines, so clean cooling ribs (fan) ensure the quality of work and protect from overheating. Sometimes you have to remove some external engine parts to clean them. It is good to do compressed air cleaning, but you can also do it with a simple soft brush.
The engine should be filled only with quality fuel, it affects its performance, service life, and hence the savings on your budget. Drain the gasoline before winter, though it is better to work out all the old gasoline, then no plaque is formed. After leaving the gasoline, turn the starter, then all the valves will close. Do the filling in the spring.
Oil and spark plugs should be changed periodically. Change the oil according to the term specified in the instructions. Drain and discard the old one and fill in the new one, but only of the right grade and viscosity. Some engines have a drain at the bottom, and sometimes you have to turn the equipment sideways. It is better to drain oil when the engine is not cooled down so it runs out quicker and takes much accumulated garbage with it. Do not fill oil to the proper level and do not allow dirt to get in.
It is necessary to change plugs if they are worn, rusted and burnt. If you see soot or deposits on the spark plug, clean it and install a new one, setting the proper gap (per instructions) and tighten it carefully with a torque wrench.
Also remember to clean and, if necessary, change the fuel and air filters. The more dust in the operating areas, the more often this should be done, and before winter it is mandatory.
Step-by-step start-up instructions
To easily start the lawnmower, it is necessary to read the step-by-step instructions in more detail, but you also need to consider the rules of fueling the device, as well as many other important nuances.
In refueling before starting only gasoline models, the engine of which without the right fuel will not work properly or will not start at all. Therefore, having studied in detail the technical characteristics of your device, it is also necessary to read the information about ready-made fuel or the preparation of a special mixture with your own hands.
In the latter case, it is necessary to observe the proportions, which are specially calculated for the correct functioning of the mechanism.
Sometimes synthetic oils are used for this purpose. These types of fuel mixtures have lower cost, but practically do not differ in their qualitative characteristics. For 100 grams of synthetic oil it is necessary to apply 5 liters of gasoline, so the mixture will have proportions. 1: 50.
Blends with mineral oils are more expensive, because they are considered more natural and environmentally friendly, but in terms of technical characteristics they are only slightly superior to synthetic options. The proportions when using such materials will be 1: 35, that is, for 100 grams of oil you need to use 3.5 liters of gasoline.
There are also variants of gasoline lawnmowers, where the fuel tank is located separately from the oil sump, so there is no need to prepare the mixture.
But regardless of the model and type of fuel tank filling must be done in the same way. fill fuel not completely, but leaving 3-4 centimeters to the edge of the tank.
Depending on the lawnmower model, starting up will be done in different ways. Therefore it is necessary to take this into account and, comparing with the individual technical characteristics, proceed to connect the device and start the engine.
And if with the manual model, working on the principle of the usual grass mower, everything is quite simple, then when starting the gasoline model, there may be some difficulties.
A gasoline lawnmower can be started in two ways. with the engine unheated or warmed up.
Before starting an unheated engine, you must take care to disconnect the ignition system and transmission, and crank the motor shaft with the starter lever or starter. After that, you can proceed to start, acting as follows:
- First of all the ignition must be turned on;
- then it is necessary to close the air damper;
- after that you can safely start the engine.
After starting the machine, set the throttle lever to idle. Then, using the same lever, you need to switch the device to work at low speed, thereby giving the engine a chance to warm up. After that you can safely start the lawnmower at full power. It is worth noting that starting the device with an unheated engine is acceptable, but further operation in such a state is undesirable, as it will adversely affect the overall condition and functioning of the lawnmower.
Starting the lawnmower with a warmed-up engine is much easier, since this process does not require prior preparation. To do this, proceed as follows
- The control lever must be switched to the fuel supply mode at the maximum level;
- then it is necessary to start the engine;
- then you can choose the desired speed and start working.
These recommendations are suitable for any model, including hand-held lawnmowers that work on the principle of an ordinary lawn mower.
How to start after the winter?
To start the lawnmower after the winter period can be quite difficult, since most often devices of this type are stored in barns, where no heating is provided, and therefore exposed to the harsh winter climate, and sometimes to sharp temperature fluctuations. It is therefore necessary to approach this process wisely and take into account all the important nuances.
What oil to use for the grass trimmer?
The oil for 2-stroke trimmer engines must meet slightly different standards than the oil for 4-stroke engines. Lawnmower oil must have a high combustion rate so that it does not form soot on the internal parts of the fuel system (particles of soot can fall off and form scratches on the cylinder walls). Also 2-stroke oils should be soluble in gasoline and be able to withstand high temperatures.
With such serious standards in mind, today’s garden equipment manufacturers produce special lines of 2-stroke oils designed specifically for trimmers and brushcutters. Oils from manufacturers like Hado and STIHL are perfect for these machines, providing excellent lubrication and low flammability.
Starting the lawnmower for the first time or after a long standstill
lawn mower differs from grass trimmer in that the grass cutter is not a line for trimmer, but a mechanical gearbox or a winch based on gears, equipped with a knife. The blade drive is considerably more powerful than the blade mechanism. a powerful lawnmower is also used when cutting bushes. Both Chinese and European lawn mowers do not differ in anything special, when the declared power is real.
Start the trimmer for grass (brushcutter) after winter
To lubricate gears use lithol or solidol. After checking the gearbox, prepare the motor itself for work. according to the instructions above. If the start is unsuccessful. the problem is already in the engine.
Advantages of a petrol grass trimmer
Which lawn mower is better. gasoline or electric?
Comparing the characteristics of the electric mower, brushcutter and gasoline unit, you can notice that the latter has the following advantages:
- the costs during the operation of equipment are significantly reduced due to the use of gasoline AI-92 and AI-95 in the process of operation of the engine;
- A high degree of mobility, maneuverability of gasoline lawnmowers;
- long working time;
- adjustable cutting height and grass-cutting level;
- high performance indicators;
- more environmentally friendly;
- compact and easy to use;
- tank capacity of up to 70 liters;
- low maintenance;
- low gasoline consumption;
- high reliability;
- the same height of the grass is maintained on the whole area, it is possible to get a perfectly flat lawn;
- full autonomy. independence from external power supply;
- handles uneven areas;
- no exhaust gases are discharged into the atmosphere when the fuel is burned;
- supports mulching, grass collection, disposal of grass;
- the unit with mulching operates without excessive noise.
How to start the lawnmower
Often, the use of garden tools begins with the fact that you have bought a mower with all the necessary accessories and are ready to look at it in action, so most likely the obvious next action is to pull the cord. All right!
However, sometimes this is not enough, it is worth bearing in mind that, depending on the brand and type of unit, all models start differently. We will tell you some general tips on how to start the mower, as well as the reasons why it may not start.
The first thing to do before starting is to fill the unit with fuel and check the oil level.
There are cases when the user simply forgot to do it. In such cases, you can pull the starter rope for hours at a time. no miracle will happen! In order not to waste time on futile attempts, we tell you how to fill the lawnmower:
- Open the fuel cap, fill it to the mark. If there is no mark, but fill the fuel up to the neck, do not overfill.
- Check the oil level. If it is not enough, you will soon ruin the engine with such use, so it is better to refill. As a rule, oil is filled in through the cap on top of the body (often marked with “oil” or with an oil can).
It is important to know that many mowers, mostly with a two-stroke motor, require a fuel-oil mixture. That’s your case. read the manual carefully!
The next step is to pump the fuel pump.
To do this you need to find a soft cap near the spark plug, usually it is in red or black. Found? Great, press it 4-5 times to fill the carburetor with fuel. Do not get carried away or you will flood the engine.
Do not worry if you can not find such a pump, it is not present on all devices, so you have to fully open the throttle valve.
Read more: How to make a lawnmower from an angle grinder
The spark plug is located near the engine, you can recognize it by its rubber cap. Make sure the cap is tight.
This action is necessary to move the throttle lever to the middle or extreme position. Otherwise not enough gasoline will be supplied to the engine.
Be careful when starting! Most new mowers are made with a safety switch, which is important to hold while starting. If you don’t have one, make sure the machine is standing stable.
Support the mower with one hand and pull the starter rope sharply upwards with the other. It’s okay if you had to do it a couple of times before the technique starts, with experience the number of attempts will be reduced.
The result of a proper running-in of a gasoline grass trimmer
After you have been run-in lawnmower according to the instructions, as a result we will get a ready to work tool. Of course, it’s best not only to read the steps, but also to see the running-in on a video from the experts. The result of doing it right will be to get it right:
- trouble-free operation of the power tool for a long time;
- Quality starting of the unit and stability of the power delivered;
- The absence of unforeseen repairs grass trimmer after a quality run-in;
- No overheating.
In this regard, the initial processing of the Chinese grass trimmer is an integral part of the quality work of the device, which can work flawlessly, using blades for chain saws or cutting lines of different diameters when processing areas, available for purchase at the special store “Mower for grass”.
What precautions to take when working with a trimmer? There are a few simple and straightforward points after which you can avoid dangerous situations and minimize the likelihood of injury:
- Do not use a grass trimmer in wet or damp weather (especially an electric grass trimmer);
- Wear a body suit before mowing to avoid damaging your skin with bits of grass stems flying from the disc or line at high speed;
- Keep a distance of 15 meters from other people and pay attention to the signs that others may give;
- Using headphones or earplugs;
- Use an electric grass trimmer to make sure the cord from the extension cord is always behind you;
- Put on tight rubber boots that are easy to wash after work;
- Using gloves and goggles, avoid getting small stones in the eyes and respiratory tract;
- In the event of injury, consult a doctor immediately.
Also, be sure to look behind you if you suddenly encounter an obstacle in front or to the side. When plunging the rod with the blade into dense thickets of grass, be aware that there may be a rock, stump or berries (e.g., strawberries). Working with a trimmer requires discipline and attention, but once you understand the simple rules, it will become habitual, understandable and will bring only positive emotions from the results.
Chinese lawn mower running-in and operating issues. Practice
In this video we will point out the most widespread mistake during running-in of gasoline and gasoline saws. Buy parts.
Running in of the Chinese lawnmower and operation questions. Practice
I continue to share my first impressions about the tatra brushcutter. In this video I will briefly talk about the first start.
First running-in and startup of lawn mower Tatra BCU-73
How to properly run in lawn mowers and chain saws.
mechanical. to defend and store gasoline for work not in a metal container and not longer than 1 (one) month, otherwise it oxidizes and loses its properties;
chemical. no impurities and additives must be present (they have different speed, degree and temperature of combustion). Old gasoline turns yellow or red, and the impurities have pungent odors of bitterness (such as creosote) or acid (such as methyl alcohol).
The fuel mix ratio is 1:50 (2%) or 20 ml/cm3 oil per 1 liter of gasoline. For example, pour half a measure of gasoline into a clear plastic bottle (1 liter), then use a medical syringe (20 ml/cm3) to inject two-stroke oil and mix, then add gasoline and mix thoroughly. If the quality of petrol is doubtful or the working conditions are difficult, you can increase the amount of oil to 22-25 ml/cm3. Shake the mixture before each filling! Keep this fuel no longer than two weeks! If the mixture has changed color (turned from aquamarine to brown, for example), do not use it!
Get to the start of the lawnmower
Do not rush the lawn trimmer immediately after startup. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes to warm up. While the tool is warming up, adjust airflow with air regulator so that the bobbin with fishing line or knife would not rotate. Once the tool is warmed up, open the air supply by moving the lever to the “ON” position and squeeze the throttle trigger 1/2 and hold for 20 30 seconds. Then dump the gas and let the trimmer work at idle for 3040 seconds. Keep it this way for about 1015 minutes. Then switch it off and let it rest for 15-20 min.
Having cooled the lawnmower, we continue to make a run-in of the engine according to the previous scheme. To start the grass trimmer when it is hot, the air shutter must be open. Try not to hold the gas for a long time, because the moving parts of the tool are only lapping against each other. And don’t let the engine idle for too long because it can overheat.
The next step is the running-in of the reducer of the lawn mower. Choose an area with soft, young grass. Let’s make mowing for 510 minutes with halftwo-thirds of full throttle. After that take a break for 20 25 minutes. Repeat this cycle 34 times.
In general the lawnmower runs in accordance with the described algorithm until the fuel mixture in the tank is fully exhausted. After that the tool is ready to work for a long time. Monitor the temperature of the gearbox and motor during operation. They should not overheat.
Servicing your brushcutter (grass trimmer)
Engine. The air filter must always be clean (no dirt or shavings) and the foam filter should be oiled. Check the fuel filter once a week and replace it if necessary if the tool is used a lot. Check nuts and screws for tightness. before starting work. Clean the muffler (or muffler gauze) and plugs as necessary.
Cutting blades. Correctly and carefully sharpen the cutting edges by means of appropriate templates and files (emery tools) and at the correct cutting angles depending on the type of disc. Blades on both sides must be turned 180° at regular intervals and worn evenly. A blunt disc or a disc that has been badly or improperly sharpened cuts poorly and thus overloads the engine, causing it to run for a shorter time.
Trimmer lines and trimmer heads. Use only mowing line specially designed for trimmers. do not use wire or metal cables! You should only use a line of the same size as recommended by the manufacturer. Wind the bobbin tightly but without crossing the coils. Clean the brushcutter head of dirt and lubricate as needed. A worn or deformed head may damage the gearbox and/or the brushcutter shaft.
Angle reducer. Clean off dirt as needed (this “furring” prevents proper cooling of the gearbox) and apply Husqvarna or similar grease to the gearcase.
Protective guards. You should not operate your brushcutter without its guard. The guard is a danger to life and limb and may overload the brushcutter engine. You should use only the blade guard specified by the manufacturer for each cutting attachment.
Do-it-yourself brushcutter repair
It is important to note that it is not always possible to repair your brushcutter yourself, but in most cases everyone can do it.
If the grass trimmer motor broke, and you are not an auto mechanic and not an electrician, it is better not to try to repair the mechanism. there is a chance that you can not put it back together. There may be such problems: low compression in the engine, the engine is jammed, the carburetor is out of order. If these words do not tell you anything, you should not repair your brushcutter by picture and intuition.
It should be noted that the maintenance and repair of chainsaws and brushcutters are similar in many ways.
Grass trimmers consist of a shaft, a motor (it can be on top or underneath), and a mowing head with blades, various additional elements. What you can fix yourself?
air flap; 2. handle; 3. engine stopping device; 4. throttle control lever;
limiting bracket; 6. boom; 7. cutting head protection device
1) If the on/off toggle switch fails, and if you are familiar with simple wiring diagrams and have a soldering iron, solder, and rosin, you can easily replace the toggle switch with a new one. You can buy them at electrical goods and lighting fixtures stores.
2) If the wire stop has fallen off the trimmer head, it can be taped to the shaft with flexible copper or aluminum wire. You can also make a new attachment from a strip of stainless steel.
3) If the trimmer line breaks in the mowing head drum, nothing is easier than replacing it yourself. You can, of course, just buy a brushcutter head separately and replace it, but a line for a trimmer is one hundred percent cheaper. Optimal material here is a line for trimmer from 0.9 to 1.5 mm, nylon or kapron. Measure the diameter of the line you are using at once, before it runs out completely. Thinner may tear, thicker may cause engine overheating and unnecessary vibration. You need to disassemble the reel and wind the trimmer line by hand, then reassemble the reel.
4) If the bar breaks, it can also be repaired by taping or gluing it to wooden laths or iron brackets.
5) If the engine starts to vibrate strongly and is running rough, you may need to lubricate your brushcutter. Any grass trimmer is easy to disassemble, it is recommended to lubricate it with technical oil at least once a year.
7) If your weed trimmer is equipped with plastic blades, and they are deformed for some reason, there is a way to replace them with metal ones. To do this you need to make some stainless steel blades. This is difficult at home, but the situation can save a turner you know, working at an industrial plant or factory. The blades are attached to the shaft using a sleeve with a washer. This modernization would lead to the fact that the trimmer will be possible to mow grass of any hardness. But it would be better to be more careful with such a trimmer.
8) The engine will not start? To start the brushcutter, even when it’s hot, you may need to close the choke completely to get the mixture richer. Check gasoline supply, clean, replace glow plug if necessary.