How to start a chain saw in freezing temperatures. Problems with the ignition system
How to start a chainsaw
When a chainsaw is put into service after a long period of non-use it must be correctly prepared for the first start. Some steps have to be taken even if the tool is brand new. How quickly the engine starts, whether it starts at all, and how the chainsaw operates while cutting wood depends on this.
Include the following steps before each “cold” start:
- Install the chainsaw headset.
- Tighten the chain.
- Check the air filter.
- Check the spark plug (you don’t need to do 3 or 4 steps for a new chain saw).
- Fill up the lubrication oil for the saw unit.
- Fill the fuel tank with a properly prepared fuel mixture.
- Park your chain saw on a firm, level surface so you can hold it securely in place when you start, and make sure you don’t let the chain touch anything, like branches, grass, the ground, your helper’s foot, and so on.
Also check that all your chain saw parts are securely fastened in place, nothing is loose or twisted.
To check the air filter, unscrew the retaining clamp, remove the protective cover and remove the filter element itself. If you have already used the chain saw, do not allow wood chips to get into the carburetor accidentally. Clean the element. it can be washed under running water and detergent and then thoroughly dried.
Check the spark plug while the air filter is removed. To unscrew it, use the socket wrench that came with your chain saw. Spark plug electrodes should be clean, without soot and char layer, as well as dry. If the construction of the spark plug permits, check the electrode gap and, if necessary, set the gap to the value shown in your chain saw’s instruction manual. Screw the spark plug back in without tearing the thread. After that, install the air filter.
How to start chainsaw?
Most European models have a similar starting system and starter mechanism. Exception: old home-made chain saws (Ural, Lesnik). There is a knob on the housing through which the rope is passed. If it is lifted, the cable meshes with the ratchet drum, several revolutions of the crankshaft occur. At the same time, the fuel is ejected and ignited by the spark plug, after which the chainsaw starts. The following mechanisms can be implemented in quality chainsaw models to simplify starting:
- installation of a choke in the carburetor for pre-enrichment of the fuel mixture;
- a decompression valve that reduces the working pressure in the engine cylinder;
- a spring, which during the movement of the cable facilitates the crankshaft unscrewing;
- Additional priming pump (standard on American models).
The starter is constantly exposed to dynamic loads. This can cause it to fail at any time, right at the start. If you use the saw a lot, a maintenance program at least once a year is recommended. We recommend that only two of us replace the starter cord, because the spring has to be fixed securely.
Getting the STIHL MS 180 C started
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous model, has some differences in the starting mechanism, but it does not bring any changes in the algorithm of starting. The thing is that the STIHL 180 C is equipped with the ErgoStart system, which, thanks to an additional spring in the starter chain saw, reduces the resistance of the engine when starting.
The way to start a hot engine and an engine equipped with a decompression system.
A hot engine, does not need air to enrich the fuel mixture, so you can start the saw without closing the air damper. Simply turn on the ignition and make a motion with the starter motor, after which a good chainsaw should start.
High-volume engines have a fairly serious compression, which makes it extremely difficult to crank. To reduce the effort required to start a large-volume, high-power chain saw, manufacturers use special decompression valves that, when pressed, significantly reduce compression and make the engine crank easier.
Valves can be different, so check the instruction manual of the tool beforehand.
Thus, before any kind of starting, whether hot or cold, this valve must be pressed, designed to reduce resistance, and thus increase the life of the starter.
articles, we can summarize the key points of chain saw starting. First, you have to start it with maximum safety. Second, any deviation from the starting algorithm is not allowed. And finally, you can’t start a chainsaw without a starter motor! Take into account the information in the article and use your tool correctly.
The main reasons why the chainsaw does not start on video. The video will be useful to those who quickly want to start the saw, the author gives sensible tips.
When a situation arises when the chainsaw does not start, it is important to properly diagnose, determine the direction in which to look for the fault. Do not use a tool that does not run at idle speed, as this indicates the presence of air suction in the engine and can lead to serious problems. If the experience in the repair of chain saws is not enough, it is better to contact a specialist, who will save your time and nerves.
Malfunctions on the chain saw
Chainsaws are simple machines in design and operation. If handled properly, it rarely malfunctions and is often quickly repaired by the owner.
Our overview is designed to help in extreme situations where you need to understand and eliminate the underlying causes of the malfunctioning tool.
What to do if your chainsaw won’t start?
There are many factors why a chainsaw won’t start when you follow the starting technique. The most common causes and remedies:
- no spark on the spark plug. need to replace or dry out if water gets in;
- problem with gasoline supply to filter. blow out fuel hose or filter, replace;
- Fuel or air filter clogged. a good cleaning is needed.
If these simple tips don’t help, a full diagnosis of the problems is needed. We recommend that you take your chain saw to a STIHL service center, where they can check the cylinder and crankcase compression and the carburetor.
Proper chain saw start-up ensures the stable and reliable operation of this tool. When starting, before starting the saw, properly prepare and pour the fuel mixture, adjust the main elements of the construction. It is important to consider the weather conditions as well as the specifics of your particular model.
Number of blocks: 11 | Total number of characters: 13655Number of donors used: 3Information on each donor:
How to start the chainsaw correctly
Before you start the tool, you should carefully examine the work area and safety precautions. The algorithm for starting the chainsaw consists of the following steps:
- Press the chain brake forward, activating it. Remove the tire protection.
- If there is a decompression valve or fuel pump, press.
- Set the combination lever in the cold start position (throttle).
- Position the saw on level ground so that the cutting edge does not touch the ground.
- Hold the handle with your left hand and the starter rope with your right. Toe of right foot is placed on rear handle for tool stability.
- Gently pull the starter rope until a distinct resistance, then pull it sharply several times to get the motor to start briefly.
- Open the throttle by moving the combination lever one locking position to half throttle mode.
- Pull the cable again and at the moment of starting the engine press the throttle lever. In this case, the combined lever moves to the normal idle position.
- Carefully lift the brushcutter without touching the engine control lever.
- Pull the chain brake handle toward you until you hear a distinct click, which signals the chain is unlocked and can move along the bar.
Imagine Dragons. Natural (Lyrics)
It is also possible to start the chainsaw by clamping it between your knees. That said, regardless of which way you choose to start the saw, the chain brake should always be on, as instructed.
Sometimes a chainsaw that is not equipped with a manual priming pump will not start after an extended period of idle time. In such a case, remove the air filter cover, take out the filter element and use a syringe to pour a few drops of gasoline directly into the carburetor. After about 30 seconds fumes will build up and you can pull the starter grip. In an extreme case, you can apply a more radical method. remove the spark plug, pour a few drops of gasoline inside the cylinder and screw the spark plug back in.
To deactivate the chainsaw: highlights
With the onset of spring, there is much more work to do in the home than during the winter season. This means that it’s time for the chainsaw as well. it needs to be disassembled and prepared to start working. The procedure for this will be as follows:
- External inspection of the instrument for minor malfunctions and their elimination.
- Check the condition of the spark plug and replace it if necessary.
- Checking the fuel and air filter.
- Updating saw chain sharpening.
- Installing the bar and chain guide bar and tightening the tensioning.
- Filling the oil tank and lubricating friction points and surfaces.
- Mixing and priming the fuel tank with freshly made fuel.
- Checking the chain brake.
- Check starter mechanism.
- Starting and controlling the chainsaw when it is idling.
#16 Yamaha Jog. first start. STIHL chainsaw ignition on a scooter
The fuel-air mix tends to lose its quality if stored for too long and should not be used. This can lead to problems ranging from loss of engine power to clogged carburetor and fuel system passages.
Sharpening the saw chain in the picture
As with new chain saws when starting up, it is important that the chainsaw is properly adjusted when the machine is taken out of service. The chain should not jam the material and should not move jerkily. If it is too tight, you will have difficulty turning, and if it is loose, you will have great vibrations and a heavy sawing motion. You can check the tension in the chain by taking the chain by the spike at the bar nose and pulling it back. If it is adjusted correctly about one third of the shank will remain in the groove of the bar and the chain will move freely.
Some chainsaw models are fitted with automatic chain tensioning. But even in this case chain-setting must always be checked visually and manually.
Only with the right attitude the tool can you get proper use and a long service life. Remember to put your chainsaw into its winter storage and do everything you can to put it into operation in the spring, and it will last you as long as possible without causing you any trouble.