How To Start A Chainsaw After A Long Idle Time
We start Stihl MS 211 C-BE
The fuel supply system in the Stihl MS 211 C-BE chainsaw is additionally equipped with a manual fuel pump, which makes it easier to start the chainsaw on a cold.
The instruction for starting this model of the Stihl chainsaw contains one additional point, which is that before starting the chainsaw on a cold one, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburetor using a pump. Further, the instruction does not differ from starting Stihl 180 and follows the same algorithm.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw
All Stihl chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, the cold start of which has a similar algorithm. But there are models on which additional equipment is installed, allowing you to start the saw without undue effort. For this reason, the algorithm for starting them may differ slightly.
Let’s take a look at how to start a regular saw and how the process differs from starting a modified model.
We start Stihl MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the Stihl 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
Before starting a Stihl chainsaw on which a decompression valve is installed, you must turn it on. It should be noted that there is no decompression valve on the Stihl 250 saw.
After the first flash has passed, the valve will return to normal operation, respectively, after the engine control lever is set to the open position and starting continues, the decompression valve must be pressed again.
The valve operation is schematically shown in the figure below.
In fact, the valve does not make starting faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, because for during launch, a person will have to apply much less effort.
How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
I can’t start the chainsaw after a long period of inactivity. Such comments can be found on the forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s figure out how to start a chainsaw after a long downtime.
The fact is that a successful start after downtime, you need to take care in advance and properly prepare the saw for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, before storing, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the engine and burn off the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick together. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after long-term storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw six months after idle time, if just before starting, through the spark plug hole, add 1 2 ml of fuel mixture to the cylinder. This can be done with a syringe.
We start Stihl 180
In order to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw on a cold one, you must follow the algorithm specified by the manufacturer in the instructions for the Stihl 180 chainsaw, namely:
- Turn on the ignition and set the engine control lever to the lowest position (in this position, the air damper of the Stihl 180 carburetor blocks air from the air filter, and the throttle valve is fully open, thus the fuel mixture is enriched);
- Pull the starter handle several times until the first flash passes (the flash signals that the fuel mixture has entered the cylinder and the saw is ready to start);
- Set the control lever one position up from fully lowered (in this position, the air damper opens, and the throttle valve remains in the same position as before);
- Pull the starter and start. The saw will start and run at higher rpm due to the fact that the throttle valve is open as much as possible. To set the damper to idle mode, you must press the gas trigger and immediately release, the tool immediately normalizes the speed.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, as standard, does not have any additional devices that can facilitate starting.
Below you can see how to start Stihl 180. It reflects in detail all the main points, and the author’s comments allow you to understand the whole process to the smallest detail.
Loss of elasticity by seals
When parked for a long time, rubber bands, gaskets, oil seals lose their parameters. This is due to the fact that when the car is parked, oil and lubricants flow into the crankcase and sump. Then the rubber seals begin to be negatively affected by the air. As a result, they dry out and become covered with cracks, multiple cracks appear at the installation sites.
It should be immediately agreed that the term is long-term simple. The concept is relative. Therefore, we will separately consider starting the engine after different periods of parking, including long-term storage of the car. After a long parking of the car, the following negative factors may appear:
- Battery discharge.
- Oxidized contacts.
- Piston rings stuck in pistons.
- Air penetration into the power supply system of diesel power units.
- Evaporation of gasoline from the carburetor body, or draining fuel from the tank.
In addition to these well-known situations, the consequences of animal life can be seen. Even drivers who constantly operate their cars can find that hoses or wires are gnawed by rats. There is a chance that after such a parking, the car will not start for a long time.
Features of starting the engine after a long stay in the cold
If the machine has been parked and not operated for a long period, then it should be carefully prepared for start-up. This is especially true for the winter period. In fact, the first start of the motor is not much different from other starts, with the exception of some peculiarities:
- Pump up fuel with accelerator pedal.
- Turn on the ignition and wait.
- Turn on the starter and turn the engine.
- It is necessary to rotate the engine no more than 10 seconds. If the result is negative, you must wait two minutes.
- On vehicles with a manual transmission, starting is carried out with the clutch pedal depressed. When the engine warms up to 20 degrees, the pedal can be released. If the car begins to twitch, then you need to repeat everything.
- Warm up the engine.
- After starting, inspect the bottom of the engine for leaks. If they are, then the engine must be stopped and the causes of leaks must be eliminated.
- In severe frost, the engine must be warmed up at idle speed to a minimum, and then move at low speed, avoiding excessive loads.
Parking up to one month
A serviceable car after such a parking should start without problems, since the main malfunction of the car in such situations is the discharged battery. Therefore, one must take into account its seasonal peculiarity. Even in cold weather at 15 degrees, idle for 10 days often leads to battery discharge. In warm weather, the battery can only be discharged from leakage current, the rate of which should not be more than the permissible one. Signs by which it becomes clear that the engine does not start due to the battery are as follows:
- When the ignition is on, the indicators on the instrument panel are off.
- A small click is heard when trying to start the motor.
- The starter makes a slow rotation of the engine crankshaft.
You will need to charge the battery using a special device for charging car batteries, or seek help from outside drivers. To start the engine, you need crocodile starting clamps, as well as knowledge of the rules for performing lighting from an external power source. If your car has a manual transmission, then it can be started from the pusher.
Significant effort is required to start a diesel engine, therefore, not all cars equipped with a diesel engine can be started in this way without consequences, so it is better to refuse this method.
Checking the brake discs
These parts are subject to intense corrosion from time to time when the machine is parked. It is usually easy to remove, you just need to drive and brake several times.
Before traveling by car, you need to inspect the brake pads, they can come unstuck from time to time. When parked for more than three years, it is recommended to replace the pads with new ones.
Parking the car for several months
To start successfully, you will need a fully charged battery to start the engine. Before starting the engine after a long stay, you need to:
- Visually inspect the battery terminals. The formation of oxides at the terminals of the battery, as well as at the contacts of the starter, in the connection of the ground wire with the motor, greatly reduce or even exclude the possibility of quick start.
- Check the presence of technical fluids: engine oil, coolant.
If the car was standing in conditions of high humidity, then the terminals of the distributor and the ignition coil may oxidize. If the engine on your car is equipped with a contact ignition system, then it is better to clean the distributor contacts. When working on the contacts, carbon deposits are created, which makes it difficult to start the motor during long-term parking.
In the summer heat during the parking period, most likely, all the fuel from the carburetor could dry out. Therefore, before starting, you need to try to pump up gasoline with a manual booster pump. If the engine does not start, and the reason is clearly in the fuel supply, then you can pour 20 grams of fuel into the carburetor chamber. If the ignition is good, the engine should start.
For cars of the new release with injection engines, a long downtime is not at all terrible. If the fuel return valve is intact, the machine will start. The fuel pump will pump fuel and create the required pressure. If the engine does not start, then you need to look for faults. Information about possible malfunctions can help in this.
The main problem for a diesel engine after a long stay can be air penetration into the fuel system. You can use a special device for manual inflation, if available in the car. To remove air from the system for many machines, special valves are made.
General rules for using a chainsaw
The basic rules for operating the tool are the same for all brands Stihl 180, Echo, Ural, and they are as follows:
- Hold the saw with two hands, grasping the handle with all fingers.
- The employee should not be directly behind the chainsaw, but to the side of it.
- Use the top or bottom edge of the tool to cut material.
- If you need to move to another location, for safety reasons, turn off the engine.
- You need to start sawing with that part of the bar that is located closer to the body.
- The employee must wear special clothing, boots with protective inserts and use personal protective equipment, glasses, durable gloves, a helmet.
How to start a chainsaw correctly?
Chainsaws can be started in different ways, depending on the model and technical condition. Today we will consider, how to start a chainsaw without a starter, what to do if the tool has not been used for a long time. In any case, before using the tool, you should carefully study the instructions, follow the operating and safety rules.
How to start a new chainsaw?
Before starting a new chainsaw, you should clean it of the preservative, check the equipment, the reliability of the fasteners tightening, and the chain tension. Before intensive use, the tool must be run in. This should be done not at idle speed, but under light load, which will avoid rapid engine wear.
The tool is started using a starter, which in many models is connected to an inertial or spring-type light start system. With proper adjustment of this mechanism, the effort that is applied to start the motor is almost halved.
To extend the working life of the starting device, you should work out a smooth movement, in which high loads will not be created.
The first launch is performed in this order:
- The equipment should be filled with fuels and lubricants, placed on a flat, stable surface, unlocked the protection mechanism against accidental start and emergency stop.
- To start the engine, the throttle lever is set to the low speed position. Pull the starter in a smooth motion, hold the tool with the other hand. As a rule, a new saw in a technically sound condition starts up from the third to fourth time.
- When idling, the crank mechanism operates in conditions of oil shortage, so this time should be minimized.
At the factory, the carburetor is adjusted according to average parameters. Therefore, they are brought to optimal values already during the operation of the chainsaw. The motor must work without interruptions, not emit extraneous noise. For a full lapping of all systems and parts, moderate loads are used.
How to start the tool after a long period of inactivity?
After long-term storage, you may encounter some problems when starting the motor. The first thing to do is to make sure that the equipment is in good working order, there is a spark, fuel, and there is no wire break.
If the saw is in good working order, it is being launched:
- Turn the fuel cock to open;
- Press the enrichment button, which will fill the carburetor with fuel;
- Turn the lever and completely close the air damper;
- Start the engine with the starter, press the throttle, pull the cord smoothly, without sudden jerks, turning the crankshaft.
- After a flash of the combustible mixture, open the air damper and continue starting the engine.