How To Start A Chainsaw Stihl 180 Video
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180. A tool worthy of attention The device of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw: technical specifications, malfunctions and repairs, do-it-yourself carburetor adjustment and much more on our website!
Features of the operation of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw
This model of the chainsaw, as well as its modification. The Stihl MS 180 C BE chainsaws, is not difficult to use. Below we will study the basic rules of operation that will protect the main parts and mechanisms of the chainsaw from premature wear.
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180. A tool worthy of attention
Of course, each of us strives to purchase a high-quality chainsaw, which would be distinguished by reliability, high working life, economy and good technical characteristics. All these criteria are fully met by the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw. We will talk about its advantages, common breakdowns and self-repair in more detail.
Stihl MC 180 chainsaw device. Model components
The design of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is quite difficult to call simple. This is due to the peculiarities of the operation of this model. The Stihl 180 chainsaw device consists of the following components:
The manufacturer took into account the possibility of regular operation of the chainsaw at low temperatures, which resulted in the presence of a proprietary system for a smoother and faster engine start.
We start Stihl MS 211 C-BE
The fuel supply system in the Stihl MS 211 C-BE chainsaw is additionally equipped with a manual fuel pump, which makes it easier to start the chainsaw on a cold one.
The instruction for starting this model of the Stihl chainsaw contains one additional point, which is that before starting the chainsaw on a cold one, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburetor using a pump. Further, the instruction does not differ from starting Stihl 180 and follows the same algorithm.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw
All Stihl chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, the cold start of which has a similar algorithm. But there are models on which additional equipment is installed, which allows you to start the saw without excessive efforts. For this reason, the algorithm for starting them may be slightly different.
Let’s take a look at how to start a regular saw and how the process differs from starting a modified model.
How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
Before starting a Stihl chainsaw on which a decompression valve is installed, you must turn it on. It should be noted that there is no decompression valve on the Stihl 250 saw.
After the first flash has passed, the valve will return to normal operation, so after the engine control lever is set to the choke open position and starting continues, the decompression valve must be pressed again.
The valve operation is schematically shown in the figure below.
In fact, the valve does not make starting faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, because for during the launch, a person will have to apply significantly less effort.
How to start a chainsaw
The question of how to start a chainsaw can be divided into two parts:
- Factory according to instructions
- What to do if you can’t start
The information from the first part will be useful to those who have lost the instructions, or to those who have little information about the instructions.
The second part will tell you what to do if you did everything correctly according to the instructions, but the chainsaw still won’t start. It will also be useful for those who have a poor start-up of a chainsaw.
2.Why won’t the chainsaw start?
If you did everything according to the instructions, and the chainsaw does not start, then something is wrong with it. This may be due to several of the most common reasons: no spark; no fuel is supplied; air filter clogged. So, below we propose a procedure that will help identify the reason why the chainsaw does not start.
1.We start the chainsaw according to the instructions
For different chainsaws, starting can be done in different ways. Let’s look at two of the most popular mechanisms that are used to start a chainsaw that exist today. Let’s take the Stihl MS 180 and Echo CS-352ES chainsaws as an example. If you have a different brand of chainsaw, then just try to start by analogy, since most likely you have the same or similar mechanism.
Before starting the description of the starting process, I would like to note that for some chainsaws, the instructions say that before starting the chainsaw, you need to turn on the emergency stop brake. Say it’s safer. However, with a fixed brake, starting the chainsaw is more difficult, so it is better to unlock it. If you do everything according to your mind, then the chainsaw will not do anything to you during startup. If you are afraid that without fixing the brake the chainsaw, when you try to start it, can harm you, then it is better not to take up this tool at all.
So let’s start with the Stihl MS 180.
- The first thing to do before starting this chainsaw is to move the choke adjustment lever to the lower position (Fig. 1). Please note that this lever moves to the very bottom on the chainsaw only if the gas button is pressed. Therefore, we hold down the gas button and move the lever down. Thus, we close the choke in the carburetor and fix the gas in the pressed position at the chainsaw.
1 After you have done this, further, to start the chainsaw, begin to pull the starter handle with an energetic movement until you hear that the chainsaw tried to start and immediately stalled. After that, we move the throttle position adjustment lever at the chainsaw one step up (Fig. 2).
- In this position, pull the starter handle again until the chainsaw starts. At the same time, if it turned out to be started, due to the fact that the throttle stick is fixed in the pressed position, it will immediately work at high speeds.
- Then, once press and release the gas button on the chainsaw. The choke adjustment lever will automatically return to the operating position (Fig. 3), and the speed of the chainsaw will decrease. Now you can work.
- If you need to start a heated chainsaw, then you just need to put the lever in the position, as in fig. 3, and can be wound up.
- To stop the engine of the chainsaw, lift the choke adjustment lever to the upper position (Fig. 4).
Now let’s take a look at the second second mechanism that allows you to start the chainsaw.
- First, before trying to start, turn on the ignition by moving the toggle switch or the chainsaw switch to the appropriate position (Fig. 5).
5 Then press the swap primer several times (fig. 6). Gasoline will be pumped into it and then click on it 3-5 more times. If you have a chainsaw without a primer, then proceed to the next step.
6 Now on the chainsaw, pull the throttle position adjustment lever to the end (fig. 7). In some chainsaws, in order to start it, this lever can only be pulled out when the gas button is pressed, while the gas button itself will be fixed in the pressed position. Others do not have to press the gas button. True, in this case, the gas on the chainsaw is fixed automatically or not at all.
- Next, we pull the starter handle until the chainsaw makes an attempt to start and stalls. After that, push the throttle position adjustment lever back on the chainsaw until it stops and pull the starter handle again until the chainsaw starts. In some cases, in order to start the chainsaw, the throttle position adjustment lever needs to be pushed only halfway, and it must be fully pushed in after the chainsaw starts.
- Chainsaws with fixed gas have high RPM after starting. Where there is no fixation, the revs are low. In the latter case, due to low revolutions, the chainsaw usually stalls after working for a short time. In this case, without adjusting anything, we start the chainsaw again and this can be done several times until the chainsaw warms up a little and can already keep the speed and not stall.
- To start a hot chainsaw, you just need to turn on the ignition by moving the corresponding toggle switch, and you can pull the starter handle.
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so everything can also be switched on safely and more comfortably without the use of braking equipment.
2 diagram of a standard mechanism. How to start the saw correctly
- Step 1. The ignition is turned on. To do this, you must move the toggle switch to the desired location or move the switch.
- Step 2. The swap primer usually has to be pressed more than two times. Gasoline is poured into it, after which you will have to press the device more than three times. Sometimes the chainsaw is not equipped with a primer, then you can skip this step.
- Step 3. The adjustment lever responsible for the location of the damper, pull out all the way. Many chainsaws have the ability to block this element. Then it can only be moved while pressing and holding the throttle button. Some chainsaws do not have this lock, which makes them more comfortable to use. For these models, gas may not be fixed or retained when using automatic technologies.
- Step 4. You need to take the starter handle and jerk it with sharp movements until the ignition is heard. It is celebrated by the institution and the almost instantaneous shutdown of the motor. After that, the shutter must be pushed back to its original position, checking it until it stops. Then the starter handle jerks again until the device starts. Before carrying out this event, you need to make sure that it is this method that will help start the chainsaw. Some devices have a different ignition system. In order for the motor to work in them, you need to move the damper only 50%, and only when the motor starts to actively work, move it completely.
- Step 5. If you purchased a seating gas model, you need to prepare in advance for the highest engine speed immediately after activating the device. When there is no fixation, the initial power is very low, so in most cases it must be increased. If you do not take any action, then in the latter case, the saw runs for a short period of time, and then automatically stalls. If this happens, you need to start the chainsaw again.
Diagram of a standard mechanism
- Step 1. Before starting the benzoil, it is necessary to move the flap, which acts as an adjustment lever, downwards, in comparison with the optimal position. First you need to press the button responsible for the gas supply. Only if this condition is met is it possible to move the damper normally to the extreme stop from below. It is necessary to simultaneously move the damper and hold down the gas button. The gas is set to the standard position and the choke closes the carburetor, preparing the unit for correct operation.
- Step 2. The starter handle should be pulled, and this is done in jerks, not soft movements. This action requires the use of moderate force. These jerks should be continued until the start of the chainsaw ignition is clearly heard, which ends very quickly (dies down). After the implementation of this measure, the position of the damper must be moved one step up.
- Step 3. Starter handle twitches again then until the system starts. When the device starts to actively work, a high speed is immediately noticeable, since the throttle stick is at a high level. It must be remembered that sometimes chainsaws are supplied without a starter, then all actions with this element are released.
- Step 4. The gas button is pressed once and then released, then the position of the damper will immediately become optimal. The speed drops, that is, the intensity of the chain revolutions.
- Step 5. The already warmed-up chainsaw starts when the lever is set to the “1” position, and then the actions are performed to turn on the device.
- Step 6. To turn off the engine of the device, it is necessary to put the damper in the highest position.