How To Start A Chainsaw Without A Starter
How to start a car without a starter, or how to close the starter directly?
The engine is called the “heart” of the car, while the starter can be safely called its right or left “atrium”. And if a breakdown occurs with the starter for any reason, then difficulties arise with starting the power unit.
So how can we start a car without a starter, well, or close it directly?
We are trying to get a “druzhban” without his “atrium
Initially, it would be good to try to find out the reasons for the failure of the starter. and if you are lucky and the problems associated with its breakdown, you can fix it yourself.
The most common breakdowns are as follows:
- Starter relay breakage.
- The solenoid relay does not operate completely.
- Strong wear of the teeth of the bendix gear, namely, the gear rotates, but does not mesh with the teeth of the flywheel rim of the motor.
- Burned out stator winding in the starter.
So, we start the “heart” of the car.
Or how to start the car with a push, or “with a pusher”? Everything is quite simple, but at the same time very reliable. Its essence is that the driver needs to find at least a couple of people, let them be, for example, neighbors sympathetic to him in the garage cooperative. And it is not necessary that they be of a strong constitution, here the main number of participants is: the more, the better. The whole team (company) rests their hands on the trunk, on the rear pillars, etc., and begins to push the car, accelerating it.
The driver, in turn, sitting behind the wheel, already with the ignition on and, better, with the third gear engaged, as well as with the clutch depressed, after waiting for the car to accelerate, the clutch is already releasing. After that, the engine starts up after “sniffing”. The higher the acceleration speed, the faster the motor will start.
Method 2 is also effective and popular among drivers. This auto-folk way to start a car without a starter is called “towing”. this is when your iron friend is pulled on a towing rope by another vehicle until the engine starts.
With this method, it is important to remember that after starting the engine, the car will begin to accelerate and you must immediately squeeze the clutch and disengage the gear, but, of course, do not turn off the engine!
In addition, do not forget to press the brake so as not to hit the car pulling you in the rear and put your car on the handbrake, and after that you can already go and unhook the cable.
Method three. Or start the engine by simply closing the starter.
In addition to the above options, the engine can be started without “violent” methods. You just need to have at least a little understanding of how to close the starter directly?
Often, drivers close the starter using everything that is at hand in the car. This can be a screwdriver, a spade, a wrench, etc.
This is easily recognized by the characteristic clicks coming from the engine compartment when the engine is started. This sound tells the driver: “Hey friendhella, the relay is on, but the bendix gear is not able to crank the engine.” There is only one way out. you bridge the starter, and by this action you give voltage to the winding.
In this case, a large screwdriver is required, but any open-end wrench can be used. Any of these items must close the terminals of the solenoid relay and that’s it. But, do not forget, before you close the starter directly, you must:
- The key in the ignition lock must be in the appropriate position.
- The gear lever must be in neutral.
- The car must be put on the handbrake.
With this method, a screwdriver (wrench) plays the role of a solenoid relay and the engine of your car must start.
Before starting the generator, you need to prepare it. Only the purchased device needs to be unpacked. Remove all packages. Be sure to check the case for mechanical damage that the device may receive during transportation. The transportation of new models of gasoline generators is carried out without the presence of oil in the system. And before turning on the unit, it is necessary to pour the required amount of lubricant into the corresponding compartment, otherwise the engine will not work.
Before every new start, it is imperative to check the oil level and top up if necessary. A dry environment for an engine can be fatal. If an extension cord is used to connect a gasoline generator, it must be completely unwound and the cross-sectional value of the rated load must be specified. According to the standard, it should be 3-core, with a cross-section of more than 2.5 sq. Mm.
The preparation of a previously operated generator is carried out somewhat differently. It is necessary to check whether the gas generator has a grounding. If the generator has been interrupted for more than a month, the remaining fuel liquid must be drained from the tank. If the device is in constant readiness mode, but rarely functions, it is necessary to change the fuel on a regular basis. But this does not mean that unrefined fuel should be replaced with new one. In case of its shortage, it is enough to refuel. It is strictly forbidden to add fuel fluid while the engine is running.
Particular attention must be paid to checking the oil in the generator system. A complete renewal of the lubricant must be carried out every 60-70 operating hours. It is important to remember that if an oil composition of mineral origin was used, then it is strictly forbidden to dilute it with a synthetic one. Inconsistency in the composition of the oils can lead to engine failure. Before starting, it is also necessary to check if there is a connection to the generator of other electrical devices.
Initially, a test run is performed using a starter. Then the motor is turned off, a restart is done. Thanks to this approach to starting the device, the engine warms up gradually, respectively, you can increase the load on the electric generator. The main thing is to make sure that the total power consumption is not higher than the energy generated by the gas generator.
How to start?
It’s not a secret for anyone that the start of gasoline generators should be carried out in accordance with its design features. To date, 3 options for starting the generator system are being considered.
- Manual start.
- Electric start.
- Automatic start.
Most of the models of gasoline generators of the budget series have low or medium operating power. The plant of such units is done manually according to the instructions. But even without the manufacturer’s recommendations, it is not difficult to launch such a system. It is enough to apply a slight effort and pull on the handle on the cable. But it is worth remembering that the higher the power of the device, the more intensively the cable will have to be pulled. Further, it is proposed to get acquainted with the step-by-step instructions for manual start.
- Check that the air damper is closed.
- Pull the starter grip lightly.
- If you feel resistance, you should increase the tension by applying a sharp jerk.
- It is necessary to smoothly release the handle, but do not throw it.
- If it was not possible to start the device the first time, you must repeat the steps presented.
- If the start occurred without hesitation, it is necessary to give the started engine some time to warm up and open the choke.
An electric generator is much more convenient in terms of starting. No additional effort is required for his plant. Just turn the key or press the required button. In more expensive designs, there is a control panel that allows you to start a generator with an electric starter at a remote distance. Further, it is proposed to consider the step-by-step instructions for starting an electric generator.
- If the device contains a rechargeable battery, it is necessary to check its presence and performance. If it fails, replace it.
- Make sure that the terminals connected to the battery are firmly fixed with the correct polarity.
- Turn the key or press the button. If within 5 seconds after starting the engine does not come into operation, you must release the starter and try to restart it. After a long downtime, there is a high probability that there can be many repeated starts. The main thing is that each process should take no more than 5 seconds.
How to start in winter?
Surely everyone will agree that it is very unpleasant to be in a house where there is no electricity in winter in cold weather. And if you have a properly connected gasoline generator, such problems do not arise. However, the owners of such devices need to remember that there are several ways to start gasoline power plants in the winter.
To save the generator system from various damages during the cold season, the owner must drain the fuel fluid from the tank and lubricate the movable system components, especially when the next start-up will be made after a long time. But the most important thing is that a poorly working generator must be kept in rooms where the air temperature does not drop below 0 degrees.
How to start a gasoline generator?
Any modern technology requires special treatment and adherence to operating rules. If at least one of them is violated, the device may fail in the near future. But it’s one thing when it comes to a coffee maker, which, in principle, is easy to take to a master for repair or to buy a new one, and a completely different thing is a gasoline generator. If you respect this technique, you can avoid even the smallest breakdown.
When working with a gasoline generator, special attention should be paid to starting the device. Of course, according to the instructions, this process is not particularly difficult.
Unfortunately, gasoline generators can fail after long periods of inactivity. And not all users understand what the cause of a system malfunction may be. Accordingly, they leaf through the operating instructions in an attempt to find a solution to the problem. But the design of a gasoline generator is not so complicated, and you can find a malfunction without special knowledge. To begin with, you should consider the sequence of operation of the generator system. Free flow of fuel and spark is required to start the engine.
To check the flow of fuel into the cylinder, it is necessary to unscrew the spark plug and inspect its electrodes. If they are dry, no fuel is supplied. Wet electrodes indicate gasoline intake. In some cases, it happens that the candles are flooded with fuel when the generator is factory. The spark seems to be there, but the engine cannot be started. This situation occurs after a long stagnation of the generator. To solve the problem, you need to wipe the spark plug electrodes dry and screw it back. Next, you need to check for a spark. To do this, you need to insert it into the mouthpiece and connect the external electrode to any metal element of the engine.
It is only necessary to connect at a distant distance from the screwing point. Otherwise, the spark that appears may ignite from gasoline fumes from the cylinder. After the spark plug electrode is attached, you must pull the starter. If there is a spark, then everything is in order. If a spark does not appear, you will have to look for a solution to the problem on a more global scale, since the absence of a spark indicates wear on the candles or a malfunction of the generator’s electrical system. Further, it is proposed to familiarize yourself with several ways to troubleshoot problems in the absence of a generator plant.
- In the presence of incoming fuel and a spark, it is necessary to wipe the spark plug and then tighten it. And start again according to the rules of the instruction.
- If the candle turns out to be dry after unscrewing, you can make a technical injection. This requires a 1 or 2 dice syringe. Gasoline is pumped into it, which is subsequently poured into the cylinder. Then the candle is quickly twisted, a mouthpiece is put on it, and a plant is made. With this approach, the engine will start on the 1st or 2nd try. But with further work it may stall. If, nevertheless, the generator stalls, you will have to contact the service center.
- If suddenly there is no spark of the candle, and it was not possible to get it by replacing the mouthpiece, then the electrical system of the generator needs to be repaired. And only a specialist can fix the device.
Often, users, faced with a non-working generator system, begin to disassemble it and view the internal state. However, experts first of all recommend checking the oil level and the presence of fuel. In some cases, the generator stops working when the air filter is clogged. It is not so difficult to clean it with your own hands, and to establish its location, it is enough to look at the instruction manual.
A similar solution to the problem if the fuel filter becomes dirty. It also needs to be cleaned or replaced. If suddenly the generator engine does not start after the performed manipulations, the problem is probably the contamination of the carburetor.
In the next, you will see how to properly start a gasoline generator.
Features of the first and subsequent launches
Learning how to start a chainsaw correctly is, in principle, not difficult. The necessary skills are acquired directly during operation.
The chainsaw is started with a recoil starter, in most modern models combined with an inertial or spring system for easy starting. A properly adjusted mechanism reduces the force required to start the engine by almost half.
Since it is impossible to start a chainsaw without a starter, in order to extend its resource, it is necessary to develop a smooth, with a slight acceleration of the cord jerk, which does not create large loads on the design of the starting device.
- For the first start, the tool, fueled with fuel and chain oil, must be placed on a level surface, unlocked the accident prevention system and the emergency stop brake of the saw headset. If primer is present, fuel should be pumped into the carburetor.
- To start the engine, set the throttle trigger to low speed and, holding the tool by the handle, pull the starter handle. Starting a chainsaw for the first time, as they say, with a half-turn, most likely will not work. Even a completely serviceable and adjusted tool “grasps” from 3-4 attempts.
- At idle, the piston group and the connecting rod-crank assembly operate under oil starvation conditions, so the idling time must be limited to a minimum.
Reasons for a failed launch
To search for failures characteristic of internal combustion engines, there are developed algorithms that help to detect and eliminate a malfunction with a small investment of working time.
In a simpler version, this is an excess of fuel in the combustion chamber that makes it difficult to ignite the mixture, an unregulated gap in the spark plug, air leakage in the fuel supply system.
Disconnection of the carburetor flap control drive, contamination of the nozzles and the presence of water condensate in the float chamber is also not excluded.
Preparation and refueling of the combustible mixture
All modern chainsaws, with rare exceptions, are equipped with compact two-stroke internal combustion engines running on high-octane gasoline. A metered amount of special engine oil is added to the fuel in a ratio of 40: 1 or 50: 1.
There are few requirements for the quality of gasoline. these are:
- Minimum storage time;
- Octane number is not less than 92;
- Lack of water and foreign matter.
Fuel system tuning
The factory adjustment of the carburetor is carried out according to the average parameters, therefore the necessary adjustments to the operation of the fuel system are made during the operation of the chainsaw.
The sequence of self-tuning the fuel system by the owner himself is given in the instructions. To bring the engine to the optimal thrust and economy of fuel consumption, it is advisable to perform the adjustment using special equipment, which is equipped with service and repair services.
A running engine is checked for interruptions in the ignition system, extraneous noise, crankcase overheating and other shortcomings. Full lapping of the loaded parts and assemblies of the new chainsaw is carried out in operating mode with moderate loads. With short breaks for engine cooling, you can cut wood with a diameter of 100-150 mm.
Engine oil selection criteria
A full-fledged alternative to the recommended branded oils can be products from leading manufacturers that are similar in performance. As a result of natural selection, Stihl and Husqvarna motor oils and chain oils have been leading in unofficial consumer ratings for many years.
- It is strictly forbidden to use cheap analogues of unknown origin for the preparation of a combustible mixture for a chainsaw, as well as motor oils for mopeds and outboard motors.
- In order to avoid the risks of acquiring a cheaper, but low-quality counterfeit, it is recommended to buy consumables from branded and licensed trade enterprises.
The working mixture is prepared in a small amount, sufficient to perform a one-time job. For long-term use, more than one month, the combustible composition is not calculated due to significant deterioration in performance.
The mixture is poured through a fine-mesh filter or suede into a gas tank, from which a gas line is fed to the carburetor inlet.
How to start a chainsaw: tips and tricks
Novice sawers who do not have the skills to work with chainsaw equipment have to develop their own maintenance skills. How to prepare the fuel mixture and how to start the chainsaw is described in detail in the instructions attached to the tool.
At the initial stage of preparation for the first start, the new chainsaw is freed of preservative grease, after which you should make sure that it is fully equipped, that the threaded fasteners are securely tightened, especially in the area of \ u200b \ u200bthe attachment of the headset, the correct tension of the saw chain.
Launch of Chinese-made chainsaws
A significant part of the Chinese chainsaw tools are copies of famous European brands, while not always successful ones. In order to start a Chinese chainsaw, special skills are not required.
A feature of working with Chinese chainsaws is the recommendation for the use of branded motor and chain oils. Leading Chinese manufacturers have developed a wide range of specialty additives that positively impact the performance and durability of Chinese domestic and professional chainsaws.
Many models of household and professional chainsaws are factory run-in. Nevertheless, experienced specialists advise to operate the tool in gentle modes and on fuel with increased m of engine oil during the first refueling.
The answer to the popular question about starting a chainsaw
On the Internet, you can often find questions about how you can start a chainsaw without the help of a starter. The answer is simple. it is impossible in principle to start a chainsaw without a starter. Manufacturers do not provide for any alternative starting methods, since even if you remove it and start the saw in some way, it will be impossible for it to work due to irregularities in the cooling system. A volute is installed in it, which transfers the flow of cold air from the flywheel impeller to the cylinder.
If you remove it, the engine will overheat and most likely jam.
Chainsaw start algorithm
In order to start the chainsaw, several processes must occur simultaneously. This is the supply of the fuel mixture under the engine piston, its maximum compression and the supply at this moment of the spark for ignition and start.
All these processes occur at the moment when we pull the starter handle. If you have a new chainsaw, do not forget that it must be run in.
But not everything is as simple as it seems, the fuel for starting in cold and hot engine modes must differ in the quality of the air mixture. For example, a hot internal combustion engine can start with a normal air level, at which it works stably and keeps idling speed confidently. The same amount of air will be too much to start a cold engine, and before starting the chainsaw, you will have to pull the starter 10 times, or maybe more. How to solve this problem?
To reduce the amount of air and increase the fuel supply, the manufacturers of chainsaws installed a special damper in the carburetor, which is responsible for the process of adjusting the amount of air at the time of starting the internal combustion engine.
It turns out to start the saw engine several times faster, which increases the operating time of the starter and the entire saw as a whole.
So how do you start the saw correctly? The startup algorithm is as follows:
- Close the air damper completely. To do this, in all chainsaws, a special lever is installed, pulling which closes.
- Using a primer, pump fuel into the carburetor. This is necessary so that the internal combustion engine does not require several working cycles to fill the carburetor.
- Perform several movements with the starter until the first ignition in the cylinder. It is called the first outbreak. We will dwell on this point in more detail because of its extreme importance for a correct launch. It is at the time of the initial ignition that optimal conditions are created for the subsequent launch. Under the influence of the temperature from the first flash, the fuel in the cylinder evaporates, forming gas vapors, and as everyone knows, it is they who participate in the operation of the internal combustion engine. Therefore, the next stage should complete the process, and finally start the chainsaw engine.
- Open choke halfway and move with starter. After these actions, the chainsaw should start and start working at high speeds; to normalize them, you must press the control lever for the number of revolutions to the maximum and immediately lower it. After these actions, a properly adjusted engine will go into idle mode and reduce the speed.
What happens if you don’t open the air damper after the first flash? The answer is simple, the carburetor will not reduce the flow of fuel to the cylinder, and it will flood the spark plug electrode. After that, even a large number of movements with the starter will not allow starting the chainsaw.
Purge after algorithm violation
If you did not manage to start the chainsaw the first time, do not worry, it happens, most likely the problem lies in the excess fuel in the cylinder. It is necessary to carry out preparatory operations, namely, remove fuel from the cylinder, and try to start again.
To eliminate the problem, you will have to unscrew the spark plug and blow out the cylinder. To do this, it will be necessary to turn the tool with the candle hole down, turn off the ignition button and make several movements with the starter in this position. Due to the compression, the engine will squeeze out excess fuel, after which you can try to start the saw with a fully open choke.
How to start a chainsaw
With the development of gasoline-powered tools, a chain saw with a gasoline internal combustion engine (ICE) appeared in almost everyone who lives in rural areas or has a summer cottage. Household models, semi-professional-grade tools and professional units start up about the same. But not everyone knows how to start a chainsaw correctly. We will try to understand this issue and figure out how to start a chainsaw.
How to hold a chainsaw
To carry out the correct start of the chainsaw, an important point is how the saw is located at this moment, more precisely, how the operator holds it. There are two options for correctly holding the saw at the moment of starting.
The first option: the saw is placed on a level surface, the operator’s left hand is straight and holds the saw by the upper handle, the right foot is placed on the right-hand guard and presses the saw to the ground.
In this position, it is most convenient for the operator to launch the tool, because the right hand is free and the tool is securely fixed.
Option two: The operator stands, the left hand holds the upper handle of the saw, while the operator squeezes the rear handle between his legs.
This position allows you to easily start a low-power saw, and at the same time reliably fix it, preventing yourself from accidents.
You can see how to start a chainsaw and visually study the startup actions below. A specialist of the Stihl company, talks about how to work the tool correctly, and how to start it on the example of the Stihl MS 211 chainsaw is very informative and contains reliable information from the manufacturer.
Method for starting a hot engine and an engine equipped with a decompression system.
A hot engine does not need to enrich the fuel mixture with air, so you can start the saw without closing the air damper. The ignition is simply turned on and the starter is moved, after which a serviceable chainsaw should start.
Large displacement engines have significant compression that makes cranking extremely difficult. To reduce the effort required to start a saw of large volume and power, manufacturers use special decompression valves, when pressed, the compression is noticeably reduced and the engine turns more easily.
Valves can be of different types, so read the instructions for the tool in advance.
Thus, before any kind of starting, be it hot or cold, it is necessary to press this valve, designed to reduce the resistance, and thereby increase the life of the starting device.
Articles can summarize the key points of starting a chainsaw. First, you need to start with maximum safety. Second, any deviations from the startup algorithm are not allowed. And finally, you can’t start a chainsaw without a starter! Consider the information from the article and use your tool correctly.
General rules for using a chainsaw
The basic rules for operating the tool are the same for all brands. Stihl 180, Echo, Ural, and they are as follows:
- Hold the saw with two hands, grasping the handle with all fingers.
- The employee should not be directly behind the chainsaw, but to the side of it.
- Use the top or bottom edge of the tool to cut material.
- If you need to move to another location, for safety reasons, turn off the engine.
- You need to start sawing with that part of the bar that is located closer to the body.
- The employee must wear special clothing, boots with protective inserts and use personal protective equipment. glasses, durable gloves, a helmet.
How to start a new chainsaw?
Before starting a new chainsaw, you should clean it of the preservative, check the equipment, the reliability of the fasteners tightening, and the chain tension. Before intensive use, the tool must be run in. This should be done not at idle speed, but under light load, which will avoid rapid engine wear.
The tool is started using a starter, which in many models is connected to an inertial or spring-type light start system. With the correct adjustment of this mechanism, the force applied to start the motor is almost halved.
To extend the working life of the starting device, you should work out a smooth movement, in which high loads will not be created.
The first launch is performed in this order:
- The equipment should be filled with fuels and lubricants, placed on a flat, stable surface, unlocked the protection mechanism against accidental start and emergency stop.
- To start the engine, the throttle lever is set to the low speed position. With a smooth movement, you need to pull the starter, with the other hand, hold the tool. As a rule, a new saw in a technically sound condition starts up from the third to fourth time.
- When idling, the crank mechanism operates in conditions of oil shortage, so this time should be minimized.
At the factory, the carburetor is adjusted according to average parameters. Therefore, they are brought to optimal values already during the operation of the chainsaw. The motor must work without interruptions, not emit extraneous noise. For a full lapping of all systems and parts, moderate loads are used.
How to start a chainsaw correctly?
Chainsaws can be started in different ways, depending on the model and technical condition. Today we will look at how to start a chainsaw without a starter, what to do if the tool has not been used for a long time. In any case, before using the tool, you should carefully study the instructions, follow the operating and safety rules.
How to start the tool after a long period of inactivity?
After long-term storage, you may encounter some problems when starting the motor. The first thing to do is to make sure that the equipment is in good working order, there is a spark, fuel, and there is no wire break.
If the saw is in good working order, it is being launched:
- Turn the fuel cock to open;
- Press the enrichment button, which will fill the carburetor with fuel;
- Turn the lever and completely close the air damper;
- Start the engine with the starter. press the throttle grip, pull the cord smoothly, without sudden jerks, turning the crankshaft.
- After a flash of the combustible mixture, open the choke and continue starting the engine.
Step-by-step instructions on how to start a chainsaw in the summer or winter season
Not all beginners, having picked up this tool for the first time, know how to start a chainsaw. Especially in special situations, for example, in the winter season. In addition, even the best quality tool must be handled correctly to avoid damage or accident. Despite the wide selection of different models, they all start about the same.
How to start in winter
It is much more difficult to start the chain saw in the cold in winter. If, after the initial flashes, you open the air damper, then due to poor evaporation of gasoline, the engine may not start or immediately stall. Then you have to start and warm it up on the suction.
Therefore, in winter, the tool or at least the fuel mixture should be stored in a warm room. This is especially true for a chain saw with a tire and chain already fitted. If left outside, the low temperature will compress the chain and may damage the tool during start-up.
At the same time, in winter, the fence is made above the exhaust manifold or cylinder, which prevents the carburetor and air filter from freezing even in the coldest weather.
How to start a chainsaw correctly
Before starting the tool, carefully study the work area and safety rules. The algorithm for starting a chainsaw consists of the following steps:
- Press the chain brake forward and activate it. Remove tire protection from the tire.
- If there is a decompression valve or fuel pump, then press it.
- Set the combination lever to the cold start (throttling) position.
- Place the saw on a level surface so that its cutting edge does not touch the ground.
- Grasp the handle with your left hand and the starter rope with your right. Place the toe of the right foot on the rear handle to stabilize the instrument.
- Pull the starting cable gently until there is a distinct resistance, and then pull it sharply several times so that the motor starts up for a short time.
- Open the throttle by moving the combination lever one locking position to half throttle.
- Pull the cable again and press the throttle lever at the moment the engine starts. This moves the combination lever to the normal idle position.
- Raise the chain saw carefully without touching the engine control lever.
- Pull the chain brake handle towards you until a distinct click, which signals the unlocked chain and its ability to move along the bar.
There is also the option to start the chainsaw by holding it between your knees. In this case, regardless of the chosen method of starting the chain saw, according to the instructions, the chain brake must always be on.
Sometimes a gasoline saw that does not have a manual priming pump will not start after a long period of inactivity. In this case, it is necessary to remove the air filter cover, remove the filter element and, using a syringe, pour a few drops of gasoline directly into the carburetor. After about 30 seconds, vapors form and you can pull the starter handle. As a last resort, you can use a more radical method. remove the spark plug, pour a few drops of gasoline inside the cylinder and screw the plug back.
How to start without a starter
Without a starter, starting a chainsaw will not work. the manufacturers have not provided an alternative way to start this tool. And even if it can be started in any way, there will be a problem with the cooling system and the saw will not work. The fact is that a volute is installed in the starter, which ensures the movement of cold air from the flywheel impeller to the cylinder. If it is not there, then the engine will overheat and, most likely, jam.