How to start a STIHL 180 chainsaw correctly
Starting your STIHL chainsaw
No running-in is required when working with a new STIHL chainsaw! The fuel mixture is prepared in a ratio of 1:50, which means that for 1 liter of AI-92 gasoline you need 20 ml of STIHL oil.
Step 1 of 15: activate the chain brake
Apply the chain brake before starting the chainsaw. To do this, push the chain brake forward (see illustration).
Before starting the chainsaw, be sure to remove the tire guard.
Step 3 of 15: pump gasoline with the fuel pump (if equipped)
If your chainsaw is equipped with a decompression valve, press it in. This will make it easier to start the chainsaw.
Step 4 of 15: Pump up the gasoline with the fuel pump (if equipped)
If the chainsaw is equipped with a fuel pump, pump gasoline into the carburetor. This will make it easier to start the engine.
Step 5 of 15: Move the Combi Lever to the Cold Start Position
Set the combination lever to the cold start position. To do this, first activate the throttle lever lock and the throttle lever itself, and then move the combination lever all the way down.
Step 6 of 15: Place the chainsaw on a level surface
Place the chainsaw on a level surface before starting. The cutting headset must not come into contact with the surface, you expose yourself to unnecessary danger, and the headset may become dull when starting.
Step 7 of 15: Grip the chainsaw with both hands
Grasp the chainsaw on the ground with both hands. In this case, the left hand should be located on the handle, and the right. on the starter rope. Place the toes of your right foot on the back handle. this will ensure the stability of the chainsaw.
Step 8 of 15: pull the starter rope
Pull the starter rope slowly with your right hand until you feel resistance. After that, pull the cable firmly several times so that the engine starts (if possible, pull it up so that the cable does not rub against the fan housing).
Step 9 of 15: The engine starts. move the lever to the half-throttle position
The engine is only started for a short time and then switched off again. Open the throttle by moving the combination lever up one latching position (half-throttle).
Step 10 of 15: reactivate the starter rope or pull
Pull the starter rope again so that the engine starts again.
Step 11 of 15: press the throttle lever with your index finger
After the engine starts and starts running, briefly press the throttle lever with your index finger. This will move the combination lever to the idle position.
Step 12 of 15: Lift the chainsaw off the ground
Slowly lift the chainsaw off the ground, being careful not to touch the throttle lever.
Step 13 of 15: deactivate the chain brake
Then release the chain brake by pulling the chain brake handle towards you with your left hand. In this case, the left hand should remain on the handle. A distinctive click means the chain is unlocked and can move along the bus.
Step 14 of 15: checking the chain lubrication system
Before starting work, be sure to check the chain lubrication system. To do this, place the saw on a light background (for example, a tree stump or a piece of paper spread out on the ground) and turn on full throttle. If oil stains appear on a light background, it means that the chain lubrication system is functioning normally and you can start working.
the chainsaw is ready for use. For safety precautions when working with a chainsaw, see the owner’s manual.
How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
Before starting a STIHL chainsaw with a decompression valve, you must turn it on. It should be noted that there is no decompression valve on the STIHL 250 saw.
After the first flash has passed, the valve will be set to normal operation, respectively, after the engine control lever is set to the open air damper position and starting continues, the decompression valve must be pressed again.
The valve operation is schematically shown in the figure below.
In fact, the valve does not make starting faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, because for during launch, a person will have to apply significantly less effort.
A saw with a decompression valve, whether the engine is cold or hot, must be started using the valve to relieve the cranking force of the engine. This will significantly increase the service life of the starter and reduce the number of torn laces, since it is installed on chainsaws with a large cylinder volume and, accordingly, compression.
What happens at the moment of priming fuel with primer, and how it helps to start the saw more efficiently?
At the moment of starting the saw without a primer, several movements of the starter are carried out only so that the fuel pump, under the action of an impulse from the saw crankcase, pumped fuel into the carburetor.
A pump installed in the fuel line allows you to manually pump gasoline into the carburetor without unnecessary movements with the starter. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much faster.
Many owners of gasoline-powered tools mistakenly believe that a hand pump can overly pump fuel into the carburetor and, for this reason, flood the candle. This is fundamentally wrong, since the system is capable of circulating around. Excess gasoline from the carburetor will be directed, through a dedicated hose, back to the tank.
There is no need to use a primer on a hot chainsaw, since there is enough fuel in the carburetor to start.
So You Own A STIHL MS 180 Chainsaw
How to start a STIHL chainsaw
All STIHL chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, the cold start of which has a similar algorithm. But there are models on which additional equipment is installed, allowing you to start the saw without excessive efforts. For this reason, the algorithm for starting them may differ slightly.
Let’s take a look at how to start a regular saw and how the process differs from starting a modified model.
We start STIHL MS 211 C-BE
The fuel supply system in the STIHL MS 211 C-BE chainsaw is additionally equipped with a manual fuel pump, which makes it easier to start the chainsaw on a cold.
The instruction for starting this model of the STIHL chainsaw contains one additional point, which is that before starting the chainsaw on a cold one, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburetor using a pump. Further, the instruction does not differ from starting STIHL 180 and follows the same algorithm.
Getting Started STIHL MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the STIHL 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
I can’t start the chainsaw after a long period of inactivity. Such Комментарии и мнения владельцев can be found on the forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s figure out how to start a chainsaw after a long period of inactivity.
The fact is that a successful start after downtime must be taken care of in advance and the saw should be properly prepared for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, before storing, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the engine and burn off the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick together. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after long-term storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw six months after idle time, if just before starting, through the spark plug hole, add 1. 2 ml of the fuel mixture to the cylinder. This can be done with a syringe.
We start STIHL 180
In order to start the STIHL 180 chainsaw on a cold one, you must follow the algorithm specified by the manufacturer in the instructions for the STIHL 180 chainsaw, namely:
- Turn on the ignition and set the engine control lever to the lowest position (in this position, the air damper of the STIHL 180 carburetor blocks air from the air filter, and the throttle valve is fully open, thus the fuel mixture is enriched);
- Pull the starter handle several times until the first flash passes (the flash signals that the fuel mixture has entered the cylinder and the saw is ready to start);
- Set the control lever one position up from fully lowered (in this position, the air damper opens, and the throttle valve remains in the same position as before);
- Pull starter and start. The saw will start and run at higher rpm due to the throttle valve being as open as possible. To set the damper to idle mode, you must press the gas trigger and immediately release, the tool immediately normalizes the speed.
The STIHL MS 180 chainsaw, as standard, is not equipped with any additional devices that can facilitate starting.
Below you can see how to start STIHL 180. The video reflects in detail all the main points, and the author’s Комментарии и мнения владельцев allow you to understand the whole process to the smallest detail.
Starting a STIHL chainsaw almost always follows the same algorithm, except for those cases when a decompression valve and a fuel primer are additionally installed on the chainsaw. These gadgets are designed to facilitate the start-up process and do an excellent job of their functions.
How to Start a Stihl MS 180 Petrol Chainsaw Safely
How to start a STIHL saw?
In summer cottages, in private houses, when working in gardens and backyard territories, it is often necessary to use special equipment, which requires the use of appropriate knowledge and skills on the part of the user.
STIHL chainsaws are motor-driven garden tools that have a wide range of applications: logging, cutting old trees, seasonal pruning, etc. The equipment of the German company STIHL is known for such technical characteristics as:
- compactness and high power;
- special protection and safety system;
- quality parts and assembly.
The unit belongs to traumatic types of equipment. Before using it, you must read the user manual, follow all safety measures. An important and responsible step is the correct start of the device.
Why the STIHL saw won’t start?
The principle of starting the unit consists of a chain of interconnected processes. If one link of the chain fails or is missing, then this not only adversely affects the operation of the equipment, but can also lead to its breakdown or to problems starting the device.
The operation of the tool involves the following steps:
- Compressed fuel mixture supply. It is needed for the engine to work;
- Spark supply. Required for ignition;
- Start-up and operation of the device. as a consequence of the previous processes.
If, despite the order of actions described in the instructions, the unit does not start, then one of the processes has been disrupted in one of the chain links.
How to start a STIHL saw
Before using the device, carefully read the manufacturer’s instructions. Different saw models differ in design, technical and functional capabilities and, accordingly, have their own inclusion features.
Let’s answer the question: how to start a STIHL saw, using the example of the general algorithm for working with the unit:
- Refueling. it is advisable to fill the fuel mixture immediately before starting work. Attention should be paid to the quality and proportions of fuels and lubricants, since the performance of the equipment and its further condition depend on this.
- Press the chain brake forward to activate it.
- Place the machine on a firm surface. The cutting edge must not come into contact with the ground, as this can blunt the bar, damage the tool and endanger the health and safety of the sawer. Do not start the device on a surface where there are traces of gasoline or oil. this can lead to a fire.
- Remove tire protection.
- Press the decompressor. this step is relevant for those models of equipment that are equipped with a decompression valve.
- Press the fuel pump. relevant for equipment that has it.
- Move the combination lever to the cold start position.
- Pull the starter cord slowly. And then repeat the action until the characteristic sound of the engine start, which should immediately turn off.
- Close the choke. move the position control lever up.
- Pull the starter rope again until the mechanism starts.
- Press the throttle lever with your index finger. At this point, the combination lever will move to the normal idle position.
- Raise the instrument slowly by the upper holder.
- Pull the chain brake handle towards you.
When the chainsaw starts, you need to give it a minute to warm up, after which you can start working.
When working with an already warmed-up engine, you need to put the throttle adjustment lever in the working position, and start the unit in the usual way.
To stop the engine of the chainsaw, lift the throttle adjustment lever up.
The reasons why the chainsaw may not start:
- Malfunctions associated with the fuel system: poor fuel quality, lack of fuel mixture supply.
- Clogged main filter elements. A dirty gas filter prevents the supply of fuel to the carburetor of the internal combustion engine, which immediately negatively affects the operation of the equipment. A clogged air filter, in turn, cannot provide a full air supply, without which the engine cannot be started.
- No spark. The reason for this may be a poor quality or damaged spark plug.
- Overheating of the engine.
Monitor the quality and correct ratio of the proportions of the fuel mixture. The presence of water or a large amount of oil in the fuel can cause malfunction or problems with starting garden tools. The optimal shelf life of the petrol-oil mixture is 1 month, then coking resinous deposits form in it, which negatively affect the engine performance.
If the saw does not work when you first try to start, you can first stop it for 10 minutes, then try to start the unit again. If a second attempt does not work, you will have to look under the body of the garden machine: check the condition of the filters, inspect the carburetor and spark plug. Dirty filters should be tried to be cleaned, washed in soapy water, then dried. Running filters will have to be replaced. If the spark plug is wet and does not spark, you can try to dry it, but it is advisable to replace it as well.
How to start a STIHL MS 180 saw
The STIHL 180 has a conventional starting system, as no additional mechanisms are installed on the model. Before starting operation, fill the fuel tank with a petrol-oil mixture and fill the oil tank with oil. As a reminder, the manufacturer recommends using only certified STIHL oils for its equipment.
- Switch on the ignition, set the control lever to the lowest level.
- Place the tool on a firm surface.
- Pull the starter handle until fuel enters the cylinder. The characteristic sound of the first flash indicates that the fuel has reached the cylinder and the device is ready to start.
- Move the control lever up one division.
- Pull the starter rope again. The mechanism will start to work at increased speeds, due to the maximum open throttle.
- Squeeze and release the throttle trigger to set the throttle to idle, which normalizes the speed of the cutting part.
If after the above steps it was not possible to start the device, then you need to check the inventory for faults.
Why the STIHL 180 saw won’t start
The main reasons that can lead to difficulties in launching the tool:
- Lack of spark is a common problem for all types of chainsaws. Without a spark, the process of ignition and ignition is impossible. The first thing to do if you cannot start your STIHL 180 saw is to check the spark plugs. Plugged plugs indicate a lubricating oil leak. During prolonged operation, the connection between the oil tank hose and the pump loses its tightness, which, in turn, can cause leaks. To fix the problem, you need to restore the tightness at the joint, dry or replace the candle. Spark plugs have a limited service life, over time they deplete their resource, they have to be replaced.
- Blockages in the fuel supply system. occur during use when aero and benzofilters are dirty. To check the condition of the filter, what you need to get out and try to blow it. If the air does not pass, then there is a blockage that prevents the fuel supply. The solution is to clean the filters. In the same way, you can check if the fuel hose is dirty. You can clean the hose with a wire.
- A ruptured or cracked fuel pump membrane is another reason that prevents the flow of fuel. Replacing the membrane will solve the problem.
- Equipment malfunction is also indicated by irregularities and chips on the cylinder, which usually cause the unit to fade.
- Also, do not forget to periodically lubricate the device chain.
If the visual inspection did not help to find the cause of the STIHL saw malfunction, then you need to contact the specialists of the service workshops.
Correct use, timely prevention and periodic maintenance of STIHL garden equipment will prolong the service life of the equipment and ensure the safety of the user.
How to start a chainsaw correctly?
Chainsaws can be started in different ways, depending on the model and technical condition. Today we will look at how to start a chainsaw without a starter, what to do if the tool has not been used for a long time. In any case, before using the tool, you should carefully study the instructions, follow the operation and safety rules.
General rules for using a chainsaw
The basic rules for operating the tool are the same for all brands. STIHL 180, Echo, Ural, and they are as follows:
- The saw must be held with both hands, grasping the handle with all fingers.
- The employee should not be directly behind the chainsaw, but to the side of it.
- Use the top or bottom edge of the tool to cut the material.
- If you need to move to another location, for safety reasons, turn off the engine.
- You need to start sawing with that part of the bar that is located closer to the body.
- The employee must wear special clothing, boots with protective inserts and use personal protective equipment. glasses, durable gloves, a helmet.
How to start a new chainsaw?
Before starting a new chainsaw, clean it of the preservative, check the complete set, the reliability of the fasteners tightening, and the chain tension. Before intensive use, the tool must be run in. This should be done not at idle, but at low load, which will avoid rapid engine wear.
The start of the tool is carried out using a starter, which in many models is connected to an inertial or spring-type light start system. With correct adjustment of this mechanism, the force applied to start the motor is almost halved.
To extend the operating life of the starting device, you should work out a smooth movement, in which high loads will not be created.
The first launch is performed in this order:
- The equipment should be filled with fuel and lubricants, placed on a flat, stable surface, unlocked the protection mechanism against accidental start-up and emergency stop.
- To start the engine, the throttle lever is set to the low rpm position. With a smooth movement, you need to pull the starter, with the other hand. hold the tool. As a rule, a new saw in a technically sound condition starts up from the third. fourth time.
- At idle, the crank mechanism operates under conditions of oil shortage, so this time should be minimized.
At the factory, the carburetor is adjusted according to average parameters. Therefore, they are brought to optimal values already during the operation of the chainsaw. The motor must work without interruptions, not emit extraneous noise. For a full lapping of all systems and parts, moderate loads are used.
How to start the tool after a long period of inactivity?
After long-term storage, you may encounter some problems when starting the motor. The first thing to do is to make sure that the equipment is in good working order, there is a spark, fuel, and there are no wire breaks.
If the saw is in good working order, its launch is in progress:
- turn the fuel cock to open;
- press the enrichment button, which will fill the carburetor with fuel;
- turn the lever and completely close the air damper;
- start the engine with the starter. press the throttle handle, smoothly, without sudden jerks, pull the cord, turning the crankshaft.
- after a flash of a combustible mixture, open the air damper and continue starting the engine.