How To Start A Stihl Chainsaw Ms 180
The passport of the Stihl MC-180 gasoline saw is an instruction manual, which contains complete information about the tool itself. Before starting operation, you must carefully study the manual to avoid annoying malfunctions.
We offer you to get acquainted with the instructions for the chainsaw.
In addition to the basic modification MS-180, there are improved models:
- Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 C-BE 14.
- Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 16 Picco.
Let’s consider each modification separately.
Chainsaw “Stihl” MS-180. Technical characteristics and features of use
Before operation is checked:
- Chain condition, sharpening;
- Chain tension;
- Tightening fasteners;
- Filling the fuel and oil tanks;
- Chain lubrication;
- Idling, etc.
After sawing work, the following is performed:
- Chainsaw cleaning;
- The chain tension is loosened (required);
- Sharpening the chain (if necessary);
- Tire condition, wear;
- Filter maintenance (as needed).
Newly found owners often get lost and are looking for materials on how to properly disassemble (assemble) the Stihl 180 chainsaw. Where it is shown how the disassembly and assembly of the Stihl 180 chainsaw is performed:
STIHL chainsaw standard equipment
The basic package for the Stihl MS-180 chainsaw includes:
- Universal screwdriver wrench;
- Tire 14 inches (35 cm);
- Chain with 50 links;
- Tire cover;
Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 C-BE 14
This “Stihl” chainsaw is more improved by the manufacturer, its weight is 4.2 kg. The two-stroke power plant runs on a fuel mixture of gasoline and engine oil and has a capacity of 2 liters. C. Air cooling, the ErgoStart system allows you to easily start the engine by pulling the recoil starter handle. QuickStop system instantly stops chain movement when pressing the front stop.
A built-in compensator provides constant fuel consumption and the cleanest exhaust possible. The tire is small. 14 inches, with the following dimensions: 1.3 mm, 3/8 “, 50 links. The bus is equipped with a Picco Duro chain of its own production, which dulls four times slower, is distinguished by its super strength and reliability.
The chain tensioning system has been improved without the use of special tools. The Ematic system allows the chain to be lubricated where it is needed, resulting in 50% savings in lubricants. Anti-vibration system protects the operator from unnecessary vibration.
|Cylinder displacement||31.8 cm³|
|Bus length||35 cm|
|STIHL Oilomatic chain pitch / type||3/8 ″ P / Picco Micro 3|
|Power||1.5 / 2 kW / HP.|
|Weight 1)||4.2 kg|
|Specific gravity||2.8 kg / kW|
|Sound pressure level 2)||98 dB (A)|
|Sound power level 2)||110 dB (A)|
|Vibration level left / right 3)||7.6 / 7.4 m / s²|
|Chain pitch||3/8 “P|
|Volume of the tank||0.25 l|
|Idling speed||2.800 rpm.|
|Number of revolutions Pmax 4)||9.000 rpm|
|K-factor according to Directive 2006/42 / EC||2|
Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 16 Picco
Chainsaw weight 3.9 kg. Gasoline engine, single-cylinder carburetor with a capacity of 2 liters. C. There is also an easy start system, chain blocking, anti-vibration. STIHL Oilomatic PICCO MINI 61 PMN chain, automatic lubrication system works. Tire length. 40 cm. The carburetor has a built-in compensator, which is responsible for fuel consumption, constant power of the chainsaw and the quality of exhaust gases.
|STIHL Oilomatic chain||Picco Micro 3 (PM3)|
|Weight kg 1)||3.9|
|Specific weight kg / kW||2.6|
|Sound pressure level dB (A) 2)||97|
|Sound power level dB (A) 2)||110|
|Vibration level left / right m / s? 3)||6.6 / 7.8|
|Chain pitch||3/8 “P|
|Oil tank volume cm||145|
Chainsaw “Stihl” MS-180 consists of: gasoline engine, carburetor, casing, starter, flywheel, clutch, decompression valve, oil pump, fuel pump and tank, spark plug, saw chain, tire, sprocket, brake, air filter, shift lever. dust collector, muffler, retainers, tension wheel, toothed stop, adjustment screw, handle.
Malfunctions and repairs
Stihl 180 chainsaw malfunctions and their elimination is another problem that worries tool owners.
Why the Stihl 180 chainsaw won’t start:
- There is no fuel mixture;
- No contact on the spark plug;
- Broken high-voltage wire;
- The fuel pump does not pump;
- Clogged fuel lines;
- Candle problems;
- Ignition is not adjusted;
- Fills the candle.
Why the “Stihl” 180 chainsaw does not develop the required number of revolutions:
- Spark plug carbon deposits;
- The plug is worn out, needs to be replaced (after 100 hours of operation);
- Carburetor needs cleaning.
Chainsaw “Stihl” 180 stalls at idle speed:
- The carburetor is not adjusted;
- Clogged fuel or air filter.
We suggest looking at how the carburetor of the Stihl MC 180 chainsaw is adjusted with your own hands:
Some tool owners use the Stihl MC 180 chainsaw together with an angle grinder attachment, this allows you to build a home sawmill and perform rip cuts.
The attachment-angle grinder for the Stihl MS-180 chainsaw is shown:
But even without this attachment, some craftsmen have found a way to perform ripping with a conventional bar and saw chain. We suggest looking at a homemade sawmill from scrap materials:
What to do if pours a candle on a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
If the tool is used frequently, one of its fuel lines may be cut off, causing fuel to spill onto the spark plug and other saw parts.
If the fuel pipe breaks or a hole forms in it, the owner of the tool will need to remove the damaged hose and replace it with a new one. In this case, the junction of the new hose with the factory fitting must be carefully treated with a sealant.
The proportion of oil and gasoline for the Stihl 180 chainsaw
To exclude premature breakdown of the carburetor, the factory cylinder-piston group and other important components of the garden tool, it is important to observe the ratio of gasoline and used engine oil.
First of all, you need to study the proprietary manual. The operating instructions will indicate the correct fuel ratio, the correct gasoline and the correct chain oil for the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
According to the manual of the German Stihl saw, to refuel it, you need to use only gasoline of a brand not lower than AI-92, as well as branded oil for 2-stroke Stihl engines. The ratio of fuel and oil should be 1:40, that is, 25 ml should be added to 1 liter of gasoline. Stir the fuel mixture thoroughly by shaking the container several times. After that, the contents of the vessel will need to be poured into the fuel tank.
Why not start the Stihl 180 chainsaw?
The reason for the lack of start of the Stihl model, in this case, is to fill the spark plug.
To fix the problem, you will need to disassemble the upper part of the tool and unscrew the plug. If a thick layer of carbon has formed on the candle, it will need to be cleaned and dried. The clean candle can then be screwed back in.
Running in the Stihl MC 180 chainsaw
After preliminary preparation of the required mixture of fuel and used engine oil, you need to proceed to the scheduled running-in of the new Stihl tool. This procedure plays a huge role, since during its execution all the working mechanisms of the tool fall into place and rub against each other closely.
To break in a Stihl 180 chainsaw, you need to take the following steps one by one:
- First you need to add fuel mixture and a suitable chain oil. For this, separate tanks are provided in the saw device;
- Next, you need to turn off the factory inertial brake. this will prevent the plastic case from melting in the clutch area;
- After that, you need to turn on the chainsaw and let it run at idle for about 15–20 minutes;
- Then you need to move on to sawing thin branches. Gradually, the thickness of the branches needs to be increased.
When running in a Stihl MS 180 saw that is in use, it is important not to run the engine as high as possible, as this can lead to burrs on the cylinder surface. Also, during the running process, it is not recommended to use motor-drills, bark beetles and other common chainsaw attachments.
Chainsaws Stihl (Stihl) 180
Among the entire range of chainsaws of the German brand Stihl, the model MS 180 is in the highest demand among gardeners. The advantages of this reliable household tool include reliability, increased endurance and an impressive working life. Chainsaw Stihl 180 stands out for its ease of maintenance and high serviceability, which makes it possible to confidently use it for any novice gardener.
How to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
It is necessary to start the Stihl chainsaw in the following sequence:
- First of all, you need to turn on the inertial brake by pulling its plastic lever away from you;
- Next, you need to carefully remove the protective plastic cover;
- Then you will need to press the standard fuel pump button. Thanks to this, the fuel will enter the cylinder and it will be easier for the starter to start the engine;
- Next, the combination switch must be set to the permissible position marked “Cold start”;
- Then grab the Stihl saw with both hands and slowly pull the plastic lever of the factory built-in starter until resistance is felt. Immediately after this, it is necessary to quickly pull the starter lever towards you several times until the standard engine starts and stalls;
- At the end, pull the inertial brake lever towards you, and start working with the tool.
By adhering to this procedure, the owner of the Stihl MS 180 model will be able to protect its main working parts from increased wear and significantly extend their service life.
Stihl 180 chainsaw device
The Stihl MS 180 household chainsaw is equipped with a high-quality branded internal combustion engine, from the manufacturing plant configured to work in difficult weather conditions. The single-cylinder engine of the model successfully withstands long-term high loads without increasing the amount of fuel consumed, and the forged piston group does not lend itself to corrosion and burr formation. Engine cooling. improved by air intake. For more convenient operation, the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped with a factory vibration suppression system, and to reduce noise during operation. a proprietary silencer.
The tool clutch includes a proprietary drive sprocket. It can withstand prolonged loads and does not slip with a sharp increase in speed. This increases the efficiency of the Stihl chain saw when cutting dry, thick logs.
To facilitate starting a cold factory engine, the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is equipped with a decompression valve designed for manual pumping of fuel.
The working bodies of the garden tool are a reinforced metal tire on which the chain is stretched. For more accurate adjustment of the saw headset tension, the Stihl model has a proprietary frontal device. Protecting the operator from a broken chain are guards for the front and rear hand, as well as a chain catcher. To lubricate the saw headset, the model device has a proprietary Ematic lubrication system with a long-life oil pump. Additionally, the manufacturer has included a spiked bumper in the garden tool package for more accurate cutting of logs.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw stands out for its ease of use, which was achieved thanks to the manufacturer’s thoughtful arrangement of controls. The engine start button, throttle lever, factory plastic starter handle, and OEM choke position switch are located at the rear of the model. Built-in inertia brake lever mounted at the front.
Stihl 180 saw stalls at idle speed. how to solve the problem?
In this case, the cause of the sudden breakdown must be sought in the ignition system of the tool. Often, with mechanical shock, the gap between the flywheel and the factory ignition coil is violated, which leads to breakdown of the entire system. In this case, you will need to disassemble the tool and check the distance between the elements.
To adjust the clearance, loosen the flywheel mount. After that, between the flywheel and the ignition coil, you will need to insert a template and start screwing the bolts back in. As soon as the flywheel comes into contact with the template, screwing in the bolts must be stopped.
Chainsaws Stihl 180. malfunctions and repairs
The simplicity of the Stihl MS 180 household chainsaw device allows its owner to eliminate most of the tool malfunctions with his own hands. To successfully repair a model, first of all, you need to determine the causes of the breakdown. The repair algorithm in each case is different and depends on the type of malfunction.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw (Stihl MS-180). the first start and start without a starter
Chainsaws differ slightly in design features, but in most cases the assembly principle is carried out according to two standard schemes. For many devices, the manual contains information on the need to activate the emergency brake before starting the activation procedure. You should first master the device of the plant and study the main ways of correcting breakdowns, then a person will have the opportunity to fully operate the device. The article will talk about how to start a chainsaw.
Briefly about the launcher
The chainsaw is powered by an internal combustion engine. This is a simple device, the design of which has no special bells and whistles. It usually works properly even under difficult conditions.
Operation is provided by structural elements:
- Carburetor engine (see Carburetor Adjustment).
- Centrifugal clutches.
- Ignition system, in almost all devices contactless.
- Carburetor that adds air to the fuel mixture.
- Fuel system. Its standard device consists of a hose, filter and gas tank, but sometimes it has additional parts.
- Chain (see Chain Oil).
- Chain tensioner and brake (see How to sharpen a chain).
If you cannot turn on and start the chainsaw
When all actions are performed in accordance with the established order, and the chainsaw does not start work, then there are malfunctions in its mechanism. Usually the cause of this phenomenon is common and easily fixable problems, such as lack of spark, shut off fuel supply, clogged filter that allows air to pass through. In order to start the chainsaw, you will have to find the cause and take the necessary steps to eliminate it.
Only correct actions should be taken. If a person does not know what to do, there is no need to commit rash acts. It is forbidden to disassemble the device, you need to be especially careful with the carburetor. You cannot unscrew any screws on it, since if its device has become the cause of a breakdown, it means that it is impossible to repair the chainsaw without professional equipment.
The actions that need to be performed in a strict order are listed. Only during the transition from one measure to another can the exact cause of the malfunction be determined and quickly eliminated without damaging other parts. Algorithm of actions performed in case of failures in the establishment of a chainsaw:
- At first it is enough to let the device rest. This is especially true for saws that have recently been in operation. It is enough to wait no more than 10 minutes, since during this time the mechanism will cool down and in the absence of other breakdowns it will easily start. Sometimes it happens that a candle is poured near the appliance during the establishment. If this unpleasant property has occurred, then it is enough to wait for a very short pause and repeat all the steps again to start the engine.
- The housing cover is unscrewed from the device to remove the air filter. The process of starting up the device is performed if it is absent. Sometimes the reason for the lack of ignition is that the filter is dirty. If ignition occurred without it, then the reason lies precisely in this. To eliminate these troubles, it is enough to wash the filter under running, warm water and soap, then dry it. You can also replace the old element with a new one.
- The spark plug is removed. The spark is checked. If it does not appear, you need to replace the old candle with a new one. Usually this helps and a spark appears, however in some cases there is no spark even when changing the mixture.
When a spark appears when it is not possible to make the device work, you must continue to perform the steps described below.
2 diagram of a standard mechanism. how to start the saw correctly
- The ignition is switched on. To do this, move the toggle switch to the desired location or move the switch.
- The swap primer usually has to be pressed more than two times. Gasoline is poured into it, after which you will have to press the device more than three times. Sometimes the chainsaw is not equipped with a primer, then you can skip this step.
For more details, look at:
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so everything is also safe and more comfortable to turn on the mechanism without the use of braking equipment.
1 diagram of a standard mechanism
- Before starting the benzoil, it is necessary to move the flap, which acts as an adjustment lever, downwards, in comparison with the optimal position. First, you need to press the button responsible for the gas supply. Only if this condition is met is it possible to move the damper normally to the extreme stop from below. It is necessary to simultaneously move the damper and hold down the gas button. The gas is set to the standard position and the choke closes the carburetor, preparing the unit for correct operation.
Our other article will also help you make your choice in favor of a particular brand of chainsaw.
Russian-made chainsaws. Low price with high enough quality.
The chainsaw should be started following the standard instructions. If there are any problems with the operation of the device, for example, the chainsaw does not start, you need to quickly fix them or take the device for repair, and in order to identify malfunctions and correct operation with the chainsaw, you need to know the features of its design. To learn how to quickly turn on the device and fix breakdowns, it is enough to study the basic range of necessary actions and follow it.
Read about how to properly run your chainsaw before starting it for the first time.
Chainsaw Husqvarna-137: DIY Husqvarna-137 starter repair manual, valve malfunction, no spark
Stihl-180 does not start: reasons and remedies, why the chainsaw floods the candle, gasoline does not flow to the cold
How to adjust the carburetor on a Husqvarna chainsaw (Husqvarna). tuning and adjusting the saw
Makita (Makita) 4610 chainsaw DCS461 and saw 4610. user manual