How to start a STIHL mc 180 chain saw
Adjusting the carburetor on a STIHL chain saw
Carburettor adjustment can be carried out if the cutter stops when throttle is depressed. Before unclogging the carburettor, change the spark plug and clean the filter. Regulate the idle speed.
Setting up the carburetor on your STIHL chain saw
- First switch off the machine and turn the two screws L and H as far as they go.
- The same blades are turned out one turn.
- Start the tool, warm up the engine.
- Pull the throttle trigger and turn the H screw until the rpm stabilizes.
- Turn the screw LA until the chain starts to run, then turn it a quarter turn in the opposite direction.
After this procedure the STIHL chain saw should be running. If there are still problems, I need to work on the LA screw and turn it a bit more.
How to start a STIHL 180 Benzosaw Video
The STIHL mc 180 chain saw. a tool designed to cut wood crosswise. The equipment is at the level of household appliances. The model differs from the professional model in the material of the tools and is designed for occasional use, not more than 40 minutes per cycle.
Saw types and specifications
Demand among hobbyists STIHL mc 180 chain saw is justified by the convenience and reliability. Base model weighs only 3, 9 kg. The 35 cm long saw blade is ideal for cutting logs and toppling up to 30 cm diameter trees. Two-stroke motor power of 2 liters. с., that enables you to do all household chores connected with cross-cutting and even firewood of any tree species. The fuel tank capacity is only 0.25 liter, but it allows you to work without stopping for 45-55 minutes.
It is necessary to use for refueling a mixture consisting of recommended or transmission oil with unleaded gasoline AI-92 and AI-95. Ratio. 25 ml additive per liter of petrol.
STIHL 180 chain saw chain is a continuous length chain with 50 links. Other features:
Operating mechanism, saw head, includes guide bar, sprocket and automatic lubrication system.
The chain tensioning system is located on the side, which is comfortable. Braking device for the chain is included.
Depending on the length of the bar and the upgrading of the STIHL MC 180 chain saw, there are a number of modifications. Saws with a 35 cm long saw blade are referred to models with a 14 in. Same engine and features, but 40 cm long guide bar, referred to as MS 180 16. The STIHL mc 180 C-VE chainsaw is a higher class tool. It also has a 40 cm long bar, easy start system and a system of sharp tensioning of the chain. Easy access to the air intake filter, a condition that extends the life of the machine.
READ Chain sharpening chain limiter
Instruction manual compliance is essential for a long service life of the machine
Every machine is delivered with an instruction manual, especially the more complex STIHL chain saw 180. Before you start the machine for the first time, you need to know how to operate it. This is all the more urgent if you already have experience with the Druzhba saw. The other assembly, the chain tensioning system, the starting and alignment of the tool requires some preparatory familiarization. There are reports on the forums that the sawyer poured a spark plug on the first start. repeatedly pulling the starter, it is necessary:
To avoid foul play, gasoline must be produced to the end, not left in the tank to “sour” for a number of days.
The manual includes a verbal definition of the markings on the housing. There is also a parts list, how to disassemble the STIHL 180 chain saw to change parts, and how to sharpen the chain.
Warnings about how to work with high risk tools, non-hazardous techniques will help to avoid injury. STIHL Original STIHL 180 chain saw video, STIHL Original 180, chainsaw overview video. When changing the chain, check if it is recommended by the manufacturer. Unsuitable assemblies can lead to malfunction, failure to meet warranty criteria.
STIHL MS 170, STIHL MS 180, STIHL MS 180 C-BE chainsaws
The STIHL MS 170, STIHL MS 180, STIHL MS 180 C BE are listed here: STIHL MS 170
STIHL MS 180 (STIHL) chainsaw Overview
MS-180 In this video we take a look at the STIHL chainsaw (STIHL). Consider its equipment and
To repair the saw with your own hands
The lightweight and handy STIHL MS 180 chain saw replaces a two-handed saw, bow saw or even a hacksaw in your home. Chains will dull over time, sprockets will wear out, and the oil system will be damaged. Some faults can be repaired yourself. As with all STIHL chain saw models, we suggest you watch a video review of the STIHL 180 chain saw. 1. Others require repairs in special service centers.
To check if there is grease in the tank, and if it is getting to the chain, you can use a clean sheet of paper. Direct the bar on a sheet of paper, it should leave a characteristic trace in the form of an oil strip.
READ How to adjust the carburetor on a Huter chainsaw
You can repair the saw yourself only if you understand the structure of the nodes and the sequence of operations for the removal and restoration or replacement of the node. STIHL 180 chain saw instruction manual is a reliable helper. This is where you can find installation methods and repair sequences:
You can also have the chain shortened and sharpened by a DIY mechanic.
If the saw chain remains dry or leaks oil during operation, you need to troubleshoot and repair the lubrication system of your STIHL STIHL 180 chain saw. Check the oil pipe and oil connection for tightness. The oil filter in the oil supply must be cleaned. If there is minor mechanical damage to the hoses, the tightness can be restored with sealant.
The carburetor makes itself felt by the difficulty in starting the saw, the started tool does not pick up speed, throttles when throttling. The cause may be a worn collar on the piston, resulting in air being sucked in when it is depressurized. To repair the carburetor is removed and get to the cuff on the gas pedal, disassembling the assembly in sequence:
- Remove the diaphragm cover by removing the screw;
- remove the retaining ring;
- Disconnect the air damper, remove the throttle;
- Pull out the gas pedal with the spring;
- Replace the tiny piston and cuff and reassemble the carburetor in the reverse order.
Trouble may be related to the ignition system. After checking the performance of the plugs and cleaning the fouling, adjust the carburetor, feed system and clean the injectors. The carburetor is a complex unit and the operation of the chassis depends on its adjustment. If you are not confident and experienced, it is better to use the services of a specialist. Often working on poor-quality gasoline, with non-recommended oil is the root cause of all the problems.
You can find information to help you do a STIHL 180 with your own hands, e. g. a video to show the STIHL STIHL disassembly sequence.
You can see how to diagnose the lubrication system here:
Features of saw chains
Chain is the saw’s operating mechanism. The saw chains are produced in a very special way:
- Cutting element is made of high-carbon steel, and application of chromium plating or pobedite coating on the cutter. The more complex the manufacturing technology, the higher the cost of the chain.
- Hinge bores are ground to reduce friction and extend service life.
- Only hardened rivets are used with special technology.
- The teeth are marked to show the wear and can be evenly sharpened.
- After the links are connected in the chain, the product is stretched to ensure dimensional stability during operation.
READ Repair of Ural Electron chainsaw with Your Hands
Intelligent automatic chain lubrication system for longer service life. New saw blades should be chosen according to the specifications in the STIHL chain saw 180 Instruction Manual.
Please note that carbide-tipped chains are 3 to 5 times more expensive than conventional chains, but are impossible to sharpen with your own hands when you are repairing a STIHL 180 chain saw. This tool is used more often by employees of the Emergencies Ministry.
For a long service-free period, it’s essential to use the oil recommended by the tool manufacturer. A special mineral compound is used, which prevents the chain from sticking. It is not permitted to use STIHL chain saw oil that is intended for use as an additive in gasoline.
The question is often asked: Can I make rip cuts with the STIHL 180? Watch this video to see what malfunctions chain saws have and what to do about them. Find out why your chain saw won’t start. Powerful way to cut wood crosswise only.
Generally speaking, the reviews on STIHL saws are good. People complain about the tool’s lack of power. Tailor your machine to the task at hand. The lightweight and affordable STIHL 180 chain saw is designed for occasional use. Special products are available for felling and chopping. It is not the right choice for home use. The machine is much heavier, so it is not suitable for cutting small boards.
The STIHL MS 180 chainsaw price differs greatly. The most inexpensive basic model of the standard configuration. Cost of the machine depends on country of manufacturer. A German or American product is more expensive than a Chinese one for well-known reasons.
How to start chain saws with a decompression valve
Before you start your STIHL chain saw with a decompression valve, you need to turn it on. I would like to point out that there is no decompression valve on the STIHL 250 saw.
After the first flash passes, the valve is set to normal operation, respectively, after the engine control lever is set to the open air damper position and the startup continues, you need to press the decompression valve again.
A schematic of how the valve works is shown in the diagram below.
In fact, the valve doesn’t make the start faster, it just makes the process easier and more comfortable, t.к. For the man will have to exert considerably less force during the start-up.
regardless of cold or hot engine, the decompression valve should be used to make the engine cranking force lighter. This will greatly increase the life of the starter and reduce the number of broken cords. к. it is installed on chain saws with big cylinder volume and correspondingly big compression.
How to start the saw after a long period of inactivity
I can’t start the chain saw after a long standstill. Such Комментарии и мнения владельцев can be found on forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s find out how to start the chain saw after a long period of non-use.
The fact that the successful start after downtime, you need to take care in advance and properly prepare the saw for storage. Before storing according to the manufacturer’s guide, drain the fuel from the tank, start the engine, and catch up with the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick. This is a simple procedure that can restart the machine successfully after a long period of storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw after half a year of non-use if, immediately before start, 1 to 2 ml of the fuel mixture is added to the cylinder through the spark plug hole. You can do this with a syringe.
Instructions for use
How to use and maintain the STIHL chain saw 180 ms?
- Assemble the saw using the tools provided and, after reassembly, run it in;
- Run-in time of at least 5 operating hours;
- Have complex problems repaired at a service center while the saw is under warranty;
- Do not dismantle the chain saw yourself;
- It is necessary to work in protective equipment. goggles, mask, gloves, headphones;
- do not use chain saw as an angle grinder. the tool is designed for woodworking only, not for metal sawing!
- The maximum time of the chainsaw’s operation without switching it off is 120 minutes;
- Always choose high-quality oil and gasoline to fill your chainsaw;
- do not disassemble the saw at home, as well as adjust the carburetor, if the saw is under warranty;
- STIHL mc 180 chain saw oil is not recommended by the manufacturer. If the manual is not able to give you the exact oil grade, use only genuine oils and greases;
- What kind of gasoline to put in the STIHL 180 chain saw. a question for beginners, experienced users know that the recommended type of gasoline is AI-92;
- You can only adjust the carburetor yourself after the 12-month warranty has expired;
- Replace and service the spark plugs as required, as they wear out, and as fouling occurs;
- Frequency of filter cleaning. once a month or less, based on how often you use your chainsaw;
- Watch the chain tension, use the adjustment nozzle on the side of the chainsaw for proper tensioning;
- STIHL chainsaw 180 chain lubrication is a regular activity and must be done before each use.
Running in the chainsaw
A chainsaw bar and chain need as much running-in as the engine does. You should pay particular attention to:
Next step is to tighten the chain. The chain should be tight enough so that you can turn it by hand without any problems. If it’s OK, then we run it idle for about 3 to 5 minutes. When this time has passed, we turn off the engine and check the tension. If you need to tighten it up. We do this by cutting some small branches without loading the saw bar. Shut off the chainsaw and tighten the chain.
After treatment, you need to perform final adjustment and debug the carburetor. If the carburetor ducts are not galvanized, it needs more attention. Setting up the starter itself is important, which is why Foresta chain saws come with a ready-to-use carburetor. This fine-tuning procedure allows you to get the most out of your machine, without losing sight of the safety precautions.
STIHL MC 180 chain saw malfunctions and how to fix them
STIHL MC 180 chain saw in operation. How to start a STIHL STIHL 180 chain saw. Troubleshooting next. Before storing for the winter, on the advice of mechanics, I put 4 drops of engine oil (STIHL) in the hole in the plug. Screwed the plug in. Going to the cottage at the moment, decided to take a look at the saw. How to start the chain saw in the most that after a long downtime saw start it with. Pulling the starter motor, but it won’t turn! Unscrewed the spark plug, it’s covered in oil, wiped it down and put it back in. same. I unscrewed and cranked the starter motor without the spark plug. everything is perfectly spun. I screwed it back on. the starter does not turn. What can be?
Simply flush your chain saw with unstained, undiluted gasoline, put it straight through the spark plug and slowly crank the starter. Later drain the fuel and use the newest. After all these manipulations, dry the saw and the spark plug and only then try to start it. If you have learned how to preserve, then learn how to re-conserve, and not just yank and go.
What’s the reason for the starter jam?? STIHL 180 chainsaw brand-new.
You won’t know if you can’t make it out. Maybe the starter cord is poorly seated, or maybe there is a tide in the way. Stiles starters are quite reliable and durable. No diseases of the constructive plan is observed, in the main either muddy or saturated use. Your chain saw is brand new, take it to a service center, it will be repaired under warranty.
I know something about my own STIHL MS 180 chain saw: when the tank is empty, the idle speed increases and the chain spins even when the trigger is released. When you press the gas, the chainsaw stops. It goes on for about 10 seconds and then stops. At avtomototehnika I have not seen such a phenomenon, that in the absence of fuel in the carburetor engine speed increases. Why does this happen??
It’s a usual thing with two-stroke engines. When reducing the flow of gasoline to the carburetor, the consistency is depleted. As a consequence. Increase of revolutions, worsening of acceleration. Short-term overheating of the cylinder head can be a side effect. The engine will not fail, but it will not improve health. Avoid letting the gasoline run out of the tank all the way.
I have a STIHL MS180 chainsaw, it’s used for logging during the summer season. In the near future chain reaction began to disappear when you press the gas, the chain does not spin at all, or jerkily. Sawing is unreal. How to start a Husqvarna chain saw. What may be the problem?
For a completely new chain and sprocket, the tension should be exactly as annotated. so that the lower strand does not sag. and the upper one could be pulled out to the height of the drive link. Then the chain will run quite freely on the bar. But the gradual wear of the sprocket teeth reduces its pitch. And the gradual stretching of the chain increases the chain pitch. and there comes a time when the pitch of the sprocket and the chain don’t match each other to an extent that the recommended tensioning makes it difficult for the chain to move. In this case, we recommend you reduce the tension a little. Right up to the occurrence of some sag of the lower branch. By the way, it is recommended to use a pair or even three chains on one sprocket for the same reason. In this case, wear is reduced and there is no accelerated wear of the new chain on the old, partially worn sprocket.
The STIHL STIHL 180 chain saw has a tendency to bang on the throttle when starting and stops when you start cutting. But if you gas it for about 30-40 seconds it starts running fine. Exhausted 3l gasoline, filters unstained, dealer oil.
If it started not too long ago, it’s likely that something got into the carburetor with the bad fuel. Must be cleaned.
I would like to buy this unit. What to look for during inspection?
Not talking about the engine itself, since it’s better diagnosed in the service, you can look at the rest and get a lot of information. A significant mileage is indicated by: Top cover latch hanging down. (Should lock tightly and not turn from vibration). A new sprocket on a shabby chainsaw. Motor wiggle in relation to the housing when the cover is removed. Cut chain catcher and chain damage on the chainwheel cover. You can also take a close look at the carburetor on the left side. the place where the wire rod enters the lever of the air damper axle. A slightly worked chainsaw will have a smooth, oblong. The longer the saw has been in operation, the more the hole will be worked out. Occasionally it rubs all the way through. Under no circumstances should you take a saw that has even a small amount of play on the right side of the crankshaft in relation to the motor. This is a sign of impending repairs.
How many seconds should I let the STIHL mc 180 chain saw idle before shutting it off??
Let the engine run for about 20-30 seconds and then turn off. The STIHL chain saw ms 180 cold start. How to start a STIHL mc 180 chain saw. no point.
I can not understand what’s wrong, but later I remembered that I had to add more idle speed, I added it on a hot motor, it seemed to work. I come in a week in the countryside need to cut a couple of logs, I start the saw and at first, the cool motor chain turns later all goes, stood for 10 minutes start everything is normal only on a cool motor. Is it normal??
If the chain turns, it means the rpm is too high. It should be understood that a properly tuned and serviceable motor is fully likely to have slightly elevated idle running immediately after startup to warm up. And it can be raised decently. before rotating the chain. The idle speed will drop a little as the engine warms up. For this reason it is recommended to adjust the idle speed only when the engine is warm.
Is it possible to fit STIHL MS 180 chain saw with a clutch drum with removable sprocket (it is “modernization” of the drum allowed), for example from the 250th?
Go to. Everything fits perfectly. Just don’t run over to, 325″. It’s hard on the motor. But there are a couple of things to consider. How to start a Husqvarna chain saw. Nevsky method. On this set (with removable), the sprocket is slightly larger across and one tooth more. The chain speed increases by a factor of 6:7, so the engine load also increases. But practice has shown that this is not critical with normally sharpened chains. And the 2nd. A brand new chain with 50 links on a sprocket like this is hard to put on. (Generally, 51 links are recommended, but they are rare). First time you have to struggle to get it on the sprocket and tire. And later, when a little bit stretched, everything will be normal to put on.
I bought a STIHL chainsaw 180. Poured in the oil, benzyl. Start it up and let it run without load at idle speed. I’ve burned through a tank of gas, and now and then I pressed the gas a little. For some reason, the oil to lubricate the chain never came in, the oil hole remained dry. Or it will start to come in when the revolutions are higher and the chain is spinning longer?
Step by step instructions
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so it’s just as safe and more comfortable to engage the mechanism without the brake equipment.
If a person is not confident in his knowledge and accuracy, then the brake on the contrary should be activated. With the right order of action, the device will not start, the mechanism does not make dangerous for humans.
1 scheme of the standard mechanism
- Before starting the benzoyla it is necessary to move the flap, which performs the function of the adjustment lever, downward, compared with the optimal position. First it is necessary to press the gas button. Only if this condition is met can the flap move normally to the end stop from below. You have to move the choke and hold the throttle button at the same time. The gas is set to the standard position, and the choke closes the carburetor, preparing the device for proper operation.
In our chainsaw quality ranking you will find all chainsaws with an optimum price-quality ratio.
It will also help to make your choice in favor of a particular brand of chainsaw our other article.
Russian-made chainsaws. low price with sufficiently high quality.
2 the standard mechanics diagram. how to start the saw correctly
- The ignition is turned on. To do this, move the toggle switch to the right place or move the switch.
- The primer usually needs to be pressed more than twice. It is filled with gasoline, after which you will have to press the device more than three times. Sometimes the chainsaw is not equipped with a primer, then you can skip this step.
When the machine stops all the time, you must start it up again in a planned manner (see. What to do when the chain saw cuts out when you press the gas). After a while the engine will gain momentum and be able to maintain active operation without interruption.
How to start your chainsaw correctly: instructions
Here are the basic steps you need to follow in order to start your STIHL chain saw correctly.
- Before starting, the chain brake must be actuated. It is activated by pushing it forward (as shown in the photo).
- Remove the protective cover from the tire.
- If your model has a decompression valve, you should put it in the on position to make it easier to start the tool’s motor.
Starting a Stihl Chainsaw the correct way. NEVER flood it Again!
- Press down on the fuel pump to reduce the number of swings and make it easier to start.
- The combination lever should be in cold start mode. Lock the gas lever and push the combination lever all the way down.
- Ensure that the surface is flat before starting the system. Keep the cutting part away from the ground, otherwise it will become blunt during start-up.
- Hold the tool with both hands and keep it on the ground. Your left hand should be on the chain saw’s handle and your right hand on the starter rope. Use your right foot to lock the tool in place by stepping on the rear handle.
- Gently pull the start cable with your right hand, until you feel a strong resistance. Pull the starter rope with force and pull it several times, starting the engine briefly. To avoid chafing, it is best to pull the cord straight up away from the housing.
- After a short start, the engine stops. Now move the combination lever up one click. The lever should move to the half throttle position.
- Pull the starter rope again to start the chainsaw engine.
- When the engine is running with a short press of the finger, engage the throttle lever. The combination lever will automatically return to the idle state.
- Without touching the throttle lever, move the chain saw.
- Pull the handle and remove the chain brake. The left hand position remains unchanged with the hand on the handle. The chain is released after a corresponding click.
On how to start the chainsaw correctly, you can see a detailed description in the video. Using these detailed instructions, you can learn how to start the chainsaw.
What to do if the chainsaw will not start?
But what if you’ve followed all the steps in the instruction manual, but your chainsaw still won’t start?? Regardless of the chainsaw manufacturer. STIHL, Husqvarna, Partner, Ural, Druzhba. there are a number of general measures to start the tool.
Below are practical tips from professionals that have been tested in practice and have proven effective:
- Don’t be nervous, don’t try to adjust the carburetor on the chain saw.
- Put the machine down and let it “rest”. It could be because the spark plugs are simply leaking. Allow them to dry.
- Take the instruction manual. Try to start the saw again. Do not turn on the saw brake.
- If that didn’t help, try removing the cover on the chain saw and removing the air filter. It is a good way to check that the filter is clean and makes starting easier.
- Replace the spark plugs. If you can’t replace the spark plugs, you can use an old one by removing and burning it.
- If you notice a pungent pungent odor, it is probably because there is excess fuel in the chain saw engine. To fix it you would remove the spark plug and turn the saw upside down to drain the excess fuel. Without returning the saw to its normal position, pull sharply on the starter motor several times. This will ensure that the combustion products leave the chamber. Wipe and glow the spark plug dry, then re-insert and start without filter.
- Check the surface of the piston to see if there is fuel in it. If you have unscrewed the spark plug and noticed that it is dry inside, you need to put some fuel into the chamber with a syringe. The problem may be caused by a clog that prevents fuel from flowing to the engine. If the engine can be started with a small amount of fuel, the pull will clear the blockage and the problem will be solved.
- The last two steps can only be done when the spark plug is dry.
- Make sure the starter motor works. It is not possible to start the chainsaw without the starter motor.
- Check the ignition box for spark.
- Try to remove the muffler carefully and start the tool without the muffler.
Each saw is characterized by its own characteristics of the factory. Watch this video to see how to start your Husqvarna chainsaw. Follow the instruction manual carefully, and you’ll get a long, durable chain saw.
Chainsaws have slightly different constructional features, but in most cases the principle of assembly follows two standard schemes. Many machines have a manual that says to activate the emergency brake before starting.
You should first master the device of the plant and learn the basic ways to fix the breakdowns, then the person will be able to fully operate the device.