How To Tension The Chain On The Saw
We shorten the chain on the chainsaw with our own hands
Other methods are known for removing rivets in order to ultimately shorten the chain. They are presented:
- Use emery, which grinds off the rivet head. At the same time, the process is controlled so that the neighboring link is not damaged.
- Use an angle grinder. You can also remove the rivet with an angle grinder using an emery or abrasive wheel.
- Apply a chisel and hammer. To do this, the product should be clamped in a vise for the guides, and then resort to cutting rivets.
After removing two adjacent rivet heads, you will need to separate the link. To do this, you need to place the barbs between the connecting plates, and then use a hammer to hit it with jerky movements. The plate should eventually fall out of the rivets. After that, you can resort to disconnecting and removing the link, as well as riveting the chain.
Many people use such links from unnecessary chains, but it is highly discouraged to implement this. The connecting link with the riveting element must be put on the chain, and then positioned on the anvil so that the open part looks up. The top plate is located on the rivet, after which it is lightly tapped with a hammer. As soon as the plate is firmly in place, you can immediately resort to flattening the rig. For this, a sharp impact with a hammer is carried out, placing a barb or core on the rivet. The second rivet is riveted in a similar way. The presence of a thickening of the protruding part will indicate that the procedure was carried out efficiently and reliability is ensured.
At the end of the work carried out, it will be necessary to check the movement of the connected chain links. First you need to adjust the tension, and then resort to a test with a working motor. These simple steps can extend the life of stretched or broken chains. In addition, old chains can be installed on a shortened bar, having previously adjusted the cutting product to the appropriate length.
The chain is considered a consumable for a chainsaw. often than other elements fail and begin to sag, especially with frequent use. With intensive work, the metal of the links begins to heat up, which leads to stretching of the saw headset, a decrease in tension. To avoid planned replacement, the chain can also be shortened at home. The procedure is simple to implement, but you need to know how to properly remove the rivets and reassemble all the components.
Repair errors and their consequences
The quality of work to shorten or increase the size of the chain on a chainsaw depends on adherence to the technological process. Major mistakes:
- The new element of the headset does not match in pitch, thickness or size of the teeth;
- Installing the element in the wrong direction;
- The chain does not match the length of the bar;
- The rivet is loose or crooked.
Violation of the operation scheme can lead not only to damage to the tool, but also to dangerous injuries. You should carefully check each element of the headset even before you start sawing wood.
No less significant indicator, like the previous one. During the production cycle, the chain itself rotates in the groove in the guide. And it is very important for smooth operation that this rotation is very balanced. This is achieved by a clear correspondence between the thicknesses of the shank and the groove, which makes it possible to fix the cutting mechanism well and prevent it from jumping off.
How to shorten the chain on a saw
The technical condition of the chainsaw must meet the operational requirements, otherwise, working with such a tool is very dangerous to life. The chainsaw is a highly efficient tool for cutting wood and wood-based materials. Over time, wear of parts and tool elements occurs. To maintain the condition of the instrument in proper condition, it is required to periodically carry out appropriate diagnostic procedures. With the passage of time, not only the dulling of the chain teeth occurs, but also the stretching of this element. To avoid the chain slipping off the bar during work, the craftsmen resort to shortening it. We will find out in detail how you can shorten the chain on a chainsaw.
Chain pitch as a leading parameter of the cutting blade
This indicator, in more accessible language, means the length measured between the midpoints of adjacent links. To date, it is the step of the chainsaw chain that is its main parameter.
In order to determine the pitch of the chainsaw of a specific modification in practice, you just need to measure the distance between the 1st and 3rd rivets placed in a row from center to center. In addition, the size of the link itself will depend on this value. Usually, a large step is observed when the dimensions of the links are also considerable.
When choosing a cutting base exactly step by step, you need to take into account the purpose of the gasoline tool itself. Most often this figure will be 3/8 inch.
How to properly tension the chain on a chainsaw?
This is another of the questions that concern users of gasoline saws of any power class. In this aspect, not only the stretching procedure itself is important, but also its correct diagnosis.
To do this, you need to grab the upper part of the tooth and direct it up. Under normal tension, a third of the tine tail should be in the groove of the guide itself. In cases where there is a large value. a direct signal about an over-tightened chain, and if less. about a sagging chain.
In addition, the chain must move freely along the guide itself.
A deviation from the norm indicates the need to tighten or loosen, i.e. Adjust the chain. When sagging, the tensioner simply unfolds, which can look like a regular nut holding the guide bar. With the use of an adjusting screw, the tire is pushed forward, taking up some tension. The saw element must be constantly turned by hand in order to achieve the required smoothness of its movement. At the end of the adjustment act, the clamps are simply tightened and you can start using the device.
The actions taken can be considered correct if there is inertia during the rotation of the chain, the stroke is smooth and precise.
Chainsaw chain tensioning is often found without tools, which is the privilege of high-tech modifications of current chainsaws, where changing the chain or guide does not require additional tools and is done in minutes.
What tools will you need for home repairs?
You can carry out the work using the most accessible tools. Depending on the skills and abilities, you may need:
- Angle Grinder;
- A hammer;
- Pliers or passages.
Some craftsmen also use an electric welding machine. It is not recommended to use it, since the seams after welding quickly deteriorate under the influence of vibration during intensive operation of the chainsaw. This method is only suitable for gear chains that transmit forces to the drive sprocket.
Why does the chain stretch on a chainsaw?
The chain on any chainsaw stretches over time, this applies not only to budget models, but also to well-known brands such as “Stihl”. This process is facilitated by the following reasons:
- Poor adjustment of the oil pump. Leads to improper oil flow, increasing metal heat during sawing.
- Felling and construction in adverse, extreme conditions. Particles of dust, dirt or sand get on the links of the headset and act as an abrasive material. Gradually wipe the joints.
- Use of waste or low-quality oil with m metal particles.
- Installing a new headset without adjusting the adjusting bolts after each use.
- Reducing natural tension after long and intense work.
Stretching the chain is normal for a saw headset. It can be controlled using the recommended oil manufacturer, following the rules for operating the tool. Failure to pay attention to the tension can lead to tool breakage, decreased productivity, and dangerous injury during operation.
How to choose a chain for a chainsaw
Buying a chain part for a gasoline tool is no less responsible than purchasing the saw itself. Knowing its purpose and understanding its main technical criteria, the choice of a chain will be greatly simplified and will only bring benefit. It should be based on:
- The mutual correspondence of the power and technical features of a particular saw and its headset;
- Understanding whether it will be possible to service it, its frequency and the amount of skills required;
- Absolute knowledge of all the nuances of completing a specific saw marking. Here it is important to understand whether it will be possible to complete the working tool with a non-original headset or not;
- Overexposing the position that 3/8 ” is the best pitch for the chain;
selection of the sharpening angle, which can be 10 or 30 0;
- Taking into account the dimensions of the guide bar and the cutting blade itself, which must match so that the chain does not sag and is not too tight.
And we will tell you how to adjust their length at home.
The procedure for cutting a log.
- From a common heap, I choose a log that is not jammed or crushed.
- I drop it to the ground.
- I bring one edge of the log onto the bench, and then the other.
- We retreat about 30 cm from the edge and saw off the hemp (blocks) alternately on both sides, gradually moving towards the center.
- The last cut will have to be done twice.
First. Up to half and second. After the remaining fragment of the log has been turned over, it is cut off completely.
This is to prevent the chain from jamming.
Slack saw chain tension
Hello to all visitors and those who first came to my modest resource “Secrets of the Master”!
As you understood from the title of the article, we will talk about the chain saw and everything connected with it.
Consider a few questions on the operation of this tool and not only.
- How to tension a slack saw chain if the tensioning mechanism no longer allows?
- Not much about sharpening the chain cutter.
- What can be used as a stand for cutting a log? Unusual solution.
- How and with what to cut firewood? Own experience.
So, let’s begin.
Those who have encountered a chain saw know that after a certain period of time robots the chain tension looses.
And it can sag so much right up to jumping off the tire right in the process of cutting, which in itself is not safe.
Therefore, it is just necessary to observe the stretch.
There can be three reasons for the chain slack, as I think.
Overheating due to poor chain lubrication.
Drive sprocket generation.
Low-quality metal of the chain itself.
Unfortunately, this also happens.
In all cases, you need to deal with the problem and, if possible, fix it.
✓ For example, poor lubrication or lack of lubrication may be due to:
- Oil pump malfunctions,
- No tightness of pipes,
- Gears of engagement with the pump are “lapped”.
✓ Sprocket production. long service life.
✓ Not a high-quality chain. the cheapness of the product itself. It is clear that, ideally, all this needs to be simply replaced and that’s it.
But this does not always work out, for a very simple reason. the lack of the necessary parts at hand.
Next, you will learn.
How to sharpen a chain cutter?
Now the Internet is full of information on this topic.
I also learned a lot, tried, experimented.
And in the end I came to the conclusion, if, of course, you do not professionally sharpen the chain, then the best way at the household level, in my subjective opinion, is to sharpen using a regular semicircular file.
Firstly, nothing complicated. a shoe on the inner plane of the tooth and that’s it.
The main thing is to do it in one direction, For example, from yourself.
Secondly, it is absolutely not expensive for money.
In short, 15 minutes of effort and the chain is ready to cut wood again.
Kohl, I touched on the topic of wood, I would also like to share with you my best practices for harvesting firewood for the winter.
Chopped firewood storage.
As you know, firewood is stored in a shed or yard.
The best storage method is considered to be a woodpile device.
Woodpiles can be of two types.
- Folding firewood leaning against something with one or more sides.
That’s it for this article. If you have any questions, please contact through the “Contacts” page, through feedback (blue button on the left) or through comments. I will be happy to answer all questions.
That’s all for sure.
See you in new articles.
Best regards Filippov Yuri.
Firewood chopping process.
- Swinging and accelerating, I lower the ax in the center of the block.
- I beat it before the workpiece “lets go” the jammed ax.
- I turn the block 90 ° and strike again, but to the end, until all four parts fly apart.
In this way, blocks are cut a little faster.
And in order to make chopping wood easier and even faster,
you can use a special machine with a screw splitter-attachment ø60 mm.
How to tighten a slack chain when there is nowhere to pull?
For work we need a small amount of tools.
- angle grinder with metal cut-off wheel.
You can use a sharpening machine.
- Hex wrench, 5 mm inscribed circle.
- Piece of wire.
Now we will need to get to the tension screw.
- Unscrew two screws with a hexagon.
- Remove the cover.
- Removing the tire and chain.
- We clean the body with a chip of sawdust, if any.
- Use a screwdriver to completely unscrew the tension screw.
- We take out the stem nut.
- We grind one side of the screw with an angle grinder, or rather the one that will adjoin the saw body.
So, we need to grind off one side of the larger cylinder so that it flattens out with the smaller cylinder.
As a result, we get the coveted millimeters, which were not enough for a full chain tension.
- We assemble the saw in the reverse order. Everything. the chain is tensioned.
Well, in conclusion on this issue a couple of tips.
- Do not over-tighten the chain, observe clearances.
- Do not tighten immediately after use, as After cooling, the chain shrinks and therefore, under strong tension, it can tighten the bar and deform it, which can lead to irreversible damage to the tool.
- Always cool the saw before adjusting.
And two more not unimportant factors that must be taken into account when operating this tool.
First. the degree of tension affects the performance of the saw.
The second is sharpening its teeth at the cutting speed.
Now let’s start sharpening.
How to chop wood?
In order for firewood to be conveniently chopped, you need to prepare a little for work.
- The first step is the correct ax (cleaver). Its blade has to be a strong wedge for splitting compared to a conventional ax, which is mainly used for chipping.
Cleaver. used for splitting-splitting wood, therefore, the shape of the blade is short, wedge-shaped, heavy, with thick cheeks, with a sharpening angle of about 35 °.
- The length of the ax (handle). optimal size 70 cm.
- The next very important point is where to chop wood.
- Requires wooden stand (deck).
As a rule, for this they use a fragment of the trunk of strong wood species (hornbeam, oak, ash.)
In terms of size, I can say for sure that the most convenient deck height is 600-650 mm. Diameter must be at least 300 mm.
Alteration of interior doors and more.
Lubrication system malfunctions and how they are eliminated
The main malfunctions of the oil supply system on a chainsaw can be divided into two main types, these are common malfunctions inherent in all chainsaws and individual ones, which may differ depending on the type of pump and worm gear installed on a particular model. Let’s start sorting out faults in order.
After it has been determined that no oil is supplied, further diagnostics is possible only if the oil system is completely removed. Of course, changing the filter helps in some situations, but this is very rare.
Individual malfunction of the Stihl MS 180 lubrication system
In view of the fact that Stihl MS 180 is one of the most common models of chainsaws, I would like to dwell on one inherent only malfunction and describe a way to eliminate it without replacing parts.
Quite often, on the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, there is a depressurization of the oil line in the place where the oil line from the tank is installed in the saw body. The malfunction can be determined by the characteristic grease leaks on the bottom of the tool.
To eliminate the malfunction, you must remove the handle of the chainsaw, remove the hose from the bore, clean and degrease. After all these manipulations, apply sealant to the hose seat and install it in the chainsaw body.
For more information on troubleshooting and full diagnostics of the Stihl chainsaw lubrication system, you can find out by looking. In which step by step the process of disassembly and repair of the lubrication system is captured.
Chainsaw chain lubrication system
To supply oil for lubricating the chainsaw chain, a special pump is used in the tool, which is dosed, depending on the number of engine revolutions, supplies lubricant to the saw bar.
The system uses oil to lubricate the chainsaw chain, which has increased adhesive properties, this is necessary to evenly distribute the oil around the entire perimeter of the tire and keep it on it even at high chain speeds. Let’s take a closer look at the oil supply system implemented in modern chainsaws.
Signs of a malfunction of the lubrication system, checking its performance
- Chainsaw chain is dry and has a pale shade without shine.
- The chain stretches relatively quickly.
- The tire is very hot and can even partially melt the paint.
- The oil from the tank is practically not reduced.
- Decreased cutting efficiency on a sharp chain
All these signs indicate that the lubrication process is not working properly. In order to check the oil supply by the lubrication system, it is necessary to remove the side tire of the chainsaw and start it. Further, you need to slightly increase the speed while observing the place where the oil line ends. If oil is flowing in, it is most likely that there is not enough oil for proper lubrication and the filter needs to be cleaned or replaced and, if possible, adjusted the flow. In the case when it is not received, the problem is more serious and requires further diagnostics.
There is a way to check the oil supply without removing the tires. To do this, it is necessary to direct the end of the tire towards, for example, a freshly sawn block from the cutting side and maximize the speed, while trying to keep the end of the tire no more than 10 cm from the block. If oily spots start to appear on its surface, it means that oil is being supplied.
Most common malfunctions
- Broken oil hose. It can sometimes be detected by visual inspection. The problem is solved by replacing the defective part.
- Lack of threads on the oil pump shaft, replacing it will help.
- A defective thread on the pump drive gear is similarly solved by installing a new part.
- No corkscrew of the main shaft (relevant for some tool models, for example, Homelite). You can fix it by installing instead of the native corkscrew, suitable for the diameter of the studs, cutting it to the required length.
- Blockage in the line. Can be removed by blowing with compressed air or mechanically using a wire of suitable diameter.
- Clogged filter element.
- The Stihl MS 180, whose pump is not separable, often clogs. You can try to rinse in clean gasoline if it does not help replace.
- In Chinese chainsaws (Gypsy), very often cuts off the grooves on the main gear, through which the force from the sprocket is transmitted to it.
Chainsaw chain lubrication system
One of the important chainsaw systems, without which work is impossible, is the forced lubrication system of the chainsaw chain. It’s not a secret for anyone that at the time the saw is operating, the chain friction against the chainsaw tire, which causes it to heat up and premature wear. To soften friction, the chain mechanism must be constantly lubricated.
Lubrication system device
Depending on the brand of the chainsaw, the details of the lubrication system may differ slightly in design, but their total number and connection diagram remains unchanged.
The main components of the lubrication system are:
- The oil tank is usually located in the crankcase.
- Filter element, installed in the tank.
- The oil line is a small diameter oil-resistant rubber hose.
- The heart of the system is the oil pump.
- Worm gear gear transmission force from engine to pump.
- A chainsaw tire, it can also be considered an element of the lubrication system, since it has special holes for supplying oil, by the way, the chain itself participates in the transportation of oil and, accordingly, also has some elements designed specifically to provide lubrication.
Principle of operation
The main unit of the system is the pump. The principle of its operation is as follows. With an increase in engine speed, a gear mounted on the main shaft drives the pump shaft through a worm gear. In turn, the rotation of the shaft creates a certain pressure in the oil line, which forces the oil to move along it towards the tire.
The end of the oil channel is located at the point of contact of the tire with the tool housing, where there is a longitudinal groove, on which, when the tire is installed, its oil channel falls.
The groove is necessary to ensure the supply of oil to the tire, regardless of the chain tension of the chainsaw. Simply put, no matter what position the tire is in at the time of operation, oil will get onto it through the groove.
Further, a chain is included in the lubrication process, on the links of which, depending on the model of the chain, there is either a groove or a hole through which the oil is accelerated throughout the tire. As the engine speed increases, the oil flow rate also increases.
Some models of chainsaws are equipped with pumps that additionally have a capacity adjustment, and if necessary, the amount of oil supplied by the lubrication system can be increased or decreased.
This function is quite convenient as it allows you to save money and not waste extra oil.