How To Trim The Corner Of A Styrofoam Ceiling Board
You can not make fillets yourself, but immediately purchase those that were initially prepared for docking. This is how they produce expanded polystyrene fillets, which do not need to be adjusted to each other.
The baguette that will be fixed to the left must have a right cut, and the right baguette must have a left cut. When creating the inner corner, make the bottom section rise above the top, for the outer corner everything should be the other way around.
Attach the baguettes to each other, if necessary, make undercuts at the joints of the base. If everything is in order, the skirting boards can be fixed with glue or screwed to the walls with further sealing of the seams.
How to make the corners of a ceiling plinth without fixtures
- Mark the skirting boards as required.
- Using a ruler, connect the edge of the skirting board to the mark. If you just cut along the mowing line, the parts in the corner will still not fold, as the inner part will interfere. You can trim it later by taking measurements on the ceiling.
- You can lay the piece to be cut on the table, with the part that will be located on the ceiling, and cut at an angle of 45 degrees. Adjustment required, but less.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the second plank, making the outer corner.
How to cut large angle crown molding corners by Creative Crown
Thus, you can make a ceiling plinth without special tools, using available tools.
Important points on how to cut ceiling plinth in corners
Let’s consider how to correctly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth and get an excellent result the first time. Follow a few helpful tips:
- Before fastening, both parts must be matched to each other. Place both halves together. The surface of the wall must be dry. Finding defects, you can easily level them with a knife.
- Several trims may be required. Don’t be discouraged if it takes a long time and has to make a few trims, especially if this is your first time doing the job.
- Determine the correct length of the planks in the corners. For the inner corner, the length of the plank must be adjusted exactly from corner to corner; on the outer corner, the measurement is taken from the inner point in the direction of the room.
How to cut a skirting board at any angle and without gaps. 3 working ways from a practitioner
There are more than enough tips on how to cut a plinth at 45 degrees on the net now, the only bad thing is that most of them are given by people who have never done this. Next, from the point of view of a practice, I will tell you how to cut skirting boards at the corners with your own hands in 3 options, and you will learn both about traditional methods and about folk universal recipes.
The science of how to properly trim ceiling skirting boards in corners is not as difficult as it might seem.
What tools will be needed?
For ceiling plinths, the following tools may come in handy, depending on the chosen method of work:
- Saw on wood. Suitable for working with wooden ceiling plinths.
- Metal sheet. Suitable for other types of skirting boards (foam, plastic, etc.).
- Miter box. The tool is a chute, which has the shape of an inverted P, where mowing lines are outlined at angles of 45 ° and 90 ° for cutting.
- Electric miter saw. Can be used instead of a miter box, helps to achieve high cutting accuracy.
- Electric jigsaw. Easy to operate, with the help of it you can efficiently and correctly cut a corner without burrs.
- Stationery or construction knife. Suitable for Styrofoam skirting boards, it is important that it has an excellent cutting blade, and therefore must be well sharpened.
Method number 2. Cutting by template
Most often, both ceiling and floor skirting boards need to be cut at 45º. If there is no specialized tool nearby, then an impromptu miter box can be drawn on a notebook leaf. From the school geometry course, we know that the diagonal of any square in relation to the base has an angle of inclination of 45 degrees.
The 45º angle can be set by attaching the plinth to the diagonal of the square.
Next, you need to draw a square and draw 2 diagonals in it. these will be the required 45º. You just have to correctly attach the plinth to the leaf and mark it. True, in order to cut off the plinth exactly without guides, you need a good eye and a right hand.
How to cut the ceiling plinth correctly in the corners
How to cut a ceiling plinth
Cutting a ceiling plinth in a miter box Methods for cutting a ceiling plinth for joining in inner and outer corners using a miter box, template or by marking the wall. Tool selection rules and useful tips.
One of the most difficult steps in installing skirting boards is cutting them correctly. Only by correctly joining the individual elements at the outer and inner corners will you get the desired result. Fillets will look aesthetically pleasing and neat if you cut them off at the right angle and seal the cracks. A special tool (miter box) is used to accomplish this task. And if it is not there, then other devices will help.
Selection of tools for cutting ceiling skirting boards
Miter box for cutting ceiling molding
To properly and accurately cut the skirting board, you need to use a suitable cutting tool. It is chosen depending on the material from which the fillets are made:
- Styrofoam. It is characterized by low strength and is relatively inexpensive, and therefore foam models are becoming more and more popular. Their strength does not particularly affect the performance characteristics, since usually the ceiling plinth is not subjected to mechanical stress. An ordinary stationery knife is suitable for cutting.
especially if made of hardwood. Before cutting wood ceiling plinths, stock up on a hacksaw.
In addition to the tool for direct cutting of the baguette, you will need a miter box. This is a special device made of wood, plastic or metal in the form of a box with notches on the sides. A hacksaw or knife can be inserted into it at the desired angle. Thus, the cutting angle is as accurate as possible.
To work with this homemade device was convenient and safe, the boards must be well sanded before bonding.
Cutting technology for ceiling plinths
For prompt and high-quality work, you need to choose a tool in accordance with the material of the baseboard and choose a cutting method. If you have a miter box, then there will be no particular difficulties in the process. If it is not there, then two options are possible: cut according to the template and measurements on the ceiling or make this tool yourself.
Features of cutting ceiling plinths in a miter box
Cutting a baguette for a ceiling in a miter box
It is necessary to work with this device with extreme care so as not to blunt the tool and not leave cuts in unnecessary places. In the process, we adhere to the following instructions:
- We fix the baguette in the miter box in the same way as it is planned to place it on the wall. The side that will be pressed against the ceiling on the miter box must lie against the sidewall.
When cutting and trimming products made of polystyrene and polyurethane, remember that these materials crumble and squeeze, therefore the tools must be sharp enough, and strong mechanical stress on them is undesirable.
Technique for cutting ceiling skirting boards
Drawn miter box for skirting board
This method can be used if your corners are even and you want to trim the baguette exactly 45 degrees. To do this, before cutting the ceiling plinth in the corners, you need to draw a miter box on thick paper. Draw two parallel mowing lines and mark the angles at the desired degrees using a protractor.
We place the fillet in this case in the same way as on a traditional miter box. Please note that you need to cut the skirting board while holding the tool in a strictly vertical position.
Rules for cutting ceiling plinths by marking
Trim skirting with wall markings
This method is used to cut skirting boards in cases where there is neither a miter box nor parts from which it can be made.
To do this, you need to make markings on the wall in this order:
When cutting in this manner, it is important to accurately track all mowing lines and mark points. An error of even a few millimeters will cause a gap to form. This method is suitable for cutting and joining both the inner and outer corners of the ceiling plinth.
Method for cutting a ceiling plinth without a miter box
Cutting a baguette for the ceiling using the tools at hand
To neatly dock fillets in the inner corners, you can do without a miter box.
We carry out the work in the following order:
- We apply the end part of the baguette to the sheet of paper and outline the contour of the convex side. It is more convenient to use a small piece of plinth (if any).
Tips for cutting ceiling plinths
Rules for cutting skirting boards in a miter box
When working with a miter box, there are two points to consider:
In addition, you need to know the following nuances before cutting the skirting board:
- Before you start cutting a baguette with a miter box, try cutting a test strip to avoid mistakes.
In this case, cut the plinth at an angle equal to half the joint. For example, if the walls are joined at an angle of 120 degrees, then we cut the fillet at an angle of 60 degrees.
How to cut a ceiling plinth. look at
We got acquainted with the question of how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth with a miter box, using a template or using the marking method. Of course, you can try cropping by eye, but then the result will be appropriate. By adhering to the instructions we have proposed, you will quickly and correctly cut the fillet at the desired angle.
How to cut ceiling plinths in corners with and without a miter box?
Plastic Ceiling Cladding. 2 Part Coving Trim
November 11, 2015
The procedure for installing fillets on ceilings seems to be quite easy, but it requires specific techniques to successfully complete the repair. Often we cut the corners of the ceiling plinth completely incorrectly, which leads to a reduction in its service life and poor quality of repair work. Correct joining, evenly fixed edges is a completely achievable result, if you use the recommendations of experienced specialists.
Varieties of finishing products
This material is intended for decorative finishing of the ceiling area, visually separating it from the walls and covering the joints of various finishing elements. Almost any option for decoration, interior design involves the use of such details. Otherwise, the room will look unfinished.
Fillets are used to secure this part, which are attached to the ceiling with glue. But a problem arises. how to properly cut the ends of the fillets so that they successfully converge with each other. There are rooms of non-standard configuration, where ingenuity is required for normal material joining. How to cut ceiling skirting boards in the corners? There are different options for trimming and docking. with or without tools.
The choice of mounting option depends on the type of product:
- PVC. the cheapest, but also the most brittle, prone to defects, but easy to use, it can be cut with a knife.
- Expanded polystyrene is also inexpensive, brittle, requiring a hacksaw for metal, although it is easily cut. Another option is slightly more expensive. from extruded polystyrene foam, it is more difficult to cut it, but it crumbles less.
- Polyurethane is the most expensive and moisture resistant, durable and elastic. It is more difficult to work with it, it deforms at high temperatures.
- Wooden. dense and heavy material, cut only with a hacksaw.
Installation of finishes: features
Many owners of houses and apartments, in the midst of renovation work, are often puzzled by the question of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners. The problem is that it is not technically possible to make an incision at a 45 degree angle. To perform such manipulations, it is important to correctly dock at the boundaries of the outer and inner corners of the web, which is quite problematic.
The specificity of the ceiling version is not only in the vertical position of the canvas. The mount is placed at the base at an angle of 38 to 45 degrees. The difficulty lies in making a 45-degree incision. It is difficult to connect cut edges from the inside, gaps appear between them, aesthetics are disturbed.
For the most accurate cutting, a special corner element is used, which is inserted into the edge of the skirting board. it will help to hide cutting errors. This element will emphasize the corners in the room; the choice of such a detail must be approached responsibly.
How to cut ceiling skirting boards in the corners? The secret of a high-quality incision is in making cuts both on the outside and on the inside. The inner cut matters if we make the outer corner.
Usually they use professional equipment. miter saws or industrial electric rotary hammers. But home renovation advocates can get by with conventional tools. The main requirement is that at the end of the work, the result should be a clearly visible texture for the cornice, reflected on its front or back side.
Corner slicing technology
So, at what angle to cut the ceiling plinth and where does the formation of an angle begin with the help of home remedies??
First you need to measure the angle that is between the walls. for this you can take pieces of foam from the technique. Usually the angle is 90 degrees. a strict perpendicular. In this case, you need to trim the edges of the product at an angle of 45 degrees. Perform similar actions with the second segment.
In the event of irregularities and mismatched joints in the gap between the ceiling and walls, you need to divide the corner radius in half. In this case, do not confuse the details. The baguette for the left side is notched on the right, and the one on the right is the other way around.
Before cutting the ceiling plinths in the corners, form a corner inside the material in the upper space. this decision is based on the fact that the lower side protrudes above the upper one. When performing an outer corner, the procedure is reversed. The texture of expanded polystyrene materials helps to smoothly and accurately adjust the details. If wooden or plastic elements are used for the baguette, then you will have to work with them more carefully.
Cutting method with miter box
The most popular mounting option is using household tools. The miter box is a renowned carpenter’s assistant to help you cut at the right angle. Usually it is a tray, wood or plastic, with vertical slots for the blade at angles of 45 and 90 degrees. How to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth with a miter box?
First you need to attach the material to the ceiling, install its bar in the miter box. In this case, the tool must match the position of the product. Holding the plinth with your left hand, choose a position for the cutting tool (hacksaw) at an angle of 45 degrees. The material is cut without undue pressure. After that, the striker is cut, set to the far wall of the wort.
Holding the working material with the right hand, select the position of the hacksaw at 45 degrees and cut.
Cutting without tools
How to cut a corner of a skirting board without a miter box? It is possible to perform the calculation and cut manually. It is enough to make a good marking on the ceiling, then cut off the desired corner exactly. A significant disadvantage of this option is the inconvenience when you have to hold all the bars with your hands during the measurement process. In general, this method helps to make the necessary measurements just as well.
By attaching the product to the place where it will be mounted, you can immediately take into account all the errors on the walls. First, two pieces are cut at a 90 degree angle. Then one of the planks is applied, resting it against the wall perpendicularly. The line is drawn along the ceiling, outlining the desired contour. Then they remove the bar and apply a second one. for reciprocal markings. The intersection of the lines will be the cutoff point. Then a place for the future cut is marked on the slats.
Experienced carpenters, joiners and builders know best how to cut ceiling plinths in corners. Most advise you to make cuts on the side and try on the strips to the ceiling, if necessary. cut in the direction of the part adjoining the surface.
Having made a rough docking, the finally finished fillets are screwed to the wall. The seams are sealed. the installation of the skirting board is complete.
10 adorable star children who look completely different today Time flies, and one day little celebrities become adults who are no longer recognizable. Pretty boys and girls turn into s.
A man always notices these 10 little things in a woman Do you think your man knows nothing about female psychology? This is not true. Not a single trifle will hide from the gaze of Partner who loves you. And here are 10 things.
Terribly beautiful: 15 shocking plastic surgeries that ended in failure Plastic surgery among the stars remains incredibly popular to this day. But the problem is that the result was not always perfect before.
What does the shape of your nose say about your personality? Many experts believe that looking at the nose can tell a lot about a person’s personality. Therefore, when you first meet, pay attention to the nose of the unfamiliar.
What is it like to be a virgin at 30? What, interestingly, women who did not have sex until almost middle age.
Top 10 Broke Stars It turns out that sometimes even the loudest fame ends in failure, as in the case of these celebrities.
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly
The ceiling plinth performs not only a decorative function, visually separating the walls from the ceiling, but can also hide the joints of various finishing materials of the ceiling and walls. Not every interior design involves the use of a skirting board, but more often than not, the overall look of the room seems incomplete without it. There is nothing complicated in fixing this element. fillets. almost all types of skirting boards are attached with glue. But the question of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of the premises can confuse many. Indeed, even in the simplest room there are internal corners, where the plinths of the ceiling plinth must be precisely and beautifully docked. And in a more complex configuration of the room, you will also have to dock the skirting boards, performing the outer corner. In this article we will look at various options for how to cut a ceiling plinth with and without tools at hand.
First you need to figure out how to cut the ceiling plinth, the answer to it depends on the material from which the fillet is made. At the moment we sell ceiling plinths made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), expanded polystyrene (foam), polyurethane and wood.
PVC ceiling skirting boards are the cheapest. They are easily dents and creases that cannot be repaired, so the product must be thrown away. Also their disadvantage is electrostaticity. the ability to attract dust. You can cut them with a sharp construction knife or hacksaw.
Styrofoam ceiling skirting boards are also cheap. This material is very fragile, it crumbles easily during processing, therefore, it is necessary to cut the expanded polystyrene with a sharp knife or a hacksaw on metal, without making too strong pressing forces.
Ceiling skirting boards made of extruded polystyrene foam are slightly more expensive than polystyrene foam, they are denser and more difficult to cut. However, they crumble less, making them easier and more comfortable to work with. Cut with a construction knife and a hacksaw for metal.
Polyurethane ceiling skirting boards are the most expensive at the moment. They are durable, elastic and moisture resistant, can be easily cut with a construction knife and do not crumble. The disadvantage of polyurethane skirting boards is their dependence on temperature changes. For example, over a gas stove, a polyurethane skirting board will permanently deform and begin to crackle slightly. If you try to process or cut such a plinth, it may bend or deform in other ways.
Wooden ceiling skirting boards are dense, heavy pieces that can only be cut with a hacksaw, preferably with fine, dense teeth. You can also use a cloth for metal.
Before proceeding to the enumeration of the ways of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth, I would like to note that there is a possibility not to cut the plinth with great precision. Special corner pieces are available for sale. into which the edges of the skirting board are inserted. In this case, it is enough to cut the plinth strip at an angle of 90 °, and the corner element will hide all the flaws. But this method is not always used, since the dimensions of the corner elements are slightly larger than the skirting boards themselves, so the corners in the room will stand out against the general background. Sometimes it can look bulky. However, if the design of the room allows the use of corner pieces for ceiling skirting boards, it makes sense to use them. Further instructions will be useful to those who nevertheless decided to accurately cut the skirting boards at a given angle.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box
The miter box is a simple carpentry tool that allows you to cut the workpiece at the desired angle. Most often it is a plastic, wood or metal tray with vertical slots for cutting at an angle of 90 ° and 45 °. There are also more complex miter box designs. for cutting at angles of 90, 60 and 45 degrees. For more professional work, a miter box with a swivel mechanism is used, where the hacksaw can be fixed at any angle to the workpiece.
How to cut a skirting board with a miter box. inner corner:
- We apply the plinth to the ceiling, measure the required length.
- Then we install the plinth plinth in the miter box so that the position coincides with the position of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The plinth strip must be pressed against the far wall of the miter box.
- Hold the plinth with your left hand.
- We choose such a position of the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and at the same time the handle of the hacksaw is as close as possible to the left hand.
- We cut the workpiece without making excessive pressure on the saw.
- The next step is to trim the plinth striker. We also install it to the far wall of the miter box.
- Press and hold with your right hand.
- We choose such a position for the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and the handle of the hacksaw approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the skirting board.
Next, we join the trimmed plinths and check the cutting accuracy. For a more accurate orientation, they also say that to complete the inner corner, it is necessary to start cutting from the front of the skirting board. After cutting, wooden skirting boards will most likely have to be adjusted with a file.
How to cut a ceiling plinth with a miter box. outside corner:
- In order not to be mistaken with the dimensions, it is better to start by marking the inner corner, and then cut out the outer corner. Otherwise, a situation is possible when the planks may not be enough in length.
- It is necessary to attach the plank to the ceiling and outline the dimensions.
- Install the plinth strip and press it against the nearest wall.
- Hold with your left hand and select a position for the hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees, when the handle approaches the left hand.
- Cut off the workpiece.
- We install the striker to the nearest wall, hold it with the right hand.
- We set the hacksaw at a 45 degree angle when the handle approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the workpiece and join the corner.
Trimming the workpiece with a miter box is only suitable if the angle between the walls is even. 90 degrees. If the accuracy is poor, you will have to use other methods.
How to trim the corner of a ceiling plinth using ceiling markings
Marking the skirting board on the ceiling also allows you to cut the corner evenly and accurately. The only drawback of this method is that it is difficult and inconvenient to keep the plinth strip suspended during the cutting process. Otherwise, you can mark the cutting angle in this way even more accurately than in other ways. Applying the skirting board to the installation site, all wall flaws and deviations in the corner size are immediately taken into account.
Cutting the corner of the skirting board:
- First of all, two workpieces must be cut at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Then we first apply one plank, resting its end against a perpendicular wall. We draw a line on the ceiling, outlining the contour of the plinth.
- We remove this bar and apply a striker, also resting its butt against the wall. We outline the line.
- The point of intersection of the marked lines will be the mark at which the skirting board needs to be cut.
- Again, we apply each bar in turn and mark the cutting point on them.
- We draw the line from this point to the other edge of the plinth.
We cut off the skirting boards along the outlined lines, join them and apply them to the installation site. Please note that this method is easier to cut inside corners.
How to trim a ceiling plinth with a miter box template
Something resembling a miter box can be done by applying the required cut angles to paper, cardboard or wood. Draw two parallel mowing lines, locate the center, and then set the required angles with a protractor. The advantage of this method is that you can postpone any angle, including more than 90 degrees. Of course, before cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth, you must first check the angle between the walls using a corner and measure with a protractor.
The technique for cutting a ceiling plinth using a painted miter box is exactly the same as using the miter box itself. We press the plinth plinth to one of the parallel lines, then set the hacksaw at the desired angle, which is already outlined, and cut off.
DIY impromptu miter box
Making a miter box with your own hands is also not difficult.
You will need three wooden planks or boards, which must be put together in a U-shaped box. Then the necessary angles are marked on the walls of the box, and a cut is made with a hacksaw. As a result, you should get a wooden miter box, in which grooves are cut.
A combination of an impromptu miter box and a template with marked lines. For the convenience of cutting, it is necessary to build something in which it will be convenient to hold the plinth strip, since it is difficult to keep it suspended. It is enough to put together a corner from two wooden planks or boards. On paper, you need to draw a mowing line with angles for cutting at 45 degrees or at any other. Then we apply the skirting board blank to the corner, press it by hand, as described in the technology for using the miter box, move the piece of paper with the template under the edge where we are going to cut it, and cut it off. In the process of cutting, we focus on the line drawn on the paper.
As an impromptu miter box, you can use anything you want, anything. that we form a corner. For example, a table pushed against a wall.
Important! Pay attention to the rule of making measurements for trimming the ceiling plinth. To mark the inner corner, you need to measure the length directly from the corner itself. To outline the outer corner, it is necessary to be guided by the fact that the plinth will protrude deep into the room by a distance equal to its width.
You should not fix the plinths of the ceiling plinths before you cut the striker and try on their location. Only after the two strikers are perfectly aligned in the corner, you can start attaching them to the ceiling. Minor imperfections can be finished with a file or nail file in the case of wooden and polyurethane skirting boards. To fit foam products, you will have to wield a sharp knife.
If suddenly, even after adjusting the skirting boards, a small gap remains between them, do not despair, it can be repaired with a putty. Cutting the ceiling plinth yourself is not difficult. But in order not to spoil many products, it is better to pre-train on small blanks.
With miter box
Most craftsmen prepare skirting boards for ceiling installation using a miter box. With this device, you can easily cut the necessary parts at home without spending a lot of extra time. We will analyze in stages how you can correctly saw off the fillet using a miter box.
- First of all, the blank of the ceiling plinth will need to be applied to the surface of the base and mark the length.
- Then a piece of molding should be placed in the miter box in the same position as it should be installed on the ceiling.
- The fillet is pressed as tightly as possible to the back surface of the tool.
- You need to hold the workpiece with one hand so that it does not shift during cutting.
- Lock the hacksaw at a 45 degree angle to the workpiece.
- The skirting board must be cut, keeping the degree of pressure of the hacksaw under control, so as not to harm the part.
- Next, you should proceed to cutting the “mating” part of the plinth. It must also be attached to the far wall of the miter box.
- The prepared part is pressed and held by hand so that it does not move.
- The hacksaw is set at an angle of 45 degrees in relation to the workpiece so that the direction of the cut is opposed to the first part of the fillet.
- And finally, the corner of the plinth must be cut.
How to cut an inner corner?
Cutting the plinth to prepare the inner corner must be correct. For this, a specialized tool is used. a miter box, but you can carry out work without it. Let’s get acquainted with all possible ways to trim parts.
Without miter box
Moldings intended for installation on a ceiling base can be sawn off without a miter box. It so happens that this method turns out to be more effective, so many masters turn to it. We will analyze in stages how to trim moldings in this way.
- It is necessary to place the part so that its edge rests against the joint of 2 walls. Be sure to mark this position with a pencil.
- Similar actions will need to be performed with the molding and on the opposite side.
- At the junction of the wall and the ceiling base, it is necessary to connect the intersecting points and lay the fishing line diagonally. Then it needs to be marked on the baseboard itself. This will be the mark for future cutting.
- Cut the part with a sharp blade along the marked strip. When docking, the components must be perfectly aligned. Using a similar technique, it is possible to cut off the material to form the outer corners of the skirting boards.
Features of cutting different skirting boards
As mentioned earlier, modern fillets are made from a variety of materials. The features of cutting parts depend on this characteristic. Let’s consider some of them.
- The most durable material used in today’s skirting boards is wood. When cutting such components, the most serious resistance arises, due to which chips and burrs may appear on the cut. Skirting boards made of wood, especially those with a small width, are advisable to be sawed exclusively with a hacksaw for wood with small teeth, or to use an electric jigsaw with the same “delicate” file.
- Expanded polystyrene (styrofoam). The most fragile and lightweight material used in fillet production. During cutting, it can easily crumble. It is recommended to cut out such elements using a sharp clerical or construction knife. Carrying out such a process, you do not need to press down with the blade with excessive zeal, because the notch zone because of this risks being squeezed through, which will negatively affect the appearance of the components. The work should be carried out with the utmost care and thoroughness so that there is no crumbling or deformation.
- Extruded (extruded) polystyrene foam. This is a more reliable and durable material that can be cut easily and does not leave crumbs. Cutting elements from such a material is much easier, since burrs or shells are extremely rarely formed on it. However, such parts are flexible, therefore it is problematic to keep on a curved surface.
- Polyurethane. Both rigid and flexible skirting boards are produced from it, so they can be installed both on relatively uneven and frankly curved sections.
It makes sense to cut flexible options only with a sharp knife, but with respect to hard ones, you need to do the same as with extruded polystyrene foam.
How to make an inner corner of a ceiling plinth?
- Features of cutting different skirting boards
- How to cut an inner corner?
- How to use the template?
- How to make a miter box with your own hands?
- How to dock?
Today, the assortment of ceiling plinths pleases customers with a chic variety. Such components are made from different materials and apply different designs to them. Plinths are easy to install, but often this requires you to first make their inner corners. In this article, we will figure out how to do it correctly.
How to use the template?
When cutting the moldings, you can use the miter box template. It is necessary to apply 2 parallel mowing lines to it. Then they calculate the central point and, starting from it, lay any desired corner with a protractor. Before sawing this designated corner, it is recommended to double-check the size of both the inner and outer corners between the walls in the room. For this, the same simple protractor will come in handy.
The principle of trimming ceiling plinths using a template is about the same as when using a standard miter box.
In this case, the harvested part must be pressed against a parallel mowing line and, fixing the hacksaw at the required angle, cut off the workpiece.
Using a miter box at home
The easiest way to adjust the strips of the skirting board is to cut it off with a miter box. This device is a U-shaped structure (something like a box without one of the walls). In the sidewalls of the miter box, cuts are made in advance, which are later used as a template for cutting both the plinth and other materials.
Cutting the plinth at an angle using a miter box, see this video.
The miter box has the following advantages:
- It allows you to accurately cut the edges of the skirting board according to the finished template.
- It is easy to do it yourself using four planks, a square and a saw. At the same time, you can cut template grooves for every taste, depending on the required type of work.
- It can be used to easily form both inner and outer corners.
The only drawback of this method applies only to those cases when the miter box is made by hand: it is necessary to be extremely careful, in advance to outline the mowing line for template slots using a protractor, without deviating a degree.
Cutting a corner on a ceiling plinth using a miter box has its own characteristics. You may also be interested in reading an article on the topic, plastering walls with your own hands, types of plaster.
Let’s take a closer look at how to properly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth using a miter box using different materials.
Once the corner is properly cut, it must be attached to the wall. This can be done in the following ways:
- Thin carnations. This method is suitable for wooden skirting boards attached to wooden walls. You can’t drive a nail into a concrete or brick partition.
For the internal. the same, but in the opposite order: attachment occurs on the left or far side of the miter box.
Both trimmed skirting boards are applied in place without gluing. If there are gaps, the fragments are fitted to each other using a knife. Minor defects can later be covered with putty. It will also be useful to read the article on how to make do-it-yourself wall putty.
Hand Right IMPORTANT: Even when using a template, trimming corners requires some skill. Therefore, for the finisher doing this for the first time, it is recommended to first practice on the unnecessary remnants of the baseboard, cutting them off, and trying to dock without gaps.
Polyfoam is also often found as an element of the decoration of rooms. Its characteristic feature is increased fragility, therefore it must be adjusted in place very accurately, the foam does not tolerate any deformations.
You need to cut it with a miter box as follows:
- Plinths are stacked in the miter box.
- An incision is made. Unlike polyurethane, foam is a soft material, and you can even cut it with a knife or, better, with a stationery or construction cutter. Here it is better to use a small, but even piece of wood, a metal plate or a ruler. As a last resort, you can make pencil marks corresponding to the slots of the miter box, connect them with a ruler. and lead the slot.
Asterisk IMPORTANT: Styrofoam is a brittle material, so the cutting tool should be sharpened as best as possible.
How to make a corner on a skirting board using a miter box. step-by-step instruction
ReLend.ru »Repair technology» How to make a corner on the ceiling plinth using a miter box. step-by-step instruction
Ceiling plinth is a decorative element that separates the wallpaper or tile from the wallpaper on the wall. It completes the look of the room and completes the decor. However, in order to correctly join the two strips of the skirting board in the corner, it is necessary to cut it off correctly. How exactly is this done? There are several ways to achieve your goal.
articles [hide show]
Pencil and ruler
It is good to use the miter box in rooms with even corners. But often the angle between the walls is not equal to 90 degrees, which means that it is unwise to cut the baseboard using a template designed for a 45-degree cut. In this case, manual marking is used with a pencil (or marker) and a ruler.
The cut method in this case looks like this:
- The plinth is applied to the corner, a line is drawn with a pencil along its outer edge.
- Applied to the other side, the mark is repeated. As a result, a cross should appear on the ceiling, marking the place where the edges of the two plinth elements converge.
- A piece of plinth is installed in place, which will be glued to the corresponding wall. On it, the position of the cross on the ceiling is marked with a pencil, and on the lower edge is the junction of the two walls. Read in a separate article on how to make stucco on the wall yourself.
Ways to form corners
Inner and outer corner
If you are going to decorate the ceiling with a plinth, it should be borne in mind that the corners in the rooms can be internal and external. It is with the latter that difficulties often arise. But thanks to the advice of experts, everything can be done in one of the following ways:
Cutting can be done in the following ways:
- using a special template tool. miter box;
- manually according to the markup made by a certain method.
Going to the market for materials, one should take into account that the assortment is quite large today. Wood and polystyrene take the leading positions among materials.
Wooden ceiling plinth
- Wood products often look spectacular. With the help of such a plinth, you can hide irregularities, as well as add zest to the interior. To fix the wooden ceiling cornice, you will need screws or nails (depending on the wall material).
- Polystyrene has long occupied the main positions in the construction market. A wide assortment, as well as ease of installation, determine a high demand for products. It is worth noting the excellent decorative qualities.
When making a choice between the first and second option, take into account the style of the room’s interior.
It is impossible to perform high-quality gluing of the skirting board to the ceiling if you do not cut the corner correctly. It would seem that it is enough just to cut the skirting board at an angle of 45º, but in fact, if you measure the angle formed by two adjacent walls, it may not be 45º at all, but, for example, 42º or 50º. As a result, a plinth cut at a 45º angle will not work. In this case, gaps and gaps are formed during the connection. the general view will be spoiled. Keep in mind that it is easier for novice craftsmen to fit a foam ceiling plinth.
When performing the inner corner, it is necessary to make it so that its lower part rises above the upper one, and the outer one. vice versa.
If there is no special tool, then you can manually cut the skirting board elements. We will look at how to cut a ceiling plinth using standard tools:
- stationery knife;
- Measuring the corner of a room using a corner. We put the tool in the corner compartment to the ceiling surface. The indicator should be equal to 90º. If there is a deviation, it can be argued that the corners are uneven, which means that it will be more difficult to cut the plinth.
- Apply a ruler to the plinth at an angle of 45º. With a sharp clerical knife, cut off the unnecessary part with a sharp movement. If we are talking about a wooden plinth, then first they make markings with a pencil, and then cut with a hacksaw.
- Checking the correctness of the cut: the ceiling plinths are applied to the corner of the wall. If the work is done inaccurately or there are minor defects, then they can be eliminated using sandpaper (unless the part is smaller than necessary).
If there is an uneven angle, it is necessary to measure its degree, and divide the resulting number by 2. As a result, we obtain the required value for cutting. For example, if there is an angle of 80º, the corners of the plinth should be equal to 40º.
You can adjust the skirting board in place, in this case, follow the sequence of actions presented on
To easily cope with this stage, which does not imply any difficulties, you should consider a few basic rules:
- The fixing of the skirting board starts from the corners in order to immediately carry out the most difficult work.
- It is necessary to dock the elements so that there are no gaps. And the excess glue is immediately removed.
- After completion, glue the remaining elements.
- If the choice fell on a plinth made of plastic, then a finishing putty is used to glue it.
Sticking skirting boards on liquid nails
Sections of fasteners are well moistened with a solution of a primer or water. After the putty is dry, you can proceed to the sealing of seams or cracks. For these purposes, common formulations that are similar to a sealant are suitable.
When choosing compounds for sealing joints, pay attention to the types that are produced on the basis of acrylic.
How to make a corner of a ceiling plinth
- 1 Some features
- 2 Ways of forming corners
- 3 Using a special tool
- 4 Manual pruning
- 5 Gluing Guide
- 6 Videos
The finished look of the ceiling and walls can be given by focusing on the plinth for the ceiling, securing it around the entire perimeter of the room. Before choosing it and finishing it, it is better to know what you will have to deal with, because the problem for many is the joining of the plinth in the corners. In the process, a lot of difficulties can arise, since the docking angle is not easy to make perfect and even. In this article, we will analyze how to make the corner of the ceiling plinth, doing the job correctly and beautifully.
Using a special tool
It is recommended for beginners to accurately cut the ceiling plinth using special auxiliary tools. So, for example, professionals adjust the skirting boards using a miter box and an electric model.
To know how to properly cut the ceiling plinth with a special tool, just read the quick guide or instructions. The budget option includes a simple hacksaw and a hand miter box. Despite the affordable price and primitiveness of the instrument, if the corners of the room correspond to 45º, the result will be excellent.
When working with a special tool, some features are taken into account:
- you don’t need a saw to cut a foam plinth, a simple construction knife will be enough;
- measurements of the length of the ceiling along the mowing line for laying the plinth are carried out in the first place;
- depending on the model, the miter box allows you to trim for different angles;
- if there are uneven edges, then it will be more expedient to use a clerical knife.
Pruning with a miter box
To perform cutting with a miter box, perform the following actions:
- We set the necessary parameters.
- We insert the first bar, and then a hacksaw for metal.
- We make cutting.
- We insert the second bar, which should dock with the first in the same way.
- Opposite holes are selected, but the angle should be the same, for example, 45º.
- We make cutting.
If all actions were performed correctly, then as a result, when joining two skirting boards, the parts should match perfectly. After that, you can safely proceed to gluing.
It should be taken into account what kind of angle we are talking about: internal or external. The process of trimming the outer corner is carried out according to the following positioning scheme in the miter box:
- the bar mounted on the left relative to the corner should be applied to the wall of the miter box closest to you with the bottom side up;
- the hacksaw should be inserted into the near left and far right grooves;
- the bar installed to the right of the corner is set in the same way;
- we insert the hacksaw into the near right and far left grooves.
Inner corner trimming
To trim the inner corner, the plinth is laid in the same sequence, and the placement of the hacksaw is different: first, the blade is inserted into the near right and far left grooves, and then vice versa.
A manual miter box requires care and accuracy. If used carelessly, you can easily ruin the ceiling plinth.
See below for a visual guide for fitting the skirting board in place:
If something is not clear about working with miter box, watch this video: