How to tuck the trimmer line into a Patriot grass trimmer
line trimmer and patriot reel: how to make them work together
Before you tuck the line into the reel of the grass trimmer, measure 5 m off the reel (this is how much line is installed on average trimmers). Then fold it exactly in half to find the middle. Acquired center need to stick in a special slot, which is placed on the spool. After that make the winding of the fishing line in the direction of the arrow, which is available on the head.
There are models in which the winding place is divided into two halves. Therefore, one is often wound clockwise, and the second. counterclockwise. Coiling line for trimmer one hundred percent, its ends are threaded through special holes. A cover is put on top of the head.
From what is written above, it follows that the process of changing the line is not complicated. Carrying out such manipulation as the winding of the line on the spool trimmer for grass, a couple of times, you bring this process to automatism. The only thing to watch the condition of the line at all times to avoid breaking it while working on the site when the spare spool may not be under hand.
Now you understand how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel, and you can do it without the help of others without much effort!
Preparing to change a fishing line
Before replacing the fishing line, you need to pull out and then disassemble the head. It usually includes a casing, a spring (on some models), a bobbin with a fishing line, a cover. It is necessary to unplug the electric grass trimmer (or shut off the gasoline one), and then proceed to remove the spool. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case, you have to disassemble the head completely, and in the second case, you just have to remove it from the gear shaft to which it is attached.
Find the two sides of the locks, press and remove the cover to open the inside of the head;
under the cover is a bobbin, it must be carefully pulled out of the body (sometimes a spring is hidden under it, it should also be carefully put aside so as not to lose it);
- after removing the bobbin becomes visible in the center of the housing fixing bolt (or screw), which must be unscrewed in the direction opposite to the clockwise movement;
- After removing the fasteners, hold the housing and with a rocking motion remove the spool from the gearbox shaft.
The second method involves the following steps. The head of the spool is mounted on the gearbox shaft. In order to disconnect it you have to secure this shaft. this is usually done with a hole that can be made with a nail, bar or screwdriver in a mower such as Champion or STIHL. After fixing the shaft in a stationary position, you must, holding the housing, begin to rotate the head clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is usually applied to the left.
Now that the head is removed and disassembled, you need to determine how thick the cord should be. You can find out the correct diameter for your grass trimmer by looking in the owner’s manual or on the bobbin itself, it usually has this kind of information on it. Another way is to insert the cord into the hole from which it is fed. If the mower runs smoothly, it can be used for work.
gasoline grass trimmer
Small mobile devices for cutting grass and young branches, consisting of a boom, motor, cutting part and handle is called a trimmer.
The device of the gasoline-free trimmer is simple, it is easy to disassemble, if necessary
There are electric and gasoline modifications. The former do not refuel, but they depend on the length of the cord. The latter work regardless of the availability of electricity, anywhere in the garden or vegetable garden.
Gasoline grass trimmers are lighter and less expensive than lawnmowers. They can handle grass and bushes, so these mowers are used on a domestic and industrial scale. For convenience, the technique has straps, which are put on the shoulder. In this way, the load on the arms and back is reduced.
The power of the model
Lightweight and compact household devices to combat grass on a plot of less than 15 acres have a capacity of up to 1 liter.с. Sufficient for country houses, small lawns.
Power in the range of 1. 3 liters.с. Needed for dealing with shrubs, thin branches. This is the indicator of industrial and universal machines. They have a longer operating life and weight, and some models can produce a high level of noise.
If you want to get rid of young shoots of trees, thick branches of shrubs, use lawn mowers with a capacity of more than 3 liters.с. These are heavy machines that require a lot of physical effort. The advantages of these mowers are a large fuel reserve, separate petrol and oil filling, high productivity.
The model with shoulder strap for easy use
Lightweight and compact household weed control devices for a plot of less than 15 acres have a capacity of up to 1 liter.с. Sufficient for the country house, small lawn.
Power ranges from 1 to 3 liters.с. Is necessary for struggling with bushes, thin branches. This is the indicator of industrial and universal machines. They have a longer operating life, weight, some models can create a high level of noise.
If you need to get rid of young shoots of trees, thick branches of bushes, use lawn mowers with a capacity of more than 3 liters.с. These are heavy machines, for which great physical effort is required. The advantages of such mowers. large fuel capacity, separate petrol and oil filling, high productivity.
Mowers with shoulder straps for easy operation
Grass is cut with a knife or fishing line. The first option is more effective. The blade copes with dense thickets of grass, branches, does not need winding. Disadvantage of blades is a high level of danger, the need to periodically sharpen the tool. It is true, all models have protective blocks, but they are installed on the side of the operator.
the trimmer line is safe, lightweight, and does not need to be sharpened. The disadvantage of this type of cutting element. it is not designed for thick branches. For young grass use a line for the trimmer with a thickness of 2 mm, for tougher vegetation. a line for the trimmer with a diameter of 3 mm.
The saw blade is used to cut the toughest branches.
Grass and small twigs can easily be cut
There is a universal version with interchangeable cutting element. In such trimmers, the line for the trimmer and the knife are changed, based on the task at hand. The disadvantage of such devices. a large price.
Removing and disassembling the spool
Cutting head consists of shroud, spring (not every model has one), bobbin with filament, cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the coil of the electric unit, be sure to unplug the grass trimmer from the mains. Disassembly method depends on the attachment of the mowing head. The first option:
- To remove the cover covering the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) that are located on both sides of the head.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. remove it from the body. Some trimmer reels have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully removed.
- Having removed the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the housing. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, rocking it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to lock the shaft. For this purpose, such devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or a metal rod is inserted. Brief instructions:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, and then lock the shaft.
- Take hold of the head body and start twisting it. Do this in a clockwise direction, t. к. thread on the shaft left.
Winding the line on the spool
Spooling the fishing line
Filling the line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, provided that you adhere to a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material are enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the roll does not exceed the diameter of the curbs. Once you have determined the cord length, follow these instructions:
- Fold the consumable material in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Charging must begin with the center rim, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction you want to wind the line for your trimmer. Look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. It indicates the winding side. If there are no markings on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. spend winding in the opposite direction.
- Wash the consumable material carefully, coil to coil. Try to keep the maximum thread tension.
- When you have finished laying the cord, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. Attach the other end (longer), in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the trimmer line, cut the ends. Do not forget to leave an allowance of around 10 cm.
- Install the threaded reel to the mowing head of the device. To do this, take turns inserting and pulling the thread into the output holes of the head to place the device’s bobbin into the leather.
- With the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. When you’re finished, put on the cover and secure it with the clips.
Step-by-step winding the line on the spool You can also wind the cord on the grass trimmer in another way, which charges two pieces of material instead of one. The replacement is done as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord in the form of a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin there should be a hole, which is designed to fix the line. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
How to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool? Video instruction
Warranty exhaustion of the factory filling of the grass trimmer will inevitably require the replacement of the fishing line. Having a very rough idea of how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool by themselves, beginners are reluctant to take on this task. However, with some skills, mastering this simple science does not present any difficulties, and the following similar instruction will facilitate this process as much as possible.
Grass trimmer. a necessary and useful tool for the garden plot and private home. Many people own and actively use it, but not everyone knows how to replace the line for the trimmer in the trimmer, especially at first.
In this manual, we’ll go over the entire replacement process step-by-step. Getting ahead of the curve, there are two ways to refill the trimmer bobbin with fishing line. There is no fundamental difference. the difference is that in the first case, one line for the trimmer, folded in half, will fill up, but in the second such lines will be two segments.
First of all, for winding the fishing line it is required to remove the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with a working arrangement of the motor and spool in the lower part, as a rule, have on both sides of the reel side keys. When you simultaneously press them, the upper part of the spool with the internal contents for winding the line is disconnected, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring that is part of the construction does not pop out and get lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife usually have a reel with a special wing nut: in such designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a stationary position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing bobbin on the boom wing nut. After unscrewing the nut, the entire tube can be removed.
- Electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a knife on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the bobbin. To immobilize the shaft, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into the hole and slowly rotated so that the screwdriver fits into the hole and the bobbin is locked in place. After that, the body of the spool is twisted clockwise (with the left thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third case, spools, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In spools with a drum, the drum is unscrewed, in spools with latches, the latch latches are pressed and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until the complete unscrewing.
First of all, to wind the fishing line, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- small electric grass trimmers with a working motor and spool at the bottom usually have side keys on both sides of the reel. By simultaneously pressing them, the upper part of the spool together with the internal contents for winding the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring that is part of the construction does not pop out and get lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, usually have a reel with a special wing nut: in such designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in the stationary position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing the bobbin on the boom nut, wing nut. After unscrewing the nut, the entire boss can be removed.
- Electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a knife on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the bobbin. To immobilize the bobbin, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow rotation is used to achieve a mutual arrangement whereby the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is locked. The spool body is then turned clockwise (with the left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third case, the reels are disassembled in different ways, depending on the design. In reels with a drum, unscrew the drum, in reels with latches, press the latches-locks and one part of the reel is released from the other. If the bobbin halves are threaded together, it is sufficient to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Remove the spool from the grass trimmer
On small electric grass trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor (when it’s on the ground), the spool usually has two keys on the sides. Push them down and detach one half of the spool body from the other half, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part, on which the trimmer line itself is wound, is removed. Be careful when unthreading: there is a spring inside that could come out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved boom (on such trimmers is not yet possible to place a knife) you need to wrap the body of the coil with one hand, and with the other hand you have to start turning counterclockwise, lambasting on it. This is the one that secures the spool to the trim bar. Unscrewing the lamb, carefully remove the entire spool, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight rod and reducer at the end (we can also install a knife in addition to the mowing line), we look for a hole under the spool, put a screwdriver in it, for example, twist until the spool is deeper, and the spool is blocked. Now turn the whole spool clockwise (because the thread is left) and take it out of the grass trimmer. Then we disassemble the spool. It can be assembled with snaps or twisted with a lamb. If the spool is snapped, we push down on the sides of the base of the latches so that they bend back and release one half of the spool body from the other. The lamb is simply twisted. There can also be a third type of connection between the two halves of such a spool: with it, you have to grab the lower part with one hand and the other. upper one and start turning them in opposite directions. When decoding such a spool you should also make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
Hand-held gasoline mower. Changing the line in the spool
In this video, I show you how easy and simple it is to wind the trimmer line onto the spool of a hand-held trimmer without the help of others.
In most cases, gasoline trimmers with an engine capacity of more than 1.5 liters.с. use cords with an iron cord inside. Such thread is perfectly suitable for mowing dry grass and small bushes. The presence of a core, positively affects the durability of this material. The disadvantage of such a cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above listed opponents.
Remove the spool from the grass trimmer
On small electric trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor (when it’s on the ground), the spool usually has two keys on the sides. Push down on them and detach one half of the coil body from the other half, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is removed, on which the line for the trimmer itself is wound. When parsing, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved boom (on such trimmers it is not yet possible to put a knife) you need to wrap the body of the reel with one hand, and with the second hand you have to start turning counterclockwise, lambasting on it. It is he who attaches the spool to the trimmer bar. Unscrewing the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight rod and gear at the end (we can also install a knife in addition to the mowing line), we are looking for a hole under the spool, put a screwdriver in it, for example, twist until the spool is deeper, and the spool is blocked. Now turn the whole spool clockwise (because the thread is left) and take it out of the grass trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with snaps or twisted with a lamb. If the spool is snapped, we push down on the sides of the base of the snaps so that they bend back and release one half of the spool body from the other. The lamb is simply twisted. There may also be a third type of connection between the two halves of such a reel: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand and the other. the top one and start turning them in opposite directions. When decoding such a coil you must also make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
Handheld petrol mower. Changing the line in the spool
In this video, I show you how simple and easy it is to wind the trimmer fishing line onto the spool of a hand-held power trimmer without the help of others.
In most cases, gasoline trimmers with engines over 1.5 liters.с. use the cords with the iron cable on the inside. This thread is perfect for mowing dry grass and small shrubs. the presence of the core, positively affects the durability of this material. The disadvantage of such cord is its price, which is considerably higher than the above-listed opponents.
Performing the winding of the line
Slowly completed disassembly of the bobbin spool without losing its parts allows you to move on to the main task. winding the line into the spool. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of operations.
Reel with one operational tendril
The easiest variant and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- Size of reel and length of original factory reel determine the recommended length of line for winding. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into a fixing technological hole located inside the bobbin.
- The line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer product. usually, on the inside of the reel an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is conducted.
- A small piece of fishing line is left free to be wound outside the bobbin and is caught in a groove on the inside of the bobbin to hold it in place while assembling the bobbin and lowering it into place.
- The leftover end of the line is threaded through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and slipped onto the trimmer’s boom.
Reel with two operating tendrils
In this type of bobbin you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inner side of the bobbin:
For both cases, take a line for the trimmer with a length of 2-3 m. In single-cable spools the line for the trimmer is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are put together and aligned, and then spooled in the opposite direction to the bobbin rotation direction on the rod. inside with an arrow usually indicated the correct winding direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded into them or held by the fingers of your free hand, threaded into the through hole of the outer half of the reel, the bobbin is closed and attached to the trimmer bar.
The difference of line winding in the double-groove reels is that originally a piece of line 2-5 meters long is folded in half (to define the middle fold), and a loop of the fold is inserted in a special groove between the grooves. Both line tendrils are wound on their own groove, fixing the tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the above variant with one groove.
The first performance of this procedure may seem long and quite time consuming, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show you how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel and wind it correctly. this operation is nothing complicated and with some patience is sure to succeed:
The process of changing lines
The manufacturer recommends a line of a certain diameter for each trimmer or cord. a spool is made for it. It can be from 1.2 to 4 mm: you need to look at the manual to see what size of line is acceptable for your tool. For example, many trimmers have a maximum value of 3 mm (recommended for hard grass). a thicker cord cannot be installed.
For mowing young, soft vegetation, a thin trimmer line with a diameter of 1.2. 1.6 mm is suitable
Also when choosing, pay attention to the structure of the cord: round is the strongest and suitable for rough grass, shaped. for soft, twisted or notched. for thin stems. Depending on whether you have grass on the lawn or weeds, buy the right kind of line
Good to know! Buy only brand-name trimmer line recommended by the trimmer manufacturer for grass. It is made of quality materials and is durable. it will cut the grass perfectly and not wear out so quickly
Useful tip: Place a piece of filament in water for about 30 minutes so that it becomes more elastic and stronger.
The line for the trimmer is wound onto the bobbin, which is hidden in the body of the trimmer head. To get to it, you need to disassemble the element. There are snap fasteners on the casing and you can easily remove the cover by pushing on them. Sometimes disassembly is done by unscrewing the body.
Be careful! Note the order in which the elements are installed, the way the spring and the fixing screw are positioned inside the head. Carefully stack all of the parts in one place so you don’t lose anything and have no problems reassembling.
|Type of spool||With separating bead||Without separating strip|
|Reeling the line||1. Fold the prepared piece of line in half and clamp the bend to the groove in the divider. Some spools have no such slots, then the line for the trimmer is cut in two parts and each of the segments is inserted into the upper and lower part, hooking the ends into special holders. 2. Each end of the line is inserted in its own groove. 3. The reel is spun so that the line for the trimmer is wound in the direction of travel indicated by the arrow. The two ends are wound in one direction. 4. The loose ends of the 15 to 20 cm long line are temporarily placed in the special holes on the bobbin. They must be opposite to each other. The hole on the body is chosen according to the diameter of the line (it is usually written next to the hole for which it is designed)||1. The length of line is cut in two parts. 2. The ends must then be secured by inserting them either into the holes in the top of the spool or into the special mounts on the spool itself. 3. Winding is carried out in the direction indicated on the bobbin. The two lengths of line are guided parallel to one another without allowing them to overlap. 4. The free ends are spread out on two opposite sides and, if there are slots in the spool, fix them there. The slit must fit the diameter of the line|
Read more: Fishing for pike on a wobbler. simple rules
We described how to wind the line into the line trimmer reel with two tendrils. This is the most common option. But there are other ways. For example, if the mowing head has only one tendril, the line for the trimmer is wound without folding it. Rotate in the direction indicated on the bobbin case and temporarily fix the free end of the cord in the slots on the case.
Useful hint: When winding the line, be careful not to pull it too tightly so that it does not sit too tight in the reel. It is necessary to ensure its free movement for subsequent pulling.
After the line for the trimmer is wound on the bobbin, you must assemble the body. Position the spool so that the ends of the fishing line can be pulled into the output holes of the trimmer head. Slots in the bobbin where they were temporarily inserted will prevent them from slipping out. If there are no such slots, hold the ends with your fingers when you place the reel in the housing.
Choosing a line
It is important not to miscalculate the size of the filament you need to thread into the trimmer head. The thicker the filament you thread, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut
Often a universal line for the trimmer with a diameter of 2 mm is used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
Check the instruction manual that comes with your trimmer for information on line thickness. Note the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about the possible line diameters. Another option is to try inserting the cord into the outlet
If it fits through easily, then the selected line diameter is suitable.
You can choose the cord according to the type of engine. If the line for the trimmer is too thick, it will increase the resistance to rotation. the engine in this case will overheat a lot and will soon fail. Helpful recommendations:
- For an electric device with an engine less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick cord will do. If you can’t find it, you can use 1.6 mm trimmer fishing line. If the power is more than 1 kW, choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, it is the shaft mower that matters. For the bent version a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm cord. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cord cross-section as well. Some popular options:
- The most common round-cut fishing lines. They mow fresh grass well, but cope less well with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not highly durable, but not bad for thin young grass.
- The serrated filament with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- It is possible to mow the lawn more evenly with a rectangular, star or square grass trimmer line, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-component cord with an inner core and a circular cross-section.
Note that you can not use wire, metal strings and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing thread instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually start to work, as a result their ends will unravel, and small pieces will fly apart with great speed.