How To Turn On The Trimmer
How to make a trimmer with your own hands
The simplest electric scooter can be built from plastic pipes, a small electric motor and a battery from a conventional screwdriver. For this you will need:
- A plastic pipe with a diameter of 40 mm of sufficient length to conveniently mow the grass;
- Corner from a plastic profile at 45 degrees;
- Plug for a plastic pipe with a diameter of 40 mm;
- Adapter 40/50 mm.
- Connecting wires.
To make the simplest battery trimmer with a lower engine position from these materials, you must:
- Drill holes in the plug for installing the electric motor;
- Fix the engine to the plug and solder the wires to it. Install the assembled structure in the corner;
- Drill a hole for the switch in a convenient place on the pipe. Pass the wires from the engine through the pipe and attach the corner with the motor to the bottom of it.
- Install the switch button and terminals for connecting wires in series with the battery outputs.
- Fasten the battery through the adapter to the pipe. It fits perfectly into a 50 mm hole.
- From the blades of a clerical knife, a metal plate with holes and a bolt with a diameter equal to the diameter of the motor shaft, construct the cutting element of our trimmer. Attach this structure to the shaft using a wire clamp.
- Cut out the protective cover from the plastic bucket and glue it to the corner with a hot glue gun.
A trimmer that is quite capable of cutting grass, even with a hard and thick stem, is ready. For ease of use, you can come up with a simple handle.
Repair start button
If the electric braid does not show signs of life, then the electric cable may have broken inside the handle of the case, or the button for turning on the electric motor is faulty.
In order to diagnose an electrician, you will need to disassemble the handle of the electrical appliance. The work is performed in the following sequence:
- The control handle is removed from the electric scythe frame.
- The handle is disassembled.
When access to the inside of the electric braid is provided, the resistance of the trimmer switch is measured using a multimeter. If there is no resistance after pressing, then this
The part is subject to mandatory replacement. It is also necessary to check the connection points of the power cable with the internal electrics located in the handle
Device. Contacts should be checked “on the cliff” with a multimeter. Often such a malfunction can be determined “approximately”. After detecting a broken contact, it is enough to solder the damaged area to restore the trimmer.
In the absence of a multimeter, diagnostic work can be performed with an indicator screwdriver. For this purpose, connect the plug to the mains and using this diagnostic tool
To find “phase wire” and thus check the presence of electric current before and after the power button. If the phase current is detected in another electrical circuit, then it is enough to install the electrical plug on the contrary in the outlet so that correct diagnostics can be carried out
Trimmer malfunction. The second diagnostic option should be carried out with great care, since there is a danger of electric shock when checking the integrity of the wiring.
How to use and care for your trimmer
Using any trimmer begins with starting its engine. In electric braids, you just need to plug the power cord into the network (or install a lithium-ion battery, in battery-type devices), and press the engine start button. The situation with starting a gasoline engine is much more complicated.
The lawnmower must be filled with petrol and oil before use. Modern trimmers use two types of petrol engines, 2-stroke and 4-stroke. Two-stroke engines, and most lawn mowers are equipped with them, should be refueled by pouring directly into the tank a mixture of AI92 gasoline and engine oil in the ratio specified by the tool manufacturer in the instructions for use. This can be a ratio of oil to fuel 1:20, 1:25, 1:40, or 1:50. over, some manufacturers recommend their own branded oil.
With a two-stroke engine, the oil / gasoline mixture is poured directly into the fuel tank
If your trimmer has a four-stroke engine, then only gasoline is filled into the tank, and oil is separately poured into the engine crankcase. When refueling, the following safety rules must be observed:
- Do not smoke while refueling;
- You need to unscrew the fuel tank cap slowly in order to relieve pressure in it, and to avoid the splash of fuel residues through the neck;
- Fill in the fuel mixture or gasoline and oil only when the engine is off and cold;
- Refuel at a distance of at least 3 meters from the place where the engine will start.
To start a gasoline engine, you must:
Engine elements of lawn mowers involved in its start
- Switch on ignition.
- Primer, which is a hand pump with a silicone button, to pump fuel. This will require 8 10 clicks on this button (usually the exact number is indicated in the instructions for the tool).
- Close the air damper.
- Lock the throttle lever with a stopper at high speeds.
- Pull the starter handle two or three times.
If the engine starts and immediately stalled, you need to half open the air damper and repeat the start in the specified sequence. After starting the engine, it is necessary to release the gas and open the air damper. The tool is completely ready, you can start working.
Grass trimmer, its structure and principle of operation
A grass trimmer is a tool that works like a normal scythe but has a motor to rotate the cutting element. There are two types of trim tabs, depending on the type of this engine:
- Lawn mowers powered by a gasoline engine, a distinctive element of their design is the presence of a fuel tank;
A distinctive feature of trim tabs on a gasoline engine is the presence of a fuel tank. In this model of lawn mowers, it is located under the engine
Motorized streamers with an electric motor, they are less bulky due to the absence of a fuel tank.
The power scythe with an electric motor has a lighter design
Electric braids, in turn, come with a mains power cable for connecting to the mains and battery.
Battery powered trimmer. In this model, the electric motor is at the bottom and the battery is at the top.
Each of these types of trimmers has its own design features that affect the energy block. Otherwise, their device is very similar. Grass trimmers consist of the following elements:
Lawn mowers device diagram. The electric trimmer has an electric instead of a gasoline engine and no fuel tank
- An engine located above or below, in the area of the mowing head;
- A bevel gear, installed only in models with a straight rod, with a bent rod as a connecting element between the cable (flexible shaft) and the trimmer head, the main bearing protrudes, consisting of two bushings;
- An intermediate shaft located inside the boom of the powered scythe (the shaft is available only in trimmers with a straight bar, in scythes with a curved bar instead of it, the rotation from the engine to the mowing head is transmitted by a flexible cable);
- The rod itself, often of a telescopic type (which is convenient for adjusting the tool to the operator’s height) with a handle fixed to it;
- Mowing head with cutting element;
- Control panels;
- Head protection cover.
In mechanized braids, a sharp fishing line (cord) is used as a cutting part, with any shape of section, most often round or spiral. It is wound on a spool that is inserted into the bobbin, leaving two ends of the line free. It is with these ends that the grass is cut when the bobbin rotates quickly.
The line spool is inserted into the spool located on the mowing head of the tool
Instead of fishing line, other cutting elements can be used, plastic and steel knives and discs. The tool can be adapted for the use of a cutting part of one or several types. This is convenient when you need to work with grass of different hardness.
The use of a steel disc for the trimmer allows you to cut not only tough stems of weeds, but also vines and small tree shoots
The principle of operation of grass trimmers is quite simple. Rotation from the motor shaft is transmitted to the intermediate shaft or a cable connected to it on splines. The other end of the shaft enters a bevel gearbox, which changes the direction of the axis of rotation, and forces the output shaft to rotate at high speed, on which the cutting element of the scythe is mounted.
The section of the bevel trimmer gearbox clearly shows how the direction of the rotation axis changes and the torque is transmitted from the intermediate shaft to the output shaft of the gearbox
In curved bar trimmers, the rotation from the engine to the cutting head is transmitted by a cable through a connecting piece consisting of two bushings.
Checking the electric motor
If the power button of the device and sections of the internal wiring are intact, then you should start checking the electric motor. For this purpose, it is necessary to remove the housing cover, having previously unscrewed several screws with a screwdriver.
The first thing to do after accessing the electric motor is to check that the brush assembly is working properly. If the brushes are worn out above the maximum permissible value, then the electric motor may stop completely or work unstably. In the case when the brushes and the collector are in perfect order, you should proceed to “I will ring” motor windings. In order to eliminate the likelihood of breakage in both circuits, you should alternately carry out
Checking the stator and rotor of the motor. To perform this operation, you must:
- Remove the engine from the electric scythe.
- Switch on the multimeter in resistance measurement mode and check all collector plates for breakage. When checking, there should also be no significant deviations in the readings of the diagnostic tool.
- Check for breakdown of the rotor winding to ground. For this purpose, connect one probe of the multimeter to “mass” rotor, and the other to any manifold plate. The multimeter must be set to measure resistance over 1 MΩ. Resistance in a working motor between the winding and “mass” must be very large.
- Measure the resistance value of the stator winding. If there is no resistance, then we can state in this case its malfunction.
- If the stator wiring is in perfect order, then a check is made for its possible breakdown on the case, in the same way as when diagnosing the stator.
When checking in this way, it is possible in 90% of cases to establish the cause of the malfunction of the electric motor. It will not be possible to check for an interturn short circuit, which can manifest itself only during the operation of the engine, but such a malfunction can be diagnosed
By indirect signs, which are manifested in a decrease in the power of the electric motor and its overheating. If the electric motor is equipped with a thermal relay, then such an electric scythe, with an interturn closure, will work for a short time, after which the trimmer will automatically turn off. In some cases, the thermal relay can cause a malfunction of the trimmer motor, therefore,
Activities should be included “ringing” thermal relay with multimeter or tester.
It is very simple to do this: in good condition, on a cold engine, the thermal relay passes an electric current,
In a faulty state, the electrical circuit will be open.
The performance problems of the electric scythe associated with wire breaks can be easily eliminated by soldering the contacts, but if the motor “burned out”, then a complex rewinding process will be required, which may
Performed by a qualified technician only. In many cases, it is much easier and cheaper to purchase a new engine and replace it with the burned one. This work can be done independently
In the reverse order of removal of the unit.
If the trimmer electrician is in good condition, then you should pay attention to other types of malfunctions that may appear during the operation of the electric scythe.
: how to wind the line onto the spool of the trimmer head
For a trimmer, it is best to use a line of the diameter recommended by the tool manufacturer. When buying, you should buy a cord of more well-known brands, and not take the first line of a lower cost and an unfamiliar brand.
If the petrol trimmer does not start or its engine stalls after starting, the cause may be a carburetor malfunction or a clogged fuel filter. Malfunctions in the operation of the carburetor can manifest itself when it becomes clogged and sticks on the oil film of the valves of this device. This can happen if you do not fully develop the fuel-oil mixture, and leave it in the tank for a long time.
To clean the carburetor, it is necessary to remove it from the engine and disassemble it, one by one disconnecting the primer (manual pump for pumping fuel), all gaskets and the needle. Each part should be washed separately with a carburetor cleaner, blowing liquid from the cylinder into all its holes. After rinsing, when the parts are dry, you need to assemble the carburetor and install it in place.
How to properly operate an electric grass trimmer
When choosing equipment for a summer cottage, it is not always worth chasing powerful and dimensional devices. The power of the tool is undoubtedly an important parameter, but it obviously carries with it the increased weight of the device, its large size, as well as the high price and increased fuel costs. But that’s not the point.
If you have a small garden in which fruit trees are densely planted or a small lawn with flower beds and shrubs, then clearing it of weeds and carefully mowing the grass is clearly an overwhelming task for any lawn mower. In such cases, even an ordinary scythe with a hand tool will not help: you simply cannot swing it, bumping into tree trunks.
The ideal solution is a good and inexpensive electric trimmer. It is so lightweight, comfortable and easy to operate that it always becomes a favorite among women and the elderly. A lightweight, quietly whirring electric motor, a handle with comfortable grips and a nylon line tucked into a spool are the main components of an electric trimmer.
How to use the trimmer correctly
The household trimmer is the easiest to use and at the same time very effective tool. It seems that there is nowhere easier to plug the tool in and work. But still, there are some nuances that you need to know in order for the trimmer to work for a long time and efficiently.
1. Site preparation. It is necessary to carefully inspect the mowing area and remove all foreign objects such as stones, glass, wire, etc. Having flown out suddenly from under the fishing line during operation, such an object is capable of causing injury.
2. Installation of the cutting system. There are low-power trimmers that can only work with fishing line, mowing soft and juicy grass, they do not need to install the cutting system. But some trimmer models with a motor of 1 kW or more can work with a knife. If there are tough weeds or even a small overgrowth of bushes on the site, you need to unscrew the working attachment nut and install the cutting knife. Then tighten the nut tightly with a wrench.
3. Before starting work. It is very important to wear safety goggles when working with the trimmer, because even if you have removed the area from debris, plant stems and grass can fly into your eyes. The same stems, grass and branches can injure hands, so it is advisable to wear gloves. We simply plug in the electric trimmer, but the battery trimmer needs to be charged for several hours before use. Then, if there is a shoulder mount, we hang it on the shoulder, knapsack on both shoulders. We conveniently grasp the trimmer by the handles: grasp the D-shaped handle tightly with your palm, and grip the garden trimmer with a bicycle handle (U-shaped) firmly with both hands. The trimmer should be held over the grass so that the line spool or knife is parallel to the ground. Turn on start.
4. How to mow correctly. The rotation of the cutting mechanism is counterclockwise. Thus, in order for the cut grass to fall onto the already mown area, easily, with simple movements, we carry the trimmer in front of us, from right to left. To remove the remnants of grass, make a movement in the other direction from left to right. If the area is flat and large, divide it into imaginary squares and mow, moving along the outside of such a square. If the plot is on a slope, then you need to start mowing from the bottom of the lawn, passing across the plot in one direction. Having reached the edge, you need to go back and mow in the same direction, parallel. If there are many trees in the area, only mow with fishing line, otherwise you may cut the tree trunk with a knife. In such a garden, it is best to mow around the perimeter, bypassing the tree in a circle.
Five. Completion of work. Turn off the engine and remove the shoulder straps. It is not yet complete completion. It is necessary to carefully clean the spool and knife from the remains of grass. Then fold the trimmer if telescopic or collapsible and hide it until the next mow.
Electric trimmer efficiency
Electrokosa, which operates from a household electrical network, is relevant on a site with an area of four to six acres, planted with trees, flowers, shrubs. It is convenient for her to carefully mow grass near the house or along the curb, mow paths, and an environmentally friendly motor that does not produce exhaust, gas and burning will even make it possible to remove weeds in any indoor room. Greenhouse or greenhouse.
The trimmer cable limits the cutting radius, but can be extended with a standard extension. If this length is not enough for you, or the parameters of the electrical network do not contribute to the normal operation of the electric motor, then you can purchase a type of electric tool, a cordless trimmer. It works autonomously, the built-in battery lasts for half an hour or an hour of intensive work is enough to mow the trees in the garden. The trimmer motor can be positioned at the top of the tool or at the bottom. Upper motor trimmers work well on bumpy and uneven terrain. They are also perfectly balanced and can work with tall and wet grass no short circuits will occur. The convenience of working with it is also increased by a single-shoulder loop, which is hung on the shoulder. The lower motor trimmer should only be used on dry grass and on level areas. Often, it is the lower motor trimmers that run on a rechargeable battery.
The line also has its secrets
The line is wound on a spool inside the spool, with the ends exposed outward. When mowing, the spool rotates, and the line, with this rotation, cuts the grass. To release the ends, you need to lightly hit the coil on the ground (semi-automatic system), there are automatic reels, in which the fishing line is released itself. There are also a few rules when working with fishing line:
In order not to damage the line and reel. Try not to touch the spool and line with various hard materials, tracks, curbs, fences. This will shorten the line prematurely, damage the reel or even jam the engine. The line spool should also not touch the ground.
Cut with the ends more effectively. Mowing the full length of the line can overload the engine. It also reduces the mowing efficiency. The tool should be held so that it only mows with the tips of the line. To do this, tilt it forward towards the mowing side.
Tall grass requires several mows. If the grass is taller than 20 centimeters, then one mowing will not do here. You need to mow two or three times, from top to bottom. This is to prevent the grass from wrapping around the spool. The wound grass is the guaranteed overheating of the engine. If the grass is still wound, you need to stop the tool and clean it.
The line ran away and hid in the reel. This option happens when you work if you did not release the line from the reel in time. After all, the line is erased and shortened during mowing. If you do not have time to release it, then stop the engine, unplug the tool, and then disassemble the spool and pass the ends of the line into the desired holes.
What determines line consumption? Remember that the line wears out faster if the grass is tough. Therefore, you need to release it more often when mowing weeds and dry tough grass. Around the foundation of the house, near the wall and curb, the line consumption will also be greater than directly on the lawn or near the trees. It is worth considering: if you work carefully and accurately, then the consumption of the trimmer line will be optimal and economical.