How to unscrew the spool in a trimmer. How to make a reel with your own hands
Grass trimmer reel repair with their own hands: how to remove, disassemble, change the fishing line for trimmer, assemble and install back
If the line for the trimmer is not extended with a light knock of the grass trimmer spool button on the ground, the prerequisites for this are usually the following.
Option 1. overbite, t.Е. Clamping cord between swivels. This problem usually occurs if the user winds the trimmer line unevenly on the spool, crossing the windings or winding it without tension. In the latter case, when the mower rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, under the influence of which intervital clamping of the mowing line can occur. To remove obstacles, you need to disassemble the spool on the trimmer and properly rewind the cord, in other words, even spinning with good tension.
Option 2.4. very short ends stick out of the head. When hitting the ground, the rod may not fall out if the ends protruding from the head are not long enough (short). Then the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line for the trimmer. Therefore, you need to suspend the unit (in other words, turn off the engine, unplug the electric grass trimmer) and pull out the trimmer line manually, first pressing the button.
Option 3. the trimmer line is sealed inside the mower. This causes the spool to stop and not even spin when the button is pressed. Mostly this happens for several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating of the spool during prolonged operation of the machine, and exposure of the mowing line to hard objects.
- First, the third-party cord that you like is made of low-quality and fusible materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stresses. Therefore, it is necessary to give preference to “branded” fishing lines.
- If you have a fishing line for a trimmer of unknown owner, and it often solders during work, then, of course, follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord in the spool, lubricate it or silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering the coils of the mowing line.
- The line for the trimmer may also be soldered if, while mowing, it hits a hard object (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc. Д.). During this time, it stretches a little and pulls at a high rate of speed to the head. The cord gets hot from friction and its spools stick together. The only thing that will be done to fix this problem is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the line for the trimmer.
There are situations when the grass trimmer user notices a very fast consumption of the fishing line. Here he never pushed a button with a button to lengthen the line for the trimmer. A prerequisite for the spontaneous extension of the line by cutting a special knife on the machine body is the lack of spring in the mowing head. Often novice users of mowers, trying to load the line for the trimmer into the reel, forget to install the compressed spring in the head, in other words, completely lose it when opening the cover, and then they do not even know about its existence.
The trimmer line also expands without using the button if the spring is loose. If the spring check confirmed this fact, then you need to put some washers under it to increase the pressing characteristics.
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, are confused, near panic when the reel has to change the cutting tool or line for the trimmer. Often when trying to unscrew the mower head, users simply make it unusable, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction To prevent this, if you need to change the tool, we recommend that you join the step-by-step annotation below.
- Before pouring the rod into the spool, turn off the motor shrub trimmer, as it is also called, de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries resulting from accidental rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the attached attachment gear shaft. To do this, you need to secure the shaft by aligning the holes on the washer and inserting an iron bar or screwdriver there.
- Unscrewing the nozzle. You should know that the threads on the shaft remain. So turn the grass trimmer reel to the right, in other words, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. In most cases, the main cap comes on clips. To remove it, you will need to lower these clips onto the body, squeezing the edges of the cover. If there is an aisle, if your grass trimmer has an automatic mower with a button at the bottom, disassemble the nozzle with care, as there is a chance of losing the spring, which sometimes flies out when you remove the cover. ,
- Cut as much fishing line as necessary. It is usually 5 meters long. Use the same diameter cord that is listed in the note to the tool. It is not advisable to exceed the largest diameter of the mowing line, as this will increase the load on the motor and increase the gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the piece of cord by folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- The reels have special grooves cut inside (there are holes). Insert a loop of fishing line into this groove.
- Winding the trimmer line onto the spool by turning it counterclockwise. The cord needs to be filled very evenly, the coils should not overlap and with good tension. When you have wound the line, leave about 20 cm of loose line and secure it in the slots on each side of the spool.
- Reassemble the mowing head. Do not forget to fully assemble the spring and washer (if available). Insert the spool into the housing and thread the ends of the cord through the holes or eyelets.
- Replace the cover and secure it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gear shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. Turn the grass trimmer reel to the left (counterclockwise).
Main coil malfunctions
Electric trimmer and lawnmower users often encounter a problem with the semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions may be as follows:
Trimmer line does not extend automatically
If the grass trimmer spool button lightly strikes the ground and the trimmer line does not extend, the reasons for this may be.
Variant 1. Binding has occurred, t.е. the cord is jammed between the coils. This problem usually occurs if the user has wound the trimmer line unevenly on the reel, with overlapping coils, or with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speed, the cord begins to tighten under the influence of centrifugal force, resulting in a possible inter-twist jamming of the fishing line. to fix the problem you have to dismantle the spool on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, i.e. with even turns and good tension.
Variant 2. Too short ends protrude from the head. the line may not come out when hitting the ground, if the line ends sticking out of the trimmer head are not long enough (short). In this case, the centrifugal force is not enough to pull out the line for the trimmer. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the machine (turn off the engine or unplug the electric grass trimmer) and pull the line for the trimmer manually by first pressing the button.
Variant 3. trimmer line soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the spool to freeze and does not spin when the button is pressed. There are several reasons for this: generally bad filament, overheating during extended use, or line striking against hard objects.
- In the first case, the cord from third-party manufacturers may be made of low-quality and fusible materials that cannot withstand the mechanical and thermal loading. It is therefore necessary to give preference to “branded” lines.
- But if you have bought a line of unknown quality and it often solders during work, it is possible to follow the example of some users, who after filling the cord into the spool, moisten it either with silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between the coils of fishing line.
- Also, the line for the trimmer may melt if it hits a hard object while mowing (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.).д.). This causes it to stretch out a little and pull back into the head at high speed. The friction heats the cord, and its coils stick together. The only thing you can do to fix this malfunction is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the line for the trimmer.
The cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when a grass trimmer user notices a very fast line consumption. That said, he never once hit the button on the ground to lengthen the line. The reason that the line for the trimmer unintentionally lengthens, being cut on a special knife on the cover of the device, can serve the lack of a spring in the mowing head. Often first-time users of mowers, trying to load line for trimmer in the reel, forget to install the clamping spring in the head, or lose it when opening the cover, and later do not even suspect about its existence.
Also, the trimmer line may lengthen without the button if the spring is loose. If checking the spring confirms this fact, you need to put some washers under it in order to strengthen its clamping properties.
How to remove the reel from the grass trimmer and remove the fishing line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool, it is necessary to remove it from there. The reel or guide is a device that is inside the mowing head, reel or drum. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturers), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same for all. First of all, let’s figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the reel with the fishing line out of it.
This is interesting!Changing the equipment can be made directly on the tool, but if you do it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and study the detailed process of winding. After the technology is mastered, you can perform the replacement work on the trimmer trimmer or gasoline mower. The instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are as follows:
Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean the head. Grasp the cover locks (on the mowing head) symmetrically with two fingers of one hand. After gently pressing them in, remove the protective cover from the drum
The process is not difficult, and as you understand, it is not necessary to dismantle the entire head, if you know how to perform the replacement. When disassembling, take into account such nuances:
How to feed a Stihl FS 45 Line Trimmer
- Periodically removing the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you never unscrew the screw, it will be difficult and even sometimes impossible to do so if necessary
- If the screw has a square bore head, then to unscrew the screwdriver or bits of suitable size should be selected to prevent the facets on the head from sticking
- When reassembling the unit, you should treat the threaded seat with a lubricant, such as solidol or machine oil
- If the facets on the screw have slipped off, special clamping pliers can be used to unscrew it
- There are reels that do not require prior disassembly. To dismantle them, you should take hold of it, and rotate it in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the reel, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
How to tuck a trimmer line into a grass trimmer reel
It will take about 10-15 min to wind up the trimmer line. What is a grass trimmer reel? Plastic housing with a cassette inside, which has a special hook for easy winding of the line. How to replace the cord on how to disassemble the spool at the gasoline pris. Almost all trimmer reels have a similar attachment principle, this is the central screw-button, when you click on it, it is possible to pull the line for the trimmer of the required length. How to remove the spool from the trimmer for grass Huter grass trimmer video how to wind the line for trimmer on. How to remove the spool from a grass trimmer, disassemble the spool on the trimmer. The photo below shows several examples of different spools for trimmers.
Bobbins trimmers, whose motor is located at the very ground, have a different attachment to the axis of rotation, they have two buttons on the spool located on the sides, which must be squeezed, otherwise, the replacement of the thread is no different from other cassettes.
The principle of the correct winding of the line is similar in all of the above cases, so for example, let’s consider the standard version with two tendrils.
To remove the spool with a fishing line you need to unscrew the screw, located in the center, but note the thread is left, so you have to twist clockwise, this is done on purpose, so that during operation it has not opened under the influence of centrifugal force.
Next, using a screwdriver, dismantle the head and take out the spool, on which directly winds lines for the trimmer. Measuring the required length and folding it in half, you need to tuck the line for the trimmer into the spool, bringing out, as a result, its ends opposite each other (for this purpose there are special slots for fixing).
After that it is necessary to assemble the head in the reverse order, passing the ends of the cord through the two corresponding holes.
If there are any doubts or it is not quite clear how to charge the line for trimmer on the grass trimmer, we recommend to look at how to wind up the line for the trimmer on the lawnmower correctly. In this video the instructor will open the trimmer head in detail step by step, measure the necessary amount of fishing line, usually it is from two to four meters, and demonstrate the assembly and installation on the trimmer for grass.
the grass trimmer, be it gasoline or electric, is the only true solution for cutting grass in hard-to-reach places that a wheeled lawnmower can’t handle. As a cutting tool in trimmers use metal knives or a special line for trimmer, which is tucked into the grass trimmer spool. But, unfortunately, trimmer heads in the process of use over time deteriorate. Some malfunctions can be repaired with your own hands, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
How to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer bobbin
It takes about 10-15 minutes to wind the mowing line. What is a grass trimmer reel? A plastic body with a cassette inside, which has a special hook for easy winding of the fishing line. Almost all trimmer reels have a similar attachment principle, it is a central screw button, when pressed it becomes possible to extract the line for the trimmer of the desired length. The photo below shows several examples of different trimmer bobbins.
Trimmer pins, whose motor is located on the ground, have a different attachment to the axis of rotation, they have two buttons on the spool, located on the sides, which must be unscrewed, otherwise the replacement of the thread is no different from other cassettes.
The principle of the correct winding of the mowing line is similar in all of the above
cases, so, for example, consider the standard version with two antennas.
To remove the spool with the line, you need to unscrew the screw located in the center, but notice that the thread remains there, so you have to return it clockwise, this was done on purpose, so that during operation it does not open under the action of centrifugal force.
Next, using a screwdriver, remove the head and remove the spool, which is directly wound string
Measuring the required length and folded in half, you need to insert the line for the trimmer into the coil, finally bringing its end opposite to each other (there are special slots for this).
After that, you should assemble the head in reverse order, breaking the end of the cord into two appropriate holes.
If you have doubts or are not quite sure how to load the trimmer line on the grass trimmer, we suggest taking a look at: how to properly wind the trimmer line into the grass trimmer. In this detailed, step-by-step guide, the instructor will reveal the grass trimmer head
, Measure the amount of line needed, usually two to four meters, and demonstrate the collection and installation on the grass trimmer.
How to remove the head on a BlackDecker GL716 trimmer.
The grass trimmer has an overhead motor and a curved boom. For convenience turn it upside down with the motor or lay it horizontally. We disassemble the trimmer head. To do this, simultaneously push down on the side latches and remove the top cover. Disconnecting the coil of the mowing line
READ How to Repair the Starter on a Brait Trimmer
Slightly recessed dark screw visible in the middle of the head body. We fix the head body with one hand and with the help of a star nozzle unscrew the screw counterclockwise. If you do not have a sprocket at hand, you can do it with a wide flat screwdriver.
Now to remove the grass trimmer head, simply pull it toward you. If it’s sour and stands firmly in place, then apply effort with light wiggling motions, periodically changing locations. Do not use force or impact. The body is plastic, and it is quite easy to damage.
Repair ‘Gardena electric mower (changing the spool)
The guaranteed output of a factory grass trimmer will inevitably require a change in the mowing line. With a very rough idea of how to insert a trimmer line into a grass trimmer reel on their own, beginners are reluctant to go into the business. But with some ability, mastering this simple science is not difficult, and similar instructions below will greatly facilitate such a process.
First of all, to wind the fishing line for the trimmer, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, spool) from the grass trimmer; certain actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of product itself:
READ Can I mow with a trimmer after rain
Small electronic grass trimmers with a working motor position and spool at the bottom, you have side buttons on both sides of the bobbin. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the spool, along with the inner m to wind the fishing line, disengages, although the lower.
The video focuses on the problem of changing the mowing line in grass trimmers, this will be of interest to anyone who deals with such devices. A man in work clothes appears in front of the audience, who promises to immediately and at the same time detail the way of manipulation, necessary if you set out to change or wind the line for the trimmer.
The hero is attracted to how important it is to get a quality trimmer line first, then it will be reliable and will last a long time. Then the man points out how to easily remove the old trimmer line, then he shows the very one he already has. Gathering.
How to change, remove the BlackDecker GL716 electronic grass trimmer’s mowing head when repairing, that is, changing.
BlackDecker GL716 electric grass trimmer was brought in for repair. On his example, we will show how to remove the head, trimmer head for grass, Kosilna head, in different sources call it differently. If you set out to remove the head of the grass trimmer, it must be disassembled. To do this, release the side latches, which are symmetrically located on both sides. Press two fingers there, with the other hand, gently shaking off the top cover. Remove the bobbin to wind the mower line. We can see the screw is slightly deepened. Asterisk or Flat Nest. Holding the Powerhead body with one hand, unscrew the screw counterclockwise. Swinging from side to side, pulling the body of the head’s Cosyln reel only toward you. Now you understand how to change, remove.
Scaffolding winding algorithm
Depending on the model of grass trimmer used, you choose the type, thickness and length of the mowing line. The cord can be between 1.2 and 4mm in diameter. It is not hard to guess that the thicker you tuck the cord, the stiffer and thicker it can be cut.
There are 3 ways to find out what diameter of fishing line you can use on your mower.
- Refer to the instruction manual of the device for the thickness of the cord.
- Look at the spool itself. It can be marked with information about the possible diameters of the mowing line.
- Insert the trimmer line into the socket. If it fits easily into it, you can use a cord of this diameter.
The line for the trimmer is wound onto a spool located in the mowing head. So it has to be opened first (this was discussed above). There are two ways to wind the cord.
To correctly determine how many meters of fishing line you need for a particular reel, you need to reel it in so that the reel is no larger than the diameter of the boards. If your trimmer line extends beyond the edges of the spool, you can’t insert it into the cover. Once you have decided on the length of the material, you need to load it into the reel, so do the following.
- You need to fold the line for the trimmer in half, so that one end is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Notice that the coil is divided into 2 parts by the center side, which is where the charging begins. Find the recess on it and insert the cord, bent in half, into it with a little effort.
- This is very important to determine which direction the trimmer line winds to the spool. If you look carefully, you may find an arrow on the reel or an inscription with an arrow indicating which direction to wind. There are cases where there is no arrow on the reel. In this situation, you can look at the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- The winding should be done carefully, wrapped around the bobbin, with the maximum tension of the thread.
- After the cord is finished, you must first secure the short end of the mowing line by inserting it into the groove of the appropriate diameter on the side of the spool.
- The other end, the genuine one, is installed in the groove on the opposite side of the spool.
- Once you have secured the line, cut the line ends, leaving an allowance of around 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install the aged spool in the mower head. To do this, insert and thread the thread into the output holes of the head, insert the spool into the housing, and then, using the necessary force, pull the trimmer line out of the fastening grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put on the cover and fasten it with the clips.
READ How to remove the spool from an electric lawnmower at home
The second way
Some spools provide a second method of securing the cord: instead of one folded in half, you can charge 2 pieces of string, the line for the trimmer is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before replacing or loading new line into the spool, determine how many meters of line are required as described above.
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- Find a hole in the bottom of the spool to secure the line for the trimmer, and insert the end of the string, bent into a loop.
- You need to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow up to the desired level, not exceeding the diameter of the spool.
- Do the same for the second spool socket.
- Assembling the head is no different from the method provided for threading the reel, considered with a double piece of fishing line.
For STIHL-brand motor braids There is a very quick and easy way to change a trimmer line without disassembling the mower, which you can see by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the body can be cut to the desired length when the part is installed in the trimmer. There are two ways to do this:
- Turning on the grass trimmer (while rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut around the blade attached to the protective cover for this purpose);
- Cutting off the extra ends with scissors so that they do not touch the body.
The second method is used if you need to put on a large diameter cord and the cutter cannot shorten it.
If the cord is threaded on the mowing head but the protruding ends of the cord are not long enough, they must be lengthened before you start the machine. This applies to the head with manual adjustment. However, there are cases when a semi-automatic mower is used, when due to insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they are not automatically extended. In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (it is absolutely necessary to pull the plug out of the socket on the electric device), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little fishing line for the trimmer. After this procedure, the cord will be able to lengthen again due to the centrifugal force, if you set the maximum speed of the spindle.
Is it possible to make a reel on the grass trimmer with your own hands
There are a large number of trimmer heads on sale (not automatic), which are inexpensive and of good quality. But sometimes there are situations, for example in the country, when the trimmer reel is broken, and its repair is impossible, the store is far away, and it is necessary to mow. Then you can quickly, literally in a few minutes, make a simple trimmer attachment for fixing the fishing line from ordinary plywood 10-12 mm thick.
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut out the disk with a jigsaw or metal saw.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disc that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Do not forget to put a washer on the disc before putting it on the shaft.
- You can screw small brackets or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides of the disc. They will serve to thread the fishing line into them.
- To fix the line for the trimmer, you can screw a few screws into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing attachment is fixed on the shaft with a nut. It is not possible to screw or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
It is also possible to make a mowing head out of metal sheet so that the line can be attached to it. You can see how to do this in the following video.
What you can use instead of a fishing line
Many trimmer users are wondering what you can replace the default cord used in such a device? They begin to conduct dangerous experiments, installing metal or copper wire, metal cables or strings, as well as ordinary trimmer line in the mowing head.
If a metal cable is installed instead of a fishing line, then the grass trimmer becomes a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during the operation of the machine the steel rope will gradually work, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly in different directions at high speed.
EASIEST WAY TO STRING YOUR WEED EATER
And if you accidentally touch your own or someone else’s foot while working with the steel cable (wire), it will provide a strong and deep tissue cut, and in some cases amputation of toes. Not surprisingly, the manufacturer uses nylon for this purpose, as it is quite light and strong, and when disconnected, it does not fly out and cannot cause injury.