How to use a benzosaw correctly
How to mow grass with a trimmer with a fishing line
Domestic grass trimmer is the easiest to use and at the same time very effective tool. It seems to be a piece of cake. plug the machine in and go. But there are still some nuances that you need to know in order for the grass trimmer to work long and productively.
Site preparation. You need to inspect the mowing area and remove all foreign objects like stones, glass, wire, etc.д. Flew out suddenly from under the line during the work, such an object can cause injury.
Setting up the cutting system. There are low-power grass trimmers that can only cut soft and succulent grass with a fishing line. no cutting system necessary. But some trimmer models, whose motor has 1 kW or more power, can also work with a knife. If there are stubborn weeds or even small bushes on the plot, you must unscrew the nut of the working attachment and install the cutting blade. Then firmly tighten the nut with a wrench.
It is very important when working with a trimmer wear safety glasses, because even if you have cleaned the area of debris, plant stems and grass can fly into your eyes. The same stems, grass and branches can hurt your hands, so it is advisable to wear gloves
An electric trimmer for grass is simply plugged in, but a battery trimmer needs to be charged for a few hours before working. Then if you have a shoulder strap, hang it on your shoulder, if you have a backpack. on both shoulders. Grasp the grass trimmer comfortably by the handles: the D-handle should be firmly grasped in the palm of your hand, and the garden trimmer for grass with a bicycle handle (U-handle) should be held firmly with both hands. Hold the grass trimmer above the grass, so that the line spool or the blade is parallel to the ground. Switch on the starter.
How to mow correctly. The cutting mechanism should turn counterclockwise. Thus, in order for the cut grass to fall on the already mowed area, easily, with simple movements, move the trimmer in front of you, from right to left. To remove the grass cuttings you need to move the trimmer the other way, from left to right. If the area is flat and large, divide it into imaginary squares and mow along the outside of such a square. If the area is on a slope, you should start from the bottom of the lawn, mowing across the area in one direction. Reaching the edge, you must go back and mow in the same direction, parallel. If there are many trees on the lawn, mow only with the line, otherwise you will cut the tree trunk with the knife. In such a garden it is best to mow along the perimeter, going around the tree in a circle.
Finishing work. Turning off the engine and taking the straps off your shoulders is not the end of the job. Grass residue must be gently removed from the bobbin and blade. Then fold the grass trimmer if it is telescopic or collapsible and store it until the next mowing.
When choosing a quality line for your grass trimmer, you need to pay attention to the technical parameters of the product. For productive operation of the garden tool, the thickness of the line, its strength and the shape of the string section are taken into account
Classification by diameter
For lawnmowers, lines with a diameter of 1.2 to 4 mm are available. Dense lines are used infrequently. The grass trimmer is generally equipped with a cord with a thickness of no more than 3.2 mm.
The range of lines for grass trimmer is very wide
There is a different thickness of line for each type of grass mowing equipment. If you use a thread thinner than it is supposed to a certain model, the speed of the shaft will increase, which may lead to a decrease in the functionality of the mechanism. Too thick a line in a grass trimmer slows down the rotation and often causes the motor to malfunction.
There is therefore a certain line diameter for each class of grass trimmer:
- Thin thread. 1.2. 1.6 mm. This cord is intended for regular lawn care. It is usually used in electric trimmers with low power. 500W. Good for cutting young grass.
- Medium trimmer line. 2.2.4 mm. The cord is used both for gasoline trimmers and for devices operating on electricity. Such cord can mow not only succulent but also dry and hard lawn grass.
- Thicker cord. 3 to 3,2 mm. String comes with powerful trimmers for cutting plants with thick stems and dry cuttings.
2 mm string is used for petrol trimmers with a curved shaft. Models with a straight mowing drive are usually equipped with thicker cords of 2,4 to 3 mm.
A 4 mm trimmer line can be installed in a lawnmower with a very powerful engine. It is most often used to remove overgrown weeds with thick and stiff rods.
Choose a trimmer line of the required thickness according to the operating instructions supplied with the machine.
Classification by cross-sectional shape
Trimmer lines are made in different sections. The most relevant is considered to be the round shape of the thread. They are versatile and inexpensive.
Each form of cross-sectional line has its own purpose, as well as advantages and disadvantages:
- Round line. trimmer lines are available in various thicknesses and can be used for cutting any type of grass. At a low flow rate, it can withstand considerable loads. The disadvantage of round cord is a high level of noise in the process of work and the inability to cut down overgrown shrubs.
- Twisted cord. With this cross-sectional shape you can mow grass of different hardness, including coarse dead grass. The trimmer line is very strong and silent. But can only be used for certain lawnmowers. Also, twisted cord is relatively inexpensive.
- Multifaceted trimmer line. Three to six facets of filament. For powerful devices. Handles thickets of dead wood and bushes with strong, stiff branches. The only disadvantage is the high consumption of the product.
- Curved cord. String withstands high loads. Cuts through grass in any density and density, including brush stumps.A special reel is required for this line. Not often used because of high cost.
For regular lawn care, mainly round threads are used. All other products with different cross-sectional shapes are used only on thickened areas, where you need to make more effort to clean it.
For regular lawn care, mostly round threads are used
Classification by structure
An important criterion for selecting a grass trimmer thread is its structure. The quality and type of material determine how long a product lasts. There are three types of line for trimmer:
- Nylon line. The most common type of line for lawnmowers. It is supple and lightweight. The material is durable and does not deteriorate as a result of temperature changes. Cost-effectiveness of the line is justified by its low cost and productivity.
- Coaxial. Elastic thread with a strong core inside. This line for trimmer has high wear resistance and can take the biggest loads. It is considered the most expensive and the strongest.
- With aluminum inclusion. With this line it is possible to mow rough thickets of weeds, it contains small fragments of aluminum, which give it high strength.
Nylon thread is the most popular among users. Aluminum and coaxial fishing line for trimmer is mainly used for trimming sturdy branches and dense thickets with a high-power grass trimmer
Getting to know the tool
The question of how to properly mow with a gasoline mower and trimmer is mainly asked by beginners who have recently acquired these tools. Before proceeding with the work, it is recommended to learn the construction and device of the lawnmower. The main structural elements of the tools in question include:
- 2-stroke gasoline engine. There are tools with 4-stroke engines, the disadvantage of which is their large weight
- Fuel tank. tank for storing diluted gasoline and oil
- Gearbox. the transmission mechanism through which the torque is transmitted from the motor shaft to the actuator
- Starter. device for starting a gasoline engine
- Boom. a rigid base that connects the engine to the working body
In addition to gasoline trimmers, manufacturers also produce electric and battery-powered counterparts. The main disadvantage of gasoline units compared to electric and battery-powered ones is their heavy weight. Weight of gasoline-type trimmers reaches 8-10 kg (4-stroke), which depends primarily on the power. To simplify tool operation, manufacturers supplement their units with special belts, also called unloading belts.
Know the design of the tool to learn how to operate it correctly. Unlike electric and battery-powered counterparts, gasoline trimmers need not only to be able to mow the grass, but also to start the engine.
This is interesting!To start the electric lawnmower, you only need to press the start button, and the start of the gasoline unit is carried out through the use of the starter.
Care of the device
To keep your lawn mower for a long and reliable life, you need to perform a number of maintenance activities.
- Grass trimmer should be stored in a dry place.
- After each use, the device must be cleaned of grass and debris.
- The air filter and the cooling grille on the gasoline grass trimmer motor must be periodically cleaned in the manner described in the instruction manual for the equipment.
- Keep an eye on the gearbox for lubrication.
If the gasoline grass trimmer is not needed for a long time, you should empty its tank, let it idle for residual fuel to burn off, lubricate the engine. Compound rod should be disassembled, and the joints should be treated with preservative grease to prevent rust. All the nuances of storage and maintenance are detailed in the user manual, which can be downloaded in case of loss.
What shape to choose?
Do not buy the grass trimmer blade in its original shape. This is often just a marketing ploy to increase sales, not a necessity at all
The shape as well as the number of blades can be important for specific tasks such as haymaking. If you want to deal with an area that is completely overgrown with weeds, and the only equipment you have is a light and not too powerful grass trimmer, peorized hardened steel blades will help
These types of blades have a sharpened blade edge. This is by far the most common type of metal blade that often comes standard
If you need to change the blade on your trimmer, you should pay attention to this group. There are an almost infinite number of blade shapes for knives, but what they have in common is that they are usually stamped from thin sheets of steel
The most common is the star shape with three or four cutting edges. They are relatively cheap and good for cutting grass, but quickly lose effectiveness, as the blade tip becomes blunt.
Round or square blades
It is important to understand that only the sharp edge of the blade is engaged when cutting the grass. That’s why grass trimmer blades should be chosen based on the amount of work
If you have to work with thickets of coarse weeds, you need a maximum cutting surface, then the weeds won’t wind up on the gearbox and the work will go faster.
Different blades are better suited to different types of vegetation, so it makes sense to have several variants and change them as needed. Again, rectangular and star-shaped blades are best suited for mulching, because these blades have the largest area. The rounder shape with much shorter blades is nearly useless for mulching.
A closer look at the tines
These types of blades have pointed teeth around the perimeter of the blade. All are round in shape with varying numbers of teeth on the perimeter. These teeth can be part of the blade and have a curved offset for blade clearance, or have chain saw type blades, or riveted to the disk. Most of them today have tungsten tips.
These discs are more effective at cutting because the cutting edge is around the outside surface, meaning there is more real contact with the material being cut. This is useful when dealing with old, woody weeds. But it also has its disadvantages. They tend to be more expensive because of their more complex shape and require additional machining to bend, sharpen, or attach additional parts. Because the cutting edge is at the tip, it is subject to more impact and wear.
How to choose a trimmer blade for grass
If you mow lawn and garden weeds regularly (at least once a month), an 8-toothed blade is the best choice. For tall grass it is better to choose discs with 24 teeth and more. the grass gets wrapped around them less. For a small power electric grasshopper, plastic blades or lightweight steel blades are the right choice. It may be worth having two or three different discs for different jobs
For mowing grass should pay attention to the tool with holes. these discs are lighter and less stress on the electric motor trimmer for grass
It is best to choose discs made of alloy steel or with Pobedite tips. The best are pobedite discs for trimmers. To mow the lawn and vegetable garden several times a season, you can even buy a Chinese product. The Chinese disk is inexpensive (400-700) and will serve a couple of seasons. Or even more. Branded discs are more durable, but also last longer. И
How to attach a trimmer disc or fishing line to your trimmer
The cutter bar is attached to the actuator. The attachment point is called the gearbox. The task of installing a disc or spool is not difficult. The principle of fixing the cutting discs on the trimmer is as follows:
- Initially, the shaped washer is fastened through the use of a hex wrench
- Install the disc on the shaft
- Then install the upper washer, then screw it with the securing nut
- The nut should be turned by means of a special socket wrench, which is usually packed with each tool
- Turn the nut in counter-clockwise direction
- When rotating, it is necessary to jam the shaft with an Allen wrench
In the opposite order of removal and replacement of the disc on the trimmer. For more details on how to install a spool of fishing line on the lawnmower, see this material.
Introduction to the tool
The question of how to mow with a brush and a trimmer is mostly asked by beginners, who have recently purchased these tools. It is advisable to become acquainted with the construction and design of the hedge trimmer before starting work. The main structural elements of the tools under consideration are:
- Two-stroke gasoline engine. There are tools with 4-stroke engines, the disadvantage of which is their heavy weight
- Fuel tank. a tank for storing diluted gasoline and oil
- Transmission. the transmission mechanism by which torque is transmitted from the engine shaft to the drive.
- Starter. a device for starting a gasoline engine
- Rod is the rigid base that connects the engine to the implement
In addition to gas trimmers, manufacturers also produce analogues for electric and battery-powered. The main disadvantage of gasoline units compared to electric and battery units is their heavy weight. Weight of gasoline trimmers reaches 8-10 kg (4-stroke), which depends primarily on the power. To simplify the work of the tool, manufacturers complement their nodes with special belts, which are also called unloading belts.
You need to know the design of the tool to learn how to work properly. Unlike their electric and battery-powered counterparts, gas trimmers need not only to cut the grass, but also to start the engine.
Working in wet weather
If you need to mow with a trimmer in any weather, it definitely should be a gasoline trimmer, because it can tolerate wet weather quite well. Although, according to the instructions of some manufacturers of similar gasoline technology is also prohibited to work in rain or on wet grass. When choosing a trimmer for grass, this is also worth paying attention to.
The electric motor is the most vulnerable to moisture in cordless trimmers. Accordingly, if it is located on top, it is less likely to get there moisture from the grass, but in rainy weather it is also not allowed to work.
Electric-powered grass trimmers are the most moisture-sensitive.
Usually water from wet grass gets on the extension cord connectors, where it can cause an electrical arc that can ignite the insulating plastic or cause a short circuit. This defect can be “corrected” by buying a new extension cord or replacing the plug, but moisture ingress on the motor or control circuit leads to irreversible grass trimmer failure. In addition, working with such a tool in the rain is simply dangerous, as there is a high probability of electrocution.
How to use a trimmer
Tips on how to mow grass
- Mow grass when it’s not too big. It will allow you to cope with the work much easier and faster than if you mow a heavily overgrown lawn or yard. A large mass of grass, weeds, plants and trimmers will be difficult to grind. In addition, there will be a lot of chopped grass lying on the surface, which you either have to remove, or wait until it dries out, or until it becomes compost, which is not very pretty and can cause various grass diseases.
- Avoid mowing not grass, but fences, rocks, bricks or any other hard objects, as this will greatly accelerate the wear and tear of the line and require more frequent replacement.
- Some people will have to wear an orthopedic corset (although this may seem silly). Back support allows you to keep working longer and feel more comfortable.
Warnings on how to use a trimmer
A grass trimmer, like a twig chopper, chainsaw, or garden tractor, is not wise to use for something it’s not designed for.
Keep the grass trimmer away from you to avoid cutting off your fingers or foot.
Don’t trim in water or wet grass. If you have an electric grass trimmer, you can get electrocuted. If you have a gasoline grass trimmer, you may pollute the water and grass with fuel and exhaust fumes.
You’ll need things to mow the grass
- Pants. Sturdy work jeans without holes are preferred. You may mow anywhere, so if you don’t protect your legs, you may soon feel a few thousand ants crawling up your legs and biting you. Sometimes a weed can scratch you to the point of bleeding or severely stabbed, thrown back on the mower by the trimmer.
- Gloves. fingerless, leather, it doesn’t matter. If you mow the grass without gloves, you won’t be able to move even your little finger without pain by the end of mowing. The weight of the grass through the grass trimmer puts pressure on your hands and your hands will get abrasions and chafes if they weren’t wearing protective gloves.
- Safety glasses. you can’t mow grass with your eyes closed because little bits of grass will fly in your face. One good eye contact will convince you that safety goggles are a must. This refers to one of the main rules of how to use a trimmer.
- Have plenty of drinking water on hand. Even if you think it won’t be hot, think again. You need how to mow grass with a vibrating trimmer for quite some time.
- Have a spare line for your trimmer or a tucked one
A trimmer head to replace if it runs out.
Start your electric grass trimmer for the first time
Adjusting and running in the electric grass trimmer is also not difficult. To do this, it should be assembled and run, but not run immediately. It will be best to start the device several times (3-5 will be enough) to make sure of an easy start. If the machine starts up without any problems, you can run it in for five minutes on the lawn, without heavy exertion.
Almost all modern electric grass trimmers are designed for 20/20 operation, t.е. Twenty minutes of operation and twenty minutes of rest. The last is necessary to allow the engine to cool down a little. If you operate such a grass trimmer for more than 20 minutes without giving it the necessary time to rest, the engine life can decrease dramatically, as it experiences an increased load.
Continuous mode of operation in an electric trimmer is not provided, but, nevertheless, if not run-in correctly, gradually increasing the load and operating time (up to 20 minutes, but no more), the device may not work properly, bringing the owner the trouble of constant failures and malfunctions.
Filling the lawnmower with petrol and oil
Before you mow grass with a chain saw, you need to fill up the tool with fuel. The fuel used is gasoline and oil. Please note, however, that you should only mix petrol with oil for two-stroke engines. Four-stroke motors run on pure gasoline, as they have a separate container in their design. the oil sump. No oil sump in the construction of 2-stroke gasoline trimmers, therefore, only petrol and oil should be filled into the tank.
It is recommended to use AI-92 grade fuel as gasoline. In order not to make a wrong choice, it is necessary to read the manufacturer’s instructions. Often most manufacturers recommend using AI-92 grade fuel, and only some recommend pouring AI-95.
Gasoline must be diluted with petrol in the ratio of 1 to 25. That means adding 40 ml of two-stroke oil to a liter of gasoline. But it’s not all so clear-cut here either. The proportion of 1 to 25 is universal, but there are different values for each model of tool. These values are also indicated by the manufacturer in the manual. For more information on how to properly dilute gasoline with oil in a lawnmower, described here. After diluting petrol and oil you need to fill a full tank and then start working.
If you fuel a four-stroke lawnmower, you need to fill the tank with clean gasoline, and the oil tank is filled with engine oil up to the maximum level.
How to mow grass correctly with a garden trimmer
Always mow grass from the right to the left because the cutting part of the grass trimmer rotates counterclockwise.
Mowing high grass. High grass should be mowed in both directions of movement: from right to left and from left to right. Counter motions mow the grass in two passes and allow you to handle even very tall weeds.
Techniques for larger areas. Level and large areas should be mowed in squares, moving from the outer areas to the central.
The technique of mowing hills. Mow hilly areas in parallel stripes. If there are obstacles in your way, use a spool of fishing line to mow around them.
How to mow grass with a fishing line: expert tips?
Hold the line spool 10 centimetres off the ground.
The optimum line length is 15 cm. Too short a trimmer line will reduce mowing performance, too long will cling to obstacles.
When mowing, the reel should be guided in the direction of rotation of the reel. from right to left.
Mow grass which is near an obstacle with the tip of the line.
How thick is the line to be mowed?? Everything depends on the mower’s cutting task and power:
The application value of a clean tool
A feature of all gasoline-powered mowers. Exceptional demand for cleanliness.
Dust from the protective plastic of the body can get into the tank, clogs the felt of the air filter, clogs the throttle control assembly. possible problems with the unit and carburetor tuning.
Grass clings to the gearbox and reduces the efficiency of the heat transfer. Lubricant loses its properties faster. gear teeth and drive shaft splines wear out.
Sand in the trimmer head housing clogs all the grooves. Prevents free movement of the spring loaded coil. Making it impossible to feed the line by lightly touching the head to the ground.
Anything that can be wound between the cutting head and the gearbox (wires, ropes, stems) puts extra strain on the lawnmower and causes faster wear on the shaft and the clutch.
How to repair a brushcutter profitably
During the warranty period. timely self-maintenance (cleaning, lubrication) and service maintenance prevents the appearance of unexpected failures.
Throughout the rest of the service life, repairs and adjustments can be carried out with your own hands. the design is simple, there are no problems with spare parts for Stihl and Viking. A thorough defect examination is more important here.
Thus, obvious problems in the fuel mixture preparation system (diagnosed by the condition of the headlight tip) will not necessarily indicate a problem with the carburetor. The apparent difference in color and condition of the center electrode of a working spark plug from a new one can most likely be caused by a busted plastic spacer between the carburetor and the engine. That is why you should not be in a hurry to adjust the position of the mixture quality adjustment screws yourself, on a 2-3-year old tool.
And even if you are sure that the defect of a particular part is detected, it is necessary to check the condition of all adjacent elements. For example, a lawnmower that has been found to have critical wear on its gear gears should be inspected for the integrity of the seating faces of the shaft. Make sure the clutch is working properly. Otherwise, instead of trouble-free work in the season, the user will have to constantly deal with repairs.
Initial post-warranty self-service intervals are only for spark plug replacement (100 engine hours). Replace the filter elements of the air intake, gasoline tank and the flame screen on the exhaust system inlet. when there is a significant drop in power, unstable engine operation under load and at idle speed, there are problems with starting.
Take care of your petrol trimmer the way you want it to take care of your garden.