How To Use A Chainsaw Correctly
How to start a chainsaw: preparing to start
Every master who has a chainsaw should know how to start it correctly. Initially, it should be noted that in order to start the tool, it must be filled with fuel. For this, not just gasoline is used, but a gasoline-oil mixture.
First you need to figure out how to properly prepare a gasoline-oil mixture. These proportions are naturally indicated in the instructions, but since few people read them, this issue should be considered in detail.
Gasoline of AI92 and higher brand is used as fuel. You will also need to use the appropriate oil, which can be purchased in the same place where the chainsaw was bought. The proportion of gasoline and oil is 1 to 50, after mixing which must be thoroughly mixed. In this case, the mixture should be prepared in a separate container (plastic bottle), since it is not only convenient to store the prepared fuel mixture in it, but it is also convenient to fill it into the tool tank through the small diameter of the gas tank hatch.
The prepared mixture should be poured into the fuel tank, the cap of which is indicated as an image of a gas station. This is very important, since chainsaws have two similar tanks. The second tank is intended for filling with oil, which is used to lubricate the bar and chain during the operation of the tool.
It is recommended to use a special brand or engine oil for a car as the oil for lubricating the chain, but in no case is it working off. If you see how your neighbor refills the working off into the chainsaw, then you should not repeat his mistakes, as this significantly reduces the service life of not only the chain, but also the tool itself.
It is always necessary to control the level of oil and fuel mixture in the tanks, but it is recommended to refuel as follows:
- The fuel-oil mixture is filled into the tank until it is full.
- At the same time, the chain oil is filled up to full.
- Consumption of oil and fuel mixture is approximately the same, therefore, it is recommended to fill both tanks at the same time.
How to start a chainsaw: starting features
Once the tool is ready to run, you can proceed. The process of starting a chainsaw is as follows:
- First, the chain tension is checked. It requires your hand to try to lift the middle chain links at the top of the bar. If the chain stretches with effort, then everything is in order, but if it is easy, then you need to tighten it. Do not overdo it, as excessive chain tension is also highly undesirable.
- Checking the chain for constriction. If, after tightening the chain, there are doubts about its constriction, then you can check the correctness by rotating it manually on the tire. The chain should rotate normally without tension.
- Installing the hand brake. The hand chain brake is located at the front near the upper handle to hold the tool. If you press the lever forward, then after starting the chain will not rotate, and when returned to the opposite position, the cutting product will begin to move. Before starting, put the tool on the brake.
- Fixing the tool on a level surface and starting. To prevent the tool from jerking when starting, you need to grip the upper handle with your left hand, and rest your right foot on the lower handle. The chainsaw is locked, now you can turn on the ignition button, extend the throttle valve, and then pull the starter handle 2 to 5 times. During the twitching of the handle, the engine should give the first flash 2-3 times, indicating that it is possible to push the throttle valve and start. It is necessary to pull the starter handle sharply, and then immediately return it to its original position, without holding it in an extended position.
- Removing the hand brake. As soon as the chainsaw starts, let it run for 1 minute without turning the chain with medium play. The engine will have time to warm up, after which it is necessary to release the hand brake. If a hot engine starts, then you can start work immediately after starting.
- Checking the presence of oil supply. To do this, you need to bring the file to a sheet of paper and turn it on, after which traces of oil should appear on it.
Having started the chainsaw, you can start sawing wood.
How to start a chainsaw: features of proper operation
Many people buy chainsaws for the first time without having experience with this tool. Despite this, there is no need to take special courses to learn how to use the tool. After the purchase, there is a great desire to quickly test the tool in work. To do this, be sure to first read the instruction manual for the tool, as well as safety precautions when working with a chainsaw. In the material, we will consider how to properly start a chainsaw, as well as work with it.
How to use a chainsaw correctly
Chainsaw operation is one of the most dangerous, therefore it is very important to control the location of the tire as far away from you as possible. Each subsequent action must be deliberate, otherwise the consequences in the form of serious injury cannot be avoided. If you have to work with a chainsaw, then you should know the following features:
- It is required to work exclusively in the appropriate work clothing: a protective helmet, headphones, a suit, gloves and shoes. This will increase the safety of the master several times.
- You need to hold the tool only with two hands, and with your feet take the appropriate position in the form of a reliable stop. Working while standing in an awkward position is strictly prohibited.
- Lean the tool against the wood with a moving chain at medium speed.
- Use extreme caution when sawing with the tip of the tire as there is a high probability of kickback.
- When working, exclude from the cutting area all unnecessary objects that can cause imbalance.
- If you are tired, then you need to muffle the instrument, allowing you to rest not only yourself, but also it.
- When working, the legs should be wide apart, and the back should be straight.
- You can cut wood not only with the lower part of the tire, but also with the upper one, only in this case it is important to know that the chain will lead in the appropriate direction.
- When moving from a chainsaw to another place, the tool should be muffled or put on the hand brake.
The above features are also suitable for sawing. It is better to do the work in tandem with a partner who can not only insure, but also replace you when you get tired. After all, working with such a tool is not easy, since in addition to physical strength, it also requires quick wits. Observing the above rules for working with a chainsaw, all types of manipulations performed will have a successful conclusion.
Another important condition for working with the tool is to ensure proper care of it. After completing the work, you should not throw the chainsaw at the workplace until the next time. It is necessary to clean it of sawdust and debris, check periodically the chain tension, as well as the fullness of the gas tank and oil tank. It is also important to monitor the clogging of the air filter.
It is not recommended to store the chainsaw with filled fuel for a long time, therefore it is better to drain it. It is necessary to replace the chain, tire and drive sprocket in a timely manner, as these are elements that wear out quickly.
In conclusion, it is important to note that over time the chain tends to stretch, which as a result leads to the fact that it cannot be pulled. If you observe such a property, then it is not recommended to continue to operate the tool until the cutting tool breaks at all or comes off the tire. If a person is not confident in his abilities, then it is better not to start sawing trees of large diameter.
The following things can happen during operation:
- The possibility of careless touching the saw headset of hands is great;
- Branches falling or chips bouncing towards the operator. Protective goggles will protect from bouncing branches, chips, dust.
- The contact of the tissues of the legs with the working chain. To reduce the likelihood of the leg tissue coming into contact with the running chain, wear thick, lined pants. Of course, they will not save you from prolonged contact, but they will become an excellent obstacle and if you quickly remove the saw from your leg, then there is a great opportunity not to injure her.
- Damage to the feet. To protect your feet, you need to purchase massive shoes, the toe of which has a metal insert. This is done for safety reasons, because the saw most often likes to slide exactly on this very part of the body.
- Head injury. A helmet will help here, it will save your head from a bounced headset and large branches.
When using, observe the following rules:
- The chainsaw must be held firmly in the hands, hands can be pressed closer to the body, so they get tired much less. The saw needs to be controlled.
- When cutting, never cut multiple logs at a time. It is forbidden to saw with the tip of the tire, since in this position it most often slips. The beam must be fixed and monitored so that nothing could pinch the chain.
- The position of the operator’s body should not be on the same plane as the operating chain. Do not lean too much, because you can easily lose your balance, which can lead to disastrous consequences.
- Most of the saw kickbacks occur when processing a tree, or rather when cutting branches. The kickback area of the tire may touch a branch or tree, resulting in the saw itself being kicked back.
- The chain saw is not designed to cut material above shoulder height. This method is strictly prohibited, since the consequences can be very serious. Your safety is in your hands.
How to saw correctly with a chainsaw
Hello dear subscribers and readers of Andrey Noak’s blog! Every summer resident or villager working with wood has a chainsaw in his arsenal. For example, at one time I sawn more than one timber truck for heating a house. When working with such a tool, it is very important to adhere to safety rules. And my goal today is to tell you how to saw correctly with a chainsaw. I still use the STIHL brand, so I’ll take its characteristics as a basis.
Although the operation of the saw may seem simple, it is still a traumatic tool and is dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced person. Awkward movements can lead to cuts or more serious injury.
Serviceability check and start
- To work with a chainsaw, be sure to read the instructions, since different models may differ slightly, but I follow the STIHL operating rules.
- Before starting the device, you need to activate the chain brake, which is located on the front of the housing. It must be squeezed forward. There is a plastic protector on the tire that needs to be removed.
- Press, if available, on the decompression valve. This will make it easier to start the chainsaw. If the device is equipped with a fuel pump, then you need to clamp it, which will reduce the number of pumping.
- A combination lever is located at the back of the body, in front of the handle, it should be set to the throttling or cold start position. To begin with, activate the throttle lever and its blocking and push the lever down to the end.
- Just before starting the engine, place the saw on a level surface so that the saw head does not touch the ground. This position will prevent unwanted dulling of the chain and injury to the operator. The chainsaw must be grasped by the starter rope and handle with both hands. In order for the device to stand firmly on the ground when starting up, you need to step on the back of the handle with your toes.
- After gripping the chainsaw firmly, slowly pull on the starter rope until you feel resistance. After that, we pull with force several times, until the engine starts shortly. It is important to keep the cable straight up to avoid rubbing against the fan housing.
- A throttle is located near the handle, the lever of which must be moved up to the half-throttle position. Now restart the engine and push the throttle lever. If everything is done correctly, the combination lever moves to the idle position.
- You can now lift the chainsaw off the ground. It is very important to do this carefully and not to touch the throttle lever. The motor runs, but the chain does not move, because we put the brake on before that. You can easily remove it, you need to pull the brake towards you until it clicks, while not releasing the handle with the same hand.
- To check if the chain is well lubricated, take a white sheet of paper or another light background, press full throttle. A good lubrication system will be indicated by oil stains that appear. Now you can start directly to work.
The saws use two-stroke engines, for which a gasoline-oil mixture must be used. It must be poured carefully, so as not to get on the body or the saw headset, in working conditions it is necessary to move away from the materials being cut at a distance of 5-6 m.
For high-quality work, only a well-sharpened chain is useful. When processing wood, it makes large sawdust and no force is applied to plunge into the material. You yourself will feel and see when it becomes dull, in particular, by the characteristic fine sawdust.
Check the tension regularly. To do this, turn the regulator until the chain slack is removed from the bottom of the tire. We take special protective gloves, lift the end of the bar and pull the chain. If it is correctly tensioned, it will not come out of the groove, but it will easily stretch from the movement of the hand.
The chain tension should be checked regularly to ensure safe saw operation. Often this is done after filling in the oil, and if you installed a new chain, then you will have to check it even more often until it is used up.
If you learn to saw correctly, working with a chainsaw becomes a pleasure. And you will save yourself and others from accidents.
If all the instructions above are followed, then you can start work. It is very important here that the operator has a firm grip on the saw with both hands. No need to slouch, but rather try to maintain balance. When tilting, you should not change the position of the body, but only bend your legs at the knees. If you need to move from one object to another, be sure to turn off the circuit.
Basic work of a chainsaw
The principle of operation of the chainsaw engine makes it possible to effectively perform the following activities:
- Sawing wood into pieces.
- Pruning branches.
- Felling trees.
There are three types of devices that differ in power, functionality and complexity of operation and maintenance:
- Household models with a simple configuration are designed for easy work, for cutting single trees and home preparation of firewood. Their mass is one of the smallest, thanks to which the chainsaw is quite convenient and simple in operation.
- The scope of semi-professional is much wider. They are often used in logging activities.
- Professional units are able to withstand ten, sixteen hours a day, without interruptions for seasons. These models are suitable for intensive felling.
The design of any chainsaw consists of the following elements:
- Chain. Links closed in a ring, for different models and tasks, may have a different pitch.
- Bar. A thin plate serves as a chain retainer. In household appliances, the cavity is filled with polyamide. Replaceable heads are provided for professionals. If the size is incorrectly selected, it will provoke rapid wear, increased fuel consumption, incorrect operation and serious damage.
- The chain wheel in conjunction with the two-stroke engine activates the chain.
It is worth noting that in the instructions for working with a chainsaw, you can find recommendations for replacing components, which should be followed strictly if you want to make the work safe, and the operating life of the equipment is maximum. The Chainsaw Guide will not only help you learn basic skills, but also familiarize you with the specifics of preparing a fuel mixture. The proportions of oil and gasoline are very important, as is the quality of the materials used.
How to use a chainsaw?
Before starting work, it is necessary to check the condition of the unit. It should be noted that safety precautions when working with a chainsaw also provide for the presence of overalls, shoes, gloves, helmets and goggles. It is also recommended not to hold the equipment straight in front of you. Try to position the chainsaw with your feet to the side of the cut line. In addition, the device must be held firmly, holding the handles with all fingers.
What to look for when choosing the best chainsaw option?
In addition to the main parameters of the device, the devices can have additional equipment that contributes to the comfortable operation of the chainsaw:
- Weight-to-power ratio.
- Availability of auxiliary and protective devices.
- Anti-vibration system.
- Easy start.
- Adjustable carburetor.
How to use a chainsaw correctly?
The most powerful, productive and popular unit for wood processing is a chainsaw. It is worth noting that working with a chainsaw has a number of distinctive characteristics and safety rules that must be strictly observed in order to avoid injury. Before proceeding to the practical part, it is worth familiarizing yourself with the device and the principle of operation of the equipment in order to understand all the subtleties of operation.
How to properly cut a tree with a chainsaw
Now let’s figure out how to cut down a tree with a chainsaw. The first thing to start with is cleaning the small growth around the trunk. This is a necessary procedure, since small branches not only interfere with access to the tree, but can also cause the operator to fall, which is quite dangerous, given that the chainsaw is working.
Next, you need to decide on the direction of the roll. It is not difficult to determine the direction of felling a tree standing on a slope, since almost always it is laid in the direction to which the center of gravity is shifted.
This is interesting: in order to dump a tree in the direction opposite to the slope, professional fellers use special heavy equipment, or they tie a cable to the top of the tree, and use a winch to pull the trunk in the right direction.
An upright tree can be felled in any direction, but you should consider the location of the branches. Dumping the trunk on the side with more branches is a little easier than on the opposite.
At the next stage, a cut is made from the direction of the roll. The cut is performed in the form of a wedge. The depth of the cut should not exceed 1/3 of the diameter of the barrel, otherwise there is a risk that the tire will be pinched, since the barrel will weaken and tilt towards the cut. Correctly executed gash should not cause the tree to tilt.
Further, on the opposite side of the gash and 3-5 cm above it, a straight incision is made. The chainsaw should be oriented so that the risk of windrowing on the chainsaw is directed towards the expected fall point. After that, with the help of a wedge, fork or felling blade set in the cut, the tree is helped to start falling in the planned direction.
Below is how to cut down a tree.
How to cut a thick tree with a chainsaw
There are several ways to cut down a thick tree, and all of them require the use of special equipment. The first method is felling a tree in parts.This method is shown below.
Cutting thick trees is more difficult, so you shouldn’t try and risk your health if you didn’t have to cut down trees before.
Another way is to fell the whole tree with the trunk stretching in the desired direction. The cable is fixed on the trunk at a height of at least 5-6 meters, after which a wedge is cut from the side of the planned fall of the trunk and the cable is pulled. You can pull the cable using a winch, a tractor or a car. Next, the feller cuts the trunk from the side opposite to the sawn wedge. If the length of the tire is not enough, then another cut is made at a height of at least 30 cm from the previous one, after which the wood between the cuts affects. This is necessary in order for the feller to be able to deepen the tire to a greater distance.
It should be noted that the process of felling thick trees is highly individual and depends on many factors. It is for this reason that cutting down a large tree without experience is very difficult and dangerous.
In order not to get injured when cutting a tree, the feller must always choose the correct position. The correct location is such that the feller can get away from danger at any time. For this reason, before felling trees, the operator must clear all small growth that could trip or fall over. During felling, the saw must be held with both hands and be in the area opposite to the one where the tree is planned to fall.
Preparation for work
The first thing to start working with a chainsaw is to assemble it. The assembly scheme of various models is practically the same. A saw bar and a chain are installed on the saw, the chain is tensioned.
Next, you need to check the sharpening of the chain; for this, the cutting edge of each working tooth is visually inspected. The edges should be even, without dents and notches.
The next step is refueling the chainsaw. The fuel mixture is prepared in a certain proportion, which can be found out by reading the owner’s manual supplied with the saw. Basically, the fuel mixture is diluted in a ratio of 1:50, that is, for one liter of AI-92 gasoline, it is necessary to add 20 grams of oil for two-stroke engines.
Important: when pouring fuel and oil for lubricating the chain into the tanks, you must be extremely careful and not confuse. If you fill the fuel mixture tank with oil, the chainsaw will not work. To restore performance, you will need to flush the fuel tank with gasoline, and also clean the fuel line and carburetor, which is quite difficult.
How to use a chainsaw correctly
A chainsaw is a technically difficult and dangerous tool, for this reason, when working with a saw, certain rules must be followed. Inexperienced users often treat the work with a chainsaw with less attention and break the rules, this leads to injury to the operator or breakdown of the tool.
In this article, we will consider how to properly prepare a chainsaw for work, what are the rules and methods for felling and sawing trees, we will tell you about how to saw correctly with a chainsaw, we will dwell on safety.
In order to dump a tree in a certain direction, professional fellers and not only use special tools. The most common of these are felling forks, wedges and paddles. Special hydraulic or mechanical jacks can also be used.
In order to have an idea about felling jacks, we recommend that you look in which it is shown how, with the help of this device, a lumberjack cuts and places a pine tree in the direction he needs.
Felling blades work on the wedge principle, only they have a lever, thanks to which the operator can increase the force and help the tree to fall in the desired direction. The principle of operation of a felling blade or else it is called a lever can be found by looking below.
Three classes of devices
Currently, a large number of chainsaws can be found on the Russian market, which can be divided into three classes:
- The first class includes simple household devices that are designed for simple household needs. Most often, these chainsaws have low power, but they do very well with all their duties. With the help of such a chainsaw, you can cut down a rotten tree or prepare firewood for a bath. Despite the fact that the functionality of such saws is minimal, this is easily compensated by the ergonomic control and their low weight.
- The second class includes the so-called semi-professional models that are capable of performing almost any work. From repair and construction tasks to felling trees. But at the same time, such models have one significant drawback. They are not designed to work for 8-10 hours a day. It is for this reason that they are called semi-professional. The most common use of these saws by lumberjacks is as a delimber.
- The third class includes professional saws, which are an excellent solution for people who specialize in deforestation. Such devices can be used for 10-15 hours a day, while allowing them to work without interruption for 8-10 hours.
The principle of sawing wood
Sawing with a chainsaw is necessary at full throttle. The cut should be done with a section of the tire as close to the body as possible. Remember to use different sawing methods for different materials.
Preparation for work
First, you need to make sure that the chain of the device is tensioned correctly, for which you need to slightly pull on the upper links. While the shank should come out of the groove of the tire a few millimeters. Also, you need to ensure that the lower links do not sag. After that, try to pull the chain with your hand. It should stretch easily. If the chain tension is too strong, then loosen it. Next, you need to check in what position the inertial brake is located. Its handle and the main handle should not touch, since when you turn on the chainsaw with an offset inertial brake, the clutch may be damaged.
After checking the chain tension, you can start threading the tool. To do this, the chainsaw must be installed on a horizontal surface and filled with chain oil and a fuel mixture. The best option is considered to be a fuel mixture made from oil intended for two-stroke engines and A-92 or A-95 gasoline. The ratio of gasoline and oil should be 1 to 40 or 1 to 50 (about 20-25 grams of oil per liter of gasoline).
For the motor and chain, you should choose a special lubricant designed for chainsaws, since such a lubricant contains components that can prolong the life of the cutting element and engine parts. At the end of the check, following all the procedures described above, you can start the saw.
Remember that before starting the engine, remove the saw from the place where it was refueled so that there is no fire hazard when starting. Place it on a stable, solid base.
Basic principles of work
If you have never worked with a chainsaw and have no experience with it, you need to understand the basic principles of working with this tool:
- Hold the saw with both hands, grasping the handles with all fingers. In this case, the thumb of the left hand should be under the front grip;
- During work, it is impossible to stand directly behind the saw, it is advisable to be slightly to the side of the tool;
- Sawing can be done both with the lower and upper edges of the tool. If you cut with the bottom edge, the chain will guide the saw away from you, and if you cut with the top edge, the chain will move the saw towards you;
- When using the chainsaw, try not to bend your back, instead bending your knees. When working with the saw in a standing position, it is recommended to keep your legs wide apart to maintain balance;
- Before moving to another location, the saw brake must be applied or the tool motor turned off. You cannot move with a tool with a chain rotating;
- Sawing should start with the section of the tire closest to the tool body;
- In the event that you are going to work with a chainsaw often, it is imperative to purchase a set of protective clothing: a helmet with a mask, a bright protective jacket that does not allow air to pass through, special pants with cut protection, strong gloves and strong boots, which should be protected if possible steel plates.
After making sure that the chain is not in contact with any surfaces, you must apply the chain brake by moving the brake lever away from you so that the chain does not start its rotation ahead of time. Since the engine is initially cold, it is necessary to fully extend the lever that controls the choke. Next, you should thread the toe of your foot into the rear handle, while holding the front handle with your hand, and pull the handle several times until the engine “sneezes”. Then it is necessary to move the air damper to the working position and start the saw by briefly pressing the throttle and transferring the saw to idle. After that, you need to move the brake lever to the position for yourself and your chainsaw is ready to work.
- Before starting work, be sure to check the chainsaw brake, for which you need to install it on some flat surface and press the throttle. Next, you need to activate the brake by pressing the handle. The brake is considered working if the chain stops.
- Among other things, the lubrication mechanism must be checked before starting work. To do this, you need to find any bright surface, start the tool and, holding it above this surface, increase the speed of the chain by simply pressing the throttle. If a small strip of oil appears on the surface, then everything is in order with the lubrication mechanism.
Chainsaw operation: first start, safety precautions, instructions
Before you buy a good chainsaw, you need to find as much information as possible about this tool and carefully study the principles of working with it. If you choose the right chainsaw that fully meets your requirements, and learn how to work with it, then working with a chainsaw will give you pleasure, while remaining completely safe.