How to use the brushcutter correctly
Check the engine type of your machine. Grass trimmers are equipped with either a 2 or 4-stroke motor. Get the correct oil for the type of motor. Gasoline for the grass trimmer is AI-92/93/98, sold at all gas stations. Mix oil with gasoline. Mineral oil is mixed at a ratio of 1: 34 with gasoline, synthetic oil at 1: 50. Follow the grass trimmer manufacturer’s recommendations for oil viscosity (cf. Look at the label on the jar.). Most oils used are multigrade 5W-30. Do not use unapproved lubricants. Pour a small amount (e.g. 0.5 liters) of the resulting fuel into the tank. Close the air damper by sliding the desired lever (see. instructions). Turn the ignition key (or crank) to the “on” position. without this the grass trimmer will not start. Beginners often make this mistake. Pump some fuel into the carburetor. if there is a manual “rocker” with a separate button or lever (see. instructions)
Four to seven strokes are necessary. Place the grass trimmer on a level surface. Pull the starter cord gently until you feel it stall. Then pull it out quickly, but not completely
Repeat this motion up to 4 more times. If the engine does not start, open the air damper again, otherwise the spark plugs will be flooded with gasoline when you move the cord further. Make 2-3 attempts to start the motor with the hand lever open. If the engine still fails to start, close the choke and make a few more attempts to start it. After starting the engine, press the throttle lever, engaging the idle speed.
Unstable carburetor operation
Unstable motor behavior manifests itself in one of the following ways:
- the engine crashes or fails to start;
- the engine starts and runs. but after one or more minutes it stops.
- Insufficient or no fuel injection;
- Incorrect dosage of gasoline and oil (for trimmers with a 4-stroke motor);
- you have made the wrong mixture (for 2-stroke engines);
- you have disrupted the factory settings with the regulating screws on the carburetor.
“Treatment” of the unit from this malfunction. replacement of the worn out carburetor or cleaning its parts from fouling and tar. After flushing, the valve train often needs readjustment. This is where you’ll need special wrenches and feelers to set the normal valve clearance. If the cause of the failure, however, is not in the engine. check the ignition system. Then start the engine, without deviating from the instructions above.
There are cases when even a complete cleaning and rebuilding of the engine does not give results. The engine still stalls no matter what you do. The reason is a violation of the fuel supply adjustment with one of the screws on the carburetor. The engine occasionally shuts off because it is not getting enough gasoline. If you turn the screw in the opposite direction, the engine will smoke unburned gasoline and soot, and the smell of burning will be overpowering. In this case, contact a service center for motorcycle repair.
The second screw, which controls the idle speed, is not critical. You can adjust the idle speed to suit your preference.
Types of line trimmers
There are quite a lot of them today, so everyone can make a choice based on their own needs. Cordless grass trimmers with a fishing line are designed for people who want to work independently of a power source, they are the most popular. Examples include:
- Champion TB400. cordless grass trimmer. Has a telescopic boom, compact size and light weight, only 2.8 kilograms. The limiting bracket is provided to prevent damage to useful plants;
- Gardena PowerCut Li-40/30. Professional tool that can even tackle wet lawns. The ability to adjust the head to work at an angle in hard-to-reach places deserves extra attention.
Gasoline grass trimmers are more expensive, they need regular charging, but it pays off at the expense of high power and the possibility of long-term work on the site without reference to the power source:
- Partner B305 CBS. Has considerable power, despite its low weight. Allows you to tidy up green spaces without harming them by minimizing exhaust emissions. Grass blade and TapGo trimmer head with semi-automatic function as cutting tools.
Most modern trimmers can be equipped with an optional fishing line head. There are four types of spin trimmer heads:
- Automatic heads automatically feed the thread when the throttle reaches a certain speed;
- semi-automatic heads advance the string when you push the spindle head to the ground when the throttle is turned on;
- Manual heads require that you turn off the grass trimmer before pulling or unwinding the string to advance it;
- Fixed line heads do not advance the strings. Instead, you use pre-cut strings to replace.
The main features of gasoline trimmers
Gasoline grass trimmers and brush cutters are more versatile units, because they work on gasoline and do not depend on electricity. Safety precautions when working with a grass trimmer. How to hold a grass trimmer correctly. There are 2 main versions of brushcutters on the market, including 2 and 4-stroke. Usually, the grass trimmer works on the basis of the consistency of oil and gasoline 2-stroke. These units are the least powerful, but even they can be used as a shrub trimmer. Gasoline trimmer for grass 4-stroke differs more power, with gasoline and machine oil filled in such a unit separately. In most of the most favorite models can be filled at the same time benzokoso less than 2, 2 liters of gasoline. Such a grass trimmer is significantly stronger than the electronic, because it runs on gasoline and has a more powerful motor. In the use of a very comforteon backpack trimmer for grass, working on gasoline, because it has a special attachment. The obvious advantages of gasoline trimmers include:
- no electrical cables;
- the highest power;
- The ability to cope with thick snags and grass;
- The ability to work in all weather criteria;
Disadvantages of gasoline trimmers also enough, so that the choice of such a device should be carefully. This machine is a huge weight and significantly more difficult in terms of storage and maintenance, because it should be cleaned from time to time. In addition, gasoline grass trimmers are more humming and release combustion products into the air. In addition to everything else, gasoline trimmers are more expensive than electronic.
Despite the fact that most types of gasoline brushcutter has a fairly large size, wheel trimmer for grass of this type can be used even by ladies. Complete sets of gasoline trimmers can be different, with the fact that they are often universal, because they are accompanied by a huge number of sets and knives, which allow you to do different jobs in the garden.
How to mow grass with a line trimmer?
Practical garden tools are becoming increasingly popular. With the purchase of a new helper, the questions of how to properly mow the grass with a trimmer with a fishing line are inevitable. To begin with, it is a great addition to an existing lawnmower. It can be trusted with large areas, and the finish work is done by a grass trimmer with a fishing line. Let’s specify, the line for the trimmer is designed to cut weeds and delicate branches. For rougher work, models equipped with metal blades or a chain are used.
Safety precautions during work
Technique of the trimmer with a string and a disc has some differences. So, a line trimmer cuts the grass at the very end, but if you move too fast, the entire length is involved. As a result, the stems are not cut, and the grass is wound up on the cord, which overloads the engine. Therefore, it is necessary to choose the optimal speed of wiring. Also, when mowing tall and tough grass, trimmer lines are consumed faster than when mowing the lawn.
There are a few simple guidelines that make mowing more efficient and effective.
- Trimmer with the engine below is convenient to mow garden paths, flower beds and the edges of lawns. The plane of rotation of the spool of such a device can be perpendicular to the ground.
- Dense thickets, large weeds, bushes should be mowed with discs or special attachments.
- When mowing large areas, the machine should be tilted to the left, in the direction of swing.
- To cut the grass around flower beds, bushes and other objects, you should turn the grass trimmer head with the hood towards them. This way you can mow the objects themselves without damaging them.
Remember, the bobbin or disc must not touch the ground or any obstacle except grass and twigs to be cut.
When working with brushcutters, there are a few basic safety precautions.
- Do not use the trimmer in rain or high humidity.
- Keep people and animals at least 15 m away from the cutting head: grass clippings, small debris and stones may fly out from under the cutting head at high speed and cause injuries.
- The grass trimmer operator should wear thick clothing that completely covers his hands and feet.
- Wear safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, closed shoes, ear defenders or ear plugs.
- The wire of the power grass trimmer must be behind the mower.
So, the use of handheld devices for mowing grass allows you to maintain order on a small area. It is more convenient to use a mower on large areas. In addition, the grass trimmer is useful for making hay and tidying up the area: small grass clippings can mulch strawberries and other useful plants. You can visually see the process of mowing with this tool on the video.
Unlike a disc. mowing with a corded trimmer is safer, but not always optimal. As they say, it is worth choosing a cutting system for your area of work or to use complete systems, where you can operate both a disc and a line for your trimmer, setting the first and the second if necessary.
As we have already written, the lawnmower with a fishing line can be automatic, semi-automatic and manual. In the first case, the cutting element “ejects” itself after each new start of the machine. It’s very convenient, but not economical enough if, for example, your area is irregularly shaped, has corners, jagged edges, and you have to switch on and off the machine repeatedly during the long transition to each of these areas.
It is important for the operator to understand that the length of the line ends that he sees in front of him when extended is exactly the diameter that the device will mow. You can read about how to thread a line in a reel in one of our articles, but the main thing to remember is that the length of line ends should be optimal for good mowing.
How to mow with a chainsaw correctly? This should be done so that it will serve you as long as possible:
- Keep the spool 10 cm above the ground;
- When working with tall grass. mow it at the top, and then already at the stem, in order to protect yourself from its winding up on the device;
- Always drive the machine in the same direction as the spool rotates;
- Lawn grass, especially near walls and garden décor, should be mowed with the tip of the line so as not to overload the engine;
- Take a break every 15 minutes.
You’ll find any answers to your questions about mowers in this section of the site, but we’re also happy to offer lawn mower parts among our other range of gasoline tools.
High grass can ideally be mowed with a powerful trimmer with a thick fishing line. But, agree, the land where the weeds grow. not always smooth, often landowners on the plots there are bushes and all kinds of debris, stones, etc. To avoid wasting expensive equipment, it’s better to mow in two passes.
If you are preparing grass for hay, and you know the condition of the ground to a greater or lesser degree, then you can predict your work more easily. Any grass trimming device can work with tall bushes;. Any grass trimming device can work with tall bushes. The main thing is not to hurry, and to approach the process with confidence, as we demonstrate in the practical video.
- Do not overload the machinery;
- If the grass gets tangled, turn off the machine immediately;
- Never mow wet grass, not even with a petrol-powered trimmer.
Buy grass trimmer spool, knives and disks. you can always at us, in store KosiKosa.
Grass Trimmer Usage Rules
In addition to the mandatory adjustment and running-in before starting work, you need to observe a number of rules to mowing was comfortable, the result. the best, and the service life of the device. long.
Using a belt
Before you start the grass trimmer, you need to attach the belt to the assembled and ready to work device. fastened to the boom with a metal loop. This attachment is designed to withstand heavy and prolonged strain. Some models allow the strap to be placed on one shoulder, others on both shoulders (backpack type straps). When mowing large areas, your arms and back get tired from the weight of the device, but if you wear the belt correctly, you can reduce the load and prevent muscle and joint pain.
For this task, you need a cord as lawn grass is softer than normal. First you should make sure that there is no large debris, branches, wires, stumps and irregularities on the treated area. The lawn must be cut evenly, i.e. the height of the grass must be the same in all parts of the lawn. To mow correctly with a line trimmer you need to keep it level with the ground, smoothly from right to left all the time, without rushing. You can divide the area into squares and cut them one after the other. It is recommended to move from one to the other in a clockwise direction.
Tip! If you need a lawn of minimum height, the angle of the device to the ground should be at least 30 degrees, so that the line for the trimmer almost touches the surface. Mistakes can be removed manually with a garden shears.
The grass should not be too fine, so mow right down to the root. It is better to mow with a disc, because meadow grass is tougher than grass, and a line for a trimmer can not cope with it. The grass trimmer should be lowered as low as possible, trying to mow strips of equal length. It is best to mow around large sturdy weeds and bushes to prevent damage to the disc. Similar to a lawn trimmer, it should be trimmed from right to left.
Mow high grass
In this case, you need to move the trimmer from side to side twice to remove the height of the grass, and then mow it under the root. It may take three or more movements. it depends on the length of the stems. It is best to cut tough grass at the base with a disc.
Important! It is better not to cut high grass directly to the root. the stems can wrap around the trimmer line and overload the motor.
Mowing wet grass
Working with an electric tool during or after rain is dangerous! Moisture can cause a short circuit in the motor, the grass trimmer may burn out, and a person may get an electric shock. Dew is also a risk, especially with low-mounted models and line-driven models that require an extension cord. It is safe to cut wet grass with a brushcutter, though low-rated petrol models should always be protected from rain.
Important! Check the manual to see whether a particular trimmer model is approved for wet grass. Any grass trimmer that is wet should be thoroughly dried before mowing.
Setting the spindle speed is only possible on gasoline-powered machines. This option is used for different types of work:
- low speeds are suitable for mowing lawns;
- medium. for tall grass and thin shrubs;
- High. for cutting thick branches and bushes.
How long the grass trimmer can mow for
Apparatus with an electric motor can operate for up to 20 minutes at a time. Then turn off the machine for the same amount of time to allow the motor to cool down. The battery charge should be checked periodically.
Lawn trimmers can run for up to 40 minutes or even up to an hour without a break to cool the engine. Then they must be switched off for 10-20 minutes. How long a lawn mower will run depends on the size of its fuel tank.
It’s not unreasonable to make sure you have safety gear before you start working. For the most part, it’s safe to operate a grass trimmer, but there’s always the possibility that the machine will start throwing debris. At the very least, wear safety glasses and close-fitting clothing. Long pants and thick gloves are just right. Before you start, it’s a good idea to inspect your grass trimmer to make sure it’s in good working order.
How to use the trimmer when trimming the lawn
It would seem that what can be easier than to cut the grown grass with a hand trimmer for grass? But in reality, it’s not that simple, if only because if you lack experience, working with a string trimmer can cause significant damage to both the grass/ lawn of the garden or lawn in front of your house, and the surrounding. That’s why we decided to tell you a few secrets of how to use a trimmer that will make your lawn look well groomed and professional.
How to attach a disc or fishing line to your trimmer
Attaching the cutting attachment to the actuator. The attachment point is called the gearbox. The disk or spool can be inserted in the shaft easily. The principle of fixing the cutting discs on the trimmer is as follows:
- First attach the shaped washer by using the hexagonal key
- Place the disc on the shaft
- Then place the top washer and tighten it with the clamping nut
- The nut is tightened by means of a special socket wrench, which is included with each tool
- Turn the nut in counterclockwise direction
- When rotating, the shaft must be jammed with an Allen key
Removing and replacing the disc on the trimmer is done in the opposite sequence. details on how to mount the spool of fishing line on the lawnmower can be found in this material.
Protective equipment when working with a brushcutter (trimmer)
Tip: This article does not supersede the instructions in the use and safety manual. Always read the product manual before use and observe safety precautions.
To work safely with a brushcutter (trimmer), you will need:
- Eye protection (mesh shield or goggles, or better yet, use both);
- Long, sturdy pants (your shins are in close proximity to the knife or fishing line, so must be protected);
- Boots with non-slip soles (preferably with a steel toe);
- Soft gloves (for protection and vibration absorption);
Blades for brushcutters (grass trimmer)
When working with a brushcutter we can use a trimmer line. However, the real advantage (in addition to the great power of the engine), is the ability to equip it with metal blades.
Different types of trimmer blades are designed to cut different types of vegetation:
- Knife with 8 or fewer teeth: grass and weeds;
- Knife with 9-40 teeth: thick weeds and bushes;
- Saw blades with more than 40 teeth: small trees and young seedlings;
When replacing the blade, be sure to use gloves.
Each blade has the size (diameter) of the seating hole in the center. Usually it is 2.5 cm, but there are different cases. Therefore, refer to the instruction manual for the exact size on your trimmer.
There may also be a punctured ignition coil in the electrical system. In this case, the lawn mower does not start or starts and works intermittently, and then shuts down or does not start on a “hot” condition.
Check the coil can be checked in the same way as when checking the spark: unscrew the spark plug, lean it against the body of the grass trimmer. If there is no spark when the starter jerk, or it appears intermittently. it is necessary to change the coil.
If everything is all right with the electrical system, then check the carburetor.
Grass trimmers are equipped with vacuum carburetors. When disassembling, cleaning or flushing it, you need to be extremely careful. in no case disassemble the lower part of the carburetor, where the primer is. The air filter (it is visible if you remove the protective cover from the carburetor) should be washed with detergents. Best for washing dishes. After drying, we put it back. We flush the carburetor with clean gasoline and blow out all the holes with a pump. We also wash the gas pipe filter, then dry and assemble everything. Usually after all the manipulation, the grass trimmer begins to work.
Thin rope instead of fishing line. is it worth putting it on a brushcutter??
This thought occurs to almost everyone who has had to mow 10 acres overgrown with tall grass. At first glance, this seems like a good idea. Cables are stronger than fishing line and won’t wear out as much. But it is not that simple.
Running-in of a Chinese lawn mower and operating issues. Practice
In this video we will point out the most common mistake when running-in gasoline and chain saws. Spare parts.
Running-in of the Chinese lawnmower and operating issues. Practice
I continue to share my first impressions about tatra brushcutter. In this video I will briefly talk about the first start.
First start-up and running-in of the Tatra BCU-73 brush
How to run-in lawnmowers and chainsaws correctly.
mechanical. to stand and store gasoline for work not in a metal container and not longer than 1 (one) month, otherwise it oxidizes and loses its properties;
chemical. do not mix additives and admixtures (they have different rates, degrees and temperatures of combustion). Old gasoline turns yellow or red, and the impurities have pungent odors of bitterness (like creosote) or acid (like methyl alcohol).
The fuel mix ratio is 1:50 (2%) or 20 ml/cm3 of oil per 1 liter of gasoline. For example, pour half a measure of gasoline into a clear plastic bottle (1 liter), then inject the two-stroke oil with a medical syringe (20 ml/cm3) and mix, add gasoline and mix thoroughly. If gasoline quality is doubtful or working conditions are difficult, you may increase oil quantity to 22-25 ml/cm3. Shake the mixture before each refueling! Do not store the fuel for more than two weeks! If the color of a mix has changed (from color of a sea wave became, for example, brown), then it is not recommended to use it!
Now we start the lawnmower running-in
After starting do not rush to run in the grass trimmer immediately. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes to warm up. While the machine is warming up adjust the airflow with the choke knob so that the line or blade bobbin does not rotate. As soon as the tool is warmed up open the air supply fully by moving the lever to the “ON” position and squeeze the throttle trigger 1/2 way and keep it there for about 2030 seconds. Then turn off the gas and let the trimmer work for 30 to 40 seconds at idle. Keep it this way for 1015 minutes. Then stop the engine and let it rest for 1520 minutes.
After the lawn mower has cooled down, continue running in the engine according to the previous scheme. Start the grass trimmer while it is hot with the choke open. Try not to hold the gas for a long time, because moving parts of the tool are only lapping. And do not let the engine idle for long periods as it can overheat.
The next step is running in the gearbox of the lawnmower. For this purpose it is necessary to choose a site with soft young grass. Drive it for 5 to 10 minutes, starting 1/2 to 2/3 of the full throttle. After a break of 2025 minutes. Repeat this cycle 3 to 4 times.
Generally running in of lawnmower by described above procedure is made until fuel mixture in the tank is completely used. After that the tool is ready for continuous work. Monitor the temperature of the gearbox and motor during operation. They should not overheat.
Servicing the brushcutter (grass trimmer)
Engine. The air filter must always be clean (no dirt or sawdust); the foam filter should be moistened with oil. The fuel filter should be checked once a week, in the case of intensive use of the tool, if necessary, in time to replace. Check nuts and screws for tightness. before starting work. Clean the muffler (or muffler gauze) and plug as necessary.
Cutting blades. Cutting edges must be well and correctly sharpened using the necessary templates and files (emery boards), observing the cutting angles depending on the brand of disc. Turn double-sided discs regularly by 180° and wear evenly. Dull or badly or improperly sharpened disc will not cut well and may overload the motor which results in premature reduction of motor service life.
Trimmer line and trimmer heads. Use only mowing line specially designed for trimmer. do not use wire or metal cords! Only use a line of the same diameter as recommended by the manufacturer. Wind the bobbin tightly but without crossing the coils. Clean the mowing head of dirt and lubricate if necessary. A worn or deformed head can damage the gearbox and/or shaft of the brushcutter.
Angular gearbox. As necessary clean it from dirt (such “fur” doesn’t let the gearbox cool properly) and apply Husqvarna or similar grease to the pair of reducers.
Protective guards. It is forbidden to work without a safety guard: it is dangerous for the life of the operator and other people nearby and can overload the brushcutter engine. Use only a different protective cover for each type of cutting equipment, as specified by the manufacturer.
Do-it-yourself brushcutter repair
It should be noted that it is not always possible to repair brushcutters yourself, but in most cases, small repairs are within everyone’s power.
If your weed trimmer motor breaks and you’re not an auto mechanic or electrician, it’s best not to try to repair the mechanism. It may be impossible to reassemble the machine. There can be such problems: low compression in the engine, the engine is jammed, the carburetor is out of order. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, don’t try to repair your brushcutter by picture and intuition.
It should be noted that the maintenance and repair of chainsaws and brushcutters are similar in many ways.
trimmer for grass consists of a rod, a motor (can be on top or bottom), and a mowing head with blades, various additional elements. What can be repaired by yourself?
air flap; 2. handle; 3. engine stop device; 4. throttle control lever;
limiter bracket; 6. boom; 7. cutter guard;
1) If the on/off toggle switch is stuck, and you’re familiar with simple wiring diagrams and are good with soldering iron, solder, and rosin, you can easily replace the toggle switch with a new one. They are sold in stores of electrical equipment and lighting equipment.
2) If the wire stop has fallen off the mowing head, it may be taped to the boom with flexible copper or aluminum wire. You could also make a new attachment out of a strip of stainless steel.
3) If a trimmer line breaks on the cutting head reel, it couldn’t be any easier than replacing it yourself. You can buy a brushcutter head separately and replace it, but a line for your trimmer is definitely cheaper. Optimal material here is a 0.9 to 1.5 mm trimmer line, nylon or kapron. Measure the diameter of the line you’re using right away, before it runs out completely. Thinner grease may tear or thicker grease may cause the engine to overheat and vibrate unnecessarily. You need to disassemble the reel and wind the line for the trimmer by hand, then reassemble the reel.
4) If the bar breaks, it can also be repaired by taping and gluing it to wooden laths or iron brackets.
5) If it starts to vibrate a lot and the engine feels “rough”, you may need to lubricate your brushcutter. Any trimmer for grass is easy to disassemble, lubricate it with technical oil at least once a year.
7) If the grass trimmer is equipped with plastic blades and they are deformed for some reason, there is a way to replace them with metal ones. To do this, you need to make several knives of stainless steel. At home it is a bit difficult, but the situation can be saved by a familiar turner, working at an industrial enterprise or factory. The blades are attached to the shaft by a sleeve with a washer. This modernization will lead to the fact that the trimmer will be possible to mow grass of any hardness. But caution when handling such a trimmer is worth increasing.
8) The engine won’t start? To start the mower, sometimes even a hot one, you may need to close the choke completely to enrich the mixture. Check gasoline intake, clean, replace glow plug if necessary.