How To Use The Manual Roller Video Tile Cutter
How to use a tile cutter: instructions for the user
The tile cutter is an essential device for proper tile installation. Varieties of tile cutters are described. A sequence of actions and useful recommendations for working with a manual and electric tile cutter are given.
How to use a manual tile cutter correctly
Before how to use a manual tile cutter, it is necessary to check its condition. All parts must be undamaged, the cutting roller must rotate without jamming. Its surface must be of the correct round shape, without burrs and dents. The movement of the carriage with it should also be carried out without jerking and jamming. As a rule, for these purposes, a radial bearing is provided in the design of a manual tile cutter. It is also worth checking the condition of the bed; before working with the tile cutter, it is necessary to clean its surface from visible dirt.
- The tile surface is marked with an ordinary construction pencil according to the required dimensions.
- The tile is positioned on the bed of the cutter so that the marked line of the cut coincides with the trajectory of the carriage on which the cutter roller is fixed. It is important that the distance to the cut from the edge of the tile is at least 10 mm, otherwise you will get a sloppy edge.
- The carriage is guided along the line with slight pressure. It is important at the moment to feel the required amount of pressure so as not to push through the tile, but also to get a cut of the required depth so that the glaze of the tile is cut. It is allowed to run the roller over the tile surface only once, otherwise the cut may turn out to be uneven.
- Now the handle of the tile cutter turns to the working position, the field of which is lowered with a sharp and confident movement, as a result, the tile is gently broken along the previously obtained cut.
Experts advise to soak ceramic tiles in water before cutting. A drop of machine oil applied along the mowing line of the cut also makes the cut easier. You can also read an article on how to cut tiles with and without a tile cutter.
And for a more detailed analysis of the use of a manual tile cutter, I recommend looking (using the Walmer tile cutter as an example).
And one more thing (for example, the RUBI TX-N tile cutter).
It will be convenient to work with a manual tile cutter if the volume of work is not too large, and the hardness of the tile is small or medium. For sturdier tiles, consider using an electric tile cutter.
Design fundamentals and technological capabilities
Tile cutter Is a generalized name for construction tools for straight, curved or even curved tile cutting. The classification of the variety of these tools is based on the type of driving motion. So, tile cutters can be:
- Mechanized or electric.
Manual tile cutter consists of a base. Beds, carriages with a roller and a handle. It resembles an ordinary glass cutter in its principle of operation. The cutting roller cuts the glaze of the tile. At this moment, it is clamped in the body according to the principle of pliers. Once the glaze is cut, the tiles break off along it. To obtain a smoother and more accurate cut, guides are used that expose the tile clamping field. Sometimes manual tile cutter the tabletop version can be used to produce round holes.
Electric tile cutter. A device equipped with an electric drive that drives the diamond cutting disc in rotation. The principle of operation of this version of the tile cutter is similar to a circular saw. Ceramic tiles move along the guide to obtain an even and accurate cut. One of the varieties of a mechanized tile cutter is a tape cutter, equipped with a diamond tape. To cool the tiles, water is supplied to the cutting area, which also rinses off the cutting products.
In order to properly cut ceramic tiles, you need to know how to use the tile cutter correctly.
How to use a tile cutter: instructions for the user
Renovations are often associated with the laying of ceramic tiles. In the kitchen, bathroom and toilet. The main task is to gently glue it to the wall or floor so that you get a flat surface, without drops and pits. This will require a building level, as well as tile cutter, with which it is necessary to cut the tiles exactly to size.
Tile cutting as part of tiling
Laying ceramic tiles on the surface of the floor or wall only in rare cases does without cutting it, much more often the master keeps a tile cutter at the ready, which he can use at any time during the facing work.
So, our article is especially for those who are currently engaged in or are just planning to cover surfaces with ceramic tiles, but have not yet decided on the choice of the most suitable tile cutter model and does not know the correct cutting technology.
It is known that glazed ceramic tiles are made of fired clay, covered with a layer of glaze on top. The technology for the production of ceramic tiles is very simple: the clay is shaped and dried to fix the volume. After applying the glaze, the product is fired in the oven, due to which it acquires special strength, durability and a beautiful aesthetic appearance. In finished form, as you yourself know, the tile is not subject to deformation and bending, although it is very fragile and pricks easily.
All these properties and characteristics of the tile become the head of the choice of a certain method of cutting it. Let us dwell in more detail on the basic methods of cutting ceramic tiles and talk about how to use a tile cutter at home for small amounts of work.
How to use a tile cutter. Tongs
Cutting with a hand-held tile cutter requires little work and easy cuts. This inexpensive, small-sized device will allow you to do a given amount of work without much effort at home.
Cutting begins with a traditional line, which is followed by a cutting wheel mounted on a pliers. The tile cutter is equipped with a slightly wider circle than a conventional glass cutter, allowing a deeper cut in the ceramic tile. For breaking, forceps should be brought to the edge of the tile. Place a wide plate of tongs forming a small angle on the face of the tile, and place the central part along the mowing line of the bend over the made furrow. By carefully squeezing the ceramic product with tongs, excess parts are broken off.
Such devices are certainly better than a glass cutter, but it is extremely difficult to cut thin strips with their help.
High-quality ceramic tile surface cladding often involves the use of a tile cutter that will help fit the tile to the desired size. The tile cutter is the simplest and most high-quality way of cutting tiles: the operations are silent and exclude the appearance of dust, and most importantly, they do not require professional training, therefore they can be performed even by an inexperienced user at home.
Devices and principle of operation of a manual tile cutter
The most important feature of this tool is that it has an incredibly sharp incisor. As a rule, a diamond cutter is used, which has the same principle of operation as a simple cutter. For correct and complete operation, it is necessary to install the processed tile directly on the base of the device. To ensure that the tile does not wobble and can be easily and evenly cut, there is a pressure part at the bottom of the manual tile cutter, which allows you to firmly fix the tile.
On this clamping part of the tool there is a cutter and several rollers that allow the tile cutter to move along the surface of the material. There is also a small handle on the carriage. It is she who is responsible for the different force of the onslaught on the tile and directly on the displacement of the cutter during operation.
Due to the fact that during the use of the tool there are no difficulties, it is very often used both in construction and in repair work that is carried out at home. A manual tile cutter has the advantage when compared to an electric tool, because it is small in size, in a short time the tool allows you to make an extremely straight cut on the tile.
If you consider that you need to cut very strong materials or too much tile, then in such a situation, a hand tool may not be enough. Of course, a huge role in this situation is played by the skills of the person and the manufacturer of this or that instrument.
How to properly cut tiles with a manual tile cutter
In order to start using a hand tool, you do not need to take any courses or receive any special training. First of all, you need to place the tool on a perfectly flat surface and, very importantly, on a hard surface. Then it is necessary to check the sharpness of the cutter and how firmly all the main elements of the operated tool were fixed.
So, the tile needs to be cut according to the following instructions. At the same time, it is very important to follow the order in order to complete the work efficiently and quickly. You can also learn more about how to use the tile cutter from the topic posted on our website.
- On the front side of the tile, you need to draw a cut line. To do this, use a sharp pencil or marker, do not forget about the ruler.
- After that, you need to bring the tile to the surface of the manual tile cutter, which is called the working one.
- Align the instrument clearly perpendicularly. To do this, you need to rest hard enough on the far side of the tile cutter, and then carefully adjust the position of the tile used, taking into account the marks that you made on its surface in advance. At the same time, do not forget that you need to focus on the central line, which is located at the base of the tool.
- Use the handle to guide the cutter to the tile. It must be installed on the very edge of the product on the side that is closer to you.
- After that, you need to press the handle hard enough so that the cutter can touch the tile. Therefore, the tile must be pressed down with the metal part and the cutter rollers.
- Then, with just one movement, which should be quite sharp and clear, you need to draw a small furrow from you to the outer edge of the tile you are cutting.
- In the end, in order to break the tile being processed, you need to slightly press the handle and the tile will break directly along the mowing line that you cut.
Thus, with the help of a manual tile cutter, you can get two pieces of tiles of the size you need, which will have perfectly flat and incredibly neat edges in the place of the break.
What is a tile cutter and why is it needed
Many people have no idea what a tile cutter is or why such a tool is needed at all. If we consider this issue in more detail, then this is the most common apparatus that allows you to quickly and accurately cut ceramic tiles. Today, both manual and electric tools are actively used in construction. It is worth noting that it is possible to easily cope with the operation only in the case of using a manual tile cutter, but some difficulties may arise with the electric option.
Even if you consider that both types of instruments have the same name, they are not at all alike. The only exception, of course, is the final result of the tool. In order to be able to use a manual tile cutter, you need to make grooves with it (the unit has very sharp incisors), and then break the tile. In turn, the electric type of tile cutter works with the help of a battery or from an electrical network, and in its appearance and in the principle of operation, it can slightly resemble a circular saw. The tiles are cut with a very sharp diamond blade that has an incredibly high rotation speed.
Safety rules when working with the tool
Each instrument has its own safety, which must be observed in order to exclude unpleasant consequences, such as deformation of the phalanges of the fingers and the like.
When using the tile cutter, press the handle with one hand and hold the edge of the tile with the other
- Before direct work, it is imperative to conduct a thorough inspection of the tool for malfunctions, since this can cause both breakdown and an accident.
- Before cutting the tiles, you need to make a couple of idle movements to make sure they are smooth and free of jolts.
- Pay attention to the tubular guides, which should be as clean as possible. It is especially important that they are free of dirt. If there is contamination, then it is necessary to eliminate them, as well as traces of the solution with which the treatment is carried out. To make the operation of the device as efficient as possible, it is worth treating the parts with machine oil.
- It is necessary to inspect the cutting disc itself, since it should be in perfect condition, not bent, but rotation without fluctuations and along one axis. There should be no difficulties and obstacles in rotation, as well as additional whistle.
- To avoid injury, you should wear special glasses and gloves.
- Experts recommend checking the water supply to the disc before work, which will ensure quick work.
Cutting starts only after the disc has reached maximum speed.
Recommendations: how to properly cut tiles with a tile cutter
The instructions for the tile cutter do not contain special instructions on which professional training should be, and the work is carried out quickly and easily. However, it is worth following the recommendations from the manufacturer so that even such a simple moment as a tile cut is as correct as possible and without oversights.
Thanks to the tile cutter, you can cut any tile, regardless of its thickness
- The tool must be placed on a flat, stable surface. It must be solid.
- It is imperative to check how sharp the cutter is, as well as the fastening strength of each element.
- When cutting tiles, the order of work must be followed. Namely, on the front side of the tile, a fishing line is initially drawn along which the cut will be made. It is enough to use a pencil or marker and a ruler.
- The tile is installed on the base of the tile cutter.
- The tool must be set perpendicular to the working surface. To do this, you need to place a strong emphasis on the far corner of the device, and then correct the position of the canvas, be sure to take into account the mark made earlier.
- It is important to remember that the reference point is taken on the central line located on the working surface of the unit.
- Next, using the handle, the cutter is brought to the tile.
- It should be installed on the edge of the product, the one that is closer to the master.
- Then the handle is pressed firmly so that the cutter touches the tile surface. Thus, it will be sandwiched between the metal part and the rollers in the equipment.
- To make a cut, it is enough to make a sharp and clear movement. Through it, a small groove is made from oneself to the opposite edge of the canvas.
- After that, in order to break off the cut part of the tile, you need to press its handle and the blade will be broken along the previously drawn mowing line.
Thus, you can cut a tile and get two even parts of the product. The cutting line will be clear and without chipping, which will allow you to carry out repair work efficiently and without defects.
How to use the manual roller tile cutter
The tile cutter makes it much easier for builders to tile a room. How can you make a perfect cut of ceramic tiles? The best option is to use a manual tile cutter, which has many advantages and is considered very user-friendly.