How to wind a line for a trimmer on a gasoline trimmer
How to wind the line for trimmer on the grass trimmer spool
The head is the main part of the grass trimmer. It is a base with a spool, on which the cord thread is wound. There are 3 types of heads in total:
- Manual. Allows cord (line for trimmer) to be extended manually after full engine stop.
- Semi-automatic. Using such a head is characterized by simplicity and convenience. It operates on the following principle: having waited until the grass trimmer reaches maximum revolutions, the user lightly knocks the head of the device on the ground, due to which the blocking of the fishing line is removed. The cord is thus extended by centrifugal force, and the user only has to cut it with the blade.
- Automatic. The line is fed to the trimmer after the engine rpm is reduced. Such a head is useful in cases where there is a need to carry out prolonged work. The disadvantage of the device, in turn, is the rapid deterioration of the cord.
Now, to find out how to tuck the grass trimmer spool, you should pay attention to the choice of cord thread.
Selecting a fishing line
In order to easily wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool, it is worth determining what tasks the garden tool will perform. The thicker the thread tucked into the head, the more difficult the tasks it will be able to perform. It should be noted that often universal thread is used, the width of which does not exceed 2 mm. You, in turn, can determine the dimensions by using the following methods:
- Read the information outlined in the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Check the suitability of the line yourself by trying to insert it into the hole of the spool;
- examine the bobbin for information on the diameters allowed for use.
You can choose the line you want to put in the grass trimmer reel by the type of motor. For example, excessively thick filament can affect the increase in rotational resistance. This increases the load on the engine, which is bound to have an impact on quality and service life.
Avoiding negative effects is easy. To do this, you must consider that for electric motors with power up to 500 watts is ideal for trimmer line with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm. If you can not get such a cord, you can use 1.6 mm cord. 2 mm filament, on the other hand, is used for engines with more than 1 kW. It is worth noting that 2 mm cord is often used for winding on a bent mower. If the shaft is straight for a gasoline-powered device, a 2.5 or 3mm filament should be used. The thickest lines are exclusively used with motors with power equal to or greater than 1.3 kW.
Last but not least is the type of line cross-section. When choosing one, you should be guided by the tasks set for the gardening tool. There are several in-demand cross-sectional options:
- Twisted. has a small margin of safety, so it is suitable for young grass only;
- serrated. characterized by sharp edges, suitable for work in overgrown weeds;
- round. the most common cross-section. These lines handle fresh grass well, but are not suitable for shrubs and dead wood;
- Rectangular, square and star-shaped cross-section types. because of their low strength are used for working on lawns.
The most durable and versatile cord is a two-component cord for trimmer with a circular cross section, inside which is a core. It is the kind of cord that is suitable for most jobs. It should be remembered that the use of fishing line, ordinary wire and other third-party materials as a cord carries a danger to others.
What line to choose for a trimmer to fill a lawnmower
The thickness of the polyethylene filament depends on the model of the equipment and varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. It can be:
- round. it is the strongest material for cutting grass
- with a shaped section. used for mowing soft plants;
- twisted. used for thin grass;
- professional type, not suitable for all models of equipment.
To change the trimmer line on your lawnmower, you need to buy a cutting line that will be ideal for one or another type of mower.
You can soak the fishing line in a basin of water for a few minutes to increase elasticity and strength.
How to remove the spool from a grass trimmer and retrieve the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool, you need to remove it from there. The reel or guide is the device that is inside the mowing head, reel or drum. The heads come in different types (depending on the manufacturers), but the principle of replacing the line on the spool is the same in all. First of all, let’s find out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to take out the drum with the fishing line.
This is interesting!You can replace the tooling directly on the tool, but if you do it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and study the detailed process of winding. Once the technology is mastered, you can perform the replacement work on the trimmer trimmer or gasoline mower. The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it. Grasp the cover locks (on the mowing head) symmetrically with two fingers of one hand. After lightly pressing them in, remove the protective cap from the reel
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the whole head, if you know how to perform the replacement. Consider these nuances when disassembling:
- It is advisable to periodically remove the head to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you have never unscrewed a screw, it can be difficult or even impossible to unscrew it when needed
- If the screw has a square drive head, select a screwdriver or suitable size bit for unscrewing in order to prevent the faces on the head from sticking
- When reassembling the installation, the threaded seat should be treated with a lubricant, such as solidol or machine oil
- If the edges on a screw have slipped off, you can use special clamping pliers to unscrew it
- There are some reels that do not require prior disassembly. To disassemble it, take hold of it and rotate it in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the reel, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process of how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
How to remove a fishing line for your trimmer
To change a fishing line in your trimmer, remove the head cap. To do this, press the catches on both sides of the cover with your fingers and pull the cover up. Access to the spool is opened. Then pull it out by pulling up on the axis on which the spool sits. If the ends of the fishing line are sticking out of the holes in the head, lift the spool on its axis and pull the rest of the line inward from the holes in the head. Now the part holds nothing and it’s easy to remove it and remove the remaining working thread.
The reel is divided into two parts by a central partition with a cutout. The parts vary in size from one scythe model to another, so you need to check how much fishing line you can wind on the reel. Its length is between 1 and 4 meters.
How to remove the reel from a grass trimmer?
To change or rewind the cutting thread on the spool it is necessary to remove it.
The complexity of its removal depends on the model of the tool:
- The low-motor tool. The motor here is almost at the ground. Press the buttons on the side of the grass trimmer to remove the reel. After pressing these buttons, the body, where the spool with the line is located, is opened.
- Grass trimmer with a curved boom. Here it is necessary to turn counterclockwise the special thumbturn. Then the spool and the spring in it are removed.
- Straight-bar tool. Hold the rod stationary with a screwdriver or other object. Turning it clockwise removes it. After that, the tool is disassembled into parts and the spool is removed.
- If a single-tendon tool is used, you need about four meters of fishing line. This thread is threaded through a hole inside the spool where it can be clamped. Then one end of the fishing line is directed by the arrow. After that, the end of this thread is fastened in the groove that is in the reel. This is to prevent the thread from unwinding when assembling the spool. If there are no grooves, you should hold the line for the trimmer with your hand and assemble the bobbin.
- If a tool with two tendrils is used, you must first check the number of available grooves.If there is only one groove, then the two tendrils will be in the same groove. If there are two grooves, each strand will be directed into its own groove.
In the first case, the desired amount of cutting thread is passed through the hole so that the resulting thread is of equal length. Then you need to twist the bobbin on the arrow. Then begin to assemble the tool, holding the thread with your finger.
If the reel is equipped with a semi-automatic mechanism, the line for the trimmer is wound as follows:
- The thread is threaded through the hole that is inside;
- Secure the ends of the thread in the grooves on the body.
- The reel is assembled and a special button is pressed;
- After that, the line for the trimmer itself begins to coil in the desired direction.
You must always remember that the cutting thread must be protected from hard things. This will extend its service life.
If you don’t adhere to this rule, you’ll have to stop work often, remove the spool, and change the filament for a new one.
Removing the reel from the grass trimmer
On small electric trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor (when it is near the ground when working), the spool usually has two keys on the sides. Press them and disconnect one half of the spool body from the other half, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also removed, on which the line for the trimmer is wound directly. When disassembling, be careful: there is a spring inside, which can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a bent boom (such trimmers are not yet able to put a knife) it is necessary to grasp the coil body itself with one hand, and the second hand should start turning counterclockwise the winglet available on it. This is what fastens the spool to the grass trimmer bar. Having unscrewed a thumbscrew, we carefully remove all the coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and gearbox at its end (in such trimmers for grass besides the fishing line can be set and a knife) are looking for under the spool hole, put it in, for example, screwdriver, quietly turn the spool, until the screwdriver will penetrate even deeper, and the spool will be fixed. Now twist the entire spool clockwise (since the thread is left-handed) and remove it from the grass trimmer. And then you need to disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with latches or twisted with a wingnut. If you use the reel on the latches, you should press on the sides of the base of the latches so that they will bend and release one half of the reel body from the other half. you just need to unscrew the wing bolts. There may also be a third type of connection between the two halves of such a coil: when it is necessary to grab the lower part with one hand and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When dismantling a coil, you should also pay attention not to lose the spring inside it.
than 200 types of trimmers at the lowest in one place. Click and see
Now, after removing and disassembling the spool, we proceed, actually, to winding.
Block: 2/3 | Number of characters: 1967
What kind of trimmer fishing line is used for grass trimmer?
There are several types of line for trimmers:
- The round coil is stronger;
- For mowing soft vegetation. shaped;
- For mowing narrow grass. with notches;
- Special for certain types of grass trimmers.
The cutting filament must be suitable for the type of vegetation to be mowed.
If you need to change the line for the trimmer, you need to pick up exactly the kind recommended by the manufacturer of this particular model of trimmer for grass, in other words, the thickness of the cutting thread must fit the power of the motor and the size of the unit.
It is better to choose a specialized cutting thread. It is worth to soak the line for trimmer for a while, if you plan to change it in the reel.
After soaking, it becomes flexible and stronger.
The cutting filament can be made of different components. The most common among them is nylon.
This material is characterized by the highest degree of wear resistance, the ability to withstand different temperatures and the highest loads.
Nylon trimmer line can be stored for a long time, it will not dry out or lose its strength.
That’s why its service life can be quite long.
Reels or heads for brushcutter have different structure:
How to catch more fish?
- Single line. In a modification of such a trimmer for the grass is only one working line for trimmer. Used mainly for small jobs, such as trimming grass.
- Double-bar. Can be automatic or automatic. Here the set includes two strings. Used as a grass trimmer for mowing and clearing areas.
Instructions on how to properly wind the cutting thread on the grass trimmer spool:
- The first thing to do is to disassemble the head. To do this, you need to press the latch and turn the cover to the side. Next, remove the bobbin.
- Measure out the desired amount of cutting thread and insert it into the slots.
- Wind the trimmer line on both sides in the direction of the arrow.
- The 15 cm long ends should be left unwound.
- These ends are inserted into the opposite slots.
- Then the ends are fastened in the hole on the head.
- After that, carefully insert the bobbin into the body, to do this, you need to gently press on it.
- If necessary, you can pull the remaining ends of the thread outward. To do this, first pull one end of the thread and then the other so that they can easily pass through the slots in the head.
- Now you should assemble the grooves on the body and screw on the cover.
- Then push down on the bobbin and try to spin it as far as it will go. When you hear a click, the bobbin has clicked into place.
- You need to pull the loose ends of the thread all the way through.
How to wind a trimmer line onto a grass trimmer or brushcutter mowing head
This video shows in detail how to wind fishing line onto the grass trimmer or brushcutter reel. How to wind up a line with a mower line.
How to wind a line on the mowing head of your brushcutter or grass trimmer
Read more on our website: Subscribe to our YouTube Channel! Always glad to cooperate!
Block: 3/7 | Number of characters: 2850
Choosing a line
To thread a line into the trimmer head successfully, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumable material. The thicker the cord, the thicker and harder the grass it can cut. A 2 mm-diameter multi-purpose line is often used for trimmers. To find the right diameter for your mower you can do the following:
- Check the manual provided with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try inserting the cord into the outlet. If it will fit through without difficulty, then the chosen diameter of the cord is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer
Choose a cord according to the type of motor. If the line for the trimmer is too thick, the rotation resistance will increase. the motor will then overheat greatly and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick cord is fine. If you don’t have one, you can use 1.6mm trimmer fishing line. If the power is more than 1 kW, you should choose a filament diameter of 2 mm.
- The gasoline grass trimmer has the importance of the shaft mower. For the bent version a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the cross-sectional type of cord. Some popular choices:
- The most common lines with a circular cross section. They mow fresh grasses well, but do not handle shrubs and dead wood as well.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with rectangular, star-shaped or square grass trimmer lines, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest. two-component cord with an inner core and a circular section.
Types of line for grass trimmer
Please note that you cannot use wire, metal cords and ropes or ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result of their ends will unravel, and the small pieces will fly apart with great speed.
Block: 3/6 | Number of characters: 2323
How the line head works on the brushcutter Why do you need to know the working principle
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without a spring, t.е. On a manual type head. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instructions.
The principle of operation of a semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head is a spool that is seated on slits to prevent it from moving freely
- A spring acts on the reel, which presses it to the slits in the design of the cover
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. This is normally 1 to 4 meters long
- During work, if the length of the line needs to be increased, the protruding part of the reel is pressed down so that it disengages from the slots. At the same time, the line for the trimmer is wound from the reel, increasing in length
- After releasing the desired amount of line, release the hold-down and continue mowing
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening as compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer is simply torn off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and motor of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and design of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer reel. After all, this is the point at which most owners of special tools cause difficulties.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
How to insert a line into a grass trimmer for a trimmer?
Filling the mowing spool with cutting thread for the grass trimmer is not a difficult task, but novice gardeners will have to practice a little to be able to quickly insert the cord into the available household grass trimmer in the future.
There are only a few ways to thread the grass trimmer’s mowing head. The first method is the easiest, and it’s a good choice for beginner gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the spool in this sequence:
- Firstly, you need to unwind about 6 m of line from the common spool for the grass trimmer, and then cut the resulting section in half. The result should be two strands, each 3 m long;
- Then at one end of the first section will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located at the top of the bobbin;
- Next, begin winding the line on the bobbin in the direction indicated by the arrow. During winding, make sure that the line for the trimmer lies evenly on the surface of the bobbin, and does not go beyond its upper section. It is not necessary to wind up the section to the end, about 15 cm of thread should remain in your hands;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord will need to be inserted into one of the notches located at the top of the bobbin;
- Then the same procedure must be done with the second piece of fishing line. It will need to be wound on the lower section of the bobbin;
- As in the first case, to wind the line for the trimmer on the lower section to the end is not necessary. The remaining piece of thread must be inserted in the second groove of the bobbin.
After this operation, you will need to install the spool on the grass trimmer and start it. To check that the thread is securely fastened you must pull the throttle lever all the way down so that the engine reaches maximum speed. If the line for the trimmer does not fly out of the head, it means that the line for the trimmer is held securely, and during the mowing of grass, it will not fly out of the mowing spool.
How to wind the fishing line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool?
The second method is a little more difficult to do on your own.
Wind the cord for the grass trimmer in the following order:
- First, you will need to cut about 6 meters of cord from the total amount and bend it. In doing so, one of the parts should be slightly larger than the other;
- Then the thread from where it was bent needs to be inserted into the recess located on the separating edge between the two sections of the bobbin. As a result, the first part of the section should be in the upper and the second part in the lower section of the bobbin;
- After that you should start winding the line. Do so in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin case. During winding, the line should not be intertwined. The top half of the line should be wound carefully onto the top section of the bobbin and the bottom half onto the bottom section of the bobbin. After this there should be two 15 cm strips of cord left free;
- Next, the remaining ends will need to be inserted into the notches located at the top of the spool;
- Then the secured ends must be slipped into the through holes of the grass trimmer’s mowing head.
At the end you will need to connect all parts of the mowing head, and pull each end of the line slightly toward you. The finished spool will need to be installed on the grass trimmer and continue to work on the area.
Working with such machinery as grass trimmers requires caution and care. Following safety precautions during work is mandatory for beginners and experienced craftsmen. Sometimes confident trimmers let their guard down, make irreparable errors and suffer serious personal injury. That’s why it’s important when working with the machine
- Close the spool cap on all latches.
- Do not wind more fishing line than it’s supposed to: it’s hard to unwind later.
- After refilling the reel, be sure to check the tool’s operation before mowing.
- Choose a quality material that fits the particular trimmer.
Do not attempt to cut through coarse grass with thick stems using a fishing line. There are steel blades for this. Wear protective clothing only. Wear eyeglasses and appropriate footwear.
Cutting unit attachment
The cutting unit is the main component of the Philips Styler. It has short, sharp edges and is used for fast, precise trimming.
To remove the cutting unit from the body of the styler, check that there is a disconnect button on the body of the styler. If it is present, press the button to remove the cutting unit.
If the trimmer does not have a disconnect button, place your finger under the teeth of the cutting unit and pull it out of the device. To reinstall, insert the lower part of the cutting unit into the body of the styler, and then slide the part with the teeth in until it clicks into place. Do not use excessive force; this may damage the appliance.
If you are unable to install the cutting unit, check for foreign bodies in the styler body and try cleaning it with a small brush or cotton swab.
No matter how well the electric grass trimmer we purchased worked in the countryside or country house. sooner or later there will come a time when we need to remove the grass trimmer head for replacement or maintenance. To change the filament, it is not necessary to remove the trimmer head completely. Within this article I will tell you how to remove or replace the entire mowing head, using the BlackDecker GL716 electric grass trimmer as an example.
Tips and recommendations on how to wind a line for a trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for veteran trimmers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- Install the cover until it clicks into place. It must be two or more clicks depending on the number of clips. If one catch does not click into place, the reel may jump out when you start the tool and injure a person
- Do not reel in trimmer line with a strong pull, or in more than you can put it in place. It is better not to reel in more fishing line than it can be reeled in, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of an inability to unwind it when necessary
- If you own the tool with one line (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle curb between the extreme bases of the spool
- After changing the material you should first check the functionality of the tool and only then start mowing. If not checked beforehand, the line can unravel and injure a person
This is interesting!Choose material of appropriate quality, so as not to be injured when working with gasoline mowers, trimmers and brushcutters. While mowing grass, small stones and other materials get under the rotating parts and may fly away over long distances. Therefore, despite the fact that a line for a trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in special protective outfit. The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials do not last as long, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or knives are available for this purpose.