How to wind a trimmer line onto an Echo grass trimmer
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer
To wind a line for a trimmer on a gasoline or electric trimmer for grass, you do not need to have any special skills. First, it is important to determine the appropriate consumable, and then choose the best method. There are two different ways to tuck the line for the trimmer into the spool of the device.
The main element of the trigger is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a spool (bobbin) inserted inside. It’s where the line for trimmer (cord) is tucked in. The heads differ from each other in the way they feed and thread the cord. In total, there are three types of heads:
- Automatic. The feeding of the fishing line is carried out after that, as the user reduces the engine speed. Automatic filament feed is very convenient when you need to perform a large amount of work. The disadvantage of such a head is the high consumption of yarn.
- Semi-automatic. Using such a head does not require the user to perform any complicated manipulation. The principle of its work is arranged so that the line for the trimmer starts to extend automatically at a time when the grass trimmer operates at full speed. You only need to bump the head of the device on the ground (this will remove the blocking of the line), and the cord due to the centrifugal force will move out of the bobbin. Then the line for the trimmer is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you must stop the machine. After that, the trimmer line will need to be pulled out manually.
Choosing a line
To get the right line in the trimmer head, it’s important not to miscalculate with the right consumable. The thicker the cord you thread, the thicker and harder the grass it can cut. A universal trimmer fishing line with a diameter of 2 mm is often used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the manual provided with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is labeled with information about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try inserting a cord into the outlet. If it fits through without difficulty, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
You can choose the cord according to the type of motor. If the line for the trimmer is too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the motor will then overheat greatly and will soon fail. Useful tips:
- For an electric device with a motor under 500 V, a 1.3 mm cord will do. If you don’t have one, you may use 1.6mm trimmer fishing line. If the power is more than 1 kW, choose a 2 mm cord diameter.
- In a gasoline grass trimmer, it’s the shaft mower that counts. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm filament. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cord cross-section as well. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a circular section. They are good for cutting fresh grass, but are poorly suited for brush and dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not highly durable, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with rectangular, star-shaped or square grass trimmer lines, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-piece cord with an inner core and a round section.
Note that you cannot use wire, metal strings and rope, or ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. Device will be dangerous for the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work, resulting in their ends unraveling, and the small pieces disperse with great speed.
How to wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer reel?
After soaking it becomes elastic and stronger.
The cutting filament may be made of different components. A common one in their midst is nylon.
Myth material is characterized by the highest degree of wear resistance, the ability to withstand different temperatures and high loads.
Nylon trimmer line can be stored for years, it will not dry out or lose its strength.
That’s why its lifespan is probably quite long.
Reels by other heads for brushcutter have a different structure:
- Single string. In the modification of such a trimmer for grass is only one working line for trimmer. Used such a unit is primarily for small jobs, such as trimming grass.
- Two-string. Be both automatic and automatic. This set includes two strings. This grass trimmer is used for mowing and clearing areas.
Annotation on how to properly wind the cutting filament on the grass trimmer spool:
- First the head should be disassembled. For this purpose, you need to press the latch and turn the cover to the side. Then you take out the bobbin.
- Measure the required amount of cutting thread and stick it in the slot.
- From 2 sides, wind up the trimmer line in the direction of the arrow.
- The 15 cm long ends should be left unwound.
- These ends are inserted into the back slots.
- Then the ends are fastened in the hole on the head.
- Then the bobbin is carefully inserted into the bobbin case by applying slight pressure on its surface.
- If necessary, of course take the remaining ends of the thread out. For this purpose, you need to pull at first one end of the thread, and then the other so that they can just pass through the slots in the head.
- Now you should assemble the grooves on the housing and screw the lid on.
- After that, push the bobbin and try spinning it all the way. If you hear a click, the bobbin has clicked into place.
- Next, you need to pull the loose ends of the thread to the end.
What to change as it is also called to wind the cutting thread on the spool, it must be removed.
The complexity of its removal is depending on the model of the tool:
- Low-mounted tool with a motor. The motor here is almost at the ground. What to remove the spool you need to press the buttons located on the side of the grass trimmer. After pressing these buttons, the body opens, where the spool of fishing line is placed.
- Grass trimmer with a curved rod. Here you need to turn counterclockwise the special wing nut. After that, remove the spool and the spring there.
- The tool with a straight bar. The rod is held motionless with a screwdriver as it is also called another object. Rotate it clockwise to remove it. Then disassemble the tool into parts and take out the bobbin.
- If the tool is used with a single bar, then about 4 meters of thread is useful. Pass this thread through the hole on the inside of the spool where it can be secured. Next, one end of the fishing line is guided by the arrow. Then the end of this thread is fastened in the groove, which is in the bobbin. This is necessary so that the thread does not have enough strength to unwind when assembling the spool. If there is no groove, hold the line for the trimmer with your hand and reassemble the bobbin.
- If a tool with 2 wires is used, first check how many grooves are present.
If the reel is armed with an automatic mechanism, the line for the trimmer is wound this way:
- Thread is pulled through the hole on the inside;
- Fasten the ends of the thread in the grooves on the body.
- The reel is assembled and a special button is pressed;
- After that, the line for the trimmer itself begins to coil to the right side.
#29 How to wind a trimmer line onto a grass trimmer or brushcutter spool
It is always necessary to keep in mind that the cutting thread should be protected from hard things. This will extend its life.
If you don’t adhere to this rule, you’ll have to stop work often, remove the spool and change the thread to the newest.
With two-string automatic brushcutters:
- At first it is necessary to press the clamp in the preclip, remove the cover.
- Carefully turn the bobbin so that it can detach from the holder. Pull it out.
- Measure two lengths of cutting line of similar length. To make the work ahead easier, the ends of the fishing line should be cut at an angle. Take one end and slip it into the hole in the reel. Also it is usually slots, grooves, clips, etc.
- Next, in the direction of the arrow to wind the line for the trimmer, rather tightly and moderately. In a special eye on the spool to secure the end of the line.
- The second half of the line to subject to the same operation, but on the other half of the spool.
- Next, you should install the spool in the head of the grass trimmer. And put the rest of the fishing line through the hole in the head.
- Then carefully straighten the thread and close the cover. If the line for the trimmer turned out to be long, it is better to cut off the excess. About fifteen centimeters should remain on each side.
On the automatic head:
- Pull the thread through the hole on the inside;
- Fasten the ends of the thread in the grooves on the body.
- Reel is assembled and press a special button;
- Then the line for the trimmer itself begins to coil in the appropriate direction.
It should be very carefully and carefully tuck the cutting line in the unit, because the correctness of the winding depends not only on the purity of the garden area, and personal safety.
How to change the trimmer line on the trimmer
Below we have given step by step instructions for changing the grass trimmer filament.
The first thing to do is to unplug the tool and turn off the motor. Then it is necessary to remove the grass trimmer head. You can do this by using a simple screwdriver to put it in the gearbox hole to prevent the shaft from turning. And then just unscrew it
Unscrew usually clockwise, but different models have different mechanisms, so that you may have to twist in the opposite direction. But if suddenly, for some reason you can’t figure it out, then we highly recommend referring to the owner’s manual to understand how to disconnect it
Second. After removing the grass trimmer head you need to open it. This can be done through the locks, which are opposite each other. By clicking on them, you will be able to remove the head cover, and then pull out of it the spool, on which the line for the trimmer is wound. By pulling it out you will be able to determine which type it belongs to. There are one-piece and two-piece bobbins
Let’s see how to wind up the line for trimmer in the grass trimmer spool in two variants
So, option one. we charge the line for the trimmer in the one-section reel. A prepared piece of thread is folded in half and slipped into the bobbin. Then, begin to wind both ends in the same direction, which will be indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. At the end of the spooling don’t forget to make sure that the different ends of the line are facing in different directions
Option two. winding the line on a two-part spool. Previously prepared thread is divided into two parts, and its ends should be fixed: this should be done by placing them in special mounts
Winding is carried out as in the first case. by the arrow indicated on the bobbin. Both sections should be wound so that they do not cross each other. Next, the ends of the thread should be secured in the grooves and spread on opposite sides
After that, the spring is inserted into the spool, and the whole thing is placed in the mowing head. Putting the spool in the grass trimmer you need to gently hold the spring in parallel inserting the line for the trimmer into the slots of the trimmer head. And in the end, it just needs to be secured with the final part, that is, the cover.
Once you’ve threaded the grass trimmer, it needs to be checked. If you did everything correctly, everything will work, but if you made a mistake, we recommend that you read the article again, or better yet, if you watch the video how to install the line for the trimmer on the spool in the trimmer.
How to get the trimmer line out of the grass trimmer spool
Over time, the cutting element of the head wears out, and it becomes necessary to remove the remains of the old line. Not everyone knows how to do this. Our step-by-step instructions plus a video of how to pull the thread out of the grass trimmer spool, which you can find on the network, will help in solving this issue
Mowing head must be disassembled
Difficult ? Of course not. But if all the same doubts creep in you that for some reason you can not do it, then of course find and watch video how to pull or how to wind the thread on the spool of brushcutter.
Carefully completed disassembly of the bobbin spool without losing its parts allows you to proceed to the main task. winding the line into the spool. The technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of actions.
READ How to use the Gasoline Grass Trimmer
The simplest option and the easiest sequence of steps:
- The size of the spool and the length of the unique factory winding determine the recommended length of fishing line for winding. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted in the fixing technological hole on the inside of the bobbin.
- the line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer product. usually, on the inside of the reel an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is carried out.
- A small section of fishing line is left free for outputting it outside. it is fixed in a special groove on the inside of the bobbin, created to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin in working condition.
- The leftover end of the fishing line is fed through a hole on the outside of the spool.
- Half spools are assembled and put on the trimmer’s boom.
In this type of bobbins should find the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the bobbin:
Lightweight and compact household weed control devices for a plot of less than 15 acres have a capacity of up to 1 liter.с. Such an indicator is enough for a cottage, a small lawn.
Power range of 1 to 3 liters.с. Needed for shrubs, thin branches. This is the indicator of industrial and universal units. They have a longer service life, weight, and some models may produce a high level of noise.
If you need to get rid of young shoots of trees, thick branches of bushes use lawn mowers with more than 3 liters.с. These are heavy machines that require a great deal of physical effort to operate. The advantages of these mowers are a large fuel reserve, separate petrol and oil filling, high productivity.
models with shoulder straps for easy operation
In order to change the line for the trimmer, you need to remove the old one (if there was one).
The reel is a part of the grass trimmer’s design that is located inside the head of the brushcutter, reel or reel. Depending on the manufacturer, there are different mowing heads. But this article only deals with Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Now you need to understand how to properly remove the head from the grass trimmer and how to remove the drum.
The instructions on how to unwind the manual head on a trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head of dirt and sticking grass, if it is dirty. To do this, you need to lift the brushcutter head up and, taking hold of the guard, remove the special protective cover on the reel.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the reel. The spool can be easily pulled out with one hand because it is not attached to the reel in any way.
- The reel itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the reel. To do this carefully, you must support the reel with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the spool out. As mentioned above, it is not secured in any way except by a catch with the metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully pull the reel out of the reel in a circular motion.
- Now it remains to remove the old line for the trimmer and follow the following instructions.
Reel and reel are put back in place using the reverse procedure.
Before refilling the line, make sure that you bought the correct line for the grass trimmer. If the filament is loose, it increases fuel or energy consumption and puts extra strain on the brushcutter engine.
In order to replace the thread itself, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. This most often requires about 4 m of fishing line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, such as its thickness, as well as the parameters of the spool itself. If you can not accurately determine the length, you can do as follows: insert and wind the thread until the spool is fully charged (the level of the line will compare with the protrusions in the sides of the spool). Care must be taken to ensure that the line for the trimmer sits evenly in the spool.
Do not forget that thick thread will be shorter than thin thread.
Instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- Take the prepared line and roll it in half. Make sure that one end is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one, so that it becomes 2 times shorter. Keep a 0.15m indentation when bending.
- Find the groove inside the baffle of the spool. Into this slot, carefully extend the loop that was obtained earlier.
- To continue working, determine the winding direction of the thread in the spool. To do this, just look at the coil. there should be an arrow on it.
- If you can not find the pointer arrow, it is possible that there is a written marking. An example is shown in the photo below. It is necessary to examine the head of the spool. There is a direction indicator on it. However, this is the direction of the spool. To get the winding direction, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to thread the spool with fishing line. It is worth noting that inside the coil there are special guiding grooves. You must follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise you could damage the grass trimmer. At this stage you need to charge the spool very carefully.
- When the user has almost all the thread, you should take the short end (do not forget about the protrusion of 0.15 m) and pull it through the hole in the wall of the spool. Now you need to repeat this action similarly with the other end (from the other side).
- Put the spool itself in the head of the spool, before putting the line for the trimmer through the holes inside the drum.
- Now it’s time to put the drum back in its place. After that, you need to grab the ends of the fishing line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then the cover should be put back on (here you can safely apply force until you hear a characteristic click).
- All that is left is to do the “cosmetic work”. See if the thread is too long. You can start the grass trimmer and check in practice whether everything is comfortable. If the thread came out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
How does the line head work on the brushcutter?
Depending on the manufacturer, they differ not only externally but also internally in terms of design. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above are the instructions on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without the spring, i.e.е. on the manual type head. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- There is a spool inside the head, which is mounted on slits preventing it from moving freely
- The coil is pressed against the slits in the cover construction by a spring
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. This length is usually 1 to 4 meters
- During work, if necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the slots. At the same time, the line for the trimmer is coiled from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the necessary amount of fishing line, release the clamp and continue mowing the grass
The advantage of the tool with a fishing line is that this consumable material does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. over, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting blades.
Knowing the construction and structure of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the fishing line into the grass trimmer spool. After all, this is the point at which the majority of special tool owners have difficulty.
The grass is cut with a knife or a fishing line. The first option is more effective. The brushcutter copes with thickets of grass, branches and does not need winding. The disadvantage of knives. a high level of danger, the need to periodically sharpen the tool. True, all models have protective blocks, but they are installed on the operator’s side.
trimmer line is safe, lightweight, and does not need to be sharpened. Disadvantage of this type of cutting element. it is not designed for thick branches. For young grass use trimmer line 2 mm thick, for tougher vegetation use trimmer line 3 mm in diameter.
The saw blade is used for cutting the toughest branches.
Cutting disc can easily cope with grass and small branches
There is a universal variant with a changeable cutting element. In such trimmers, the line for the trimmer and the knife are changed, based on the task at hand. The disadvantage of these devices. a high price.
How to change a line for a trimmer on a trimmer correctly
A grass trimmer is a handy and easy-to-use tool for cutting grass and trimming small shrubs and trees. A line for trimmer (string, cord) is often used as a cutting element, because it is cheaper and safer to use than circular knives. Intensive use of the tool over time will require a change of trimmer line on the trimmer. The process is similar on mowers from different manufacturers, be it Husqvarna or Huter, with possible minor differences.
Manufacturers offer 2 handle options:
The “T”-shaped handle is installed on the models with auto-winding line. Work is done with 2 hands on either side of the boom. This position is good for mowing large areas of vegetation. The cut is carried out on the principle of the grass scythe. from one side to the other. This variant is not maneuverable, does not work well on difficult terrain. Bicycle handlebar can be equipped with control buttons. In domestic types of grass trimmer trigger buttons are installed on the boom.
The classic grass trimmer model with a double-sided handle, which has control buttons
Gasoline trimmer with a D-shaped handle is more maneuverable, it is convenient to mow grass in areas with difficult terrain. In such a tool, the hands are positioned one above the other. The disadvantage of the handle. it is difficult to hold it, the management of such a device is more complicated.
The “J” handle is the most uncomfortable, so it is rare.
Features of trimmers application
Grass trimmer, mowing grass with a fishing line, can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flower beds, row spacing on the garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device as a trimmer for grass, there are several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmer noticeably differ from each other. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element can be a line for the trimmer. Of course, tucked into the grass trimmer spool line for trimmer is not endless. And sooner or later it will be necessary to replace it with a new one.
Consumption of fishing line directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass you cut and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more the trimmer line is consumed. And, accordingly, the sooner it will run out. This raises the question: how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the filament on the reel plays an important role in the grass trimmer In order for the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind a new line for the trimmer on the spool. On how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
What line to choose for a trimmer?
Before you stock up on this material to fill in the grass trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. The conventional round brush line is not the only kind that exists in the market. So how to choose the most suitable one? The first thing to do is to determine the working conditions.
Choosing by type. A line for a round section trimmer is the most common. It fits on any reel, with very few exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for mowing fresh, succulent grass. But it might not be able to mow dead grass any more. Trying to mow bushes with this line is needless to say.
In addition to the usual type, there are others with sharp edges. Usually they are made in “star” or “square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and the key difference of these threads.
It is because of this feature that these types of threads are able to mow dry weeds. But pointed threads are not without disadvantages, the main of which can be called a fast wear and durability, markedly inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of fishing lines, there are other interesting and frequently encountered varieties. Particularly noteworthy among them are fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. Threads of this type are often used in tools that run on gasoline and have an engine with more than one and a half horsepower.
Threads with a metal core come in both circular and sharp-edged sections. Regardless of the cross section type, these threads are the best way to overcome hard-to-cut plants. This type of threads can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
Filaments with wires inside compare favorably with other types of consumables because of their incredible durability. But unfortunately, this feature has more than a noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of filament with a core is much higher than the cost of other types of filament.
Choosing the thickness
You should also pay special attention to thickness of the material. A thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is good for mowing young grass. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser the weeds it can handle.
There is a “but” in choosing the thickness of your line. It is important not only to assess the material capabilities, but also to take into account the peculiarities of the grass trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that comes with the tool to find information about the requirements for the cutting element.
Using the wrong kind of thread can cause the tool to malfunction. Using a cord that is too thick will overload the motor. And using too thin a thread will increase the wear and tear of the torque mechanism many times over.
That is why it is necessary to approach the choice of consumable material not less responsibly than to its filling in the trimmer for grass. When a suitable line for the trimmer is found and purchased, you can begin to consider how to wind it on the spool.
Instructions with a step-by-step description of how to wind up a grass trimmer and lawnmower spool
In order not to choose the right line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head and look at the side of the spool. This information is usually presented on the tip, which will not allow you to make a mistake with the use of appropriate equipment.
If the information on the spool about what diameter line for the trimmer can be wound, then this information can be clarified in the manual. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the fishing line, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but they are not all applicable. Let’s consider both methods in detail, and depending on what models of brushcutters and trimmers you use, decide for yourself which variant is suitable.
This is interesting!The principle of how to wind the line for a trimmer on the lead of a brushcutter, is appropriate not only for standalone petrol units, but also for electric trimmers.
Method 1. how to correctly wind the line for the trimmer or put it on the spool and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to prepare a line for the trimmer of the required length (usually up to 4 meters) in advance. It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the reel. There is a simple way to figure out the required amount of fishing line, which will be needed to charge the spool. To do this, wind the line inside the spool until it flattens out with the side tabs. Harness in this case should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the fishing line you use, the shorter its length will be, and vice versa, the thinner it is, the longer it will be.
The instructions on how to properly tuck the tooling into the tip of a grass trimmer or brushcutter are as follows:
- To start with, the section of line that has been prepared to be reeled in should be folded in half. One edge should protrude 10-15 cm over the other
There are no difficulties with how to put the reel in place. There is also a second way to charge the mowing attachment in the brushcutter. What is different, and how the second method of winding the fishing line on the brushcutter spool, we will find out in detail.
Automatic line winding on spool
There are many reels where the automatic mechanism reels itself from the user just needs to fill in the line correctly. The fishing line is passed through the hole on the inside of the body, its tendrils without winding are passed through the hole on the outer body, the spool is assembled, and when you turn the winding button, the line inside is wound independently. In such a coil, it is impossible to make the winding wrong: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, since it can only return in one direction.
Grass trimmer This is a handy, easy-to-use tool for cutting grass and trimming small shrubs and trees. As a cutting element, it often uses trimmer fishing line (string, cord) because it costs less than disc blades and is safer to use. If you use the tool intensively over time, you will need to change your trimmer line to a grass trimmer. This process is the same for mowers from different manufacturers, whether Husqvarna or Mechs, with possible minor differences.
The string does not extend
In automatic and semi-automatic drums, the cord is fed without stopping the grass trimmer. If it doesn’t, then:
- the line for the trimmer in the head is not wound correctly, that’s why the spool doesn’t spin;
- Mowing line winding is uneven, so the cord gets stuck between the coils and does not come out to prevent this from happening, you need to carefully wind the thread, avoiding warping, return to the turn;
- The ends of the cord coming out of the holes are very short, there is not enough centrifugal force to pull them out, so the line for the trimmer is not fed before turning on the grass trimmer, you must necessarily adjust the length of the cord and lengthen it slightly, if necessary;
- The cord is stuck.
https://www.Artem-tools.ru/articles/kak-namotat-lesku-na-trimmer_327408/ https://www.Vse-dachi.com/kak-namotat-lesku-na-trimmer-pravilno.html https://san-lider.ru/leska/kak-pomenyat-lesku-na-benzinovom-trimmere-video.html https://ingener-pto.ru/2019/12/12/kak-pomenjat-lesku-na-jelektricheskom-trimmere/
Types of trimmer heads
The grass trimmer head is a cylindrical body in which a spool (bobbin) is inserted with a line (cord) tucked into it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. Heads differ in the way the cord is threaded and fed and come in 3 types.
- Automatic. The filament feed is performed after the user reduces the engine speed. Although automatic line feed is convenient if you’re doing a lot of work, these bobbins have a drawback. a high consumption of filament.
- Semi-automatic. This type of head does not require any complicated manipulation from the user. How they work is designed so that the cord is lengthened automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the head of the grass trimmer on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for the trimmer due to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, and then trimmed to the desired length by the blade located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you need to stop the machine, after which the line for the trimmer is pulled manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. Also note that grass trimmer reels for grass are single string (used only for grass trimming) and double string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.