How to wind the line around the grass trimmer head
Never Wind Weed Wacker Line Again. String Trimmer Line Loading Miracle
Features of the use of trimmers
a grass trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, flower beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, like a grass trimmer, exists in several variations:
As the names suggest, the types of grass trimmer are noticeably different from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, a fishing line can be its cutting element. Of course, the line tucked into the reel of the grass trimmer is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more active the line is. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to tuck the line into the reel of the grass trimmer?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But winding the line on a reel plays an important role in the operation of the grass trimmer. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
Which line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for dressing in a grass trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Selection by type. Round line is the most common. It will fit any coil with rare exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, juicy grass. But with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, such a species may no longer cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow bushes with this thread.
In addition to the usual type, there are others that have sharp edges. Usually they are made with an asterisk or a square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference between these threads.
Stihl Trimmer Head-How To Rewind A 2 String Head. 25-2
It is thanks to this feature that the threads of these types are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-cut threads are not without drawbacks, the main of which are quick wear and strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of woods, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. This type of thread is often used in gasoline powered tools with an engine over 1.5 horsepower.
Metal-cored threads come in both round sections and sharp edges. Regardless of the type of section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming difficult-to-cut plants. Threads of this type can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
The wires with a wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables for their incredible wear resistance. Unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of yarns with a core is much higher than the cost of other types of yarns.
In addition, you should pay special attention to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it is capable of overpowering.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one “but”. It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the grass trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that came with your tool for information on cutting element requirements.
Using the wrong thread can damage the tool. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the machine’s motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why the choice of consumables must be approached no less responsibly than filling it into the grass trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchased, you can begin to consider ways of winding it on a reel.
How to wind the line onto the spool of the grass trimmer
At first glance, threading a line into the reel of a tool is not an easy task. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future, all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
Read this guide to learn how to line your grass trimmer. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the spools of different types of trimmers, therefore, it is applicable to any tool.
- The line spool is the bottom edge of the grass trimmer. First of all, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft threads through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage, you have to remove the bobbin from the head, on which the fishing line is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you first need to find a retainer on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It needs to be put aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the step of winding the line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new bobbin.
- From a previously prepared skein of new fishing line, it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, the key stage actually begins, which this article is devoted to.
How to wind the line on the reel of a grass trimmer: winding methods and videos
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. A grass trimmer will help you to defeat them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true for those tools in which not a knife, but a fishing line acts as a cutting element.
The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two sections. upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing edge does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on the sides on both sides. The method of winding the thread must be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the reel, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to keep the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half winds up in the upper part of the spool, and the lower half in the lower part. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin to secure the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these grooves so that they are fixed against each other.
- The final step of loading the consumables into the tool is to thread the ends attached to the bobbin into the corresponding holes in the grass trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the free ends of the thread be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumable one by one so that they are removed from the grooves of the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little. they should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the very last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line is tucked into a reel. grass trimmer ready for further work.
Second winding method
- A previously prepared six-meter-long segment is required to be bent exactly in the middle and cut. Thus, two segments of the same length are obtained.
- At one end of each segment, you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, it is necessary to bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it for a short time so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then one segment is taken. The hook is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key stage. winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to make sure that the line is wound strictly within the upper part of the reel. You do not need to wind the thread to the very tip. about fifteen centimeters should remain free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small recesses (so-called grooves) for fixing the consumable. The loose “tail” of the thread must be inserted into one of these grooves.
- The top of the coil is tucked in. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom. Take the second piece of thread. The “hook” is threaded through the through hole at the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the fishing line (within the lower compartment). And for this segment, you also need to leave about fifteen centimeters free from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one into which the end of the first segment was inserted.
The subsequent steps for this type of coils are exactly the same as described for the previous type in paragraphs five to nine.
This is how the line in the grass trimmer spool changes. There is nothing complicated in the process. And already after several refuelings, all actions will come to automatism.
To visually study the process described above, you can turn to the Internet for help. On the popular YouTube portal there are many different videos showing how to wind the line on the reel of the grass trimmer.
Removing and disassembling the coil
The mowing trimmer head consists of a cover, a spring (not available in every model), a bobbin with a cord, and a cover. Be sure to unplug the grass trimmer before disassembling the coil of the electrical unit. The disassembly method depends on the mounting of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) that are located on both sides of the head.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the spool. remove it from the body. Some trimmer spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must also be carefully pulled out.
- After removing the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the case. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, shaking it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. For this, such devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, then lock the shaft.
- Grasp the body of the head and start twisting it. This should be done clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is left.
Winding the line to the reel
For the threading of the line into the trimmer head to be successful, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumables. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it will be able to cut. Often a universal line is used, the diameter of which is 2 mm. You can choose a diameter suitable for the mower in the following ways:
- Refer to the instructions that came with the trimmer for line thickness information.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes information about the possible diameters of the fishing line is applied on it.
- Another option is to try inserting the cord into the exit hole. If it easily goes into it, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
Grass trimmer reel
You can choose a cord thread according to the type of engine. If the line is too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. in this case, the engine will overheat and will soon fail. Helpful hints:
- For an electrical device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thread is suitable. If you can’t find one, then you can use a 1.6 mm line. If the power is more than 1 kW, then select a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a petrol grass trimmer, the shaft mower counts. For the folded version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, use a 2.4-2.5 or 3mm thread. The thickest line is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of section of the cord thread. Some popular options:
- The most common round lines. They mow fresh grasses well, but they cope worse with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but is good for thin young grass.
- Serrated thread with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow your lawn more evenly with rectangular, star or square grass trimmer lines, but they are not very strong.
- Strongest. two-piece inner-core round cord.
Types of grass trimmer line
Please note that you cannot use wire, metal strings and cables, as well as ordinary fishing thread instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous to both the user and others. So the cable or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and small pieces will scatter at high speed.
Spool Trimmer Heads
The main elements of the trigger is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a bobbin inserted inside. The fishing line (cord) is tucked into it. The heads differ from each other in the way of feeding and threading the cord. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The line is then fed as the user decreases the engine speed. Automatic cord feeding is very convenient when there is a lot of work to be done. The disadvantage of such a head is the high thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. The use of such a head does not require the user to perform any complex manipulations. The principle of its operation is designed in such a way that the line begins to automatically lengthen while the grass trimmer is operating at full speed. You just need to lightly bang the head of the machine on the ground (this will remove the blocking of the line), and the cord will be pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force. Then the line is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, it is necessary to stop the apparatus. After that, the line will need to be pulled out manually.
Types of trimmer spools
How to wind the line around the grass trimmer
You don’t need to have any special skills to wind the line around a gasoline or electric grass trimmer. To begin with, it is important to decide on a suitable consumable, and then choose the best method. There are two different ways to load the line into the spool of the device.
Threading the line into the reel of a grass trimmer is a relatively straightforward procedure, provided you follow a specific procedure. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. After deciding on the length of the cord, follow the instructions below:
- Fold the consumable in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start charging from the center board that divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last in half.
- Determine in which direction you want to wind the line. To do this, take a closer look at the bobbin, which may contain an arrow or an inscription. She indicates the side of the winding. If there are no markings on the reel, then look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind in the opposite direction.
- The consumables should be washed gently, turn to turn. Try to stick to the maximum thread tension.
- After completing the lining, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into a groove on the side of the coil that fits in diameter. The other end (longer), attach in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the fishing line, cut off the ends. Do not forget to leave allowances of about 10 cm.
- Place the loaded bobbin onto the mowing head of the device. To do this, you need to alternately insert and pull the thread into the outlet holes of the head, in order to then place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- Using the required force, pull the cord out of the locking grooves and tighten the material. After completing this step, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Step-by-step winding of the line to the spool
There is another way to wind the cord around the grass trimmer, in which two pieces of material are charged instead of one. The replacement is done like this:
- Bend one end of the cord into a crochet hook.
- There should be a hole at the bottom of the bobbin to hold the line in place. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the device head is similar to the first method.
Winding the line around the grass trimmer head (brushcutters): step by step instructions
Generally speaking, winding the line around the mowing head of the grass trimmer is easy. However, many beginners, when winding the line for the first time, may face certain difficulties.
Perhaps the most common problem is when the line, already wound on a reel, simply unwinds when assembling the mowing head.
In this review, the author of the YouTube channel HotSEM will tell you in detail and show how to properly wind the fishing line without unnecessary hassle.
We also advise you to read how to make the simplest wire tie from a hairpin with your own hands. This tool can be used to tighten wire clamps.
The main stages of work
Now we are going to install the line. The spool has a splitter that divides it into two line grooves.
This side has a groove. We measure the desired length of the fishing line, and then bend it in half (while one end should be 10-15 cm longer).
We cling the resulting loop to the groove. Next, we look at the body and look for the Wind line inscription, next to which there will be an arrow that indicates the direction of winding the fishing line.
If there is no such inscription with an arrow, then look for an arrow on the head, and then wind the fishing line in the opposite direction.
Where to begin
The first step is to remove the head from the brushcutter and open it. for this there are latches on the sides of the body.
The mowing head consists of three main elements. the head itself with a spring, a reel on which the fishing line is wound, and a cover.
Before proceeding with the “threading” of the line, you need to make sure that it fits. It is very simple to do this. we insert the end of the line into the hole in the head, and if the line goes into the hole without problems, then this diameter is suitable.
At the next stage, we wind the fishing line, making sure that each end is in its own groove. When wound. the ends of the line must be temporarily inserted into the side grooves.
Then we insert the coil into the head, put on the lid on top, straighten the ends of the fishing line so that they come out of the grooves, and then fix everything on the latches.
You can watch the author’s video for details on how to wind the line around the grass trimmer head. This review is based on a video from the YouTube channel HotSEM.