How to wind the line around the Patriot grass trimmer reel
How to Replace the Spool and Line on a Flymo Grass Strimmer
What types of woods are there
A common type of line that fits virtually all reel types is round cord. This is an ordinary fishing line, suitable for mowing succulent grass, but it will be much more difficult to mow dead wood with it, and even more so it will not cope with shrubs.
Usually, the diameter, which can be used to mow young grass, does not exceed 1.6 mm. The thicker the thread, the more coarse grass it is able to overcome.
There are fishing lines with sharpened edges in the form of an asterisk or a square, this option is more adapted to mowing dry grass precisely due to the existing sharp edges, but its drawback is greater wear and is inferior in strength to a round cord.
There are fishing lines with improved aerodynamics with corresponding dents, scales and notches, a similar product makes less noise, but it is used only on petrol cutters, since the exit of such a thread from the reel is difficult, it is used in most cases with discs into which segments are inserted. The disadvantage of such a product is its fragility.
Manual petrol mower. Line replacement in reel
In this video I show how simple and simple it is to wind the line on the reel of a hand-held mower without the help of others
In most cases, in gasoline trimmers with an engine power of more than 1.5 hp. use cords with an iron cable inside. This thread is perfect for cutting dry grass and small bushes. The presence of a core has a positive effect on the wear resistance of this material. The disadvantage of such a cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the listed opponents.
Coil with one working tendril
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the reel and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of the line for winding. 2 5 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the spool.
- The fishing line is wound on the drum in the opposite direction of the spool rotation on the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inside of the reel, an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is carried out.
- A small section of the fishing line is left free to lead it out. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inner side of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin into working condition.
- The left end of the line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the reel.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
Replacing the line on the brushcutter
How to wind the cutting line yourself on the reel of brushcutters (grass trimmers)
How to wind the line around the Patriot grass trimmer reel?
How to wind line on a trimmer reel
So, to reel in the line, you first need to remove the spool from the grass trimmer. it will be more convenient this way. The removal method will depend on the type of grass trimmer.
We carry out the winding of the fishing line
Slowly completed disassembly of the spool-spool without losing its spare parts allows you to move on to the main task. winding the fishing line into the reel. Technological features of the spool design and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
Remove the spool from the grass trimmer
On small electric trimmers with a bottom motor (when positioned when working on the ground), the reel usually has two keys on the sides. Press down on them and detach one half of the coil body from the other, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is removed, on which the line itself is wound. When parsing, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (on such trimmers there is still no way to place a knife), you need to wrap the coil body with one hand, and with the other hand you must start rotating counterclockwise, the lamb is on it. It is he who attaches the coil to the trim strip. Unscrew the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gear at the end (we can also install a knife in addition to the mowing line), we look for a hole under the spool, insert a screwdriver into it, for example, tighten until the spool is deeper and the spool is locked. Now turn the entire spool clockwise (since the thread is left) and remove it from the grass trimmer. We then disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with snaps or twisted with lamb. If the coil is latched, then we press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend back and release one half of the coil body from the other. The lamb is simply twisted. There can also be a third type of connection between the two halves of such a coil: with it you need to grab the bottom part with one hand and the other. top and start turning them in opposite directions. When decoding such a coil, you should also make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
Line winding algorithm
Depending on which grass trimmer model is used, the type, thickness and length of the line are selected. The diameter of the cord can be from 1.2 to 4 mm. It is not difficult to guess that the thicker you fill the cord, the harder and thicker grass it is able to cut.
In most cases, use a universal line with a diameter of 2 mm.
There are 3 ways to find out which line diameter you can use on your mower.
The line is wound on a reel in the mowing head. Therefore, first you need to open it (this was discussed above). There are 2 ways to wind the cord.
Before putting on the line on the grass trimmer, you need to pay attention to the section of the cord:
- round threads are the most common option. They perfectly cut down the grass, even in difficult areas;
- Spiral line is suitable for thin grass. It is not very durable and is not suitable for old thickets;
- a cord with notches and sharp edges is chosen for mowing weeds;
- fishing line with a variety of geometric sections will help mow the lawn more evenly, however, the strength of the consumable is low.
Important! Most wear-resistant consumable is 2-piece round, reinforced internally.
The owner of the brushcutter should know that it is strictly forbidden to use metal wire, fishing thread and various strings.
Some reels provide a second method of securing the cord: you can charge 2 pieces of thread, instead of one folded in half. The line is replaced according to the following algorithm.
For Shtil brushcutters there is a very simple and quick way to change the line without disassembling the mowing head, which you can familiarize yourself with by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the casing can be cut to the required length after the part is installed in the trimmer. This can be done in two ways:
- by turning on the grass trimmer (when rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut against the knife fixed for this purpose on the protective casing);
- cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the casing body.
The second method is used if a large diameter cord had to be supplied, and the edging knife cannot shorten it.
If the filament has been loaded into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is not enough, then they must be lengthened before starting the machine. this applies to the head with manual adjustment. However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head when, due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not automatically lengthen. In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (on an electrical device, it is necessary to unplug the plug from the socket), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part and pull out a little line. After this procedure, the cord can again be extended due to centrifugal force if you set the maximum spindle speed.
Regardless of the thickness of the line you set, you should remember: in order not to constantly interrupt work and not change the line, you should avoid areas where the working tool can touch hard surfaces (stones, curbs, thick dry branches, etc.).
How to wind the line around the Patriot grass trimmer reel?
Gardening technician with 8 years of experience
You don’t need to have any special skills to wind the line around a gasoline or electric grass trimmer. To begin with, it is important to decide on a suitable consumable, and then choose the best method. There are two different ways to load the line into the spool of the device.
Things to consider when choosing a fishing line
It is important to choose the right material before inserting and locking the line into the removable spool of the grass trimmer.
Rating of the best models of gasoline grass trimmer. A review of manufacturers and models, as well as useful tips from experts reviewed in this review, will help in a difficult choice among many device models.
How to wind the line correctly: replacement features depending on the type of removable grass trimmer coil
To figure out how to thread the line into the removable trimmer head, the following recommendations and video instructions will help.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
Как заправить леску в катушку бензокосы
The reel is the part of the grass trimmer structure that is located inside the brush head, drum or bobbin. Heads may vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Now you need to understand how to properly remove the head from the grass trimmer and how to remove the drum from it.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the brushcutter head up and, grasping the casing, remove the special protective cover that is put on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installing the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the grass trimmer. In the event that the thread does not fit, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the brushcutter.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). It is necessary to ensure that the line sits evenly in the reel.
Do not forget that thick thread will be shorter than thin thread.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is longer than the other by 0.1-0.15 m.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be tightened to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
- Locate the slot inside the coil baffle. Carefully pass the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding of the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. there should be an arrow on it.
- If it was not possible to find an arrow-pointer, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. It is necessary to inspect the coil head. There is a direction indicator on it. However, this is the direction of movement of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. Follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise the grass trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user winds almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before that threading the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until you hear a characteristic click).
- Remained to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the grass trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
But before I reveal the secret, a few words about how I tried to reel. Don’t have time to read? Then the answer is a few paragraphs below. You can follow this label
One day, the factory line ran out in the middle of the site. I have to finish the mowing, so I’m going for a new skein. I will refuel. Along the way, I remember the seller’s words about how to crank up this operation. We did not dwell on this moment in detail. He said something about the difficulty of disassembly. I nodded my head and said “aha”. Eh, I had to torture him and write everything down.
The first step is to remove the head from the grass trimmer. I fix the shaft with a hexagon. I unscrew it clockwise. Left-hand thread.
It is necessary to disassemble the head. But from which side to approach? I see two petals with the inscription Push. I try to press. Do not give in. I arm myself with a screwdriver with a thin wide slot. After 10-15 minutes, the nozzle appears in front of me disassembled. You can breathe out.
The Patriot trimmer head consists of four parts. One of them is a double flute reel. She’s a spool. The fishing line will have to be wound on it. The question is how to do it. Due to my inexperience, I did it in such a way: I bend the line in half and start winding from the loop, just putting it into one of the grooves. Then he took it out through the fixing slots in the side and assembled the head.
It was important to choose the right winding direction. If I wound it clockwise, then the line immediately flew off. If counterclockwise, then for some time it was possible to mow. But in the process of work, the line was quickly consumed. I realized that I was wrong with the winding.
How long to fill the line?
In the patriot coil, it took me about 10 meters of 3 mm thick cord. To determine more precisely, you need to wind the fishing line under the very sides. Last time I bought tackle at Ozone. I chose a thickness of 2.4 mm. I think it will be refueled more: twelve will definitely be cleaned.
Patriot Line and Reel: How to Make Them Together
Almost like in the fable about the monkey and glasses, I tried to fit the line to the reel of the grass trimmer. I relied on my intuition, but I miscalculated. You just had to read the instructions or take an Internet tip
If you find yourself on this page, you probably have a question: “how do you wind the line on the Patriot reel”. I will try to explain it, relying on my scanty experience as a grass cutter. I hope this story will help you avoid my mistakes and keep your nerves. And the time saved will be spent on mowing tall grass.
What does the instruction say
The information we need is on the eighth page.
Remove excess old line before threading new line. To do this, on the back side of the coil, press the two latches with the inscription Push and open the coil. After removing any residue, reassemble the coil in reverse order.
Rotate the center button to align the direction of the arrow on the button with the outlet holes in the housing.
Measure about 4 m of trimmer line and thread one end into either of the two outlets until the line comes out of the opposite hole. It is necessary that the two lengths of line coming out of the reel are approximately the same.
Thread the spool with line by turning the knob clockwise. The direction of rotation for winding with the line is additionally indicated on the spool body.
Two minutes on YouTube solved the problem. It turns out that a through hole passes through the spool. It goes along the diameter. The fishing line is passed through it and pushed further. The spool should be in the middle of the line. We align the lengths of both ends and make them the same.
Below are some photos to explain the process.
Let’s remember what a patriot grass trimmer-head looks like. Orange body and gray lamb. After many thousands of revolutions, the round workaholic loses its ceremonial appearance.
The same spool-reel sits inside. Also in orange.
The task is to find a hole and stick a fishing line through it.
The final step is the assembly: the spool and the spring are put in place, the line is in the feed holes, the parts of the head body are brought together and snapped into place. The simplest remains. twist the lamb. The winding direction is indicated by the arrow.
If you do the coil indiscriminately, then you need to combine the arrow on the wing with the triangles on the orange case. Then the hole on the coil will be just along the gray arrow of the lamb, and along the edges it will be combined with the outputs on the body. Then you can thread the line. However, this option did not work for me. The line stubbornly rested on something. Therefore, I did the option with the parsing of the head described above.
The line slowly went inside, leaving two short mustaches.
I screwed the attachment to the trimmer. I start the engine. I run rather to test. Full gas and first pass. The line is in place. Dropped a full tank. The thread did not fly off anymore.
Review about Siat line from Ozone
Took to replace the old Echo. Its thickness was 3mm. New Siatovskaya by 2.4 mm. Sectional shape is rectangular. Soft. Easy to wrap. It is convenient to mow. Of course, he doesn’t take thick chips, but he copes with medium grass.
I’ll go over the basic steps I took to wind the line on the Patriot reel. The main part naturally follows the instructions. The only difference is that I disassembled the head.
- Remove trimmer head
- Disassemble the head to gain access to the coil
- Determine how much fishing line you need by winding it on a reel to the eyeballs
- Slide the line through the hole in the spool so that it divides in half
- Assemble the head
- Wind the line with a lamb clockwise
- Turn the lamb arrow away from the triangles on the body
In the next post I will tell you what kind of oil I put in my Patriot and how I prepare the fuel mixture.