How To Wind The Line To The Reel Of The Mower Trimmer
How do I wind the line around the Patriot trimmer reel?
How do I wind the line around the Patriot trimmer reel? What are the rules for changing the line? How to properly thread the line? What are the refueling errors? What to consider when threading the line into the trimmer spool?
How do I wind the line around the Patriot trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. While changing your line is easy, you need to learn how to do it right. Changing the fishing line with proper skill will take no more than five minutes. You just have to constantly practice it. This article will walk you through changing the line using the Patriot trimmers as an example.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower with its head up and, grasping the cover, remove the special protective cover on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the next instructions.
The installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). Make sure that the line sits flat in the spool.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
- Find the notch inside the coil baffle. Gently thread the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. There should be an arrow on it.
- If the arrow-pointer could not be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. Inspect the coil head. It has a direction indicator. However, this is the direction of travel of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. Follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user has wound up almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before passing the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until a characteristic click is heard).
- Remained to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can trim it with scissors.
Although winding the line is a very simple task, many beginners can wind the line incorrectly. Below are the most common mistakes.
- Many people, when measuring the thread, think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less and, accordingly, they do not have enough line. Do not be afraid to measure out a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a rush, some people do not follow the threading grooves inside the spool and wind the thread randomly. This will cause the line to come out of the reel and may even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate line. This error is the most common. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the line, but also its type. You should not use the first line that comes across for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, you do not need to use a thread on young grass if you need to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until fully wound and collected. While this is obvious, some people do it in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon come out of working condition.
It is quite common for beginners to make mistakes, so you must follow the tips in this article.
See below for how to replace the line on the Patriot trimmer.
Securing the line to the spool
The first thing to do is to attach the line to the spool of the reel. It can be backing or the main cord itself. It doesn’t matter. Some anglers neglect the moment of fastening, hoping that there is a lot of fishing line on the spool, everything will not unwind. As a result, on a long cast and a powerful bite, the entire line is exhausted, and the happy and lively fish leaves, taking all the equipment as a keepsake. You lose an expensive line and the pleasure of fishing, but you gain experience: in every unpredictable case, you need to tie a fishing line!
If you do not know how to knit the most complex knots, an ordinary one will do. Self-tightening option: holds it securely, fits instantly. Lovers of special fishing aesthetics can be recommended more complex greenner, arbor, blood knot.
It is reasonable to make one more manipulation with the fishing line: you can fix it on the spool using electrical tape or adhesive tape in the direction of the cord. No matter how strong the knot is, it will still slide without additional fixation. Just try to avoid sudden changes that can negatively affect the quality of the winding.
When wound correctly, the cord will lay in accordance with the spool profile. The following types of profiles are distinguished:
- Cylindrical. The profile winding is distributed evenly throughout the bobbin. The result is the correct cylinder.
- Straight tapered. Near the front side, the winding is minimal in diameter, the profile grows gradually towards the back side.
- Reverse tapered. The opposite situation: the base of the truncated cone (profile) is at the front side, the top is at the rear.
- Chaotic. This option, in fact, is not constructively provided: a chaotic profile makes casting much more difficult. However, many Chinese models of the lower price segment suffer from just such a disadvantage due to poor-quality assembly.
Most spinners and feeders practice winding the line in the form of a cylinder or inverse cone. Adjustment is carried out by installing washers of a certain diameter in the desired order. In a word, do not be lazy to read the instructions and work with your hands. However, these nuances are secondary for lovers of an individual approach: branded reels are sold already with installed and perfectly adjusted washers.
Determining the length of the line and backing
On spools issued by reputable manufacturers, their capacity is indicated, that is, how many meters of a thread of a certain thickness they can hold. The currently accepted classification is from Shimano. The lightest and smallest is the model marked “1000” (this figure comes from the product of the diameter of the fishing line by its length in millimeters), used for spinning “ultralight”.
The most common is the variant marked “3000” for rods of the middle class, which are rightfully considered the most versatile. By simple calculations, you can understand that a spool of such a model will fit 100 meters of line with a diameter of 0.3 mm. However, such a thick line is not always necessary, especially when it comes to braiding. We take half the value and we get 200 meters of expensive high-quality cord, which with intensive use may not withstand a full season.
For the sake of economy (by the way, quite justified), many anglers wind on the reel exactly as much working line as is needed to achieve the maximum casting distance. However, for fishing efficiency and comfort, it is necessary that the reel is almost completely full. A distance of a couple of millimeters from the edge of the spool is still acceptable, but then problems begin.
If you do not want to incur unnecessary costs, we recommend using backing, that is, bobbin auxiliary filling. Usually, inexpensive monofilament of small diameter is used as backing. It is better not to use a thick monofilament: it gives unwanted height differences. If you wish, you can use last year’s cord as a basis, which has lost some of its valuable properties and is no longer suitable as a main line. Another option. To wrap the spool with electrical tape. Should be used only in extreme cases: it is not the most convenient way, and it is problematic to achieve perfect winding.
How do you determine the amount of backing and line you need? Do not measure them with a ruler, after all! Ideally, it is better to use a special line counter, mechanical or electronic. These devices are usually inexpensive and make life much easier for the angler. Advanced models attach directly to the rod and improve casting accuracy, which is especially important for feeder fishing. So, you definitely won’t have to regret the money spent on purchasing this handy “gadget”.
The second option for winding the line is more cumbersome. You need two reel spools of the same capacity. First we wind a working cord on one of them (there is always much less of it), then backing, until the spool is filled. Then we rewind to the second spool, and the backing is in the place intended for it. Below, under the main cord.
How to properly wind the line around the trimmer spool?
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for quite some time, it is still a novelty for some owners of private houses. This is why there are often questions about how to properly wind the line on an electric or gasoline trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly in order to achieve the desired result. Over, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers provide an answer to this sore question. Study the article to find out how the line winds around the trimmer reel.
The procedure for winding the line on the trimmer spool
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working attachments. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of the line. This point should be taken into account when purchasing consumables.
So how do you load the line into the trimmer reel? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the attachment by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press with your fingers on the two latches located on different sides of the entrance, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry off the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: reels with automatic line feed have a spring that can forcefully throw the cover along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove the old line scraps.
- Now you need to find the middle of the line. To do this, unwind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut it and fold it in half.
- Hook the middle of the line into the existing recess or insert into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by an arrow, which is usually marked on the trimmer reel body (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided spool: in this case, the line should be wound in different directions: one end in one direction, the other in the other, while the loop of the line must be wound into the dividing slot in the middle.
- Leave loose ends of the line about 20cm each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step will be the assembly of the drum. Reinstall the washers and spring. On the top ring of the reel there are two notches where you need to tuck the antennae of the fishing line. Thread them through the holes and place the spool in the drum, taking care to tighten the line without dislodging the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a distinctive click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess line will be cut off by the trimmer blade.
As you can see, winding the line on the trimmer reel is easy: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will come in handy when choosing a fishing line, winding it and subsequent work:
- Fishing line comes in different thicknesses and with different sections. The best option for winding is the “native” line for this model;
- Never use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. This replacement may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawnmower himself, but also those around him;
- The line is cut when the trimmer is in contact with hard objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop every time, turn off the device and rewind the line on the reel;
- Use regular line for cutting lawn grass and braid line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not constantly cut.
How to rewind?
Knowing how the reel is disassembled can speed up the line change process. It all depends on what design the coil has and how many antennae. Threading into a spool that has only one working mustache is quite easy, especially if you stick to a consistent plan.
Depending on the parameters of the reel and the length of the line set initially, it is recommended to choose a string from 2 to 5 meters.
First, remove the bobbin from the tool and then open it.
One end of the line must be inserted into the hole inside the bobbin.
Next, the string should be wound onto the drum. And this is done in the opposite direction from the normal rotation of the spool. Usually, the trimmers on the inside of the bobbin have an arrow that indicates in which direction to wind.
Part of the line must be pulled out and fixed in a special groove located on the inside of the reel. Its purpose is to hold the winding while bringing the bobbin into working condition.
The end of the string must be threaded through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
At the last stage, you need to collect the parts of the bobbin and put them on the mower bar.
The installation of the line on a reel with two mustaches occurs in a slightly different way. First, you need to determine how many grooves go along the inside of the reel on which the line is put on. There are options with one groove, and then both mustaches must be wound together. There are also models with two grooves, when each of the mustaches goes separately.
Lawnmower fishing line: how to choose and reel?
- How to choose the right line?
- Device in the mower
- How to rewind?
- Safety engineering
With the arrival of spring, summer cottages become the main residence of many of our compatriots. However, with the arrival of warm days, there is such a problem as fast-growing grass. It is inconvenient to constantly mow it with a hand scythe, and not all types of grass lend themselves to this old working tool. It is much more convenient to use modern lawn mowers for these purposes. Particularly popular among them are devices with a fishing line, which is easy to change if necessary.
How to choose the right line?
Nylon lines are suitable for both electric and gas powered trimmers. This consumable can be used for both hand tools and a wheeled lawnmower. It is important to choose the right line, as this directly affects both the result of the work and the service life of the unit. Of course, it is very easy to get confused in the offered assortment of lines, especially for beginners. However, there is a lot of advice from experts and those who have already tried various options.
For an electric trimmer less than 500 W, a thin line with a diameter of 1 to 1.6 mm is suitable. She will perfectly cut lawns with low grass. If the power of the tool is in the range from 0.5 to 1 kW, then it is better to give preference to a line with a diameter of 2 mm or slightly more.
For petrol trimmers and lawn mowers, line less than 3 mm must not be taken. Such a thickness will make it easy to cope with any weeds, dry stems, dense grass. Diameter over 4 mm is only suitable for high power lawn mowers. It turns out that thick line is necessary for powerful technique. It is not recommended for use with low power trimmers, otherwise it will not perform well, constantly winding around the reel and creating additional stress on the engine.
Typically, a standard package contains up to 15 meters of line. However, to replace the string on a reel, a length of about 7 meters is sufficient. It also happens that the line is produced in bays of 250-500 meters. When choosing a string, it is imperative to specify the date when it was produced. Nylon that is too old can dry out and become too brittle. If this happens, then you can soak the line for a couple of hours in water, but it will not be completely the same.
When choosing, an important parameter is the section of the string, which can be of several types.
The round section is versatile. It is used for mowing grass of medium thickness and density. It may make excessive noise during operation, but it is not used too quickly.
A square or polygonal section is more efficient than a round one. Due to the sharp corners, the stems of plants are cut at a faster speed and better quality.
Ribbed, twisted and star-shaped sections are the most effective. Such a fishing line manages to mow the grass very quickly. And its main disadvantage is its rapid wear.
Trimmer line is made of nylon, which is durable, lightweight, low cost and durable. To make the cost of the material even cheaper, polyethylene is added to it, but then the line overheats faster. Thick strings have a graphite or steel rod. Sometimes they are reinforced, which increases strength and service life.