How to Wrap Fishing Line Coil Trimmer Correctly?
How to wind a fishing line on a trimmer
To wrap a fishing line on a gas or electric trimmer, you do not need to have any special skills. To begin with, it is important to determine the appropriate consumables, and then choose the best method. Fill fishing line into the reel of the device using two different methods.
Types of Trimmer Heads for Coils
The main elements of the trigger is a mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a coil (bobbin) inserted inside. The fishing line (cord) is refueled into it. The heads differ from each other in the way the cord is fed and refueled. There are three types of heads:
- Automatic. Submission of fishing line is carried out after this, as the user reduces engine speed. Automatic feed of the cord is very convenient when you need to perform a large amount of work. The disadvantage of such a head is the high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. The use of such a head does not require the user to perform any complex manipulations. The principle of its work is arranged so that the fishing line begins to automatically lengthen at a time when the trimmer is working at full speed. It is only necessary to slightly hit the head of the apparatus on the ground (this will remove the blockage of the fishing line), and the cord will be pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force. Then the fishing line is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective casing.
- Manual To lengthen the cord, you must stop the device. After that, the fishing line will need to be pulled out manually.
Types of trim coils
Fishing line selection
To ensure that the fishing line in the trimmer head is successful, it is important not to lose money with the choice of consumables. The thicker the cord you fill, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often used universal fishing line, the diameter of which is 2 mm. You can select the diameter suitable for the mower in the following ways:
- See the line thickness information in the instructions that came with the trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes it displays information about the possible diameters of the fishing line.
- Another option is to try inserting the cord into the outlet. If it easily passes into it, then the selected diameter of the fishing line is suitable for use.
You can pick up the cord by the type of engine. If the fishing line is too thick, the rotation resistance will increase. The engine in this case will overheat and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electrical device with an engine less than 500 V, a thread 1.3 mm thick is suitable. If this was not found, then you can use a 1.6 mm fishing line. If the power is greater than 1 kW, then select a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- For a gas trimmer, a shaft mower matters. For a bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install a thread of 2.4–2.5 or 3 mm. The thickest fishing line is installed on powerful devices. From 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord. Some popular options:
- The most common fishing lines with a circular cross section. They mow fresh herbs well, but do worse with shrubs, dead trees.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated thread with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can even mow the lawn with a rectangular, star or square fishing line for a trimmer, but they are not very durable.
- The most durable is a two-component cord with an inner core and a round cross-section.
Types of fishing line for trimmer
Please note that instead of fishing line, wire, metal strings and cables, as well as ordinary fishing thread, cannot be used. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the cable or similar products will gradually start to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and small pieces will fly apart at high speed.
Removing and disassembling the coil
The mowing trimmer head consists of a casing, a spring (not in every model), a bobbin with cord, and a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the coil of the electrical unit, be sure to disconnect the trimmer from the mains. The disassembly method depends on the attachment of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches), which are located on its two sides.
- Remove the cover under which you will see the spool. Remove it from the housing. For some trimmer coils, there is a spring under the bobbin, which must also be carefully pulled out.
- Having removed the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the case. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, swinging it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second embodiment, the trimmer head is screwed onto the gear shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. For this, a hole is provided in such devices through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Brief Instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, and then lock the shaft.
- Grasp the body of the head and start twisting it. This should be done clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is left.
Winding fishing line on a reel
Winding fishing line
Filling the fishing line into the reel of the trimmer is a relatively simple procedure, provided that you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it onto the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Having determined the cord length, follow the following instructions:
- Fold the consumable in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- You need to start charging with the central side, which divides the trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the latter in half.
- Decide in which direction you need to wind the line. To do this, look at the bobbin, which may be an arrow or an inscription. She indicates the side of the winding. If there are no signs on the reel, then look at the arrow on the mowing head. Carry out the winding in the opposite direction.
- Wash the consumables carefully, turn to turn. Try to maintain maximum thread tension.
- After laying the cord, fasten the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the coil, which will fit in diameter. Second end (genuine), attach to the groove on the other side of the trimmer bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends. Remember to leave allowances of approximately 10 cm.
- Install the refilled coil to the mower head of the device. To do this, you need to alternately insert and pull the thread into the outlet of the head, then to place the bobbin of the device in the skin.
- After applying the required force, pull the cord out of the locking grooves and tighten the material. At the end of this step, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Step-by-step winding of fishing line onto a reel
You can wind the cord on the trimmer in another way, in which two pieces of material are charged instead of one. Replacement is as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord in the form of a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin there should be a hole that is designed to fix the fishing line. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the trimmer coil.
- The same actions need to be done for the second bobbin cell.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
How to reel a fishing line on a trimmer reel: key points
A gasoline or electric trimmer is an indispensable assistant in the arsenal of a modern summer resident or the owner of his own house.
Thanks to these garden devices, you can easily mow down even a large garden plot. After acquiring this tool and doing a few tricks, many people think about how to properly wind the line onto the trimmer reel. For an inexperienced user, the first operation to replace it will seem problematic and time-consuming, since developers often do not fully reflect the instructions for replacing the fishing line in the instruction manual.
Preparation for winding fishing line
Prior to the winding process, it is necessary to remove the reel with fishing line from the housing. Depending on the manufacturer, power and type (electric or gasoline), there are three structural types of trimmers:
- Compact electric trimmers.
Straight Bar Trimmer
In such a model, it is possible to install a knife. Removing the coil in such models is done by means of two keys recessed into the coil body. To install the trimmer knife, it is necessary to combine the hole of the bobbin and the rod, and then insert the device in the form of a steel pin (screwdriver, iron bar). After fixing the coil, it is easy to unscrew the housing by hand clockwise.
Winding fishing line on trimmer
The measured and accurate dismantling of the spool from the spit reel makes it possible to go directly to the winding of the fishing line. The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today, there are several varieties of reels, depending on the number of antenna line fishing line and methods of refueling:
- Trimmer head with one working antennae;
- A bobbin with two antennae fishing line;
- Auto winding reel.
Single-Barrel Trimmer Coil
Single-mustache lawn mowing coil
Many owners and specialists note the simplicity of operation and refueling reels with one mustache. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the fishing line can vary from 2 to 5 meters. The end of the line is inserted into the head into a special technological groove or hole, and winding is made in the direction opposite to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most coils on the outside of the case have marks in the form of arrows that indicate the direction of movement of the trimmer bobbin.
After winding, you need to leave a free end of 15-30 cm to enhance centrifugal force, which is crucial when removing the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic reels. We pass the left end through the working hole of the coil and assemble the head.
Double Antenna Trimmer
Two groove head
After removing the spool from the coil body, we determine the number of streams for winding fishing line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but with careless refueling in a twin groove, there are problems with operation. Due to the likelihood of weaving adjacent tool strings, a situation may arise when it is impossible to remove new ones after wear of the working antennae.
Regardless of the number of streams for refueling, a fishing line from 1.5 to 3 meters long is taken. Winding must be done in the direction opposite to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will cause the line to not be removed from the reel. After the fishing line is tucked into the trimmer coil, free ends (15-30 cm) are threaded through special holes. Next, we collect the head in the reverse disassembly order and check the performance. Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer, the knife installed on the guard will cut off the excess.
Trimmer head with automatic threading
Types of Trimmer Heads
In some models available on the market, a reel with an automatic winding mechanism is installed. It is enough for the owner to correctly tuck and fix the ends in the head, and the tool itself will perform the winding operation when it is switched on in the operating mode. It is almost impossible to wind a fishing line into a trimmer with such a head, since the coil independently determines the position of the antennae. The advantages of an automatic trimmer head include the ease of refueling fishing line, and the disadvantages are frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and high cost.
How to wind a fishing line on a trimmer reel: winding methods and
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can flood the area. To defeat them without excessive efforts will help the trimmer. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It’s no secret that a conventional lawn mower can be used far from everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very complex areas. This is especially true for those tools in which the cutting element is not a knife, but a fishing line.
Features of the use of trimmers
The trimmer mowing grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flower beds, aisles in the garden.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, as a trimmer, exists in several variations:
As the names indicate, the types of trimmer are noticeably different from one another. But regardless of the type of tool, it the cutting element may be a fishing line. Of course, the line tucked into the reel of the trimmer is not infinite. And sooner or later it will be required to replace it with a new one.
The consumption of fishing line depends on on frequency of use device and scope of work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with a trimmer, the more actively the line is consumed in it. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to fill the fishing line into the coil of the trimmer?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But winding fishing line on a reel plays an important role in the trimmer. In order for the device to function normally, it is very important to correctly wind a new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
Which fishing line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for refueling in the trimmer, you need to make a choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Type selection. A fishing line with a circular cross section is the most common. It will fit any coil with the rarest exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for mowing fresh, juicy grass. But mowing the so-called dead wood, this species may no longer be able to cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow shrubs with this thread.
Besides the usual type, there are others, having sharp edges. Usually they are made with an “asterisk” or “square”. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference of these threads.
It is because of this peculiarity that the threads of such species are able to mow dry weeds. But the pointed threads are not without flaws, the main of which can be called quick wear and strength noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the types of woods already mentioned, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside of which stretched metal wire. Threads of this type are often used in tools that run on gasoline and have an engine more powerful than one and a half horsepower.
Threads with a metal core are like with round section and with sharp edges. Regardless of the type of cross-section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming mowing plants. Threads belonging to this type easily mow not only dry grass, but even small shrubs.
Threads with wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables incredible durability. But unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable effect on the price of this type. The cost of threads with a core significantly exceeds the cost of threads of other types.
In addition, special attention should be paid to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter within one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it can overpower.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness there is one “but”. It is important not only to evaluate the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Necessary look in the user manual, which is attached to the tool and find information about the requirements for the cutting element.
Using the wrong thread may cause the tool to malfunction. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the motor of the device. And the use of too thin thread at times will increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why it is necessary to approach the choice of consumables no less responsibly than to refuel it in the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and acquired, you can begin to consider ways to wind it on a reel.
How to wind a line onto a trim reel
At first glance, refueling a fishing line into a tool reel is not an easy task. But it is enough to carefully study this process. And in the future, all necessary actions will be carried out without any difficulties.
To learn how to refill a fishing line with a trimmer, read this guide. The step-by-step instruction below takes into account the features of the coils of different types of trimmers, therefore applicable to any instrument.
So, the procedure is as follows.
- The fishing reel is the bottom end of the trimmer. First things first, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is mounted. It is necessary to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. It is easiest to do this by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft thread through a special hole. When the shaft is locked, you can unscrew the coil.
- At this stage, the bobbin to attach the fishing line to is removed from the head. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find the latch on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it with effort. Keeping the lock pressed, turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It needs to be temporarily set aside so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding to the line of winding fishing line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If it contains the remains of an old fishing line, they must be removed. When the bobbin is clean, you can begin preparing a new skein.
- It is necessary to measure and cut six (maximum. Seven) meters from a previously prepared skein of new fishing line. The bobbin should be at hand.
At this point, actually begins the key stage, which this article is devoted to.
The first way to wind the line
The right amount of fishing line is cut off. Now you need to carefully inspect the bobbin, in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they are slightly different from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two compartments. Upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing face does not close into the ring and has a recess.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it on the sides on both sides there are small through holes. The method of winding the thread needs to be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It’s best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then the place of the bend must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the fishing line should be at the top of the reel, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can proceed directly to winding. You need to wind it in the direction that the arrow on the bobbin points. When winding, you need to hold the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half is wound into the upper part of the spool, and the lower half. Into the lower part. Each half should remain free about fifteen centimeters from the end.
- In the upper face of the bobbin there are small recesses (or, in other words, grooves) for fixing the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these recesses so that they are fixed one opposite the other.
- The final stage of refueling consumables in the tool. The ends attached to the bobbin must be threaded into the corresponding holes in the trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now it remains only to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring is carefully placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the loose ends of the thread be pulled outward. To do this, you need to take turns pulling the ends of the consumable so as to remove them from the grooves of the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads out a little. They should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While holding the bobbin down, put a cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the most recent action. The head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is completed. The line is tucked into a reel. The trimmer is ready for further work.
Second winding method
- A previously prepared six-meter-long section, it is required to bend exactly in the middle and cut it. Thus, two segments of the same length are obtained.
- At one end of each segment you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, it is necessary to bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and briefly fix it so that the “hook” does not bend.
- Then one piece is taken. A “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key stage. Winding. The direction in which you want to wind is indicated by the arrow on the bobbin. It is important to ensure that the line is wound strictly within the top of the reel. Winding the thread to the very tip is not necessary. From the end should remain free about fifteen centimeters.
- In the upper face of the coil there are small recesses (the so-called grooves) for fixing the consumable. The loose “tail” of the thread must be inserted into one of these recesses.
- The top of the coil is tucked. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom. The second length of thread is taken. A “hook” is threaded through a hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can begin to reel the fishing line (within the lower compartment). And at this stretch of free you also need to leave about fifteen centimeters from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the recess opposite to the one into which the end of the first segment is inserted.
The subsequent steps for this type of coil are exactly the same as those described for the previous type in steps five through nine.
This is how the fishing line in the trimmer coil changes. Nothing no complicated in the process. And after a few refueling completed, all actions will reach automatism.
To visually study the process described above, you can turn to the Internet for help. The popular YouTube portal has many differents with a demonstration of winding fishing line on a trimmer reel.
How to reel a fishing line onto a trim reel. Walkthrough
How to choose a fishing line. Length, diameter, restrictions
Important TO REMEMBER! Do not use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. Such a replacement is not effective and dangerous. A cable can injure not only the mower itself, but also others.
As for the length, it is worth counting on the estimated frequency of use of the trimmer. The more often, the more it is worth stocking up consumables.
Information on the possible diameter of the fishing line can be found on the hull. Trimmer reels. Most likely, the range will be indicated there. Thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the appropriate option, taking into account the features of the cultivated area. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow hard grass.
Preparation. Remove and disassemble the spool
In most models of electric and gas trimmers, you need to remove the coil to replace the fishing line. The FUBAG tool allows you to skip this step. In order for the instruction to be universal, we will nevertheless consider it in detail:
1. Lock the shaft. Insert the locking element into the corresponding hole. It can be a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
2. Unscrew the bobbin case. In our example, strictly in the clockwise direction.
3. Unscrew the cover in the direction indicated on the housing.
4. Take out the coil for winding.
The preparatory phase is over. You can proceed to winding fishing line.
How to wind a line onto a trim reel
2. Insert the resulting loop into the groove.
3. Lay the fishing line in the direction indicated on the element body.
4. Insert the short end into the groove on the side of the coil.
5. Fasten the long end in the opposite groove.
6. Place the reel with wound fishing line into the bobbin case.
7. Pull the fishing line out of the locking grooves.
8. Put on a cover and fix.
9. Trim the ends of the fishing line, leaving 10 to 15 centimeters.
Replacing the fishing line is completed and now it remains only to fasten the bobbin to the trimmer and you can work.
Attention! Common fishing line problems
No wonder they say: “Forewarned is forearmed“. Knowing about possible problems and the reasons for their occurrence, you can prevent them in a timely manner. We recommend remembering or leaving a memo.