How You Can Cut Tiles At Home
We make a drink at 45 degrees
Ceramic pencil skirting is best for protecting the sharp outer corners of tiles
If you are using a professional electric tile cutter, the tilting platform there makes it easy to make a 45-degree angle on the tile bevel, but not everyone has such a tool. It is easy to make such an angle on your own using the same angle grinder “by eye”. The disc is guided along the line of the cut, with the disc tilted slightly inward.
Undercut tiles at 45 degrees
Cutting tiles with a manual tile cutter
How a manual tile cutter works
- The tile is inserted into the tile cutter, and the markings on it are aligned with a special mark.
- The handle is lowered and held away from you. It must be driven at the same speed and even pressure so that the roller cuts the glaze to the same depth. It will be enough to run the roller once. If driven several times, the breakage may turn out to be of poor quality.
- Next to the roller there are special paws that lower and break the tiles into 2 parts, after a sharp push on the lever. In this case, all tile cutters have a metal tubercle on their platform, and soft pads along the edges. When you press on the edges of the tile with your paws, maximum stress will be created at the notch, if correctly aligned with the backing, and it will evenly break off.
It is difficult to explain this in words, so it is easier to watch a video that shows how to cut tiles with a tile cutter correctly:
High-quality tile cutters allow you to cut even 10 mm thick tiles without any problems. It doesn’t matter at what angle you cut it: at least 45 degrees, at least 30.
How to choose the right disc by tile
For cutting, metal discs are used with diamond plating along its edges. But they are different: for concrete, brick, stone. Tiled discs do not have any holes, the soldering on them is uniform and smooth. Discs for concrete have slots on the solder, and will chip when vibrated. If you cut ceramic tiles with them, then these chips can fly into your face.
Tile cutter tongs
Tile cutting tongs are the cheapest (200-400 rubles), and they are only suitable for small volumes of work with thin ceramic tiles at home.
After notching, press down on the tile with a cracking pliers
- Make markings taking into account all gaps and seams (-5 mm).
- Attach a metal ruler to the mowing line and slide the cutter along it once. The pressure should be moderate to form a visible streak. Lead him from the far end to you.
- Place the tongs with their feet along the mowing line of the crowbar near the edge. The sponges should be on top of the glaze and the straight part on the bottom. the line of the break should run right in the middle between the edges of the upper lip.
- Press gently on the handles to break off the tiles. At the same time, do not raise it high, otherwise after falling it will break.
How to cut a tile with the letter “G”
Since the tile cutter can only cut the tiles straight, many have difficulty with L-shaped cutouts. The easiest option is to divide this tile into 2 rectangular elements, but then you get an extra ugly seam that will catch your eye.
But this can be avoided by trimming the short side with an angle grinder and then cutting the long side with a tile cutter.
Step-by-step instructions on how to make L-shaped cuts on tiles
The second method: by any method available to you, a cut is made on the glaze, and the excess is gradually broken off with pliers. Irregularities are sanded with sandpaper. This option will even allow you to get a rounded incision for abutting the risers.
3 ways to cut tiles at home
Any ceramic tile laying process is not complete without cutting it. There will be a lot of it especially if you use some kind of non-standard layout, for example, diagonally. In the last article, we talked about which layout is better to choose in order to get uniform and beautiful cuts everywhere. Now we will talk about how to properly cut tiles at home.
As you know, the tile is made of baked clay, which is covered with glaze on top. It’s hard to break it with your hands, but if it lies on any unevenness, then it easily cracks from a small load. To simplify this process and make the required break line, you need to loosen the top layer of the glaze. that is, cut it, and therefore make efforts to break.
There are 3 main ways to do this:
- Special tool. manual, electric tile cutter or special tongs.
- Angle Grinder.
- Other handy sharp tools.
Let’s talk in more detail about each tile cutting method.
Fast navigation through the article
How to cut porcelain stoneware
It is believed that porcelain stoneware is the hardest material from which floor tiles are made. You can trim it in the same way as a regular tile.
Sometimes simple floor tiles are more difficult to cut than porcelain stoneware. There is a hardened tile on which, after cutting with a tile cutter, almost no notch in the glaze is visible. And even a diamond disc does not take it on an angle grinder. the cut turns out to be torn, like after a tractor. In such cases, you need to use an angle grinder, and file a groove 2-3 mm from the back to mark the place of the break.
Electric tile cutter
If you have a large amount of work, then the fastest and highest quality cut comes from an electric tile cutter. They use a diamond wheel and supply water to the cutting site to cool and remove dust. The cheapest types of amateur class can be found on sale for 3-4 thousand rubles.
Technology for cutting tiles for the floor in the apartment
In order to make it easier to cut the tiles, you need to properly prepare the material. Softening ceramic tiles at home is achieved by soaking in water for half an hour. This simple procedure removes dust, reduces brittleness and increases material flexibility. After that, it is not difficult to cut it even with an ordinary stationery knife and glass cutter.
The best way to cut floor tiles is using the electric version of the diamond wire jigsaw. To do this, after laying, fix the tile on a flat surface of a chair or table. In this case, the area with the drawn line on the front side should be suspended. By running the tool along the mowing line, you can get an even cut line without chips.
- You can solve this problem at home with a drill using special attachments. The attachments can be as follows:
- “Ballerina”, working like a compass;
- tubular drill;
- conventional drill.
Tiles are easy to cut with wet cutting attachments
It is better to drill the floor tiles with a universal drill with a victorious finish. In this case, before drilling, it is necessary to prepare the point of application of force, destroying the enamel. The drill must be periodically moistened with water.
Tile cutter tongs
This is a small budget option for cutting tiles. There is a cutting wheel on one side and a transverse plate on the other. With its help, it is quite easy to cut ceramics. This will require a straight edge ruler on one side.
Tile cutter is used for simple cutting
How to cut tiles
- The desired distance is marked on one side of the tile on the front side.
- Along the mowing line marking from the far edge of the tile towards you, an incision is made once with medium pressure. The result is a visible streak.
- The transverse plate of the forceps must be placed on top of the front side so that the line of the fracture runs strictly in the center of the plate.
- At the last stage, when the tongs are gently squeezed, the tile breaks along an even mowing line.
- In the case of cutting thick tiles, it is recommended to also make a small groove on the inside with a depth of 2-3 mm.
In the process of laying tiles, they are faced with the need to cut through the tiles, make curly cutouts in order to bypass the bulges and pipes. Curly cutting is also possible with a glass cutter, however, in this case, you will additionally need special nippers and sandpaper.
Do you know how to cut floor tiles at home using the tools at hand??
With the advancement of technology, the popularity of ceramic flooring in buildings has increased. It is difficult to imagine kitchens, bathrooms and corridors without tiles, but ceramic coverings with heating are increasingly used for living rooms. Floor tiles are easy to clean, reliable, durable and visually attractive. Also, such coatings do not burn, are not afraid of water and do not cause allergies among residents.
- Technology for cutting tiles for the floor in the apartment
- Glass cutter and stationery knife
- Tile cutter tongs
- Angle Grinder
Laying tiles on the floor is not particularly difficult. Attention deserves how to properly cut or saw such material not “for wood”, but for the floor. Of course, such precise work can only be done by qualified specialists who use special equipment to cut tiles. a mechanical or electric tile cutter equipped with a diamond wheel and water supply directly to the cut line. With this device you can easily and quickly cut tiles.
Tile cutters are available mechanical and electrical
At home, it is not always possible to use a professional tile cutting tool. Firstly, it is not always advisable, since laying floor and wall tiles takes up a small part of the total repair volume. Secondly, the tile cutter has a fairly high cost, but allows you to work only with certain tile sizes.
He may not cope with non-standard options. Ceramic floor tiles differ from wall tiles in their thickness, relief, strength and structure. It takes more effort to cut it. Craftsmen have learned to solve such problems at home with the help of improvised tools and means. It is recommended to take advantage of their rich experience.
Floor tiles can be cut with:
- threaded lathe tool with a ruler;
- glass cutter;
- drills with a victorious tip;
- hacksaws for metal with an abrasive bar;
- “Angle Grinder”;
- an ordinary clerical knife;
- tile cutter-tongs.
Glass cutter and stationery knife
The main thing when cutting with these tools is accuracy and clarity of movements. You need to act calmly and consistently:
This option is more suitable for cutting thick tiles.
- use a flat surface of the floor, table or stool;
- put a tile on it with the front side up, make the necessary marks and use a ruler and a pencil to draw a fishing line;
- apply a ruler to the mowing line until it is completely aligned;
- make a clear cut along the ruler, pressing firmly on the glass cutter;
- tap along the notch;
- under the line of the cut, you can put a drill and, gently pressing on the edges, break the tile. If you place the tiles along the cut groove on the edge of the countertop and gently press down, you will also get a good result;
- with a good cut of the tile, it will break exactly along the mowing line.
You need to cut with a clerical knife using a similar technology. The only difference is that the cuts must be made several times on the same mowing line to deepen the furrow.
It should be noted that these methods are not suitable for cutting thick tiles. In such cases, it is necessary to duplicate the facial incision using a groove on the inside.
Large quantities of ceramic tiles can be cut with an “angle grinder” using a diamond disc. When carrying out these works at home, special attention should be paid to safety issues. The person working with this tool must have the necessary skills and follow clear rules. For example, tiles are cut strictly towards you. In this case, the tile must be rigidly fixed. The airway must be protected from dust with a mask.
Before learning how to properly cut an angle grinder, you need to properly prepare the tool.
In general, using the “angle grinder” at home has several disadvantages. First of all, there is an abundance of dust and noise. In addition, working with this tool is potentially hazardous and requires sufficient skill.
Depending on the availability of certain tools, you can choose the best repair option at home and after training on illiquid material, get to work.
Electric tile cutter
This tool, equipped with a diamond blade, is the most ideal device for cutting any kind of tile. At the same time, using the tile cutter’s circular saw, perfectly even cuts are obtained, the edges of which are slightly smoothed and rounded.
Electric tile cutting machine copes with any amount of work, no matter how large they are. The design of the perfect tool is capable of providing a high level of safety to the person working with it.
Important! It is forbidden to process stone tiles covered with carbide chips with an electric tile cutter. Since this causes the destruction of the diamond saw from interaction with this coating material.
The marked tiles are laid on the working platform of the tile cutter and slowly advanced under the diamond saw blade. At the same time, they try to hold the tile tightly, pressing it to the platform with both hands.
How to cut tiles with different tools
When carrying out facing works of any premises with the help of tiles, it is necessary to lay not only whole tiles, but also their parts. This raises the question of how to cut the tile so that the edges are smooth. It is even more important not to break the entire tile, the cost of which is quite high. Both tasks are achievable only if the craftsmen use special tools in their work, among which there are professional expensive equipment and cheap fixtures. When performing one-time work, you can use inexpensive tools.
Using the “angle grinder
A diamond disc mounted on an angle grinder allows you to quickly cut the tiles according to the markings made. With this universal tool, both straight and curved tiles can be cut. The advantage of an angle grinder over an electric tile cutter is its mobility. But it loses in terms of the quality of the cut obtained, after which the edges of the tile need additional processing (grinding).
Manual tile cutter
The manual tile cutter allows you to take tiles that are less than 6 mm thick. It is an affordable tool that allows you to quickly cut fragments of tiles according to the measurements taken. Such a tile cutter is convenient for those amateur craftsmen who perform cladding work with their own hands. Professionals use an electric tile cutter, which we’ll talk about a little later.
Important! The denser the structure of the tile, the easier it is to cut a narrow strip from it.
Handle the manual tile cutter as follows:
- marking is made on the surface of the tile with a felt-tip pen;
- the tile is laid on the base of the tool in such a way that the wheel coincides with the marking;
- skip the wheel along the mowing line of the marking once, controlling the handle of the glass cutter;
- with the help of “wings” the tile is fixed on both sides of the cut for even division into two parts;
- with a light movement of the hand, hit the handle, while getting the desired fragment for laying out the cut row.
Important! If after several hits the tile remains intact, then you should not waste time on this “tough nut” by taking another tile.
- When working with a power tool, use protective goggles to protect the eyes from small fragments of tiles.
- The manufacturer recommends to monitor the water level in the pan and responsible for cooling the cutting blade.
- Periodically, the water in the sump should be changed, as it heats up and becomes clogged with tile chips.
How to cut tiles
Manufacturers offer to use a different tool for cutting tiles, which can be selected depending on the volume and characteristics of the material chosen for the manufacture of tiles. The tile is cut:
- roller glass cutter;
- electric tile cutter;
- manual tile cutter;
- tile nippers;
- angle grinder (“angle grinder”).
Let’s dwell in more detail on the features of the application of each of the above tools.
Cutting tiles with a glass cutter
A straight cut of a tile with a glass cutter is quite simple to make, but you will have to tinker with curly cutting.
The operation is performed as follows:
- first, outline the line with a felt-tip pen or pencil, along which the cut will be made;
- with one hand they hold the tile, and with the other they confidently hold the glass cutter along the intended mowing line, while the tool is directed “towards you”; the glass cutter must be kept strictly at right angles;
- the cut tiles are placed on a wooden glazing bead and hit with the palm. the tile breaks exactly along the cut line of the cut.
Important! Working with a glass cutter requires skill, which is acquired with experience. Therefore, in this way you can cut a couple of tiles. To handle more tiles, more advanced fixtures should be used.
The main types of ceramic tiles
Tile, a fairly durable material, consists mainly of natural components, and therefore is rightfully considered an environmentally friendly material. It also has several other good qualities, one of which is resistance to high temperatures, and, if it is a facade tile, then also to weather changes.
Today the industry offers a fairly large selection of ceramic tiles.
Types of ceramic tiles:
- Bicottura, it is made using double firing and under the influence of the pressing process;
- Monocottura, the production technology of this tile is similar to the previous one, the only difference is that this type undergoes a single firing;
- Porcelain stoneware. this is one of the most famous types of tiles, it also goes through the stages of firing and pressing, but after that it undergoes additional mechanical processing.
Cutting ceramic tiles. methods and technology
How to cut tiles. tools and methods
The history of the appearance of tiles is rooted in the distant past and has many millennia. Suffice it to mention the fact that it was used to decorate the magnificent palaces of Ancient Rome and Greece. Since that time, the masters have mastered various methods of applying mosaics (the progenitor of tiles), creating amazing works on the walls of temples.
It is known that even then the masters knew how to correctly make and make a mosaic of a certain shape, but what tool they used to cut it is not known for certain.
Only one thing is absolutely clear, the method of making tiles has not undergone practically any changes over many centuries. It is still produced today from clay with the addition of sand, and further firing.
How to cut tile
How to cut floor tiles. stone cutting machine
Before starting work, the tiles must be well fixed. Then the cutting line is applied, and then trimming is performed on a machine that has a disc consisting of high-strength steel with a special diamond abrasive. To obtain a better result, the lower part of the disc is dipped into a bath filled with water so that there is not too much dust (wet cutting of tiles).
How to cut tiles. tile cutting tool
Very often, such a situation occurs in the process of laying ceramic tiles, when there are pipes in the repaired room that are not so easy to get around. This is where the need arises to cut the tiles to the desired size. Let’s move more specifically to the question: how can you cut tiles? Let’s start with what tool you can use for this:
- glass cutter;
- stone cutting machine;
- special nippers;
- electric tile cutter;
- electric drill;
- angle grinder.
How to cut tiles with a glass cutter
This is perhaps one of the easiest ways to cut tiles. But you need to remember one important rule. Before starting work, the tiles must be soaked in water for at least one hour. Then, on the surface of the tile, apply a fishing line along which the cut will pass.
The tile should be on a flat surface so that the cut is as even as possible. The cut itself is made smoothly, without sudden movements, and also without strong pressure on the glass cutter. The tile is laid along the table along the cut line of the cut, the cut is made, and then a slight pressure is applied on the cut line, and the second part should break off. This method is great for working with wall tiles.
How to cut tiles with a tile cutter
With an electric tile cutter, you can cut very thin strips of tiles up to 5 mm. And the principle of the tile cutter is practically the same as a stone cutting machine. The tile is cut with a circular saw, which must also have diamond dusting, and a bath of water is placed under the saw. You can cut relief tiles in the same way.
How to cut tiles with a tile cutter
This tool cuts any material up to metal and porcelain stoneware. For this, use a diamond-coated nozzle with a suitable grain size.
The most popular and used fixture
How to cut tile with an angle grinder:
- Attach the dry cutting blade to the tool, check the connection.
- Mark the line on the tile.
- Only work on the front side to avoid chipping.
- Secure the tile to the work surface so that it doesn’t move, but nothing gets in the way.
- Start from yourself. Hold the tile with one hand. Drive the disc slightly away from the line mowing line.
With an angle grinder, you can easily cut an L-shaped or simple figured fragment.
We cut tiles at home
During renovation work at home, it is often necessary to cut the tiles. The choice of tools is huge, today both modern electrical devices and manual ones, which have already become a kind of classics of the rifling business, are equally successful. In the article we will consider all the available options, and understand the rules in detail.
Cut fragments are an integral part of any cladding work
The main nuances of work
How to properly cut tiles with such tools? Let’s highlight a few points:
- Be sure to mark up the material;
- Water will soften the tiles and facilitate the cutting process, reduce the amount of dust;
- Work is carried out on the front side;
- The pressure on the material should be moderate, and the movement should be confident, but smooth;
- It is impossible to break tiles by force;
- Notches along the edges are cleaned with sandpaper.
All devices are divided into two groups: manual and electrical. The first ones are good because they take up little space, are easy to use, there is practically no dust, hands are not in danger. But with durable tiles, not all fixtures will work. This category includes glass cutter and manual tile cutter.
There are electrical analogs for these instruments. Despite their size and risk of injury, they provide a quick process, excellent quality and the ability to process a large amount of material of any strength. angle grinder and jigsaw are indispensable devices in the implementation of figured cutting.
Cutting tiles at home often involves dusty work, so take care to protect your eyes and breathing from small particles and debris. Get construction goggles and a respirator.
There are two types of tools: manual and electric. The first option is smaller and the majority have it on the farm.
Ideally, the tile is cut with a specially designed tool.
How to use a manual tile cutter:
- Wet the material with water.
- Mark the line of the break with a pencil. Apply oil to the area to facilitate the movement of the cutter.
- Lower the tool handle. Press the cutter firmly enough to create a deep groove without damaging the tile itself.
- Pull the handle by activating the roller cutter. The movement should be smooth and confident.
- Split the tile in two along the mowing line.
How to cut tiles with an electric tile cutter:
- Mark up the face of the tile.
- Fix it to the working surface of the tool.
- If the design of your device provides for the presence of a reservoir with water, pre-fill it and replace the container.
- Switch on the appliance.
- When working with the tile with an electric tile cutter, do not apply significant force when moving the tile. Press it against the table just to secure it.
- Smoothly move the tile towards the working disc, holding on both sides, if possible.
- When the cutter comes to the edge, slow down a little to avoid a rough chip.
Most people are in no hurry to purchase expensive and very large equipment for home use. An ordinary glass cutter comes to the rescue.
Hand tools can easily handle tiles
How to cut the tiles:
- Soak the material in water for a short time to soften its structure, this will facilitate the process, less effort will be required.
- Mark with a pencil the place of the break.
- Take the tool in your hand, with the other press the tile to the work surface and hold the ruler. Run a clear, straight line in one go. Press hard enough to create a deep, chip-free furrow. Work on the face of the tile.
- Tap the tile with the tool handle along the groove on both sides.
- Slide the element to the edge of the table and push in with your hand, it will split in two along the cut line. Or knock on the edge, the piece will fall off on its own. So the likelihood of tooth formation is less.
It is difficult to cut a tile figured, for example, in a semicircle. For this purpose, it is recommended to use more maneuverable tools. Of course, you can try to do the job with an angle grinder or glass cutter, but it is better not to risk the integrity of the material and use a jigsaw.
Shape sawing tool
How to properly cut tiles at home using a jigsaw:
- Draw the line with a pencil. If the tile is too dense, it is recommended to first soak it in water and then wipe it dry.
- Install a diamond file on the jigsaw.
- Start smoothly to lock in the furrow.
- Guide the tool along the markings, but do not press hard. Until you cut through the tile, do not move it forward, otherwise you risk breaking the cutting part.
- Smoothly bring the jigsaw to the edge, at this moment it can go to the side, so hold it in the correct position.
One of the non-standard, but quite effective ways to cut tiles is to use a simple nail. It should be sharp at the end and large enough to comfortably grip and apply the necessary pressure to the material. The principle of the glass cutter is used. Make a furrow on the tile according to the markings and then break it in two. The chip turns out to be even and quite neat if done correctly and clearly.
Remember that an expensive tool is not always a guarantee of quality. For the most part, it all depends on the master himself, therefore, before working with the finishing material, it is recommended to practice on unnecessary fragments.
How and how to cut tiles
Tiled coverings. irreplaceable element in the interior. Even if the tile does not prevail, it will still be present in wet areas: in the bathroom, on the kitchen backsplash or in the toilet. Cutting is one of the most critical steps in tile laying. Consider possible ways to cut tiles.
Some complex cuts are best done with hand tools. An ordinary jigsaw copes well with this task. Its principle of operation is similar to that of an electric one, but it will work much longer, but you will not have to worry about the quality of the result.
Saw blades for wood or metal will not work; the tiles should be cut with tungsten carbide strings or diamond saws. Work also requires accuracy and skill.
To soften the material, it is recommended to wet the ceramic with water.
Ceramic cutting angle grinder
angle grinder (angle grinder) is able to cut any tile, the main problem is that the tool is quite difficult to handle and traumatic. In the process of work, a large amount of dust is formed, and small pieces of tiles can break off and fly off. When cutting an angle grinder, the cutting line has a ragged edge and a large number of chips appear on it, so this tool should not cut the veneer, which requires delicate processing. If you have a manual tile cutter, it’s best to use it.
When cutting tiles with an angle grinder, be sure to use personal protective equipment: gloves, respirator, goggles.
Open with a jigsaw
The jigsaw is used for small amounts of work and when it is necessary to create curved cuts. An abrasive file is required to cut the tiles. Here are some recommendations for cutting tiles with a jigsaw.
- The tool should be able to adjust the speed, you should not set the maximum parameter. A neat result can be achieved by operating at low or medium speeds.
- The sole can leave scratches on the face of the tile; when sawing, the tile must be turned upside down. It is also recommended to glue the sole of the tool with masking tape to reduce damage to the tile.
- In a closed room, it is advisable to use a tool with a pipe. The branch pipe allows you to connect a construction vacuum cleaner, which eliminates a large amount of dust.
- When sawing tiles, do not put pressure on the tool or otherwise force the process. Move the jigsaw along the line smoothly and effortlessly.
The jigsaw handles medium thick wall tiles. It is rather difficult to cut floor tiles or porcelain stoneware with this device. If it is necessary to cut thick tiles, then it is better to give preference to another tool.
Glass cutter for tiles
Any glass cutter is suitable for cutting ceramic tiles. The principle of operation does not differ from glass. Marking is applied to the tile, then in one motion you need to draw a straight line. The incision must be made with one press throughout the entire area and the first time, because then it will be very difficult to get into the first furrow.
When the fishing line is drawn, the tiles are broken against the edge of the table or against a cylindrical object (nail, screwdriver tip). For the first variant of breaking, the tiles are hung from the edge of the table and pressed on the hanging part. If you break it against the cylinder, then the object fits under the cutting line, then you need to press on the two edges of the tile.
If a small cut of 2. 3 cm is made, then you can break off part of the tile with pliers.
This cutting method is only suitable for straight cuts; it is almost impossible to make a round hole with a glass cutter. Also, the tool is not well suited for textured surfaces, as it will get stuck all the time.
Before using the glass cutter, you need to take the spoiled tile and practice putting the mowing line on it first.
Electric tile cutter
With the word “tile cutter” in the name, there is not much similarity to the previous tool. In fact, an electric tile cutter is called a water saw. It has more in common with a circular saw than with a manual tile cutter. The device is equipped with a diamond disc that is able to cut almost any tile: thick floor porcelain stoneware, textured tiles, facing materials for facades, etc.
The main advantage of this tool is that it can provide fast cutting of any number of tiles with any cutting complexity. Also, when working with such a tool, the amount of dust does not appear as when working with other electrical appliances.
One of the main problems when cutting stone and ceramic products is the heating of the cutting disc. For example, when working with an angle grinder, the disc may overheat and fly apart, which could injure the operator. The water cooling system on the disc on electric tile cutters reduces heat.
Electric tile cutters are divided into several types depending on the location of the engine.
- Top-engine units are professional, they consist of the tile cutter itself and the table top. The device has a sump, from which the liquid rises with a pump, then it returns to the container, so that the circulation of the coolant is ensured. Two types of these devices are common: with a movable table or with a movable saw. With a movable table, the tile is fixed to the table top and moves under the cutting element. If the tabletop is motionless, then the disc is lowered onto the tile.
- Under-engine appliances are a small tabletop with a guide along which the tiles move. The disc drive is located under the table, and the cutting element itself is in a special slot. The coolant is under the disc, when it rotates, it plunges into it, cooling.
In this design, the tabletop and the engine itself remain stationary. At the same time, the size of the entire device is small, which makes it possible to use it in small rooms.
Also from the devices for cutting tiles, specialized units stand out.
- Stone cutter is a special device for cutting thick paving stones. The device is equipped with a massive disc, its power is significantly higher than that of the two above-mentioned plitorers. In most cases, stone cutters are connected to a 380 V network.
- The electric manual cutter does not have a table, it consists of a disc and a motor. In principle, it is similar to a hand-held circular saw.
The complexity of the cut depends on the location of the tile relative to other elements. It is desirable that in these places there are no important and expensive tiles (borders, decor). this point is decided by the preliminary layout of the elements. For example, curbs should not rest on communications or sockets. In places where the tile butts with sockets, with batteries or with plumbing equipment, complex cuts are made on the tiles (circular, semicircular cut).
The number of junctions in which tiles need to be cut are best kept to a minimum at the planning stage.
The thickness and strength of the material often depends on the material from which the tiles are made. Some materials have a high density, so not every tool is able to cut them. Some materials require a delicate approach and should only be cut with specialized tools.
- Ceramic tiles are the most common variety; they are covered with a decorative glazed coating on top. Tile is divided into wall and floor tiles, the latter is usually thicker, which makes it more difficult to cut.
- Porcelain stoneware has a high density, which leads to its low water absorption. Because of this, these tiles are often used for floors, wet areas and streets. It will be difficult to cut porcelain stoneware with improvised means. cutting is best done with an electric or manual tile cutter.
- Clinker tiles are a type of high-density cladding, it is used for outdoor work (cladding, paving sites, etc.). Thick clinker requires an angle grinder or water saw (electric tile cutter).