Ignition On Tiller
One of the main components in the design of the tiller is the ignition system. She is responsible for the formation of the spark required for instant ignition of the fuel mixture. The ignition system of a modern tiller has a fairly simple design that allows you to set up or repair the assembly with your own hands. However, for this you need to follow the correct procedure, otherwise there will be a high risk of breakdown of system parts.
How to set the ignition on the tiller. Execution algorithm
From time to time, the tiller needs to adjust the ignition system. Untimely adjustment of this unit will lead to accelerated wear of other, no less important mechanisms of the agricultural machine. In order to be able to independently adjust the ignition system on a diesel tiller and its gasoline counterpart, you need to study the design diagrams of this unit.
A properly configured tiller ignition system is capable of creating a spark in the right place and at the right time for this. In this case, the magneto cap is responsible for the distribution of the formed spark, and its lower part is responsible for the interruption of the spark. In order for the ignition system to work precisely on this principle, it should be adjusted.
The ignition is installed in the following order:
- First you need to check the operation of the flywheel in the engine until the contacts located inside the magneto open;
- After this, it is necessary to measure the distance between the “anvil” and the “hammer” built into the ignition system;
- Next, you need to turn the flywheel until the piston is compressed;
- As soon as the flywheel reaches the highest point, it must again be turned. As a result of this, a one-time knock will be heard, indicating the operation of the overrunning clutch in the design;
- After that, the flywheel will need to be turned counterclockwise so that the second mark on it coincides with the mark located on the body;
- The next step will be to adjust the distance between the breaker contact and the adjacent cam. The minimum for proper operation of the ignition system will be a gap between the parts of 0.25 mm, and the maximum. 0.35 mm;
- In the end, it remains to fix the built-in cam with a special screw, which is located on top. A will tell about how to properly configure the ignition system on the tiller.
The performed ignition adjustment will accelerate the start of the tiller engine and make it smoother, which will lead to a slowdown in the wear of the piston group and other important elements of the motor of the agricultural machine.
No spark on the tiller. Reasons and solution
Lack of spark
This is one of the typical malfunctions of the tiller ignition system. The most common reasons for this are carbon deposits on the spark plug or its breakdown. In this case, you should unscrew the candle and carefully examine its lateral and central electrodes. If the spark plug is covered with soot formed as a result of pouring the fuel mixture into the part, then cleaning the plug alone will not be enough. You will need to check the tubes of the tiller fuel system for leaks. Examples of cases of highly contaminated fuel candles are clearly visible in the photo.
If the spark disappeared, then in any case, you will need to carefully clean the candle. To do this, it is best to heat it over a gas burner, and then scrape dried fuel off the surface. After cleaning the part, a tip should be put on its upper part and brought to the tiller motor housing. The candle must be held so that its electrode is approximately 1 millimeter from the engine housing. In this case, try to start the tiller motor with the second hand.
If the spark plug is fully operational, a spark will form in its lower part, which will jump out and strike the motor housing. If this does not happen, then you need to examine the distance between the side and center electrodes. A blade should be placed between them, and if it fits tightly between the two electrodes, then the gap has optimal dimensions. If the blade dangles, then you will need to tap with any hard object on the back of the central electrode. As a result of this, it will shift, after which you must again try to start the tiller engine.
Self check magneto for tiller
Another important element of the tiller ignition system is magneto. In case of a node malfunction, it also lends itself to a careful examination of operability. Checking the magneto tiller is quite simple. To do this, it is necessary to clean the candle from deposits accumulated on its surface and make sure that it is working. Then, a cap with a working drive is put on the candle. Next, the lower part of the candle must be brought to the magneto body, and begin to rotate the flywheel located in the motor with your fingers.
If the spark in the magneto on the tiller did not appear, then the element is out of order. In this case, it will be necessary to replace the magneto of the tiller ignition system in order to prevent wear of other mechanisms of the unit.
How to check the ignition coil on a tiller?
Check and, if necessary, repair the ignition coil, follows the same principle as the magneto tiller.
The following factors indicate that the tiller’s ignition coil is out of order.
- Weak spark or its complete absence;
- The smell of molten plastic in the area where the ignition coil is installed;
- Cracking sound when trying to start a tiller.
In any of these cases, you will need to carefully inspect the ignition coil of the tiller. For this, it is best to completely dismantle it. To this end, first unscrew the mounting bolts and remove the top cover of the ignition system housing. Then you need to disconnect the high-voltage wire and, gently prying the coil, remove it from the housing. After that, you need to carefully inspect the part for signs of melting. If black spots are visible on the coil, then most likely the current generated by it did not get to the candle, as a result of which the ignition coil succumbed to voltage. Especially often this problem is encountered by farmers whose tillers have contactless ignition.
The reason that the current did not get on the candle is due to poor contacts on the high-voltage wire. In this case, the repair of the ignition of the tiller is reduced to stripping the wires or replacing them completely. In tillers, where an electronic ignition system is installed, in the event of a breakdown, the wire is automatically disconnected due to the presence of a special fuse. In agricultural machines with other types of ignition systems, the wire must be disconnected in case of breakage manually.
Prevention of breakdowns of the tiller ignition system
- To exclude the use of the tiller in wet weather, during the onset of frost, as well as under conditions of sudden changes in temperature and humidity;
- Do not try to start the unit if there is a smell of molten plastic;
- If necessary, install plates on the tiller that protect the parts of the ignition system from moisture on them;
- Change the candle at least once every 3 months. In the case of intensive use of the tiller, the frequency of replacement of the part can be increased;
- Use high-quality motor oil. The use of an improper composition will lead to a constant pouring of a candle with a fuel mixture;
- Regularly inspect the details of the ignition system to exclude the slightest possibility of operating the tiller with dangling wires or other breakdowns;
- Try not to succumb to a hot engine tiller with heavy loads. This will lead to accelerated wear of important components of the unit, including its ignition system.
Adhering to these simple rules, the owner of the tiller will increase the working life of the ignition system and other important parts and mechanisms of its unit.
All of the above problems with the ignition system are typical for tillers manufactured by Ural, Krot, Zubr, Agro, Neva, Honda, Salyut, MTZ and Cascade. Adjustment and repair of the unit is performed in the same order for each of the listed agricultural units.