Lawn Mower How To Change The Line On The Disk
When spring comes, people often spend their free time in their summer cottage. With the onset of warm days, they try to rid their area of problems such as weeds and grass. It is difficult to do it manually, especially if the area is very large, so a lawn mower will help. Thanks to this technique, you can trim the grass and remove weeds. This is a suitable device for mowing unnecessary plants near the fence, at home, between the rows in the garden on a flower bed and so on. Read about how to choose a lawn mower that is right for your needs. The cutting element in this device is a fishing line (strong polyethylene thread), which is wound on a special element. A reel. But over time, the fishing line wears out and there is a need for its replacement. The article will discuss how to refill fishing line in a lawn mower.
What kind of fishing line to choose to refuel the lawn mower
The thickness of the polyethylene yarn depends on the model of technology and varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. She may be:
- With a round cross section. This is the most durable material for mowing herbaceous plants;
- With curly section. Used for mowing soft plants;
- Twisted. Used for thin grass;
- Professional type, not suitable for all models of equipment.
To change the line on the lawnmower, you need to purchase a cutting thread, which will be ideal for a particular type of mower.
The device of the line in the mower
The arrangement of the element on which the kapron thread is wound is very simple. This element is called a coil. It has two “tracks”. The upper and lower. Between these paths there is a special partition with a recess. A fishing line is wound around these tracks. It must first be pulled through the recess.
Features of replacing fishing line on.
Replacement Instructions. How to Insert a Fishing Line
It should be noted that the coils in the mowers can be different:
- For functioning with one antennae;
- For functioning with two antennae;
- Fishing line should be threaded through the through hole, which is located inside the element.
And do not confuse this part with an extension for a lawn mower on a reel, because despite the similar name they are two completely different elements.
This article will tell you about how much the ZIL 130 dump truck weighs and what this transport is capable of.
Read here //machinspec.com/lesozagotovitelnaya/benzopila/stanok-dlya-zatochki.html how to assemble a machine for sharpening chains of chains with your own hands quickly and easily.
In the first version, it is very simple to wind the cutting element:
- On the inside of the coil element there is a locking eye.
- One antennae of the thread is inserted into it.
- It is necessary to refill the kapron thread in the direction opposite to the rotation of the bobbin element.
- It will take only from 2 to 4 meters of fishing line. When the winding process is completed, put the small end of this cutting element out and fix it in the groove, which is necessary to fix the fishing line so that it does not unwind during the operation of the mower.
- If there is no special groove, then the end should be held by hand so that the cutting element does not untwist during further collection of the element.
- At the last stage, it is necessary to thread the outer end of the thread into a special hole located on the outer part of the element. After that, the coil can be inserted into the mower.
When the roller works with two ends of a polyethylene thread, then the following steps must be taken to fill the line into the mower:
- Inside, the reel will show how many recesses there are for winding (two or one). If there is one recess, then both ends of the thread will be laid along this recess. If there are two, then the antennae are laid out separately. Each in its recess.
- It is necessary to rewind from 2 to 4 meters of polyethylene thread and thread its two ends into the hole.
- Wind both threads in the same direction as the drum rotates.
- When all the fishing line is wound, the ends should be fixed in the grooves or held by hand.
- Both ends are threaded into the eye on the outside of the roller housing.
- After that, the drum is assembled and inserted into the mower.
Tips and steps for replacing fishing line on a.
The coil element or roller may have a completely different design than the previous two options. The line can be threaded through the eye, which is through and located inside the reel. In this case, it is not necessary to disassemble the roller drum and manually wind the polyethylene thread.
The polyethylene thread is threaded through the hole and rotated by pressing a special button. This the button is located on the body and is designed to operate the equipment, to be able to produce fishing line as it wears.
For quick and safe replacement of fishing line on the reel of the mower, safety precautions must be observed. Before removing the reel in order to wind the line onto the lawnmower, it is necessary to disconnect the equipment from the power supply (if the mower is powered by electricity). Here I want to mention the reliability rating of electric lawn mowers, which will help you choose a safe assistant.
Another important safety rule that must be observed is pressing the lock button. You can find out its location on the equipment body using the instruction manual. For example, the manual for a gasoline mower can be found here.
Do not forget that the cutting element must be adjusted. There is a tuning button on the unit body. If the process does not start automatically and the thread tension loosens, then the button is clamped and the line is pulled out of the reel with force.
Watch the instruction.
If there is a summer cottage or a large plot of land near your individual house or cottage, then for the convenience of cleaning grass and weeds, you must use a lawn mower. If you are thinking of choosing an electric lawnmower or gasoline, then click here and you will find comparative characteristics of different models.
Over time, the line on the mower wears out and requires replacement. This can be done independently. Choosing this polyethylene thread is necessary depending on the model of the mower. It is also worth watching about the remaining details of the unit, here for example you will find information about the Craftsman lawn mower knives, which also wear out and can lead to irreversible consequences.
The spool device into which the fishing line is inserted is very simple. But it differs depending on whether the spool works with one or two thread antennae. It is important to observe safety precautions when replacing fishing line in the reel.
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only right solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that cannot be handled by a wheeled lawnmower. As a cutting tool, trimmers use metal knives or a special fishing line, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads during operation over time become unusable. Some malfunctions can be eliminated with your own hands, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Trimmer Coil Device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in many designs. Both simple and complex. The picture below shows semi-automatic trimmer head from the Husqvarna lawn mowers (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the configuration of most lawnmowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The mower head is quite simple. It consists of the following details:
- Mowing head base;
- Button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- A bobbin (reel) into which the fishing line is refueled;
- Eyes. Through them the fishing line comes out;
- Trimmer head cover;
- Fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow changing the length of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In the event of a break in the cord, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Basic coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often encounter a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- The fishing line does not automatically extend;
- The cord spontaneously exits the coil.
The fishing line does not automatically extend
If the line does not lengthen with a light touch of the trimmer coil button on the ground, the reasons for this may be as follows.
Option 1. A bite occurred, i.E. Clamping cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user wound the fishing line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to drag out, as a result of which it is possible to twist the fishing line. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. Too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends protruding from the head are of insufficient length (short). In this case, centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the fishing line manually by first pressing the button.
Option 3. Fishing line soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to stop and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during continuous operation of the unit, impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the cord of third-party manufacturers can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” fishing lines.
- But, if you nevertheless acquired a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often gets soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after refueling the cord into a coil, moisten it either silicone grease (from spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between each other turns of fishing line.
- Also, the fishing line can be soldered if during mowing it hits a solid object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). As a result of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. The cord heats up due to friction, and its coils stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the fishing line.
Cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when the trimmer user notices very fast consumption of fishing line. However, he never hit a button on the ground to lengthen the fishing line. The reason that the fishing line spontaneously lengthens, cutting off a special knife on the casing of the device, can serve lack of spring in the mowing head. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to charge the fishing line into a reel, forget to install the hold-down spring in the head, or even lose it when the lid is opened, and in the future, they are not even aware of its existence.
How to remove the reel and replace the fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly novices, are confused, bordering on panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or fishing line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before putting the fishing line into the reel, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that might occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be locked by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the thread on the shaft is left. Therefore, twist the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached on clips. To remove it, you will need to drown these clips into the body, squeezing the edges of the lid. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, disassembling the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the diameter specified in the tool manual. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the fishing line, as this will lead to increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the cord segment, folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- Cut through the coils special grooves (there may be holes). Insert a loop from the fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to refuel the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves located on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before you finally assemble the nozzle, do not forget insert spring and washer (if available). Install the coil in the housing, and thread the ends of the cord through holes or eyes.
- Put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gearbox shaft, also locking it with a screwdriver. Spin the trimmer coil to the left (against the clockwise arrow).
Is it possible to make a coil on a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Before installing the disk on the shaft, do not forget to put the washer on it.
- On the edges of the disk, you can screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides. They will serve to refuel fishing lines in them.
- To fix the fishing line, several screws can be screwed into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing nozzle is mounted on a shaft with a nut. Tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft will not work. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, a mowing nozzle for attaching fishing line to it can be made from a metal sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the next.