No Oil Supplied To Makita Saw Chain
Not enough oil
Lack of lubrication naturally leads to local overheating of rubbing surfaces. The consequences of overheating and dry friction can lead to very sad consequences:
- tire deformation;
- premature wear of the tire guide groove;
- jamming and wear of the driven sprocket;
- jammed or open circuit.
All this not only can disable the saw, but also fraught with injuries.
The oil does not flow to the saw chain. reasons and self-repair
Most often, the saw pump is the culprit for the lack of lubricant supply. During operation, he, like all other elements of the system, lends itself to increased loads. In addition, the pump gradually becomes clogged with debris, which passes through the strainer along with the oil. The accumulation of fine debris interferes with the normal operation of the pump and, over time, leads to serious damage to the tool.
At the same time, it is far from always a problem in which the chain on the saw is not lubricated. connected to the pump itself. The gear wheel, which is responsible for transferring power from the motor to the oil pump, can also fail. It can shift when hitting the saw or simply become unusable due to wear. This is easy to spot when looking at the star. If during self-diagnosis it was proved that the star is out of order, then it must be replaced.
Another reason why oil is not supplied to the saw chain is the depressurization of the system. Pressure must be built up to circulate fluid inside the assembly. If it is not there, then this indicates the formation of holes or cracks that may appear in the walls of the oil hose, as well as in the place where it is connected to the pump or to the saw guide. In any of these cases, you need to carefully check the oil supply system and restore its previous tightness.
Any rubbing surfaces must be lubricated: an axiom beyond question. Numerous questions begin to arise when choosing the type and brand of lubricant. What kind of oil to put in the chain saw is one of the topics that raises similar questions for users.
What kind of oil to fill in the chain saw?
When choosing oil for chainsaws, gardening equipment owners have 2 options: a special proprietary product or ordinary machine lubricant used to maintain the operation of moving parts of the equipment. It should be noted that a special lubricant is better and more efficient, since in its production, brands take into account the peculiarities of the operation of the drive mechanisms of electric saws, as well as the load on them during operation.
To improve its performance, brand-name electric chain saw oil always contains important additives. It is they who make high-quality branded lubricants better and more expensive than machine lubricants.
Most gardening machine operators and saw manufacturers advise the use of formulations for chain lubrication, the packaging of which is marked with the letter “N”.
Their main benefits include:
Best Cordless Chainsaw. Head-2-Head Test
- high degree of biodegradability;
- special additives responsible for protecting rubbing parts from wear and heat;
- increased adhesion.
All these qualities extend the life of the drive and the cutting attachment of the tool, which significantly reduces the frequency of bar and chain replacement.
Makita Saw Chain Oil
The cutting bodies of any household saw are its bar and the chain installed on it. As you press the accelerator lever, the rotation speed of the saw head of the tool gradually increases. When the power unit is operating at the highest speeds, the tire and chain are subject to accelerated rotation and significant wear. To avoid this and prolong the life of the saw headset, you need to fill it with oil designed to lubricate the saw bodies.
The saw chain is not getting oil. how to solve the problem?
This breakdown belongs to the most common malfunctions of both branded saws and their Chinese counterparts.
There can be several reasons and solutions to the problem:
- defect in the thread of the standard oil pump shaft. in this case, the shaft will need to be replaced;
- breakage of the corkscrew provided on the main shaft of the pump. this problem is most often encountered by owners of Homelite saws. Replacing the corkscrew with a thin nail, which must first be cut to the desired length, will help to eliminate the breakage;
- damage to the thread of the pump drive gear. replacing the gear will help to eliminate the damage;
- accumulation of debris in the oil pipe or its breakage. in the first case, the hose can be flushed or blown out with compressed air from a cylinder. In the second, the tube will need to be replaced;
- accumulation of debris in the filter of the saw lubrication system. to eliminate the malfunction, you need to disassemble the entire unit, thoroughly rinse the filter and other parts of the lubrication system.
It is important to remember that most branded saws are equipped with collapsible oil pumps. If they become clogged, the pumps can be disassembled, washed and reassembled. Non-separable pumps are provided in the designs of some Chinese-made saws. If they become clogged, the only way to repair your garden tool is to replace the pump.
As is the case with gasoline saws, electric powered garden chain tools need to be lubricated. Oil in this type of equipment is necessary only to ensure the operation of the cutting attachment. Without the right amount of high-quality lubricant, the tire and chain will start to wedge and fail quite quickly. To prevent this, the owner of the tool must constantly monitor the level of the liquid, as well as rinse the parts responsible for the drive of the headset in time.
Saw chain lubrication system. design and operation
Most of the time, factory-installed power saw fittings include:
- reservoir for periodic introduction of liquid;
- a mesh filter that cleans the liquid from foreign solid fractions;
- a short hose made of technical rubber through which the composition flows from the tank to the moving parts of the tool;
- oil pump. under its action, the liquid is pumped from the reservoir to the rubbing elements of the tool drive;
- gear. through it, the force from the electric motor is transmitted to the saw oil pump.
The pump plays a key role in this unit. As soon as the engine speed rises, the built-in gear receives enough force to drive the oil pump. When operating, the pump increases the pressure inside the lubrication system. As a result, the air pushes the liquid out of the tank towards the tire. Getting into the place of contact between the saw housing and the guide, the liquid flows into the groove, which is needed to lubricate the bar. The end link of the lubrication system is the chain, in the links of which grooves or holes are also provided. Through them, the chain oil for the saw is distributed along the entire length of the cutter.
TOP 5 Saw Chain Oils
The market today is overflowing with lubricants that their manufacturers claim are capable of ensuring trouble-free operation of the cutting attachment and its drive mechanism. But not every composition shows a truly high efficiency and effectiveness. We are talking about inexpensive fluids with a minimum of m of necessary additives, as well as non-original oils that are marketed under the name of well-known brands, that is, fakes.
In order not to be mistaken when choosing an oil, it is best to give preference to the following chain compounds:
- 1. Forest Plus from Stihl. The main advantages of this formulation include good adhesion as well as high workability up to 15⁰C. Observing the recommendations specified by the German manufacturer, the service life of the composition will reach 3 years;
- 2. Bio Plus from Stihl. Natural plant base is used for the production of these lubricants. This allows the oil to decompose in the soil without damaging the soil. German manufacturer’s grease can be used at temperatures up to 15⁰C;
- 3. Synth Plus from Stihl. This oil successfully withstands increased loads and work at temperatures down to. 25⁰C. For the production of the composition, a balanced synthetic base is used;
- 4. Husqvarna Vegoil. The use of this material from a well-known Swedish manufacturer allows you to save up to 40% oil without compromising the protection of the drive and the cutting parts of the saw. The oil prevents the formation of resinous deposits and rust on the surface of the tool parts;
- 5. Champion BAR CHAIN OIL. Inexpensive chain oil designed for intensive use in summer and winter. The liquid is released with high adhesion and decent anti-corrosion properties.
Regular use of any of these oils will ensure trouble-free operation of the saw chain and bar, regardless of the stress on the cutting attachment.
Chainsaw manufacturer recommendations
What types of lubricants do manufacturers recommend? Branded chain tools of the brands Stihl, Ryobi, Makita, Husqvarna are recommended by their manufacturers to be lubricated with special chain oils. The same position is adhered to by the specialists of Oregon, the main manufacturer of fittings and accessories for chain saws. It is clear that under special chain oils we mean lubricants of the Stihl, Ryobi brands, then everywhere.
Intuitively and with common sense, it is natural to assume that the best grade N saw oil is an N grade lubricant. Indeed, it is. Except for one, much significant moment, the name of which is price. All lubricants recommended by manufacturers have undoubted advantages:
- high adhesion capacity;
- the presence in the composition of additives that counteract wear and tear.
The main competitor of all the listed advantages is only one of the above. Brand saw oil costs between 300-700 rubles per liter. And that’s not all that matters. Biodegradable oils tend to polymerize naturally. This means that the lubricant must be drained from the reservoir at the end of work with the tool. The oil line system should be flushed out of grease residues. Otherwise, there is a risk of clogging the feed system with polymerization products.
Guide bar for saw blade 35, 40 cm.Characteristics and features
The saw bar is also called “guide”, because it is she who directs the movement of the chain, which moves along it in the right direction. In addition, it protects the latter from abrasion and wear. There are three main points on how to correctly choose a tire for a chain saw:
- Chain pitch and groove width. When choosing a bus, parameters and potential circuit are important. They must match on the rail and on the tackle. This is easy to do if you correctly take into account the technical capabilities, compatibility, which is located in the information for each assortment model.
- Bus length. One of the popular parameters today are guides of 40 cm and 35. We will definitely talk about them, because different lengths of the guide are assumed for different household and professional needs.
- Shank type. This is the part of the guide that fixes it directly to the saw. The elements of the entry must match, because otherwise the part simply will not be fixed.
Consider the most popular tire models with a length of 35 and 40 cm. The first is also designated by the number 14 ”, and the second is 16 ”. It is important to understand that it is simply forbidden to adapt and operate a tire that is not the size of the saw. a saw of any model is designed for a certain type of chain, respectively, and the length of the bar. There is a golden rule, where it is said about the proportional power of the unit and the dimensions of the guide. That is, the more urine your electric model, the longer the tire you will need (spelled out in the technical manual). So, we can draw conclusions:
- The tire 35 cm / 14 ” makes it possible to cut a tree with a diameter of 25-30 cm, or a wider specimen, but already in two passes or from both sides with two units;
- 40 cm / 16 ” guide will cut wood if its thickness is up to 40 cm.
Good bar for saws Sadko, Bosch. tips for choosing
As you know, there are enterprises more or less specializing in the production of power tools or components for it, spare parts. If you are a fan of domestic brands, then it will be quite acceptable for you to work with Taiga, Interskol. If we take into account the experience and the worldwide popularity of tools from Makita, Bosch, Oregon and Goodluck, then the brand itself speaks of the potentially better quality of the same guides. Therefore, you need a file for a chain, a chain or a bar. give preference to trusted companies:
- A world famous brand, even presenting its facilities in China, is a guarantor of quality and compliance with strict standards;
- The demand for European electrical engineering still exceeds the popularity of domestic ones;
- Some European developments and achievements are more than 50 years old, therefore the products are considered to be of higher quality.
We run special promotions for our clients
Subscribe and we will keep you updated
Diagnostic and repair algorithm
When starting to repair a chain saw, it is necessary to carry out sequential diagnostics of all units of the unit to find out the cause of the breakdown. Repair of the unit is carried out based on the signs of malfunctions that were listed above. Below is a diagram of the saw, which shows in detail the internal structure of the unit.
The brushes and the collector are on
Strong sparking under the brushes can be caused by poor contact between the armature lamellas and the electrodes due to wear of the latter. To check this, you need to remove the parts from the brush holders.
It is considered that normal wear of brushes should be no more than 2/3 of their original length.
If the brushes are worn out, they must be replaced. Also, the brushes can spark due to the clogging of the gap between the armature lamellas with graphite dust. Since graphite is a conductor, it causes short circuits and sparks.
To remove dirt, it is necessary to clean the lamellas well with alcohol, cotton wool and a toothbrush. It is also recommended to polish them with the finest sandpaper (zero).
the saw does not turn on
If, when the start button is pressed, the unit does not turn on, then the diagnostics are carried out in the following order.
- Check the voltage at the outlet. It may not be due to a general disconnection or a malfunction of the outlet. Try switching the unit to a different location.
- If there is voltage in the outlet, then it is worth checking the network cable. Remove the motor housing cover and ring each wire with a tester, touching one probe to the contact inside the unit, and the other to one of the rods of the electrical plug.
- If the wire is okay, then keep checking further. Use the tester to ring the wires leading to the start button for a break.
- Next, you should ring the button contacts at the input and at its output with the key pressed.
- After that, check the wires going to the engine of the unit. If there is a soft starter in their way, then check the circuit in and out of it.
If the previous steps did not reveal the cause of the engine failure, then remove the brushes and check them. There are times when the engine does not start due to complete wear of one or both brushes, as well as due to breakage of the conductors in them. If the brushes are in good working order, then most likely the motor has failed, namely, the stator or rotor windings have burned out. In this case, in order to ring the coils, you need to have some skills and knowledge in this area. It is better to take the saw motor to a specialist who will find the fault and rewind the coils.
Makita Saw Oil Pump Repair
The chain saw is an indispensable tool for owners of private houses and summer cottages. It can cut branches in the garden, cut trees, cut planks and other wood-based materials. But no matter how expensive and reliable this unit is, the moment will come when minor or major malfunctions appear in it. Of course, serious damage should only be repaired at a service center. But minor chain saw repairs can most often be done with your own hands.
The engine gets very hot
Overheating of the engine may be caused by a jammed gear wheel if it is heavily soiled with small sawdust or foreign objects such as springs or plastic pieces have fallen on it. Try to turn the gearbox shaft by hand with the brake disengaged. If rotation is difficult, then you will need to disassemble the gearbox and eliminate the malfunction.
A break in the motor windings can also cause the motor to overheat. In this case, it will not work to repair the motor with your own hands. You will need to seek help from a specialist.
Also, the engine may overheat if no oil is supplied to the saw chain. This leads to poor sliding of the rig on the tire, and as a result, to an increased load on the electric motor. How to diagnose and fix this malfunction was described above.
Dismantling the saw to fix breakages
To start troubleshooting yourself, it is recommended that you first learn how to disassemble the saw. Complete disassembly of the unit using the example of a Makita saw is as follows.
- Unfold the flag of the screw that secures the tire, and slightly loosen the fastening. Next, use the chain tension adjuster to loosen the saw chain.
- Completely loosen the bus bar fixing screw and remove the cover.
- Remove the chain from the sprocket and disconnect the bar from the machine (including the chain).
- Now you need to unscrew the 2 screws that secure the engine from the sprocket side.
- You should also unscrew a couple of screws on the other side of the unit. For convenience, you can remove the oil tank cap.
- When all the fasteners have been removed, you can disconnect the gearbox from the engine.
- The next step is to remove the drive sprocket. Since it is secured with a lock washer, it must be removed using a flathead screwdriver.
Under the plastic cover, as well as on the gears, you can see the accumulation of dust, sawdust and grease.
All parts of the gearbox must be cleaned of dirt.
Next, remove the oil pump plunger.
This completes the complete disassembly of the unit. The saw is assembled in reverse order.
No lubrication on the chain and bar
Lack of lubrication on the tire or its complete absence can be caused by a clogged hole or tube through which oil is supplied to the tire. Often the chain is not lubricated if the supply of lubricant from the reservoir is interrupted. This can happen if the filter at the end of the hose is clogged. The latter is always inside the container. To fix the problem, you need to pull the hose out of the oil tank and rinse the filter with gasoline.
A broken oil pump can also prevent oil from flowing to the saw chain. After cleaning the filter, hose and grease hole, turn on the saw and observe if grease is flowing to the tire, provided there is sufficient oil in the reservoir. If the lubricant does not come, it is necessary to remove and disassemble the oil pump, check the serviceability of the spring or its other parts (depending on the model of the unit) and, if necessary, replace it with a new one.
Author: Sergey Yudintsev
Learning how to fix everything yourself
No oil is supplied to the chain. Airing the oil pump. Saw makita 4320. Oil pump. DIY repair
24 thoughts on “No oil is supplied to the Makita saw chain. Simple DIY repair ”
Grandfather is a whisperer. couldn’t it be louder?
good, but not a genuine Makita saw. the fastest Romanian and Chinese counterfeit
Well done man! He explained everything clearly, told! And I was tormented by a bicycle pump from the side of the tank, pumped up pressure!
And if you pump air under the tank lid with a tire pump? I mean a tank completely filled with oil. Then you don‘t have to disassemble anything. I installed a nipple from the car chamber in the cork of the tank, took the pump and oil for refilling and went to cut the wood.
what the fuck is he whispering under his breath
Bezel-less masters pancake to butter add zliter 200gram gasoline
It is enough to blow into the filler hole, creating pressure in the oil tank while the saw is running. Do not run out of oil and cut horizontally.
The same trouble with the saw, I’ll go check the technique, only a small syringe I have
I pumped it. it all worked! Makita UC4030A
Sergey! Thank you so much! I wanted to carry it for repairs. And here it’s business! Thanks again!
What was that drinking? Wanking is not a saw
These saws do not supply oil correctly from the factory. The capacity of the oil pump is too low. And by placing the saw on your side, you drive air from the side of the tank
Thank. The same problem. I’m running, I will use your experience. Like and subscription. Come to my channel.
And how often do you have to do it?
Thanks a lot, your advice helped. Before that, I disassembled and checked the condition of the pump and the filter in the tank, and found nothing. The only advice is to suck the air during operation, without a bar and a chain. since the pump piston closes the hole.
What kind of oil do you pour
Your advice and experience on restoration did not help me for long. after two weeks the oil stopped flowing again and until I changed the oil pump there was no sense.
Thank you very much for your advice. Today I repaired my Makita without wasting time and complete disassembly. The only thing that had to be done was to ensure the tightness between the syringe and the oil supply hole by winding electrical tape on the syringe.
tell me what kind of oil you pour?
I highly recommend quitting smoking.
sometimes you just need to blow into the filler hole and you don’t need to do such long procedures.
respect, but with my own hands on a saw under voltage, I would not touch the chain.