Nut jammed on angle grinder
What are the ways to unscrew a tightened nut on an angle grinder?
It is difficult to encounter this problem when rotating at idle speed. Particularly when working with light discs and soft-start tools. However, after an increase in rpm and contact with the surface to be cut, the following happens:
- When material resistance is encountered, the wheel’s angular velocity is drastically reduced, it slows down.
- The motor continues to run for a few moments at the same RPM by inertia, dragging the gearbox and spindle.
- The retention nut is tightened by inertia on the threads of the spindle head, thereby pressing the cutting disc in.
That’s it, the process of tightening the fixing flange is complete. the abnormal situation is in your face. The following factors influence its occurrence:
- Wheel is too big.
- High tool capacity.
- Massiveness of the rotor.
- A sharp increase in cutting depth, t.е. increase in resistance.
In this case, removing the disk from the angle grinder can be very difficult. Additional measures must be taken.
To install a new disk, after cleaning the casing, you need to perform these actions:
After all the actions you have done, you can quietly continue to do work.
One of the most frequently asked questions about mounting/dismounting angle grinder tooling is: Which side to put the disc on the angle grinder?
Usually, such a question is asked by inexperienced masters. You could be installing the wheel the wrong way round. Yes. V-1, in the case where the drive is not thin, and, for example, petal, and you can not get it wrong, if the petals are not placed correctly should simply twist the hood and handle on an angle grinder. In other words, the question disappears by itself.
In case the disk is still thin, you should be guided by its label, the so-called shirt.
If the angle grinder turns on itself, the disc should be installed facing outward, but if the disc rotates away from you, then, accordingly, and install it should be facing inward.
If you do not adhere to this method, there is a good chance that the drive will fail very quickly or deformed at once.
Removing a cutting disk in a non-standard way
Discs on the angle grinder fixed nut, which is screwed in the same direction in which the rotation of the spindle power tool. And when the rotation is stopped abruptly, there is a self-tightening of the nut fixation.
In order to unscrew it you need the force considerably exceeding wedge force, and it is impossible to use a “native” or a gas wrench.
There is not enough force to unscrew the nut, and the wrench will slip
It is necessary to do otherwise, namely to remove the cutting disk from under the nut, and then nothing will interfere with the unscrewing of the nut.
Unscrewing and removing unnecessary remains of the consumable
Obstacle removed, now you can unscrew the nut and remove what is left of the cutting wheel. The nut is easy to unscrew, in most cases it can be done by hand, without tools.
How to unscrew the nut on the angle grinder if it is jammed
I tried to stop it with a button, use a standard wrench and apply pressure, hit it with a hammer, but it did no good.
I took it home, blocked the button, tried to use a gas wrench. it doesn’t work, and that’s all, I only scratched the nut. In doing so, I remembered how often I heard about cases when the nut on the angle grinder is unscrewed with great difficulty.
How to unscrew a nut on an angle grinder (angle grinder) if it is jammed
The first thing to do is to break down what is left of the broken saw blade.
This is done very simply, you only need to take pliers. When doing this use protective equipment. glasses and gloves, because metal splinters will fly.
The result should be the following:
Next, we find a piece of metal, which thickness is less than the disk of the angle grinder.
Then it is necessary to switch on the angle grinder and use this piece to grind the rest of the disk between the nuts.
After everything is ground off, the nut inside is unscrewed not even with a wrench but with your hands.
This is how to do it, very simple and fast. What is safe for the bearings of the angle grinder. Because if the nut is not unscrewed, many people immediately armed with a hammer and try to unscrew the nut, tapping on it.
What to do to prevent this from happening again
If you do not want to get into this position, you can put a washer. made of plastic, paper or cardboard. under the nut before clamping the new disc. In this case, the nut will unscrew without effort.
Today you can not often find a cutting stone or disc in good quality, so when they break, it often becomes a problem.
Naturally, it can also be caused by improper use. But now you already know how to unscrew the nut on the angle grinder.
If there are still questions or you don’t understand anything, you can take a look at
How to avoid jamming of the nut with the disk on the angle grinder
And a couple of words about preventing such unpleasant precedents again. You can use small spacers from cardboard, put them between the disk and the nut. As a last resort, a disk with a smaller diameter may be used, if the nut is of course screwed on top. In the end, unscrewing such a nut should be no problem. It’s not going to jam, it’s going to bite on the threads.
And then there’s a little video of a problem that I’ve learned from my own experience.
How to remove the grinding wheel from the angle grinder: expert tips
To understand how to remove a grinding wheel quickly and without damage, check out the tips from the experts. Take note of the following important knowledge that will help you cope with the task at hand:
- put a rag or cloth in the hole of the grinding wheel so that it will not twist when you loosen the nut on the angle grinder;
- do not overtighten the nut and control the force you apply. The spinning wheel should hold the nut well and firmly;
- use oil to lubricate the shaft to make it easier to replace the wheel;
- if the nut is too tight, use a hammer with which you can apply some force and unscrew the nut;
- Check the condition of the grinding wheel. Experts advise simply tapping it with a metal tool. If you can trace a deafening sound, it indicates a breakdown. The ringing sound is an indicator of a functioning disk;
- After replacing the grinding discs, be sure to check the operation of the angle grinder from the side of the tool. Eliminate possible injuries;
- Carefully read the operating instructions. It contains a lot of useful information to help you use your table grinder properly, including changing the wheel;
- the way of unscrewing the nut also depends largely on the type of angle grinder, the peculiarities of its design.
How to remove it?
Discs, especially those designed for cutting, burn out quickly and must be replaced.
It is worth recalling once again the need to disconnect the “angle grinder” from the mains. It is necessary to work with rapidly rotating parts and it is better to protect yourself.
If you need to replace a worn disc, you must perform a number of simple operations.
- The disk is fastened to the spindle rod with a threaded nut. In the kit of any angular grinding machine there is a special key, which horns have pins that cling to the holes in the flange.
- The spindle is secured with a special button, the cotter pin of which, when pressed, enters the hole in the gearbox, thus securing it. Pressing the button with your right hand, at the same time with your left hand you need to unscrew the fastening nut with a wrench. If the nut has moved, it is unscrewed by hand. That’s it, now the disk can be removed.
- There are times when, for whatever reason, there is no wrench handy. What to do? The easiest way out. to stop work. But this, as they say, is not our method. Unscrew the clamping nut of the “angle grinder” without a wrench is also possible. Often a pipe (gas) wrench is used for this. On such a key, there is a device that dilutes it. You need to clamp the nut and, having fixed the gearbox of the “angle grinder” with the button, move it out of place. Then it can be unscrewed by hand.
- In the nut there are holes for its fixation by pins on the wrench horns, you can unscrew it by tapping with a hammer on the chisel or rod propped in the hole.
- Sometimes it is possible to undo a nut by simply tapping its edge with a hammer in the direction of torsion. However, this may damage the flange, especially the holes for the wrench pins, it may be impossible to use a wrench on such a nut in the future.
- A very good result is obtained by using a nail to make a spanner. It is better to choose a large nail, from 100mm. Use a hammer and pliers to give the nail a U-shape. Use a hacksaw or chisel to cut off the nail point and nail head. You could try to undo the nut with such an improvised spanner. You can bend the ends of such a spanner and make it look like an open-end wrench, but this would be very labor-intensive. It is also possible to insert a gate, such as a hammer or other nail, into the arc formed by a bent nail.
Types of discs for angle grinders
angle grinder is widely used in construction and repair technological operations. Discs for angle grinder are different from each other:
The choice of discs for the angle grinder implies knowledge and consideration of not only the machined workpieces, but also the capabilities of the tool itself.
The most used wheels for angle grinders, also called abrasives. They are classified in different ways. There are discs for working with metal, stone, wood. There is also a diamond disc, which serves to work with the most durable and hard materials (reinforced concrete, ceramic granite, tile, marble, granite and other natural and artificial stones).
Let’s give a brief description of each type.
The common feature for all cutting discs is classification by outside diameter and thickness. Outer diameter is:
- 115 mm for small domestic grinders;
- 125 and 150 mm for medium power and weight angle grinder;
- 180 and 230 mm for powerful professional tools.
Thickness of discs varies from 1 to 3,2 mm. It depends on the size of the nozzle: discs with large diameter have greater thickness; discs of medium and small diameter have any thickness. The choice of disc thickness is influenced by the disc thickness:
Cutting (abrasive) discs for metal
These discs are used to work with sheet body steel (disc thickness from 1 to 1.6 mm) and long steel products: rebar, round bars, channels, angles and other types (disc thickness from 2.5 to 3.6 mm). There are special bits for working with stainless steel, aluminum, cast iron and other metals.
This is indicated by a printed marking and a coloured stripe on the disc surface. The abrasive discs consist of several layers of fiberglass mesh, onto which bakelite abrasive material (silicon carbide, corundum, electrocorundum) is pressed on both sides under high pressure. Reinforced abrasive discs are then placed in a furnace for heat treatment to gain strength. Set temperature of heating. 200 degrees. There the mass is sintered and becomes strong and resistant to shattering.
Abrasive stone discs
They are absolutely identical to metal disks, differing only in the abrasives used.
They are made of high-strength steel and are equipped with sharp teeth on the outside diameter. These tools work on the principle of the circular saw and are quite dangerous in operation. It is recommended to fix the angle grinder permanently with a special attachment.
They are used for cutting high-strength materials made of natural and artificial stone.
There are different kinds of diamond discs for concrete, reinforced concrete, stone. They differ from each other by the fractionality of the diamond coating and the type of cutting edge. solid, with large or small cuts, notches. It is important to know that the diamond disc is not used for working on metal workpieces. It is not easy to understand the function of a diamond disc by its appearance. The best option is to consult a sales consultant before buying or study the package appendix carefully.
Some manufacturers of diamond discs have the face painted, depending on the material for which they are designed:
- green. for granite;
- Yellow. for plaster and tile;
- Blue. for marble and concrete;
- gray for granite ceramic and tile;
- orange. for brick.
Diamond disc with segmented cutting blade is used for dry cutting of stones. Solid cutting edge discs require water cooling. Turbodiscs with slots in the wheel body operate at higher rotational speeds than discs with segmented blades.
Grinding and Roughing
Grinding discs are divided into four types:
Petal (abrasive) nozzles remove old paint, primer or varnish, grind wooden products.
- Special wire wheels eliminate rust and remove persistent dirt.
- With diamond modifications in the shape of a bowl, stone workpieces are polished.
- Discs made of plastic or rubber are used to polish metal surfaces. Replaceable discs with sandpaper, felt, sponge, cloth can be attached to the plates.
Most grinding discs work with special pastes or fluids that include the finest abrasives. Surfaces of all materials are ground with these tools, including auto bodywork at car repair shops.
Why the problem arises?
It is difficult to encounter such a problem when rotating at idle speed. Especially when working with light circles and soft start tools. However, after increasing the rotational speed and contact with the surface to be cut, the following happens:
- When material resistance is encountered, the wheel has a drastic reduction in angular velocity and brakes.
- The motor continues to run for a few moments at the same speed due to inertia, dragging the gearbox and spindle.
- The retainer nut by inertia tightens harder on the threads of the spindle head, thereby pressing the cutting disk.
That’s it, the process of tightening the fixing flange is complete. the abnormal situation is in your face. The following factors influence its occurrence:
- Large wheel size.
- High power tool.
- Massive rotor.
- A sharp increase in cutting depth, t.е. increased resistance.
In this case, it can be very difficult to remove the disk from the angle grinder. Additional measures have to be taken.
How to unscrew a hub nut. the basic 5 ways
To solve the problem of how to unscrew the hub nut, it is necessary to determine how to disassemble. You can do it in one of two basic ways:
When loosening the hub nut, it is important to ensure proper safety. Under high load, the car can shift and injure the craftsman. To avoid this, use the stops
They are installed under the wheels on both sides. Also the parking brake should be on. This keeps the body of the machine in the set position
To avoid this, use the wheel chocks. They are mounted under the wheels on both sides. Also the parking brake must be engaged. This is how to keep the machine body in the set position.
If the nut will not come off, you have to choose one of the following methods
|Description||What tools are needed||When to use|
|Provides for dismantling, later replacement.||Drill with metal drill bits (different diameters), chisel, hammer (small sledgehammer).||To be used if there is no chance of unscrewing in the usual way.|
|Heat the metal at the joint by applying the parking brake.||Burner.||Bearings and hubs to be replaced.|
|Carefully unscrew the stuck part, gradually increasing the force with the lever while tapping on the housing.||Tubular socket wrench, reinforced screwdriver, hammer, extension tube, deep penetrating grease.||If it is necessary to do the job as carefully as possible|
|A high-powered wrench and a long pipe significantly increase the force, thus increasing the chance of breaking the thread.||Heavy duty socket wrench, long tube. Sockets for socket nuts. Hydraulic or electric wrench.||Severely stuck nut.|
|A soaked rag gradually removes the problem.||Kerosene and/or mineral spirits, hammer, rags.||If you have enough time.|
You can unscrew stuck item quickly if you have a lever. It is mounted on the ratchet with a small ratchet wrench. A piece of pipe with a suitable diameter and a length of at least 1 meter can be used.
Unscrewing a hub nut at VAZ: “Burn, beat and twist!
Now let’s consider ways that may be the only effective in your case, but they are no less radical, even barbaric.
Strong blows with a hammer
You hit the hub, you hit the bearing! If you do the replacement, then go ahead! If you value the bearing, avoid this method.
Heating the hub nut with a torch. Not recommended!
Using a torch
The law of physics is guaranteed to work, and the body (read: the hub nut) will expand. And it will greatly facilitate the removal of the stubborn part. There is a “but”: It is not only this one part that gets hot, but everything else in the burner area as well. The bearing, for example. And this is best avoided. As a more gentle option, we can suggest using a soldering iron and patience. You’re going to need it.
Jumping on the lever
The “method” carries the risk of sudden breakage of the nut edges, breaking of the wrench, etc. Just don’t do it that way.
You take a chisel, make notches on the edges
Of course, the larger diameter makes the hub nut unusable, but it is easier to undo.
How to unscrew the nut if it’s tight?
To begin with, let’s answer a frequent question: “In what direction is the nut unscrewed on the angle grinder?”
Remember! Unscrew in the direction of rotation of the disc. Т.е. If the disk rotates clockwise, then the nut should be unscrewed clockwise.
The easiest way to unscrew the nut is to use a wrench and then hit it with a hammer a few times with medium force.
If this doesn’t work, there are alternative methods of solving the problem:
- Heat the fastening mechanism with a torch, which will cause the metal to expand. As a result, the structure will become movable;
- turn a small metal plate to grind the disk all the way down to the nut. Continue to grind until its surface makes contact with the nut and begins to twist it;
- Insert a steel tube into the holes in the nut, use it as leverage to unscrew the tightened nut. Do not apply too much force so as not to tear the threads;
- lubricate the threads with machine oil, e.g. WD-40. Wait 3-5 minutes and then try to unscrew the fastener with a wrench. With this method you can also get rid of the rust inside the landing shaft;
- if it is necessary to remove a wheel that has not been used for a long time, you can start screwing the fastener even harder. After that, try to loosen it again;
- boiled or corroded threads on the angle grinder can be treated with turpentine, vinegar, White spirit or rust dissolver. After treatment, you need to wait at least 30 minutes, and then try to unscrew the nut again.
If a situation arises where you are left without a key, you can chisel the stuck fastener with a chisel or grind it with a second angle grinder with a disk for working on metal. After that, you will have to rebuild the threads, and look for a spare nut. If the circle still won’t give way, you can try a combination of different methods. For example, treat the shaft with machine oil and then start unscrewing the nozzle with a lever or tap the mechanism with a hammer.
Important! Do not unscrew the fastener with great force. This can lead not only to the breakage of the thread, but also a breakdown of the body of the angle grinder itself.
How to avoid jamming?
To avoid trouble during the change of the angle grinder head, it is recommended to prepare for work in advance. To do this, you can insert a small spacer between the disk and the nut. Cardboard, a piece of linoleum or plastic is suitable as a material.
If the fastener is constantly overtightened, it is advisable to use a wheel with a smaller diameter. It is also important to keep the tool clean, timely treat the threads with oil, WD-40.