Reel for grass trimmer with a chain with his hands
Chain from a chainsaw to the trimmer for grass with his hands
At the heart of almost any home-made gasoline chainsaw is the introduction of its universal drive, which can be used for a large number of different devices. Their scope of use is very broad: cutting stone and metal, pumping water, snow removal, drilling holes and wells, riding, moving various objects, swimming and also flying.
Execute the potential capabilities of a chainsaw using a variety of attachments and accessories. The basis of any modification is the usual principle of taking the power of the motor: the output shaft is connected to the device needed by the handyman. The presence of a massive motor, small size and comparably light weight of the tool, autonomy and the ability to work virtually under extreme conditions make its ability to truly boundless. Of no small importance is the convenient design of the clutch, which protects the nodes and complex accounting programs of the saw from breakage and overload. A tool made from a chainsaw has its own density, so it is used in virtually every position.
Our client remains self-made devices can be conditionally divided into 2.7 groups:
- ordinary devices (angle grinder, ice drill, pump, winch, single-axle tractor, boat motor, bike, moped);
- more complex mechanisms and objects (sawmill, snowplow, snowmobile, aerial sled, electric station, helicopter, one-piece knife).
For the production of all available devices different brands of chainsaws are used. When choosing them, you should consider the power needed for the normal operation of the remodel. In most cases, for the production of different devices use such brands of chainsaws: Druzhba, STIHL, Ural.
Below are different versions of devices made from chainsaws. Who wants to be able to use such ideas in their own economy. From a chainsaw with a small amount of additional materials perform:
WARNING Not safe! Endless line for grass trimmer. Experience
angle grinder. Main system of such device. bearing unit with shaft. At one end of it, the driven pulley is installed, which rotates by the V-belt. On the other end, the mandrel for the cutting-off wheels is mounted. Depending on their brand of angle grinder to cut stone, metal, bricks and other building materials.
Ice breaker. For smooth operation of the device is not desirable speed auger large, so you need to use a reducer, made in the form of a worm or V-belt transmission. Such a device can be used for construction of the foundation of helical piles and also for other ground works.
Water pump is used for watering vegetable gardens, emergency water supply, draining ponds or otherwise flooded basements. Such a nozzle is an ordinary centrifugal pump, equipped with a bracket for mounting on the saw and a pulley, which drives the turbines of the pump.
Winch, which uses a chainsaw drive. The pulling force of this device is directly related to the power of the saw motor. With the use of an additional unit, it is of course significantly increased. This device is equipped with such additional parts like tap block, hooks, belts, anchors.
Outboard motor from a chainsaw. a good candidate for the purchase of an expensive motor. To ensure the movement of 20 km / h enough to install on a boat homemade boat motor with gearbox (gear ratio of 2.4:1) and a 3-bladed propeller, cross section 210 mm. At the same time the fuel consumption will be equal to only 1l per hour of engine operation.
How effective is the replacement
The welding and fixing work itself takes 20 minutes and is not very complicated. Even a person without experience, but with the right materials and tools with the help of the instructions below can cope with the job.
Using a grass trimmer with a chain from a chainsaw can increase the effectiveness of the tool in cases of young growth, as described above, and can also reduce the cash cost of maintaining the grass trimmer.
The key to changing the line is safety. This issue should be approached with extreme caution.
The gasoline trimmer has a clutch that allows the engine to accelerate smoothly. But in electric types, there is a high load quickly due to the torque of the electric motor. This risks twisting the flexible shaft of the weed whacker or breaking the motor. In the worst case scenario, for example, if you put a chain on a weak grass trimmer, it can break off and cut a person in the process of working with the tool.
Choosing the shape of the line section: round, square or star-shaped
Manufacturers of lines for grass trimmer produce a product with different parameters:
By cross-sectional shape, the most popular and cheapest is round. It does its job well, cutting good quality fresh grass. But at the same time, it is the noisiest, because it oscillates almost in time with the engine. other forms of line are also available: square, rectangular or star-shaped. Their level of performance is higher, but there are also disadvantages:
A circular fiber with serrations and notches is somewhat of a compromise. The line for the trimmer will perfectly cope not only with fresh grass, but also with tough vegetation. Noise level when working with it is low. Drawback of this line: high consumption and difficulty in extracting it from semi-automatic spools. This is usually corrected by using discs. A line for the trimmer is inserted in small segments.
A coiled line is a quiet alternative to a round line. It is the quietest. Its specialty is mowing dry wood and even small shrubs, so manufacturers have tried to make the fiber durable and tear-resistant. It is only suitable for petrol trimmers.
Tip. Of course, a twisted line can also mow normal grass. However, it is the most expensive, and for everyday work on the site is not cost-effective.
When choosing a quality line for the grass trimmer, you need to pay attention to the technical parameters of the product. For productive operation of the gardening tool, the thickness of the line, its strength and the shape of the cross-section of the string are taken into account.
Classification by diameter
For lawn trimmers, lines with a diameter of 1.2 to 4 mm are available on the market. Dense lines are used infrequently. Generally the grass trimmer is equipped with a cord with a thickness of no more than 3.2 mm.
The range of lines for grass trimmers is very wide
Each type of mowing line has its own thickness of line. If you use a thread thinner than the model is designed for, the speed of the shaft will increase, which can lead to a decrease in the functionality of the machine. Too thick string in the grass trimmer slows down rotation and often causes engine malfunction.
Therefore, for each class of grass trimmer there is a certain diameter of line:
- Thin string. 1.2 to 1.6 mm. This string is for regular lawn care. It is usually used in electric trimmers with low power. 500W. Mows young grass well.
- line for medium-diameter trimmer. 2.2.4mm. Use cord, both for gasoline trimmers, and for devices running on electricity. Not only succulent grass but also dry, tough lawns can be mowed with this line.
- Thicker cord. 3. 3,2 mm. String comes with heavy-duty mowers with thick stems and dead wood.
2 mm line is used for gasoline trimmers with a curved shaft. thicker cords. 2.4 to 3 mm. are usually suitable for straight mower linkage models.
4 mm trimmer line can be installed in a lawnmower with a very powerful engine. It is most often used to remove overgrown weeds with thick and stiff rods.
You can choose the trimmer line of the required thickness according to the operating instructions supplied with the machine.
Classification of lines for grass trimmer
Classification by cross-sectional area
Trimmer lines are made in different cross-sections. The most relevant is considered to be the round form of thread. They are versatile and inexpensive.
Each form of cross-section of the line has its purpose, as well as the advantages and disadvantages:
- Round line. Trimmer line comes in different thicknesses, so it can be used for cutting any type of vegetation. At a low flow rate, it can withstand considerable loads. The disadvantage of round filament is high noise level during operation and the inability to cut tree-trunked bushes.
- Twisted cord. With this line shape you can mow tough grass, including coarse dead grass. The line for the trimmer is very strong and works very quietly. But it can only be used for certain lawnmowers. Also, twisted cord is relatively inexpensive.
- Multifaceted trimmer line. The thread can have from three to six facets. Used for high-powered devices. Easily cuts through brushwood and brushwood with tough, stiff twigs. The only disadvantage is the high consumption of the product.
- Curved cord. Cord can withstand heavy loads. Cuts grass in any density and density, including brush stems.Requires a special reel for this line. Not often used because of high costs.
For regular lawn care, round cord is mainly used. All other products with different cross-sectional shapes are only used in dense areas where more effort is needed to clear it.
For regular lawn care, mostly round strands are used
Classification by structure
An important criterion for choosing a thread for the grass trimmer is its structure. On the qualities and type of material depends on the service life of the product. Three types of trimmer line are produced:
- Nylon. The most common type of thread for lawnmowers. It is flexible and lightweight. The material has high wear resistance and does not deteriorate from temperature changes. Profitability of the line is justified by its low cost and productivity.
- Coaxial. Elastic thread with a strong core inside. This line for trimmer has high wear resistance and withstands the highest loads. It is considered the most expensive and the strongest.
- With aluminum flecks. With such a line you can mow rough thickets of weeds, its composition includes small fragments of aluminum, which give it high strength.
Nylon thread is the most popular among users. Aluminum and coaxial fishing line for trimmers is mainly used for trimming sturdy branches and dense thickets with a high power grass trimmer
Grass trimmer line winding technology
After you have removed and disassembled the reel, you can start winding the line. If only one tendril is sticking out of the spool, then everything is simple here. You need to unwind 2-4 meters of fishing line, this is half a skein of fishing line purchased by you in the store, find on the inside of the spool fixing the fishing line for trimmer hole, insert one end of the fishing line there and start winding up the line for trimmer in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the spool on trimmer.
An arrow on the inside of the spool usually indicates which way to wind the trimmer line. Having wound the fishing line for the trimmer, we leave a small piece of it to put it through the round hole of the spool. This piece is fixed in a special groove, located on the inside of the spool, designed to ensure that at the time of assembly of the spool the line for the trimmer does not unwind. If there is no such groove, you will have to hold the line for the trimmer with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further assembly of the spool. Next, take the other part of the spool and pass the leftover piece of fishing line through the existing hole. After that, you can reassemble the spool and put it back on the grass trimmer.
Reel for grass trimmer with a chain with their own hands
I want to share with you some useful information for those who use trimmers, also called lawnmowers, benzo. and brushcutter, and residents of bedroom communities of apartment buildings dubbed it “good morning, country. But as it is, most people wonder if there are options such as a perpetual line for a grass trimmer with their own hands. So as not to keep users waiting, I will say at once: “Yes, it exists, and it will outlive even the tool itself”.
At first it would not hurt to understand what wears out the factory line for the trimmer, which is constantly necessary to change, which is not very convenient, and sometimes such a need can even spoil the mood, because there is simply nothing to replace it with. I noticed that lawnmowers, in order to finish the work, are forced to use some wire instead of the line, and even saw on the Internet that for this purpose tried to apply pieces of a soft hacksaw blade, broken in half. there are holes on both sides for fixing. But all these attempts are ineffective, because the cutting element always breaks, or tears from hitting hard trunks of weeds or foreign objects that are in the grass.
Instead of a fishing line, it is much better to use a thin steel rope. its threads are made from tool steel, which is not subject to corrosion, but has an extremely high barrier of strength. That is, in fact, the pieces of steel wire installed on the rotating disc of brushcutter should serve forever, at least much longer than the trimmer for grass. But this is not quite true. To be exact, in order to ensure that the cable has an endless service life, its free end has to be sealed, which is not at all easy or even impossible to do in home conditions. The point is that the frequent blows will make the tip of such a secant element start to unravel, and it will gradually turn into a bundle of steel threads, which will get tangled. There is one conclusion: if you can solder the tip like a plumber’s cable, do it and use it for good.
Semi-automatic spools and how effective are they?
The most popular among mowers are the heads on grass trimmers semi-automatic type. From the name it is clear that the line for the trimmer comes out of the spool in semi-automatic mode. For this purpose, the head is equipped with a mechanism by which the line is fed. The filament mower needs to touch the bottom of the head on the ground to activate the mechanism. It is very handy, because there is no need to stop the tool motor and cut the grass.
Extension of the filament is by means of centrifugal forces. It is very easy and comfortable to work with a semi-automatic spool head. Many craftsmen recommend this option, but do not specify the following information:
- If semi-automatic spools are to be used, exclusively brand-name models
- It is not rational to buy cheap devices, as they do not last even a few months
- It is rational to buy semi-automatic type reels, which are designed directly for a particular brand and model of grass trimmer, as universal ones are often of low quality of assembly
Based on the above, it should be noted that it is not always rational to buy a reel for trimmers semi-automatic type, especially if there are models more perfect and no less reliable. automatic.
Types of reels according to the method of filament feeding
The majority of amateur and household brushcutters are distinguished by a simple device. They consist of an engine, a boom in which a flexible or rigid drive shaft is located, a handle and a cutting organ, the role of which is often played by the grass trimmer head. According to the line feeding principle, heads are divided into the following types:
- Manual. the headset of this type got its name due to the fact that the cutting cord in it is fed manually. Each time it is necessary to lengthen the line for the trimmer, the operator must stop working with the trimmer and pull it out mechanically. This brings its own inconveniences, but this type of devices is considered the most popular among gardeners. Hand-operated reels differ from their counterparts in durability and low prices;
- Semi-automatic. with this type of head, you can extend the cord by pressing the head to the ground. During this, the button is pressed, which activates the anchoring mechanism. It creates a centrifugal force that pushes the cord outward. Semi-automatic grass trimmer head has one important advantage. when using it, you do not need to stop working with the brushcutter, as you can extend the line for the trimmer while the engine is running. The only drawback is that semi-automatic cutting heads cost a little more than manual coils;
Each of the listed types of cutting equipment is suitable for use in certain conditions. Hand-operated heads are best used in areas with hard obstacles. The low cost of this type of headset makes it possible to buy several hand heads at once and replace them one by one as they fail. Automatic models, on the contrary, are quite expensive, so they are best used for the care of clean areas.
Trimmer heads: types and principle of operation
The domestic market offers trimmer owners several types of spools: manual, semi-automatic, automatic and universal. They differ from each other both in the way they feed the line, and the principle of its charging. You can also wind the line for the trimmer in different ways. According to this principle, spools are classified into quick-charge and collapsible.
Before you buy a grass trimmer and / or buy spare spools for it, it is necessary to get acquainted with what kind of consumables are suitable for this or that model. This is important, as bobbins from different manufacturers may differ not only by the methods of filing and filling the cord, but also by the attachment axis, the type of thread, and the diameter of the line used. For example:
- the fastening axis can be fixed (fixed) or rotated 90°, 180° or 360°;
- for low-power trimmers, a trimmer line with a diameter of 1.3 to 1.6 mm, and up to 2.0 mm for more productive trimmers is suitable;
- Professional grass trimmers, as a rule, are equipped with universal heads with a cutting cord diameter of 2.5 to 4.0 mm.
Tip! Experts recommend using string heads equipped with ball bearings, as they have a longer service life, while reducing the wear and tear of the incoming components. Thus for replacement it is better to choose a reel of that manufacturer which is specified in the operation manual of a grass trimmer that in turn will allow to install the head on its drive correctly.
Reels with manual control
manual mowing head is a spool, in which the cutting cord is pulled by the grass trimmer owner himself when worn. To do this, turn off the tool, remove the head, and use your hands to pull the trimmer line to the desired length. However, despite some inconveniences, this type of head is considered the most reliable.
Algorithm of winding the line
Depending on the grass trimmer model used, the type, thickness and length of the mowing line are selected. The diameter of the line can be from 1.2 to 4mm. It’s not hard to guess that the thicker you wind the cord, the stiffer and thicker you can cut it.
There are 3 ways to find out what diameter of fishing line you can use on your mower.
- Refer to the instruction manual of the device for the cord thickness.
- Look at the spool itself. It can be labeled with information about possible line diameters.
- Insert the line for the trimmer into the socket. If it fits easily into it, you can use a cord of this diameter.
the line for the trimmer is wound on a spool located in the mowing head. Therefore, it must first be opened (this was discussed above). There are two ways to wind the cord.
To correctly determine how many meters of fishing line are needed for a particular spool, you need to wind it on the spool, so that the spool does not exceed the diameter of the boards. If the trimmer line extends beyond the edges of the spool, you can’t fit it into the cap. Once you have decided on the length of the material, you need to load it into the reel, so do the following.
- You need to fold the line for the trimmer in half, so that one end is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Notice that the reel is divided into two parts by the center side, which is where the charging starts. Find a recess on it and insert the cord, bent in half, into it with a little effort.
- It is very important to determine which direction the trimmer line is wound to the spool. If you look carefully, you may find an arrow on the reel or an inscription with an arrow indicating which direction to wind. There are cases where there is no arrow on the spool. In this situation, you can look at the painted arrow on the reel head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- The winding should be carried out carefully, wrapped around the spool, with the maximum tension of the thread.
- After the cord is finished, you must first secure the short end of the mowing line by inserting it into the groove of the appropriate diameter on the side of the spool.
- The other end, the true end, is mounted in a groove on the opposite side of the coil.
- Once you have secured the line, cut the ends off, leaving an allowance of around 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install the aged spool into the mowing head. To do this, insert and pull the thread through the output holes of the head, insert the spool into the body, and then, applying the necessary force, pull the line for the trimmer from the fastening grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put the cover on and secure it with the snaps.
The second way
Some spools provide a second method of securing the cord: instead of one folded in half, you can charge 2 pieces of string, the line for the trimmer is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before replacing or loading new thread into the spool, determine how many meters will be needed as described above.
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook shape.
- Find the hole in the bottom of the spool to secure the trimmer line, and insert the end of the line, bent into a loop.
- It is necessary to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow up to the desired level, not exceeding the diameter of the spool.
- Do the same for the second spool slot.
- Assembling the head is no different than the method provided for threading the reel, considered with a double piece of fishing line.
For STIHL-brand motor braids There is a very quick and easy way to change a trimmer line without disassembling the mower, which you can see by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the body can be cut to the desired length when the part is installed in the trimmer. There are two ways to do this:
- Turning on the grass trimmer (while rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut around the blade attached to the protective cover for this purpose);
- By trimming the extra ends with scissors so that they do not touch the body.
The second method is used if you need to put on a cord with a large diameter, and the cutter can not shorten it.
If the thread is threaded into the mowing head but the length of the cord protruding ends is insufficient, they must be lengthened before the machine is started. this applies to the manually-adjusted head. However, there are cases where a semi-automatic mower is used, when due to insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not automatically lengthen. In this case, you need to turn off the machine (it is absolutely necessary to pull the plug out of the socket on the electrical device), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little fishing line for the trimmer. After this procedure, the cord will be able to lengthen again due to centrifugal force if you set the spindle speed to maximum.
Installing the cover on the mousetrap
A mousetrap is made from two identical bottles with a capacity of 1.5-2 liters. In the first bottle, only a part of the conical part is cut off, while in the second bottle the conical part is completely cut off. The conical part of the second bottle will be the lid of the trap.
Let’s make two symmetric holes on the edges of the conical part of the first bottle to fix a fishing line and hang the bottle overturned by a rodent on this line. We put a lid to the top of the first bottle and mark the centers of two holes with a diameter of 5-7 mm, which coincide with the centers of holes for the lines output of the suspension. Making holes in the lid. With our own hands we pass a line for a trimmer through the holes in the lid and tie it to the first bottle.
Is it possible to use a rope instead of a fishing line on a trimmer?
You can, of course. However, it is necessary to understand that this undertaking is not safe and that the transmission of the gasoline trimmer breaks down very quickly. Really, a steel cord is a hundred times stronger than a fishing line, even a special one, a trimmer one. It will not tear as often from grass, twigs and rocks, so it will last much longer.
It should be understood that the line for the trimmer tears at the work of the grass trimmer for a reason, and from a strong load. The result is that the engine of the brushcutter does not choke and the dynamic shocks to the transmission of the lawnmower are dampened. In the case of a steel cable, all the load will be on the transmission, and it will quickly fail as a result.
If you really want to try to use a cable on your brushcutter, you should at least install it correctly. First, you can not wind a long cable on the spool. Make its length so that it does not catch the grass trimmer’s protective cover when you rotate the reel.
Be sure to clamp the cable with washers in the middle part and put one drop of welding on its ends, so that it does not unravel. As a result, the cable should not have any release, and welding on the ends will protect it from unraveling. However, even so, it is very unsafe to use a wire on a chain saw or trimmer. Much easier to use off-the-shelf attachments.
The range of machines for saw chain repair
A special machine for riveting chainsaw chains is included in the list of working equipment of specialized workshops. The proposed range includes several budget and branded models of imported production
The riveting machines of the STIHL, Husqvarna and Champion brands are characterized by increased capabilities and a comfortable level of operation.
Technically advanced devices ensure high quality rivet joints, saving time and money.
Conclusions on efficiency
To summarize, it is worth saying that manufacturers do not just use a special line for the trimmer. It is optimally suited to the work with this tool: Mows the grass well and doesn’t overload the mechanics of the unit. If it has run out, and there is still a lot of work to be done, it is better to buy a new one. For temporary use, of course, you can install a metal rope, but at the first opportunity it should be changed, for a special line for the trimmer. Otherwise, it is detrimental to the technical condition of the tool.
To choose a line for a trimmer not only by thickness but also by shape, you have to do this: the cord does not cut the stem, but breaks it. A rotating stringline that repeatedly strikes the surface of the stem and finally separates the top part of the stem. For this kind of work, the shape of the cutting edge is an important technical feature.