Stihl 180 Bad Starts For Hot
The light and compact model of the tool is used for domestic purposes, but despite the optimized performance, the Stihl chainsaw sometimes does not start. The problems are manifested in the fact that the engine turns on and stalls, works unstably, cannot develop the required power or unexpectedly gains high speed.
Why the Stihl chainsaw won’t start
For a preliminary diagnosis of the causes, the operation of the gas pump, the appearance of the spark plug, fuel intake, carburetor functionality and filter condition are checked. Pay attention to the performance of cylinders, pistons, muffler, crankshaft bearings. After preventive measures, they try to start a chainsaw. Inadequate lubrication of rubbing parts also becomes a factor in poor performance.
Lack of spark
Spark test on spark plug. The functioning of an element is influenced by various factors. When testing the mechanism, the causes are identified:
- insufficient carburetor adjustment;
- large oil in gasoline;
- clogged fuel and air filters.
Due to the work in such conditions, deposits accumulate on the contacts of the candle. Subsequent corrosion of the conductors causes no spark in half of the faults. This is because the gap between the modular contacts changes. To test the sparks, do the following:
- the tip of the high voltage cable is removed;
- the candle is twisted;
- the tip is put in place;
- the candle is propped against the cylinder with a wide end;
- start the starter.
If during start-up a bright spark resembling lightning appears between the electrodes, the ignition unit is in good condition. If there is no flash, they clean the entire element and set the gap between the conductors. Sometimes there is no gap between the flywheel and the ignition coil. When the flywheel is rubbed, scratches are visible on its exterior.
Malfunction of the ignition coil
The module or coil is not disassembled, its suitability is difficult to identify without testing devices. Modern ignition systems are durable, lightweight and small in size. They are characterized by almost failure-free functionality. Chainsaw malfunctions due to the ignition coil can be fixed by yourself.
Test the outlet wires for damage (including internal) that occurs due to vibration leading to friction. If no cracks are found, then the ignition coil needs to be replaced. Sometimes a malfunction of the module is indicated by a faint, barely noticeable flash when the saw is heated. This is due to an increase in coil temperature, which leads to an increase in transistor resistance.
The peculiarity is that at the beginning of the work a spark can appear, but after prolonged use it becomes dull and disappears. Modern ignition coils in the home workshop are not repaired, therefore they are replaced with suitable elements.
After twisting the candle on its surface, a wet coating is detected. This indicates an excessive supply of gasoline to the combustion chamber. For this reason, the tool does not work or stalls, because the fuel does not ignite.
Another inhibitory factor is clogging of the breather, a small hole in the cap of the gas tank. It is cleaned with a needle, otherwise the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw will not start. To determine the wrong fuel supply, carry out sequential actions:
- remove the candle;
- 2 cubes of gasoline are poured into a hole in a candle with a syringe;
- put the ignition device in place and put on the cap of the high-voltage wire;
- the lever is moved to the hot start position;
- pull the starter handle a couple of times.
If the tool starts and immediately stalls, then the fuel line is tested further. Check the gasoline filter, the surge from the crankcase, the integrity of the septum in the pump when unscrewing the cover.
Crankshaft bearing failure
With bearing defects, a slight play is felt. To identify it, the flywheel of the Stihl MS 180 saw is shaken from one side to the other. The movement indicates that the flywheel is shifted towards the electrodes by its own magnets, as a result of which there is no spark. To remove the mechanism, remove the cutting element, remove the filter cover and clutch. For the crankshaft stopper, remove the manual starter cover and tighten two bolts.
The clutch is unscrewed using a key clockwise. Remove the drum with an asterisk, change the old clutch and spin it all the way. Lock the crankshaft so as not to break the starter. The mechanism is going in the reverse order. To tighten, the brake lever is tilted forward, the tool is turned on, then removed from the brake.
rarely, bearings with defective bearings are detected (the diameter of the holes in the cage is increased). To determine, disassemble and measure using a micrometer. A broken knock indicates broken bearings. In this case, urgent repair is required, because if the integrity of the crankshaft is violated, the piston group and cylinder will fail.
Fills the spark plug
In this case, the spark is not able to ignite the fuel, which in large quantities enters the furnace for burning a combustible mixture. If the candle is filled, then the carburetor is defective or the cold engine does not start correctly. The engine is purged, the procedure is performed with the ignition turned off and far from an open flame. To ensure ignition of the fuel at the time of start-up, clean the mechanism:
- unscrew the candle, wipe it dry, dry for half an hour;
- a large layer of carbon is removed by a file;
- between the contacts regulate the gap;
- the tool is turned upside down and the gasoline is drained;
- in this position, the starter is pulled several times (to remove residual fuel);
- reassemble in the reverse order.
Stihl chainsaw stalls: reasons
If the tool turns off immediately after start-up, it means that some device or part has broken. To determine the cause, they test the mechanism on their own or in service workshops. Sometimes the reason that the mechanism starts up poorly is the incorrect maintenance of the saw:
- insufficient gasoline;
- poorly prepared fuel mixture;
- poor lubrication quality;
- silencer clogged by combustion products;
- unregulated carburetor;
- air filter obstruction;
- malfunction of the piston or cylinder.
When you press the gas
Sawing units are idling, but the chainsaw stalls when gas is pressed, because the load increases. The tool is heated before use, driving the engine at idle for a minute. If this is neglected, the motor stops after pressing the pedal. Other reasons may include:
- a clogged or unregulated combustible fuel mixing unit;
- a clogged air filter does not provide the desired air flow with increasing load;
- contaminated gasoline filter does not pass the required amount of the mixture;
- the wall of the cylinder and piston rubs.
The low octane number of the fuel causes the brake, because this circumstance does not allow the motor to achieve the required power with increasing load.
Violation of the functionality of the fuel assembly system leads to air leaks. In this case, the unit stalls at idle and does not hold their number. An additional suction reduces the air pulse to the fuel pump and passes through the membrane of the sump or crankshaft oil seals. Diagnostics is done with a vacuum gauge.
Cessation of engine cold operation occurs for other reasons:
- the candle channel contains an excess amount of a combustible mixture;
- the gap between the tip of the candle and the high-voltage cradle is not adjusted;
- power supply failure.
The seals are checked by pouring gasoline into the crankcase, the leak is visible visually. This means that the engine does not work at idle, and at high frequency, leaky seals will cause the bearings to seize. In case of leakage of elements they are replaced with new ones and sealing is carried out.
At full speed
Sometimes the engine stalls after normal operation. To establish the cause, pay attention to related circumstances:
- The motor stalls in the middle of work for no apparent reason. The starter is stationary and does not turn. So, the tool is jammed and needs urgent repair.
- During normal operation, power decreases in a short time and the engine stops, the cylinders are overheated. The situation indicates the occurrence of air leakage under the rubber pipe between the carburetor cylinder, possibly due to a gap. Air depletes fuel; a nozzle replacement is required.
Not gaining momentum
Many systems of the mechanism are involved in the launch, so the loss of revolutions of the Stihl chainsaw after idling can be a consequence of various factors. Confident idling and interruptions in the engine under load can occur for the following reasons:
- engine resource output;
- wear, deformation and corrosion of the piston group;
- malfunction of the ignition coil or spark plug;
- imbalance of carburetor screws.
If the tool does not develop revolutions, then the conductivity of the hole in the fuel tank cap is broken. The occurrence of vacuum does not provide the required amount of fuel, because the engine does not gain the required power. Turnovers are reduced with the accumulation of carbon monoxide in the muffler, and it is difficult to remove gases from combustion.
Does not slow down
The tool quickly reaches its maximum speed and power does not decrease. This situation is explained by the fact that:
- the throttle does not work due to the weakening of the spring or traction element;
- intermittent failure of the toggle switch;
- no corkscrew on the axis of the throttle;
- clogged carburetor;
- The fuel hose and gasoline filter are not working properly.
What to do
The power tool is operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Only after checking the chain tension does the unit start up. At the same time, the filling of the tanks with a combustible mixture and oil is controlled, the device is securely fixed in your hands. If, when all the rules are followed, the mechanism refuses to work, then the Stihl chainsaw is repaired.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw: instructions
The tool manufacturer took all measures and developed a manual, thanks to which the mechanism starts conveniently. The user will protect himself from injuries if he performs the proposed frequency of actions:
- The ignition is switched on and the engine handle is set to the lower position. Atmospheric intake from the air filter is blocked by a carburetor damper. To start the chainsaw correctly, the throttle membrane must be open to enrich the combustible mixture.
- The lever is set to the start gas position. The starter twitches several times until the first spark appears. If the flash passes, the instrument is ready to start. The mechanism operates at high speeds due to the closed throttle membrane. To transfer it to the idle regulation, a gas trigger is pressed and a rhinestone is released. The number of revolutions quickly normalizes.
- The Stihl MC unit as standard is not equipped with additional devices to start a light chainsaw.
Before commissioning, tool maintenance is performed. In order for the idle adjustment to be effective, they do the following:
- carburetor cleaning;
- flushing the engine;
- air filter cleaning;
- warming up the motor.
To adjust the mechanism at idle, the appropriate adjusting screw is used. Its rotation depends on the required setting:
- In standard setup, the screw is turned counterclockwise to the position where it will turn tight. After that make 2 circles in the direction of the arrow.
- If the saw operates at low speeds, then the screw is turned clockwise until the moment when the chain starts to move. Then do half a circle in the opposite direction.
- At high frequency, the regulator is turned counterclockwise until the chain stops. After this, the rotation is continued for another half revolution in the same direction.
Видео: Stihl 180 Bad Starts For Hot
It will not be possible to adjust idle operation if there is air leakage into the engine through a gasket, acceleration pump, oil seals or for another reason.
Gasoline engines are equipped with an ignition system that ignites the fuel. The time the flash occurs affects the operation of the motor. With mass production in the factory, the ignition adjustment of the chainsaw is not done. On the corresponding rotating elements, labels are set, which, when configured, are combined. Incorrect adjustment leads to the fact that the mechanism starts and stalls.
Before adjusting, check the dryness of the spark plug and the performance of the ignition circuit. The voltage supply cable to the candle is brought to the cylinder with a small gap and the starter is started. If there is no flash, test the cable with a probe. Then check the serviceability of the wire to the disconnecting button.
If the cables are undamaged, then check the ignition coil. This is done with a special tester to ring the device. In this case, the indicators on the device must coincide with the technical characteristics of the coil, which are prescribed in the instructions for use. If discrepancies are detected, the ignition unit is changed to a workable device.
The coil may become unusable due to vibration when the tool falls or hits, so work carefully.
Replacing crankshaft bearings
To begin with, the compression is measured, if it is not there, then the reason lies in the breakdown of the piston group.
The required pressure in the cylinder should be 8 atm, if it is lower, then the cylinder and piston, rings, crankshaft bearings may have worn out.
To find out the state of the piston system, you need to completely disassemble the saw and remove all the main components of the mechanism:
- dismantle the headset, remove the cover on the bus;
- remove the tire guide and tool chain with the key from the kit;
- remove the air filter, remove the spark plug;
- the piston stopper is fixed in place of the candle to fix the crankshaft;
- the clutch is removed, then access to the clutch system is opened.
Rings with bearings inspect, identify defects. Replacement can be carried out independently, which will require repair skills, or take the tool to a specialized workshop. Assembly is done in reverse order.
Now the manufacturer Stihl takes a leading place among other companies that create the release of equipment created for agricultural and construction works. The products of this manufacturer are famous not only for their highest level of properties, however, in addition to its good pricing policy and the power of its models.
Who would not dream, it is not possible to meet a person who would not have a chainsaw of this brand. This is one of the most recognizable global companies. But the fact that out of 10 likely 6 people have exactly them. All this is understandable, because Stihl chainsaws are power on par with the elegance of design. However, I regret that such technology giants from time to time become unusable and require a certain kind of repair. Now we will pay attention to one of the moles of this manufacturer, specifically the Stihl ms 180 chainsaw. Read about the stihl ms 660 chainsaw here. What we need, let’s get started.
Briefly about the main thing
This model is the pride of a German manufacturer and is a specific inventory created for an insignificant level of work. It is used less than 20 hours every month. This beautiful device can easily cope with the care of your garden, prepare firewood for the period of cold weather (see how to cut down a tree), produce cleared areas, will also be an irreplaceable assistant in other areas, so we will say easy manipulations.
Bad stihl chainsaw background.
It is worth noting that these mini-chainsaw models, because it has little weighing 3.9 kg, she does not have a large mass of tank, both oil and fuel. The manufacturer equipped this device with a two-stroke engine a good power option for light work.
In addition, it is quite quiet because at the time of operation, the noise level does not exceed 98 dB. So that you better understand the degree of volume itself, just compare its noise with colloquial speech, which has an indicator of 76 dB.
The power of this model is equal to 2.6 W. It is worth noting that this is a fairly substantial level of strength, given that it is not a professional chainsaw. The oil tank has a volume of only 0.145 liters, and the fuel tank has 0.25 liters. The tire measures 350 mm and the pitch is 0.325 inches.
The basis of the plant of this kind of model, however, and all other chainsaws is a carburetor. But since we are talking today about the Stihl 180 chainsaw, it will not leave the topic. So. The carburetor in this model has a single tuning screw, that is, this is a kind of idle adjustment screw. While the full-load jet is stationary.
Chainsaw carburetor Stihl 180
Stihl chainsaw fails to start cold.
In simple words, we can say that it simply cannot be adjusted (see here), while the full load setting simply cannot be changed. It is important that the carburetor at the factory was set up in such a way that regardless of the conditions under which the chainsaw is directly operated, the air-fuel mixture is supplied to the engine itself.
The saw does not start: causes and solutions
First of all, it is worth noting the fact that the chainsaw 180 of this manufacturer is one of its best “creations”, but it also has its drawbacks. Actually, about which we will talk now.
- A fairly common problem is that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start and floods a candle. The reason for this is that the oil that is added to lubricate the chain starts to leak. Since time is mercilessly and simply leakage is made exactly in the place where the hose from the oil pump and oil tank is actually connected. Naturally, this problem can be solved but, given the design of this chainsaw, this will not be so simple, as it will simply have to be completely disassemble the device so that, as they say, get to the right place. The video shows more clearly: https: //www.youtube.com/watch? V = UOsYJBOVuwg
- Many people care about this question: why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? If you believe the experts, then in such a situation, you first need to open, and then close the lid, which is located on the gas tank. Or get out and dry the candles. Or try to ventilate the combustion chamber. In most cases, this kind of manipulation is enough to make the device work. But there are times when the Stihl chainsaw does not start, but there is a spark.
- In the above case, you need to directly gas supply check, air filter and the direct performance of precisely a candle. Since the basis of this type of damage is the breather, namely its pollution. Because when it is completely full, a kind of vacuum appears in the gas tank itself, which simply interferes with the fuel supply process. It is not difficult to solve this issue, since all you need to do is clean it by using a needle.
- There are also situations where the device in principle wound up, but immediately stalled.
Stihl 180 chainsaw starts poorly.
Stihl MS 180. It takes a long time to get cold.
The video discusses carburetor repair using a new repair kit for gaskets and membranes, tuning.
The main causes of this type of malfunction are the carburetor and filter, which could simply become clogged.
In order to exclude the saloon from damaged objects, it is necessary first of all to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor itself and actually check whether fuel flows out of it.
Chainsaw Chain Lubrication
- Connecting tubes or the connections themselves may also leak in the area of the oil pump fittings.
- It happens that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start well due to cylinder that can be broken. But to determine its condition, a visual inspection is enough. But if there you find the formation of bumps and chips, then you can be sure that you found the cause of the breakdown.
- If through verification you find that malfunction in the candle, then you simply need to twist it, and then make direct drying. But it is worth noting that you can’t puncture it in any case, since you simply ruin the part and it will be unusable. You also need to drain excess fuel from it through a special hole.
In addition, you must remember that direct drying should be done for at least thirty minutes, and only after such manipulations can you install it back and actually try to launch the tool directly.
over, it may be such that your candle’s expiration date has simply passed, in which case it is necessary to replace it. Therefore, it’s good advice that it is best to always have a new candle in stock or the best set. Then you can replace it at any time and actually understand whether there was a direct cause of a device breakdown in it. over, the cause of the breakdown can be a weak contact that actually connects the high-voltage wire and the end of the candle. Also, the cause may be a breakdown of the ignition unit. It is worth noting the fact that in order to eliminate this kind of problem it is necessary to replace the unit itself since it cannot be repaired.
Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start up cold.
But it is worth noting that it will be best if the specialists will repair it, since if you have the necessary knowledge and skills, then you can simply break it and have to buy a new one.
It is important that if you even found the very cause of the malfunction of the tool, this does not mean at all that you can eliminate it yourself. Since there are such breakdowns that can only be fixed by a specialist. If you have carried out direct manipulations regarding checking and replacing the quality of the oil (see Stihl chainsaw oil), but nevertheless the chainsaw refuses to start, then you must continue to search.
But if you fully performed all the manipulations prescribed above and did not miss a single nuance, but still the instrument has not yet been fixed, then in this case the problem lies in the group called the cylinder. But if you still couldn’t bring your iron friend back to life, then simply take the chainsaw to a service center where your device will be repaired. Also, do not forget to look after the engine to find out the ratio of gasoline to oil for chainsaws, read this article.
In fact, as you see, the reasons for the breakdown of the Stihl 180 chainsaw are quite a lot, and at the same time there are not a few solutions to this problem. If you are faced with this situation, then simply follow all the recommendations written above and then, of course, you can repair your device, and it will delight you with its work for many years to come.
We also recommend that you review the rating of the best chainsaws.
The Stihl ms 180 chainsaw is a portable device. This model has an engine with a capacity of 1400 watts, with a volume equal to 31 cubic meters. see. Power tool chain length 350 mm. In the market, the chainsaw has established itself only on the positive side, but there are some inconveniences when working with it. In this case, the master must be able to independently repair the breakdowns.
Tool Application Guide
The stihl chainsaw should be operated according to the established rules and strictly adhere to the instructions. Before switching on, it is necessary to check the correctness of the chain tension. The lid on the oil tank must always tighten tightly. The oil pump should be constantly checked and kept in good condition. The engine is started after a reliable fixation of the tool in the hands. When working with wood, it is not recommended to place the tool at a large angle. During operation of the chainsaw should carefully monitor the condition of the tire. In the event of a breakdown, you can always repair your Stihl 180 chainsaw yourself.
For trouble-free operation of the chainsaw, the following worn parts must be changed in a timely manner:
Stihl 180 chainsaw device diagram:
In this model, the carburetor is located next to the starter. Chainsaw carburetor adjustment is carried out using a screwdriver. The cover is removed, then the clutch is twisted, after which the carburetor becomes available. Adjustment is made clockwise, while being careful not to twist the spring located inside the carburetor. If the adjusting knob remains untapped, then the saw will not start the first time.
Why can a chainsaw start up poorly? The cause of power loss and idle support is a carburetor malfunction. Contamination of the latter can be caused by dust particles and sawdust. Such a malfunction can be easily fixed in the home..
To troubleshoot a Stihl 180 chainsaw you will need:
- Cross-shaped screwdriver.
- Wrench on 8.
Troubleshooting and repairing the carburetor for a Stihl 180 chainsaw begins with the removal of dirt, dust particles and minor wood. For these purposes, use a brush. After the entire surface is cleaned of debris, the lid is removed, and then the filter.
The air collector will be released after unscrewing the fasteners of the air filter. After that, access to the rods and accelerator will appear. The accelerator can be easily removed after the shutter has lowered by pressing down.
The carburetor leaves its seat after removing and closing the suction lever. After the motor stop cord is removed and extended to itself. The attachment point for the wire is being removed.
As a result of these actions, the carburetor is released, and there is the possibility of its extraction and subsequent cleaning. For such purposes, it is most convenient to use a compressor, and in the absence of a compressor, parts can be washed in clean gasoline.
The carburetor is assembled in the opposite way. If after the assembly process smoke is exited from the muffler or engine start-up is difficult, you should make sure that there is a spring under the lever needle (it is often forgotten to put it in place).
This spring closes the fuel supply, and in its absence there is a spontaneous pouring of gasoline into the candle. It is very important that the spring is installed in its place, and make sure that the candle is working.
Bad contact of the high-voltage wire with the end of the plug can also be a tool breakdown. To eliminate such damage, replace the problematic parts..
Parts such as a tire, sprockets and chain are most often affected by an early failure. They play an anti-vibration role, so after a failure they change in the first place. Such parts are best left in stock.
A starter may be guilty of not starting a chainsaw. To inspect the starter, it will be necessary to remove the cover protecting the carburetor. A special screen will be placed behind the clutch. You can unscrew it with a screwdriver.
After the clutch drum is disconnected, starter service is possible. In this design, the chainsaw is located under the carburetor. First of all, on the starter, it is worth examining the insulation. If the contact wire moves away from the starter, you need to use a soldering iron. Another problem may be due to oil leakage, in which case the starter is simply wiped with a cloth.
The flywheel stopped working
Flywheel repair is quite simple. To start the inspection of the chainsaw, it is necessary to drain all gasoline from the fuel tank. The flywheel is located above the air filter to make it possible to get to it, you need to remove the back cover. After that, the cylinder is removed.
The next step will be to remove the plunger, it will not work to remove it with a key: you need to carefully knock it down with a hammer. In this case, an important task will not spoil the carburetor blades. The flywheel is attached behind a small cap; it needs to be twisted counterclockwise. Then you can get the flywheel. If during inspection on the flywheel minor scratches are found, then it is lubricated with machine oil. With significant deformation, the part will need to be replaced. Its market price is approximately from 361 to 450 rubles.
In the event that the flywheel and starter are in perfect order, and the chainsaw still does not start, the Stihl 180 chainsaw may malfunction in the drum. It is located next to the guide, which is located in the carburetor. With such a breakdown, the plunger may also be damaged. For self-repair of the drum, the tire is first disconnected. Next, the back cover is unscrewed and the carburetor is inspected. If no obvious damage is found during inspection, the guide is removed.
After that, the cam is inspected, it is directly connected to the adjustment shaft. If small cracks are found on the cam, it is lubricated with engine oil. Then the carburetor is installed in its place. You can try to start the tool engine. If the saw will work too loudly, it means that the cam beats on the guide. In such a situation, you must immediately turn off the chainsaw, otherwise the adjustment shaft may be damaged. To replace the cam yourself, you need to remove the stop located near the carburetor. After the limiter is removed, it will be possible to unscrew the cam. The adjustment shaft can not be removed.
Replacing the connecting rod
Damage to the throttle can also be the reason that the chainsaw does not start. To eliminate this damage, the presence of a second person is necessary, since it will be difficult for one to adjust the tension of the limiter. To inspect the throttle, you need to get to the chainsaw fuel system. The side cover is removed, then the connecting rod is inspected. A broken throttle can be used to clean the check valve contamination. In this case, it changes to a new one (its price is within 250 rubles). To remove and subsequently replace a part, the tire is first removed.
Using the key, the clamps that hold the throttle are easily unscrewed. Further, the throttle itself is removed from the upper side. The new one is installed in the reverse order. An assistant will be needed for the stretch, as the stretch should be good. If the valve will not fit snugly on the cover, then the throttle is not tight enough.