Than Cut Plastic Panels For Bathroom
The bathroom is considered one of the most important rooms of housing, since it is in it that the day of all family members begins and ends, so that it should be not only comfortable but also beautiful, special attention should be paid to its design. Today, there are many finishing materials with which you can originally complete the interior of the bathroom, with special attention to PVC wall panels. They perfectly protect the room from moisture, give it an aesthetic appearance and are easy to install.
Properties: Pros and Cons
Pvc panels are a unique facing product, which is made from polyvinyl chloride and is used to decorate rooms with high humidity. The composition of the material includes rock salt and elements of oil products. Thanks to special manufacturing technologies, these components are transformed into a high-strength polymer that is resistant to high temperature and has excellent performance characteristics. In addition to the main raw materials, various additives are also used in the PVC production process, which provide the panels with color, a porous structure and high protection against moisture.
The main advantages of this material include:
- Affordable price. Such a facing is considered budgetary and everyone can afford it.
- Huge selection of colors and textures. The market is represented by products of various colors, which not only imitate natural material, but are also decorated with photo printing.
- Durability. Since polyvinyl chloride is a waterproof product, it prevents the formation of mold and fungus on the surface of the finish, thereby increasing its service life.
- Good thermal insulation and sound absorption. The internal structure of the material is designed in such a way that it retains heat and external sounds well, it is very important for bathrooms. In addition, during installation work, a frame is installed on which another layer of insulation can be additionally laid.
- Environmental friendliness. The raw material from which the material is released is absolutely safe for human health.
- Quick installation. All work on the assembly and cladding of the structure is quite realistic to carry out independently, without having any special skills. In addition, there is no need to use a special tool for decoration. Thanks to wall panels, you can also hide all connections, wiring and engineering systems, giving the bathroom a stylish look. Sheet plates are flexible, so they are easily fixed both in horizontal and vertical directions at any angle.
- Easy to care. To clean the finish from dust and dirt, just wash or wipe the plastic with water. No special cleaning agents are required.
- Possibility of installation without preliminary surface preparation. The walls and ceiling, which are planned to be sheathed with PVC, do not need to be plastered and leveled, since the frame is attached to them and after finishing all the flaws will be hidden. The most important thing is that the facing surface is dry and clean.
As for the shortcomings, the wall panels are fire hazard, are subject to deformation at temperatures below.18 degrees and during installation slightly reduce the space of the bathroom. The disadvantage of products is their low strength, due to which they are unstable to the formation of scratches and chips. Installation is not recommended in rooms where direct sunlight penetrates, adversely affecting the finish. But, as a rule, there are no windows in the bathrooms, so this disadvantage can be eliminated.
Recently, for the implementation of design ideas in the bathroom, many owners of houses and apartments choose PVC panels, as they allow you to create any style, giving the room a modern look.
This material is available in several types:
- Rack and pinion. It is also called plastic lining. Such PVC has a standard length of rails of 300 cm and a width of 10-12.5 cm, the strips are equipped with special grooves, so they are installed exactly like a siding. Depending on the model range of rack plastic, they can have wide or narrow locking systems, which should be taken into account when choosing. It is usually used for cladding ceilings in the bathroom, but the slats are well suited for wall cladding. Due to the longitudinal or vertical placement of the plates, you can get a visual extension of the room. Plastic lining is traditionally made in a single color or imitation of wood with a colored border, it is resistant to moisture, but can be deformed under the influence of low temperature.
- Standard. It has the appearance of smooth panels with a length of 260-300 cm and a width of 25-37 cm. The product structure includes tongue-and-groove locks that allow quick installation and create a solid, durable coating that does not allow moisture to pass through. Such plates can be either colored, with photo printing, or with imitation of tile. These panels are much stronger, but their installation is more complicated.
- Sheet. It is large in size but thin lamellas 4.05 m long and 2.03 m wide. They are characterized by a special device and consist of two layers of plastic, between which longitudinal jumpers are built. Finishing with the material, as a rule, is done end-to-end, after which the seams are filled with sealant to the color of the coating. It is best to do the cladding with glue on an aligned base, but sometimes the installation is carried out on a crate. Sheet products come in various colors and textures, but require special installation technology and careful operation.
Depending on how PVC is attached, the products are divided into seamless, with a bevel and with a relief surface. Seamless type is often used for decorating ceilings. During installation, decorative elements are placed tightly to each other, resulting in a minimal seam. If the installation technology is performed correctly, then the connections between the plates are almost invisible and the finish takes a holistic look. In addition, using seamless panels on the ceiling and walls, you can create continuous patterns.
The material made in the form of a chamfer is in many ways similar to seamless lamellas, but unlike them, a chamfer is present at the end of the product. It is a decorative recess that allows you to connect the panels into one canvas. Chamfered PVC is also called rust panels, they can be purchased both for wall and ceiling cladding. If you want to get an amazing effect in the decoration of the walls, it is best to choose a material with a raised surface. Outwardly, it resembles a lining and has high wear resistance and strength, but in comparison with other types it costs much more.
Than Cut Plastic Panels For Bathroom
Pvc wall panels are ideal for interior decoration in the bathroom. They have a convenient rectangular shape and a reliable connecting system, thanks to which the installation is quick and easy. Today in the construction market you can find products not only differing in design, but also in size. Therefore, before starting installation, it is important to accurately calculate the area of the room and determine the consumption of material, given its size.
Usually the standard width of the lamellas corresponds to the dimensions of the ceramic tile and ranges from 20 to 30 cm, the length in this case can reach 3 m. The thickness of the products can be from 3 to 10 mm. These indicators, as a rule, depend on the type of panels and may vary. So, PVC slat has a width of 0.13 to 0.3 m, a length of 0.9 to 3 m, wall is produced respectively with a width of 0.15 to 0.5 m and a length of 2.6 to 3 m. There are wide tiled panels are also on sale, their parameters are 0.3-0.98 cm.
To finish the bathroom, it is recommended to choose products with a width of at least 10 cm, they are equipped with a wide lock “European” or narrower, which is called “polka”. Typically, this PVC has a double profile design, is available in a single color and easy to install. If you purchase material with a width of 15 to 50 cm, you will have to make a lot of effort to hide the seams. In the event that installation is done for the first time with your own hands, it is best to give preference to sheet plates with a width of 80 to 203 cm, a length of 159 to 405 cm and a thickness of up to 30 mm. These boards fasten quickly and create the perfect finishing surface.
Design and decor
Polyvinyl chloride is a plastic raw material, so during the production process not only strong, moisture resistant, but also beautiful panels are produced that are produced with a relief pattern, smooth or matte surface. Decorative panels go through several stages of processing and, depending on the method of applying the composition, there are laminated, offset and thermal converters. To extend their life and improve their appearance, they are also additionally varnished. For the design of the toilet and the bathroom, both matte and glossy plates with a frieze are excellent. They do not fade and do not lose their properties under the negative influence of detergents and humidity.
To get a refined interior in the bathroom, it is recommended to choose seamless lamellas, the pattern of which is applied using a thermal transfer film. Images of various subjects are superimposed on the panel with a special rotating cylinder at high temperature, after which they are covered with a protective layer. Unusual patterns and landscapes made by artists will become a real decoration of the room. Ceiling panels with color drawings look especially interesting in this design.
If the style of the room provides for more natural and restrained notes, offset PVC is the right choice, the compositions in this case are applied to the surface of the products using ink from the printer. Imitation “imitation under a tree”, “threads” and “panda” is very popular. Such a finish looks no less attractive under natural stone. Laminated material, which is externally difficult to distinguish from the texture of fabrics, also deserves special attention.
Since absolutely any image can be applied to the surface of plastic, recently in modern design both photo printing, geometric ornaments, and images for brickwork or tile are widely used. There are also products with a reflective film that have a mirror effect and visually increase the space. But their cost is high, so many homeowners choose perforated sheets with a relief pattern that has an extruded surface.
To make the bathroom interior beautiful, you need not only to choose the right color, but also the texture of the finish. For small rooms, you can not use decoration with voluminous compositions, it is best to give preference to restrained monophonic colors. If the area of the room allows, then you can show maximum imagination and create an unusual style, filling the space with bright colors and patterns.
Criterias of choice
The crucial moment in the design of the bathroom is the acquisition of material, on which not only the strength and durability of the finish will depend, but also the interior of the room.
Before choosing panels, it is necessary to consider the following points:
- In order for the cladding to last reliably for many years, it is best to buy panels that have several jumpers. The more stiffening ribs, the more reliable the product. Do not use material with deformed locks and jumpers.
- The appearance of the panels plays a huge role. If they are high-quality, then they are characterized by a clear picture and uniform color. In addition, you should make sure that when docking the elements, the image will be perfect. Offset is not allowed. It should also not be on the surface of the plastic waves and other flaws.
- No less important is the quality of the castle systems. When fixing between panels, gaps are not allowed.
- In the event that the material does not correspond to the dimensions specified by the manufacturer, it is worth considering the possibility of making a purchase, since in the future you may encounter other problems during installation.
- For the shower, you need to purchase panels with increased moisture resistance, as they are most susceptible to water and fumes.
To ensure safe operation of the finish for health, it is recommended to purchase products that have the appropriate certificates. Even the highest quality plastic materials can emit toxic fumes, so you need to stop the choice at well-known and trusted manufacturers and not save, as this is fraught with the appearance of various diseases.
Installing PVC in the bathroom is not difficult, so it is quite possible to do it yourself, without the help of specialists. Since the products are equipped with special compounds, their installation is easily carried out on a crate or attached to surfaces with glue. In this case, in the first case, you only have to make the frame, and in the second, carefully prepare the base. First of all, it is necessary to sheathe the ceiling, and then the walls. Thanks to this technique, the process of decorating corners and joints will be simplified.
Before facing surfaces, you should first make false panels for counters, which will provide constant access to them without dismantling the finish. It is also necessary to provide for the installation in the room of special heat reflectors for the dryer and radiator. If this is not done, then the heat will directly enter the panels and the plastic will quickly lose its original appearance: it will bend and turn yellow. In addition, it is important to consider the availability of outlets. A convenient place is selected for them and holes are cut in advance in the casing. This also applies to ceiling cladding. On its surface, attachment lines for fixtures are applied.
Preparation and accessories
Pvc sheathing is recommended to be performed in rooms with a temperature regime of above 20 degrees. Prior to this, vinyl panels and their guides are left in the room for several days to acclimatize the material. Then measurements are made and markings are applied for all fastening systems and holes that will protrude beyond the boundaries of the ceiling and walls. It can be built-in windows, cabinets, doorways and ventilation grilles. In addition, for pendant equipment, it is necessary to additionally manufacture fasteners.
After the issue has been resolved with the layout and design choice, the preparation of the surface itself for decoration begins. The walls and ceiling are thoroughly cleaned from previous cladding, dust and dirt. It is also important to check that there is no mold or mildew on the base. If there are any, then they are treated with antifungal and bactericidal agents. As for the surface plaster, it is optional.
For the installation of panels should also take care of the availability of all the necessary tools and accessories. This is usually a standard set consisting of a level, a hacksaw, self-tapping screws and an electric drill. Depending on the installation method, additionally wooden bars, metal profiles, staples, fixing clips or glue are required.