Than Saw Tiles For Bath
Ceramic border for the bathroom provides reliable protection of joints from water leakage. With it, the joint between the bathroom and the walls is blocked. In addition, the installation of the border smooths the transition from the tile on the walls to the bath, making the design of the room more pleasant and neat.
Compared with plastic skirting boards, ceramic ones have more positive qualities:
- Environmentally friendly and safe, with increasing temperature do not emit hazardous compounds;
- Resistant to many chemicals, including solvents, detergents and cleaning powders;
- Durable, wear-resistant and non-combustible;
- Easily tolerate temperature changes without changing the size and shape;
- They do not absorb water, as they have a low coefficient of water absorption, thanks to a special coating (enamel, glaze).
Unlike plastic borders, ceramic can last more than 15 years. Plastic skirting boards are enough for no more than 1-2 years, depending on their quality. Ceramic borders do not change color throughout the entire life cycle and are not afraid of high temperatures. They can be cleaned with hard sponges.
A variety of ceramic borders for the bathroom in different colors
The main disadvantage of ceramic skirting boards is fragility. If a heavy object falls on the curb, it may crack or become cracked.
Types and sizes
There are several types of ceramic skirting boards for the bath:
The pencil is a thin ceramic strip of cylindrical shape on the outside. It is used to close very small gaps or only as a decorative element. For example, they divide a room into zones with a pencil or surround them with a single element. A large number of various colors of this border are produced. The length most often is 20 cm, and the width is not more than 1.5 cm.
The corner ceramic skirting has a triangular section. It fits snugly against the wall of the room and the bath. This type is most often used to close joints. Plain, multi-colored, flat or voluminous skirting boards are available.
Length 20-25 cm, width 3.5-5.5 cm. Some manufacturers produce skirting boards with pre-beveled edges. for easy installation at the corners. In other versions, borders are equipped with small corner elements. asterisks, or they need to be purchased separately. There are also stubs that cover the edges of the skirting boards.
Видео: Than Saw Tiles For Bath
The frieze is a ceramic border whose width is equal to a standard tile. Plinths of different colors are produced, corrugated, including those decorated with patterns or drawings.
How to calculate the right amount and how to cut
To find out the required number of ceramic borders, you should measure all the sides that you plan to trim them. After calculating the perimeter (adding the lengths of all sides), it must be divided by the length of one skirting board. The result is rounded up.
You can cut the desired length or angle using an angle grinder with a diamond blade or pliers. A slice is made on the back of the baseboard. When using the first option, the cut will turn out to be even and smooth, and it will practically not need to be overwritten with sandpaper or a grinding machine.
Pliers gently nibble in small pieces. Then align the edge. When working with this tool, extreme care must be taken not to damage the entire baseboard.
How to make a corner
To finish the corner zone, you need two borders with one side cut off. To make an angle on the baseboard, an even cut is made from it at an angle of 45 ° using an angle grinder with a diamond disk. After which it is rubbed with a grinding machine or sandpaper. Finished corners are also sold.
How to fix and what to glue
Step-by-step instructions for installing ceramic borders under a tile:
- Walls and bathtub are cleaned of dirt, degreased and wiped;
- Marking is made, on which ceramic borders will be laid;
- After everything is dry, silicone sealant is put into the joint with a gun. With a spatula, align it and close up the remaining small cracks;
- For gluing ceramic borders, glue is used that is resistant to mold and fungi. It should be bred according to the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Laying ceramic skirting boards starts from the corner. They are driven as close to each other as possible so that the joint is minimal. The glue is applied to the back of the curb with a spatula. After installation, the protruding solution is immediately removed;
- To curbs sit denser to the wall and to each other, they are gently tapped with a rubber mallet;
- Between the skirting boards put the same plastic cross, which will be used when laying tiles;
- After installing the tiles and borders, all seams are overwritten with the same solution.
Installation instructions for ceramic borders on tiles:
- The wall and bath are cleaned and degreased;
- Once everything is dry, the joint between the wall and the bathroom is sealed with silicone;
- It is recommended to fix borders on tiles using liquid nails. Apply adhesive to the back of the baseboard, then press it firmly against the wall;
- End caps are installed on the edges;
- After mounting the borders, the joints are treated with transparent silicone sealant.
Can I glue on an acrylic bath
You can install ceramic borders on any bathtubs, including acrylic. For installation, you need to use silicone sealant (aquarium), but in no case grout, as it will crack.
Acrylic bathtub with ceramic border
How much is
Prices for ceramic borders from different manufacturers: