The better to cut a plaster wall
When sawing aerated concrete blocks, they try to give them a flat surface, but this does not always work out. A plane will be able to cope with this task, which will level the surface of aerated concrete and make it perfectly smooth. The plane consists of a wooden base with embedded fine teeth, which are located at an angle.
The basics of processing aerated concrete blocks with saws
Craftsmen who have more experience with construction electrical equipment and fixtures, as well as the need to work with them more often, prefer to cut aerated concrete bricks with an electric reciprocating saw or alligator saw, rather than a hand tool. But with a one-time use of aerated concrete (for example, when building a farm building, a garage or a country house. after all, you don’t need several of them in one area), a hand saw for aerated concrete will be more economical and reliable.
- An electric reciprocating saw for aerated concrete is a powerful jigsaw that gives the cutting blade in the form of a saber a horizontal reciprocating motion. There are saws with two blades, many models are battery operated. Reciprocating saw blades are sold with different tooth sizes and shapes.
- The alligator saw works on the principle of a crankshaft. the rotation of the rotor of the electric motor turns into a reciprocating motion of two cutting blades. The blade-blades move in opposite directions to each other, but in a horizontal plane, so the cut edge always turns out to be clean and even. The price of such a power tool is much higher than that of a reciprocating saw, and an alligator saw will justify itself only with constant use, that is, in professional construction. Therefore, before such a highly specialized purchase, think about where this tool will work after construction is completed.
- A carbide-tipped hand saw on the teeth lasts much longer than a conventional hand saw, which has to be sharpened after a few cuts. You can build a house on victorious solders without replacing the saw, and it will serve further. When choosing such a tool, it is recommended to pay attention to the thickness of the blade. a thin saw will be taken to the side, the cut will turn out to be uneven and inclined. Thick blade saw for precise, neat and even cuts.
Therefore, when choosing what to cut aerated concrete, pay attention to the accuracy and reliability of the tool, and not to its price: many people think that an expensive power tool is the key to successful construction, but this is not always the case. Try to cut the foam block first with a regular hand saw, and only if the results are unsatisfactory, buy more expensive aerated concrete saws.
There are advantages to using a chain saw to cut aerated concrete, but there are more disadvantages. Yes, it cuts fast, it helps to cut U-shapes, it is convenient for cutting at an angle. But in the process of cutting, the chain saw quickly becomes blunt, you need a chain with victorious solders, which is much more expensive than usual. In addition, the chain heats up in the process, the tool needs a break.
It turns out that a chain saw is more convenient to use than a saber saw, but it becomes unusable faster, replacing the chain will lead to additional costs.
Significant disadvantages of a saw for aerated concrete
When working with blocks, the chain dulls rather quickly, since the tool for its intended purpose should be used to cut wood.
Therefore, I immediately recommend purchasing a chain with victorious solders. It is several times more expensive than a regular chain. But its sharpening still cannot be avoided.
When cutting several blocks in a row, the chain is heated strongly and it stretches. One link has to be removed to return the chain to its original dimensions. Therefore, I highly recommend giving the instrument a rest.
When working in a harsh environment, the sprocket teeth of a power tool quickly grind and become unusable. Replacing the sprocket is an inexpensive procedure. But this is a waste of time for contacting the service center and waiting for the receipt of the necessary spare part.
The electric motor of the chain saw does not tolerate dust, which is formed in large quantities when cutting gas silicate blocks. As a result, the tool breaks down and cannot be restored.
Since a gasoline analogue of a chainsaw is much more expensive than an electric counterpart, its use is impractical for financial reasons.
The catch lies in the fact that the resource of the tool for working in critical conditions can only be enough for the construction of one and one and a half floors of a country house. Then you will have to buy a second similar tool, or continue cutting the blocks with a hand hacksaw.
The chain saw is more convenient and slightly more productive in work than the reciprocating saw. But it is not designed for heavy duty use. It should be understood that the tool will quickly become unusable.
Equipment for cutting gas blocks
Aerated concrete is a popular material in the construction world. Buildings and structures made of aerated concrete products are warm, fire-resistant and environmentally friendly. The material is not expensive, has high strength and is easy to cut. Aerated concrete blocks are made from a mixture of cement, sand, water and aluminum shavings. Then the stirred solution is poured into containers and left to dry for several hours. Block shapes are ready to use. When pouring the solution into large containers, slabs of the appropriate size are obtained, which are subsequently cut.
How to cut an aerated concrete block?
Saw “Alligator” is often perceived by ignorant people as a kind of saber modification, but they have differences.
In the process of work, the “Alligator” sets in motion the saw blade.
Their movement is the same as the movement of the jaws of a crocodile.
Unlike the saber counterpart, this saw blade does not reciprocate, the cut is carried out using the saw bar, which is fixed.
Best Way To Cut A Hole In Plaster!
Alligator saw advantages
- With its powerful motor, the Alligator is best suited for cutting aerated concrete blocks.
- The movement of the canvases in the opposite way gives stability to the block.
- Knife brake and switch interlock provided.
- Dust protection and aluminum housing for durability and reliability.
- Ease of use.
- Easy replacement of consumables.
The package includes a hexagon and several canvases on aerated concrete.
Best way to cut plaster clean, and not with an angle grinder!
The only disadvantage of this tool is its high cost. The purchase of the “Alligator” is justified only in the case of professional use as a permanent equipment for the construction of aerated concrete walls.
The alligator is the best, but very expensive tool. Its purchase is recommended for professional builders who are building more than one aerated concrete house. For a private developer, it is better to choose the less expensive solutions described above.
Tips for choosing tools for working with aerated concrete
The advice of folk craftsmen on the choice of a particular instrument will be useful to you:
- For cutting aerated concrete, it is better not to use a hand saw. For these purposes, an alligator saw with a blade with victorious tints is more suitable. This will save you time and energy.
- Some people think that the process of sawing blocks is greatly facilitated by a reciprocating saw.
- A sander can be used to align blocks in a row. However, it is worth providing protection against dust.
- For even and quick application of glue, you can make such a device (see photo below). It will work for vertical seams too.
- It is more convenient to lift gas blocks using a homemade tool. a diamond grip (pictured below).
Specificity of GVL
Gypsum fiber sheet, like gypsum plasterboard, is made on the basis of stucco. But the similarity of these materials is limited to this. Unlike drywall, GVL has the following characteristics:
- Salty homogeneity of the inner mass;
- Lack of outer cover made of thick paper;
- Availability of cellulose fiber reinforcement;
- High degree of strength;
- Zero flammability;
- Withstand humidity up to 70%.
With all the strength characteristics, the material practically does not bend and is rather brittle to break. With the wrong tool, you can simply crush the slab. That is why a special tool is required to cut it.
Tools for working with GVL
You can cut GVL with the following tools:
- A hard construction knife. while the blades will have to be constantly changed, as they quickly deteriorate;
- Hacksaw for work on GVL. teeth of a special shape on the blade are located at a specific angle. This is done so that the material does not get dusty and does not crumble when cutting;
- An angle grinder (angle grinder) is the fastest way to cut GVL, but the dust will be a pillar. Work should be done with glasses and a respirator;
- Electric jigsaw. it is better to use a model with a built-in dust collector. Use a canvas for wood with a pitch of 4mm.
How to cut gvlv knauf. Features of gypsum fiber sheets
Advantages of GVL
To answer our question, you need to figure out what this material is. Like drywall, they are made from gypsum. But that’s where the similarities end. The main features of GVL are:
- Reinforcement with loose cellulose.
- Complete material homogeneity.
- Lack of top cover.
- High density.
Many manufacturers are engaged in the release of this building material, but the most popular is the GVL manufactured by the Knauf company under the name Superlist. If we continue to compare gypsum fiber with drywall of the same company, we can see that they perfectly complement each other. And the use of these materials in finishing work will simultaneously only benefit the repair.
Despite the fact that any box can be made from gypsum plasterboard, and the walls will be strong and non-combustible, nevertheless this material cannot be bent like drywall. This means that it will not work for the installation of complex structures with rounded shapes.
But on the floor, in dry screeds with expanded clay (KNAUF-superpol technology), gypsum fiber sheets are unmatched. Using them in the construction of a subfloor will give guaranteed positive results. Floor elements glued from two sheets with a total thickness of 20 mm have the following useful properties:
- They don’t break.
- Do not let the cold pass.
- Creates a perfectly flat surface.
- Moisture resistant gypsum fiber boards withstand moisture up to 70%.
How to cut knauf superpol. How to cut GVL: how to cut sheets at home
For finishing work, gypsum fiber sheet, or gypsum fiber board is often used. This material was created much later than drywall, so it did not gain such wide popularity as gypsum plasterboard. However, due to the special composition, these boards have outstanding strength and fire-fighting characteristics with indicators much higher than that of drywall. Therefore, GVL is indispensable for the installation of bulk floors, rough finishing of walls and ceilings, as well as for the construction of all kinds of boxes. The only question that arises when working with this building material is how to cut GVL from “Knauf”.
Grouting GVL. Do I need to putty drywall?
Nobody wants to do extra work. In addition, putty is a long and difficult process that takes a lot of time. The question arises reasonably. why putty the flat surface of drywall sheets. Maybe you can do without it when finishing? With some types of finishes it is possible, but not with all.
It is always necessary to close up sheet joints, corners and screw caps. For any type of finish. Be sure to putty the gypsum board for painting. The surface of the drywall is far from ideal, and new irregularities are added during transportation and installation. If you paint the surface without prior leveling, they will all be clearly visible, especially if there is at least a small degree of gloss.
Preparing drywall for wallpapering. you can only putty the seams, then prime the surface
The Knauf company. one of the leaders in the production of drywall. allows the entire surface of the sheets not to be putty under the tiles and wallpaper. Only joints, corners and screws. Nobody puts putty under the laying of tiles, but under the wallpaper. yes. And all because the wallpaper pasted without preliminary processing in places comes off along with the cardboard and sometimes up to gypsum. So the second time putty is just inevitable.
You can do without putting putty on the entire surface of the sheet using a primer. In this case, water-dispersion acrylic paint diluted with water serves as the primer. It creates a film on the surface with which the glue interacts well, but also this film does not damage the cardboard when tearing off the wallpaper.
It is necessary to putty for painting, drywall completely, and to perfect condition
So, it is completely necessary to putty drywall for painting, preferably. for pasting wallpaper (at least in one layer) and seal only self-tapping screws and seams for tiles.
Gypsum fiber cutting process
With any method of cutting, remember to be careful and careful when handling gypsum fiber boards. If it is decided to use cutters or a special hacksaw for work, then you need to proceed as follows:
- On the GVL sheet we make the necessary markup.
- We apply a flat rail to the mowing line of the marking. You can also use the rule.
- We carry out with a knife as many times as necessary so that the depth of the cut is at least 2/3 of the sheet thickness.
- We put the rail under the line of the notch.
- With a sharp upward movement, gently break.
Before cutting, it is better to look additionally
GVL has straight edge edges and usually does not have problems with joining. But if for a number of reasons there is a need for a small adjustment, then a roughing plane is suitable for this purpose.
But the seam is most convenient to do with a boot knife-cutter or chisel. With a large volume, you can use a router. A groove cutter of 3-4 mm will allow you to perform the necessary work in 2-3 passes.