The Better To Cut The Plastic Skirting Board
How and what to cut a plinth
Choosing how and what to cut a plastic plinth, they prefer a familiar and fairly easy-to-use tool.
Choosing the right tool
Completing the repair and finishing work in the room, each specialist asks the question “how to cut a plastic skirting board.” The answer depends on how important the quality of the resulting edge is.
If the quality of the edge is not very important, but the speed of work is important, then many builders and finishers use an angle grinder.
The thickness of its disc is such that the cut line will be quite wide, but the edges will not always be able to please the owner with their quality. However, with this tool, you can perform a fairly large amount of work in a short time.
Angle grinder will leave a smooth edge
You can even cut the plinth with metal scissors if there is no other tool at hand. Such manipulation cannot be called convenient, but if necessary, the master will easily cope with the task at hand.
In any case, the cutting tool must meet certain requirements, including:
How and what to cut the plinth
When choosing how to cut a plastic skirting board, they prefer a familiar and fairly easy-to-use tool. This is a hacksaw familiar to all craftsmen.
However, this is not enough, since it is required not only to accurately make a straight cut, but also to accurately and correctly cut the corners.
For the high-quality performance of this operation, you will need such a device as a carpenter’s miter box. It is with its help that you can cut an angle of 45 or 90ͦ. Of course, you can use an angle grinder, but in this case the cutting line will be quite wide, which is not always convenient.
Alternative to standard views
After the PVC skirting board is cut, there should be no chips at the edges. A properly chosen tool that will have to cut the skirting board does not cause cracks or significant irregularities at the edges of the edge.
The electric jigsaw is no less popular with builders, but it can only be used when working with panels. Skirting boards, which feature fairly thin walls, cannot be cut qualitatively with such a device.
The safest and most effective after a hacksaw for metal is the usual assembly (wallpaper) knife.
Cutting thin-walled skirting boards that are attached to the floor with this tool is quite quick and easy.
Pvc floor skirting boards equipped with a cable duct are easiest to cut using a conventional hand jigsaw. It will allow you to make a clear cut, keep the edges of the edge intact and prevent the plank from cracking.
The installation of the skirting board starts from the far inner corner. If the length of the wall is long, then you will have to use a connecting plug, and then cut the plinth strip, not reaching 1.5 cm to the edge of the wall or 0.5 cm to the next corner. Regardless of the number of corners and joints, cutting is carried out strictly in a straight line, which greatly facilitates the work. For a detailed manual on cutting and joining skirting boards, see this:
How and how to properly cut a plastic baseboard
Miter box cutting
Geometric shapes are very important for proper trimming. Compliance with this condition is necessary in order to form an ideal assembly seam in the middle of the panels. When carrying out this procedure “by eye”, the result will not be able to console with a high-quality look due to the inconsistency of the sides to each other. This is of the most fundamental importance during the formation of the inner and outer corners. Therefore, a perfect cut is obtained using a miter box that can measure angles of 45 degrees.
Cutting using a miter box is done in this way:
- The central recess in the tool is used to fix the skirting board in it. The panel material is applied to the surface with the draft side. If you do the opposite, you may damage the face. The diagonal slots are guides.
- The desired angle is the next step in the selection. It is necessary to monitor the position of the edges of the panels. They must not protrude beyond the diagonal slot. This is the only way to get a cut of excellent quality. With a large depth of the miter box, which is very different from the dimensions of this skirting board, it is necessary to uniformly press the panel to any groove side. Only then can the cutting process be performed. The angle must remain constant. If this is not observed, then at the end of the actions done we will get figures of different shapes. Due to the elastic structure of PVC, excessive pressure on the skirting board will spoil the cut quality. The cutting rate should not go beyond moderate because of the risk of overheating and deformation of the boundaries.
- Due to the sawing work on one side, you should start forming the other. You need to act according to the same instructions, only using a mirror image of the corner. To display the angle of the cut in reverse, place the material in the opposite cut.
Choosing the right tool
How to trim the material? This question is maturing for almost any novice builder. The selected cutting tool will affect the evenness of the cut edge. Pvc skirting boards contain a hollow-filled structure, so the use of tools containing large teeth or a wide wave is not encouraged due to the high risk of chipping and numerous irregularities.
For a plinth cut, it is better to use a hacksaw for metal. Its structure is characterized by sharp, rather fine teeth and an acceptable working width. The use of a hacksaw only applies to panels. Thin-walled skirting will become uneven due to the influence of the teeth.
The hand-held jigsaw is the best tool for cutting ceiling plank corners.
Any plastic product will be cut absolutely straight. But, the jigsaw has a drawback. Its small size. This will greatly affect the speed of repair work due to the large number of canvases. Abrasive files should not be used while working with a jigsaw, as the first tool will significantly complicate the whole procedure.
Thin-walled skirting boards are best cut with a regular utility knife with a hardened blade. Obtaining a clear and even cut will occur only if you have a lot of experience with the tool and material of this type, so beginners will have a rather difficult time.
How to cut a plastic skirting board?
- How to cut off a plastic skirting board?
- How to cut a plastic skirting board for internal corners?
- How and with what to cut a plastic floor skirting board at non-standard angles?
Every apartment has a skirting board. Thanks to this inherent attribute, the final design of the room takes place and gives it a neat look. Skirting boards can be made of different materials, but plastic is especially popular at the moment. It is lightweight and easy to install, but you need to know some subtleties to properly cut and install it. So, for example, many are wondering how to cut a plastic baseboard. In our article, you will learn about the advantages of a plastic strip, about cutting methods, and also get acquainted with step-by-step instructions that will help you do the job quickly and efficiently.
The better to cut the plastic skirting board
- Removing spots
- Gadgets Electronics
- Washing secrets
- Tips for the hostess
- Construction and repair
- House cleaning
- Wardrobe care
- External battery for phone. How to choose?
- Updating your favorite shoes or how to dye your sneakers?
- How to remove the creak of a wooden floor in an apartment?
- How to clean the microwave from the burning smell?
- How to clean the inside of the microwave from fat?
- How to remove oil from clothes
- Fasteners for the toilet to the floor
- Stretch ceiling care
- How to clean your carpet at home quickly and efficiently?
- How to cover the seams between the tiles in the bathroom?
How to cut off a plastic skirting board?
What tool should be used to cut the material to obtain a beautiful and correct angle for mounting the plastic strip? This question arises from almost everyone who has started repairs in an apartment. The chosen construction tool will undoubtedly affect the evenness of the edge and cut of the product. That is why the issue must be approached with special responsibility and the desire to follow all the recommendations of experienced specialists.
How to cut a PVC skirting board:
- Hacksaw for metal. This tool is only suitable for cutting thin skirting boards. This is due to the fact that a hacksaw for metal has, albeit small, but uneven teeth, which can give an uneven shape to the product.
- Manual jigsaw. It is considered one of the best tools for cutting corners of floor and ceiling fillets. The jigsaw will cut the material as smoothly as possible while observing the correct angle by the performer.
- Stationery knife. Only suitable for cutting thin skirting boards. To get a thin and even cut is possible only with a great experience of the performer with this type of instrument. A beginner will have to spend a lot of time to get the desired result.
- Metal scissors. Such a tool can be used with a plastic skirting board, but the material can be crumpled under strong blade pressure.
- Cutting the bar with a miter box. This fixture has been specially made to properly cut the plastic skirting board. The miter box is a small block with notches for a skirting board with different angular clearances for the selected cutting tool. It is with the help of the miter box that you are guaranteed to get even and neat cuts. The bar is fixed inside the device, then the angle and the correct direction of the cut are selected.
- Stencil cutting. This method is advisable to use for cutting skirting boards for irregularly shaped corners that are less than or more than 90 degrees. It is easy to make such stencils of the required angular value yourself from paper or cardboard. First, strips equal to the width of the skirting board are cut from the selected material. Then they are applied to the corner of the room and fixed, and then they are cut to the shape of the same corner. These stencils are used to cut the plastic strip itself.
Important! When working with the miter box, you should make sure that the fillet edges protrude slightly beyond the edges of the slot. If the tool for cutting the plinth is wider than the plinth itself, then in this case it will be correct to fix the part well inside the miter box. Otherwise, the bar can move inside the tool, and the cut angle will constantly change, which will lead to uneven edges of the product.
Miter box cutting
Correct trimming involves adherence to strict frameworks of geometric shapes. This condition is imperative to ensure a good joint between, for example, PVC panels and to hide the cuts. If you carry out this procedure “by eye”, then the results are unlikely to please with their quality, since one side will not respond to the other. This is especially important when shaping the outer and inner corners, so a miter box is used to obtain a perfectly even cut, which allows you to adjust angles of forty-five degrees.The tool has the form of a panel in the form of a letter “P”, on which there are cut-out grooves, the location of which corresponds to the selected cut angle.
Each panel should have a cut angle of forty-five degrees so that when joined together, an ideal angle of two planes in the room is obtained, equal to ninety degrees.
Step-by-step instructions for cutting with a miter box:
1. The tray in the center of the miter box is used to fix the plinth in it. The panel must be applied to the device with a rough surface, since if you put it the other way around, then the cut can damage the front part. The aforementioned diagonal slots are positioned so that they act as guides for the cutting part.
2. Next comes the stage of choosing the angle you need. It is worth making sure that the edges of the panel do not go beyond the edges of the guide openings. Only in this case you can get a high-quality cut. If the width of the skirting board used is narrower than the tray in the miter box, you will have to evenly press the panel against one of the sides of the groove and only in this position to cut. The panel can be placed in the tray at any angle, since the figures are not identical to each other later. Pvc has a rather elastic structure, which is why it is better not to press on the plinth during cutting, as the cut will be uneven. You can also not speed up the cutting process yourself, as this will lead to overheating of the edges and their deformation.
3. After cutting one side of the corner, you can proceed to the other, but with only one difference. The second corner will be the mirror opposite of the first. To make a straight cut, there is a perpendicular cut on the miter box, which allows you to cut strictly vertically.
Choosing the right tool
The first and quite logical question that arises from every person who plans to install a plinth is why cut it off? It depends on the tool you choose how smooth the cutting edge will be. The fact is that PVC products have a hollow structure, which is why the use of tools with large teeth or a wide wave for cutting them is highly discouraged, since everything can end with chips and numerous irregularities.
I recommend the best option. Hacksaw for metal. Her teeth are quite small, and the width of the divorce is just acceptable for working with PVC. But here it can only be used for panels, since thin-walled skirting boards cannot withstand the effects of teeth, and the cut becomes uneven as a result.If you need to cut corners on the ceiling plinth, then this can be done without much difficulty using hand jigsaw. The resulting cut will be ideally equal, no matter what kind of plastic product we are talking about.
Naturally, this tool also has a minus. Small dimensions, which is why working with large canvases of material will take a long time. I would like to draw your attention to the fact that when working with a jigsaw, it is highly discouraged to use circular saws with an abrasive, as they will only complicate the whole process.When it comes to a thin-walled skirting board, then it can even be cut with ordinary stationery knife with a reinforced blade. Naturally, this option also has its drawbacks. For example, a clear and even cut can be made only if you have some experience with such tools and materials.
What to mount
As a rule, PVC skirting boards are attached with screws, self-tapping screws or nails. It depends on whether it is possible to hammer a nail into the wall on which the product will be mounted. But, even in this case, screws that are screwed into pre-installed dowels are more convenient.
It is optimal to fasten such products to the bearing profile or to the ceiling lathing.
But the fastening method differs not only by the fasteners themselves, but also by the way where these fasteners will be screwed.
If the walls are flat enough, then you can screw the PVC ceiling skirting board directly to the walls, into the pre-hammered dowels. Or nail it down.
But the walls, as a rule, are not ideal, therefore it is better to mount the product to the crate or to the bearing profile. To do this, you need self-tapping screws with a wide enough head.
When mounted to the supporting profile, the screw is screwed into the fastening groove, and after mounting the panel will not be visible.
After such installation, small gaps may remain between the wall and the part. They are lubricated with a sealant or putty, depending on the room in which such a fillet is used.
Another way of installation is to simply fix it by “sliding” the fastening groove onto the edges of the panels. After installation, you can grease the resulting cracks with a conventional sealant. In this case, for reliability, you can glue it to the wall with the same sealant.
Before installing the plastic skirting board, it is a good idea to calculate the number of screws or screws you will need. For such calculations, there is a standard rule: for every 50 centimeters, you need to tighten one screw. Based on the length of the part, the required amount of fasteners is calculated.
What is a plastic skirting board and when is it used?
It would seem, why, with the abundance of various types of decor made of polyurethane and polystyrene, also use a plastic baseboard? However, there was a place for such a decor.
Its main area of application is the design of plastic ceilings. This is what it is intended for in the first place. Such ceilings are very popular when decorating rooms with high humidity. But when assembling them, either a small gap between the wall and the ceiling covering, or just a not too neat joint, inevitably remains. This is where you need a plastic fillet. This element will hide all defects, and in some cases can serve as a fastener.
This type of decor has its own, inherent only to them, advantages, disadvantages and features of use.
The disadvantages are as follows:
- During installation, all the unevenness of the walls will become visible, due to the fact that, unlike other types of similar decor, this one is very difficult to bend
- The width of such decorative elements is very small. For example, foam. Much wider
- The process of installing the ceiling, using only these parts to fix it, will be quite complicated. The last part is very difficult to fit into place. This does not apply to split types of fillets.
But, there are advantages over the usual types of such decor:
- Plastic is easy to clean
- Unlike Styrofoam, it does not turn yellow over time
- With a plastic ceiling, it will form a more complete picture than other types of finishes
- It cannot be repainted
The rest of the features are not that important. Unless they are installed mainly on screws, screws or nails. The glue may not hold.