The cutter for installing locks in the door
Cutters for mortise door lock what diameter. Screwing the lock into the door
The choice is made taking into account the basic recommendations. The lock mortising cutters for interior doors are chosen with the following points in mind:
- Device power. A manual router for a door mortise is characterized by its power. For simple works, medium-powered versions are suitable. It is worth considering that more powerful devices are designed for professional service. This significantly expands the area of application, but the performance remains practically unchanged. It is also necessary to remember that a high power cutter for mortise locks will weigh more and cost a lot more, but it will last much longer because of the elimination of overheating probability.
- Variable speed of rotation. Slot cutters for hinges and other fittings can rotate the nozzle at different speeds. High machining quality is achieved by selecting the most suitable device variant. Of the manual versions, it is recommended to give preference to those that have a regulator with protection against external influences. Also more popular are models with a stepless principle of switching work modes.
- Working part protrusion above the end face. When choosing a router for installing hinges, you need to pay attention to the real reach of the router, because it depends on the scope of its application. The large index allows the use of special nozzles for obtaining notches.
- The quality of processing the working area is determined not only by the design features of the device, but also by the presence of backlighting. Such an insignificant design element allows milling in a variety of conditions.
- Ease of use. While considering which one to choose for mortise door hinges, you should first of all pay attention to the placement of the main control elements. The handle should be rubberized, because otherwise the hinge cutter could slip during the operation.
- Delivery set. in recent years, you can find just a huge number of different versions of the tool, on a complete set depends functionality and scope of application. The use of different nozzles allows the installation of special work tips. There are also models with different holders.
- It is important to note that the diameter of the attachment used can be varied within a wide range. It is advisable to focus on models that allow the attachment of a wide range of nozzle diameters.
Besides, the popularity of the brand can be called a main parameter to choose from. Products from reputable manufacturers can last for a long period of time. The advertised parameters are realistic and the product is highly functional. At the time of reviewing a particular model, you not only need to take it in your hands, but also turn it on to test its performance.
routers for woodwork without seals
There are also routers on the modern construction and repair tools market that allow you to work with wooden windows or doors that originally did not have a seal, but need it.
These models, thanks to their special design that includes a side stop and removable guide rails, make it easy to select grooves for the seal, even on already installed windows and doors.
For installing locks in doors, a vertical router is used. The tool will accurately and with extreme accuracy drill the necessary size, which will allow you to maximally tighten the installation of the locking device in the interior doors and not only. The tool can easily make grooves for self-tapping screws, which are needed when attaching a lock.
Cutters for mortise lock milling machines are special attachments used in the work of the tool. Depending on the type of work performed, the desired cutter is selected.
What cutters to use for installing hinges
The same large router can also be used for loop installation. But, as a rule, groove cutters with a smaller cutting edge on the face and sides than those for the lock are used for this purpose.
A special hinge cutter looks like this
It has a shorter shank than a lock cutter and a wide cutting part.
Professionals who have to work on dozens of doors every day use not only a separate cutter for hinges, but also a second light router. It is used to set the necessary depth to the thickness of the buttonhole once, and it is not necessary to change the setting every time under the lock and back under the buttonholes. It speeds up the work.
The speed and quality of installation of interior doors depend on the quality of the consumables used. Materials are prepared in advance. It is better to buy in specialized stores. For installation, you will need the following:
They will be needed for installation of the frame, hinges, architraves and trimmers. All kinds of fasteners should be in abundance, so they are purchased in boxes.
- Assembling foam. Needed for blowing the gaps between the box and the wall. In addition, the foam will increase sound and heat insulation, as well as the adhesion of the frame with the wall, so its quality must be guaranteed high.
- Putty. The mixture will be needed for sealing and grouting joints and irregularities.
It is necessary to buy from proven suppliers, because of its quality depends on the durability of the protective layer on the foamed areas.
- Serpentine. If the gaps are too wide, you can not do without it. It is often necessary to plaster surfaces with complex topography. In such cases, corrugated tape can achieve the necessary strength.
- Metal corner. Used when you want to bring the even corners on the slopes.
- Gypsum board. It will be necessary for the design of the planes of slopes.
- Wooden wedges. To fix the frame in the opening, you need to have a dozen and a half small wedges. They are made of any wooden slat.
- Spacers. To keep the frame in proper alignment until the foam is completely dry, spacers must be placed inside.
- Liquid nails. Fixing of trims and soffits is often done with glue.
But that’s not all. To design the opening, you’ll need:
What cutters to use
To mortise the lock into the interior door, groove end mills with a cutting edge on the sides and end are used.
There is a specialty. cutters designed specifically for this operation. They meet the requirements for depth and width of recess, the blades are made of hard alloys (type BK8), which are equally good at selecting grooves in wood of any hardness, wood-fiber board, plastics and composite materials, cut through laminate well.
Such cutters are available in different sizes. Average values:
- The height of the cutting blades is 30 mm;
- The diameter of the working part of the cutter is 12 mm;
- total length of the mill is 120 mm;
- shank in three variants. 8 mm, 10 mm and 12 mm.
With a router advance of 70 mm, a lock groove with a depth of approx. 90 mm can be routed with this router.
Their cost varies around 1500 plus/minus 300-500 But there are examples with a cost of only 150-500 and over 3000
The leafs of many modern doors made of wood-fiber board, bars (not solid wood) may have a small thickness of the side bar, into which the lock is cut. For example 50 mm, beyond which the void begins. Long large slot cutters with a great drilling depth are not absolutely necessary for such doors.
Mortise locks in interior doors: necessary tools and their purpose
The choice of tools needed to cut the lock on the interior door depends primarily on the technology by which the process will be carried out. There are two of them. one professional, which involves the use of high-precision modern power tools, and the second, we can say, artisanal, carried out by means of a hammer and chisel. To choose which of them you will stick, of course, to you. I say only one thing. in the latter case the result can be disappointing. On the average, if we speak about the tool for mortise locks you will need the following set.
- Manual plunge cutter is the kind of tool used by professionals to obtain high precision and quality of drilling the indentations for the lock plates. Thanks to the high rotation speed of the mill, it allows you to cut holes for the lock without damaging the decorative surface of the door.
- Hammer. And how it is without it? Most likely it will be needed to work in tandem with a chisel in the artisanal method of tapping. But it may also be useful in a professional approach.
- Chisels of different width. With their help it is necessary to cut a landing hole under the lock plate. This tool is rather clumsy, and the result of the work with it depends in a greater degree on the master’s hand.
- A drill or an electric screwdriver is needed for drilling the holes for the handles and the deep seating hole for the lock.
- A flathead screwdriver and a Phillips screwdriver. With them it is better to screw in self-tapping screws that fasten both the lock and the handles themselves. if the electric screwdriver slips off the screw, the door is likely to be damaged.
- Set of feather drill bits for wood. They are mounted on a drill or electric screwdriver and used to drill out planting holes. How to do it, we will tell a little later.
Measuring tape. About its purpose we will not have to talk about, everyone knows what it serves.
That’s all you need to solve the question of how to mortise the lock in a wooden door? You can also tell about the tools rarely used in this case, but probably do not, because without some experience with them you can do a lot of irreparable things.
You can watch video below to see how to install lock into the interior door.
It’s a bit more expensive to cut into PVC door, it costs from 1500 up to 3000rub (without 100% quality guarantee).
In order to insert the lock into the door you have to buy the lock first. In order to choose the right lock you should know two parameters: width and thickness of the vertical bar of the door. If the thickness is less than 40 cm there is no sense to insert the lock.
Locks can be with and without handles. If you have chosen the first option, you first place a lock in the door and the next step is to install the handle. Handle-latch are also sold in stores. And although structurally they are quite simple, it is not so easy to embed them. this process requires experience and the necessary set of tools.
Well, the choice is made. And now let’s proceed to installing the lock.
Installing the locking mechanism
The door lock is usually embedded in the center of the left or right slat of the door, so it is necessary to measure 1 meter from the floor surface and mark the place where the door handle will be located. Drill a hole for the lock mechanism. Drill a hole with the same diameter as the thickness of the lock and the length of the lock should be equal to the depth of the hole. Use a chisel to knock out the place for the support plate for the lock. Drilling the hole for the handle. Install the lock and mark the place for the self-tapping screws. Screw the lock with wood screws and make the holes and fasten it with a screw.
Fixing the handle
To fix the handles on both sides of the door you need to put the plates and fix them with self-tapping screws. Check the work of the lock and handles. The process of mounting the handle is not complicated, but it can only be applied to doors that are made of wood. In a wooden door the lock can be inserted in absolutely any place, while doors made of steel or fiberboard require a completely different approach.
For mortise the lock in the door made of wood-fibre board you will need experience and theoretical knowledge, as such door has an additional wooden bar, which is located at the distance of 1 meter from the floor. The rest of the door is completely hollow. Without knowing this peculiarity you may try to cut the lock above or below this bar, which will damage the door. That is why it is better to leave it to experienced craftsmen.
In order to embed the lock into the metal doors you should contact a specialized company, like ours. Trying to do it yourself may result in you wasting your time, damaging the lock or even ruining the door. We don’t think you need to spend that much money.
The process of embedding the lock
It is possible to cut the lock with a plunge router. For mortise use a plunge universal milling machine. Most people associate the word “milling machine” with some kind of large machine, but it is a small and handy hand-operated machine. It allows to make grooves, flutes, to line up edges, to cut profiles, and all that without using special and expensive equipment.
In a nutshell, the process of installing a lock looks like this:
- Mark out a place for the lock.
- Making a recess with a milling machine.
- We drill the holes, remove the excess wood, cleaning the place for the lock.
- Installing the lock and handles.
If you do not have a router, you can install the lock without it. Although you will need a router for mortise lock-latch installation.
Fashionable interior trends dictate their own terms, thanks to which people began to change both the entrance and interior doors more often. At the same time their replacement is associated with certain costs, the lion’s share of which goes to pay workers who will install the door. The obvious solution to the problem could be the installation with their own hands, but this requires skills and special tools. For example, in order to accurately cut the locking device will need a mill, we will talk about this in more detail below.
What are the locks for the inner doors?
Before you start thinking about mortise locks, you should decide on the type of lock. For interior doors there are many of them, and each of them has advantages and disadvantages. Often, a set with the ordered door also includes various hardware, among which there is a lock. However, this does not mean that you can not install any other fittings.
The hardware market can offer the following solutions:
For each of the above described types one can find installation templates. Nevertheless, despite the fact that they are all different, the basic installation algorithm remains the same, since in terms of attachment and installation, none of the types of locks has not brought anything fundamentally new.
Choosing a good cutter
All cutters are divided into types according to geometry:
They are also subdivided by the material to be machined:
The essential difference is a size of a shank. Cutters with 6 mm and 8 mm shanks are used most often, less often with 12 mm shanks. There are analogs, similar, but not identical. They are measured in inches 1/2 and 1/4. Translated into millimeters, these are 6.35 and 12.7, but they may not be used in a collet chuck designed for 6 and 12 mm shanks.
Collet chuck is different from cam chuck in that it does not tolerate inaccuracies. Because of this the fixation is unreliable, and during operation the cutter can fly out and cause injury to the operator. In order to avoid such situations it is necessary to use router bits. You can help to choose them with the help of the seller-consultant in the store.
Buying milling cutters, it is worth choosing only quality products. They will last more than a day and will not break during the work as it happens with cheap uncertified goods. Better if the coating of the product will be made of high-carbon stainless steel.
The procedure of work on insertion of door hinges using this device.
Putting the door leaf horizontally on the rib.
In order to prevent the door from falling, I put it in homemade stands, which I made in advance from scraps of door Fiberboard box and pieces of OSB.
Fasten the template to the door with two screw clamps.
Tip. In order not to scratch the door, you have to put rubber or wood-fiber board pads between the clamp and the door leaf.
Also, be sure to lay a piece of fiberboard (2-2.5 mm) or a piece of ruler between the restriction of the template and the door.
This spacer gives us a future clearance between the door and the upper/lower transverse door frame.
The gasket is removed when transferring the template to the bowtie post (see carefully at the very end of the video)!
, I limit the movement of the template with two laths. The rail for the stop 50×20×580 mm. the upper hinge with it The rail for the stop 30×10×1500 mm. the lower hinge with it.
Fasten this lath to the first one with two 25×3,5mm screws.
In order not to rearrange every time, I first cut all the upper, and then all the lower. it’s faster.
In principle, you can cut the hinges in a simpler way. With the help of the given template to cut in only on the doors, and on the box simply to transfer a marking and to cut in with the cutter, using the same stop which is given in the complete set.
I also practiced so, if need to build, say, two door units, but if more, then only with a template.
Tip. In order to accurately set the depth of milling, I put one half (card) of the canopy between the router table and the wooden base.
After running the router we get a recess for the hinge. In the corners I chisel the corners.
In this work at first glance it seems that a lot of work, but believe my little experience that this is not so. With the help of this device, I have hinged in a week without any pressure on 25
of the door units. On this topic I am finishing and will prepare to write the next one, so subscribe to new articles. A lot of plans, the only thing left is to find the time to implement my plans.
Installing the door leaf is to attach the hinges that hold the. In order to perform the work and at the same time not to spoil the door, experts recommend using special templates. In addition, each door is equipped with a lock, the installation of which can also cause problems for inexperienced craftsmen. The template for the lock can greatly facilitate the installation. What is this equipment and how to make it yourself,
How to choose the right hand router
Choosing a milling tool, which is planned to be used for the mortise of locks and hinges and for any other purpose you should pay attention to the following parameters of such equipment.
For not too intensive and not too hard works the milling cutters of not high and middle power are good enough that can be used also for mortise in door locks. powerful devices, mainly used in the professional sector, although they can cope with more complex tasks, can not ensure high speed of rotation of the tool used. Besides, weight of such power tools increases significantly with power increase.
Adjustable tool rotation speed
This feature allows optimal selection of modes for each of the milling cutter’s technological operations. Among handheld milling machines with such an option, it is better to choose models, the speed switch of which is protected from external mechanical effects, contamination with wood dust and sawdust. In addition, it is better to give preference to models with switches working according to the discrete principle.
Working part protrusion above the end of the chuck
Please note that the most important parameter is the actual outreach, not the maximum tool stroke length, which is stated in each model’s labeling.
The longer the protrusion of the cutter, the less you will have to re-drill the groove to install the lock
To assess this parameter it is necessary to take into account several characteristics of the device, such as the weight of the cutter, its functionality, the convenience of the location of the equipment controls, the length of the electrical cord. Not only user comfort, but also the quality of processing depends on how convenient it is to use a hand router.
This parameter is provided not only by the design features of the milling machine, but also by the presence of a special backlight in its equipment.
The functionality and usability of the equipment largely depend on this characteristic. That’s why, when buying any router (including for mortise-and-cover hinges), stop at the models equipped with various holders, additional nozzles and other elements.
Choosing a milling machine, it is necessary not only to hold such a device in hand, but also to be sure to turn it on. So you can assess how freely and easily the working head of the equipment moves, test the movable elements of the cutter for the presence of play and misalignment, determine the level of noise produced by the device during operation.
A useful addition to the router is a device for mortising hinges and door locks
If you follow these simple recommendations when choosing a hand router you will buy the device that will suit you both by its technical features and by the comfort of use.
Recommendations for the setting of the hand router for mortising door locks and hinges
Before you start using the hand router for mortise locks, you need to set it up. In particular, it is necessary to properly adjust the following parameters of such power tools:
The depth of groove to be cut depends on the thickness of the material used for manufacturing the door hinges or on the geometrical parameters of the mortise of the lock.
To adjust the equipment to a certain depth of milling for hinges or door locks, it is necessary to perform the following actions:
- Place the cutter on a level and hard surface.
- Then the threaded element that secures the feed pin is loosened.
- The cutter to be machined is lowered to the level of the reference surface, and the number zero is set on the scale of the machining depth.
- If the router is to be used to create grooves for hinges, it is necessary to determine the thickness of the material from which they are made.
- Set the value on the router’s feed pin scale.
The mortise tool must be firmly secured to the door leaf
For a better idea of how to set the working depth with a hand-held milling machine, watch the video.
If the lock mortise with the router is planned during which it is necessary to make a groove of considerable depth in the end part of the door, such procedure is performed in several stages, each of which removes a layer of wood no more than 5 mm thick.
The rotational speed of the tool to be milled must be set by experimentation. It is, however, important to make sure that the routing cutter is not overloaded during routing, and that the wood being routed does not catch fire. A special regulator, mounted on the body of the milling machine, is used to set the speed of rotation of the tool.
Different types of hand-held milling machines
In today’s market handheld milling machines are represented by electrical equipment of the following categories:
- devices of vertical or submersible type, which are mainly used for notching of different depths and widths (a typical representative of the electric tool of this category is precisely the router for mortise hinges and locks);
- edge routers, also called edging routers (with the help of electric tools of this category, decorative processing of the edges of products made of wood is performed);
- routers of the combined type, used mainly in the professional sphere (they are called combined because they combine the capabilities of edge and vertical routers);
- power tools for special purposes, the most common types of which are lamellar and dowel mills (as the name of the category of such devices suggests, they can only be used to solve a particular technological problem).
How to choose the right hand router
When choosing a router, which is planned to be used for mortise locks and hinges, as well as any other purpose device, one should pay attention to the following parameters of such equipment.
For not too intensive and not too hard works in a home workshop the routers of low and middle power are quite fit, they can be used also for the insertion of door locks. powerful devices, which are used mainly in the professional sphere, although able to cope with more complex tasks, can not provide high speed rotation of the tool used. In addition, as the power increases, the weight of such power tools increases significantly.
Possibility to regulate the rotation speed of the tool
This feature also allows for optimal adaptation to each of the routing cutter‘s working processes. Of hand routers that have such an option, it is better to choose models whose speed switch is protected from external mechanical influences, contamination with wood dust and sawdust. In addition, it is better to give preference to models with switches that operate on a discrete principle.
The size of the tool’s working part protrusion above the end of the chuck
It should be borne in mind that the most important parameter is the size of the real output, not the maximum stroke length of the tool, which is indicated in the marking of each model.
The greater the reach of the cutter, the less it is necessary to re-drill the slot to install the lock
To assess this parameter, consider several characteristics of the device, such as the weight of the cutter, its functionality, the convenience of the location of the equipment controls, the length of the electric cord. Not only user comfort, but also the quality of the work performed depends on how convenient it is to use a hand router.
This parameter is ensured not only by the design features of the router, but also by the presence of a special backlight in its equipment.
The functionality and usability of the equipment largely depend on this characteristic. That’s why when buying any milling machine (including those for mortise hinges) stop at the models, equipped with different holders, additional nozzles and other elements.
Choosing a milling machine, it is necessary not only to hold such a device in hand, but also to be sure to turn it on. So you can assess how freely and easily the working head of the equipment moves, test the movable elements of the router for backlash and warping, determine the level of noise produced by the device during operation.
Useful addition to the router. a device for mortise hinges and door locks
By following these simple recommendations when choosing a hand router, you can buy a device that will suit you both in its technical characteristics and ease of use.
Drill bits for door locks and hinges
The keyhole cutters allow for the creation of suitable grooves in the door leaf in just a few minutes. It can also be used to make relatively small hollows suitable for mounting door hinges. Not only grooves in the face area can be produced with these routers. But also round holes in the face part, for installing door handle (in case the lock fits into it). Such cutting tools differ in size, and may also have differences in the geometry of the working part. Our web-site offers products from brands CMT, Dimar, Arden, Greentools.
Mortise tool for mortise door hinges
For the installation of door hinges are best suited hand routers, equipped with the appropriate tools.hinge cutters. It has to have relatively small diameter. the optimum variant is a product of 9,5 mm (however other models are also suitable, depending on the situation). By using milling cutters one can easily create grooves for hidden or usual (consignment) hinges. This greatly speeds up the work. In our store you can find suitable cutters to create such grooves, designed by the following companies. Greentools, CMT, Arden, Dimar. Please contact us and we will help you find the most suitable options.
In our online store FREZA.You can easily find the appropriate cutting tool for your needs at the EN catalog. Also:
- We issue all necessary documents and certificates for the cutters;
- We cooperate only with world-known companies due to the high quality of their products;
- We provide fast order processing, as well as fast delivery of the purchase to any city in Russia;
- We have two “live” stores located in St. Petersburg and Moscow, as well as a site on the Internet;
- We guarantee quality and offer a wide range of milling cutters.
Still have questions or need professional advice for choosing the right cutter? Visit our store now.