The line for the trimmer does not come out of the grass trimmer spool
Repair the grass trimmer spool with their own hands: how to remove, disassemble, change the line for the trimmer, assemble and install back
In this article, we will describe in detail the procedure of how to remove the grass trimmer spool. The step-by-step instructions with the attached video will help the beginner and experienced user to independently remove the element of the system and clean it or replace it with a new one. Before you remove the grass trimmer spool, it is imperative that it be plugged. for gasoline models or power off. for electric trimmers. We will demonstrate one traditional disassembly scheme, but different trimmer models may have different ways of attaching the spool to the tool. With your own hands you can not only remove the old coil sample, but also change it for a new one, if necessary. So, step by step scenario:
- Unplug the machine or turn off the engine (for chain saws).
- Carefully remove the spool cap that holds the coil spring in place.
- Press the latches symmetrically located on both sides with one hand and gently remove the cover with the other.
- Look for the hole in the gear cup, located on the side or top, and align it with the same hole in the hub of the shaft.
- Using a hexagonal key or a metal rod. put it through the hole in the reducer, avoiding possible rotation of the shaft.
- We remove the mowing bobbin, on which a line for the trimmer is wound.
- In the depth will be visible slightly sunken screw. It can be unscrewed with a Phillips or slotted screwdriver.
- Hold the head body with one hand and with the other, counterclockwise, unscrew the screw.
- Lightly wiggle. remove the mowing head. Even if it’s a bit stuck, gently apply more effort and with the same wiggle. remove it. Often the movements are made in the clock hand, but there are also spools that are unscrewed in the other direction.
- Assembly takes place in the opposite order.
To carry out the removal of the bobbin is necessary in cases of its damage, the winding of the line (which is undesirable and indicates an illiterate selection of tackle), as well as when you need to wind a new cord on a new spool or replace the cutting tackle. The “KosiKosa” store will always offer you an inexpensive reel for grass trimmer.
How to remove the grass trimmer‘s mowing head.
The design and attachment of the working part of the electric scissors varies considerably from manufacturer to manufacturer. But taking into account that in our markets there are a lot of copies of brands that are acceptably recognizable, the described order can suit the owners of other portable garden equipment for the care of lawns and grass.
Tool for replacing the trimmer head.
To replace, remove the mowing head from the tool we will come in handy star-shaped nozzle, usually supplied, or a flat wide screwdriver. Use a hexagon in place of a sprocket will not work, the nozzle slips, mucking out the facets of the star on the screw.
Installing the mowing head on your Black & Decker grass trimmer.
Installing the mowing head on the grass trimmer is done in reverse order. When installing the screw in place, it is tightened with medium effort.
I wish you a good dacha season and that the garden equipment does not fail. I hope my advice how to remove the head mowing on the trimmer BlackDecker GL716 saved you time and nerves.
Trimmer head with two tendrils
After removing the bobbin from the body of the spool to determine the number of thread channels for winding the line (1 or 2). No fundamental difference between the single groove and double groove spools, but negligent filling of the dual groove spools may cause operational problems. Because of the possibility of intertwining of adjoining lines of the tool, a situation can occur when, after the working tendrils wear out, it is impossible to extract the new ones.
Regardless of the number of trimmer arms, a trimmer line length of 1 or more is used for filling.5 to 3 meters. Reeling must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, because winding during walking will not let the line to the trimmer get out of the bobbin. After the line for the trimmer is tucked into the grass trimmer reel the loose ends (15-30 cm) are threaded into the special holes. Then you assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the performance. Do not worry if the ends of the 2 tendrils are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer for grass, the blade installed on the protection will cut the excess.
Main faults of the spool
Users of electric trimmers and lawnmowers often encounter a problem with the semi-automatic mowing head. Reel malfunctions may be as follows:
the line for the trimmer does not extend automatically
If the grass trimmer line does not extend when you lightly hit the grass trimmer spool button on the ground, the reasons may be.
Variant 1. jamming has occurred, t.е. jammed filament between the coils. This problem usually appears if the user has wound the line for the trimmer on the spool unevenly, with overlapping turns, or has wound it with insufficient tension. In the last case, when rotating the mowing head at high revolutions the cord begins to tighten due to the centrifugal force, resulting in a possible inter-twist jamming of the line. To solve the problem you have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cords correctly, i.e. with even turns and good tension.
Option 2. ends are too short and stick out of the head. the trimmer line may not come out when it hits the ground if its ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (short). In this case the centrifugal force is not enough to pull out the trimmer line. Therefore, you need to stop the machine (turn off the engine or unplug the electric grass trimmer) and pull the line for the trimmer manually, by first pressing the button.
Variant 3. the trimmer line is soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the reel to freeze and does not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, there are several reasons for this: poor quality cord, overheating of the reel during prolonged operation of the machine, the impact of the line on hard objects.
- In the first case, the third-party cord may be made of low-quality, low-melting-point materials that cannot withstand the mechanical and thermal loading. That’s why preference should be given to “branded” lines.
- But, if you still bought a line for a trimmer of unknown quality, and it often solders during work, you can follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord in the spool, wet it either with silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure makes it much less likely that the coils of the fishing line will stick together.
- The trimmer line can also melt if it hits a hard object while mowing (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.).д.). This causes the line to stretch slightly and retract back into the head at high speed. The friction heats the filament and causes it to stick together. The only thing you can do to fix this malfunction is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the trimmer line.
Cord extends spontaneously
There are situations when the grass trimmer user notices a very fast line consumption. At no time did he hit the button on the ground to lengthen the line. The reason why the line for the trimmer lengthens spontaneously, getting cut on a special knife on the hood of the device, can be caused by the absence of a spring in the mowing head. Often beginner mower users forget to install the clamping spring in the mowing head while trying to load the line into the reel or they lose it altogether when opening the cover and later on do not even suspect its existence.
Also, the line for the trimmer can be extended without the use of a button, if the spring is loose. If checking the spring confirms it, some washers should be placed under the spool to reinforce its pressing power.
Types of trimmer heads
Grass trimmer head is a cylindrical body, in which is inserted a spool (bobbin) with a fishing line (cord) threaded into it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The heads differ in the way the cord is threaded and fed and come in 3 types.
- Automatic. The filament is fed after the user has reduced the engine speed. Although automatic filament feeding is convenient if you perform large volumes of work, but such bobbins have one disadvantage. high consumption of filament.
- Semi-automatic. The use of this type of head does not require the user to perform any complicated manipulation. The way they work is that the cord is extended automatically while the machine works at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the head of the grass trimmer on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for the trimmer thanks to the centrifugal force is extended from the bobbin, after which it is cut to the desired length by the knife, located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord you need to stop the machine, after which the line for the trimmer is pulled manually.
On the basis of the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be borne in mind that the grass trimmer reels for grass can be single-stranded (used only for grass trimming) and double-stranded, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
Read also: A fishing line or a bobbin what is right
Types of lines for lawnmower/grass trimmer
Today is created a huge number of varieties of cord. A line for a trimmer does not only differ in cross-section and length, but also in terms of material, surface structure, and cross-section.
But the main aspects of selecting a line are:
In fact, the main characteristics of the line are always marked on the bobbin itself. Many manufacturers indicate the characteristics of the line as a spectrum rather than a clear value. For example, let’s take a reel with the following parameters: length. 2,5-3,5 (m), thickness. 1,5-3 (mm). The spectrum makes the mower more versatile. The wider the range, the greater the range of work the mower will be able to do.
When selecting a line for a grass trimmer, it is particularly important to consider the value of the cross-section. As the cross-section of the line increases its strength. Not bad thick line for trimmer on 3-4 (mm) can be used for mowing already formed and stronger weeds. Thinner line, 1,5-2,5 (mm), can be trusted only to mow young growth.
The cross section of the filament is directly linked to the power of the lawnmower. Thick fishing line for trimmers is acceptable only on massive and productive units. Usually line for trimmers
3-4 (mm) is used on lawnmowers with a motor power of 1000-1200 (watts) or more.
Regarding the length of the line, the longer the cord, the less often you have to reload the reel. How else you can systematize the types of line for brushcutters.
Section and surface structure
A classic of the genre is a line for trimmer with a round section. The round section filament is very robust and durable. But the round section is only good for cutting younger growth, mostly with narrow stems.
If the operator is facing the task of mowing perfectly mature weeds with thick stems, and maybe even dead wood, the circular section of the cordwood in this case is ineffective. For similar tasks, trimmer lines with sharp edges are great:
Obviously, these types of fishing line also have their drawbacks. The main disadvantage of faceted cord is its susceptibility to sharp wear and tear. Sharp edges are characterized by active breakage. When choosing a fishing line, you also need to consider the material. Row versions of cord are created from plastic. Line for a more expensive trimmer is made on the basis of a stronger synthetic.
How to wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer reel
If you regularly mow the lawn, sooner or later you’ll want to know how to wind the line for the trimmer around the grass trimmer. The manufacturers of shields do not provide such information, so the owners of equipment often find themselves in a difficult situation. Guaranteed production line requires regular replacement, otherwise it doesn’t cut grass well or only removes young plants. Replacing consumables is simple enough just look at or read our instructions, which will make the process much easier.
How to fill the grass trimmer spool step by step
To properly rewind your trimmer fishing line to a grass trimmer, the key is to. Follow the steps of replacement and safety rules.
Before disassembling the electric grass trimmer, you should unplug it. Grass trimmer head on any tool consists of a cover, cover and spool of wood. The way to remove it depends on the construction of the braid:
- Small devices with a spool on the bottom usually key on the sides of the spool. If pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the spool will come off the thread and the lower part will remain on the tool.
- To wind the fishing line for the trimmer around the spool of the bent grass trimmer for the rod, find a special wing on the spool. In these models, the head is removed by holding the spool and simultaneously rotating the wing nut against the hand of the watch. Once the nut is unscrewed, the entire spool can be removed.
- If a gasoline or electricGrass trimmer has the function of setting the blade, then you need a screwdriver to disassemble it. To remove the head, find the hole under the bobbin, put a screwdriver in it, and then wind the bobbin clockwise and take it out of the braid.
It is important to remember that the cord is placed on the spool, which is located inside the head. To get it, you have to disassemble the head. Traditionally, it has a special lock on its body, which, when pressed, provides access to the forest. To remove the bobbin, press the latch and, holding it with one hand, turn the head cover clockwise.
READ How to correctly insert a trimmer line into a gasoline trimmer
Some types of trimmers do not have latches, so you will have to disassemble the body. When disassembling, it is important to remember the order in which all the elements of the head were removed, so that after replacing the forest to assemble them in the same order, but only in the reverse order.
Heads of the trimmer can differ in design, so the replacement of the mowing line on the electric trimmer for grass or its gasoline analog is carried out with this point in mind. If there is a separation flange on the head, the cord is changed as follows:
- The required amount of scaffolding is measured, folded in half, and then fixed with a fold in the special groove. If there is no such groove, the cord will need to be cut into two halves, and the ends of each should be attached to the holders that the manufacturer provides at the top and bottom of the spool between the bead.
- Before you begin winding the mowing line, you should determine in which direction the winding will take place. Usually the direction can be seen as an arrow on the spool.
- The edges of the cord are inserted into the grooves between the bead, and the spool begins to rotate so that the cord winds in the direction of the arrow. Both one and the other half of the mowing line are laid in the same direction.
- When hammering the mowing line into the trimmer spool at the end of the winding, the free edges of the mowing line must be threaded into the holes on the spool. They are placed in a perpendicular direction to each other.
If the bobbin has no baffle, the wood is cut into two halves and their ends are placed in the holes located at the top of the bobbin. Wind both parts of the cord in the direction of the arrow, making sure they do not cross. After winding, the free edges of the wood are enclosed on the sides of the head, and if there are slits in it, they are fixed.
The above instructions apply to grass trimmer heads with 2 antennas. There are other winding options. If you need to figure out how to braid fishing line into a grass trimmer that has a single spike head, note that the process is similar, but the wood is not folded in half. If there are four antennae, four pieces of fishing line are used, which are placed in turn in the holes of the head.
The bobbin is installed in the head, removed from the side blades, and tightened. Next, the cord is secured tightly and the lid is closed. Last step. Set the reel on the mower and pull the line for the trimmer so that when cutting plants it does not come into contact with the protective cover.
If you know how to properly wind a fishing line on a grass trimmer, you can ensure its full and high-quality operation. Timely replacement of the cord is a guarantee of even cutting and long tool life.
What kinds of fishing lines are available?
A common type of fishing line that fits virtually all types of cord reels. How to remove the coil on the trimmer pgt-800 sbm. I can’t. To ring out but not as in the trimmer starter and spool crushed on which. This is an ordinary trimmer line, suitable for mowing lush grass, but it will be much harder to mow dead wood, and even more so it can not cope with the bushes.
Usually, the cross section, which you can mow young grass, does not exceed 1.6 mm. I have a similar trimmer on how to remove the spool from the trimmer for grass, and the garden meanwhile overgrown. The thicker the thread, the thicker the grass it can cut.
There is a line with sharpened facets in the form of a star or a square, this option is more adapted to mowing dry grass just because of the available sharp edges, but the disadvantage is its greater wear and tear and on the strength it concedes round cord.
What consumers say about the Husgvarna T45X trimmer head? As noted by the owners, this element has almost no disadvantages, if not to count the high cost. But this part has a lot of advantages. Among them:
- Automatic cord feed.
- High quality workmanship.
- Sophisticated design.
- Easy and convenient to use.
- Two-section bobbin.
This model is suitable for dacha owners, gardeners, communal workers. Used with mowers, which shaft diameter is 3-3,2 mm.
Champion and Huter trimmer head repair
If the light impact of the button on the grass trimmer coil on the ground line trimmer is not extended, then the background of this is usually the following.
Variant 1. jamming has occurred, t.е. Clamping the cord between coils. This problem usually occurs if the user has wound the trimmer line on the spool unevenly, with crossed coils, or with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when rotating the mowing head at high revolutions, the cord begins to tighten under the influence of centrifugal force, under the influence of which there may be an intercurl in the fishing line. to remove this problem you need to take apart the spool on the trimmer and rewind the filament correctly, in other words with even coils and good tension.
Variant 2.4. very short ends protrude from the head. the trimmer line may not come out when hitting the ground, if its ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (not long enough). Under these circumstances, the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the trimmer line. Because it is required to suspend the unit (turn off the engine or unplug the trimmer elletricheskogo grass trimmer from the network) and pull the line for the trimmer manually, by first pressing the button.
Variant 3. a line for a trimmer is soldered inside a mowing head. This leads to the fact that the coil does not spin when you press the button. Basically, there are several reasons for this: bad quality of filament, overheating of spool during prolonged machine operation, line is struck against hard objects.
- In the beginning, the cords of foreign manufacturers and may be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not hold the mechanical and thermal load. Therefore, preference should be given to “brand-name” fishing lines.
- If you still caught the line for the trimmer unknown properties, and it often soldered in its time of operation, you can follow the example of some users, who after filling the cord in the coil or lubricate it with silicone grease (from the canister), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering the line coils to each other.
- The trimmer line may also melt if it hits a hard object (a rock, fence, dry branch, etc.) while mowing.д.). Because of this, it is a little stretch and at great speed is pulled back into the head. The friction warms the cord and the coils stick together. The only thing that will do to fix this malfunction is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the line for the trimmer.
There are situations when the user of grass trimmer notices a very sharp flow of line. With all this, he never hit the button on the ground to lengthen the line. A prerequisite that the line for the trimmer spontaneously lengthens, cutting on a special knife on the hood of the device, is the absence of a spring in the mowing head. Often beginners users of mowers, trying to charge the line trimmer in the coil, remember to install pinch the spring in the head, as it is also called completely lose it when opening the cover, and then do not even know about its existence.
Also, the trimmer line is extended without using the buttons if the spring is loose. If the check of the spring confirms this fact, then you need to put under it a few washers, to increase its clamping characteristics.
Owners trimmers, mostly new, come to the confusion, adjoining to panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or line for a trimmer in the reel. Often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head users simply cause it to fail, not realizing that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To avoid this, if it will be necessary to change the tool is recommended to join the step by step annotation given below.
- While tucking the line for trimmer in the reel, turn off the engine of brushcutter or de-energize trimmer electric for grass to avoid injuries that occur when accidentally starting the rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the mowing head that is attached to the reducer shaft. To do this, you need to fix the shaft by aligning the holes on the washer on the axle, and inserting there an iron bar otherwise speaking screwdriver.
- Unscrew the nozzle. It is necessary to know that the thread on the shaft of the left. Because the grass trimmer reel should be turned to the right, in other words, in a clockwise direction.
- Disassemble the mowing head. In most cases the mowing head cap is secured with clips. To remove it, it will be necessary to push these catches in the body, pushing back the edge of the cover. If pass, if your trimmer has an automatic mowing head with a button at the bottom, disassemble the head should be carried out accurately, as certainly lose the spring, which occasionally flies out when you remove the cover.
- Cut off desired amount of fishing line. It is usually 5 meters long. Use a cord of the cross section that is specified in the manual to the tool. It is not recommended to exceed the largest cross section of fishing line, as this will lead to increased load on the engine and greater gasoline consumption.
- Find the center of the cord by folding it in half. You will have a loop.
- There are special grooves inside the coil (there happen to be holes). Insert the loop of fishing line in the groove.
- Wind the trimmer line onto the spool by turning it counterclockwise. The cord has to be wound very straight, the turns are made without overlapping and with a good tension. When you have finished winding it, leave the loose ends of the line about 20cm long and secure them into the slots on the side of the spool.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before assembling the mowing head do not forget to insert the spring and the washer (if present). Insert the spool into the body and thread the ends through the holes or eyelets.
- Put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the reducer shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. Screw the grass trimmer reel to the left (counterclockwise). arrows).
Gasoline works, but does not spin. How to Start Diagnosing Trimmers |
If the cutter does not start or stalls immediately after starting, all major components and assemblies should be checked sequentially. The check algorithm is as follows:
- Fuel tank (fuel quality);
- The candle and the candle channel;
- Air filter;
- Fuel filter;
- Exhaust duct.
Why does the carburetor on the trimmer overflow grass trimmers and chain saws Husqvarna Carburetor adjustment Husqvarna adjustment is done if: the motor run-in period has ended (after using the first 4-5 liters of fuel). fuel); the quality of the combustion constituents has changed.
How to Tuck the trimmer line into the STIHL grass trimmer reel Gasoline or electric grass trimmer. An indispensable helper in the arsenal of the modern cottager or homeowner. With these gardening tools, you can easily mow even a large garden. After purchasing this tool
How to wind the line for trimmer on the reel power trimmer St For a comfortable mowing vegetation in the homestead optimal choice characteristics of trimmers for grass will not be enough. For both an electric grass trimmer and a gasoline-powered brush cutter, the cutting tool should.
These assemblies are often the source of serious problems that can be solved after a thorough inspection.
Checking the fuel mixture
Check the availability and quality of the fuel mixture before starting the grass trimmer engine. Do not economize, do not be greedy and do not be wise in this matter. Repair or replace the piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). It is necessary to prepare the fuel mixture strictly according to the instructions. Calculate its quantity from actual needs. Excess gasoline left behind loses its quality over time.
Diagnosing the spark plug and spark plug channel
If the quality of the fuel mixture is unquestionable and the brush stops on startup, a full spark plug may be the cause. Here for the repair will do the usual spark plug wrenches (probably every motorist has) and spare spark plugs.
- We spin the candle and wipe it clean;
- Dry it thoroughly (do not burn it);
- Excess fuel in the chamber is drained through the spark plug hole and dried;
- We remove the old candle with a deposit folder or lady folder;
- Set the gap to 1 mm (you can check with any coin);
- We put everything back in place and try to start the weed trimmer.
Dry the channel for at least 30-40 minutes. Otherwise there is a risk of a new spark plug.
If the candle works, the socket is completely dry and you do not want to run the brush completely, lubricate the threaded joint with gasoline. It should be slightly dampened. No matter what wonderful spark the candle produces, a dry chamber just won’t ignite.
If the grass trimmer engine still won’t start, you should rule out a lack of spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high voltage wire. If the connection is good, but there are still no sparks, your ignition unit has probably flown by. Here you can not do without a craftsman, because the item is not repaired, but sold as a whole.
Diagnosing hedge trimmer filters
Another reason a gas grass trimmer may be air filter. To turn it off, try removing the filter and start the grass trimmer without it. If possible, you will have to replace the air filter with a new one, or at least blow and thoroughly clean the old one.
The gas grass trimmer may not start because the fuel filter is dirty. This is the next step in our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and, if necessary, replace it with a new one. When replacing it, try not to leave the intake tube completely without a filter, which is prohibited by any instruction manual. Success can lead to the repair of the engine piston group.
How to remove the spool and replace the trimmer line
Owners trimmers, mostly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when there is a need to change the cutting tool or line for a trimmer in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply bring it into disrepair, not realizing that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To avoid this happening and if you need to replace the tool, we recommend you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before tucking the trimmer line into the spool, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries that may occur if the cutting tool accidentally starts rotating.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be secured by aligning the holes on the washer and the axle, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver.
Design of the grass trimmer spool
Mower heads for trimmers come in a variety of designs. both simple and complex. The illustration below shows the semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna brushcutter (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the complete set of the majority of gasoline mowers and electric trimmers, such as STIHL (STIHL), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The design of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following parts:
- the base of the mowing head;
- button for semi-automatic filament feed;
- bobbin (spool), in which the line for trimmer is threaded;
- eyelets. through them, the line for the trimmer comes out
- trimmer head cover;
- trimmer line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads, shown in the following photo.
All of these attachments do not allow you to change the length of the line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In case of cord breakage, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Preparing to change
To make it clear, the mowing head (bobbin) was removed from the brushcutter. To change the line, it is not necessary to remove it, everything is done in place. It does not take long.
Dismantle the grass trimmer bobbin, it is attached to the latches. You remove the cover by pushing down on the latches. If you don’t have enough force with your hands, you can use a screwdriver.
The bobbin is made up of the following:
The principle is as follows. Pressing the button, the spool is pressed against the spring and comes out of the fixing grooves in the bobbin lid. When held in this position, you can twist the spool and thereby adjust the length of the line. When you release the button, the body spring returns the bobbin to its original locked position.
Scaffolding winding algorithm
Depending on the grass trimmer model used, choose the type, thickness and length of the mowing line. The diameter of the line can be from 1.2 to 4mm. It’s not hard to guess that the thicker you tuck the cord, the stiffer and thicker it can be cut.
There are 3 ways of knowing what diameter of line you can use on your mower.
- Refer to the machine manual for cord thickness information.
- Look at the spool itself. It may be marked with information about the possible diameters of mowing line.
- Insert the trimmer line into the socket. If it fits easily into it, you can use a cord of this diameter.
The trimmer line is wound onto the spool, located in the mowing head. So it needs to be opened first (this was discussed above). There are two ways to wind the cord.
The first way
To correctly determine how many meters of fishing line are needed for a particular spool, you need to wind it on the spool so that the spool does not exceed the diameter of the boards. If the trimmer line extends beyond the edges of the spool, you cannot insert it into the cover. Once you have decided on the length of the material, you need to load it into the reel, so do the following.
- You need to fold the trimmer line in half, so that one end is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Note that the spool is divided into 2 parts by the center side, which is where the charging starts. Find a recess on it and insert the cord, bent in half, into it with a little effort.
- It is very important to determine which direction the trimmer line is wound to the spool. If you look closely, you may find an arrow on the reel or a sign with an arrow indicating which direction to wind. There are cases where there is no arrow on the spool. In this situation, you can look at the drawn arrow on the mower head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- The winding should be done carefully, wrapped around the spool, with maximum thread tension.
- After the cord is finished, you must first secure the short end of the mowing line by inserting it into the groove of the appropriate diameter on the side of the spool.
- The other end, the true end, is set in the groove on the opposite side of the spool.
- After securing the trimmer line, cut the ends off, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install the aged spool into the mower head. To do this, insert and pull the threads into the output holes of the head, insert the spool into the housing, and then, using the necessary force, pull the trimmer line out of the mounting grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Some spools provide a second method of securing the cord: instead of one folded in half, you can load 2 pieces of thread The line for the trimmer is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before replacing or loading new thread into the spool, determine how many meters are needed, as described above.
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- Find a hole in the bottom of the spool to secure the trimmer line, and insert the end of the thread, bent into a loop.
- It is necessary to wind the cord in accordance with the direction of the arrow up to the desired level, not exceeding the diameter of the spool.
- Do the same for the second spool socket.
- Assembling the head is no different from the method provided for threading the spool, considered with a double piece of fishing line.
For STIHL-brand motor braid There is a very quick and easy way to change your trimmer line without disassembling the mower, which you can see by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the body can be cut to the required length when the part is installed in the trimmer. There are two ways to do this:
- Turning on the weed trimmer (while spinning, the ends of the fishing line will be cut around the blade attached to the protective cover for this purpose);
- By trimming the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the body.
The second method is used if you need to thread a large diameter cord and the cutter can’t shorten it.
If the line is wound onto the mowing head but the protruding cord ends are not long enough, they must be lengthened before the machine is started. This applies to the head with manual adjustment. However, there are times when a semi-automatic trimmer is used, when due to insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not automatically lengthen. In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (it is absolutely necessary to pull the plug out of the socket on the electrical device), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little fishing line for trimmer. After this procedure, the cord will be able to lengthen again due to centrifugal force if you set the spindle to its maximum speed.
Replace the trimmer fishing line with a disc or knife
When trimming gardens, park areas and other places where you need to mow different types of plants, you often have to change the cutting tool in the trimmer. This is because the standard cord installed in the mower head can only handle grass. But when a bush or young tree sprout gets in the way of the worker, the trimmer line is not up to the task and must be replaced with a more effective cutting tool.
Trimmer manufacturers have foreseen similar situations and have supplemented their products with a mass of attachments in the form of knives with several “blades” or in the form of discs similar to circular saws.
If you replace the line for the trimmer with a knife with several “petals”, this tool can mow both tall grass and plants with thick and dry stems. And by swapping the trimmer line on the disc, the user is able to trim bushes or small trees.
Blades and wheels are installed according to the following algorithm.
- First remove it by securing the shaft, the mowing head (turn clockwise) or the nut and shoe if the machine is not already in use.
- Install the saw or cutter blade so that they are positioned on a small ledge (bushing).
READ Grass trimmer gear lubrication STIHL Fs 55
- Replace the cover on the blade and screw the nut on the shaft (counterclockwise).
- Tighten the nut (counterclockwise) with a pipe wrench.
You can watch this video to better understand the tool change process.