The line is unwound from the trimmer reel
Preparation for winding the line
Before the winding process, it is necessary to remove the spool with line from the body. Depending on the manufacturer, power and type (electric or gasoline), there are three design types of trimmers:
- Compact Electric Trimmers. Electric Trimmer Coil This type of tool has a lower position of the motor and head, which in turn has two side buttons for removing the bobbin. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the reel with the line is disconnected, and the lower part remains rigidly attached to the braid. Experts recommend disassembling on a level platform in order to prevent the spring from jumping out.
- Motorcycle and electric scythes with a curved duralumin bar, not intended for work with a knife. As a rule, the coils of such models are equipped with a special wing nut. Dismantling the spool should be carried out holding the spool body with one hand, and unscrew the thumbs counterclockwise with the other.
- Powerful petrol trimmers and electric straight boom trimmers. Straight boom trimmer In this model, the possibility of installing a knife is provided. Removing the coil in such models is done by means of two keys recessed into the coil body. To mount the trimmer knife, it is necessary to align the hole of the reel and the rod, and then insert the device in the form of a steel pin (screwdriver, iron bar). After fixing the coil, the body can be easily unscrewed by hand in a clockwise direction.
Changing the line to a disc or knife
When ennobling a personal plot, park areas and other places where it is required to mow various kinds of plants, it is often necessary to change the cutting tool in the trimmer.
This is due to the fact that the standard cord installed in the mowing head can only deal with grasses.
But when a bush or young growth of trees appears in the path of an employee, the line cannot cope with such a task, and it needs to be changed to a more efficient cutting tool.
Trimmer manufacturers have foreseen such situations, and supplemented their products with a mass of attachments in the form of knives with several “petals” or in the form of discs, similar to circular saws.
If you replace the fishing line with a knife with several “petals”, then this tool can mow both tall grass and plants with thick and dry stems. And by changing the line to a disc, the user of the brushcutter has the opportunity to cut down bushes or small trees.
Knives and discs are installed according to the following algorithm.
- The first step is to remove, locking the shaft, the mowing head (turn clockwise) or the boot nut, if the unit has not yet been used.
- Position the saw or cutter blade so that it fits over the small protrusion (bushing).
- Install the attachment cover on top of the knife and screw the nut onto the shaft (counterclockwise).
- Tighten the nut (counterclockwise) using a pipe wrench.
For a better understanding of the process of changing tools, you can watch this video.
Some spools provide a second method of securing the cord: you can charge 2 pieces of thread instead of one folded in half. The line is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before changing or loading a new thread into the spool, determine how many meters it will take using the method described above.
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- Find the hole in the bottom of the bobbin for the line to be fixed, and insert the looped end of the thread into it.
- It is required to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow to the required level not exceeding the spool diameter.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the head is no different from the method that was given when threading the bobbin with a half-folded piece of fishing line was considered.
For Shtil brushcutters there is a very simple and quick way to change the line without disassembling the mowing head, which you can familiarize yourself with by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the casing can be cut to the required length after the part is installed in the trimmer. This can be done in two ways:
- turning on the trimmer (when rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut off against the knife fixed for this purpose on the protective casing);
- cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the casing body.
The second method is used if it was necessary to supply a large diameter cord, and the edging knife cannot shorten it.
If the filament has been charged into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is not enough, then they must be lengthened before starting the machine. this applies to the head with manual adjustment.
However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head, when, due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not automatically lengthen.
In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (on an electrical device, it is necessary to unplug the plug from the socket), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little line. After this procedure, the cord can again be extended due to centrifugal force if you set the maximum spindle speed.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
At first glance, threading a line into the reel of a tool is not an easy task. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
It is worth reading this guide to find out how to tuck the line into the trimmer. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the spools of different types of trimmers, therefore, it is applicable to any tool.
So, the procedure is as follows.
- The line spool is the bottom end of the trimmer. First of all, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft threads through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage, you have to remove the bobbin from the head, on which the fishing line is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you first need to find a retainer on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It needs to be put aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the step of winding the line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new bobbin.
- From a previously prepared skein of new fishing line, it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, the key stage actually begins, which this article is devoted to.
Trimmer users, both gasoline and electric, sometimes have cord problems.
“Advanced” mower owners easily cope with the difficulties that have arisen, understanding why this is happening, and for beginners it is a problem that has no rational explanation.
But in fact, everything is solved quite simply. The most common problems that happen with the line are as follows.
Trimmer head with two antennae
Head with two flutes
After removing the spool from the spool body, we determine the number of strands for winding the fishing line (1 or 2).
There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but if carelessly threading into the twin groove, there will be operational problems.
Due to the likelihood of interlacing adjacent lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after wear of the working antennae, it is impossible to remove new ones.
Regardless of the number of streams, a fishing line with a length of 1.5 to 3 meters is taken for refueling. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will lead to the fact that the line will not be removed from the reel.
After the fishing line is tucked into the trimmer coil, thread the free ends (15-30 cm) into special holes. Next, we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the operability.
Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer, the knife installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
How To Correctly Change Trimmer Line
The most wearing part in the trimmer design is line. Therefore, it is important to know how to choose the right one and wind it on a reel. All the details in the article
Since we examined the choice of a trimmer in the previous article, today we will tell you how to properly fill the trimmer with fishing line, and which one is better to choose based on the working conditions.
After you bought a trimmer and began to actively use it, sooner or later the question of replacing the fishing line will arise, since this is the most wearing element in the tool, intensive use of the trimmer will lead to frequent replacement of consumables.
Removing the coil from the trimmer
On small, bottom motor electric trimmers (when operating near the ground), the coil usually has two buttons on the sides.
Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (there is still no way to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to wrap the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox at its end (on such trimmers, in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver crawls even deeper, and the coil will lock.
Now we turn the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-hand) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with latches or twisted with a lamb.
If the coil is on snaps, then press on the sides on the base of the snaps so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb.
There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you also need to make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
Which line to choose for the trimmer?
A beautiful and well-groomed lawn in front of the house or a neat lawn framed by ornamental shrubs in many ways speaks not only of the attractiveness of the artistic solution, but also of the diligence of the owner of the estate.
And these are not empty words, because systematic lawn care requires not only adherence to technological cycles, but also hard work.
Created and practically perfected lawn care tools, together with the need for skillful handling, also require a high-quality selection of consumables, the quality of which largely determines the success of an ideal lawn.
How and which line to choose for a trimmer?
Small-scale mechanization products offered today for small areas and for the care of large areas with difficult terrain, and these are mainly electric and gasoline trimmers have a working body in the form of a universal head, into the drum of which synthetic fishing line or vein is wound, as it is sometimes called.
How to change the spool & line and the spool cap on a Flymo grass trimmer
Basically, all manufacturers of this kind of equipment in the operating instructions indicate the parameters of the line. diameter. There is a similar indication on the spool, where the direction of winding of the line and its diameter are indicated.
However, today there are several types of trimmer line, which not only differ from each other in color, diameter and shape, but also have completely different characteristics.
The main parameters of the trimmer line
Manufacturers most often indicate the diameter of the line, and this is partly correct. the mowing head has holes with metal inserts of a certain inner diameter, into which it is impossible to insert a line of a larger diameter.
Thus, one of the parameters of the line is:
In many ways, the result of the trimmer’s work also depends on the shape of the line section. Conventionally, all types can be divided into two types. a round fishing line and a complex cross-section fishing line. a square, a rectangle, a star.
The most common line is the round line.
This is due to several factors:
- the production of a round thread is much cheaper than the production of a complex section;
- a round thread can withstand heavy loads. during mowing, the tip of the fishing line sharpens and, thus, an even, correct cut is obtained, similar to the cut of a hand braid;
- round line is consumed less than other types of line;
- round section is available in all types of product diameters from 1.4 mm to 3.3 mm inclusive.
Disadvantages of a round line:
- creates noise during operation, therefore, for especially gentle consumers who do not like to wear headphones, the manufacturer offers a round spiral line with low noise during operation;
- despite the presence in all types of sizes, round line is not suitable for mowing shrubs and dead wood, its main purpose is young green grass.
Square or rectangular fishing line:
- the main purpose. professional trimmers for haymaking on tall grass;
- the cut is made by the edges of the rectangle, as a result of which the mowing is smooth, without crushing the stems.
- sizes. from 2.4 mm to 3.3 mm.
How to Change a Line in a Homelite Electric Weed Eater
- high consumption when working on rocky areas, near hedges, trees. the line is quite fragile;
- mainly used on powerful electric and petrol trimmers.
- the main purpose is dry grass and small shrubs;
- sizes from 2.4 mm to 3.0 mm;
- some manufacturers make a two-component line to strengthen the line, when there is a metal core inside the line;
Of the minuses, it should be noted:
- high and very high cost (line with a metal core);
- requires a special trimmer coil or special disc;
- when mowing with such a line, it is not recommended to use the cut grass as feed for livestock.
Considering that trimmers have different power, and the intended purpose, manufacturers try to recommend different line thicknesses for different trimmer models.
For small electrical appliances designed to care for small areas of the lawn, the main buyers of which are housewives and the elderly, manufacturers recommend fishing line with a diameter of 1.4 to 2.4 mm.
For medium power electric scythes and petrol trimmers, which are needed to care for fairly large areas, manufacturers recommend a line between 2.4 mm and 3 mm.
Remove, Clean, and Replace Dewalt Brushless 20V String Trimmer Quick Spool Head
Professional units capable of working for several hours in a row, mowing grass in areas with difficult terrain, with shrubs and dry grass, a fishing line with a thickness of 3. 3.2 mm is recommended.
However, in general, the life of the fishing line does not depend on the shape or diameter of the thread, but on what composition it is made of. Most often, domestic manufacturers use nylon as the main material.
It is flexible enough, elastic, strong, amenable to deformation by stretching. Relatively easily tolerates heavy loads and high temperatures.
Nylon line is the cheapest in the price range, but this does not mean that it is of poor quality, if we take into account the price / quality / performance ratio, then nylon line will show a very decent result.
Coaxial, two-piece line will handle the most stress and is considered the strongest. Its secret is simple. a dense, even tough core and a rather elastic outer layer.
This combination allows the line to retain its properties for a long time and wear out gradually, much slower than nylon line.
A line with a metal central core was originally intended for professional work. mowing grass along highways, cleaning steep slopes, working on rocky areas.
And therefore it has an appropriate price, which is not quite suitable for working on a personal plot.
The main criterion for choosing a fishing line should be compliance with the diameter of the fishing line to the trimmer, its power, and capabilities.
It is not necessary to put the entire skein of fishing line into the spool, a small piece is enough to prevent spontaneous scattering of the working head, especially since to work with the trimmer it is necessary to select a fishing line in the range of sizes specified in the instructions. a light thread of small diameter is just as harmful to the tool as a thicker thread.
Trimmer line diameter
The main criterion for a trimmer line is its diameter. It can be 3.2, 3, 2.4, 2 or 1.6 mm. The thicker the line, the thicker the plants can be cut with the brushcutter. The most popular and common line diameter. 2 mm.
The thickness of the line should correspond to the power of the trimmer engine and match the parameters to your brushcutter model. For a low-power unit, a fishing line diameter of 1.3-1.6 mm is suitable, and for a device designed to work with soft and hard vegetation. 1.8-2 mm.
If you do not know which diameter to choose, check the product passport before purchasing. There the manufacturer indicates the optimal value of the diameter of the fishing line.
Trimmer line section
There are the following main types of line section:
– with sharp edges (star-shaped).
The cross-sectional shape of the line should correspond to the thickness of the vegetation being cut. Round line is required for lawn and young grass mowing. The pentahedral and square will be needed if the grass has become coarse, and weeds have appeared on the lawns.
Here the choice depends on the individual model and on the purpose of the trimmer. However, if you need to mow, for example, an old shrub, the line will not work for this, as it will break immediately. For such purposes, it is advisable to use a brushcutter equipped with a metal knife.
Trimmer line and reel: how to make the right choice
Trimmer coil modifications
Coils (heads) for the trimmer can be of various modifications. Single-line (with one line of fishing line) are suitable for trimming the lawn, and for clearing areas and mowing grass. two-string, with manual string length adjustment or automatic line feed.
Modern manufacturers are increasingly producing universal brushcutters with two-string automatic reels.
Trimmer line length
However, it is also possible to purchase a fishing line for a cut. It is suitable for those who use the braid infrequently, only for domestic purposes.
- Trimmer line and reel: how to make the right choice
- How to fill the line
- How to wind a line on a spool
Trimmer line and reel composition
The last criterion to pay attention to. the composition of the trimmer accessories. Brush cutter reels are made of plastic.
But the fishing line can be made from a wide variety of materials. Among them, nylon is worth noting. A fishing line made of this material is highly wear-resistant, capable of withstanding large temperature drops and increased loads. In addition, during long-term storage, nylon does not delaminate and does not lose its performance. All this directly affects the life of the line.
Top Trimmer Line Manufacturers
Below is a rating of line manufacturers whose products are of high quality and reliability.
Best trimmer line 2020
For a satisfying trimmer, it is important to choose the right line. We will analyze the main points of choosing this consumable, and also give a rating of the best manufacturers of fishing line in 2020.
- small consumption;
- large size range of skeins.
- thick section, not suitable for all trimmers;
- high price.
Which trimmer line is better to choose
Trimmer line varies in cross-sectional shape, type of material, thickness.
Types of fishing line by section shape:
- Round. universal, for young grass;
- Square for cutting tall or dry grass;
- Triangular is effective for dense young lawn grass;
- The star will cope with dry grass and even small branches of bushes;
- 6 or 7 migrants are suitable for working with weeds;
- Clover is not a very common section, although such a line is not noisy in operation and has a high resource;
- Oval copes even with hogweed, burdocks, installed on powerful mowers.
Straight and twisted lines are also distinguished. The second cuts better, is durable, works quietly. The only negative is that it is difficult to unwind from the reel.
As materials for the manufacture of fishing line, nylon or coaxial thread is used. Nylon line is the most common and readily available option. For hardening, its reinforcement is used. Such a line will cut not only grass, but also bushes.
The choice of line thickness for the trimmer depends on the type of tool. The required parameter is indicated in the instructions for the device. On average, low power electric and battery trimmers work with 1.5-2mm line thickness. For petrol trimmers, this parameter increases to 3 mm.
It is important to remember that if the manufacturer does not provide for the possibility of installing a knife, then you can only mow with a fishing line. Otherwise, the trimmer will break. The best trimmer line is the one that fits the tool.
The Chinese brand has taken a leading place in the production of equipment and materials for it. Among the consumables there is a fishing line. It is characterized by high strength and durability, while the line is inexpensive. The manufacturer CHAMPION has several series of lines. Round series with round section. It is yellow in color and has a diameter of 1.3-4 mm. The Star series comes in yellow in the shape of a star. The diameter is 1.6-3 mm. The Star line is very durable. Twisted Square. Red square twisted line. Has a diameter of 1.6-4.8 mm. The Square Twisted DUO series is also available with a square section. The line has a two-layer structure for even more durability. Its diameter is 2-3 mm. The Special Pro series is cruciform. The line is twisted and has a diameter of 2-3 mm. Nylplus Square. a series of square lines with a diameter of 2.4-3 mm. This line has sharp corners, its structure is two-layer. Nylplus Square line color. brown and black.
- low price;
- line diameter may be large for some trimmers.
A well-known manufacturer of country trimmers, as well as tools and spare parts for them. PATRIOT technology is distinguished by its ease of use and reliability. Fishing lines of this brand are bought mainly for summer cottages, as they are suitable for any brushcutter. In total, PATRIOT has 4 line lines. Yellow, orange and green have the same diameter. 1.6-3 mm. The yellow line has a twisted cut and is perfect for short grass. The orange line comes in a twisted square shape. This line will cope with thicker grasses and thickets. The green line is made in the shape of a star. It is suitable for cutting low and not dense grass to zero. Usually it is used to clean the area near the house. The black line is the thickest and strongest line. Its diameter is 2-3 mm. Cross-section of black line in the form of a square or saw. This line is designed for professional grass trimming.
- low cost;
- low consumption;
There were no drawbacks during operation.
A German brand with modern factories in China. However, the quality of production did not become worse from this. This made it possible to reduce the costs and cost of the final product. A distinctive feature of this manufacturer is the bright colors of the lines and high strength. STURM produces universal lines with a diameter of 1.6-4 mm. Fishing lines are produced both in spools and in specially cut strips. This allows you to use the line for absolutely any trimmer. Ease of use is the main goal of the STURM manufacturer. The most popular line of lines is the heptagonal line, which stands out from others for its strength and maximum performance. There is also another bestseller and this is the Metal Power line. Its peculiarity lies in the special reliability and the presence of a steel core inside the fishing line. In addition, the availability of coils of 500-700 m for sale is suitable for utilities.
- economical dimensions;
- special strength.
The downside is that the lines are not packed.
Method 1. how to properly wind the line or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to first prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is an easy way to find out the amount of line you need to refuel to charge the reel. To do this, wind the rig inside the coil until it is aligned with the side protrusions. In this case, the rigging should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the equipment used, the shorter its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly tuck the equipment into the trimmer or brushcutter is as follows:
- To begin with, a piece of fishing line that was prepared to be installed in a reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude more than the second by 10-15 cm
- After that, take the second end from the other side, and fold it in half. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
- There is a slot in the inner baffle of the coil, into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The cut in the wall is shown in the photo below.
- Next, we find out the direction of winding the line. If you wind the rig in the wrong direction, then it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the line and wind it in the correct direction, inspect the surface of the spool. The direction of winding should be indicated on it (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). What the direction indicator on the coil looks like is shown in the photo below.
- This arrow-shaped pointer can also have the designation, as in the example above “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is missing on the reel, then you need to look at the head. There is a direction of its rotation on the head, and in order to properly wind the line, wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow indicator. So, if the arrow is on the tip, then you need to wind in the indicated direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should start winding. Each end should be guided in its own groove. If there is no separator, then the equipment must be laid in the appropriate distribution order.
- When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you will need to do the following. place a short part in the hole of the side wall of the pickup, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then do the same procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- We insert the coil into the head, first passing the ends of the fishing line into the holes of the drum
- We put the drum in place and, by pulling the ends of the line, we disengage them from the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch engages.
- This completes the process of how to replace the fishing line on the trimmer, and if necessary, you can only trim the ends (if their length does not suit), and install the assembled drum on the tool
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is a second way, how to charge the mowing equipment in the brushcutter. What is the difference, and how is the second method of threading the line on the reel of the brushcutter carried out, we will find out in detail.
Method 2. how to properly put the line on the reel of the brushcutter with photo description and video
The second method differs from the first in that it is not a single piece of equipment that is charged into the coil, but segments from two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two lengths of line into the brushcutter is the same as with the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
- There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not there, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
- The brace of the fishing line should be hooked on the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is wound until a 10-15 cm segment remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the guide
- Manipulations with the second end of the fishing line are carried out in the same way.
- The protrusions are inserted into the holes of the head, and then, removing the equipment from the temporary fasteners in the reel, a cover with latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in a brushcutter will help not only correctly, but also quickly make the replacement procedure. Assembling the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Video instruction is presented below.
How to remove the spool from the trimmer and remove the line
Initially, remove the line from the trimmer spool before inserting it into the trimmer spool. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be dismantled with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other.
- After that, you can start dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your strength, but slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated.
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- Periodic removal of the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude the licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then special clamping pliers can be used to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to replace the trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
Learning to properly wind the line on the trimmer reel and petrol cutters installation instructions
Owners of private houses know how necessary this type of tool is, such as a trimmer. It can be gasoline and electric, but they differ in the design of power units. For cutting grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out during use, so how to wind the trimmer coil, we will consider in detail in the material.
How does the head with a fishing line work on a brushcutter why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a coil, which is fitted on the slots, which prevent its free movement.
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the splines in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is between 1 and 4 meters.
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure and continue cutting the grass
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this very moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
Instructions with a step-by-step description of how to wind the trimmer coil and petrol cutters
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip, which will not allow you to make mistakes with the use of the appropriate equipment.
If there is information on the reel about the diameter of the line you can fill in, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the rig, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all of them are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of brushcutters and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.
What you need to know about trimmer line
A fishing line is a consumable that is made of nylon and serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, the grass is cut, which is ensured by rotating the tool head at a high frequency. This material has a different thickness, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools, electric low-power (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2-2.4 mm) and gasoline trimmers with brushcutters (from 2.4 to 3. 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting equipment should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass cut, but also the service life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it is time to change and recharge the tool. With the onset of spring, this question is becoming more and more popular, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the trimmer reel.
Tips and tricks on how to wind the line and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and tricks that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for experienced mowers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injury and improper functioning of the mechanism. These guidelines read as follows:
- It is necessary to install the cover until it clicks. over, this is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of latches. If one of the latch does not snap into place, the drum may jump out when starting the tool and injure a person.
- Do not reel in the line with a strong pull, or more than you can insert it into place. It is better not to wind up the rig than there will be more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of the impossibility of unwinding it if necessary
- If you own a tool not with two line leads, but with one (usually these are low-power units), then the winding process is carried out in the same sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of a middle edge between the extreme bases of the coil
- After replacing the material, it is necessary to first check the operability of the tool, and after that start mowing the grass. If you do not make a preliminary check, then the scaffolding can unwind and injure a person
The result of the work done is as follows. after the replacement of the new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to cut thick-stemmed grass with fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this.