Threading The Trimmer Spool With Line
Filling the line into the trimmer The line feed system from the trimmer is manual, semi-automatic and automatic. Here is an example of how to thread the line into the trimmer (Trimmer BOSCH Art 30).
Material you can see
A little advice. Try not to let the line come into contact with hard objects when cutting. With this contact, the line will be cut. And since in this trimmer the line is not fed automatically, then every time you have to stop work, remove the reel and release the line again.
In addition to the standard lawn line, my trimmer has a thick line for cutting rough weeds. It has the shape of a pigtail, i.E. Three lines are tightly intertwined. This line has its own spool.
It is stored at the top of the trimmer body.
Preparing the trimmer spool for winding
Initially, as a rule, the coil is installed to the head of the device itself. The coil consists of two parts. A cover and a spring.
- Whatever company you have a trimmer, the preparation steps are the same for all types. Disassemble the device, or rather remove the coil from the trimmer head. To do this, press the latches located on the sides of the head body until it stops, and turn the head clockwise.
- To open the mowing head without problems, press the side latches; if you cannot do this with your hands, use a flat screwdriver to help. We take out the coil from the head.
- In order to choose the right line for your equipment, on the inside of the reel, numbers must be applied, which indicate the thickness and type of acceptable line. All designations are indicated, as a rule, in millimeters.
- If you did not find any numbers, then the maximum allowable line diameter can be determined by the through hole for inserting the line. The line should pass freely forward and backward.
The process of winding the line on a reel
- After all the preparatory steps, we need to correctly determine how exactly the fishing line will be washed on your device, by turning the lid or in the opposite direction.
- We measure out about 7 mm of cutting material and insert it into the hole of the bobbin with one end. It is worth noting that the line is wound exactly on the style mower model from both sides. The direction of winding the line in such models is indicated on the bobbin itself.
- The line is brought out to about 17 cm freely so that the ends can cut off the weeds. We add that it is not worth winding the line on a reel of great length. Leave about 5 mm from the line to the edge of the bobbin.
- The two ends of the line are inserted into the holes in the bobbin. Both of these ends must be securely attached to the device body.
- The springs removed from the coil (if any) are inserted in the same way as they were removed, i.E. Into the bobbin and the head body itself.
- To determine if you have correctly inserted the line into the trimmer, you need the element itself (bobbin) to be easily inserted into the head body of your device. If necessary, pull the free ends of the line outward. To achieve this, you need to pull the line out of the groove with a sharp movement through the holes in the bobbin.
So, let’s say you figured out how quickly, and most importantly, to correctly wind the line on the Stihl trimmer reel. All you have to do is insert everything correctly into the grooves and fix the main cover on the device. Then you can press on the bobbin itself and make counterclockwise movements until you feel the stop. If you do not feel the emphasis, then most likely you have not tucked the line correctly and you will have to start everything from scratch.
How to thread the line into the Stihl trimmer spool
The trimmer is one of the most common tools that you can use to quickly and easily trim grass, small shrubs, lawn grass and other weeds. It’s not a secret for anyone that in order for the mowing of grass to be successful, it is necessary to use the tool correctly and correctly handle the individual cutting elements.
In trimmers, it doesn’t matter what fuel they run on, special cutting attachments (knives, discs) are used, and some trimmers are supplied to the market in the heads of which such a cutting element as a fishing line is installed, and therefore many are wondering how to fill the line into the Stihl trimmer coil if there are no skills as such.
- Cutting attachments in the form of knives can be sharpened, but the fishing line (also cutting elements), but tends to be consumed. Below we will talk about how to properly thread the cutting element. Fishing line. Into the Stihl trimmer spool.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower with its head up and, grasping the cover, remove the special protective cover on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the next instructions.
The installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). Make sure that the line sits flat in the spool.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
- Find the notch inside the coil baffle. Gently thread the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. There should be an arrow on it.
- If the arrow-pointer could not be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. Inspect the coil head. It has a direction indicator. However, this is the direction of travel of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. Follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user has wound up almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before passing the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until a characteristic click is heard).
- Remained to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can trim it with scissors.
How do I wind the line around the Patriot trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. While changing your line is easy, you need to learn how to do it right. Changing the fishing line with proper skill will take no more than five minutes. You just have to constantly practice it. This article will walk you through changing the line using the Patriot trimmers as an example.
Although winding the line is a very simple task, many beginners can wind the line incorrectly. Below are the most common mistakes.
- Many people, when measuring the thread, think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less and, accordingly, they do not have enough line. Do not be afraid to measure out a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a rush, some people do not follow the threading grooves inside the spool and wind the thread randomly. This will cause the line to come out of the reel and may even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate line. This error is the most common. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the line, but also its type. You should not use the first line that comes across for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, you do not need to use a thread on young grass if you need to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until fully wound and collected. While this is obvious, some people do it in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon come out of working condition.
It is quite common for beginners to make mistakes, so you must follow the tips in this article.
How to wind line on a trimmer reel: key points
A gasoline or electric trimmer is an indispensable tool in the arsenal of a modern summer resident or owner of his own home.
Thanks to these gardening devices, even a large garden plot can be mowed with ease. After purchasing this tool and performing several mows, many people think about how to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool. For an inexperienced user, the first operation to replace it will seem problematic and time-consuming, since the developers often do not fully reflect the instructions for changing the line in the operating manual.
Winding the line to the trimmer
Measured and neat dismantling of the spool from the spit coil makes it possible to go directly to winding the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today there are several types of reels, depending on the number of line antennae and the methods of threading it:
- Trimmer head with one working mustache;
- A bobbin with two line antennae;
- Auto-winding reel.
Trimmer head with two antennae
After removing the spool from the reel body, we determine the number of strands for winding the line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but if carelessly threading into the twin groove, there will be operational problems. Due to the likelihood of interlacing adjacent lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after wear of the working antennae, it is impossible to remove new ones.
Regardless of the number of streams, a fishing line with a length of 1.5 to 3 meters is taken for refueling. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will lead to the fact that the line will not be removed from the reel. After the fishing line is tucked into the trimmer coil, thread the free ends (15-30 cm) into special holes. Next, we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the operability. Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer, the knife installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
How to insert line into the trimmer?
Filling the mowing reel with cutting thread for a trimmer is not difficult, but novice gardeners will have to practice a little in order to be able to quickly insert the cord into an existing utility trimmer in the future.
There are several ways to refuel the trimmer cutter head. The first method is the simplest and works well for beginner gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the spool in the following sequence:
- First, you need to rewind about 6 m of trimmer line from a common spool, and then cut the resulting segment in half. As a result, you should get 2 threads, each 3 m long;
- Then, at one of the ends of the first segment, you will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located in the upper part of the spool;
- Next, you need to start winding the line on the spool in the direction indicated by the arrow. During winding, you need to make sure that the line lies evenly on the surface of the spool and does not go beyond its upper section. You do not need to wind the segment to the end, about 15 cm of thread should remain in your hands;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord will need to be inserted into one of the recesses located at the top of the spool;
- Further, the same procedure will need to be done with the second piece of fishing line. It will need to be wound around the lower section of the spool;
- As in the first case, you do not need to wind the line all the way to the bottom section. The remaining piece of thread will need to be inserted into the second notch of the bobbin.
After the completed operation, the coil will need to be installed on the trimmer and wound up. To check the reliability of the thread attachment, you will need to push the throttle lever all the way so that the engine reaches maximum speed. If the line does not fly out of the head, then the line is held securely and will not fly out of the mowing reel when mowing the grass.
How to wind the line on the trimmer spool?
You need to wind the trimmer cord in the following order:
- First, you need to cut off about 6 m of the total cord, and bend it. In this case, one of the parts should be slightly larger than the second;
- Then the thread, where it was bent, will need to be inserted into the recess located on the dividing face between the two sections of the bobbin. As a result, the first part of the segment should be in the upper, and the second. In the lower section of the bobbin;
- After that, you need to start winding the fishing line. This should be done in the direction of the arrow indicated on the spool body. The cord must not intertwine during winding. The top of the cut should be wrapped neatly over the top and the bottom over the bottom of the bobbin. After that, two 15-centimeter pieces of cord should remain free;
- Further, the remaining ends will need to be inserted into the recesses located at the top of the spool;
- Then the fastened ends must be pushed into the through holes of the trimmer cutter head.
In the end, you need to connect all parts of the mowing head, and pull each end of the line towards you a little. The finished coil will need to be installed on the trimmer and continue to work on the site.
What is the best trimmer line?
When choosing a fishing line, you need to consider several of its parameters.
The list of the main characteristics of the cutting cord includes:
- Line thickness. On the market most often there are threads, the thickness of which is in the range of 1.2–4 mm. Thin cord, no more than 1.6 mm thick, is intended for trimmers whose power does not exceed 0.8 liters. From. Most often, this cord is used in cases where the farm has a low-power trimmer with a line and a knife. Cords up to 2 mm to 2.6 mm in diameter are used for trimmers from 1 to 1.8 liters. From. These lines are able to successfully remove not only freshly grown, but also quite old dried vegetation. Thick lines, from 3 mm in diameter, are designed for use with lawn mowers with a capacity of at least 3 liters. From. Cord with this thickness shows itself well when mowing large and dense wild vegetation;
- Shape of the trimmer cord. A lot depends on this factor, since when mowing the grass, the thread does not cut the stems, but repeatedly hits them. It is the shape of the thread that affects the speed of mowing the grass and the accuracy of the mowing line of its cut. Most often, you can find round lines on the market. This cord is suitable for cutting all types of vegetation. Slightly less common on the market is a square thread. It is best at removing large, hard stems and is often used for cutting wild bushes. There is also a star line on the market. It stands out for its low invasiveness for grass, so it is best used for the care of decorative natural lawns;
- Material. In most cases, manufacturers use nylon, polypropylene and polyamide for the production of cutting cord. Cheaper trimmer cords are made of nylon with polyethylene additives, which significantly reduces the thread’s resistance to wear and temperature.
Also, when choosing a cord, you need to take into account the type of equipment that will be used to work on the site. If the household uses electric trimmers with a fishing line and a knife, then it is best to equip them with thin round cords that create a minimum load on the electric motor. If a powerful lawn mower is used to care for the site, then you can confidently use a thread with any thickness and section to work with it, including homemade fishing lines from a plastic bottle. The load on the gasoline engine, in these cases, will be almost imperceptible.