Tools for cutting metal in hard-to-reach places
Our selection of cutting tools for profiled sheeting, metal roofing tiles and sheet metal roofing on the Nedvio website
The need to cut profiled sheeting may arise in the construction of complex shape roofing or the device of joining. The quality of metal processing will depend on the tool. It is important to retain the original geometry of the sheet and do not damage the protective layer.
When choosing a tool for cutting corrugated board, you need to consider the planned amount of work and the availability of electricity at the site. The hand tool will be optimum for a small amount of work.
In appearance, electric scissors look like an ordinary angle grinder.The design of electric shears includes the following elements:
- The housing with the motor inside. Their shape is elongated, so they fit snugly in the palm of the hand. On models with a heavy, powerful motor, an auxiliary handle is added to the housing for convenience. No matter what tool type or price, body is always made of impact resistant plastic.
- Multistage gearbox. In charge of converting the rotary motion of the motor into reciprocating movement of the cutting head. Made of metal.
- Work unit. Contains blades or a die and punch necessary for cutting metal.
- Metal face shield. Protects the operator’s hand from contact with the sharp edge of the workpiece.
- Electric cord for power supply to tool.
Working with electric shears is not different from working with standard shears. Operator guides cutting head smoothly along defined cutting line from starting point to end point. General rule: arm speed should be matched to metal cutting speed.
Accuracy and neatness of the cut on any electric grass shears depends solely on the experience and skill of the operator.
Metal cutting tool, cutting rules
Hello readers and visitors to the blog. Before building a house we often face the choice of what tool for metal cutting will be better to buy. the choice is now rich, and there are many different companies. With the right metal cutting, you can make independent metal blanks, as well as metal parts, which will then be chased, forged or safely drilled.
The choice of cutting tool depends on the hardness and thickness of the metal. For example, metal shears are good for cutting thin sheets of metal.
When hand cutting metal sheets with a thickness of 4-7 mm you should use a jigsaw or electric scissors. It is better to cut steel pipes with a metal hacksaw.
Hand tools for cutting metal
When using a hacksaw, make sure that it has the blade that is designed specifically for cutting metal. Otherwise you will be disappointed.
The metal blade must be firmly clamped in the frame of the hacksaw.
[su_note note_color=”#535353″ text_color=”#fff”]Note: the cutting blade is properly tensioned if it has not sagged when pressed from the side. Otherwise you have to tighten it with the thumbscrew. but do not overdo it. it might tear the threads.[/su_note]
Cutting metal profiles with an electric jigsaw
Manual cutting of metal sheets of sufficient thickness is made with an angle grinder (angle grinder). A special cutting blade marked METAL is mounted on it, do not be confused. First the support washer is put on the spindle, then the cutting disc is placed. Don’t forget to wear protective goggles and gloves.
[su_note note_color=”#535353″ text_color=”#fff”]Warning: very often, especially when cutting thick metal, the cutting disc “hits” and the fastening nut is strongly tightened. To prevent this, a gasket ring cut from thick paper should be inserted between the disk and the tightening nut. If it is tightened too much to make it impossible to loosen the tightening nut, carefully break the blade down to the bottom of the tightening nut. Take the metal blade, direct the cutting part of the blade into the aperture of the tightened cutting blade remnants. Again, carefully, by periodically turning on the angle grinder, saw out the rest of the cutting disc.[/su_note]
The angle grinder always comes with a side handle for more convenient manual cutting. Don’t forget to use it.
Securing the workpieces
When hand-cutting metal sheets with an electric jigsaw or metal scissors, the workpiece should be placed on a flat, wide surface and secured with wire clamps. And when cutting workpieces with a metal saw, always fix the workpiece in a vise.
Never saw a work piece on your lap, in your hands or by weight. This causes breakage of the cutting blade and often results in injury.
Metal cutting process
When manually cutting metal with scissors the plane of the workpiece must be positioned clearly perpendicular to the area of the cutting edges of the scissors. The scissor blades should not be spread more than ¾ of their entire length. When cutting do not bring the blade all the way down. it tears the metal at the cut points.
When cutting metal workpieces over 1mm thick, it is better to use straight hand scissors for metal, clamping one handle in a bench vice and pushing the other handle from above.
Cutting sheet metal with a pair of scissors
In addition to straight metal scissors, there are also scissors with curved blades. These scissors are convenient for cutting out details of more complicated shape, holes.
When working with a hacksaw for metal, all movements should be made smoothly without sudden movements. Try to use most of the cutting blade. Do not tilt it sideways.
[su_note note_color=”#535353″ text_color=”#fff”]Note: When manually cutting steel pipes, it is better to use a special pipe cutter rather than a hacksaw. It produces a better cut than a hacksaw.[/su_note]
When cutting steel workpieces with a jigsaw, the number of operating cycles should be set at no more than 1000 per minute. Otherwise, when cutting faster, the cutting blade will fail quickly due to overheating.
To obtain a flatter edge of the workpiece, use the special ruler that comes with the PEM.
If the jigsaw blade is in excellent condition, the cutting proceeds smoothly, without effort. If, however, you have to exert some effort while cutting, the blade is blunt and should be replaced with another.
When cutting steel workpieces with PEM or other cutting tools on the edge of the workpiece are formed metal burrs. Therefore, all work should be carried out strictly with work gloves.
The picture shows how to position your hands and the hacksaw correctly
So, here we looked at the most basic tool for metal cutting, and reviewed the basic principles of metal cutting work. Of course there are much more tools, there are a lot of different nuances, and I think we will come back to this topic. And ahead we have a similar article, but only for wood drilling. Until we meet again.
The tool for cutting metal, the rules for cutting
Hello readers and visitors to the blog. Before building a house we often face the choice what tool for cutting metal will be better to buy. the choice is now rich, and there are many different companies. With proper metal cutting, you can make independent metal blanks as well as metal parts that will then be chased, forged, or safely drilled.
The choice of cutting tool depends on the hardness and thickness of the metal. For cutting thin sheets of metal, for example, a pair of metal shears is sufficient.
When hand-cutting metal sheets with a thickness of 4-7 mm, you should use a jigsaw or electric scissors. It is better to cut steel pipes with a metal hacksaw.
Hand tools for cutting metal
When using a hacksaw, you need to make sure that it has a blade that is designed specifically for cutting metal. Otherwise you will be disappointed.
The metal blade must be firmly clamped in the frame of the hacksaw.
[su_note note_color=”#535353″ text_color=”#fff”]Note: The cutting blade is properly tensioned if it is not deflected when pressed from the side. Otherwise it is necessary to tighten the tightening screw, but do not overdo it. there is a chance to tear the thread.[/su_note]
Cutting metal profiles with an electric jigsaw
Manual cutting of metal sheets of sufficient thickness is done with an angle grinder (angle grinder). It is fitted with a special cutting disk marked METAL, do not be confused. Put the support washer on the spindle first, then place the cutting blade. Do not forget to wear safety glasses and gloves.
[su_note note_color=”#535353″ text_color=”#fff”]Warning: very often, especially when cutting thick metal, the cutting disk “kicks” and the mounting nut is tightened too much. To avoid this, a gasket ring, specially cut from thick paper, should be inserted between the disk and the tightening nut. If the nut is too tight to loosen, carefully break the blade down to the bottom of the tightening nut. Take a metal blade, point the cutting part of the blade into the opening of the tightened cutting disk residue. Again, carefully, by periodically turning on the angle grinder, saw out the rest of the cutting disc.[/su_note]
The angle grinder always comes with a side handle for easier manual cutting. Do not forget to use it.
Securing the workpieces
When cutting metal sheets by hand using a jigsaw or metal scissors, place the workpiece on a flat, wide surface and secure it with wire clamps. When cutting blanks with a metal saw always hold the workpiece in a vise.
Never saw workpieces on your lap, in your hands, or by weight. It causes breakage of the cutting blade and often leads to injuries.
Metal cutting process
When hand cutting metal with a pair of scissors, the plane of the workpiece must be positioned perfectly perpendicular to the cutting edges of the scissors. Do not extend the scissor blades more than ¾ of their full length. Do not fold the blade all the way down when cutting. it can break metal where it will be cut.
When cutting a metal workpiece with a thickness of more than 1 mm, it is better to use manual straight metal scissors, clamping one handle in a bench vice and pressing from above with the other handle.
Cutting metal sheet with metal shears
In addition to straight scissors for metal, there are scissors with curved blades. These scissors are good for cutting more complicated shapes, holes.
When working with a metal sheet metal saw, all movements should be made smoothly without jerking. Try to use the most part of the cutting blade. Do not tilt it sideways.
[su_note note_color=”#535353″ text_color=”#fff”]Note: When manually cutting steel pipes, it is better to use a special pipe cutter rather than a hacksaw. When cutting it, the cut is of higher quality than that of a hacksaw.[/su_note]
When cutting steel workpieces with a jigsaw, the number of operating cycles should be set at no more than 1000 per minute. Otherwise, if you move too fast, the cutting blade will break down quickly because of overheating.
To get a flatter edge of the workpiece, use the special ruler that comes with the PEM.
If the cutting blade of the jigsaw is in good condition, the cutting proceeds smoothly and without effort. If, however, you have to exert some effort while cutting, then the cutting blade is blunt and should be replaced with another.
When cutting steel workpieces with a PEM or other cutting tools, metal burrs form on the edge of the workpiece. Therefore, all work should be carried out strictly in work gloves.
The figure shows how to position your hands and a hacksaw
So, here we looked at the most basic tool for cutting metal, and reviewed the basic principles of metal cutting. Of course, there are many more tools, there are many different nuances, and I think we will return to this topic. And ahead we have a similar article, but only drilling wood. See you later.
Advantages and disadvantages of the scissor blade for cutting metal and metal tiles
Using a special hand-held power tool attachment to cut metal has a number of advantages over other processing methods:
- Achieve the desired cut quality through repetitive reciprocating eccentric motions.
- No need for frequent replacement of consumables.
- Increased productivity.
- Versatility, because only by changing the nozzle, it is possible to carry out all the necessary manipulations with the material.
- Easy operation and maintenance.
- The nozzle can be used with pneumatic and electric devices.
- Produce any shape of cut.
- Affordable price.
Metal accessories have only two disadvantages. The first is the need for skill and practice to obtain a smooth cut and increase the efficiency of use. The second disadvantage is the possibility of working only with two hands, which is inconvenient for some types of work.
For your information! The instructions for use of metal tile sets a ban on its processing with an angle grinder, so the purchase of the nozzle will be the only option to keep the warranty.
Which drill or screwdriver attachment for metal cutting is best to buy: a review of the best models
Despite the wide range of accessories, there are models that have managed to gain popularity among consumers due to their performance and low cost while maintaining quality.
Metal cutting bit “Cricket
Many specialists, who by the nature of their work perform work on cutting, are well aware of the domestic development called “Cricket”. According to the principle of operation, the device resembles a punching scissors. Two cutting heads allow you to achieve a smooth cut on any surface. Buy “Cricket” for cutting metal when you need to carry out one-time work on the horizontal or vertical cutting, as well as the creation of internal cuts. They can be used for processing rough materials.
Feedback on the “Cricket” nozzle:
Read more on Otzovik: https://otzovik.com/review_6555343.html
To note! When comparing the speed of the work with the nozzle and the angle grinder, it is worth noting that the second option is inferior to the first. Also after the angle grinder leaves an uneven edge, which requires further processing.
Metal cutting scissor attachment “Steel Beaver”
Another well-known to many nozzle, which is used in the production of tin works, is also a Russian development. “Steel Beaver. It also applies the principle of conventional metal scissors. Externally, this device is represented by the supporting part, which is located on the bed and the movable area connected with the eccentric. Also among the mandatory elements. a handle fixed perpendicular to the axis of rotation. To use the accessory, the power tool must have the following characteristics:
Buy a metal cutting drill bit “Beaver” for the price of 1900.
Feedback on the scissor head:
Read more on Ozovik: https://otzovik.com/review_6440586.html
Among other models of devices that can be found on the market, also note the products of the following brands:
Rothenberger Robolt 75013. scissors designed for manual cutting of reinforcing bars of reinforcing and structural steel, rebar types I, II, III, IV and steel wire. The tool belongs to the class of professional.
- the scissor jaws are made of vanadium-manganese steel with additional induction hardening, which gives the hardness class HRC 55/60;
- Cuts bar reinforcing steel up to 10 mm in diameter;
- wear resistance;
- Rubber covers on the handles do not allow the tool to slip;
Hitachi CN16SA is used for cutting sheets of common and stainless steel, aluminum, copper in both straight and left- and right-hand paths. Such functions are provided by changing three positions.
Processes sheets of varying thicknesses with a cutting width of 5mm:
- The minimum radius of machining is 40 mm;
- Cooling of the motor through an integrated ventilation system;
- versatility of cutting in both transverse and longitudinal directions;
- cutting speed of 2300 strokes/min;
- Possibility to process sheet with a trapezoidal profile;
- double insulation;
- long electric cable;
- slide switch;
- streamlined, narrow body with rubber pads.
- It is difficult to find expendable materials. dies and punches. on sale. Similar accessories on order only.
- No protection against unintentional tool activation.
- During operation, spiked chips are generated.
Cutting with a gas cutter
Technology involves impact on material with a directional jet of burning gas. Because of the low cost of the equipment, this method is of interest to those who are interested in the best way to cut metal at home or in small businesses. Practically no restrictions in terms of workpiece thickness. However, there are significant disadvantages:
- Low quality of the cut, which requires additional processing of parts.
- Large heating zone, which promotes deformations.
- Higher material consumption.
- The need to carefully observe safety precautions. Only specialists who have been properly trained and know how to cut metal with a gas torch are allowed to work.
All this limits the application of the technique.
Oxygen cutting equipment
Since acetylene is often used for work, it is not uncommon to take plants for acetylene welding as equipment for oxygen cutting. Instead of welding torches there are used gas torches. The most common choice is an injection-style torch.
The construction of the torches is quite different from that of torches. They have additional tubes, through which the cutting oxygen is supplied, and tips with small holes for the mixture of gases. The central orifice is provided for feeding of the cutting oxygen.
Figure 4. Scheme of the oxygen cutting unit
operating principle of oxyfuel cutting machines:
- the workpiece is placed horizontally, the torch valves are closed;
- the oxygen valve opens and then the fuel gas valve;
- the mixture is ignited and controlled in terms of power;
- the metal is heated by the cutting area;
- the cutting oxygen valve is opened, activating combustion when the heated metal is reached;
- Oxides appear in the process and are removed by a stream of oxygen;
- at the end of work firstly the valve of cutting oxygen is closed, then the valve of flammable gas, and finally the valve of burner is closed.
The main tool of the oxygen cutting set is the torch. There are classifications of these elements:
- according to the type of combustible gas (torches for liquid combustible mixtures, acetylene, gas-substitutes);
- degrees of automation (manual, machine);
- the purpose (special and multi-purpose);
- gas mixing (non-injector and injector);
- Power of flame (high, medium, low).
How to use
A retractor is more suitable for home use than for professional tasks, because it is compact and comfortable to use.
To work with it, have professional skills or special talents. no need.
The only thing you need to know before you start using it is the wide variety of nozzles.
Grinding surfaces, cutting metal or sawing wooden workpieces with the Renovator will perform even a beginner in the construction business.
When using a Renovator, it is not so important what the force of pressure, angle of inclination or power with revolutions. It is easy to determine the optimum performance for each material by yourself during use. If there are doubts in your own strength, you can simply find a video on the Internet with an example of MFI use and repeat all the actions yourself.
If you need to change attachments, do it with an Allen wrench or a special quick-clamping mechanism. You can find out how it works by reading the technical manual for the device. If there is a regulator on the renovator, then the speed of work with the number of revolutions can also be found in the instructions for the device.
Important! It is very easy to use a multi-tool, so any recommendations are only helpful at the beginning of training. Problem solving efficiency and proficiency come with experience.
Examples of nozzles usage
Most often the Renovator is used for sawing, cutting, sanding, and removing unnecessary parts of dried up mixture. To be most effective, you should use separate accessories for each type of work: metal, concrete, wood, etc.п. The accessories that are used for each type are described below.
If you use the Renovator for sawing, the boards will be smooth, even, without the presence of small nicks.
If the total amount of work is modest, it is also possible to use MFI successfully for sawing, undercutting or making holes in the material.
The attachments that are designed to work on wood are also great for linoleum, drywall or plastic.
Sanding and polishing
If a modest-sized surface needs to be treated, the Renovator is perfect for the task. It can also be used to remove layers of dried paint, polish car bodies, or wood surfaces. Sanding pads are made in the shape of a triangle with a special sanding pad on top. Also, the sanding pad can have small slots in it for better evacuation of debris when using a vacuum cleaner.
The renozzle can also be used successfully during the removal of parts of dried-up mixtures instead of a chisel or spatula. This is possible thanks to its vibration function. Using the special semi-circle-shaped concrete-cutting nozzle, joints between tiles can be quickly deburred. A shrunken trowel is used to cut off pieces of linoleum or remove some of the putty from walls. Of course, if you need to perform a large amount of work (for example, to treat an entire wall), the Renovator is not suitable. It is better to use it for inaccessible places or on especially problematic areas.
It’s handy to cut metal with the Renovator with special HSS bits. They’ll help when trimming nails or self-tapping screws, sawing off a pipe, or cutting out small parts of the car body. Steel bits for wood, plastic or drywall are also permitted.
Examples of how to use the bits
The most common use of a renovator is for sawing, cutting, sanding, and removing excess parts of the dried mixture. For the best performance it is worth using separate nozzles for each type of work: for metal, concrete, wood, etc.п. The accessories that can be used for each type are described below.
If you use a renozzler for sawing, the boards will be smooth, even, and without any small nicks.
If your scope of work is modest, you can also use the MFI successfully for sawing, trimming, or making holes in the material.
The pads designed for wood are also great for sanding linoleum, drywall, or plastic.
Sanding and polishing
If a modest-sized surface needs to be machined, the Renovator is ideal for the task. It can also be used for removing dried paint, polishing car bodies or wood surfaces. The sanding pads are triangular in shape and have a special abrasive layer glued on top. Also, the sanding attachment can have small slots for better drainage of debris while working with a vacuum cleaner.
Removal of mortars
The Renovator can also be used successfully during removal of parts of dried mixtures instead of a chisel or trowel. This is possible thanks to its vibrating function. Using the special semi-circle-shaped concrete nozzle, you can quickly grind joints between tiles. Reduced spatula is used to cut pieces of linoleum or remove some of the putty from the walls. Of course, if you need to perform a large amount of work (for example, to process an entire wall), the Renovator is not suitable. It’s best used in hard-to-reach places or in particularly problematic areas.
It is convenient to cut metal with the Renovator with special bits made of high-speed steel. They will help when cutting nails or self-tapping screws, sawing off a pipe, as well as when cutting out small parts of the car body. Steel nozzles for wood, plastic or drywall are also permitted.
How to choose
The purchase of this tool should be treated with special care. When choosing a renovator for the home should not be guided by the advice of acquaintances or the appearance of the device. It is better to pay attention to the main characteristics of the device:
- Power. This is the value you want to focus on first of all. Power directly affects the effectiveness of the tool in the interaction with different surfaces (hard wood, concrete, metals). If the tool is planned to be used for processing soft material, then a power of 150-200 W will be enough. If you need it for work with hard surfaces, choose the 250-300 watt version.
- Frequency of oscillation. This characteristic affects the speed of work and the accuracy of the result. As a minimum indicator on renovators usually make 6 thousand vibrations per minute. Maximal value reaches 34 thousand oscillations. The devices with the oscillation frequency of 20-22 thousand per minute are most often purchased for domestic use.
- Speed regulator. This feature is present in most modern models of the tool. Some of them are additionally equipped with a power button, the operation of which depends on the force of pushing. The harder the button is pressed into the body of the rotary tool, the more it swings. This function helps to process different material densities more effectively. For example, for sawing wood, the maximum working speed comes in handy. It is recommended to cut plastic at medium speed, but for metal surfaces it is better to set this indicator to the minimum level. When buying, be sure to pay attention to the presence of an adjustable button.
- Maintaining constant speed. If the tool is subjected to heavy loads during operation, it can cause the mechanism to stop or slow down. This feature allows you to maintain the necessary speed even when working with difficult areas. Constant electronics are built into the renoverb to ensure a constant oscillation speed. It is especially useful if you intend to work actively with wooden surfaces.
- Attachment of the nozzle. There are two types of mounts available for the Renovator. The first of them involves fixing the head manually with a wrench, and the second involves using a special quick-clamping device. When buying, you can safely choose a model with the first type of attachment, if you do not plan to change the tool frequently. The quick-clamping device is useful only when you are actively working and constantly switching bits.
- Features of the groove. Many manufacturers make nozzles for their tools with different types of fastening. Because of this, some of them may not fit into other brands of renovers. Bosh recently suggested using the same OIS mounts on all their machines. It’s better to choose this option when buying if you’re afraid that the nozzle won’t fit. In addition, the system allows you to use the tool at different angles of the blade.
- Battery power. Renovators are battery operated, which makes them more mobile and independent of external factors. Two types of battery-operated tools are sold in stores: compact (fits easily in the handle of the device) and standard (more powerful and heavy). Smaller batteries quickly run out of juice because of their low capacity, but they don’t weigh as much and are therefore easier to use. Their power is unlikely to work effectively on concrete or metal. The bigger models weigh twice as much (about 2 kg with the tool), but they can handle heavy work with ease. It is necessary to make a choice based on the intended use of the tool.
- Additional equipment. Efficient operation also depends on the ease of use. Often an extra handle for the second hand is included with the Renovator. Manufacturers also offer a built-in flashlight for working in the dark and a dip stop. It comes in especially handy when working with wood. For easy transportation models are equipped with a small plastic case or lightweight bag. These features are secondary, but can simplify the performance of tasks.
Often the buyer is faced with the question, what country of origin should be chosen? There is no definite answer, because the tool’s durability depends on how and how often it is used. Some craftsmen praise Chinese models for their affordability and durability, while others criticize popular foreign manufacturers for the rapid breakdown of equipment.
Important! No matter what model the customer chooses, he should always refer to safety rules when using it. Failure to comply with elementary recommendations leads to a breakdown of the equipment and serious injury.
Renovator is a versatile tool that will help with a huge number of tasks during construction. When buying it, it is better to contact a consultant, who will help you choose a tool with the best characteristics at a reasonable price. It is best to buy the Renovator from an authorized dealer, this will allow you to get a warranty. When buying a tool on the aftermarket, there is a great chance of coming across a counterfeit.