Trimmer Does Not Start Causes And Remedies
Funny Pencil. Gasoline trimmer won’t start: causes and remedies
Given the specifics of using gasoline trimmers, their owners often have to deal with certain problems. One of the most common troubles is that the lawn mower won’t start or gain momentum. For the fastest and most effective elimination of such a problem, you should have an idea of the main causes of possible malfunctions.
As practice shows, gasoline trimmers stop starting or function normally after winter, that is, long-term seasonal storage. Before further attempts to run the tool, thorough diagnostics should be performed to determine the source of the problem. At the moment, there are several most common causes of malfunction.
- Initially, it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel. Saving in such cases can have extremely negative consequences. Experienced lawn mower owners and experts advise preparing a mixture, the volume of which will correspond to the forthcoming work, since its surplus quickly loses its qualities.
- Trimmers of such famous brands as, for example, Husgvarna, Makita, Stihl, are very sensitive to the fuel used. It is about the quality of the fuel and the octane number. Providing suitable operating conditions and extending the service life of equipment will allow refueling with high-quality gasoline.
- At the moment of starting the engine of the lawn mower, it may stall due to the fact that it fills the spark plug. Often in such situations you have to deal with the need to adjust the carburetor. It is worth noting that similar problems arise when the braid stops getting hot.
- Sometimes the tool cannot be started, although the plug is wet, which in turn indicates that the fuel mixture has entered the combustion chamber. As a rule, this is one of the symptoms that there is no spark. The reasons may be the lack of normal contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire, or drying out of the threaded connection in the spark plug channel.
- If there are no problems with the spark, and at the same time the candle itself remains dry, then most often this indicates that gasoline is not being pumped. There may be several reasons for this situation. We are talking, in particular, about the condition of the fuel filter and carburetor.
- The internal combustion engine of the streamer does not start or immediately after starting it stops working, which may be due to clogging of the air filter, which prevents the normal supply of air necessary to enrich the mixture.
In addition to all of the above, trimmer owners have to face more serious troubles. One of these is the wear of the piston group. In such cases, entrust to professionals, which will significantly reduce costs and extend the life of the tool.
complex reasons for lawn mowers failure
If the step-by-step troubleshooting algorithm does not work, and your scythe still does not start or stalls, it is worth inspecting the carburetor and the engine itself. A clogged carburetor can be one of the reasons for erratic tool performance. There are three main problems here:
- Clogged ducts or nozzles. All this is cleaned by special washes or blown by a powerful jet of compressed air from the compressor. Do not use needles and wires, as the bore may be damaged;
- Worn carburetor gasket. Exit. replacement of a failed gasket;
- Violation of tightness. To check this indicator, you can use an ordinary household tonometer, replacing it with a suitable pressure gauge. Watch the readings: if they do not change, everything is fine, but if the pressure starts to fall, then some part of the carburetor is faulty. We’ll have to find it and replace it with a new one.
If everything is in order with the carburetor, then the petrol trimmer may not start due to wear of the piston group. If chips, scratches or scuffs are found, the piston or cylinder should be replaced. Piston rings are subject to mandatory checks. A small backlash of the piston when rocking the connecting rod indicates that it is time to change the rings. This procedure is best entrusted to the specialists of the service center.
Another common reason a trimmer won’t start is a blockage in the filter area. To confirm the guess, it is enough to dismantle the indicated block and try to start the unit without it. If the trimmer engine starts, most likely you will have to replace the air filter or at least thoroughly purge the old one. If there is heavy dirt on the surface of the filter element, a new mesh must be used. When resorting to such actions, do not leave the suction pipe completely without a filter. After all, haste in this case can lead to the need to repair the entire piston group of the engine unit.
From a technical point of view, trimmers can be classified as complex devices. Based on this, it is strongly recommended to carefully study the corresponding instructions before using them. However, in practice, many ignore it, often later find themselves in situations where the gasoline trimmer does not start or picks up poorly during operation. It should be noted that similar problems can be encountered when acquiring new models of equipment.
One of the most common causes of such symptoms is a long seasonal break in the operation of equipment. In addition, poor-quality and untimely maintenance can lead to extremely negative consequences. It is important to remember that this is true both for Chinese lawn mowers and for representatives of the lineup of famous brands.
The key to effective and prompt repair will, of course, be a competent diagnosis of the device. In the process of troubleshooting, you will have to inspect and test, first of all, key elements. The list of these includes candles, a tank, filter units and fuel system valves. As practice shows, very often malfunctions of these particular elements become the reason that the lawn mower does not start. The quality and correctness of the preparation of the fuel mixture deserves special attention, especially when it comes to two-stroke engines. With regard to this parameter, the manufacturer’s recommendations should be strictly followed in order to avoid serious breakdowns and expensive repair work. In the case, for example, with a piston group of internal combustion engines, costs can be up to 70 percent of the cost of new technology.
Often, trimmer owners have to deal with situations where the specified mixture is of high quality, the carburetor is in good working order and configured, and the device still does not show signs of life when trying to start the engine. In such cases, you should check the condition of the candle. The following steps will troubleshoot the problem:
- Unscrew the candle;
- Wipe and dry the part (annealing is undesirable);
- Remove fuel and dry the spark plug channel for 30–40 minutes; such actions will avoid flooding the candle with the next start-up attempt;
- Completely eliminate traces of carbon deposits using a file or sandpaper;
- Set the appropriate gap;
- Put the candle back in place.
If the candle turns out to be working and the seat is completely dry, and the scythe engine does not start, then the threads should be moistened with gasoline. It is worth remembering that, regardless of the quality of the spark that is emitted, initially there is simply nothing to ignite in a completely dry chamber. Faced with the fact that the spark does not come, it is worth paying attention to checking the contact between the high-voltage wiring and the spark plugs. If this connection turns out to be of good quality, then it will be necessary to check the performance of the ignition system control unit. In such cases, it is unlikely that it will be possible to do without the services of a qualified specialist.
The next step in diagnosing a gasoline streamer will be to check the condition of the filters. Often, the lawn mower does not start well or does not start at all on a cold one due to the clogged air filter. You can identify this malfunction by excluding it from the system. If after that the braid starts up, then you will have to clean or change this element. Experienced users strongly recommend periodically purging the air filter to maximize its useful life.
The described tool may also fail to start due to problems with the supply of gasoline caused by a dirty fuel filter. To quickly and effectively eliminate such a breakdown, you just need to replace the filter element with a new one. It is important to remember that the suction inlet must be equipped with a filter, as provided by all instructions. Failure to comply with these rules and recommendations can lead to expensive piston repairs. In the process of diagnosing and searching for the source of problems with starting the mower, attention should be paid to the breather, which is responsible for stabilizing the pressure equalization in the fuel tank. In addition, it is necessary to check the cleanliness of the exhaust duct and the muffler mesh. As a rule, such problems are most often encountered when troubleshooting old models.
Flooded engine lawn mowers.
If at least some spark discharge on the electrodes is still possible on a wet candle, then a spark discharge on a “flooded” candle will be impossible. We hear about “flooded” candles more often than about “flooded” engines. It is even difficult for many to imagine such an engine until they personally encounter it.
A wet spark plug or a flooded candle is the main symptom of either an inoperative spark plug, the absence of high voltage on the spark plug electrodes, or an over-enrichment of the fuel mixture supplied to the engine working chamber.
Additionally, this includes cases with poor quality fuel, low high voltage and poor compression ratio. As a rule, one thing entails some other manifestations and you can easily get confused in determining the main, root cause of the malfunction.
We got into our hands another lawn mower, or a gas trimmer, where they could not start the engine. Even no recommendations from the observers and “friendly” neighbors helped. We replaced the spark plugs with new ones, but there was no result, and each next spark plug was twisted out wet.
Lawn Mowers Engine Air Filter.
The petrol trimmer engine was opened in stages. The air filter ring has been completely moistened with fuel. A large amount of fuel was present in the compartment where the filter element is installed.
The throughput of the wet filter decreased, and even with a dry spark plug, the engine could not start because the wet filter element blocked the supply of the required amount of air. The spark plug electrodes were immediately flooded with fuel at the first attempt to start the engine.
Muffler for lawn mowers.
Through the mounting holes of the muffler, on one of the mounting studs, an oil stain was clearly visible. Traces of oil can appear when the fastening nuts are loosely tightened, when used oil vapors together with exhaust gases seep through weak seals, but on this lawn mower the tightening of the nuts corresponded to the required torque.
And in the muffler itself, we found about 50. 60 ml of fuel. Not oil, but the same fuel that was in the fuel tank.
Lawn mowers engine.
When opening the engine, we expected to find some surprise, and this was not a vain expectation. The piston contained a certain amount of dense sooty carbon deposits. Stuck piston rings and a layer of carbon deposits on the piston indicated that when working with the lawn mower, the engine temperature was exceeded, which was running on a re-enriched mixture.
Many manufacturers write directly on the container that the oil has good antiwear, lubricating, anti-corrosion and temperature properties. But none of them will write: “Do not overheat the engine!” or “Strictly adhere to our recommendations!” It is difficult to say what was poured instead of oil, or unmeasured oil was poured.
Most of all we were surprised by the crankcase, which was filled to the brim with fuel. It happens when a certain amount of fuel is collected in the crankcase, but that the crankcase is completely filled with fuel is a rarity for us.
The engine worked ‘in the sweat of the brow’, and the operator did not pay attention to fuel consumption, increased smoke, lower engine speed. The engine of the lawn mowers is flooded to the very edge of the crankcase.
Carburetor lawn mowers.
There was no difficulty in disassembling the carburetor. Outside, the carburetor of the lawn mowers was wet and dirty, which indicated that fuel was leaking, but we did not find the place of leakage during an external examination.
And inside the carburetor there were dense deposits located along the edge of the seat hole of one of the diaphragm valves, which indicated poor performance of this valve when its petal did not press tightly against the seat.
Off-season petrol trimmer storage tips
When storing the trimmer, it is worth filling the gearbox with enough oil. Then you need to clean the air filter, partially disassemble, blow out and rinse the engine of the unit. After drying all mechanisms, the moving elements should be lubricated. To process the piston system with oils, you must first remove the spark plug. Then you need to move the piston to the extreme position, then pour a small amount of oil into the plug hole and rotate the crankshaft. If you do not plan to store the petrol trimmer in the off-season in the house, it is recommended to tightly wrap the engine of the unit with oiled rags. This will avoid the development of corrosion on the surface of important parts of the mechanism.
Breather and exhaust port
Often, “gentle” branded lawn mowers will not start and stall due to a dirty breather. The main function of this element is to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. When this unit becomes clogged, a vacuum is created in the tank, preventing the supply of fuel. You can eliminate the malfunction by cleaning the breather. You can use a regular needle for cleaning.
Normal operation of streamers with internal combustion engines may be impaired due to dirt entering the exhaust duct or clogging of the muffler mesh. There is such a problem on older generation models. The issue can be resolved by traditional cleaning and removal of the anti-spark grid.
The first is the candle
The first step is to unscrew the candle. If it is wet, the ignition system is faulty. Try to wipe the spark plug, put it in the cap, attach it to the engine, jerk with the starter. Is there a spark? If not, then you need to change the candle.
Replacing the spark plug didn’t help? Then you need to watch the magneto, cable, ignition coil. The cable is ringed, the coil is checked for resistance (the multimeter is in the resistance measurement mode at 200 Ohms, one contact is for ground, the other is to the output of the coil, should show from 0.4 to 2 Ohms).
Sometimes the magnets on the flywheel get dirty, or the key is licked off, and the ignition moment flies away. Chinese shit throws up all kinds of surprises, but for the most part everything can be revealed visually.
Be sure to pay attention to the plaque of the candle. If it is black, the candle is smoked, then the mixture is rich, or you have mixed the fuel incorrectly. If the plaque is white, it means that the mixture is poor, and the engine could already die of temperature. Ideally, the color should be brick, light, without much plaque.
Again, if the black candle is dead, you should not immediately sin on the carburetor and ignition. Screw in a new one, see what the plaque will be. Maybe the candle was just of poor quality.
Lawnmower won’t start: causes and remedies
Diagnostics and reasons why a two-stroke lawn mower will not start. Quick return to life of Chinese and domestic lawn mowers and ways to fix carburetor breakdowns.
It happens that a two-stroke motor does not even show a flash in the cylinder, but sometimes it catches it and immediately stalls. Do not be sad, this Chinese commodity can be repaired right on the knee using a minimum of tools.
Before starting diagnostics, you need to make sure that the motor rotates with little resistance. If there is no compression in it, then further is useless, and you need to change the piston (there is nothing complicated about this either, everything is like a designer).
Everything whole, clean, works?
Trying to adjust. We take a long screwdriver, find the idle speed adjustment bolt (it is located on the throttle valve), twist it a couple of turns so that the damper opens slightly. We start. Does it work smoothly? Then let’s move on. Won’t start or stall? Opens the damper until it starts up stably.
Then we adjust the quality of the mixture with screw L. It is necessary to achieve maximum idle speed. Here the principle is reversed. the more the bolt is unscrewed, the richer the mixture. After that, the quality of the mixture is adjusted at maximum speed with the screw H.
If the carburetor adjustment does not work, then it needs to be disassembled. Watch the membrane, clean the jets and internal passages. For this, it is necessary not only to have a repair kit, but also, preferably, a spare carburetor.
The second is the carburetor
It is not necessary to disassemble the unit right away, especially if the engine stalls after starting or does not keep idling. Try changing the fuel first, it may have an excess of oil. You can inject a purifier into the air filter, let the motor “shit” a little at maximum speed.
Then we go in order. the air filter, the fuel filter (it can be outside and in the tank), the fuel pumping button, the integrity of the hoses. Gas tank cap. the ventilation valve may be clogged, the motor simply does not pump gasoline. Blow everything out. and it will work!
Be sure to look at the connection of the carburetor to the intake manifold! Elsi sucks air there and there is no tightness. eliminate!
The dosing needle hangs up. also a problem in some models. It is enough to push it down, or remove and grind it with velvet.
You can pull off the hose from the carburetor, see if the fuel goes to it when pumping. It is clear that often to check it is necessary to remove the plastic sheathing, break your fingers on the latches, but anyway, sooner or later you will have to climb there.
What is the resource of the Chinese lawn mowers?
A Chinese or Russian lawn mower is capable of working about 500 hours. But this is with the right mixture, good oil, good factory assembly. If a person pours gasoline from one good gas station, accurately measures the same oil in a beaker, regulates the carburetor for the same mixture, the fuel burns correctly, then the longed-for half a thousand hours of motor life is quite an affordable bar.
But here we must also not forget about the Chinese marriage. They even balance the shafts on the knee, install the cheapest bearings, and stamp carburetors with clogged channels. If a person understands the principle of operation of a two-stroke engine and a carburetor, understands how to sort it out, then he can eventually assemble an almost perfect trimmer.
In general, if we consider a Chinese lawn mower as a space for creativity, then even its breakdown is a reason to learn something new, this is a constructor for a man.
If you need a tool, then you should look for a Japanese analogue, or switch to an electric model.
Exhaust duct or muffler cleaning and influence on engine starting
During the operation of the chainsaw, resinous deposits. carbon deposits are deposited on the walls of the exhaust channel and muffler. Periodically, this carbon deposit needs to be cleaned, but most tool owners remember this only after the chainsaw does not start. Why is this happening? The reason is that the burnt food has nowhere to go, so the engine will not be able to start. When the exhaust channel is dirty, the chainsaw not only loses power, but also its independent engine stops working.
Deposits on the muffler walls are caused by the following factors:
- Use of low-quality gasoline and oil
- Incorrect gasoline to oil ratio when mixing
- Long-term use of the tool without preventive measures
There is no difficulty in cleaning the muffler of the chainsaw. The cleaning sequence is as follows:
- To begin with, unscrew the screws securing the muffler
- The cooling panel with a gasket is dismantled
- Next, you need to remove the spark arrester
- The resonator case is disassembled
- All elements are cleaned and washed from carbon deposits with kerosene or other cleaning fluids. This must be done exclusively with a respirator and goggles. Carcinogenic substances are very dangerous for humans
- Wait until the cleaned elements dry
- Assemble in the reverse order of removal.
When cleaning the walls of the outlet channel, cover the cylinder opening with a rag. This will eliminate the possibility of dust and sand getting into the cylinder. After cleaning the muffler and the exhaust duct of the chainsaw, you can start starting the engine of the tool. At the same time, you will feel how the chainsaw will work at full power.
Is there fuel in the tank and what is its quality
Checking the presence of fuel in the tank is the first thing to start diagnostics with. Even if visually there is still fuel in the tank, make sure that the fuel line is lowered into it. If the fuel in the tank is at the bottom, then this is the main reason that it is impossible to start the engine. After adding fuel to the tank, it is necessary to pump the system, and only then carry out a test run of the engine.
If there is enough fuel in the tank, make sure that the supply hose inside the tank is not detached. On some models of chainsaws, such a malfunction is a “disease”. If the tank is full, this does not mean at all that the breakdown is not related to the fuel system. Check the quality of the fuel (oil and gasoline). Gasoline for chainsaws is used mainly of the AI-92 brand. As oil, you need to use only a special two-stroke, but not an engine oil or even working off.
The prepared fuel mixture cannot be stored for more than 2 weeks, as the mixture begins to lose its properties, which negatively affects not only the operation of the engine, but also its starting. How does a poor-quality mixture affect engine starting, you ask? Everything is very simple, with long-term storage of the mixture, the oil precipitates, which leads to clogging of the channels and jets of the carburetor.
The instructions for each brand of chainsaw indicate recommendations on the ratio in which gasoline and oil should be diluted. It is this recommendation that should be followed when preparing a mixture for a two-stroke engine of a chainsaw, otherwise it will significantly reduce the life of your tool.
Fuel and air filters. checking their serviceability
If the fuel or air filter is clogged, the chainsaw will also not be able to start. First you need to check the health of the air filter, which is located in a plastic case. Chainsaw air filter is very often clogged, therefore it is recommended to clean it before use. You will need to use a compressor for cleaning. If the air filter on the chainsaw is clogged with sawdust and shavings, the engine will not start hot. Air does not enter the carburetor, so only excess fuel is supplied to the cylinder, which causes the spark plug to flood.
The case of a clogged air filter on a chainsaw is very interesting. If it is clogged, it usually starts up on a cold chainsaw, but as soon as the air damper opens to supply air, the engine immediately stalls after warming up. A hot chainsaw with a clogged filter will not start at all, or it will start and immediately stall. When diagnosing the air filter, you need to pay attention to the damper, through which the air supply is limited. Make sure the shutter moves freely when you push the lever to close and open.
- If the damper does not close, then the attempt to start the chainsaw on a cold one is unsuccessful.
- A similar situation is when the chainsaw is hot. If the engine starts up cold, but stalls when warming up, then this may be due to the fact that the damper is stuck in the closed position
As you can see, not only the start of the chainsaw engine depends on the serviceability of the air filter and the damper, but also its proper operation.
In addition to the air filter, the cleaning element, which is responsible for cleaning the fuel mixture, can also become clogged. This filter is located in the chain saw tank and prevents small grains of sand from entering the carburetor. Like the air filter, the fuel cleaner also needs to be cleaned. Cleaning is done by replacing the old filter with a new one. The service life of this element depends on various factors, and first of all, on the quality of the gasoline and oil used. If you pour fuel into the tank in windy weather, then the probability of sand grains entering the tank is 100%.
Depending on the model of the chainsaw, the principle of replacing the fuel filter may differ. However, even a beginner can cope with this procedure, since it is not difficult, and only requires adherence to the sequence of actions.
The main reasons why the chainsaw won’t start
When the chainsaw does not start, the search for the cause should begin with diagnostic procedures. To carry them out, it is not at all necessary to understand the device of the gasoline tool, and it is enough to follow the sequence of actions. Common reasons why your chainsaw won’t start are:
- Fuel line malfunction. From the tank, fuel in the form of gasoline with oil enters the carburetor through the fuel line. The carburetor membrane, which acts as a pump, is responsible for its transportation. If there is no fuel in the tank, then of course the chainsaw will not start, so the first thing to do is make sure that there is fuel in the gas tank.
- Ignition system. most often, the chainsaw engine does not start, the spark plug is to blame. This is due to the fact that it has a certain resource, and if the tool is used often and for a long time, then the candle fails. After making sure that there is fuel in the tank, you need to check the condition of the spark plug
- The filter elements are fuel and air cleaners that prevent fine grains of sand from entering the carburetor and cylinder. The fuel filter cleans the fuel, and it is located on the fuel supply line in the gas tank. The air cleaner is located on the carburetor, and limits the ingress of chips and sawdust into the carburetor
- The breather or pressure equalizer is the smallest element and is often the main reason that the chainsaw will not start. The main symptom of a breather malfunction is when the engine stalls during operation
- Muffler or exhaust channel. during the operation of the tool, carbon deposits settle on the walls of the exhaust system. As a result, the exhaust gases have nowhere to go, and therefore the chainsaw does not start, and if it starts, it immediately stalls
- The carburetor is already a more serious malfunction, which can be eliminated by cleaning the device responsible for mixing fuel with air and supplying the finished mixture to the cylinder. Plugging of the channels and jets of the carburetor leads to the fact that the engine will not start
- The CPG is the most extreme reason why the chainsaw won’t start. The compression gauge will help to make sure of the wear of the cylinder-piston group. Having measured the compression of the chainsaw, you can draw an appropriate conclusion about the health of the engine itself
These are all the components that need to be checked in order to find and eliminate the cause of the inability to start the chainsaw engine. In more detail, each type of malfunction, as well as ways to eliminate them, will be considered below.
If the chainsaw won’t start anyway, what to do
The above are the main reasons why the chainsaw does not start. over, this applies to tools of different brands Stihl, Husqvarna, Partner, Makita, Champion and others. Chainsaws Friendship have a different principle of operation, but in general, the search for a malfunction should begin with the ignition system, or rather, inspect the condition of the spark plug electrodes. If the manipulations carried out do not help to obtain the desired result, then it is necessary to resort to more serious actions. This means that you need to follow these steps:
- Check the serviceability of the carburetor and adjust it
- Measure the amount of compression of the engine, and then make an appropriate conclusion about its serviceability
- Compression in the crankcase is checked
Checking the compression in the cylinder allows you to assess the condition and serviceability of the CPG. To measure compression, you need a compression meter. It is screwed into the spark plug hole, after which the starter handle is pulled. The compressor shows the corresponding cylinder pressure. This value should be at the level of 8-12 atmospheres.
If the pressure is significantly lower, then this is a direct sign of a device malfunction. In case of malfunction, the cylinder-piston group is replaced with a new one. When installing a new CPG, it is necessary to carefully treat all parts with oil so that chips and scuffs do not form at the time of engine start.
If there is no compression in the crankcase, then the chainsaw will also not start. The reason for the decrease in the pressure in the crankcase is the gasket, or rather its damage. This gasket is placed between the cylinder and the crankcase and, to make sure it is working properly, the following manipulations should be performed:
- Disconnect the fuel line from the tank
- Lower the tube into a container with a prepared mixture of gasoline and oil
- Start the chainsaw engine
- If the engine starts and fuel is sucked in, then this indicates the serviceability of the gasket.
If the fuel is not sucked in, then the crankcase gasket needs to be replaced.
The carburetor is the most important and most difficult part of a chainsaw. If all of the above steps did not help to get a positive result, then this indicates that the carburetor is faulty. The main malfunction of the carburetor is the clogging of its channels and jets. Membranes and other elements fail less often. In any case, you will need to disassemble the chainsaw carburetor, clean it and replace the failed parts.
As you can see, there are enough reasons why the chainsaw does not start. To find out what exactly happened in your case, you need to remember the symptoms the day before. Perhaps before the chainsaw stopped starting, engine malfunctions were observed, power and performance decreased, and other breakdowns were also appropriate. Based on these technical symptoms, it is necessary to begin the search. If you don’t know where to start, then the diagnostics should be carried out in order, as described in the material.
Checking the spark plug and the gap between the coil and the magneto
The spark plug is a critical component that ignites the fuel mixture entering the cylinder chamber. If the candle has served its purpose, then it will give out a weak spark or not at all. You can check this in the following way:
- Unscrew the spark plug
- Put it on a cylinder by connecting it to a candlestick
- Switch on ignition
- Pull the starter handle
If a spark occurs constantly, then this indicates the serviceability of the candle. over, not only the candle is in good order, but also the ignition system. the coil and the high-voltage wire. If a spark occurs on the candle, but intermittently (intermittently), then such a part must be replaced. First you need to check the gap between the contacts. The gap should be between 0.5 and 1 mm.
For each model of a chainsaw, manufacturers indicate the recommended gap size, so you need to use a reference book. You can measure the gap with a special probe or a sheet of paper folded several times.
The absence of a spark on the spark plug indicates a malfunction of the ignition system, therefore, before replacing a part, you should make sure that the ignition coil and high-voltage wire are in good working order. The chainsaw may not start due to clogged spark plug electrodes. The presence of black carbon on the candle or wet electrodes. all this may indicate the following malfunctions:
- Black carbon. the chainsaw carburetor is not adjusted correctly. The mixture entering the cylinder contains a lot of fuel and little air. You can eliminate the malfunction by cleaning the carbon deposits on the spark plug electrodes, followed by adjusting the carburetor
- If the candle is wet (it floods), then this may indicate the following. either the ignition system is faulty (including the spark plug itself), or an excess amount of fuel enters the cylinder, thereby filling the candle. First you need to make sure that the spark plug gives a good spark, and only then adjust the carburetor. It is not recommended to dry a wet candle by the calcining method, so it should be wiped dry and then allowed to dry in the sun
- If the spark plug has red or pink carbon deposits on the electrodes, this indicates that the gasoline used contains a large amount of additives. Typically, this effect is produced by AI-95 and higher gasoline, an increase in the octane number in which is achieved by adding additives
When the candle is brown (brick), this indicates not only a properly adjusted chainsaw carburetor, but also about the health of the ignition system. If a new spark plug is used, which, when checked, produces a weak spark (or no spark at all), then this is a sign of a malfunctioning ignition coil. The coil must be replaced together with the high-voltage wire.
Chinese and new chainsaw won’t start what could be
The popularity of Chinese chainsaws has no boundaries. This is due to their main advantage. affordable cost. At the same time, often among the owners of Chinese chainsaws, questions arise about the problem of starting the engine of the tool. Before you find out why the Chinese chainsaw does not start, one feature should be noted. the design of these tools is no different from Russian, German and other manufacturers. That is why the reason why the chainsaw does not start can be found based on the above algorithm.
Chinese chainsaws are very sensitive to fuel quality, therefore, in the diagnostic algorithm, checking the fuel quality is in the first place. The use of low-quality fuel leads to the fact that the tool does not work at full power, its service life is reduced, and also there are difficulties with starting. The instructions for the tool indicate the recommended type of gasoline and oil, which are important to use in order for the Chinese chainsaw to work for a long time and at full power.
After winter I can not start the chainsaw, what can you tell me
If the chainsaw is not used in winter or summer, then with the onset of spring, when it becomes necessary to harvest firewood, a malfunction is often observed in the form of the inability to start the engine of the tool. The reasons may be different, but the first step is to check the presence of gasoline in the tank. If the chainsaw has not been used for a long time, but there is still fuel left in the tank, then the difficulties in starting a two-stroke engine are associated with the cause of stagnation of fuel.
If the fuel in the tank has not been drained before storage, then there is a high probability that a plug has formed in the carburetor. You will need to disassemble the carburetor and clean it. In order not to resort to these steps, you can do the following:
- Unscrew the spark plug and inspect it. If it is dry and has the correct brown color, then no fuel is being supplied to the cylinder.
- 20 grams of the fuel mixture is drawn into a syringe and sprayed into the cylinder
- The spark plug is twisted and the engine is started
- If the ignition system is working properly, the chainsaw will start
When the engine is started, the resulting plug in the carburetor will break through and the engine will run normally. If the engine starts and stalls on a chainsaw, then the procedure for adding fuel to the cylinder should be repeated several times. If the attempts end unsuccessfully, then you need to clean the carburetor, but first check the serviceability of the fuel and air filters, the ignition module and clean the exhaust duct (muffler).
Difficulties with starting a chainsaw cannot be ruled out due to such reasons:
- Damping the electrodes of the candle
- Oxidation of the contacts of the wires of the ignition module
- Damage to the insulation of the high-voltage wire
- Failure of the ignition coil
- The need to adjust the carburetor
Difficulties with starting chainsaws arise sooner or later. It all depends not only on the quality of the tool and its price, but also on the features of the care, operation and storage of the tool. With proper care and storage of the tool, you will never have problems starting your chainsaw engine.
What is a breather and how does it affect the reasons for the inability to start a chainsaw
Few of the sawers know about the existence of such an element on a chainsaw as a breather. This is one of the important parts of the tool, which is responsible for balancing the pressure in the fuel tank. The principle of operation of the breather on a chainsaw is that when the amount of fuel in the tank decreases, a vacuum or vacuum occurs. The less fuel in the tank, the higher the pressure, which becomes an obstacle to the passage of fuel into the carburetor. To reduce the pressure in the tank, a breather is used, which is a valve that allows air to pass in one direction.
If the breather inlet is clogged, then air does not enter the tank, which means that the pressure begins to increase. There is a breather on the fuel tank cap of the chainsaw (depending on the model), and if the two-stroke engine of the tool does not start, it is necessary to check the breather. It is quite simple to make sure that the breather is faulty:
- Unscrew the fuel tank cap. If air bleeds, then this indirectly indicates a malfunction of the pressure regulator
- Screw the gas cap back on, then try to start the engine again. If the engine starts, but after a while it stalls, then the breather needs to be cleaned
- Another way to check if the breather is working is to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor. If fuel flows out of it intermittently, then the device is working properly. If the trickle is weak and intermittent, then you need to clean the breather on the chainsaw to start the engine
The breather (fuel tank cap valve) is cleaned with a needle. If the breather is heavily clogged, you will need to remove the filter element and clean it. On different models of chainsaws, the location of the breather is different (on most models it is located in the gas tank cap). Below is the process of cleaning the breather using the example of a Husqvarna chainsaw.