Trimmer Line Which Is Better
The line is made from nylon. Polyamide, or polypropylene. Cheap products may contain polyethylene additives. It significantly reduces temperature and wear resistance.
Long-lasting polypropylene trimmer line can become fragile. It is recommended to soak it in water for 30 minutes before use.
In strings with a large diameter. 4 mm, aluminum particles are added to increase strength.
Do not use cables or wire in lawn mowers: pieces of wire broken off at such a high speed easily pierce leather shoes.
Why lawn mowers?
This type of gardening technique is designed for small areas where maneuverability is more important than performance. If we are talking about the same flower bed, then mowing the grass in the immediate vicinity of the flowers using a wheeled lawn mower is unrealistic. The trimmer, electric or petrol, will do the job perfectly.
The essence of his work is as follows: the fishing line or knife rotates at a fairly high speed and cut off the stems. A string or cord is used specifically for cutting grass. Which trimmer line is best depends on the task. For soft and hard grass, respectively, a cord with different technical characteristics is needed.
Trimmer line section ranges from 1.2mm to 4mm.
- 1.2 mm. 1.6 mm. A thin string designed for constant lawn care. It is used in low-power devices. Up to 0.5 kW. This is a standard line for an electric trimmer.
- From 2 mm. 2.4 mm. Suitable for devices with a power of 1 kW. This is the most common option, as it allows you to cut both young and rather tough grown grass. Since the lawn in the dachas is looked after a little less often than it should, then the 2.4 mm cord turns out to be very useful.
- 3mm. 3.2mm is used for powerful gasoline appliances. Their task: to cope not only with grass, but also with thick stems of weeds and dead wood.
The string is sold in a package. Bays, the length ranges from 10 to 100 m. However, there are also options for selling “for a cut”. In the photo. Various types of cord with a cross section of 2 mm, 3 mm, 4 mm.
Which trimmer line is better: which one to choose?
Caring for a lawn or flower garden includes not only watering and weeding, but also cutting the grass. Bare land on a flower bed or summer area looks unattractive. Smooth, soft, green “carpet” is certainly much better.
Choosing a trimmer line
But to make the lawn look like this, you need special equipment.
Trimmer line: features
There are several parameters to consider to choose the right string. Firstly, the characteristics of the device must indicate how thick the fishing line can be. When trying to thread a cord with a large diameter, the thread on the spool will get tangled, the engine will overheat, and the bushings will wear out much faster. Secondly, the task matters. Mowing the lawn grass or cutting dead wood. The power of the device itself also puts its limits.
To choose a line not only in thickness, but also in shape, it is necessary for this reason: the cord does not cut the stem, but interrupts it. The rotating string hits the surface of the stem repeatedly and eventually separates the top of the stem. For this kind of work, the shape of the incisal edge is an important technical characteristic.
- Round is the most common, as it is universal: you can choose it for mowing both fresh and dry grass. It is considered less noisy, especially the spiral one. But this parameter is not important in all cases. The line for a gasoline trimmer can be as noisy as you like, it is still inaudible during engine operation.
- Polygonal. From 3 to 6 faces. Sharp incisal edges handle coarse, thick stems better. Thus, a square cord with a section of 2.4 mm is able to remove raspberry stems. It should be noted that with higher efficiency, the polygonal cord is consumed faster, and it should be used only for its intended purpose.
- Curly. An asterisk, ribbed, in the form of a twisted square with notches, and so on. Their “specialization” is different, which is desirable to learn about in the instructions before choosing. Thus, an asterisk is recommended for mowing fresh grass, as it is less traumatic: after cutting, the grass does not dry out, as when using a round string. In the photo. A cord with a different shape.
Choosing a trimmer line
In order to choose the right line for the trimmer, the following parameters should be considered:
- Cord thickness;
- Sectional shape;
- Material from which the line is made.
Finding the correct cord thickness is essential. It must match the characteristics of a particular device. If the line is with a large diameter, which is designed for a particular trimmer model, this can lead to tangling of the thread on the spool, overheating of the engine and rapid wear of the bushings.
The trimmer line can be sized from 1.2mm to 4mm. You can make such a conditional separation:
- Line with thickness 1.2. 1.6 mm. It is intended for devices with low power. Up to 0.5 kW. Typically this electrical model.
- Cord thick 2. 2.4 mm. This is the most common size that will work. For cutting both young and hard grass. This line is installed on trimmers with a power of 1 kW.
- Line having a thickness 3. 3.2 mm. Intended for high power petrol trimmers, that can cut thick stems.
- Cord in thickness 4 mm. This is the thickest trimmer line that does more than just hard grass, but even with shrub stalks.
The shape of the thread is also an important parameter when choosing a trimmer line. This is due to the fact that the process of cutting a grass stem is as follows: the fishing line separates its part, not cutting, but interrupting it. According to the sectional shape, the cords are divided into the following types:
- Round. This is a versatile shape that is suitable for cutting both fresh and dry grass;
- Multifaceted, which has from 3 to 6 faces. This line is capable of handling tough and thick stems. With all the advantages of the cord, it also has a disadvantage: fast consumption. Therefore, it is recommended to use it exclusively for its intended purpose;
- Curly. In the form of stars, squares with recesses. They have their own characteristics of purpose. For example, an asterisk is used to cut fresh grass.
Which trimmer line is better?
The trimmer is an essential attachment for cutting lawn and other vegetation. He is able to become an indispensable assistant for owners of private houses and summer cottages, as it helps to maintain the surrounding area in a tidy condition. In order to choose a trimmer model that will carry out work with the highest quality and serve faithfully for many years, you need to pay special attention to all the components of the device. One of the questions to be solved is which trimmer line is better.?
Production material for fishing line
As a rule, nylon line is used for trimmer. Made of polyamide or polypropylene. The cheaper version contains the addition of polyethylene. It is not recommended to use it, since the cord, which contains such a material, is characterized by a reduced resistance to wear and temperature.
To extend the life of a polypropylene line, it is soaked in water for half an hour before direct use. Many people have a question: what is the strongest trimmer line? These can be called strings with a large diameter (about 4 mm), into which aluminum particles are specially added.
Some people practice using metal wire or cables for lawn mowers, which is absolutely impossible to do. It is best to use metal trimmer line, which is the most reliable.
In addition, the reinforced trimmer line, which consists of an outer layer and a dense core, is considered extra-strong. This ensures its high wear resistance.
Thus, having the necessary information about the characteristics of the trimmer line, you can choose the best option for yourself.
Trimmer line specifications
To understand what kind of trimmer line is needed for your mower model, it is enough to determine its basic parameters: thread thickness, section shape, composition. Let’s consider all the components in more detail.
Thread thickness (cord)
You can find out the required thickness by looking at the trimmer specifications or by reading the inscriptions on the universal bobbin. The most commonly used cords are 1.2 to 4 mm in diameter. over, each individual model has its own trimmer line diameter. The fact is that if the thread is thinner than the required one, then you will increase engine wear due to the increased number of shaft revolutions. If, on the contrary, it is too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase, and the engine will begin to overheat and ultimately fail. The best way to determine the exact thread diameter is the type of trimmer motor. Thus, the following is obtained:
- For an electric trimmer with a lower engine, less than 500 W, you will need 1.3 mm thread. If you haven’t found one, you can use a 1.6 mm thicker line, but not more.
- For an electric trimmer with an overhead motor with about 1 kW, choose a thread with a diameter of 2 mm.
In this case, it does not matter what type of shaft the electric trimmer has, bent or straight (allows you to install the knives).
Advice! If initially a 1.6 mm line is installed in the tool, then you can put the thread on 2 mm, this will not affect the operation of the engine.
If we are talking about a gasoline model, then in this situation it is imperative to determine which shaft the mower has. For bent, 2 mm thick threads are most often used. But on a tool with a straight shaft, a 3 mm or 2.4-2.5 trimmer line is installed. The thickest line is usually used on more powerful tools (from 1.3 kW).
If we talk about which line copes better with young grass or perennial dead wood, then we can conditionally divide the cords into the following categories:
- Line from 1.2 to 1.6 mm. This is the thinnest thread used to trim the lawn.
- 2. 2.4 will allow you to cut both young grass and harder grass. Suitable for intermittent use.
- A thread from 3 to 3.2 mm will allow you to mow grass and thick stems of weeds or dead wood if you rarely travel out of town.
The least common trimmer line is 4mm. This is due to the fact that rarely does anyone have to deal with such serious thickets. However, if you are the owner of a powerful gasoline “mower” and haven’t appeared in the country for several years, then a 4 mm line will be the best option.
Which trimmer line is better
Publication date: January 25, 2016.
A beautiful lawn is the face of a summer cottage, so most gardeners prefer to sow special silky grass on their land, which not only pleases the eye, but also displaces annoying weeds. In addition to feeding and watering, lawn grass needs to be cared for, so it needs to be mowed periodically. For these purposes, you can choose an electric trimmer or a lawn mower. Many people prefer a trimmer. The line reel is the main tool of this device, it allows you to quickly cut the overgrown grass with an even layer. In addition, with the help of a trimmer, you can level the lawn in the most difficult-to-reach places: in areas along paths and fences, around bushes, trees or a well.
Regardless of whether you use a conventional tool equipped with only a line, or an electric trimmer with a knife and line, sooner or later you will have to change some elements of such a device. Unfortunately, by this time, the instructions from the portable lawn mower, where all the necessary requirements are indicated, are already lost and many are faced with the question of buying the “correct” fishing line.
There is a large selection of cords with different sections, depending on which the trimmer will be able to mow this or that grass:
- Round cords are the most popular, while such lines are cheaper than others, from 68 rubles (12 m). They mow fresh grass well, but cope worse with dead wood and shrubs. The disadvantage of such a fishing line is a rather strong noise, which resembles the hum from a running car engine.
- Spiral (twisted) cord makes less noise, but does not have high strength. Therefore, this line is only suitable for thin young grass, which you constantly look after. Such a line costs from 100 rubles.
- Square, rectangular or star line allows for a smoother lawn with low noise levels. True, such products also cannot boast of durability. Such a thread will cost about 147 rubles per 12 meters.
- Sharp-edged serrated cord is used for large weeds in neglected areas. At the same time, the line will not make much noise, and due to the increased aerodynamic properties, the mower will be given additional power. Such a thread, costing from 200 rubles, is suitable for a powerful trimmer. Serrated cord is considered to be durable and reliable.
- The two-piece round inner core trimmer line is considered the strongest of the bunch. Thanks to the core made of a different material, the cord can mow even small bushes. True, such a line is suitable only for gasoline trimmers. Due to the high cost (from 250 rubles) of such a cord, it is impractical to use it daily.
The composition of the fishing line directly depends on how long it will last. Most often, the threads are made from nylon. This material wears out more slowly and offers high performance in high temperature and high stress environments. The duration of the work also does not affect the properties of nylon in any way.
Coaxial lines are considered to be the strongest. They can be distinguished by their dense core, which makes them wear longer than nylon cords. Such a line is difficult to cut with a knife, and during the mowing process it makes a minimum of noise.
The most expensive line is the one in which aluminum comes off, or rather, its inclusions. Such a cord appeared on the market relatively recently, but we can already say with confidence that it is the most durable.
After you have chosen the correct cord, you just have to remove the worn out part, clean the trimmer itself from dirt and grass, fill in the fishing line and you can start improving the suburban area.
Which trimmer line is better?
The speed of electric and lawn mowers is largely influenced by the quality of the fishing line. The consumption of the cord itself, as well as the load that acts on the engine, depends on how correctly it is wound on the mowing reel. In this regard, each gardener needs to carefully study the rules for choosing and self-installing fishing line on a reel. This will prevent premature breakage of the scythe and make its use in the garden more convenient and efficient.
How to insert line into the trimmer?
Filling the mowing reel with cutting thread for a trimmer is not difficult, but novice gardeners will have to practice a little in order to be able to quickly insert the cord into an existing utility trimmer in the future.
There are several ways to refuel the trimmer cutter head. The first method is the simplest and works well for beginner gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the spool in the following sequence:
- First, you need to rewind about 6 m of trimmer line from a common spool, and then cut the resulting segment in half. The result should be 2 threads, each 3 m long;
- Then, at one of the ends of the first segment, you will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located in the upper part of the spool;
- Next, you need to start winding the line on the spool in the direction indicated by the arrow. During winding, you need to make sure that the line lies evenly on the surface of the spool, and does not go beyond its upper section. You do not need to wind the segment to the end, about 15 cm of thread should remain in your hands;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord will need to be inserted into one of the recesses located at the top of the spool;
- Further, the same procedure will need to be done with the second piece of fishing line. It will need to be wound around the lower section of the spool;
- As in the first case, you do not need to wind the line all the way to the bottom section. The remaining piece of thread will need to be inserted into the second groove of the bobbin.
After the performed operation, the coil will need to be installed on the trimmer and wound up. To check the reliability of the thread attachment, you will need to press the throttle lever all the way so that the engine reaches maximum speed. If the line does not fly out of the head, it means that the line is held securely, and it will not fly out of the mowing reel during mowing.
How to wind the line on the trimmer spool?
The second method is a little more difficult to do it yourself.
You need to wind the trimmer cord in the following order:
- First, you need to cut off about 6 m of the total cord, and bend it. In this case, one of the parts should be slightly larger than the second;
- Then the thread, where it was bent, will need to be inserted into the recess located on the dividing face between the two sections of the bobbin. As a result, the first part of the segment should be in the upper section, and the second in the lower section of the bobbin;
- After that, you need to start winding the fishing line. This should be done in the direction of the arrow indicated on the spool body. The cord must not intertwine during winding. The top of the cut should be wrapped neatly over the top and the bottom over the bottom of the bobbin. After that, two 15-centimeter pieces of cord should remain free;
- Further, the remaining ends will need to be inserted into the recesses located at the top of the spool;
- Then the fixed ends must be pushed into the through holes of the trimmer mowing head.
In the end, you will need to connect all parts of the mowing head, and pull each end of the line towards you a little. The finished coil will need to be installed on the trimmer and continue to work on the site.
Which trimmer line is better?
When choosing a fishing line, you need to consider several of its parameters.
The list of the main characteristics of the cutting cord includes:
- Line thickness. On the market most often there are threads, the thickness of which is in the range of 1.2–4 mm. Thin cord, no more than 1.6 mm thick, is intended for trimmers whose power does not exceed 0.8 liters. From. Most often, this cord is used in cases where the farm has a low-power electric scythe with a fishing line and a knife. Cords up to 2 mm to 2.6 mm in diameter are used for trimmers from 1 to 1.8 liters. From. These fishing lines are capable of successfully removing not only freshly grown, but also fairly old dried vegetation. Thick lines, with a diameter of 3 mm or more, are designed for use with lawn mowers with a capacity of at least 3 liters. From. Cord with this thickness shows itself well when mowing large and dense wild vegetation;
- Shape of the trimmer cord. A lot depends on this factor, since when mowing the grass, the thread does not cut the stems, but repeatedly hits them. It is the shape of the thread that affects the speed of mowing the grass and the accuracy of the mowing line of its cut. Most often, you can find round lines on the market. This cord is suitable for cutting all types of vegetation. Slightly less common on the market is a square thread. It is best at removing large, hard stems and is often used for cutting wild bushes. There is also a star line on the market. It stands out for its low invasiveness for grass, so it is best used for the care of decorative natural lawns;
- Material. In most cases, manufacturers use nylon, polypropylene and polyamide for the production of cutting cord. Cheaper trimmer cords are made of nylon with polyethylene additives, which significantly reduces the thread’s resistance to wear and temperature.
Also, when choosing a cord, you need to take into account the type of equipment that will be used to work on the site. If the household uses electric trimmers with a fishing line and a knife, then it is best to equip them with thin round cords that create a minimum load on the electric motor. If a powerful lawn mower is used to care for the site, then you can confidently use a thread with any thickness and section to work with it, including homemade fishing lines from a plastic bottle. The load on the gasoline engine, in these cases, will be almost imperceptible.
How to thread the line into the trimmer spool?
The third method is suitable for refueling single-section mowing reels.
All actions must be performed in the following order:
- First of all, you need to disassemble the mowing head, after which you need to clean it of grass, small debris and remnants of old cord;
- Next, you need to cut off about 10 m of the total amount of new fishing line and bend it in half. As a result, one hand must hold both ends of the line and the place of its fold;
- After that, you need to find a notch in the spool. In a single-section mowing head, it is located at the top or bottom. There should be an arrow next to the recess, which indicates in which direction to wind the cord;
- Then you need to start winding the fishing line. During installation, the line should not bend or hang down. Otherwise, it will constantly pop out of the reel;
- After winding the cord in the hands of the operator, there should be 2 ends, 10-15 cm long;
- These ends must be threaded through the through holes located in the side walls of the upper part of the coil, opposite each other;
- After that, you need to assemble the coil. At the same time, its spring must exactly fit between two metal washers.
The finished one-section coil will need to be installed on a utility trimmer, after which it will be possible to continue mowing vegetation on the site.
Tips for choosing
The main criterion for choosing a fishing line should be compliance with the diameter of the fishing line to the trimmer, its power, and capabilities.
It is not necessary to put the whole skein of fishing line into the spool, a small piece is enough to prevent spontaneous scattering of the working head, especially since to work with the trimmer it is necessary to select a fishing line in the size range specified in the instructions. A light thread of small diameter is just as harmful to the tool as a thicker thread.
In many ways, the result of the trimmer’s work also depends on the shape of the line section. Conventionally, all types can be divided into two types. A round fishing line and a complex cross-section fishing line. A square, a rectangle, a star.
The most common line is the round line.
This is due to several factors:
- Round yarn production is much cheaper, than complex section production;
- Round thread can withstand heavy loads. During mowing, the tip of the line sharpens and, thus, an even, correct cut is obtained, similar to the cut of a hand braid;
- Less round line is consumed, than other types of fishing line;
- Round section available in all types of diameter products from 1.4 mm to 3.3 mm inclusive.
Disadvantages of a round line:
- Creates noise during operation, therefore, for especially gentle consumers who do not like to wear headphones, the manufacturer offers a round spiral line with low noise during operation;
- Despite the presence in all types of sizes, round fishing line is not suitable for cutting bushes and dead wood, its main purpose is young green grass.
Square or rectangular line:
- The main purpose. Professional hay trimmers for tall grass;
- The cut is made by the edges of the rectangle, as a result of which the mowing is smooth, without crushing the stems.
- Sizes. From 2.4 mm to 3.3 mm.
Of the cons:
- High consumption when working on rocky areas, near hedges, trees. The line is quite fragile;
- Mainly used on powerful electric and gasoline trimmers.
- The main purpose is dry grass and small shrubs;
- Sizes from 2.4 mm to 3.0 mm;
- Some manufacturers make a two-component line to strengthen the line when there is a metal core inside the line;
Of the minuses, it should be noted:
- High and very high cost (line with a metal core);
- Requires a special trimmer coil or special disc;
- When mowing with such a line, it is not recommended to use the cut grass as feed for livestock.
What nuances should be observed when working?
As with the beginning of the operation of any technique, before starting to work with the trimmer, it is recommended to read the instructions, to read it, and not to skim, it is easy and extremely useful, in any case, if there is no experience with this kind of equipment, at the initial stage it will be possible to avoid breakdown.
Already in the future, when experience appears, this largely compensates for the high consumption of fishing line, but nevertheless, it should be borne in mind that initially you need to adhere to the manufacturer’s advice.
The second important point is knowing the basic parameters of the line and taking them into account for work:
- Sectional shapes;
- Thread composition.
How and which line to choose for a trimmer?
Small-scale mechanization products offered today for small areas and for the care of large areas with difficult terrain, and these are mainly electric and gasoline trimmers have a working body in the form of a universal head, into the drum of which synthetic fishing line or vein is wound, as it is sometimes called.
Basically, all manufacturers of this kind of equipment in the operating instructions indicate the parameters of the fishing line. Diameter. There is a similar indication on the spool, where the direction of winding of the line and its diameter are indicated.
However, today there are several types of trimmer line, which not only differ from each other in color, diameter and shape, but also have completely different characteristics.
However, in general, the life of the fishing line does not depend on the shape or diameter of the thread, but on what composition it is made of. Most often, domestic manufacturers use nylon as the main material.
It is flexible enough, elastic, strong, amenable to deformation by stretching. Relatively easily tolerates heavy loads and high temperatures.
Nylon line is the cheapest in the price range, but this does not mean that it is of poor quality, if we consider the price / quality / performance ratio, then nylon line will show a very decent result.
Coaxial, two-piece line will handle the most stress and is considered the strongest. Its secret is simple. A dense, even tough core and a rather elastic outer layer.
This combination allows the line to retain its properties for a long time and wear out gradually, much slower than nylon line.
A line with a metal central core was originally intended for professional work. Mowing grass along highways, cleaning steep slopes, working on rocky areas.
And therefore it has an appropriate price, which is not quite suitable for working on a personal plot.
Which line to choose for the trimmer?
A beautiful and well-groomed lawn in front of the house or a neat lawn framed by ornamental shrubs in many ways speaks not only of the attractiveness of the artistic solution, but also of the diligence of the owner of the estate.
And these are not empty words, because systematic lawn care requires not only adherence to technological cycles, but also hard work.
Created and practically perfected lawn care tools, along with the need for skillful handling, also require a high-quality selection of consumables, the quality of which largely determines the success of an ideal lawn.
Trimmer line. Which is better?
Trimmers are popular today, they are used quite widely both in everyday life and professionally. In order for the work with this tool to deliver less inconvenience, to be performed quickly, efficiently and with the necessary result, you need to choose the cutting part correctly. There are special cutting discs for almost all trimmer models, however, most often they use fishing line (also called vein or cord) as the most versatile and affordable working element.
Materials used in production
The two-piece (coaxial) trimmer line is the most durable and reliable. The idea is quite simple. A flexible outer layer is located on a tough and very strong core. Such a combination of properties makes it possible not to lose operational properties for a rather long time, such a cord wears out gradually, much more slowly than other types. Initially, this line with a steel core was developed for professional use. Working in difficult areas, mowing grass from roadsides, near railway embankments. The only limitation is the power of the tool. It is not recommended by specialists to use a cord with a rigid core on lawn mowers with a power of less than 1.5 kW. The disadvantage is also the price. Due to the complexity of manufacturing, the cost of a two-component line is noticeably higher than a regular nylon line.
Trimmer line specifications
Choosing the right line for lawn mowers is essential for efficient operation. Therefore, quite often the owners of such equipment have questions: what properties should a good line for a trimmer have, which is better, is the difference in cost justified? Quite a large number of people, especially if they use the trimmer rarely and irregularly, do not think too much about the intricacies of choice, and acquire the first line they come across, more or less suitable for specific conditions and acceptable in cost. However, at least once faced with problems due to the unsuitability of the fishing line for their task, many still think. How to make the right choice?
Several main characteristics affect the performance of the fishing line as a cutting element:
- Geometric dimensions (diameter or thickness, depending on the shape);
- The material from which the fishing line is made;
- Cross-sectional shape.
Let’s take a closer look at what each of the above parameters affects.
Lines for trimmers with a curly section shape are widely used. It can be square, cruciform or in the form of a star with a different number of rays, a polygonal vein. Due to its sharp edges, this cord variant shows good performance. At the same time, the curly line has quite good aerodynamic properties, it is suitable for working on almost any grass, throughout the season. It should only be remembered that the complex shape of the cross section assumes a slightly lower strength, therefore the curly vein breaks more often than an ordinary one.
One of the options for a curly cord is a twisted or grooved core. This shape gives a performance benefit due to aerodynamic properties. In addition, this type of line produces much less noise, which adds to the operator’s comfort. It should be borne in mind that such a core does not have very high strength characteristics, so that its consumption is quite large.
There is also a special, complex-shaped trimmer line, which, upon close examination, is somewhat similar to a chainsaw chain. Has a large number of sharp corners, notches and edges on its surface. This is a rather rare specialized type of cord, characterized by significant wear resistance and is usually used in powerful professional models of trimmers. The reviews about this line are excellent. Copes with almost any task, only requires a special head. A very high quality item, but you need to be prepared for its not the smallest cost.
Thickness as one of the most important parameters
The cross-sectional diameter (or thickness if the line is not round) is one of the main criteria by which the selection is made. The use of conductors inappropriate to the conditions or power of the unit will either significantly reduce the efficiency of work, or will give an increased load on the trimmer units, which is also undesirable. The accompanying paperwork for the mower will usually indicate the recommended thickness of the cord. In addition, this parameter is often indicated directly on the body of the universal spool, which is included with the unit. The diameter range recommended for most trimmers on sale and in use today includes sizes from 1.2 to 4 mm. However, for each specific device, a certain diameter is used, with permissible deviations in one direction or another of about 0.3 mm.
If too thin a line is used, the resource of the lawn mower will be used irrationally, the cord will often break, and it will be consumed too quickly. If a conductor is used that is much thicker than the recommended one, the load on the engine increases noticeably, its rapid overheating is possible, which can lead to a malfunction. In such a situation, of course, a lot depends on the engine, the quality of its assembly and the manufacturer.
You can calculate the thickness of the line by the power of the power unit. In electric trimmers of low power (up to 600 W), as a rule, a fishing line with a diameter of up to 1.6 mm is used, with an increase in power up to 1 kW, a two-millimeter one is used. Gasoline engines make it possible to use 2.4–3 mm line, as they have increased engine power compared to electric braids. If, after using a thin core, a situation arises when a thicker trimmer line is used, which is better, it is immediately clear. Cord of considerable thickness allows you to work much longer and wears out more slowly. In addition, tough, dry stems and young shrubs are more susceptible to it.
Criterias of choice
Different manufacturing companies use different consumables for the manufacture of fishing lines. To make the right and thoughtful choice, you need to know its main criteria.
Trimmer line. Which is better? How to choose a trimmer line. Basic rules:
The owner himself decides which thread is better. However, there are several general selection rules that must be followed in any case. The wrong choice can provoke the failure of the device:
- Select the cord thickness in strict accordance with the technical characteristics of the device and the type of engine. For example, 4mm line will not work for a low-powered device.
- Pay attention to the configuration of the section of the cord. Young grass on the lawn can be cut with a round thin line. Mowing of perennial plants is possible with a line with sharp angles in cross section.
- When working, try to avoid contact of the cord with hard surfaces. Otherwise, the line will wear out faster.
- High price and high quality are not synonymous. Therefore, do not try to purchase the most expensive product. To mow slightly grown grass, a budget option with a thickness of 1.2-1.4 mm is enough.
To the content
Composition, or what the trimmer line is made of:
- The most common line material is nylon. It is a wear-resistant material that can withstand mechanical stress and fairly significant temperature changes. Nylon retains its strength characteristics for a long time.
- Coaxial thread is even stronger than nylon. Its validity period is much longer.
- Now on sale there are lines with aluminum inclusions. Consumers have positive reviews about them.
The most practical option is a round section. Compared to other varieties, such a cord is relatively inexpensive. At the same time, the mowing quality is very good. But the round line has a drawback. Loud noise when the tool is running. This problem can be solved by purchasing a line of a spiral configuration. In addition, there are square, star and rectangular cords on sale.
A special talk is about cords with dents and grooves along their entire length. The thickness of this line is 4 mm. It is used in addition to a powerful lawn mower for overgrown and neglected areas. In this case, the sound from the trimmer is not very strong.
Share on social media networks:
The trimmer is a great solution for those who have ornamental shrubs or lawns in the courtyard of a country house or in the country. Of course, they look very beautiful, but they need to be cut and trimmed often. Using an electric or petrol scythe, you efficiently and quickly cut grass, even in the most difficult to access areas. The performance of the device depends on the choice of line. Topic: trimmer line. Which is better?