Lawn mower stalls when you press the gas: causes and remedies
the lawn mower stalls when you press the gas. For what reasons does a petrol trimmer or lawn mower stall when you apply gas? What to do if the lawn mower starts and stalls at idle speed? Proven solutions and tips.
Immediately after the start
The lawn mower or trimmer stalls immediately after the start is due to the following reasons:
- Imbalance of previously adjusted valves;
- Initially incorrect setting of the valve mechanism;
- Clogging of the fuel supply valve by deposits;
- The hose is worn or loose.
Due to a broken fuel injection algorithm, the lawn mower or trimmer vibrates strongly during operation.
You press the gas. And the trimmer stops working, does not develop speed. Possible suspected causes are:
- The carburetor setting has gone astray, which appears with an increasing load on the drive itself. After its long idle time or when working in extreme conditions;
- The fuel valve is clogged with deposits;
- The carburetor cable is loose and sag;
- The fuel supply hose is unnecessarily stretched, possibly torn;
- The non-return valve (breather) is clogged with deposits. The fuel does not enter the fuel tank.
Ways to eliminate breakage
By carburetor are possible the following works:
- Cleaning and adjusting the fuel supply valve;
- Similar work with a valve that releases exhaust gases and vapors (after fuel combustion);
- Replacing the weaker spring on the inlet valve;
- Restoration of the tension of the carburetor cable;
- Replacing the fuel suction hose, checking and strengthening the weakened connection;
- Change of rotary disc flap;
- Change of a faulty wire or ignition coil.
The lawn mower stalls when you press the gas
Gas key lawn mowers
Hole in the fuel cap (breather) of the trimmer
Lawn mowers fuel valve
With a similar problem, you should pay attention to the fuel valve, which, when clogged, ceases to pass the fuel mixture normally. The solution to this problem is to mitigate it with a suitable tool. In addition, a problem with the circulation of the fuel mixture may lie in a dirty valve. To do this, simply blow it out with a compressed air stream.
The lawn mower stalls at high engine speeds
During operation, a situation arises when, when you press the fuel mixture supply button, the speed of the unit does not start to increase, but to decrease. A malfunction of this nature can be caused by:
Fuel hoses for lawn mowers with filter
- Etching atmospheric air into the combustion chamber;
- Problems with the circulation of the fuel mixture;
- Clogging of the breather in the fuel tank cap (cleaning the hole with a fine sewing needle);
- Incorrect carburetor adjustment.
When air is leaking during the operation of the internal combustion engine, it is necessary to check the tightness of the connection of the pipes and the integrity of the gaskets in the CPG. The problem with the circulation of the fuel mixture can be solved by removing blockages in the fuel pipes leading to the carburetor. If a vacuum occurs in the tank and the fuel mixture does not flow to the carburetor, it is enough to clean the breather with a thin needle and blow it out with air.
Trimmer stalls: causes and troubleshooting
The lawn mower is a mobile, high-performance tool for beautifying home gardens and surrounding areas. With prolonged use, due to wear of parts or manufacturing defects, malfunctions occur, which lead to the trimmer stalling or not starting. Since this tool is a rather complex mechanism, there may be several reasons why the lawn mower stalls.
Why does the trimmer stall
There are two main ways to troubleshoot problems: transferring the braid to a specialized center or solving the issue with your own hands. The first option is suitable for those who are ready to pay a “tidy” sum to restore the unit’s performance, and the second for those who have basic locksmith skills and can independently figure out the causes of breakdowns and ways to eliminate them.
Currently, it is customary to classify breakdowns for which the lawn mower stalls into the following categories:
- Mechanical damage to the internal combustion engine crankcase, malfunctions of the cylinder-piston group (CPG);
- Breakdowns associated with the supply of the fuel mixture (air filter, carburetor);
- Malfunctions due to damaged pipes, hoses, cables or ignition circuit.
If stalled after launch
If the equipment starts and stalls immediately after starting, this indicates incorrect setting or misalignment devices. As a result, fuel does not flow to the engine evenly, resulting in significant vibration and trim disengagement. To fix the breakdown, it is necessary to reconfigure the device according to the user’s manual.
Another probable problem is blockage of the valve supplying the gasoline mixture. It needs to be cleaned.
Another possible reason is damaged fuel intake hose. Air can enter the system through cracks and holes. To solve the problem, you need to increase the engine speed in order to get rid of air bubbles that have penetrated into the device.
If stalled without gaining momentum
If the trimmer does not pick up speed and turns off, there may be several reasons. The most common culprit in the problem is clogged air filter. It must be pulled out and cleaned, if necessary replaced.
Another possible malfunction is related to motor drive mechanics. This part of the trimmer must be thoroughly cleaned and the inner cables must be lubricated.
You also need to make sure that the cable in the carburetor did not sleep. Before using the trimmer for the first time, check this structural element to ensure that it is firmly tensioned, but not tight. Failure to do so may cause the cable to crack, resulting in costly repairs.
Preventive measures and rules of operation
In order for the lawn mower to function properly and not stall when started, it must be properly stored and operated. Compliance with the following simple recommendations will allow you to forget about problems.
- When mowing grass, the condition of the cooling system must be monitored. It is also necessary to regularly clean the channels in the housing and the ribs of the starter.
- Use kerosene, thinner or other detergent to clean the instrument.
- Do not clean hot tools. They must cool down before washing.
- It is important to observe the recommended operating mode to avoid overheating of the engine.
- If the scythe is not used within the next thirty days, the fuel must be drained, otherwise it will break down into heavy components that can clog the channels of the carburetor.
- After the fuel is drained, the trimmer should idle for a while until it turns off. This will completely get rid of the remaining working mixture inside.
To store the tool in cold weather you need:
- Completely drain the fuel;
- Disassemble the lawn mower, wash and clean all available components;
- Inspect the condition of parts, eliminate all defects that can be corrected;
- Pour the prescribed amount of oil into the gearbox;
- Clean the air filter;
- Partial disassembly of the engine, wash all moving parts, blow through and lubricate thoroughly;
- To lubricate the piston, unscrew the plug, then use the starter to raise the piston to top dead center, pour a small amount of oil into the plug hole and turn the crankshaft several times.
Only by observing these rules can you be sure that the lawn mower will work properly and will not stall for a number of seasons.
As you can see, the trimmer can stop working for many reasons. Most of them can be corrected by yourself using the user manual. In cases where there is no self-confidence, it is recommended to take the equipment to repair. It is worth remembering that the wrong actions can cause even more harm to the trimmer. As a result, repairing lawn mowers will cost significantly more than it would have been originally, and in the worst case, you may need to buy a new unit.
Lawn mower stalls
When purchasing a lawn mower, you need to be prepared for the fact that, like in all other similar tools, breakdowns may also occur in it that will require repair.
However, you should not immediately run to the service center and pay a lot of money to the masters who convince you that there is a serious malfunction in the device.
The lawn mower stalls at high speed on gas
Perhaps the most common complaint with petrol trimmers is the lawnmower stalls.
Of course, a rather serious malfunction can also be the reason for this. However, in most cases the situation is much simpler than it seems at first glance.
To cope with such a problem, first of all, try to figure out its causes on your own, because after finding out the cause, it is much easier to deal with the problem, and sometimes it even self-destructs.
In fact, there are many reasons for this when the lawn mower stalls at high speeds.
Another is the presence of faults in the power supply system.
In this case, the lawn mower will stall at idle speed. A misalignment or incorrect adjustment of the carburetor can lead to problems with the power system.
The misalignment can be caused by vibrations that occur during the operation of the lawn mower.
Incorrectly adjusted lawn mowers can be corrected simply by adjusting it in accordance with the requirements specified in the instruction manual.
In addition, sometimes gasoline trimmers can stall due to the fact that the valve located in the gas tank cap is simply clogged or stuck.
To find out, try using a scythe while loosening the gas cap.
If the device works properly in this mode, clean the valve.
What’s more, the lawn mower can stall due to poor fuel flow to the carburetor.
Why, then, does the device start up, you ask?
The reason for this is that at first the fuel gradually runs into the carburetor and there is enough fuel to operate at increased power.
However, then it is produced and at high revs the engine starts to stall.
As for the carburetor, the problem here may also be that its body is too tight.
Air leaks can also be the reason for the lawn mower stalling at high rpm on gas.
This is the possible presence of a place through which air can pass during the heating process of the engine.
Be sure to check the fuel inlet hose, among other things. The problem may be that it is loose or cracked altogether.
These are the main reasons why a lawn mower can stall.
The lawn mower often stops when it heats up. At the same time, it starts up, works “jerky” and gradually stops. This process occurs when gasoline in the carburetor boils or the damper in it is installed in a rotary, and not disk type. In the latter case, the part is changed.
It happens that the trimmer heats up if damaged ignition circuit wire or a coil. In order for the device to start working normally, parts are replaced.
Why does the petrol trimmer stall
A scythe with a gasoline drive is a useful thing for owners of home gardens, lawns, and when the trimmer suddenly stalls, the work to clear the area from grass stops. The device itself is a rather complex mechanism, so there are many different reasons for its breakdown. The most common problems are contained in the operating instructions. You should know the reasons why the trimmer stalls in order to effectively repair the device yourself.
When you press the gas
If the lawn mower stops when the throttle is pressed, the reasons may be as follows.
- The most common option is carburetor adjustment failure, which occurs under significant loads on the drive, after prolonged inactivity of the mechanism or when using it in difficult conditions.
- Clogged fuel valve, which is eliminated by loosening it, as a result of which gasoline begins to flow normally through the system.
- Loosening and drooping of the cable in the carburetor. You may also experience fuel hose stretch up to its rupture, caused by the action of a significant load.
- Clogged breather (check valve), as a result of which fuel does not flow into the tank.
If the problem is related to the carburetor unit, then it can be recognized by the appearance of vibrations of the lawn mower.. When the hose bursts or the cable is stretched, these components are replaced.