Weeding cultivator for your power tiller with your own hands
There are several versions of devices for cultivating the soil from weeds. One of them is the so-called slugger for a power tiller.
This device looks like this. Iron frame with several knives and a drum. Designs can be adjusted as desired. By attaching additional blades, you can improve the quality of weed elimination, and by removing an extra row of tines, you can increase speed by reducing resistance.
Before you start weeding, you should set the wheels in the furrows, located in the immediate vicinity.
During work, the fixed blade removes sprouted weeds, while the drum, rotating on the frame, throws the plants back, gently picking them up with its paws.
Hand Soil Tiller With Weeding Blade
Today’s market offers planter blades, on which the blades are arranged horizontally. They are attached to the end parts of the drum.
Weeding potatoes, garlic, beets, corn and other crops in this way will be most effective on young weeds, not strong and weak. If the treatment is not done in time, the roots of the germinated weeds will remain, requiring a second pass.
This is a weeder, consisting of several circular blades of different sizes. There is a distance between them, and on the side parts there are pins to rid the machine of the collected grass.
To date, there are two types of hedgehogs:
- Cone. It is necessary to remove not yet sprouted weeds;
- Rotary. Advantageous functionality is considered to be. weeding, fluffing and hilling. Suitable for all models of power tillers.
Weeding the soil will provide better growing conditions for root crops. The first weeding is recommended 8 days after planting. In a week, a dense layer of soil is formed, serving as an obstacle to the growth of the stems.
You may be interested in making an adapter for a power tiller.
How you can make a hedgehog with your own hands read this article.
The design of the planter must meet the following requirements:
- The hedgehogs are attached to the frame at a 45 degree angle;
- In the base, a mechanical unit is attached, which includes many pieces of smooth reinforcement, with a diameter of up to 3 centimeters. It is perpendicular to the framework.
- The size of hedgehogs on average with disc diameters of 240, 170 and 100 mm, respectively, the processing depth to 15 cm and the width of the inter-row 50-70 cm.
One of the options for weeding is the use of a special cutter for the power tiller:
After assembling a suitable option, you can start weeding. Having set the base on the cultivated areas, you need to gradually move forward.
Why do you need to modernize the cultivator
When using implements like breaker bars, ploughs, etc., a reduction gearing is vital. Because you need more torque at lower speeds. For this purpose it is necessary to speed up the engine to higher revolutions, because the cultivator is designed to work with only one milling machine and to provide the opportunity to install a variety of attachments it is necessary to turn it into a single-axle tractor. To get a reduced gear on the cultivator, it is advisable to install a special reducer on it. Initially it seems that this complex technical device, can only be made in the factory on special equipment.
However, in fact, the redesign of the transmission mechanism, which converts angular velocity into one or more mechanical gears with their own hands is not a difficult task.
How to make a cultivator
Every dacha owner is well acquainted with all the difficulties of cultivating vegetable crops. And most of all it is tiring to cultivate the soil before planting and in the further care of garden plants. To simplify your life, it is enough to make a homemade gasoline or electric cultivator for dacha, which will be used for various agricultural tasks.
Before proceeding to the assembly, it is necessary to understand the types, device and principle of operation of garden devices.
Depending on the type of engine, there are electric and fuel cultivators. The first are characterized by environmental friendliness and low energy consumption. However, they are tied to source of electricity, so they can only be used in greenhouse conditions or in a small vegetable garden that has access to electricity. To make such a unit is simple enough.
The models with internal combustion engines are superior to the previous type in terms of power output and the ability to work without a power connection. But it becomes more expensive to maintain the machine, and harmful exhaust fumes are emitted during operation.
According to the method of tillage, homemade motocultivators can be either self-propelled, equipped with driving wheels, or with a rotating working nozzle, which can be used as a means of movement.
The first option involves two gearboxes. The first one helps the machine to move at a set speed, and the second one rotates the rotor head to till the soil. If there are driving wheels, the cultivator is additionally equipped with planer knives.
There are also simplified self-made machines, where the wheels only rest on the surface, making it easier to move.
From the starter
If you have an unwanted starter motor from your car in the back of your garage, it can be used to make a crude version of a rotary cultivator. To do this, you need to shorten its shaft and slightly modify the front cover, making a few holes in it with a diameter of up to 5 mm. It is necessary for the air intake from the ventilation system. Then the prepared starter is combined into one unit with cutting elements (cutters).
Almost ready installation is fixed to the working platform of the cultivator and tested for performance. Make an electric cultivator with their own hands from a starter can be a couple of hours and with minimal financial outlay.
From an angle grinder
Option samodelka mini-cultivator from the angle grinder is not distinguished by high productivity, but perfectly solves the problem of weeding a small area with light soil. angle grinder in this homemade invention performs the role of an electric drive. The rest of the nodes and parts can be taken from an old non-working cultivator.
To the created from improvised means or taken an old frame, fix an angle grinder, as well as an extension cord on a spool to connect to a power source.
After assembling the basic elements, you can test the machine. If done correctly, the cutters will produce up to 300 rpm.
From the washing machine
Folk craftsmen master the cultivator from an old, unwanted washing machine, which still works, but can no longer be used for the main task of washing. The engine must be removed from the old machinery. It will serve as the basis for the future cultivator and give the washing machine a second life.
In addition to the power unit, you will have to find a two-wire wire, a reducer, a three-meter metal angle, switches, car springs, a start button and a drum with a piece of tin.
Having prepared the necessary elements, you can proceed to the installation work. Initially, welding is carried out, and then the preparation of the cutting elements. It is important to make sure that each blade does not overlap with any other.
The motor itself is connected to the starting and working windings. The first is needed only to start the device, and the second is used all the time.
After all of these steps, you can begin testing the device.
From an old bicycle
No less interesting homemade is a manual cultivator from a bicycle. To make such a device, you need to prepare a metal tube, a frame and a bicycle wheel. You will also need metal workpieces, steel bands, a drill, an angle grinder and a cultivator head.
Mounting work consists of the following steps:
- The head of the cultivator is attached to the bicycle frame. The crossbar and handles are made from metal pipe. These are screwed together.
- Then we take the locknuts. You’ll need them to fix the wheel to the frame.
- After performing these actions, the mechanism can be considered ready. This cultivator can be attached to a plow and related attachments to make it more functional.
From a chainsaw
A chainsaw can be used to make a power tiller with your own hands. As a basis, a powerful chainsaw of domestic or foreign production is used. It is desirable to take the “Druzhba” model, t.к. It is cheaper than imported devices and has the required characteristics.
Garden helper on the basis of “Druzhba” accelerates up to 2.5 km/h, and the power value is equal to 4 l. с.
The step-by-step assembly guide is as follows:
- The main halyard is fitted with a collar flange. This is necessary for the subsequent connection of the bridge gearboxes.
- Then we take the sprockets (can be from an old UAZ) and the double-row chain. Parts are needed to raise the distance from the axle with reduction unit to the ground. The timing sprockets can increase the distance by 15 cm.
- Housing bearings and a gearbox are installed on the key axle.
- To fix the cutting elements, it is necessary to use a tube of steel. It is important to make sure that the direction of cutters corresponds to the movement of the power tiller.
- After completing the assembly work, a weight capable of holding the center of gravity is attached to the frame.
- For convenient operation of the machine it is equipped with handles.
The last step is to check the homemade cultivator for efficiency. If there are any defects or malfunctions, these can be eliminated.
of the grass trimmer
Various attachments are available for the brushcutter that turn it into a potato digger, a device for making furrows or plowing the soil. Self-made cultivators on the basis of the grass trimmer are especially popular for hard-to-access areas where it is impossible to work with a large power tiller with a trailer. A hand-held device called the “Hedgehog” is the best option. Assembling simple parts and elements, “Hedgehogs” can be made by yourself. All you need is a U-shaped bracket with holes, a shaft, a handle and spiked wheels.
You need to have good wheels to move the machine around the garden properly. To do this, you can take old pancakes and equip them with metal spikes. The spikes are made of rebar sharpened into a cone shape. Finished cutting elements are fastened to the axle, then it is inserted into the bracket and fixed on both sides.
A bracket is welded to the ends and inserted into the cutter. It remains to check the machine for malfunctions, eliminate them (if any) and start weeding rows.
From a drill
Annual work in the garden causes a lot of troubles and difficulties for dacha owners. To save time and effort, many craftsmen invent semi-automatic devices that provide efficient processing of soil and garden crops.
To create a compact el. a cultivator with a good KPI (key performance indicators) a construction drill can be used. This option is suitable for weeding potatoes and simple agricultural tasks.
Single-axle tractor with their own hands
The advantage of a homemade power tiller is its price. If it will be assembled qualitatively, then in its characteristics will not be inferior to the factory.
It is necessary to determine what area will be cultivated by the power tiller, and what features the soil has. From this depends on how much power the engine should have.
The motor can be suitable from other agricultural equipment (from a chainsaw), but in this case it is necessary to supplement it with a forced cooling system. It is also necessary to create a frame to which the engine, wheels and handle will be attached.
comprehensive information on how to make a single-axle tractor with their own hands can be found here:
Cost of Ploughshare
The ploughshare can be made by yourself
The skidder and its application. Tools of the vegetable garden order
Plow rake for power tiller. this is a type of mounted equipment, the function of which is to remove weeds. In the process, this device quickly cuts the stems of harmful plants, leaving them to rot on the plot. Subsequently, weeds are transformed into high quality organic fertilizer, which can significantly accelerate the growth and development of crops grown.
Ploughshare for power tiller with your own hands. how to make it
Nowadays there are various ploughshares for single axle tractors on the market. They have different shapes and sizes. However, in order to speed up the work on the cultivated area, it is not necessary to buy equipment. it is enough to make it with your own hands. First of all for this you need to familiarize yourself with the schemes. Blueprints should promptly suggest how and in what sequence the parts will be attached in the overall construction.
To assemble a plough a single-axle tractor, you will need the following materials and tools:
- a sheet of forged steel, about 5-6 mm thick;
- a piece of metal sheet, about 2 mm thick;
- A piece of 4 x 4 cm profile pipe. The thickness of the pipe walls should be at least 3 mm;
- Angle grinder and an electric drill;
- welding machine.
Having assembled everything you need for the work and having carefully studied the selected drawings, you can proceed directly to the assembly.
Making a plane for the power tiller should be carried out in the following order:
- First you will need to cut out the rack. To do this with an angle grinder on a sheet of hardened steel you need to make incisions strictly according to the drawing. After that, it will be necessary to drill holes on the rack;
- A thin sheet of metal is used to cut out the foot of the manufactured plane. On a special anvil bend a part strictly according to the scheme. For the subsequent assembly of the foot you need to use rivets, and then weld the assembly into a single structure;
- Profile pipe is needed to cut out blanks, from which later will be assembled frame ploughshare and fixed tools. In this case, the principle of lowering and raising the frame should be carefully thought out;
- After that, you need to make a hitch, which is necessary for the installation of all the elements made flatlander;
- Next, you need to work out a scheme for installing the manufactured attachments to a single-axle tractor. All data obtained should be transferred to the frame of the equipment. After this, it is necessary to make plates, with which the coupling mechanism will be fixed. Then it is necessary to be sure to check the lifting and lowering of the structure;
- In the finishing stage the ready ploughshare for a cultivator must be covered with primer, paint and a special anticorrosive agent. Video demonstrates the production of the ploughshare.
The home-made plough can be successfully used both for light and heavy power tillers. It can be used in pair with power tillers Neva, as well as agricultural machines of other domestic and foreign manufacturers.
Weeding potatoes by hand, cultivator (hedgehog) and power tiller
The volume and quality of the crop depend on correct and timely potato weeding. This common horticultural crop is responsive to weeding and needs to be weeded more than once or even twice per season.
Potatoes sprout later than weeds, then we have to do another weeding or more to remove weeds in time to improve the quality of the garden produce. That’s why weeding as an agricultural technique always takes a lot of effort and time for dacha and gardeners. Today, however, many people use technical means to facilitate this work. In particular, the hedgehogs are used on the cultivator for potatoes. You can buy a motocultivator soil with ready-made trailed attachments, but we will tell you how to make hedgehogs for weeding potatoes with your own hands, the drawings will also offer below.
The hedgehogs for weeding potatoes with a power tiller with their own hands
Hedgehogs to a motor-block have another significant advantage, namely. a simple design, thanks to which they are extremely easy to make with their own hands. All that is required. it is to have the necessary tools and materials at hand, as well as the study of detailed schemes. The drawings will help to perform the assembly of the equipment consistently, avoiding errors. It is extremely important that the dimensions of all parts are specified in the scheme, otherwise the ripper will be disproportionate, and when working it will always be skidded to a certain side.
To assemble the device will need to prepare:
- 3 discs of hardened steel. they should have the same diameter;
- A steel pipe, up to 3 cm in diameter;
- Hardened steel bars. they should be used to cut the sharpest spikes for the equipment being made;
- 2 identical guide wheels. they will help to reduce the load on the hitch mechanism of the power tiller;
- bracket for fixing the wheels.
If you can not find suitable identical disks, you can use any identical steel rings instead. this will serve as a kind of advantage, as the entire construction will be much easier, and when working will not trample the soil.
Both discs and rings must have a certain diameter. in most cases hedgehogs with discs, 10, 17 or 24 cm in diameter, are used for weeding potatoes. For work on bigger plots, where there is more distance between the rows of planted potatoes, you can make hedgehogs with rings, 30, 40 and 50 cm in diameter.
The sequence of actions when assembling hedgehogs for the power tiller is as follows:
- To begin with you need to fix the discs or rings you are using. For this purpose, the parts are mounted by means of crosspieces on the pipe in such a way that after installation they are positioned at an angle of 45 ⁰;
- Next, you will need to weld the studs securely. Before that, they have to be cut from a prepared steel bar. Each tenon must have a length of 10 to 14 cm. when choosing this parameter the type of the ground to be processed should be taken into account. Each disc has the same number of spikes;
- To improve the quality of weeding, several long spikes can be welded to the tube itself.
Handmade hedgehogs for weeding potatoes can be mounted on a single axle tractor. The position of the hedgehogs can be adjusted on the implement’s hitch if necessary.