What are grinders. Smooth start
What kind of grinder should I choose? CBN, CBN, CBN ?
Article for those who do not know what to choose a grinding machine for home, belt, eccentric, or flat grinder?
In brief, then: you can grind anything, even in the hands of an ordinary grinder. The question is different. How much time you are willing to spend on the operation, what quality you need, and how much you are willing to pay for time and quality.
I want to tell at once that I would be for masters to have all kinds of grinders, because there is no universal tool. But there are situations when it is not possible to buy everything at once, so let’s deal with what you need to buy in the first place.
In common parlance, the angle grinder. It is also a angle grinder. angle grinder. Invented in 1954 by a German company Ackermann Schmitt (FLEX-Elektrowerkzeuge GmbH). Characterized by high productivity and high risk of injury.
angle grinders are different. one-hand, two-hand, with speed regulator, with constant electronics, with vibration protection, with protection against overload, cordless, gasoline, mini angle grinder, with flat gearbox, with a switch to work with one hand, with an extended handle, with enhanced motor dust protection, connecting a vacuum cleaner, and so on.д. in general, I will definitely make a separate article on angle grinders.
Differences between domestic and professional equipment
The main functional difference between domestic and professional grinders is the duration of continuous operation. For the first standard time grinding without stopping is from 5 to 10 minutes, after which you need to take a break for about the same time. For the latter, continuous processing may last 15÷20 minutes or more with a short break of 5 minutes. The second important difference is the possible operating conditions and degree of protection of the power tool. Professional grinders have better protection against dust, moisture, insulation breakdown and overheating. The third factor that distinguishes these two groups of grinding tools is durability, which is directly related to the duration of daily use. To make an ordinary power tool last at least for several years, it should be used not more than two-three hours per day, while a professional one can work every day in a complete two-shift mode.
In addition, professional grinders are equipped as standard with additional functions, which are partially present only in some domestic models of the upper price range. In order to achieve all of these indicators, high performance materials and components are used in the manufacture of professional power tools, and additional technical solutions are applied. That’s why it’s several times more expensive than a household appliance of the same power.
Many well-known manufacturers produce power tools in different colors depending on its purpose. For example, Bosh grinders for professional use are blue, and for home and amateur use. green.
Like any other repair tool, grinders are often equipped with additional conveniences and electronics that simplify the work.
- Power lock. Devices of this type can cause various injuries, so manufacturers equip them with protection against accidental activation.
- Clip or velcro fastener. Abrasive material on some grinders, such as angle grinders, can be attached to the rotating plate with special clips or velcro. Clamps are more reliable and are suitable for machining hard materials with sufficient pressure force when working. If you are engaged in light sanding of not very hard or viscous surfaces, the Velcro clamps are suitable, with which the change of abrasive becomes many times faster and easier.
- Soft start. Eliminates the need to run the unit at full speed. This protects the surface from accidental scratches and is safer for you when working.
- Speed and RPM adjustment. If you are looking for a multi-tool that can be used on a variety of hard surfaces, then this feature is a must.
- Disk autobalancing. Used in angle grinders and eccentric grinders. Automatically aligns the tool, which over time wears out in certain places, causing its weight and balance to change.
- Protective shrouds and safety systems. Definitely do not start working with rotating tools without it.
- Dust collectors and ability to connect a vacuum cleaner. Suitable for applications where the surface needs to be kept clean to control the quality of work and prevent fine sand from getting under the abrasive material. Will also reduce contamination of the surroundings during sanding.
- Additional equipment. Many manufacturers offer a wide range of tools and accessories with their grinders. You can use the filter on our website to find the right one for you.
Among the most popular belt models are the following:
SURFACE GRINDING part 1, basic principals, wheel dressing, prepping for first cut, speeds & feeds
- Bosch PBS 75 AE. used for sanding boards and beams.
- Metabo BAE 75 is a 1 kW device used for polishing solid wood.
- The Makita 9403 is a wide belt sander which enables you to sand floors, walls and large wooden objects.
important! Ribbon models create a lot of dust during work and therefore should be used in special rooms reserved for sanding wood.
Examples of task-specific models
Choosing the CMM, you must accurately determine the tasks to be performed. As an example, you can sort out a specific situation: the grinder for cars. which is better?
For repairing and sanding cars
For initial processing you can pick up a unit Sturm BS8511U. It is ideally suited for initial scraping of metal surfaces, and stripping of paint coating. This is a very useful unit, if you want to repaint certain parts of the car, before you clean the surface.
Unfortunately, the unit is not suitable for finish polishing. And so for further auto repair, you can use a special machine UPN 1200/180 EM 00000020585, designed for polishing.
The provided information is enough to understand what grinders are, and independently choose a unit for home, cottage or professional needs.
Next, the eccentric models and their specific selection criteria:
- The main parameter is the size of the eccentric. This has already been mentioned above. Let’s just add that the greater this parameter, the higher is the performance, but the quality of processing is reduced.
- The diameter of the working body. the sole. There are four of them: 90, 100, 120 and 150 mm. Experienced craftsmen give their preference to the 150mm ones because they have a high capacity.
- The presence or absence of a brake function. It protects the tool from spontaneous rotation and, as an option, a soft start. By the way, it is the presence of this function that speaks for the high quality of the tool offered.
Such a device instead of a disk (as on conventional grinders) has a roller covered with metal bristles. The top of the roller is closed with a steel casing that protects the operator’s eyes from metal and other dust. Also note that the additional handle is not straight but curved for ease of use. Otherwise, it is an ordinary angle grinder.
Brush sanders are used for paint and rust removal. For example, due to the fact that the roller of this device has solid bristles, the device does a better job of cleaning paint from old iron gates than the same drill with a brush head, which can miss areas of paint. By the way you can use rollers, not only with metal wire, but also with an abrasive coating. Abrasive rollers are convenient when working with wood.
Grinders. Differences, comparison, selection issues
“Need to buy an angle grinder!”. with this question begins familiarity with grinders. The first discovery. the angle grinder turns out to be the grinders. Most often, the angle grinder is not used for grinding, but as a compact cutter for sawing metal parts.
So, let’s break things down by the shelves, grinders come in:
- – Straight grinders
- – Angle grinders (angle grinder), they are “angle grinder
- – Belt grinders
- – Vibrating grinders (VSM), aka flat grinders (PM)
- – Eccentric grinders, they are also orbital grinders
Now in more detail, for detail lovers:
Angular (angle grinder). the most common type of grinders (another name. angle grinder). Of all the grinders, this is the most versatile tool, because such machines are used not only for polishing and grinding surfaces, but also for cutting and processing stone and metal.
Can grind, deburr, and polish, depending on the equipment of the grinder. angle grinder not suitable for wood!
Straight grinders, similar to an angle grinder, but the working disk or sharpener is located directly on the axis of the machine. Straight grinders are required for precise work that requires careful manual work. In this regard, straight grinders have low weight and power. Can be operated comfortably with one hand. Tasks to be performed. grind corners, edges, hard-to-reach places, cut materials of small thicknesses, engrave.
Grinding smooth fillet on metal consistently
Belt (LSM). the usual grinding machines in the understanding of most ordinary people. Belt sander or emery paper rotates on two rollers. Large working area and belt speed allow for high productivity. Primarily used for woodworking. Superficially resembles a planer.
Vibratory sanders (VSM). Other name. planogrinding (SPM). Their design is reminiscent of a boot with a large, flat work surface (sole). Grinding is performed at the expense of low-amplitude vibration of the base. reciprocating motion. Purpose. fine grinding, used for wood, stone, plastic, metal. When selecting the PM, pay attention to the amplitude of oscillation and power of the grinder.
Eccentric or orbital (circular) grinders. very similar to vibratory grinders, but with a circular working surface. Accordingly, sanding is supplemented by circular motions, combined with oscillating motions. This complex movement of the working surface makes it possible to grind evenly. Orbital grinders are very versatile, they can be used anywhere, they can cope with any surface. Grinders are also suitable for fine grinding.
This is the end of the constructive differences of grinders. However, apart from design, there are differences between grinders in terms of function and type of equipment. For example:
Brush sanders. are so called because their operating tool is made in the form of metal brushes. Available as a straight, and in the form of LSM, but instead of tape, two metal brush rolls.
Polishing grinders. practically no different from the angle grinder, you can work with cutting discs, but their main area of application is to polish the surface (metal).