What are the Angle Grinder Attachments
The angle grinder is considered a universal tool, since you can replace the nozzle, and the unit is already suitable for solving another problem. Disks differ not only in purpose, but also in size, materials used in the manufacture.
Features and purpose
Nozzles on the angle grinder help the user work not only on wood, but also process metal products, cut glass, and are suitable for brushing. They can be classified by type of use, size, shape. Any nozzle that is used in the design of an angle grinder has its own color, this is a kind of marking that indicates the purpose of the product.
For example, a disc with blue paint is used for metal. To user it is worth remembering that such a product is placed on a tool that is additionally equipped with the ability to adjust the speed, another is not suitable for use.
Outside diameter and circle thickness are the main parameters by which the discs are differentiated.
The product is available in three versions:
The most popular are 125 mm. The least common are circles with a diameter of 150 and 80 mm.
Those nozzles that are used for processing concrete and stone coatings are made exclusively of silicon carbide, since this material provides the necessary efficiency. However, this nozzle is not used for cutting red bricks, it is better to take with diamond spraying.
As for wood processing, it can be rough or not.
For the first option, planer discs are used, through which you can quickly trim a log or wooden post. You can only use this tip on a tool that has a second handle. You can remove the protective cover, since the destruction of the nozzle is unlikely due to the integral design of the disk.
If you need to remove the bark, you should use a disk for peeling, which perfectly replaces the ordinary and more familiar hand tool. An ax. They can additionally cut not too thick boards.
For better processing of wooden blanks, abrasive discs are used, but for this the operator must have the skill and ability.
Often, to work with the described material use the milling cutters necessary for sawing, edge trimming, cutting the bowl. If such a nozzle is taken, then it is impossible to remove the cover intended for additional operator protection, and the speed at which the disk rotates must be that specified by the manufacturer.
In addition, the angle grinder is a tool used as a grinding unit.
If this is the initial treatment, then cord brushes are used, since they quickly level the surface. The ends are treated with the corresponding end disks.
The petal type nozzles are always used in the amount of several products, since it will be necessary to take separately for various operations performed.
They begin to work with the disk on which the large abrasive is located, then the grain should be smaller and smaller in size. You can use grinding discs when preparing the base before painting, cycling, and edge treatment.
To polish the wood, use the appropriate discs, the working base of which is made from various, softer materials, for example, sponges, skins.
Disks that are mounted on circular saws are not allowed to be used on an angle grinder, since the edge cannot withstand the load and the teeth fly apart.
Which are there?
If we classify the disks by the material that was used by the manufacturer in the manufacture, then they are:
- With abrasive;
Diamond cutting wheels are based on steel, which is specially sprayed. The versatility of the discs made them popular in the market.
The nozzle, which is called the “turtle,” also has a diamond coating, but it is based on flexible rubber, which is particularly durable. The nozzle has a grooved structure, they cling with Velcro. If we talk about the design features of the nozzle, then this is a circle in the form of a plate with a special quality adhesive applied to the surface.
When performing this task, specialized paper is used, on which there is also a layer of glue, due to which the required level of fixation is achieved. The plate has a different thickness, depending on the model. The manufacturer makes it both hard and soft.
Experts do not recommend using hard during grinding or polishing, as carelessness leads to a dent.
At the time of operation of the circle with Velcro, the user needs to understand that when moving he develops a great speed, therefore heats up. Therefore, products with holes are preferable because they are better cooled. It is required and constantly monitor the degree of wear of the nozzle, otherwise the user will work as a base.
For the manufacture of carbide discs, special alloys are used that form a strong joint. At the edge there is a solder, which consists of high-carbon steel with molybdenum, nickel, and chromium. Abrasive products are made from latex paper because it is characterized as a material with high density and water resistance. The design has a reinforced mesh, on which the abrasive coating is applied.
Sometimes circles have a polymer base. Stripping discs have a metal wire, due to which the paint, varnish or rust is removed from the surface.
Types of disks are used for:
- Cutting material;
- Polishing and grinding;
Disks for a high-quality cut are used much more often; they are put on the market of various types. If it is a circle for metal, then its diameter is usually 115-230 mm, and 125 mm is also on sale. From the diameter of the nozzle, the thickness of the product also varies, as a rule, it is from 1 to 3.2 mm.
Inexpensive cutting discs are usually about 2.5 mm, grinding grinding wheels have a greater thickness of about 6 mm. The bore diameter is always 22.2 mm.
Abrasives are more widely used; they cut and polish not only stone, but also metal. In comparison with them diamonds have better performance, since they cut material faster, moreover, they have a high level of security.
Nozzles, the main purpose of which is surface treatment of stone, differ little in parameters from those used when necessary to cut metal, however, they use a different abrasive.
Wood products look like saws, it is dangerous to work with them, so you should be especially careful. It is best to use those discs that have small teeth, and not a large feed. In parallel, it is best to use a special mount to remotely fix the element.
Standard cutting discs are lightweight and inexpensive. Diamond coated on one side with a special coating, universal, because they can cut any material, so they are expensive and have more weight than the rest. Such abrasive nozzles with two or one ring of applied abrasive are supplied for sale. They can create a continuous cut or with transverse cuts.
At first glance, it is difficult for an inexperienced buyer to understand why this or that product can be used, so you should familiarize yourself with the data indicated on the package.
You can also find many options for felt disks in the market:
- With a sponge;
- With matter;
- With sandpaper;
- With felt;
- With the ability to change the grinding skin.
To use such a device, an additional grinding paste is used, which contains a fine abrasive. Often tungsten carbide grinding disks are necessary for operation, which are a cheaper equivalent to disks made from diamond, therefore their service life is much lower.
It is very important that the user pay attention to the quality of the abrasive that is used in the design. The quality of the treated surface is directly dependent on this indicator.
If rough cleaning is necessary, then it is worth using products with emery abrasive 40-80. There are also products with an abrasive index of up to 3000, which are not much different from ordinary paper. They are more expensive and allow you to achieve the highest quality polish.
Fiber products are made of thin and flexible fibers bonded with a special resin. They must be used with a lining. Such discs have a wide range of applications, are quickly replaced by equipment. They create the necessary pressure zone on the material, easily saw it, are supplied at an affordable price. You can work with them at different speeds.
Nylon mesh is ideal for removing paint and rust. However, it can act too strongly on the metal and remove its more acceptable thickness, in this case, special sponges are used that do not damage aluminum, so their use is possible on fiberglass.
What are the Angle Grinder Attachments
Peeling or even such disks are called grinding wheels, they are also different:
- Diamond coated;
- With abrasive;
- With twisted wire.
To work well on the surface of stone or metal, it is necessary to take a nozzle with twisted wire.
The design of such a product is very simple, it has two cups, and between them is clamped a steel brush made up of a wire of a certain diameter. Abrasive grinding wheels for sharpening are used to sharpen various tools, as well as to clean the weld. In the middle there is a hole, the thickness of the product is from 5 mm.
Diamond for grinding are very similar to the previous version, except that they use only one part, where the working edge is located. When working with such a product, there are limitations. Metal workpieces and surfaces should not be processed, only stone and concrete. There are other nozzles that cannot be ignored.
For primary processing of wood, rough and sloppy cleaning take:
Nozzle disk planer allows you to completely replace the hand tool, so the time to complete the task is significantly reduced. The product is simply indispensable if it is necessary to carry out roughing, which is very appreciated in the construction of log cabins or the preparation of wooden poles.
During work the user is required to wear protective clothing, including eyewear, no bare arms and legs, because wood chips can fly off at high speed.
Peeling discs are used as an alternative to a carpentry ax. Sometimes they cut the material, only the cut is wide, with a large number of sawdust.
The described tool is also used for milling when milling cutters are used. The former are present in the market in a rich assortment, have differences in size of abrasive grain. Such a nozzle has a few differences, when compared with a rasp, only the speed of the task is the main difference.
If there is sufficient experience, then it is possible to finish processing through the product. Milling cutters go on sale specially made for working with wood.
- Tooth dimensions;
- The location of the sharp ends on the edge.
The main scope of such a product is the formation of a bowl, groove selection, edge alignment. They can produce and cut a small workpiece with the appropriate cross-section.
Particular attention should be paid to grinding wheels.. They act as a universal assistant. To change such a device is simple, do it as necessary, when significant wear of the working surface becomes noticeable, while the nozzle remains. Used for sanding wood, scouring, trimming or edge trimming.
As for the petal discs, they are very similar in principle to the use of “turtles”, the only significant drawback is that such a nozzle is disposable, so the cost of processing wood grows significantly.
A disk looks like a small plate on which sandpaper was pasted in several layers. Granularity may vary, depending on the model that the user has selected.
Most often, such nozzles are used for rough processing not only wood, but also metal, and therefore the size of the abrasive is from 40 to 100.
If we examine in more detail the shortcomings of this type of nozzles, then with a large number of revolutions, the disk wears out quickly, becomes clogged, especially if a fine-grained product is used. Such a circle is best used to remove a layer of paint, for example, on the back of a car, to be sure that the metal will not be able to damage much.
If you want to increase the life of the product, then you should work at low speeds and carefully control the degree of pressure, otherwise dents may form on the surface.
Metal brushes are also used as nozzles for the described type of tool. There are many modifications on the market that differ in the thickness of the wire used. They are used to clean various products, including removing rust, varnish or scale from welding.
If we consider products by the type of wire used, then they can be as follows.
- Corrugated Steel Flat. They are used for rough processing of a metal surface, as a rule, the wire diameter is in the range from 0.3 to 0.4 mm.
- Twisted. The main difference is that the wire in the design is twisted and assembled into a bundle, although it is still made of steel. As a result, in such a design, the brush has special strength, rigidity and resistance to wear. Using the nozzle, you can quickly remove a thick layer of paint, process a large surface area.
- Brass: Used when special care is required from a person. They are not suitable for polishing, but due to the use of soft and thin wire, the surface will be cleaned thoroughly, without the formation of gross irregularities. Often the nozzle is used in the processing of wood, but only draft.
- Cup-shaped. They are made of twisted wire, but the diameter is 0.7-0.8 mm. It can be used with great effort, they allow you to quickly remove paint and rust. On sale there are nozzles not only for processing wood and metal, but also stone, including polishing granite or marble. As a rule, these are diamond bowls that come in different sizes. The cutting part is located on the outer surface, hence the high efficiency.
If the user wants softer processing, then it is recommended to use the turbo option, where the cutting part is fan-shaped along the edge, hence the higher quality of processing. It is worth remembering that to work with such a nozzle you will need a powerful tool with a maximum speed.
Of all the models presented on the modern market, we will single out a few.
- Dewalt DW4523 4-1 / 2-Inch 1/4 inch. It has a low lock system. The built-in grid allows to carry out face work with one eighth blade. The model has 3 sheets of fiberglass, which make an attractive service life. It features a high concentration of abrasive and a smoothly running wheel.
- P80 ½ BAOSTC 4. It has zirconium oxide on the surface. It has high performance and durability. It is made with a backing of fiberglass. The rod is removed quickly during operation, there is not much noise at the time of use. Users are attracted by the low price.
- Sandblaster 3M 9677 4-1 / 2. Sharpening products, including mower blades. Due to its high quality, it will last a long time, however, an adapter will be required to drive. They are great for finishing various surfaces. It is used when it is necessary to sand metal or when it is necessary that the polished surface looks perfect. It has high strength, works like a regular fiber disc, but has an improved design.
- Dewalt DW8061B5 4-Inch. It has high performance, has a thin design of the cutting edge and two full sheets of fiberglass. On the surface is aluminum oxide.
The product is suitable for use with any type of stainless steel.
Most attachments to a tool such as an angle grinder are universal. Their main area of use is cutting and polishing. If the tool is used professionally, it is necessary that the disks to it be appropriate.
Before buying a large or small angle grinder, it is necessary to establish the type of disk that corresponds to the task. The size is of no small importance, and with it the power of the motor in the design of the angle grinder is also taken into account.
Most popular at 115 and 230 millimeters. There are situations when a worker uses a small disk size for a pneumatic tool. Such hand-held units can improve the accuracy, which is extremely necessary when performing a number of tasks.
Not in the last place when choosing comfort, but it largely depends on weight and size.
If you do not plan to use a power tool for a large construction site, then it is worth choosing an angle grinder and disks for it with a smaller diameter.
It’s more convenient to work with such an aggregate, and it fits better in the hand, vibration is not transmitted so much, so you can hold it longer.
When choosing a drive, it’s not always worth choosing a cheap option, because in the future you can overpay twice. Diamond is more expensive, but also allows you to make a straight, clean cut even after several uses. They also have a much longer shelf life than abrasive. For some, its cost may seem unbearable, however, it can be saved if you look in the long run.
The main distinguishing feature of a high-quality disc is the abrasive material that is applied.
Disks for sanding began to be made in the 70s of the last century, over time they became more advanced and have a longer life. They are used not only for metal, but also for wood. When it comes to wood processing, nothing works better than abrasive bits. They have carbide particles that work on all types of wood. These extremely sharp, conical teeth provide excellent surface removal of the layer, while remaining easy to use and can be controlled to control the angle of the angle grinder.
There are products on sale that are very similar to a chainsaw. They are made of steel, the teeth are sharpened well. At the time of use, maximum caution is required from a person. At the time of purchase of the disk, it is very important that the diameter on the outside is not greater than the set maximum value that the manufacturer of an angle grinder allows. As an example, we can take a tool with a threshold diameter of 125 mm.
The user should not place a nozzle with a diameter of 230 mm, because:
- The speed of the cutting edge is exceeded, as a result of which it collapses and can simply fly apart, causing injury to the user;
- A tool with small dimensions simply will not pull in the power of working with such a device;
- Even if a disk of a larger diameter is placed on the equipment, it will be necessary to remove the protection, and this is a direct violation of the rules dictated by safety requirements.
Landing diameter on modern units is 22.2 mm.
If the user has an outdated model, then to use modern disks you will need to purchase an adapter or adapter.
On any abrasive wheel there is a special marking that simplifies the selection process to the user.
She points to:
- Seat size;
- Maximum speed of revolutions;
- Materials that can be processed using such a nozzle.
How to use?
There are several rules on how to use disks to not only perform the task correctly, but also not to suffer.
- Before turning on the angle grinder, regardless of which nozzle is used by the operator, it is worth looking at the element for defects. Cracks, missing fragments, or other damage to the disc are potential hazards. Never use a damaged disc, as it can potentially tear out and throw a piece of material at a high speed towards a person.
- Never use a cutting disc for grinding, because the product is thin and not designed to withstand lateral pressure, in contrast to discs used specifically for this purpose. They can bend and collapse. If you apply lateral edges to the material, it will thin the disk, overload it and potentially lead to the fact that it simply will fly apart into small pieces.
- Discs should not be used at a speed greater than that for which they were designed. There is a mark on the surface indicating the maximum speed. The larger the disk, the lower the maximum speed of its rotation.
- Before working, make sure that the flange nut is tightened tightly and that the disc itself is installed correctly.
- Do not use the nozzle if the expiration date has passed. The material suffers from moisture and time, loses its original qualities, which leads to softening of the binder resin and weakening of the structure.
- The “cavity” on the indented central disc should face outward.
- If stainless steel is to be cut, then a nozzle made of difficult abrasive material is used. Thinner ones are available for metal cutting and are used for metal profiles. They dissect the material quickly, with less friction, without damaging the protective coating. However, they also wear out faster. Diamond can be used to cut brick, stone, concrete, slate and tile.
- The best way to cut metal is to first mark the cut line using a Tippex type marker. Then ridges are cut first, and then hollows. The best way to avoid a rollback is to cut the ridges from the back by pulling the angle grinder toward you, and then cut the grooves away from you. The sheets for the metal profile are so thin that the disk can deviate and hit the edge, then it just bursts. In any case, the pressure should be minimal in order to reduce the likelihood of a similar situation.
Thin discs used for stainless steel are best suited to minimize friction and prevent burning of the paintwork.
For how to change the nozzle for an angle grinder, see the next.